Forum Settings
Forums

An anime that you thought sucks but after watching it, it became you're favorite anime

New
Nov 24, 2022 3:41 AM

Jan 2019
You saw a brand new or old anime that you haven't watch that you saw somewhere else and you thought it sucks based on the Characters, Synopsis or Genre, but after watching it, it became you're favorite anime
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 24, 2022 4:14 AM

May 2019
Not necessarily my favorite anime but i have a similar story with Sengoku Otome: Momoiro Paradox.
Nov 24, 2022 6:01 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Legend of Galactic Heroes I guess, not that I ever thought it sucks, but I just thought it would be too outdated for me before watching it, turned out it's a masterpiece :)

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Nov 24, 2022 6:03 AM

Feb 2020
Definitely Kemono Friends. It's now one of my favorite anime.

@tchitchouan Sengoku Otome: Momoiro Paradox is a great anime. Easy 9/10 in my book.
Nov 24, 2022 6:23 AM

May 2019
Serafos said:
@tchitchouan Sengoku Otome: Momoiro Paradox is a great anime. Easy 9/10 in my book.

Totally agree, and it's full of sengoku era bikini armor girls.
Nov 24, 2022 6:29 AM

Dec 2015
Renai Flops seemed like another boring ecchi harem, but after episode 6 I have completely changed my mind. That show is a masterpiece.
Nov 24, 2022 6:29 AM

Feb 2018

Shima_Rei said:
An anime that you thought sucks but after watching it, it became you're favorite anime

that would have to be "The Squid Girl; The Invader comes from the bottom of the Sea"

what i had presumed to have been just another vapid, throw-away series, -about a decade or so back-
eventually ended up becoming one of my all-time favorites;

Nov 24, 2022 6:40 AM

Sep 2010
One Piece, I saw the trash version with water pistols and lollipops and no blood on TV as a child and thought it's shit but when I gave it a chance years later and watched it uncensored on the internet it turned out to be pretty good. I also found K-On extremely boring the first time I watched it.
Nov 24, 2022 6:51 AM
Dec 2019
I thought RokuAka was just your typical power fantasy with a bland protagonist, but it's actually a pretty fun anime with a fun cast of characters
Nov 24, 2022 6:55 AM

Nov 2020
I have most of it but of them is School Days.

I remember I hate it at middle of the series, like "wtf the mc doing". But after I watched the last 2 episode, it become one of my favorite anime all the time. Nice boat.
What Does Pot of Greed do?
Nov 24, 2022 7:06 AM
Feb 2020
Definitely Madoka Magica and Made in abyss Both have art styles that make them seem like kids' anime and they are kid's anime UNTILL Madoka magic Episode 3 enters and Made in abyss Ep 8 enters. After that they turn in to one of the most AMAZING ANIME OF ALL TIME!!
Nov 24, 2022 7:11 AM

Dec 2020
Code Geass. I didn't think it would appeal to my personal sensibilities based on how popular it was and I also didn't like the character design. After watching it, it became one of my favorites.
I haven't seen Fullmetal Alchemist yet and I have similar opinions about as I had about Code Geass before I watched it. I hope I am proved wrong when I watch that as well.

Nov 24, 2022 7:14 AM

Jun 2016
When HxH came out, I thought it was gonna be shit because someone I didn't like and has shit taste recommended it to me
Nov 24, 2022 7:15 AM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
oregairu. I thought it would be pretty generic
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Nov 24, 2022 7:17 AM
Apr 2022
Probably yall will get mad saying this but mine is Attack on Titan 0-0
Now im watching it and it soooo good omg cant say how good it is. I kind of feel guilty for judging before i saw it
i have more anime that thought are bad but turned out amazing
Nov 24, 2022 7:18 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Madoka Magica easily, I went in thinking this wouldn't be my cup of tea given that at the time I was mostly in shonen series, but after watching I realized it was probably my favorite series of all time.
Nov 24, 2022 7:23 AM

Jan 2010
Rinrinka said:
Legend of Galactic Heroes I guess, not that I ever thought it sucks, but I just thought it would be too outdated for me before watching it, turned out it's a masterpiece :)

Totally agree
It became one of the best anime of all time for me
Nov 24, 2022 7:53 AM

Dec 2018
Cross Game. Baseball is hella boring, Cross Game is hella awesome.
Nov 24, 2022 8:05 AM

Apr 2019
Monogatari Series. I expected it to be a garbage anime carried by artstyle and animation but it turned out pretty awesome. It easily in my top 5 right now. Monogatari was way too well written and well directed than what I initially expected it to be.
Nov 24, 2022 8:23 AM

Sep 2021
I don't really have anything exactly by what you specified
but one that kinda fits is Vinland Saga, at the time I already heard the hype about it but I wasn't really buying it and the first few episodes had me hesitating but man, after I finished it, it was just an experience, its in my top 5 right now
Nov 24, 2022 8:35 AM

Aug 2016
I actually do have one exactly like that. Not long after I joined MAL, a friend recommended me one of his favourites, the Kara no Kyoukai movies. They were completely not my thing at all, the heavy philosophical and psychological themes, along with the slow pacing just bored me, I even caught myself falling asleep during the 8th film, something I have never done when watching TV!

