Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 29, 2022 10:54 PM
Jun 2021
MadanielFL said:
So if you hate these VAs so much then why are pirates using Crunchyroll’s treatment of them as a justification for piracy?

All she did was giver her opinion, it’s not like she is calling for the complete rewritten of shounen anime.

But of course right wing anitwt users think emotionally rather then rationally.

Rent free.
The reason I boycott Crunchroll is: 1)Limited availability of certain titles licencenced by non-Funimation licencors outside of Western Europe and the States when there is no licencor for those titles in Eastern Europe
2)Prices are too high for what they offer
3)I'm against anything American and I want the neoliberal system to die.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Nov 29, 2022 11:00 PM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
MadanielFL said:
So if you hate these VAs so much then why are pirates using Crunchyroll’s treatment of them as a justification for piracy?

All she did was giver her opinion, it’s not like she is calling for the complete rewritten of shounen anime.

a common flawed CR shill argument that you've made here is lumping everyone together as all having shared reasons for piracy and that everyone cares about the same things

in reality, you most often have people that hate the VAs/translators/whoever and people that hate their treatment/low wages/whatever, separately; or maybe they couldn't care less if whoever you're talking about was living in a box on the street but they have VAs they do like

however I should point out it is not contradictory to not like someone and also simultaneously not like the bad business practice of their employer, I don't know why this is hard to understand
Nov 29, 2022 11:04 PM

Jun 2017
Just use a VPN and get past your school's website blocker? I used to do that all the time when I was in high school
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Nov 29, 2022 11:04 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
Agree with ryo-san. I don't have a problem with watching raw either. Back in my days, Crunchy wasn't a official legal site. Everything was fansub. People steal videos from other sites to host on their. lmao.
Nov 29, 2022 11:59 PM

Mar 2015
Maou_heika said:
SerperiorWeeb said:
Everything that was previously on Crunchyroll before the merger should still be available for free, but everything added from Funimation and any new anime added in general to Crunchyroll requires premium.
Not true, I had plenty of free anime in my queue but all of them are now Premium.

They may have updated what is and isn't free from when I checked last. I meant that what I said was only true at the time of the merger. I'm sorry if the information is out of date ┐('~`;)┌
Nov 30, 2022 12:04 AM

Mar 2015
TheBlockernator said:
SerperiorWeeb said:
They merged with Funimation's streaming service, so they have most of everything Funimation has. Everything that was previously on Crunchyroll before the merger should still be available for free, but everything added from Funimation and any new anime added in general to Crunchyroll requires premium.

Not anymore, everything aside from super popular series like Naruto and One Piece are premium.

That's news to me actually :> Thank you, that actually makes me rather happy. I don't have much money to my name, even to afford simple streaming services, so knowing at least I can watch anime legally again for free is good ^o^
Nov 30, 2022 4:12 AM

Feb 2021
TheMechaManiac said:
MadanielFL said:

Rent free.
The reason I boycott Crunchroll is: 1)Limited availability of certain titles licencenced by non-Funimation licencors outside of Western Europe and the States when there is no licencor for those titles in Eastern Europe
If you are against anything American, then you should boycott MAL itself.
Nov 30, 2022 4:16 AM

Feb 2021
_FRB_ said:
MadanielFL said:

a common flawed CR shill argument that you've made here is lumping everyone together as all having shared reasons for piracy and that everyone cares about the same things

in reality, you most often have people that hate the VAs/translators/whoever and people that hate their treatment/low wages/whatever, separately; or maybe they couldn't care less if whoever you're talking about was living in a box on the street but they have VAs they do like

however I should point out it is not contradictory to not like someone and also simultaneously not like the bad business practice of their employer, I don't know why this is hard to understand
It is also hypocrsy to PRETEND to care.

Yes some people might not like these VAs and also their treatment.

But most are just trying to find way to justify their piracy by using anything that makes legal options look bad.

An example would be guys like Rev and Hero Hei, they make hundreds of videos attacking any VA that could be a "woke SJW"" and then will make another video talking about how Crunchyroll is union busting.
Do you really think he cares about these people?

