Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 21, 2022 7:29 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007

A long-awaited feature is finally available on Desktop!

Today, we have added a BBCode Editor to forum and private message text boxes, along with a number of new BBCode tags, including:
  • [font=]
  • [img width= height=] sizing options
  • [img alt= title=] description options
  • [justify], [sub] (subscript), [sup] (superscript) formatting
  • [pre] tags to paste pre-formatted text like ascii art
  • [hr] to add horizontal lines
  • [table] tags to create tables
This functionality will be added to profile comments, clubs, and other text boxes soon!

The editor can be a bit finicky when using complex BBcode and switching back and forth between visual editor and code view. We're still trying to stamp out a few weird display bugs. If you want to make a heavily formatted post, you may want to continue working in code view for now. To switch to code view, use the button on the far-right of the bar.

For simple, everyday posts we hope that this will help you write with ease!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 21, 2022 7:35 PM

Dec 2019
I was gonna make a thread on CD talking about this since I saw no posts in relation to this here on the Announcements board lol

IT'S FINALLY HERE!!!!!!! This makes me (and probably other forum users) so happy, this is seriously so cool thank you guys for adding this!
Dec 21, 2022 7:46 PM

Nov 2018
Looks like one of my suggestions finally come to fruition: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2063256

I wonder how long this has been in the works for?

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Dec 21, 2022 7:48 PM

Oct 2020
Finally! Some new users can get a taste of nice bbcode
oh godddd finally some new coding commands as well les gooo
a suggestion is maybe the hr code command can get coloured as well, similar to how u can colour an underline or even a strikethrough, font doesn’t seem to work rn it only has one font assigned i assume?
SethisprDec 21, 2022 8:06 PM
Dec 21, 2022 7:51 PM

May 2016
Woah Nice

Dec 21, 2022 7:59 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Can we be allowed to set if our default will be the new view or the source view? or at least have it remember our last selected option

Will there be a way to edit links in the new editor? or must it only be with source view?

For the colors, can't it be the selector that allows for more variety? 
(the one that's like a bar and such, tho I know it's better to have basic colors for those that aren't as familiar with these)

Will there be finally a fix for how the new post windows size and all the problems still related to that?
(see here for more)

first column
Test
second column
Test

- test
    - test

Test
text

Test sub
Test sup
SheyCroixDec 21, 2022 8:06 PM

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Dec 21, 2022 8:15 PM

Sep 2020
THIS FUNCTION WAS REALLY NECCESARY, THANK YOU KINNETA AAA
I'm exhausted about make bbcode manually always 

Suggest: Add emotes exclusives from MAL, reacting to  posts would be funny with this ; )

Dec 21, 2022 8:50 PM

Jan 2013
I don't like this new update.
Can i have things like it were before?????

The View Source is breaking my existing code. I can't update anything without breaking it. The thing is that button repeats code unnecessarily, translates the existing code in another way but NOT the original one. I want to keep my posts looking like they always were but if i update them it won't be possible.

Example:
How it looked before: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1886009&show=150#msg65315390
How it looks now: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1983710&show=150#msg68180187

That's the code i came up with for not having tabs. Also it keeps the list numbers black. Notepad has more functions and freedom than this. If something worked before, keep it working.

It's a shitty tool, don't need it and don't want it.
Wyvern22Dec 21, 2022 9:27 PM
Dec 21, 2022 9:14 PM

Nov 2009
Hmm... is it just me or does "Copy & Paste" not work for this new BBCode?

I can't copy or paste anything in the text box...
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Dec 21, 2022 9:57 PM

Dec 2013
Can Someone please tell me why I have spaces between the lines of this post, there is no lines between in the edit and when I backspace and ends up on the same line. So I don't know if there is actually anything I can do about it. 

