Forum Settings
Forums

Entertainment Company Disney, Publisher Kodansha Expand Strategic Partnership

New
Nov 30, 2022 12:11 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013

The Walt Disney Company announced at the Asia-Pacific content showcase in Singapore on Wednesday that it is expanding its partnership with Japanese publishing company Kodansha.

The company intends to co-produce and distribute an expanding slate of original titles for its Disney+ platform. The partnership also includes licensing exclusive anime titles based on manga published by Kodansha.

Marking the launch of their strategic collaboration, Disney+ and Disney+ Hotstar will exclusively stream Tokyo Revengers: Seiya Kessen-hen (Tokyo Revengers: Christmas Showdown)—the second season of Tokyo Revengers—beginning January 2023.

Japanese anime, along with Korean drama, has been a cornerstone of Disney's original content strategy as the company seeks to expand its subscriber reach across the expanding Asia-Pacific region, similar to competitors such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. During the event, Disney also revealed that the total number of hours of locally-produced Asian content streamed on Disney+ has increased eightfold from the previous year.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Nov 30, 2022 12:25 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Drat. It appears that Disney considered their earlier ventures into anime enough of a success to continue licensing them. Considering Summer Time Rendering and Black Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall still aren't fully available worldwide, I imagine it must have been the recent success of Bleach which compelled them into this massive push into the industry. It sucks, but they might get better at releasing their anime eventually.....or not.
anime-primeNov 30, 2022 12:29 AM
Nov 30, 2022 12:38 AM

Apr 2016
Eeey, more CGI shit that people actually think looks good.

But i mean, no wonder Disney's coming for anime, their own latest animated ventures were an absolute failures after all, lmao.
https://screenrant.com/why-strange-world-box-office-bombed/
Nov 30, 2022 12:40 AM

Feb 2021
anime-prime said:
Drat. It appears that Disney considered their earlier ventures into anime enough of a success to continue licensing them. Considering Summer Time Rendering and Black Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall still aren't fully available worldwide, I imagine it must have been the recent success of Bleach which compelled them into this massive push into the industry. It sucks, but they might get better at releasing their anime eventually.....or not.

Yes, I agree with you. Hope it turns to be good.
Swagernator said:
Eeey, more CGI shit that people actually think looks good.

I hope not. I don't like 3D CGI.

Not another Netflix please.
Nov 30, 2022 12:49 AM
Apr 2021
So, after reading through the source article, Disney definitely wants to expand Disney+ content, but only in the regions where the content is made? Is that what I'm gathering? I mean, they're already doing just that with Summer Time Rendering and such, but even more so?
Nov 30, 2022 1:03 AM

Feb 2020
Streaming service have been taking over in recent time. While Disney have been mass producing MCU and starwars and Disney's own previous content's replica and spin off out there, it's competitor were busy with asian drama. Now finally Disney stepped in for big bad monopoly in this too

Maybe it will result in more complete adaption. But beyond that is kind of scary.....lot of asian drama nowadays are bunch of unwanted sequal and made just for the sake for milking with not even actors coming back. As for anime medium, I am expecting a lot of anime original with namesake adaptations in future (just like pheonix one I heard just now)
AdampkNov 30, 2022 2:17 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Nov 30, 2022 1:18 AM

Feb 2021
Chupacaden said:
So, after reading through the source article, Disney definitely wants to expand Disney+ content, but only in the regions where the content is made? Is that what I'm gathering? I mean, they're already doing just that with Summer Ti for mome Rendering and such, but even more so?

It seem so. I also don't understand why they do this.
Adampk said:
Streaming service have been taking over in recent time. While Disney have been mass producing MCU and starwars and Disney's own previous content's replica and spin off out there, it's competitor were busy with asian drama. Not finally Disney stepped in for big bad monopoly.

