Forum Settings
Forums

Anime rated below 8 is generally better than anime rated 8+

New
Nov 22, 2022 5:51 AM

Feb 2011
And if most your favorites are 8-9 it just means you don't watch outside of mainstream much and need to diversify your portfolio. 9+, on the other hand, are exceptions because usually they are accepted by most o the community members regardless of taste. Hunter x Hunter is an excetion, though. It doesn't even have a single cute girl.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 22, 2022 5:54 AM

Feb 2020
Yep, I wholeheartedly agree with you.
Nov 22, 2022 5:56 AM

Jul 2015
Finał season of Symphogear is a perfect example.

Nov 22, 2022 5:57 AM

Apr 2013
I like how you made up a new rule but immediately set up multiple exceptions. You might as well have just listed the shows you think are good xD

In my top 10 are four anime with an 8+ score... And one of them is actually below 7 lol
Nov 22, 2022 6:00 AM

Feb 2011
@Gator It seems like I have a knack for politics. Making new laws but setting up exceptions for yourself and your friends/sponsors is a norm in that field.
Nov 22, 2022 6:03 AM

Sep 2008
you're right, but I don't know about those exceptions.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Nov 22, 2022 6:03 AM

Sep 2018
The anime rated between 6.00 and 7.99 are 15 times more than the ones rated above 8.00: it wouldn't be surprising to find more good anime among the formers, but there are also way more bad anime (with the same shitty tropes as the most popular ones but worse production value).
NirinboNov 22, 2022 6:21 AM
Nov 22, 2022 6:09 AM

Oct 2018
Bleach with 9.11 speaks for itself.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Nov 22, 2022 6:14 AM

Feb 2021
I agree but it's still not the majority of it.

Nov 22, 2022 6:15 AM

Jul 2014
-Shizuna- said:
And if most your favorites are 8-9 it just means you don't watch outside of mainstream much and need to diversify your portfolio. 9+, on the other hand, are exceptions because usually they are accepted by most o the community members regardless of taste. Hunter x Hunter is an excetion, though. It doesn't even have a single cute girl.

That is only because anime after the financial crisis has been incredibly overrated compared to older shows, older shows even the most amazing ones barely get to 9, while new ones get 9-10 scores by everyone, in my case I am rating 3 anime this season 9/10 so far but that's cause they are airing after they end I reconsider every flaw the season had and then lower the scores appropriately (9-10 is just a placeholder score).

But like... look at demon slayer, terrible anime yet at 8.53?
Nov 22, 2022 6:16 AM
Jul 2018
Eh. People are going to have their different opinions on ratings. At the end of the day, they're community ratings. Everyone is going to have different experiences with shows.
Nov 22, 2022 6:18 AM

Sep 2020
From what I like, I agree with you, but this statement is not always true.
Nov 22, 2022 6:22 AM

Jun 2016
Turn A Gundam is rated below 8 and Turn A Gundam is better than all the Gundam rated above 8 so OP is right.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Nov 22, 2022 6:22 AM

Jun 2017
Can you please turn that into a mathematical formula that returns the actual rating then? We could suggest MAL to include it.

Nov 22, 2022 6:24 AM

Jun 2022
I'm a little confused, is this post talking about anime whose rating in general are rated above an 8, or user's personal ratings? In the case of the former there only about 12 anime even rated above an 8 and in case of users, well of course ppl are going to give their favorites a 10.
Nov 22, 2022 6:30 AM

Apr 2019
Nah. Anime that are below 8 are mostly mediocre in my opinion. I haven't encountered a lot of good shows that are rated below 8. I do give them a chance whenever something among them looks interesting but so far my experiences have been pretty negative. Yesterday only I watched this old ass anime movie that was rated a 7.1 and it was absolute trash. I don't think I am gonna bother with a plethora of anime that's rated below 8 just to find just 1 good show. Not worth the effort.
Nov 22, 2022 6:31 AM
Jun 2021
-Shizuna- said:

Based.

Seasonal watchers are tourists who don't have taste.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Nov 22, 2022 6:35 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
Bro, your only favourite has the score above 9. I can sense the heavy smell of hypocrite here.
kizumi91Nov 22, 2022 7:26 AM
Nov 22, 2022 6:40 AM

May 2019
Yeah, i completely agree with this.
Nov 22, 2022 6:43 AM

Feb 2011
kizumi91 said:
Bro, your only favourite has the score above 9. I can smell the heavy sense of hypocrite here.
Let enough casuals watch it and it'll drop below 8 in no time.
Nov 22, 2022 6:44 AM
Apr 2022
yeah i agree about your stupidity and retardedness
Nov 22, 2022 6:49 AM

Sep 2019
So I guess I have shit mainstream taste.
Nov 22, 2022 6:59 AM

Jun 2009
Sure, whatever you say, crazy internet person. Also you shouldn't talk about excretions here. That's filthy.
Nov 22, 2022 7:20 AM

Jun 2017
Scores are not relevant unless it's so low that the anime is unwatchable.
If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end.
” -Gintoki Sakata
Nov 22, 2022 7:22 AM

Sep 2020
In manga I definitely agree, in anime... not much lmao
Nov 22, 2022 7:24 AM

Apr 2018
portfolio sheesh, do you also take note of how the score is falling and rising so you decide when to talk about a show and when to shit on a show?
Isekai for the brain, CGDCT for the heart
Yuri for the pain and seiyuus for the soul.