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2064019#msg68222009
Dec 21, 2022 10:06 PM
Sep 2015
the feeling that we are gradually leaving the stone age
Dec 21, 2022 10:13 PM

Dec 2013
Hibbington said:
Can Someone please tell me why I have spaces between the lines of this post, there is no lines between in the edit and when I backspace and ends up on the same line. So I don't know if there is actually anything I can do about it. 

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2064019#msg68222009

So when you press the center button on the panel it puts a on every single line, which then puts a space between each line. 
I don't if that is an issue, or how its suppose to be, but I surely will not be pressing that button. 
Dec 21, 2022 10:43 PM

Nov 2020
Back in my day sonny, we had to write BBCode by hand. I remember having to spend hours messing with it to post a simple reply. You kids have it easy these days, what with your fancy editors and whatnot. You have it too easy, and one day, once the editor is broken, [bold]you will not know how to even post a simple message.[/bold]

Dec 21, 2022 10:50 PM

Oct 2010
mal act8ng like this is something major when in fact it should have been obligatory and easy to do 10 years ago
Dec 21, 2022 10:54 PM

Jan 2020
Great Update.

It makes life pretty easy not gonna lie

Dec 21, 2022 10:55 PM

Jul 2021
Great update, should make things much easier 🙏

Dec 21, 2022 11:06 PM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
Still no ability to edit posts in a club I see.  So, the updates we want we don't get, and we only get the superfluous ones

No surprise here
Dec 21, 2022 11:53 PM
Jan 2021
Nice Update.

1. It's automatically adding numbers too
  2. when enter is pressed. Nice!

It is shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.
Dune
Dec 22, 2022 1:04 AM

Jan 2009
nice update but again with the incomplete feature during release like still waiting for that timer on seasonal page its been 9000 years
Dec 22, 2022 1:05 AM

Mar 2008
Nice feature, although I spotted an issue in design or a bug when you insert spoilers it’s impossible to tell when it begins and ends because it just makes the button appear without hiding the text inside it in the editor nor inserts the brackets. It’s also hard to edit the text of the spoiler button itself without accidentally deleting it. You also can’t distinguish between quote and code blocks when there is no text in them though that’s not too big an issue I assume but we will see if anyone has problem with that I guess. 

EDIT: Also the cursor is currently inside of the quote block when you quote a user. It would be better if it was outside of it. 

traedDec 22, 2022 3:58 AM
Dec 22, 2022 1:37 AM

Apr 2011
Incredible setback for the AWC at the moment because you launched it in an unfinished state. Our host spent an entire evening trying to fix one post. Our entire coding progress for next year is a mess right now. Hopefully we can launch in the first week of January like this, but at this point I honestly doubt it.

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge
Dec 22, 2022 1:51 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
[b][size=200][font="Times New Roman"]JoJo's Bizarre Adventure[/font][/size][/b]
[i][size=150][font="Lucida Console"]Chainsaw Man[/font][/size][/i]

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Chainsaw Man

[img=400x200 align=right alt="alt" title="mal"]https://cdn.myanimelist.net/img/sp/icon/apple-touch-icon-256.png[/img]

alt

[justify]
Attack on Titan[sub]Shingeki no Kyojin[/sub]
Land of Lustrous[sup]Houseki no Kuni[/sup]
[pre]
            1. Anime
                                            2. Manga
[/pre]
[/justify]

Attack on TitanShingeki no Kyojin
Land of LustrousHouseki no Kuni
            1. Anime
                                            2. Manga

[table][tr][td][b]10[/b][/td][td][s][size=80]9[/size][/s][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][table][tr][td]8[/td][td]7[/td][/tr][tr][td]6[/td][/tr][/table][/td][td]5[/td][td]4[/td][/tr][/table]

10 9

8 7

5 4

Dec 22, 2022 2:00 AM

Jan 2021
Will it be available on mobile version too?
Roxy

Dec 22, 2022 2:11 AM

Oct 2013
Dec 22, 2022 2:26 AM

Sep 2010
Oh my God you added something that is actually useful and was actually requested by users? What happened to you MAL? Don't tell me we are also getting dark mode next year.
Dec 22, 2022 3:25 AM
Pecadorrr

Oct 2014
Honestly, this could have waited until after Secret Santa presents are sent.