Nah, he is just trying to make Crunchyroll look bad in any way possible.
Nov 30, 2022 4:51 AM

May 2015
MadanielFL said:
_FRB_ said:

But most are just trying to find way to justify their piracy by using anything that makes legal options look bad.

An example would be guys like Rev and Hero Hei, they make hundreds of videos attacking any VA that could be a "woke SJW"" and then will make another video talking about how Crunchyroll is union busting.

And what do you think you're doing right now? You've spent this entire thread whining about "piracy" when all you really seem to care about is "alt right" and its mistreatment of some crappy dubber you like
Nov 30, 2022 5:30 AM

Feb 2021
billybub said:
MadanielFL said:

And what do you think you're doing right now? You've spent this entire thread whining about "piracy" when all you really seem to care about is "alt right" and its mistreatment of some crappy dubber you like

Nope, my point is not about “alt right” that’s just a way to describe a certain type of anitwt users that will say anything to justify their piracy.

And where am I’m being a hypocrite?
I genuinely wanna know.

And it’s not like that’s the only complain I have made here…
Nov 30, 2022 5:47 AM

Feb 2021
TheMechaManiac said:
literally_boba said:
So, now that my school district blocked the anime site I use (common district L), I tried to use Crunchyroll to watch Devil May Cry...only to find out they made everything Premium.

What the hell is up with Crunchyroll?

FUCK Crunchyroll.
Buy a VPN instead and torrent from nyaa.si, much better investment.

I agree.
DreamingBeats said:
TheMechaManiac said:

FUCK Crunchyroll.
Buy a VPN instead and torrent from nyaa.si, much better investment.

why would you get a vpn if you're going to pirate? also, i'm pretty sure that would be against pretty much all vpn terms of service
unless you meant 'or' rather than 'and'.

Because nyaa.si isn't available in many countries without VPN.
_FRB_ said:
DreamingBeats said:

why would you get a vpn if you're going to pirate? also, i'm pretty sure that would be against pretty much all vpn terms of service

you should definitely not be torrenting without a vpn, that is a horrible idea

that opens you up to trouble with your ISP, the government, and any other nefarious actors, all far worse than potentially violating the terms for a VPN

and to be frank, VPN companies clearly couldn't care less what you do with their product so long as you're paying them or unless it directly creates an issue for them, of which torrenting generally does not; there's a reason VPN adverts are much different than they used to be

It is true.
epidemia78 said:
TheMechaManiac said:

Some countries actively hunt down people who torrent copyrighted media.

OP's American, and America is probably the biggest offender in this regard, the licencors can even call in the FBI on your ass.

Better safe than sorry.

In my experience anime torrents are safe. Just don't even try torrenting hollywood stuff.

Zettaiken said:
Me who almost don't have access to legal anime cause they don't make Polish subs [Yeah english subs are available but why would I pay for English ones if I am living in Poland?]:

"Oh no! Anyway."

Torrents are safe, multiple sites which has English subs/Polish subs [as that's the only websites I've visited so far] are almost completely safe, you just need an adblock and that's all you need...

It doesn't matter what content.
ryo-san said:
Lmao there are 100s of pirate websites that provide more content than crunyroll and these foolish people wanna pay for anime?
Pay me instead haha, I'll DM you the links..

Or pay me.
Nov 30, 2022 6:01 AM

May 2018
TheMechaManiac said:
DreamingBeats said:

Some countries actively hunt down people who torrent copyrighted media.

OP's American, and America is probably the biggest offender in this regard, the licencors can even call in the FBI on your ass.

Better safe than sorry.

It's mostly music or movies, nobody really cares if you pirate anime in the west. You must be really unlucky to get letters for downloading from nyaa.
Nov 30, 2022 6:15 AM

Mar 2021
Meh watch shit from zoro and goku website
Much better options in all honesty
Nov 30, 2022 6:46 AM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
MadanielFL said:
_FRB_ said:

did you even read my comment...? can you explain in detail why it is contradictory to not like something a specific VA says but also call out CR for union busting? why is someone only pretending to care just because you disagree with them? aside from that, I'm not particularly convinced that youtubers making content is acceptable proof that almost everyone who pirates does so for the same reasons, which is the point you're still trying to make even after I pointed out that its flawed

this is like someone complaining about a bad dining experience while also believing waiter/waitresses should actually be paid by their employer only for you to then call them a hypocrite

for trying to paint your opposition as being emotional and not rational, you are being awfully emotional and not very rational... this is extraordinarily one dimensional thinking
Nov 30, 2022 8:07 AM