Nov 22, 2022 7:29 AM

Jul 2021
King_KK said:
Nah. Anime that are below 8 are mostly mediocre in my opinion. I haven't encountered a lot of good shows that are rated below 8. I do give them a chance whenever something among them looks interesting but so far my experiences have been pretty negative. Yesterday only I watched this old ass anime movie that was rated a 7.1 and it was absolute trash. I don't think I am gonna bother with a plethora of anime that's rated below 8 just to find just 1 good show. Not worth the effort.

If you want to watch things that interest you over just whatever is popular that's kinda what you have to do unfortunately.
I just straight up start pre-2000 shows with 10K members rated below 7, because it's more interesting than whatever overhyped nonsense is airing now.
Nov 22, 2022 7:31 AM

Aug 2012
RomanceEnjoyer48 said:

I agree with you on this wholeheartedly. So many underrated manga/manhwa that are fantastic with ridiculously low scores at times.
Nov 22, 2022 7:35 AM

Sep 2020
duchessliz87 said:
RomanceEnjoyer48 said:

I agree with you on this wholeheartedly. So many underrated manga/manhwa that are fantastic with ridiculously low scores at times.
The josei ones. Most of my favorites from that demography have 7.xx mean score 😩
Nov 22, 2022 7:51 AM

Feb 2011
tresh54 said:
portfolio sheesh, do you also take note of how the score is falling and rising so you decide when to talk about a show and when to shit on a show?
Anime stocks is a serious business.
Nov 22, 2022 7:56 AM

Jul 2021
DreadfulControl said:

Gyo. It's at 5.something and it was actually kinda good...
Nov 22, 2022 8:06 AM

May 2020
Ye definitely, there are some hidden gems out there.
Nov 22, 2022 8:06 AM

Feb 2020
-Shizuna- said:
Serafos said:

A lot of mfs that don't seem to have learned what GENERALLLY means are circlejerking to their pseudo-intellect, so I really feel the need to interject here.

If you happen to have stumbled across anime that you like in the <8 range, great. Y'all need to keep in mind that there are literally thousands and thousands more anime in the latter range than the former, so it's not strange that you've encountered and liked them. Saying, from your menial (and likely extremely contrarian) experience that <8 shows are GENERALLY better than their >8 counterparts just flies in the face of logic, and what an aggregated rating on a site with millions of users even means.

Maybe y'all meant something different when you said generally? Maybe you hypocritically make exception for the occasional 8.XX show you like mor than an arbitrary 7.XX show? Idk, but this argument seems pointless.

Edit: Oh, wow, someone that gets it! :)

Nirinbo said:
The anime rated between 6.00 and 7.99 are 15 times more than the ones rated above 8.00: it wouldn't be surprising to find more good anime among the formers, but there are also way more bad anime (with the same shitty tropes as the most popular ones but worse production value).

Please sign up for MangAlert! It's a little project I made that I'd really like to see the light of day and some users.

MangAlert! (please sign up!)
GitHub Repo (please star!)
Nov 22, 2022 8:13 AM

Oct 2011
The best of the best is anything rated 1 to 3 out of 10. Everything else is trash. With the exception of those rated 2.5 just because.
Nov 22, 2022 8:14 AM

Oct 2010
-Shizuna- said:
Hunter x Hunter is an excetion

you were doing so good, how is huntrash x garbage an exeption? hte anime forgets its power system 5 episodes after it's first introduced and explained, it has no fights even though it was supposed to have and the art style is pure mediocrity. That rubbish anime is the perfect example for your thread
Nov 22, 2022 8:18 AM

Feb 2011
Catalano said:
-Shizuna- said:
Hunter x Hunter is an excetion

you were doing so good, how is huntrash x garbage an exeption? hte anime forgets its power system 5 episodes after it's first introduced and explained, it has no fights even though it was supposed to have and the art style is pure mediocrity. That rubbish anime is the perfect example for your thread
You don't get it. HxH is the exception from 9+ titles which are mostly good.
Nov 22, 2022 8:27 AM

Jun 2017
JaniSIr said:
DreadfulControl said:

Gyo, where the source material got raped, made into an american trash horror which was ugly and criminally boring, yeah it was good indeed.
If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end.
” -Gintoki Sakata
Nov 22, 2022 8:32 AM

Jul 2015
Some of the best shows I've seen were rated below 7 here, and 95% of the 8.5+ shows I saw were garbage. Older shows' ratings are a bit more valuable, but modern ones (2011+) are just garbage hype meters.