It was a little while later that a different friend was pushing me to watch the Fate series, saying its exactly my kind of thing. I researched it a bit, only to find it was by the exact same studio, same writer and everything. I hesistated, but eventually gave in. And thus begun my obsession with Type-moon and the Nasuverse, I even grew to appreciate and eventually love the Kara no Kyoukai films too.
Nov 24, 2022 9:16 AM
Jun 2020
natsume yuujinchou and ashita no joe
Nov 24, 2022 9:24 AM

Feb 2016
I don't believe that ever happened, but Darker Than Black exceeded my rock bottom expectations.
その目だれの目?
Nov 24, 2022 10:38 AM
Oct 2019
I thought My Hero Academia would suck since it was my youngest brother's favorite anime at the time, but it was pretty good. I wouldn't say it's one of my favorites, but it's a solid 8/10 for me.
Nov 24, 2022 10:51 AM
Oct 2022
I think it's Steins;gate. I was confused at the beginning, but it turned out great.
Nov 24, 2022 11:24 AM

Dec 2021
Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. I watched the first two episodes and didn't like it. I gave it another chance some time down the road and now it's in my favorites.
Rosa Umineko Drip

The Witch of Badassery.
Nov 24, 2022 11:31 AM

May 2020
closest thing I can think of is maybe monster. I was very close to dropping it around the middle but the ending redeemed it for me.
Nov 24, 2022 11:50 AM

Aug 2012
One Piece. When I first started watching it there were about 540-ish something episodes and I thought it'd be crap, but... I was out for 5 months after having surgery and was bored out of my mind and even though it took me quite a while to get into, it was my favorite for 2 years before it dropped down to my second favorite and then about 5 years or so ago it dropped down to my 3rd favorite and has stayed there.

Mo Dao Zu Shi. I struggled so much with Chinese donghua and people saying 'you get used to the Mandarin' which... kinda? But at the same time, not really so I kept hearing praise of this series and had watched a couple minutes of it in 2018 and just... couldn't get passed the language. But when I gave it another try again last year I absolutely loved it and it's my #4 favorite and has stuck there for the last year and a half.
Nov 24, 2022 12:23 PM

Sep 2020
Wouldn't call them my favorites (except Grand Blue) but they were definitely shows that I expected to hate at first but ended up liking a lot

Oregairu: I thought it was going to be a very annoying show and to some extent it was but it ended up growing on me as it went along.

Classroom of the Elite s2: I had recently finished the first season and thought it was alright but didn't like it completely. The newer season made an interesting character development for the majority of its cast and managed to be more enjoyable than I initially expected.

Working!!!: I thought this would've been my last straw of patience since it had become overly repetitive but it managed to give some satisfactory payoff to plot points developed in previous seasons. This was the case of me judging before even watching it based on the character tags and the first episode from the first season making me hate almost all of the cast but they became better in later seasons.

Grand Blue: It wasn't a series I thought would suck just by looking at its synopsis or characters but the first two episodes almost made me drop the show, THANK GOD I DIDN'T! It's one of my favorite comedy anime ever.
ReSeinenDec 4, 2022 2:04 PM
Nov 24, 2022 12:42 PM

Mar 2021
Shima_Rei said:

There would be quite a few Anime that I initially thought would suck but after watching them They basically became some of my favorites.

Just to name a few Recently got back into watching "Full Metal Panic!". Originally a long time ago I brushed it off in the early 2000s because I was burned out on seeing yet another Mecha/Military themed title in a medium that was already saturated by over a dozen other franchise that have similar themes. To my surprise when I finally got down to actually watching it I ended up instantly loving it. If I would have know at the time it would be like if "Metal Gear Solid" was a High School Romcom Anime without a Solid Snake, I probably would have been more inclined to give this Franchise a better chance back then.

"Ascendance of a Bookworm" just seemed boring to me at 1st. I mean just the premise of the story alone was extremely mundane. To my surprise again After actually watching it, this Anime became one of my favorites.

