Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Dead Mount Death Play' Gets TV Anime in Spring 2023

New
Nov 14, 2022 7:54 PM
News Team
Aug 2019
King Records opened an official website for a television anime adaptation of Ryohgo Narita and Shinta Fujimoto's Dead Mount Death Play manga on Tuesday, revealing the main cast, staff, a teaser visual (pictured), and the first promotional video. The anime is set to debut in April 2023.

Cast
Polka Shinoyama: Yuuki Sakakihara (Lycoris Recoil)
Misaki Sakimiya: Inori Minase (Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute!)
Takumi Kuruya: Yuuma Uchida (Jujutsu Kaisen)

Staff
Director, Series Composition: Manabu Ono (Sword Art Online: Alicization)
Assistant Director: Takaharu Ookuma (Houkago Teibou Nisshi director), Yoshiki Kitai (Yakusoku no Neverland episode director)
Character Design: Hisashi Abe (Berserk)
Script: Manabu Ono, Yukie Sugawara (Overlord), Yoriko Tomita (Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru)
Sound Director: Takayuki Yamaguchi (Kami no Tou)
Recording Studio: Half H.P Studio
Music: F.M.F (Yuuki Nara, eba, Kana Utatane)
Studio: GEEK TOYS

Narita began writing the action fantasy manga with illustrations by Fujimoto in Young Gangan in October 2017. Square Enix shipped the ninth volume on April 25.

Yen Press licensed the manga in English in October 2017. The eighth volume went on sale on September 20.

Synopsis
It's a showdown for the ages as the legendary hero takes on the corpse god necromancer, but when the dust settles, something isn't quite right... In the final moments of their epic confrontation, the corpse god's final gambit shot was wholly unexpected—reincarnation magic! Across space and time, a boy named Polka Shinoyama awakens feeling...not quite himself...... Who could've expected that the climactic battle between good and evil would turn out like this?? (Source: Yen Press)

PV

Official site: https://dmdp-anime.jp/
Official Twitter: @DMDP_anime

Source: Comic Natalie

Dead Mount Death Play on MAL
Hyperion_PSNov 14, 2022 8:01 PM
Nov 14, 2022 8:31 PM

Jun 2021
Just yesterday I was thinking this one will get an adaptation for sure and once again I wasn't wrong.If I had started a topic before that I could be more happy haha :D

Honestly I'm not excited about this one, having read the source it's just mediocre or fine at best imo but that doesn't mean many people will dislike it.On the contrary it has all of the shounen elements that will make it popular and liked among shounen fans.
Oh also this is a reverse isekai overlord story so yeah there is that too...
Remember what Master Oogway told us:

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
Nov 14, 2022 8:33 PM

Feb 2021
Looks interesting! The story is telling in Durarara manner!
Nov 14, 2022 8:56 PM

May 2020
Nah those skeletons will be full on CG, I know.
Nov 14, 2022 9:36 PM

Jul 2015
Premise is somewhat interesting, but studio is not.

Nov 14, 2022 10:07 PM

Jul 2016
Softhenic03 said:
Nah those skeletons will be full on CG, I know.

Either that or the anime would contains THIS level of animation quality (Since it's the same studio lol):

Although the staff list and the PV seem like this would be better than Plunderer/Hensuki/RErideD and whatever the anime that will premiere at Winter 2023 at the very least.
MahiaErebeaNegiNov 14, 2022 10:14 PM
Nov 14, 2022 10:19 PM

Feb 2020
If it's Ryohgo Narita manga, then it's a must watch for me
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Nov 14, 2022 10:27 PM

Apr 2020
sounds chuuni as hell
i'm in

Nov 14, 2022 10:52 PM
Apr 2016
No fucking way!!!!! I can't believe this is getting an anime. Everything I read keeps getting animated. Do I just have really amazing taste or is it something more?
Nov 14, 2022 11:01 PM

Apr 2012
Inori Minase back as female leads in new adaptations? Where to deposit money?
Nov 14, 2022 11:27 PM

Mar 2015
TheDeuceCipher said:
Just yesterday I was thinking this one will get an adaptation for sure and once again I wasn't wrong.If I had started a topic before that I could be more happy haha :D

Honestly I'm not excited about this one, having read the source it's just mediocre or fine at best imo but that doesn't mean many people will dislike it.On the contrary it has all of the shounen elements that will make it popular and liked among shounen fans.
it's seinen, not shounen.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 14, 2022 11:32 PM
Apr 2014
Ngl the only thing I remember about the manga is every character seems to be unhinged in one way or another, and its artstyle

maybe time to pick it up again
Nov 14, 2022 11:47 PM

Feb 2021
Animanga_EMG said:
No fucking way!!!!! I can't believe this is getting an anime. Everything I read keeps getting animated. Do I just have really amazing taste or is it something more?