Maybe it will result in more complete adaption. But beyond that is kind of scary.....lot of asian drama nowadays are bunch of unwanted sequal and made just for the sake for milking with not even actors coming back. As for anime medium, I am expecting a lot of anime original with namesake adaptations in future (just like pheonix one I heard just now)

I agree about doramas. Also hope for more anime series in future.
Nov 30, 2022 1:36 AM
Apr 2020
Is it because of the new disney ceo?
Nov 30, 2022 1:53 AM

Feb 2020
Memore said:
Chupacaden said:
So, after reading through the source article, Disney definitely wants to expand Disney+ content, but only in the regions where the content is made? Is that what I'm gathering? I mean, they're already doing just that with Summer Ti for mome Rendering and such, but even more so?

It seem so. I also don't understand why they do this.
Adampk said:
Streaming service have been taking over in recent time. While Disney have been mass producing MCU and starwars and Disney's own previous content's replica and spin off out there, it's competitor were busy with asian drama. Not finally Disney stepped in for big bad monopoly.

I agree about doramas. Also hope for more anime series in future.

true, more anime is another possibility
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Nov 30, 2022 2:16 AM

Nov 2012
Man, can't they just keep doing MCU stuff and leave anime out of their business ffs?
fr I hope this doesnt turn into the SWT Nintendo drama

My Candies:

Nov 30, 2022 2:37 AM

Jan 2009
this western deal might be link to this controversy not so long ago https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2021-07-28/kadokawa-president-apologizes-for-pro-censorship-remarks/.175620

but we will see since Disney did not censor Black Rock Shooter Dawn Fall anyway
Nov 30, 2022 3:08 AM
Jan 2016
I guess I'm going back to piracy
I'd rather die a free man then live under the rules of idiots
Nov 30, 2022 3:39 AM

Feb 2021
seahealth said:

Maybe. Who knows.
yamiyugi101 said:

I always do this. Don't know why you stopped. Many works haven't released officially.
Nov 30, 2022 4:05 AM

Mar 2019
Maybe this will pump more money into the industry so that they can actually consider fixing issues like animator wages, doesn't seem like a realistic outcome though.

Swagernator said:
But i mean, no wonder Disney's coming for anime, their own latest animated ventures were an absolute failures after all, lmao.

Seemed to me like even Disney didn't care about the movie, considering how little the movie was advertised.
Nov 30, 2022 4:07 AM
Oct 2019
Summer Time Rendering already available in my Disney+ Hotstar, i live in SEA and right now Spx x Family is simulcast weekly.
It's kinda sad that it's not available in USA yet.
Nov 30, 2022 4:17 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Kumiveneella said:
Maybe this will pump more money into the industry so that they can actually consider fixing issues like animator wages, doesn't seem like a realistic outcome though.
The problem isn't lack of money in the industry. Crunchyroll pays them plenty per license already. The problem is where all the money goes to.
Kumiveneella said:

Swagernator said:

Seemed to me like even Disney didn't care about the movie, considering how little the movie was advertised.
Considering how badly Lightyear did, they might have thought promoting it would make it worse. That being said, as everyone knows, any publicity is good publicity.

Speaking of, perhaps Disney knows it's creatively bankrupt and thus hopes that having relatively creative anime on their platform will make it look like it isn't.
anime-primeNov 30, 2022 4:21 AM
Nov 30, 2022 4:17 AM
Jan 2016
Memore said:
seahealth said:

Maybe. Who knows.
yamiyugi101 said:

I always do this. Don't know why you stopped. Many works haven't released officially.

i wanted to watch stuff on my roku but i will just make do with my ipad
I'd rather die a free man then live under the rules of idiots
Nov 30, 2022 4:41 AM

Mar 2019
anime-prime said:
The problem isn't lack of money in the industry. Crunchyroll pays them plenty per license already. The problem is where all the money goes to.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I guess, I was being a bit vague in my original post.

anime-prime said:
Considering how badly Lightyear did, they might have thought promoting it would make it worse. That being said, as everyone knows, any publicity is good publicity.

Speaking of, perhaps Disney knows it's creatively bankrupt and thus hopes that having relatively creative anime on their platform will make it look like it isn't.

