Forum Settings
Forums

[Update Nov 7] Anime List Notes: Easily share thoughts with friends

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 28, 2022 8:25 PM
Oct 2019
Very niiiiiiiiiiice MAL staff 👌I like writing my thoughts like this so I just finished adding some to my completed lol <3
Sep 29, 2022 12:07 AM

Jun 2009
Can I turn this crap off somehow? Just adds pointless bloat to my list.
Sep 29, 2022 12:08 AM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
Love these new updates! Taking the best of AniList and implementing it to MAL.
Sep 29, 2022 12:27 AM

May 2015
I do think it's great reviewers that used tags don't have to use them anymore, but I have a complaint about this.

While you can disable the notes showing up as-is on your list, disabling the option doesn't stop your friends from getting your note updates. The only alternative to avoid this right now is to go private, but that isn't ideal.

It'd be great if the updates could be disabled by the note writer, not only by the friends getting the notif.
SegacoSep 29, 2022 12:50 AM
Sep 29, 2022 11:17 AM

Jan 2012
SheyCroix said:
Kwanthemaster said:
I was taking about the feature with some friends, and we noticed a privacy concern with this update. It seems that when you deselect the note toggle, this only changes the immediate visibility on your list (they still show up under "more"), but more importantly, they still show up in the recent friend updates section. Essentially this means that for people who wanted to keep these notes private (or at least not publicized to everyone on their list), is not able to unless they make their list entirely private.

I suggest the following updates:
1) Allow users the option to toggle if their own notes will show up in their friends updates.
2) Allow notes to be completely hidden from a user's list. If there are two toggles that allow you to either keep notes hidden under "more" or the option for them to be completely invisible, that would be ideal.

On another topic, are there any plays for our own anime/manga history pages to to receive a visual update to match the friends one?

Essentially, this.

I don't use notes as often, but usually I add there links to official sites and/or random blab. It would be very useful to completely hide the notes without having to make our entire list private.

+1 to visual update to the rest of the history pages

This.
I have always used the notes section to hold my private thoughts and comments about a series, and I hate that I now have to put my whole list on private just to avoid sharing those thoughts and comments with the world. An option to keep those thoughts/"notes" private without having to put my whole list in "private mode" would greatly be appreciated! The fact that there is not currently an option for this is pretty concerning for me. It makes me sad that I have to now keep my list as "private", so I hope I will not have to do this for too long.

Sep 29, 2022 12:24 PM

May 2009
Please give option to remove it. I like the list simple and not bloated.
Sep 29, 2022 12:33 PM

Apr 2020
Kineta said:
To make it easier to share your thoughts on anime and manga with your friends, we've added some new functionality to this lost feature:[list][*]A new "Notes" column in the List Settings.

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT NOTES ARE PUBLIC?????
I don't know how signatures work

Sep 29, 2022 2:28 PM

Jan 2008
How does this website keep getting worse with literally every update? Just...how?

Not only does this update make lists look cluttered, but notes were supposed to be private, not for the world to see. Just had to go through my lists and delete them all.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 29, 2022 4:57 PM

Feb 2008
Any way to disable this comment under "Recent Friend Updates"? It's a bit unnecessary imo. And when I click on "See more", it slows my whole browser until I close out the tab...
Sep 29, 2022 5:49 PM

Nov 2012
Neat! No more using tags for this I suppose.
Sep 29, 2022 11:45 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
I've no idea what is going on with the hide/mute option ... But hopefully I can figure it out

Sep 30, 2022 12:45 PM

Sep 2016
Nice update, thanks!
;

This Life. This Night. Your Story. Your Pain. Your Hope. It matters. All of it matters.

;

Oct 3, 2022 11:25 AM

Dec 2015
https://myanimelist.net/editprofile.php?go=listpreferences
Removing the checkmark for "notes" there will remove the additional line with the "add notes" thing. Just for the people that need it and who don't use the settings too often. So they can find it quickly.

Personally I still use the pretty old classic list style. The basic one without any modification. Always liked it cause it was neat and clean. And the additional line did not fit in there.

Edit: Though the opening post seems to mention this as well. :D But seems some others still did not find it ant complain about the list being bloated. (Personally I first tried to look for the settings before reading the thread. Luckily the new settign was easy to find and understand.)
Oct 8, 2022 7:46 AM
Jul 2018
Thanks so much!
Now I can use the tag section for actual tags!
Oct 15, 2022 9:53 AM

Apr 2009
Luthandorius said:
https://myanimelist.net/editprofile.php?go=listpreferences
Removing the checkmark for "notes" there will remove the additional line with the "add notes" thing. Just for the people that need it and who don't use the settings too often. So they can find it quickly.