I think so! You predict anime adaptations!
Nov 15, 2022 12:00 AM

Jun 2021
Kuma said:
TheDeuceCipher said:

While I was reading it definitely felt like a shounen that's why I personally think it'll draw more attention of shounen audiences rather than seinen ones.
Bard_ErenNov 15, 2022 12:21 AM

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
Nov 15, 2022 2:09 AM

Jul 2021
at long last ... the animation with the spirits around the 18 second mark looks really cool, i'm excited to see how they'll do the other magic scenes.
Nov 15, 2022 3:04 AM

Mar 2019
The animation in the trailer looked cool, at the least the cuts they showcased were cool. I suppose, might check this out.
Nov 15, 2022 5:13 AM

Mar 2014
Trailer looks good but I'm tired of isekai/fantasy genre so I'm not too excited about this one
Nov 15, 2022 6:22 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I'm expecting this to be something I could end up liking a lot, and so far, I think I'll be right
Nov 15, 2022 8:59 AM

Feb 2022
RedChrome said:
Trailer looks good but I'm tired of isekai/fantasy genre so I'm not too excited about this one

this is reverse isekai, MC from fantasy world to japan and he will have a confrontation with a gang in japan, but the ability he brought from his world is weakening.
Nov 15, 2022 10:34 AM

Mar 2014
Miraikane said:
RedChrome said:

this is reverse isekai, MC from fantasy world to japan and he will have a confrontation with a gang in japan, but the ability he brought from his world is weakening.

Oh I see

Regardless my opinion is still the same
Nov 15, 2022 3:00 PM

Jun 2019
Viz said:
Ngl the only thing I remember about the manga is every character seems to be unhinged in one way or another, and its artstyle

maybe time to pick it up again

Well that seals it for me, can't wait to watch this. But in the meantime I'll be checking out the manga.
Nov 15, 2022 9:19 PM

Feb 2021
Miraikane said:
RedChrome said:

Great premise, thanks for the info!
Nov 16, 2022 2:53 AM

Feb 2014
I just wanted to see the manga page but to my surprise I was brought to an anime page. A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.
Can't wait to watch this.

Nov 16, 2022 3:38 AM

Feb 2019
Oh look, they made an anime about the state of creativity in the industry. Dead indeed.

Miraikane said:
RedChrome said:

Not to piggyback on someone else's complaint but that really doesn't fix it. Reverse Isekai is still Isekai. The typical issues are still there, just given a quick lampshade and repaint.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Nov 16, 2022 4:05 AM

Feb 2021
O_T_T said:
Oh look, they made an anime about the state of creativity in the industry. Dead indeed.

Miraikane said:

Not to piggyback on someone else's complaint but that really doesn't fix it. Reverse Isekai is still Isekai. The typical issues are still there, just given a quick lampshade and repaint.

At least it is REAL world and not imagined one.
Nov 18, 2022 1:54 AM

Oct 2017
Good to have more of Narita Ryohgo's work animated but the studio for this one is concerning.
Nov 24, 2022 8:36 AM

May 2009
TheDeuceCipher said:
Kuma said:

While I was reading it definitely felt like a shounen that's why I personally think it'll draw more attention of shounen audiences rather than seinen ones.

Seinen and shounen are magazine labels, they have nothing to do with story of a manga.
Nov 24, 2022 8:53 AM

Jun 2021
bastek66 said:
TheDeuceCipher said:

Seinen and shounen are magazine labels, they have nothing to do with story of a manga.

I'm talking about target demographic in that regard.
Shounen is targeted to young boys/teenagers whereas seinen is targeted to young adults.
I know they're magazine labels but they're not completely irrelevant.
Most of the time seinen has more different tropes, characters, story, execution and such but the way I saw it while I was reading DMDP it felt more like a shounen, this is what I'm talking about.
I'm talking with my perspective.

Nov 24, 2022 11:57 AM

May 2009
TheDeuceCipher said:

I'm talking about target demographic in that regard.
Shounen is targeted to young boys/teenagers whereas seinen is targeted to young adults.
I know they're magazine labels but they're not completely irrelevant.
Most of the time seinen has more different tropes, characters, story, execution and such but the way I saw it while I was reading DMDP it felt more like a shounen, this is what I'm talking about.
I'm talking with my perspective.