Feb 2021
_FRB_ said:
MadanielFL said:

did you even read my comment...? can you explain in detail why it is contradictory to not like something a specific VA says but also call out CR for union busting? why is someone only pretending to care just because you disagree with them? aside from that, I'm not particularly convinced that youtubers making content is acceptable proof that almost everyone who pirates does so for the same reasons, which is the point you're still trying to make even after I pointed out that its flawed

this is like someone complaining about a bad dining experience while also believing waiter/waitresses should actually be paid by their employer only for you to then call them a hypocrite

for trying to paint your opposition as being emotional and not rational, you are being awfully emotional and not very rational... this is extraordinarily one dimensional thinking

Read my original post again.

I said SOME people, not all of them.
You’re putting words into my mouth, I never said everyone uses the same justifications for piracy, I just said SOME people pretended to care about them when they don’t really care at all.
Nov 30, 2022 8:19 AM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
MadanielFL said:
_FRB_ said:

You’re putting words into my mouth, I never said everyone uses the same justifications for piracy, I just said SOME people pretended to care about them when they don’t really care at all.

well, earlier you said "pirates" as a generalization, and then you said "most people" are trying to find the same justifications for piracy, and then not to mention the wide brush of "right wing"; so forgive me for not coming to the conclusion that you're only talking about a select few people when it has plainly appeared that you are making broad generalizations and assumptions in typical CR shill fashion

still, that doesn't explain why someone would be a hypocrite for not liking something a specific VA says but also criticizing their employer for union busting, again I return to the waiter/waitress analogy
Nov 30, 2022 10:45 AM

Jul 2017
epidemia78 said:

Just don't even try torrenting hollywood stuff.

No one should sail that sea if they know what's good for them lol

Nov 30, 2022 11:23 AM

Feb 2021
_FRB_ said:
MadanielFL said:

well, earlier you said "pirates" as a generalization, and then you said "most people" are trying to find the same justifications for piracy, and then not to mention the wide brush of "right wing"; so forgive me for not coming to the conclusion that you're only talking about a select few people when it has plainly appeared that you are making broad generalizations and assumptions in typical CR shill fashion

still, that doesn't explain why someone would be a hypocrite for not liking something a specific VA says but also criticizing their employer for union busting, again I return to the waiter/waitress analogy
You are the one who is assuming stuff about me that I never said.

And like I said, it's people pretending to care, not everyone is sure, but a lot are.

For example Rev has made multiple videos calling out some of these VAs, asking them to be fired and that their careers be ruined, and then he proceeds to take their side when they lose their jobs...
Kinda ironic when you were literally asking for that...
Nov 30, 2022 11:59 AM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
MadanielFL said:
_FRB_ said:

And like I said, it's people pretending to care, not everyone is sure, but a lot are.

For example Rev has made multiple videos calling out some of these VAs, asking them to be fired and that their careers be ruined, and then he proceeds to take their side when they lose their jobs...

I am only using your own words. There's only a handful of people on this website that go so hard into defending Crunchyroll, Funimation, and such on every thread about them or about piracy. You are one of them and you (plural) always say the same things. All of which are generalizations or assuming people know less than you do. You only backtracked to "some/a lot", in increments mind you, after I replied to you the first time, but whatever.

while also taking into account what I said earlier about youtubers making content, I really have to take that last bit with a dump truck load of salt because you certainly aren't unbiased and I can't help but feel you are twisting the situation heavily as you're my only source right now, I highly doubt that he asked for them to be fired and then asked for the same person to be hired again when they were fired because he requested so as you are describing it

the only specific example you've given is a VA saying something people on twitter found disagreeable (and what you posted was people responding to an article instead of to her... I didn't see a reply that actually mentioned piracy either so not entirely sure why it's relevant) and has apparently since not affected her livelihood, at all

it seems the only reason you think I should believe that people pretend to care is because you said so, because you've seen people dislike VAs and you've also seen people dislike Crunchyroll, and you are incapable of understanding any nuance of people's opinions or that they could feel differently about different individuals, and I'm supposed to believe you're the rational and not emotional thinker?
Nov 30, 2022 1:25 PM