The same thing can almost be said about "Chio's School Road". I mean how great can an Anime actually be which is just a the slice of life of a girl walking to school each day? When I finally got down to watching this Anime I was laughing my ass off non-stop the 1st time through. This Anime took my expectations and blew it through the roof! "Chio's School Road" is Anime comedy gold and I rarely ever actually laugh let alone even smirk at comedy in Anime these days.

"Dagashi Kashi" sounded boring to me at 1st too. I mean how exciting can be watching an Anime that revolves around Japanese junk food even be? But it ended up becoming more interesting to watch than even your typical mindless seasonals. It was actually quite entertaining learning a lot of stuff about Dagashi that I didn't even know. I guess everything has an interesting history about it when being told in creative ways. This reminds me how Anime is extremely embedded into Japanese Culture.

"Restaurant to Another World" didn't originally seem like that appealing of an Isekai. But after giving it a shot I found it more enjoyable to watch than any typical Seasonal Isekai that are basically clones of one another in the end. This Franchise became an instant favorite being an anime that just makes you feel better when watching after a long day of doing endless paper work.

"So I'm a Spider, So What?" just seemed at the time it would be just a copy of "That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime". After watching this Anime I actually liked the Protagonist better than "Rimuru Tempest". Just the charm of "Kumoko" being a cute Spider monster with an immense amount of personality made this Anime enjoyable to watch and added as one of my favorites.

The 1st time I heard about "Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?", I just thought the title was just ridiculously long and didn't even think it would be anything more than just a fantasy comedy throw away. I was wrong and since then I never put any stock on any franchises title anymore. "Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?" has become one of my all time favorite Anime fantasy Franchises.

Going back to 1997 with "Agent AIKa". Originally I didn't think much about it other than it's going to be another typical female action Anime, until watching it the 1st time ever on VHS being completely mind boggled by how many freaken white panties are thrown into the viewers face on such a level never seen before in Anime. The panty fanservice in "Agent AIka" is so obnoxious it's beyond comical. Initially I thought there would never be another Anime like it again. I was wrong. Only a few years later "Najica Blitz Tactics" was released on par to the same level of white panties in your face every 15 seconds. Both of these Animes became instant classics for me just for sheer creativity of actually putting together an interesting enough action story to watch while constantly bombarding the viewer with white panty shots on an extremely obnoxious level.

I could go on but I think you get the idea that I am constantly surprised by how many Animes have become my favorites over the years just by simply giving something new a chance with an open mind.
ColourWheelNov 24, 2022 1:07 PM
Nov 24, 2022 3:24 PM

Jul 2021
I haven't imagined that https://myanimelist.net/anime/1210/NHK_ni_Youkoso is actually good, being an elitist starter pack staple, but here we are...
I almost dropped the first episode too, because the guy is basically really high and hallucinating, but the anime doesn't actually mention drugs.
Nov 24, 2022 3:51 PM

Jul 2021
ColourWheel said:
Going back to 1997 with "Agent AIKa". Originally I didn't think much about it other than it's going to be another typical female action Anime, until watching it the 1st time ever on VHS being completely mind boggled by how many freaken white panties are thrown into the viewers face on such a level never seen before in Anime. The panty fanservice in "Agent AIka" is so obnoxious it's beyond comical. Initially I thought there would never be another Anime like it again. I was wrong. Only a few years later "Najica Blitz Tactics" was released on par to the same level of white panties in your face every 15 seconds. Both of these Animes became instant classics for me just for sheer creativity of actually putting together an interesting enough action story to watch while constantly bombarding the viewer with white panty shots on an extremely obnoxious level.

I have found Aika to be really disappointing.
The plot had no weight because of her magic bikini thing, or whatever it was.
Nov 24, 2022 4:02 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
My Hero Academia

Watched it for no other reason than because it's one of THE most popular anime out there, and went into it ready to hate it. And I watched season one, and yeah I didn't really like it. But for some reason I decided to give S2 a chance (I think because I heard good things about the tournament arc)... and yeah I binged the rest of the series, movies and all, in under two weeks. It's far from a masterpiece, but man I felt like I was 12 years old again watching a favourite cartoon.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 24, 2022 4:05 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
I still have not found such anime... I hate New trend of isekai but I like isekai os-san...and this fact got out so they canceled it..

Nov 24, 2022 4:27 PM
Jan 2018
I am usually anti hype, so I avoided JJK and watched it after the hype went away. It was surprisingly excellent.

Wise Man's Grandchild was an isekai I only gave a shot because of Kow Otani doing the OST. It ended up being very enjoyable. If it ever gets a season 2, you can count me in.