I suppose what you'd consider a flop has also changed, every movie needs to be a tent-pole movie nowadays, with the boom being around big IP's.

I mean wouldn't really consider the newer movies creatively bankrupt myself, however most people probably don't share that sentiment. Although similarly you could say that the anime industry is also somewhat creatively bankrupt. I don't really know if Disney cares about the quality of the products in the first place, considering how the things that actually sell aren't really the best things ever made.
Nov 30, 2022 4:47 AM

Feb 2021
davidyodo24 said:
Summer Time Rendering already available in my Disney+ Hotstar, i live in SEA and right now Spx x Family is simulcast weekly.
It's kinda sad that it's not available in USA yet.

And thanks to Disney+ Crunchyroll didn't acquire it so no subs were available at the airing time of each episode. I am against it.
anime-prime said:
Kumiveneella said:
Kumiveneella said:

Kumiveneella said:
anime-prime said:

Yeah, that's what I meant. I guess, I was being a bit vague in my original post.

anime-prime said:

I suppose what you'd consider a flop has also changed, every movie needs to be a tent-pole movie nowadays, with the boom being around big IP's.

I mean wouldn't really consider the newer movies creatively bankrupt myself, however most people probably don't share the sentiment. Although similarly you could say that the anime industry is also somewhat creatively bankrupt. Although, I don't really know if Disney cares about the quality of the products in the first place, considering how the things that actually sell aren't really the best things ever made.

Yes, they try to acquire licenses thinking that it might help their sales profit.
Nov 30, 2022 4:53 AM

Sep 2019
Why does the rat wanna stick it's nose in anime?
Nov 30, 2022 4:54 AM

Feb 2021
kenfra said:
Why does the rat wanna stick it's nose in anime?

I think for more money outcome.
Nov 30, 2022 5:59 AM

Mar 2021
Disney has become the Yakuza of the entertainment industry grabbing up anything and everything these day just to monopolize on brands and franchises. They can't come up with their own original successful ideas anymore so they just stick their hand in or buy out something that is already successful. It's not far fetched to think one day Disney will branch out beyond just an entertainment conglomerate and start dipping their hands in food production, pharmaceuticals, electronics, and military. Eventually get into Nano and bio technologies and try to weaponize them. One day Disney will literally become the Umbrella Corporation.

I can see it now in the distant future... Disney made high powered assault rifles with AI targeting system and smart bullets with a big ass Mickey Mouse logo on the side of it with "Disney Weapon Industries" written on the bottom.

Go out driving in your brand new Disney Chevrolet Corvette to go to your local Disney McDonald's drive through service with Disney Robotics serving you their signature Disney Big Mac made with real Disney Velveeta American Cheese and 100% Disney angus beef. Everything stamped with a big tacky Mickey Mouse logo on them.
ColourWheelNov 30, 2022 6:33 AM
Nov 30, 2022 6:33 AM

Jul 2020
Disney owns too much now. Someone needs to break them up.
Nov 30, 2022 6:36 AM

Feb 2012
Disney being mentioned anywhere these days is bad news for everybody involved.
Nov 30, 2022 6:49 AM

Feb 2021
ColourWheel said:
Disney has become the Yakuza of the entertainment industry grabbing up anything and everything these day just to monopolize on brands and franchises. They can't come up with their own original successful ideas anymore so they just stick their hand in or buy out something that is already successful. It's not far fetched to think one day Disney will branch out beyond just an entertainment conglomerate and start dipping their hands in food production, pharmaceuticals, electronics, and military. Eventually get into Nano and bio technologies and try to weaponize them. One day Disney will literally become the Umbrella Corporation.

I can see it now in the distant future... Disney made high powered assault rifles with AI targeting system and smart bullets with a big ass Mickey Mouse logo on the side of it with "Disney Weapon Industries" written on the bottom.