Dec 22, 2022 3:34 AM

Feb 2010
Will be a good update if you can resolve the many problems with quoting and formatting
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2065303&show=50#msg68224962

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2065303&show=50#msg68226048

And more here I came across initially:

If you copy someone's username from above their profile pic on PC, it turns the @ "you" into this:

@Kineta

Looks different than the usual. 

@Kineta 

I hope that the first one still works to ping someone, looks like it doesn't since the @ hasn't turned into a link. A lot of users copy the username to @ someone and newbies won't figure out that their ping isn't working.

When someone is quoted, please start the new text outside the quote not starting within the quote. Starting outside the quote is the way it used to be, many users are used to that.

I think we're gonna get a lot of people replying to a quote within the quote if you don't address this. We saw this before a little and it was really confusing.

Not being able to horizontally stretch out the edit box anymore really sucks but it's not that necessary I guess. It's hard to stretch out it as it is, please make it easily stretchable like before.  

Also please add drag and dropping images like Discord if MAL is going to cache all the pics anyways
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2053315

Example pic:

Shishio-kunDec 22, 2022 10:46 AM
Dec 22, 2022 3:46 AM

Sep 2017
Finally! This is extremely helpful!
Dec 22, 2022 3:54 AM

Dec 2008
Despite all the efforts been put through, you still haven't added YMP3 BB Code and Schedule/Time-Table BB Code. Especially YMP3 BB Code, which been asked over 10 fucking years, and it's not been implemented yet. Bleh!
Dec 22, 2022 4:13 AM

May 2019
thank you so much, very convenient.
Dec 22, 2022 4:45 AM
バハムート零式

Jul 2008
Thx for the update, it's very convenient for mainly posts.

But for hard code (like Anime Watching Challenges Club), I'd like to can set the default view on source
MALOWEEN 2023

(21/21)
Dec 22, 2022 4:53 AM

Aug 2014
Dec 22, 2022 5:35 AM

Jun 2020
Ohh that's pretty nice and useful new feature there~ I'm still adapting to use it instead type the BBcode manually lol.
Dec 22, 2022 5:37 AM

Dec 2020
wow!
This seem pretty useful :D

Dec 22, 2022 5:38 AM

Aug 2018
woah, great
Dec 22, 2022 5:41 AM

Jan 2016
great addition, since the extension is broken for whatever reason
Dec 22, 2022 5:48 AM

Nov 2015
yeah a very convenient update for those who never used bbcode
all of my codes are a mess right now i cant even update anything without breaking everything
and the view source option isnt a good tool its shit

how its supposed to look

and now...

younger brothers of the death painting wombs,
lend me your strength!! fire!!
like Esou... I must fight with grace!
like Kechizu... I must fight freely!!
and like Yuji... I must fight with power!!!

deliveriescollectionreverie sonata
amazing set by ec secret snowman < 333
Dec 22, 2022 5:56 AM
Mar 2014
Damn, didn't think this was ever going to happen lol
Dec 22, 2022 6:15 AM

Oct 2016
Ok so this may be a good thing but right now I'm having a lot of trouble. I made a club just for all of my cards since I'm a card hoarder. I'm having A LOT of trouble with some of my posts that have a ton of coding from my cards. It's not letting me view the source coding because there is so much of it.  No idea how I'm going to fix this.

** Sadly it looks like ALL of the large posts are going to have to be redone from scratch. I clicked the view source button and waited for 15 minutes for it to give me the code and NOTHING. This may make things a lot easier down the road but right now it sux.
foxxykat1223Dec 22, 2022 6:58 AM
Dec 22, 2022 6:52 AM
Space Brother

Mar 2015
@Kineta
The new editor is neat, but it's literally changing my code whenever I try to edit it, which changes how it looks.