Personally I still use the pretty old classic list style. The basic one without any modification. Always liked it cause it was neat and clean. And the additional line did not fit in there.

Edit: Though the opening post seems to mention this as well. :D But seems some others still did not find it ant complain about the list being bloated. (Personally I first tried to look for the settings before reading the thread. Luckily the new settign was easy to find and understand.)

Thx for the tip.
Kolejny do Kostnicy
Oct 24, 2022 11:42 AM

Aug 2017
Looks like they added the option to not send the note into the friends' feed, so it's fine now. The privacy issue was more or less addressed, but I wish the default option was to NOT show notes in the friends' feeds, rather than the opposite.
St0rmbladeOct 24, 2022 12:24 PM
Oct 25, 2022 12:40 PM

Jun 2021
St0rmblade said:
Looks like they added the option to not send the note into the friends' feed, so it's fine now. The privacy issue was more or less addressed, but I wish the default option was to NOT show notes in the friends' feeds, rather than the opposite.

I wonder why that's not the default. It's kinda a hassle that we always have to tick off/uncheck the box "Send note to Recent Friend Updates." when saving notes.
Oct 25, 2022 12:50 PM

Aug 2017
IridescentJaune said:
St0rmblade said:

I wonder why that's not the default. It's kinda a hassle that we always have to tick off/uncheck the box "Send note to Recent Friend Updates." when saving notes.

It seems like the choice is also "saved" for a given entry. So if you tick it once for some anime and update notes multiple times, your choice will be saved (either notify friends or not)
Oct 25, 2022 1:03 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
St0rmblade said:
IridescentJaune said:

It seems like the choice is also "saved" for a given entry. So if you tick it once for some anime and update notes multiple times, your choice will be saved (either notify friends or not)

Good to see at least this was added, but I do not see any options for:
a) a setting for all notes to not be sent to your feed
b) the option for notes to be completely invisible (and your list still public)
I think it is good for there to be options for notes to be directly visible on your list or hidden under the "More" tab, but we are missing the third option.
Oct 25, 2022 1:04 PM

Jun 2021
St0rmblade said:
IridescentJaune said:

Oh, yeah. I just noticed that after saving a couple of notes for different shows. It would've been better if the "Send note to Recent Friend Updates." option is just included in the List Settings like the 'Notes' one so we don't have to tick it for every anime/manga.
Oct 25, 2022 1:56 PM

Aug 2017
IridescentJaune said:
St0rmblade said:

Oh, yeah. I just noticed that after saving a couple of notes for different shows. It would've been better if the "Send note to Recent Friend Updates." option is just included in the List Settings like the 'Notes' one so we don't have to tick it for every anime/manga.

Fully agreed, this should be a list-wide option, possibly with an ability to override list-wide options for a specific chosen entry.
Oct 25, 2022 8:10 PM

Oct 2020
Here's my hipster moment: I've been using the Notes feature since I signed up on MAL to write my personal long form thoughts on everything I've seen. I don't mind if people read them, but I tend to ramble and self-reference a lot since they are, after all, written by me for me. I also am a serial anime watcher and lately I feel like I've just been spamming the good people on my friends list with my constant notes updates.

I don't think I saw that "Send note to Recent Friend Updates" checkmark earlier today, so it must have happened in the last few hours. Thanks to whoever updated and added this feature so quickly.
Oct 26, 2022 8:13 PM

May 2015
I'm just happy it happened, thank you
Oct 28, 2022 9:10 PM

Apr 2016
I often write my personal thoughts on Notes. It is a place meant to me, where I can type the shit I want and remember why I liked or disliked something.

Never wanted to let other people know what kind of stuff I write there, so this update is a pain in ass to my overall privacy. No need to say that "send note to recent friend updates" should be disabled by standard and only the ones who want to share their thoughts should enable it. Even worse, it should be a global "disable" button, not an one by one.

StewedBeefHaunch said:
don't think I saw that "Send note to Recent Friend Updates" checkmark earlier today, so it must have happened in the last few hours. Thanks to whoever updated and added this feature so quickly.

I tested with myself, even if you disable the "send note to recent friend updates" people still will see them if they click on "Comment", surely a pain in ass.

All I can do is just hope for an update to fix this, just a button like "disable my notes to others" or something. Oof

Nov 3, 2022 3:07 AM

Jun 2009
grandy_UiD said:
Can I turn this crap off somehow? Just adds pointless bloat to my list.