Go out driving in your brand new Disney Chevrolet Corvette to go to your local Disney McDonald's drive through service with Disney Robotics serving you their signature Disney Big Mac made with real Disney Velveeta American Cheese and 100% Disney angus beef. Everything stamped with a big tacky Mickey Mouse logo on them.

Great analogy! I agree with you!

Zen98 said:
Disney owns too much now. Someone needs to break them up.

Another similar conglomerate maybe.
Ramkec said:
Disney being mentioned anywhere these days is bad news for everybody involved.

Sadly, you are right.
Nov 30, 2022 8:33 AM
Nov 2011
Please, stop Disney from licensing anime they will not stream simultaneously everywhere in the world. First Bleach and now Tokyo Revengers. Please just stop!! >8C
Nov 30, 2022 8:40 AM

Feb 2021
NiraVancopoulos said:
Please, stop Disney from licensing anime they will not stream simultaneously everywhere in the world. First Bleach and now Tokyo Revengers. Please just stop!! >8C

Indeed, that is exactly my thought. First Summer Time Render, now Tokyo Revengers. What is next from them?
Nov 30, 2022 9:14 AM
Oct 2019
Disney Money is unstoppable 😂
Nov 30, 2022 9:25 AM

Nov 2008
inb4 Kodansha introduces it's first openly gay teen character.

ColourWheel said:

Reminder that Disney has their own Global Intelligence and Threat Analysis department.
AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
Nov 30, 2022 9:33 AM

Feb 2021
Genoard said:
inb4 Kodansha introduces it's first openly gay teen character.

ColourWheel said:

Reminder that Disney has their own Global Intelligence and Threat Analysis department.

Who is that character? And how does it link that Disney have such agency with the news that Disney expand their partnership?
Nov 30, 2022 4:06 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Dunno why some are surprised when there were obvious red flags with Bleach last arc and Tatami Time Machine Blues' streaming rights.

anyway "oh yea our fans and audiences only put on our animated movies for when kids are going to bed, cuz nobody other than kids would watch them at all, adults totally don't tune into animated movies cuz they don't give a shit since animation is only for kids, we shouldn't be bothered to give proper promotion into our animation department which we shut down years ago and yet still are kinda trying to hire some 2D experts lately since kids don't really give a shit and will watch anything so let's just shit out a bunch of stuff it'll all be okay... ah our new animated movies are failing so yea stick with what i said and just don't give a shit into trying anymore... ooooh but hey hey hey, we see that this anime thing is pretty hot with the hip n youngster kids now more than ever, so let's invest in that, that'll save us" seriously what the hell is wrong with you Disney folks?????

...I guess it could be a bit bearable if they acknowledge that Kilala☆Princess exists though. *wink wink*
Dec 1, 2022 6:30 AM

Sep 2019
Someone needs to stop the americanization of anime...the industry is already way worse quality and more stale compared to what it was 10 years ago. Japanese people need to step up and stop buying these trash made to pander to "western taste" (so the taste of western mainstream media in truth...).
Dec 1, 2022 6:45 AM

Apr 2012
Not the best news, given Disney's ever-increasing "honor before reason" development strategy.
Dec 5, 2022 11:02 AM

Oct 2009
Disney!!! Go away!!!

Keep this evil empire from Anime.
Jan 13, 2023 3:36 AM

Nov 2013
Wow, these responses are funny. Guys this is just a deal, Disney isn't going to OWN any companies or any anime, they're just getting the streaming rights. You people really want Sony to have a monopoly here, Disney is a good competitor for them to have, yes Disney owns most western media, but most Japanese media is currently being distrbuted worldwide by Sony, let Disney step in. And also Disney has so much money that they should be pouring some of that into the starving anime industry, these are all good things.

Yes 'Disney bad" but if you use your brain for a few seconds and remember that things are more complicated. 
LOL, your opinion is wrong!

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

DatRandomDude - 9 hours ago

37 by rasscryu »»
12 minutes ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
6 hours ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
8 hours ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
11 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

10 by DylanVSAnimez »»
Yesterday, 4:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.