For example, here is a bit of code I sometimes use to make nested lists:
[list=1][*]ITEM 1[list][*]item A[*]item B[/list][*]ITEM 2[list][*]item C[*]item D[*]item E[/list][/list]

The code itself looks cramped, but the result looks nice:
  1. ITEM 1
    • item A
    • item B
  2. ITEM 2
    • item C
    • item D
    • item E
There is no unnecessary extra spacing; everything is even. I don't mind keeping up with cramped code if the output is neat and tidy.

However, after this update, when I try to go and edit that same code, the source editor automatically changes it to this:
[list=1]
[*]ITEM 1
[list]
[*]item A
[*]item B
[/list]

[*]ITEM 2
[list]
[*]item C
[*]item D
[*]item E
[/list]

[/list]

...which would be fine, except this completely changes what the list looks like:

1. ITEM 1

• item A
    • item B

2. ITEM 2

• item C
    • item D
    • item E

Bloated and ugly. Is there no way to have the editor keep the code exactly as it's entered? Why does it change to something literally different than what was entered? Please please please give us some sort of option to keep the code exactly as we enter it, instead of automatically changing it to something unwanted and ugly.

EDIT: New problem - any size tags I use over 200 are automatically shrunk to size=200 when I go to edit the post.

EDIT 2: Another new problem, again involving list tags:
[list][color=#33CCCC]Here's the first line.[/color]
[color=#7F7FCC]Here's the second line. See how I'm not using list bullet tags? The old editor had no problem with this.[/color]
[color=#CC33CC]And here's the third line. Still not using bullets.[/color]
[*][color=#CC7F7F]Here's the fourth line, but this one has a bullet tag.[/color]
[color=#CCCC33]And here's the fifth line, but with no bullet tag again.[/color][/list]

The result:
    Here's the first line.
    Here's the second line. See how I'm not using list bullet tags? The old editor had no problem with this.
    And here's the third line. Still not using bullets.
  • Here's the fourth line, but this one has a bullet tag.
    And here's the fifth line, but with no bullet tag again.
No problems. The list is fluid and perfectly organized.

Now if I try to edit that same code, here's what the editor thinks I want:
[list]
Here's the first line.Here's the second line. See how I'm not using list bullet tags? The old editor had no problem with this.And here's the third line. Still not using bullets.[*][color=#CC7F7F]Here's the fourth line, but this one has a bullet tag.[/color]
[color=#CCCC33]And here's the fifth line, but with no bullet tag again.[/color]
[/list]

Which gives us... this:

Here's the first line.Here's the second line. See how I'm not using list bullet tags? The old editor had no problem with this.And here's the third line. Still not using bullets.
  • Here's the fourth line, but this one has a bullet tag.
    And here's the fifth line, but with no bullet tag again.

What is this even
dierubikdieDec 22, 2022 7:56 AM

"An earnest failure has meaning."

"Nothing is definite in this world. But it's okay.
Some things within me are definite."
Dec 22, 2022 7:05 AM

Oct 2016
@Abajur

What I'm trying to do is get the source code from this post but it's such a large post that it refuses to show me the code. I have a lot of larger posts that I can't get the source code from.
Dec 22, 2022 7:14 AM

Feb 2010
Abajur said:
Shishio-kun said:
Also please add drag and dropping images like Discord if MAL is going to host all the pics anyways
I am pretty sure MAL is not hosting the pics long term, just caching them.