Feb 2021
_FRB_ said:
MadanielFL said:

I am only using your own words. There's only a handful of people on this website that go so hard into defending Crunchyroll, Funimation, and such on every thread about them or about piracy. You are one of them and you (plural) always say the same things. All of which are generalizations or assuming people know less than you do. You only backtracked to "some/a lot", in increments mind you, after I replied to you the first time, but whatever.

while also taking into account what I said earlier about youtubers making content, I really have to take that last bit with a dump truck load of salt because you certainly aren't unbiased and I can't help but feel you are twisting the situation heavily as you're my only source right now, I highly doubt that he asked for them to be fired and then asked for the same person to be hired again when they were fired because he requested so as you are describing it

the only specific example you've given is a VA saying something people on twitter found disagreeable (and what you posted was people responding to an article instead of to her... I didn't see a reply that actually mentioned piracy either so not entirely sure why it's relevant) and has apparently since not affected her livelihood, at all

it seems the only reason you think I should believe that people pretend to care is because you said so, because you've seen people dislike VAs and you've also seen people dislike Crunchyroll, and you are incapable of understanding any nuance of people's opinions or that they could feel differently about different individuals, and I'm supposed to believe you're the rational and not emotional thinker?
If you followed any discourse in anitwt you will see that people will be hating on dubs, translators, VAs, and anything that's related to Funi or Crunchy no matter what it is.
And you will never see anyone talk anything remotely positive about them, they only focus on the bad things not the good ones.

Some time ago someone respoted a screenshot from that famous article asking people to respect translators and their work.

https://twitter.com/magicalgirlnoir/status/1512197317109362689?s=20&t=9QmB_-UFeSjNWguwLq-VUA

And the pirates response:

So you want me to think these people actually care about how they are treated?

I don't really think so.

But like you said not everyone is like this, but as I orignally said, SOME people are.
Nov 30, 2022 1:57 PM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
MadanielFL said:
_FRB_ said:

If you followed any discourse in anitwt you will see that people will be hating on dubs, translators, VAs, and anything that's related to Funi or Crunchy no matter what it is.
And you will never see anyone talk anything remotely positive about them, they only focus on the bad things not the good ones.

Some time ago someone respoted a screenshot from that famous article asking people to respect translators and their work.

https://twitter.com/magicalgirlnoir/status/1512197317109362689?s=20&t=9QmB_-UFeSjNWguwLq-VUA

I don't really think so.

But like you said not everyone is like this, but as I orignally said, SOME people are.

I would not doubt those people are pirates based on their opinions of course, but just like your previous example there's nothing in there about piracy; there's also nothing to suggest that they are the hypocritical type that are pretending to care that you say make up a lot of pirates

again, you've made the claim that people are using their hate of VAs/translators as the basis to justify their piracy (something I think is true) BUT that the SAME people ALSO will turn around and defend those SAME VAs/translators if CR/Funi mistreats or fires them, and then also use that to justify their piracy

you straight up said that youtubers have deliberately gotten people fired and sided with them only after they got fired

you haven't actually shown this happening, you've only shown that yes, a lot of people don't like English VAs/translators (so what?) and said "just trust me bro" on all the rest
Nov 30, 2022 6:48 PM

Feb 2021
_FRB_ said:
MadanielFL said:

I don't really think so.

I would not doubt those people are pirates based on their opinions of course, but just like your previous example there's nothing in there about piracy; there's also nothing to suggest that they are the hypocritical type that are pretending to care that you say make up a lot of pirates

again, you've made the claim that people are using their hate of VAs/translators as the basis to justify their piracy (something I think is true) BUT that the SAME people ALSO will turn around and defend those SAME VAs/translators if CR/Funi mistreats or fires them, and then also use that to justify their piracy

you straight up said that youtubers have deliberately gotten people fired and sided with them only after they got fired

you haven't actually shown this happening, you've only shown that yes, a lot of people don't like English VAs/translators (so what?) and said "just trust me bro" on all the rest
I didn't say these yotubers got them fired, but that he was rallying his fanbase to attack them, which included asking them to be fired, then yes he was.