Actually yes. Nice.
grandy_UiDNov 3, 2022 3:11 AM
Nov 12, 2022 12:11 PM

Sep 2019
Ohmena: I often write my personal thoughts on Notes. It is a place meant to me, where I can type the shit I want and remember why I liked or disliked something
Kwanthemaster: [Make an] option for notes to be completely invisible (and your list still public)
Beatnik: Notes were supposed to be private, not for the world to see. Just had to go through my lists and delete them all
EstebanOD: WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT NOTES ARE PUBLIC?????
IheartAnime77: I have always used the notes section to hold my private thoughts and comments about a series,
          I hate that I now have to put my whole list on private just to avoid sharing those thoughts and comments with the world
cheerio38010: Please make an option to make your own notes private
Volkslied: I would really appreciate a feature to make notes completely private
SheyCroix: It would be very useful to completely hide the notes without having to make our entire list private
St0rmblade: I never write comments/notes for others [...]
El-Melloi: I can see how you would think this is a good idea, but all of the comments/notes I wrote so far were reminders for myself

I have also always considered notes (previously known as comments) to be for myself only, and I didn't actually know up until a month ago that they were fully public instead...

So if it would be possible to make notes private, that'd be great. And as you can see this topic does not shy away from requests for notes to be PRIVATE; so can this happen already @Devs, pretty please? :)

You already hide empty notes when viewing other users' lists (at least on standard designs, it looks like), so you already have the code and the stylesheet to do it... so why don't you allow us to actually hide our user notes from our public lists? I've created a Poll, if you'd like to vote and leave your feedback on allowing user notes to be an actual reserved area.
S_h_a_r_k_93Nov 12, 2022 7:11 PM
Did you know that Notes are public? How do you personally use them?
Cast your vote and add a reply to this suggestion to let the devs know:
Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)
Nov 12, 2022 7:07 PM
Master of Cursed

Aug 2011
S_h_a_r_k_93 said:
I have also always considered notes (previously known as comments) to be for myself only, and I didn't actually know up until a month ago that they were fully public instead...

So if it would be possible to make notes private, that'd be great. And as you can see this topic does not shy away from requests for notes to be PRIVATE; so can this happen already @Devs, pretty please? :)

You already hide empty notes when viewing other users' lists, so you already have the code and the stylesheet to do it... so why don't you allow us to actually hide our user notes from our public lists? I've created a Poll, if you'd like to vote and leave your feedback on allowing user notes to be an actual reserved area.

A few weeks ago I noticed they actually added an option to not share your notes publicly for a show when you update it, right under the notes box in the advanced section of editing a show. So for me, things are fine again :) I don't think most people go out of their way to stalk your private notes in your list, and I mainly use that feature on my own list.

Nov 12, 2022 11:14 PM

Aug 2017
cheerio38010 said:
S_h_a_r_k_93 said:

You already hide empty notes when viewing other users' lists, so you already have the code and the stylesheet to do it... so why don't you allow us to actually hide our user notes from our public lists? I've created a Poll, if you'd like to vote and leave your feedback on allowing user notes to be an actual reserved area.

A few weeks ago I noticed they actually added an option to not share your notes publicly for a show when you update it, right under the notes box in the advanced section of editing a show. So for me, things are fine again :) I don't think most people go out of their way to stalk your private notes in your list, and I mainly use that feature on my own list.

This option is good but it doesn't make the notes "private", it's just the status-quo before the update (they're public but are not sent to your friends). A welcome addition to be sure, but I'd like it to be the default option, without the necessity to click on it for every entry. And more privacy would be nice as an option.
Nov 24, 2022 1:21 AM

Jan 2017
Kineta said:
For members who have been using tags as notes, we will be adding a one-way conversion button to transfer your notes from the tags area. This is still being developed, so please give us a bit more time with this.

@mods do you know if we're getting this function before the year ends?
Apr 2, 2023 10:53 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Any progress on converting tags to notes yet? Thanks.
Oct 24, 2023 1:54 AM

Sep 2019
Reply to subesora
cheerio38010 said:
As others have said, please make an option to make your own notes private. I'm fine having them viewable in my list itself, but this is like broadcasting them to everyone. Otherwise, I think this is a fun update :)

^Agreed.
@subesora @ebobebo please consider voting in the poll in my signature, thank you very much.
Did you know that Notes are public? How do you personally use them?
Cast your vote and add a reply to this suggestion to let the devs know:
Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

201 by EverySportsAnime »»
9 hours ago

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Destinesia »»
11 hours ago

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3340 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 17

144 by The_real_maomao »»
Apr 9, 4:26 PM

» English Titles Added to Desktop; Moving Towards a Romanized/English Toggle ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Feb 12, 2020

121 by Vaturna »»
Apr 4, 5:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.