Yes I meant caching (MAL is not a third-party host like Imgur in case anyone is wondering)
Shishio-kunDec 22, 2022 7:24 AM
Dec 22, 2022 7:28 AM

Aug 2018
Nice. Finally! But it is kinda annoying when you just want to quote a single sentence. It's now way harder to isolate bits of text from a long conversation. Also once the text formatting is enabled: bold/italics, I can't seem to turn it off again.
Dec 22, 2022 7:29 AM

Nov 2013
not sure if it is relevant to this update or not, but finding it difficult to quote people now lol

for example if i quoted shishio-kun in this post and submitted, then wanted to quick edit and quote foxxykats post and add it into my edit, things turn into a trainwreck now idk 

also quotes are literally disappearing in my reply box. wtf is going on haha 
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Dec 22, 2022 7:31 AM

Oct 2016
@Abajur said:
foxxykat1223 said:
What I'm trying to do is get the source code from this post but it's such a large post that it refuses to show me the code. I have a lot of larger posts that I can't get the source code from.
Interesting, I just created a huge post and successfully edited it using BBCode directly. I am not sure what is happening in that post specifically. If you send me the BBCode for the post, I can try to help you (post it on profile comments, I don't think here is the place for sharing that).
It's any large post that I have. I'm trying to get the source code so that I can move it to a different post and break it up some. I can't send the BBCode because it won't give it to me. That's the whole entire problem.

** Basically ALL of my clubs are now broken. Every single post in every single club is now broken. All of my posts in all of my clubs have many cards which means I cant get the source code because the post is too large. I tried adding in a new card the old way and the new way but it doesn't post. So basically collecting cards now is pointless. Yea I REALLY hate this update.
foxxykat1223Dec 22, 2022 8:03 AM
Dec 22, 2022 7:35 AM

Jan 2009
when quoting users the focus or cursor should be outside the quote so please fix this asap
Dec 22, 2022 8:01 AM

Jul 2021
absolutely based. loving this new editor.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Dec 22, 2022 8:04 AM

Feb 2010
foxxykat1223 said:
Abajur said:
Interesting, I just created a huge post and successfully edited it using BBCode directly. I am not sure what is happening in that post specifically. If you send me the BBCode for the post, I can try to help you (post it on profile comments, I don't think here is the place for sharing that).
It's any large post that I have. I'm trying to get the source code so that I can move it to a different post and break it up some. I can't send the BBCode because it won't give it to me. That's the whole entire problem.

Wow that post is being very difficult. It is extremely long which must have something to do with it. Sometimes it won't quote and will even crash the page. 

If I cut out a small chunk from that post, to source code that separately, it wont even let me paste it sometimes, and I can't get it to show source code one time in the rare instance I can actually preview the stuff copied from that post. 
https://imgur.com/qcLeGdz

But if I take a much larger and similar group of pics and BBcode, it works fine.
https://imgur.com/CgZzR2B

It's almost like a server problem, where that post lags. Or maybe there's some forbidden text in there breaking the whole thing? I don't see anything that would do that though, but it's not like I can get a good look at it lol

@Kineta
A new error in addition to the ones above popped up when I was trying to just post the links to the recordings- the text for a link will be hidden (?).
https://imgur.com/rfv9JXZ
The solution is to remove formatting but before the links would just post like normal (and I never added formatting). It seems to add this uneccessary formatting every time I post a link lol

After editing and answering posts, I'm seeing lots of bugs where text gets "formatted" randomly or incorrectly.

A lot of random text and pics gets the font format stuff added to it randomly

Shishio-kunDec 22, 2022 10:46 AM
Dec 22, 2022 8:09 AM

Oct 2016
@Shishio-kun 

I don't know if you can see it from this or not. It's not just getting the code of my large posts, it's also that I can't add images to any posts now. Not the old way or this "new and improved" bull way. I have been collecting cards since I started and now it's pointless if I can't even post them. This is fine for new users and small posts, but it's crap for larger posts and collectors.
Dec 22, 2022 8:14 AM
Dec 2019
thank you for this now i don't need to keep bbcode in notepad anymore.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

422 by Hayukoo »»
2 hours ago

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Yesterday

0 by Kineta »»
Yesterday, 8:10 PM

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

204 by Dekom »»
Yesterday, 10:52 AM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3332 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.