I'm super biased against sports anime. I don't want anime mixed in with any sport I'm remotely interested in. But I have no opinion on Sumo Wrestling. So I gave Hinomaruzumou a chance. And it is legitimately great. A fantastic show almost no one knows about. Please give it a shot if you have the time. You defintely won't regret it.
Nov 24, 2022 4:29 PM

Mar 2021
JaniSIr said:
ColourWheel said:

Originally I was confused by the whole Magical brassiere thing too but to help you out with Agent AIka lore, AIka was a test subject raised by her parents who were both scientist. They died during the Big earth quake that caused most of the planet to be submerged underwater. That brassiere was created by her parents and has protected her ever since she was taken in by Aida Gozo. At this point Aika eventually decided to become a Salvager. The metal that the brassiere is made out of is a material called "ultranate" or more commonly known as "alternate metal" (オルタネートメタル). As a test subject the Magical brassiere was specifically designed for her and will transform her into a dark-skinned/blue-haired woman with supernatural abilities when she wears it but only when she is in any kind of imminent danger or life threatening situations. When she is in this transformed state she is known as "Shivie Aika". Sadly none of this was ever actually explained about in the original Anime.

If "Agent Aika" had gotten a full length series back then, there is no doubt all of this would have been all explained. But the creator Noriyasu Yamauchi got the green light to make "Najica Blitz Tactics" after the "Agent AIka" OVA was finished. Even if "Najica Blitz Tactics" was a full length series and was very much in the sense just like "Agent AIka" with the extreme amount of obnoxious level panty fanservice the series still didn't really do as well as "Agent Aika" and moved onto help making "Stratos 4".

Sadly all the Reboot "Aika" prequals produced in the late 2000s were all failures and didn't even come close to the same success of either the "Agent Aika" OVA had in the late 90s or even "Najica Blitz Tactics" in the very early 2000s. Both "AIKa R-16: Virgin Mission" and "AIKa Zero" in my opinion don't do the "AIka" franchise any justice and should have really never even been made in the 1st place. Just my thoughts about this is that the creator realized the fanbase was "mostly" consisting of guys just wanting to see animated white panties on girls. But obviously that wasn't enough without an actual interesting enough plot to keep the Aika franchise going.
ColourWheelNov 24, 2022 5:33 PM
Nov 24, 2022 4:42 PM

Sep 2021
I thought Oregairu was going to be a simple harem/love triangle show, but I found myself so invested in the characters and their search for something genuine. I think it was right around the middle of season 2 where I realized, "this show is something really special."

K-On! really really surprised me for similar reasons. I didn't expect to be so emotionally affected by season 2 and the movie. Even when I finished the first season, I remember thinking that it was really cute but nothing special. And then season 2 happened, and it actually did become so so special to me. The movie was just icing on that emotional cake.

We can always go somewhere again.
✧✧✧✧✧✧
profilewatchingart credit

Nov 24, 2022 4:48 PM

Feb 2021
I didn't think it was suck, but I was sure I wouldn't like Madoka Magica since I'm not into magical girl stuff, but after watching it, it's very good.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Nov 24, 2022 6:44 PM
Dec 2021
I expected Madoka Magica to be exploitative due to starting the dark magical girl trend, but it wasn’t as dark as I expected, and it’s actually well-written. (Especially the movie.)
Nov 25, 2022 1:10 AM
Dec 2019
jojo

watched it for the memes, became one of my favorite pieces of fiction of all time
Nov 25, 2022 2:44 AM

Jun 2015
hunter hunter.

I didnt like gon or his motivation bcz he came off as n ingrate. well he still is one, but CA got me hooked.
Nov 25, 2022 10:28 AM
Oct 2020
Honestly, I felt Shiki would be boring and it's animation was awkward. But I must say the story was intriguing
Nov 25, 2022 10:31 AM

Apr 2012
Odd Taxi, Another, Nisekoi, many generic isekai.
Nov 25, 2022 10:47 AM

Aug 2020
OPM for me. Lotta my friends in school were watching it back when it aired but i hadn't until earlier this year.
Nov 25, 2022 10:48 AM

Mar 2021
Way back when I first started watching anime, I saw Chuunibyou on Netflix. Since I was still getting into anime and still held onto my preconceived notion that "anime romance is cringe and I should only watch battle shonen," I skipped over it, thinking it would some anime girl cutesy show (which to be fair, it kinda is). Eventually, my sister forced me to Watch Toradora, and after binging it in less than two days I decided that maybe anime romance wasn't so cringe after all, and decided, hesitantly, to give Chuunibyou a shot. If you couldn't tell, I liked the show a lot.
Nov 25, 2022 11:58 AM