No, manga demographics are irrelevant these days, anime are targeted to everyone regardless are they originally shounen or seinen. For example Kimetsu is popular with all demographics, yes even little kids, Tokyo Ghoul was hugely popular with women, same with Hero Academia.
Dec 3, 2022 8:34 AM

Feb 2022
O_T_T said:

Miraikane said:

It's a bit different but it's bad just like you think it is. It's basically jujutsu kaisen, with isekai necromancer. It's a weird nauseating nice guy necromancer that pulls into the real world to escape the hero party and fights yakuza and magical charas in a battle shounen. From what I recall it has some memorable "deep" lines like " I consider everyone a toy, but I differ in how I treat toys", to go with the immensely "creative" story. It's more of a battle shounen bad than an isekai bad.
Dec 3, 2022 9:35 PM
Sep 2022
ChouunShiryuu said:
O_T_T said:

It's a bit different but it's bad just like you think it is. It's basically jujutsu kaisen, with isekai necromancer. It's a weird nauseating nice guy necromancer that pulls into the real world to escape the hero party and fights yakuza and magical charas in a battle shounen. From what I recall it has some memorable "deep" lines like " I consider everyone a toy, but I differ in how I treat toys", to go with the immensely "creative" story. It's more of a battle shounen bad than an isekai bad.

Not Really.
I didn't see any similarity with JJK.
Riz not really a good guy. He literally kill and torture bunch of people.
And The story focuses more on mystery rather than battle. Majority of the chapter focuses on how Earth connected with other world and the effect of it.
IMO, DMDP has an amazing story, with fantastic plot, interesting character, intriguing mystery, great art, and cool fight scene.
Just my opinion tho.
felixculpaDec 4, 2022 5:36 AM
Dec 4, 2022 2:34 AM

Feb 2022
felixculpa said:

Not Really.
Liz not really a good guy. He literally kill and torture bunch of people.
And The story focuses more on mystery rather than battle. Majority of the chapter focuses on how Earth connected with other world and the effect of it.
IMO, DMDP has an amazing story, with fantastic plot, interesting character, intriguing mystery, great art, and cool fight scene.
Just my opinion tho.

Those are the fight focussed shounen vibes it gave me when i first read it a few years back. It's apparently a seinen but never felt like one. Even more accurately, felt kinda like this:-
https://myanimelist.net/anime/40908/Kemono_Jihen

As for the amazing part, nothing really felt amazing. The MC was pretty annoying with his edgy-nice guy act, the other charas also felt like cardboard cutouts. Guy is like "i love human life because human life is like toys and toys make children happy", "why can't I force myself to abandon my nakama and run, i've become a fool" all this with his edgy indifferent poker face act, other "interesting charas" were not much different. The plot felt like what I described at the start. Maybe I misremember bits since some time passed, but i doubt it.
Dec 4, 2022 5:27 AM
Sep 2022
ChouunShiryuu said:
felixculpa said:

Not Really.
Riz not really a good guy. He literally kill and torture bunch of people.
Just my opinion tho.

Those are the fight focussed shounen vibes it gave me when i first read it a few years back. It's apparently a seinen but never felt like one. Even more accurately, felt kinda like this:-

As for the amazing part, nothing really felt amazing. The MC was pretty annoying with his edgy-nice guy act, the other charas also felt like cardboard cutouts. Guy is like "i love human life because human life is like toys and toys make children happy", "why can't I force myself to abandon my nakama and run, i've become a fool" all this with his edgy indifferent poker face act, other "interesting charas" were not much different. The plot felt like what I described at the start. Maybe I misremember bits since some time passed, but i doubt it.

It might give you battle shounen vibes, but in actuality, there's barely any major fight. Like I said, it focuses more on mystery rather than fight.

Riz not just simply "edgy nice guy". Again, he doesn't hesitant to kill or torture those he considers his enemy.
On the other hand, you're right when you say that he can't abandon his friend. He has high degree of Sympathy toward his friends/those he considers his kin.
Because of this sympathy, his "synchronization" with the dead is at a higher level than even Easlies.
But this also means he has almost no sense of independence. He devotes all of himself to his kin. This fact makes him vulnerable. His sense of self was too diluted to be a necromancer, to the point where enemy necromancer can easily manipulated him. Throughout the series, this high sympathy trait portrayed more as a weakness or obstacle to overcome, rather than a strength. This series is a journey for Riz to becomes person of his own. Like Easlies said, "If the day ever comes when he is able to choose his path of his own volition, than at last, he will be complete as a necromancer."