And he didn't side with them only after they got fired, more like he helds both positions at the same time.

One day he is making fun of those people asking others to respect translators, the other he is making a video about how VAs are being paid little for their work.
Nov 30, 2022 7:32 PM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
MadanielFL said:
_FRB_ said:

I didn't say these yotubers got them fired, but that he was rallying his fanbase to attack them, which included asking them to be fired, then yes he was.

And he didn't side with them only after they got fired, more like he helds both positions at the same time.

One day he is making fun of those people asking others to respect translators, the other he is making a video about how VAs are being paid little for their work.

MadanielFL said:

^ I don't know how that reads to you... "and then he proceeds to take their sides when they lose their jobs" sounds a lot like someone he wanted to get fired actually got fired and then he defended them after the fact

let me repeat once again that you can feel differently about different people, if he makes a video that a translator sucks based on something the translator said or did, it does not make him a hypocrite to defend a different VA getting paid too little when that VA didn't do anything he felt worthy to make a video on why they suck

and hell, as I said before, even if he hated the VA already it wouldn't make him a hypocrite either, because you can dislike both the employee and the employer independently of each other; you are thinking without nuance and one dimensionally

do you want to bring up a meaningful example of the thing you're claiming happens actually happening or are we just gonna go in circles forever

allow me to remind you, you've made the claim that people are using their hate of VAs/translators as the basis to justify their piracy BUT that the SAME people ALSO will turn around and defend those SAME VAs/translators if CR/Funi mistreats or fires them, and then ALSO use that to justify their piracy

literally all you've done is post people hating on VAs/translators and crying about it, which does nothing to prove your original point that there are pirates that are merely pretending to care about things they don't and using supposedly contradictory reasons to justify their piracy
Nov 30, 2022 7:50 PM

May 2016
Ok, I'll be the one to ask the obvious question:

Why are you even watching anime while at school? Shouldn't you be, I don't know, fucking LEARNING shit there. I swear.. with how often I come across kids chatting on Discord while they're in class- and now this- it's no wonder kids ain't all that bright these days.
If you disagree with any thoughts or opinions expressed in the above post, you're wrong and I hate you forever!
Nov 30, 2022 8:16 PM

Jul 2019
ShatteredSans said:
MadanielFL said:
And they also support the industry by the hundreds of different anime that they helped produce...
Ah yes, such masterpieces as Ex-Arm and High Guardian Spice. Shows that were definitely not severely underfunded and rushed. (in-case it's not already abundantly obvious, that's sarcasm)

And I doubt that there are actually hundreds of these Crunchyroll originals, though that could just be because I haven't heard of many. The only good ones I know of are Tower of God and God of Highschool, the latter of which apparently butchered its source material, so it's only good from an anime-only point of view. That aside, they only do that so that they can have some exclusive content on their platform, so it's really not that different than paying for licensing fees. If they didn't do it, someone else (probably Netflix) would've.
Dude manwha adaptations are a huge thing for the industry. I don't like CrunchyRoll either after how they treated me as a VRV subscriber but they ARE doing *Some* good stuff.
CurdissNov 30, 2022 8:40 PM
Nov 30, 2022 8:47 PM

Jul 2019
MadanielFL said:
_FRB_ said:

MadanielFL said:
Isn't that what you're doing right now though? In your first reply in this thread you were mad about people treating a VA poorly for voicing her opinion, but that same reply started with a defense of Union Busting.
Nov 30, 2022 9:20 PM

Feb 2021
_FRB_ said:
MadanielFL said:

MadanielFL said:

^ I don't know how that reads to you... "and then he proceeds to take their sides when they lose their jobs" sounds a lot like someone he wanted to get fired actually got fired and then he defended them after the fact

let me repeat once again that you can feel differently about different people, if he makes a video that a translator sucks based on something the translator said or did, it does not make him a hypocrite to defend a different VA getting paid too little when that VA didn't do anything he felt worthy to make a video on why they suck

and hell, as I said before, even if he hated the VA already it wouldn't make him a hypocrite either, because you can dislike both the employee and the employer independently of each other; you are thinking without nuance and one dimensionally

do you want to bring up a meaningful example of the thing you're claiming happens actually happening or are we just gonna go in circles forever

allow me to remind you, you've made the claim that people are using their hate of VAs/translators as the basis to justify their piracy BUT that the SAME people ALSO will turn around and defend those SAME VAs/translators if CR/Funi mistreats or fires them, and then ALSO use that to justify their piracy

literally all you've done is post people hating on VAs/translators and crying about it, which does nothing to prove your original point that there are pirates that are merely pretending to care about things they don't and using supposedly contradictory reasons to justify their piracy
How many times are you going to repeat yourself when I already said I understood your point?

You talk about me going in circles but it seems you are doing the same thing.

Yes I get it, you can hate some VAs while also hating their employeer, I already know that and have said so here many times.
So idk why you keep repeating that part.

My mainpoint here is that people will use anything to make legal sources look bad, most of the time so they can justify their piracy as if they are doing something good by not watching anime legally.
Which is fine if you wanna do that, but at least give them credit whenever they actually do something good.

Because for example, when a translator does a really amazing job and works really hard in a show, very few people will actually compliment them and praise them for their effort.

But when someone says to people that they should respect translators then everyone goes mad about it.

It's like that phrase from Shakespeare "The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones."

People will only ever focus on the negatives while ignoring the good.

ZechTearz said:
I don't know what those guys above me are arguing about but I'm totally rooting for the ones that are disagreeing with that Madaniel person
So you don't even understand this whole debate, but you're still rooting against me?

Guess I'm doing something right.
Nov 30, 2022 9:36 PM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
MadanielFL said:
_FRB_ said:

How many times are you going to repeat yourself when I already said I understood your point?

Yes I get it, you can hate some VAs while also hating their employeer, I already know that and have said so here many times.

My mainpoint here is that people will use anything to make legal sources look bad, most of the time so they can justify their piracy as if they are doing something good by not watching anime legally.
Which is fine if you wanna do that, but at least give them credit whenever they actually do something good.

Because for example, when a translator does a really amazing job and works really hard in a show, very few people will actually compliment them and praise them for their effort.

But when someone says to people that they should respect translators then everyone goes mad about it.

It's like that phrase from Shakespeare "The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones."

I'm saying the hypocrites you say make up a lot of pirates don't exist and you haven't shown they exist. The situations you said have happened haven't actually happened. You've only shown that there are people that don't like VAs and translators. To which I say again, so what? If you're changing what you were saying now, then alright. If we're done here then maybe think twice before saying some stupid shit you can't back up next time.
Nov 30, 2022 10:04 PM

Feb 2021
_FRB_ said:
MadanielFL said:

I'm saying the hypocrites you say make up a lot of pirates don't exist and you haven't shown they exist. The situations you said have happened haven't actually happened. You've only shown that there are people that don't like VAs and translators. To which I say again, so what? If you're changing what you were saying now, then alright. If we're done here then maybe think twice before saying some stupid shit you can't back up next time.
Ok, I don't see where I'm changing what I said, but ok
Dec 1, 2022 5:25 PM

Jun 2017
This is why I always pirate anime off of nyaa. There's a whole world of consumers out there, let them buy it.
Dec 16, 2022 11:33 PM

Jun 2007
DreamingBeats said:
(not just) itt: Crunchyroll shills and forever pirates duking it out in a never-ending brawl. someone should make an anime adaptation.

So do you actually suspect anyone ITT of being paid by CR to defend or promote them, or is "shill" just a lazy smear leveled against anyone who dares to present opinions and facts that the pro-piracy crowd finds inconvenient or disagreeable?

east808 said:
Crunchyroll also participates in union busting, I never have and never will support them. With the amount of ways you can watch anime for free nowadays there's no reason to waste your money.