You younglings would swallow any shit and make bots to 10/10 it as long as it has pretty colors and a huge twitter fanbase tbh U_U
DeathkoNov 30, 2022 7:43 AM
Nov 22, 2022 8:41 AM

Oct 2010
-Shizuna- said:
Catalano said:

You don't get it. HxH is the exception from 9+ titles which are mostly good.

damn, how do I delete a post now?
ok, my comprehension skills left my brain, sorry
Nov 22, 2022 9:05 AM
Jul 2018
Uji_Gintoki_Bowl said:
-Shizuna- said:
Serafos said:

A lot of mfs that don't seem to have learned what GENERALLLY means are circlejerking to their pseudo-intellect, so I really feel the need to interject here.

If you happen to have stumbled across anime that you like in the <8 range, great. Y'all need to keep in mind that there are literally thousands and thousands more anime in the latter range than the former, so it's not strange that you've encountered and liked them. Saying, from your menial (and likely extremely contrarian) experience that <8 shows are GENERALLY better than their >8 counterparts just flies in the face of logic, and what an aggregated rating on a site with millions of users even means.

Maybe y'all meant something different when you said generally? Maybe you hypocritically make exception for the occasional 8.XX show you like mor than an arbitrary 7.XX show? Idk, but this argument seems pointless.

Based, there are probably hundreds if not thousands of animes from years ago when they had >8 score which they no longer have. If this thread was made during time they had >8 score, would that change its quality? Scores change all the time, the quality of an anime doesn't.
Nov 22, 2022 9:06 AM

Oct 2021
that is too much of a generalization. one of my all-time fav sonny boy is rated below 8 and i like it a lot more than many 8+ rated shows but that does not mean that range have better shows. there are garbage on both sides. there is garbage like blue lock with high rating while Masamune Kun gets deserved low ratings. rather below 8 range is normally average at best. sonny boy, heike monogatari ,aria the animation are rather exception.
Nov 22, 2022 9:32 AM

Jul 2021
DreadfulControl said:
JaniSIr said:

Gyo, where the source material got raped, made into an american trash horror which was ugly and criminally boring, yeah it was good indeed.

Your words have no power over me, for I have not read the source material.
Nov 22, 2022 10:57 AM

Aug 2010
I get it, whatever you like is good and whatever everyone else likes is bad.
Thank god you're here to show us the path to true enlightenment.

though honestly, content on aggregator sites tend to be rated pretty high on average.
A show that cant crack the 8s on MAL is probably just not something that most people think is great.
To chalk things up as mainstream vs non-mainstream is a nonsense argument. Aside from that anime is still niche to begin with, mainstream just means that a lot of people like a thing. Why would a lot of people liking a thing mean that that thing is bad?
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Nov 22, 2022 11:32 AM

Aug 2013
Of course I agree. Some series that are highly rated reach me out (like Clannad or Steins;Gate), but if I'm going to watch something and it has a strangely high rating then I approach that title with caution. On the other hand, I've noticed that when something has a rating in the 6-8 range I mostly like it. But I don't really follow the ratings at all when choosing a series to watch.

Only 4 series of 10 series added to my favorite list have rating above 8.

But I do not agree with those 9+ "accepted by all."
HxH was a borefest for me. I watched to the end just so I could complain. The same with FMA:B and other "masterpieces".
Like I counted only 8 titles that I could in good conscience call "must watch" from the top 50 on MAL.
rsc-plNov 22, 2022 11:39 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Nov 22, 2022 11:37 AM

Jun 2016
School Days is ten times better than FMAB
Nov 22, 2022 11:52 AM

Dec 2015
Obviously agree. Og Bleach and Movies are below 8 rated, no need to remind me that it is way better than the other titles. Same for 9+ TYBW got it. All according to Aizen's Plan.

Nonetheless there are alot of stuff which are below rated 8 or even less known and are better than the "top" animes, as said for how I rate anime in the scoring system thread from today/yesterday mine rating for Fmab is 8/10 and I have 270 titles rated 9-10 so it says alot.

Nov 22, 2022 11:57 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
All Anime are better than demon slayer and mushoku tenshit

Nov 22, 2022 11:57 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
I kinda want to agree, almost all of the actually interesting stuff ends up below 8 but I have to be real and admit that there's jas high of a fraction of garbage below 8 as above. The best thing to do is to ignore the score completely and watch what seems promising.
Nov 22, 2022 1:52 PM
Dec 2021
Definitely agree with this. Many of the better anime don’t have the higher average scores. Black Rock Shooter has an average rating of 6.81 (as of now), yet its quality exceeds that of anything with an above-8 average.
Nov 22, 2022 3:36 PM

May 2020
As if scores really mean shit especially here on MAL. Sometimes anime under the score of 8 can be the best, other times when they're above 8 they can also be the best. So I guess it doesn't matter for me

MAL is the perfect place to shit talk about people's opinions.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Would your husbando wash your dirty feet?

Catalano - 19 minutes ago

2 by tchitchouan »»
24 seconds ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

64 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
1 minute ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

34 by Horshu »»
5 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 26 minutes ago

7 by WatchTillTandava »»
5 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - 1 hour ago

8 by Horshu »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.