Jul 2021
ColourWheel said:
JaniSIr said:

Originally I was confused by the whole Magical brassiere thing too but to help you out with Agent AIka lore, AIka was a test subject raised by her parents who were both scientist. They died during the Big earth quake that caused most of the planet to be submerged underwater. That brassiere was created by her parents and has protected her ever since she was taken in by Aida Gozo. At this point Aika eventually decided to become a Salvager. The metal that the brassiere is made out of is a material called "ultranate" or more commonly known as "alternate metal" (オルタネートメタル). As a test subject the Magical brassiere was specifically designed for her and will transform her into a dark-skinned/blue-haired woman with supernatural abilities when she wears it but only when she is in any kind of imminent danger or life threatening situations. When she is in this transformed state she is known as "Shivie Aika". Sadly none of this was ever actually explained about in the original Anime.

If "Agent Aika" had gotten a full length series back then, there is no doubt all of this would have been all explained. But the creator Noriyasu Yamauchi got the green light to make "Najica Blitz Tactics" after the "Agent AIka" OVA was finished. Even if "Najica Blitz Tactics" was a full length series and was very much in the sense just like "Agent AIka" with the extreme amount of obnoxious level panty fanservice the series still didn't really do as well as "Agent Aika" and moved onto help making "Stratos 4".

Sadly all the Reboot "Aika" prequals produced in the late 2000s were all failures and didn't even come close to the same success of either the "Agent Aika" OVA had in the late 90s or even "Najica Blitz Tactics" in the very early 2000s. Both "AIKa R-16: Virgin Mission" and "AIKa Zero" in my opinion don't do the "AIka" franchise any justice and should have really never even been made in the 1st place. Just my thoughts about this is that the creator realized the fanbase was "mostly" consisting of guys just wanting to see animated white panties on girls. But obviously that wasn't enough without an actual interesting enough plot to keep the Aika franchise going.

The issue isn't that it wasn't explained what it is, but that it existed at all.
Witchblade didn't particularly explain what the witchblade is, but it also wasn't just an invincibility plot device.
Nov 25, 2022 12:06 PM

Dec 2020
one piece. i used to be a one piece hater from like 2013-2018
Nov 25, 2022 12:10 PM

Mar 2021
JaniSIr said:
ColourWheel said:

The issue isn't that it wasn't explained what it is, but that it existed at all.
Witchblade didn't particularly explain what the witchblade is, but it also wasn't just an invincibility plot device.

"Agent AIka" was just as much of a sci-fi themed Anime as it was an action Anime. If you remember they were after some weird giant frog egg looking thing called the "Lagu" that could change things at a subatomic level. So having some weird device that could transform AIka into some super human Amazon at that point didn't really shock me much. Over all The entire franchise was suppose to be more of a satire. The main villain's goal was to wipe out everyone on earth so he could create his own literal harem (as if he didn't already have a harem to begin with considering his entire army consisted of female fetish battle maids wearing skirts so short they always exposed the very bottom of their crotches) and the villainess went around just wearing lingerie even when piloting an air craft. Even as absurd as the "AIka" Franchise is, the "Akira" movie made less sense than the "Agent Aika" OVA.
ColourWheelNov 25, 2022 12:24 PM
Nov 25, 2022 12:36 PM

May 2020
Saying suck would be a bit to much but I never expected The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya to be my favorite movie

MAL is the perfect place to shit talk about people's opinions.
Nov 25, 2022 12:46 PM

Jul 2021
ColourWheel said:
JaniSIr said:

"Agent AIka" was just as much of a sci-fi themed Anime as it was an action Anime. If you remember they were after some weird giant frog egg looking thing called the "Lagu" that could change things at a subatomic level. So having some weird device that could transform AIka into some super human Amazon at that point didn't really shock me much. Over all The entire franchise was suppose to be more of a satire. The main villain's goal was to wipe out everyone on earth so he could create his own literal harem (as if he didn't already have a harem to begin with considering his entire army consisted of female fetish battle maids wearing skirts so short they always exposed the very bottom of their crotches) and the villainess went around just wearing lingerie even when piloting an air craft. Even as absurd as the "AIka" Franchise is, the "Akira" movie made less sense than the "Agent Aika" OVA.

Keijo was satire too, but that actually was funny, besides the ridiculous panty shots.

And that doesn't mean me much, I haven't watched Akira.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 6 hours ago

9 by tchitchouan »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

20 by tchitchouan »»
4 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 4 hours ago

7 by tchitchouan »»
7 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 3 hours ago

17 by tchitchouan »»
9 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

36 by funtime43_tr »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.