You know who else doesn't support union dubs? Pirate sites! You know when union dubs used to be a lot more common? Before the piracy-driven crash of 2007, when companies like Geneon, Bandai, Rightstuf, Central Park Media, and Media-Blasters were routinely commissioning union dubs out of California, Canada, and New York City. But all of those companies have either shut down, stopped doing dubs, or moved their dub operations to cheaper locales. And these "ways you can watch anime for free" don't pay anything for the labor they benefit from, unionized or otherwise.

ShatteredSans said:
I feel 110% confident in claiming that the only money that they ever put into "supporting the industry" is the licensing fees they pay to get anime on their platform.

Most would call paying significant sums of money (at times enough to pay the entire production cost) for licensing rights to the companies that invest in producing anime, supporting the industry, not "supporting the industry."

Lucifrost said:

Zalis said:
Yet a monopoly is exactly what anime viewers have wanted, given all the "anime's too split up on legal sites, I don't want to pay for multiple subscriptions" complaints. Yet suddenly with the CR/Funi merger, having everything too centralized is considered problematic.

What I wanted was for every show to be available through every service. One would watch Chainsaw Man on Crunchyroll or Chainsaw Man on Netflix. Not a monopoly. We used to have some form of this in the past. This isn't the 1st time I've spoken about this, but I can't remember if I ever discussed it with you.
Maybe you have. I know I have heard some (like renowned anti-industry YouTuber Uniquenameosaurus) call for a non-exclusive licensing regime where companies only compete with "service features" and the like. But those same voices have also voiced a sentiment of, "We'd like non-exclusive competition, but a monopoly would still be better than what we have now, because at least everything would be in one place." I don't believe we've ever had anything like that, though -- even in the pre-streaming era, publishing licenses were exclusive, i.e. you couldn't choose to buy Haibane Renmei on DVD from ADV or Bandai; you had to buy Geneon's release.

And I have my doubts that a non-exclusive landscape would actually change anything or move the needle among the pro-piracy crowd. After all, even if all exclusive licenses went away tomorrow, pirate sites would still have a better selection for free, and there'd still be various vapid culture-war grievances (#StandWithVic, High Guardian Spice, that one "patriarchal" line in a dub 6 years ago, etc.) providing excuses to pirate.

TheMechaManiac said:

I don't blame anyone in low-income/underserved countries and regions for pirating if the legal options are limited and region-locked, or if the wealthy-nation pricing schemes are unrealistic for their situation. (After all, I've long contended that anime piracy is a pricing problem, not a service problem.) But piracy is, in most cases, not a "boycott." If you're watching pirated versions of recent/airing anime with English translations, you're getting either straight copies or edited versions of the translations created by CR or whoever else has the license -- meaning you're benefiting from the work that company is doing. (And many translations to non-English languages are based on the same official English subs) Truly boycotting them would mean not watching anything they release.

And to be clear, I'm not against piracy itself -- I'm against dressing piracy up as some kind of noble sacrifice or activism, which it is not.

Saintseiya100 said:
This is why I always pirate anime off of nyaa. There's a whole world of consumers out there, let them buy it.

That's what we thought back in 2007 -- a time when companies went out of business or dramatically scaled back their operations. It was a time when anime's popularity in terms of piracy, online chatter, and convention attendance were soaring, but sales cratered. I can understand why many viewers would make the gamble of hoping others will support the industry for them, but it is mystifying how many pirates go out of their way to sabotage the industry and discourage people from engaging in legitimate consumption. Kind of killing the goose that lays the golden eggs there.

ryo-san said:
Lmao there are 100s of pirate websites that provide more content than crunchyroll and these foolish people wanna pay for anime?
Pay me instead haha, I'll DM you the links..
Zalis said:
Wow, amazing how easy it is for pirate sites to provide more content when they don't have to pay for the rights or the translations/dubs for that content. But you'd better hope these "foolish" people continue paying for anime -- not only do international sales provide a substantial percentage of the anime industry's revenue, the pirate sites use the translations from CR or whoever has the license. So if those distributors go out of business, there's no more translations to steal. Who is more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?

I've no problem with understanding Japanese..I'd watch them raw on nyaa.