And yeah, the edginess (and fan-service) on early chapter directly intended to appeal to certain demographic (young teen), whom fanservice and edge works as successful bait.
On later chapter, you can hardly find any of that. Instead, they hit you with usual Narita tropes.

As for other character being cardboard cutouts, I disagree.
Almost every character in this series has more depth than what they look like.
At first, Takumi may looks like your usual hacker with his silly VR goggles. But more you know him, more you understand why he becomes what he becomes. You learn about how he developed the phobia of reality and why he always wears his goggles. You learn why he doesn't trust people and value his life more than his friend.
At first, Misaki may looks like your usual crazy girl. But again, more you know her, more you understand why she becomes what she becomes. You learn about her tragic childhood. You learn about how distorted the idea of "happiness" she has.
I can go on and on about other Character like Iwanome, Clarissa, Majiri, Yumegi, Sorimura, Civil, etc., but I think I make my point.
Not to mention how the character interconnected with each other, navigating increasingly webbed plot threads.

The plot not simply "a weird nauseating nice guy necromancer that pulls into the real world to escape the hero party and fights yakuza and magical charas in a battle shounen." It has more than that. It feels like every character in this series has their own plotline, but actually every plot interconnected with each other with shocking plot twist in it. I can talk about how good the plot interconnected with each other, but it's spoiler so I can't say much.
The mystery aspect in this series also very good. It makes you want more and more.
felixculpaDec 4, 2022 5:37 AM
Dec 4, 2022 6:48 AM

Feb 2022
felixculpa said:
ChouunShiryuu said:

It might give you battle shounen vibes, but in actuality, there's barely any major fight. Like I said, it focuses more on mystery rather than fight.

Riz not just simply "edgy nice guy". Again, he doesn't hesitant to kill or torture those he considers his enemy.
On the other hand, you're right when you say that he can't abandon his friend. He has high degree of Sympathy toward his friends/those he considers his kin.
Because of this sympathy, his "synchronization" with the dead is at a higher level than even Easlies.
But this also means he has almost no sense of independence. He devotes all of himself to his kin. This fact makes him vulnerable. His sense of self was too diluted to be a necromancer, to the point where enemy necromancer can easily manipulated him. Throughout the series, this high sympathy trait portrayed more as a weakness or obstacle to overcome, rather than a strength. This series is a journey for Riz to becomes person of his own. Like Easlies said, "If the day ever comes when he is able to choose his path of his own volition, than at last, he will be complete as a necromancer."

And yeah, the edginess (and fan-service) on early chapter directly intended to appeal to certain demographic (young teen), whom fanservice and edge works as successful bait.
On later chapter, you can hardly find any of that. Instead, they hit you with usual Narita tropes.

As for other character being cardboard cutouts, I disagree.
Almost every character in this series has more depth than what they look like.
At first, Takumi may looks like your usual hacker with his silly VR goggles. But more you know him, more you understand why he becomes what he becomes. You learn about how he developed the phobia of reality and why he always wears his goggles. You learn why he doesn't trust people and value his life more than his friend.
At first, Misaki may looks like your usual crazy girl. But again, more you know her, more you understand why she becomes what she becomes. You learn about her tragic childhood. You learn about how distorted the idea of "happiness" she has.
I can go on and on about other Character like Iwanome, Clarissa, Majiri, Yumegi, Sorimura, Civil, etc., but I think I make my point.
Not to mention how the character interconnected with each other, navigating increasingly webbed plot threads.

The plot not simply "a weird nauseating nice guy necromancer that pulls into the real world to escape the hero party and fights yakuza and magical charas in a battle shounen." It has more than that. It feels like every character in this series has their own plotline, but actually every plot interconnected with each other with shocking plot twist in it. I can talk about how good the plot interconnected with each other, but it's spoiler so I can't say much.
The mystery aspect in this series also very good. It makes you want more and more.

Haha that's a lot of passion for this title. I'm not too keen on the manga, but if what you say is true and the initial parts were just bait and red herrings, think i'll pick it back up with the anime. Usually a story gives you what you're in for at its best at the start, but yeah, there are exceptions.
Dec 6, 2022 8:41 PM

Jul 2013
Thanks to MAL, I found out that apparently I read the manga in 2019...?
but i don't remember ANYTHING about it.
the pandemic really messed with my memories lol

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

23 by Avery20 »»
32 minutes ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

2 by Miragee »»
44 minutes ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

97 by Nanaca »»
5 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Apr 22, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 22, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.