Congratulations on being in that .3% or whatever than can understand Japanese well enough to understand raw anime. But in that "Western/overseas industry collapses due to piracy" scenario, those raw offerings on nyaa would see fewer anime produced, lower budgets, and less innovation and risk in terms of the types of shows that get produced. Maybe you'll tell me you don't care about any of that, and that's fine. But you'd still be needing Japanese "foolish people" to continue paying for discs and other legitimate consumption methods to subsidize your entertainment and keep those nyaa raws flowing, so my original point still stands.
Dec 17, 2022 8:15 AM

Nov 2011
Crunchyroll shills are those who will defend Crunchyroll no matter what, even if the company makes some questionable decisions (such as deliberately and significantly lowering streaming quality to save on bandwidth costs) and whose actions contradicts their core message (telling people to support the poor animators, only to turn around and pay pennies to their workers). These people believe that Crunchyroll is doing everyone a favor and offering streaming service out of good will. They are a business. If they hypothetically had to abandon the streaming business, but there was still a strong demand, another company would likely fill the role.

Zalis said:
I'm against dressing piracy up as some kind of noble sacrifice or activism, which it is not.

I agree. In the case of manga piracy, most pirates will make excuses when the real reason is, they don't want to pay when they can read for free on pirate sites. All the while claiming how they "care" about the well being of the manga author.

Zalis said:
Congratulations on being in that .3% or whatever than can understand Japanese well enough to understand raw anime.

I watch anime raw on official Japanese streaming sites. Granted, I studied the language a little, but I don't think you need to be super fluent in the language to be able to enjoy raw anime. Simply going over the 2 genki books or their equivalent should be enough to understand a fair bit. Also, even if you don't understand the exact words, you can still infer what the characters are trying to convey because of body language (you can read more about it in my blog). Of course, how easy it is to understand based on limited vocabulary and grammar will vary a lot depending on the series. For example, it's easier to understand series aimed at children versus series aimed at older men, in general - although some series, such as those from Manga Time Kirara are surprisingly accessible.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Dec 17, 2022 9:06 AM

Feb 2016
@Zalis
I used to watch all my anime on Hulu. They used to sub-license anime from other licensors, meaning they streamed a lot of Crunchyroll and Funimation titles. This changed in 2016, when Hulu removed hundreds of anime titles and then removed the ability to stream for free.
I know piracy sites will alway offer the best selection, but a major incentive to me is videos that stream without frequent buffering and crashing. I did NOT switch to Crunchyoll after I stopped using Hulu, because Crunchyroll's video player is so much worse.
I've been complaining about anime monopolies ever since Crunchyroll's 1st partnership with Funimation, which also happened in 2016.
その目だれの目?
Dec 17, 2022 9:33 AM

Nov 2011
btw i didn't know until recently that Disney plus started offering anime. maybe i'll check and see if there's a series on Disney+ (that's not already on Hulu or Netflix) worth watching.

Lucifrost said:
I know piracy sites will alway offer the best selection, but a major incentive to me is videos that stream without frequent buffering and crashing. I did NOT switch to Crunchyoll after I stopped using Hulu, because Crunchyroll's video player is so much worse.

didn't you complain about me using a VPN to watch anime on legal, official websites in Japan and supporting the anime industry by watching ads? You're so vocal against supporting the industry that way, while you yourself pirate anime? (if you watch anime illegally uploaded on Youtube, that's also piracy). Also, while Crunchyroll video player isn't the best, it's not so bad as to make it unusable. They made some improvements, such as finally removing the unnecessary watermark.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Dec 17, 2022 5:17 PM

Feb 2016
DreamingBeats said:
didn't you complain about me using a VPN to watch anime on legal, official websites in Japan and supporting the anime industry by watching ads?

What I said was that I don't consider VPN to be any better than piracy.

while Crunchyroll video player isn't the best, it's not so bad as to make it unusable.

Crunchyroll's video player really has been that bad whenever I tried to use it. Youtube, Hulu, and most other sites run flawlessly.
その目だれの目?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

17 by APolygons2 »»
54 seconds ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - 5 hours ago

21 by APolygons2 »»
6 minutes ago

» Light novel adaptation and boring ending

Ri-KoRin - 16 minutes ago

1 by W3TFT »»
8 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - 6 hours ago

10 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

64 by FZREMAKE »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.