Forum Settings
Forums

New 'Rurouni Kenshin' TV Anime Unveils Cast, Staff, 2023 Premiere

New
Sep 23, 2022 10:04 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
The Aniplex Online Fest 2022 event unveiled the main cast, staff, a character visual (pictured), and first promotional video for the new television anime adaptation of Nobuhiro Watsuki's Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan (Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Swordsman Romantic Story) manga on Saturday. The new anime series will premiere on Fuji TV's noitaminA programming block in 2023.

Souma Saitou (Yuukoku no Moriarty) and Rie Takahashi (Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu) are starring as Kenshin Himura and Kaoru Kamiya, respectively.

Staff
Director: Hideyo Yamamoto (Strike the Blood)
Series Composition: Hideyuki Kurata (Made in Abyss)
Character Design: Terumi Nishii (JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 4: Diamond wa Kudakenai)
Music: Yuu Takami (Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin)
Studio: LIDENFILMS

Weekly Shounen Jump serialized the original historical samurai manga between 1994 and 1999. Watsuki and his wife Kaoru Kurosaki launched the Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan - Hokkaido-hen (Rurouni Kenshin: Hokkaido Arc) sequel manga in Jump SQ. in November 2016. Shueisha published the seventh volume on May 2.

The original television anime by Studio Deen and Gallop aired in 94 episodes from 1996 to 1998. Aniplex released a four-episode OVA the following year that served as a prequel to the television anime, followed by a two-episode sequel OVA in 2002.

PV 1

Source: Press Release
DatRandomDudeDec 17, 2022 6:33 PM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 23, 2022 10:18 PM

Oct 2017
PV looks neat and the cast is great.
Sep 23, 2022 10:20 PM

Sep 2020
I am currently watching the old series. Now what I will do ?
Sep 23, 2022 10:20 PM
Mar 2019
Bruh,it was reboot. I thought it was new arc of Hokkaido adaptation. And new seiyuu soma saito and Rieri duet again. Btw miss childhood legendary old anime and miss old voice actor. Live action did a better job too
Sep 23, 2022 10:27 PM
Dec 2014
nooooooooooo ...
the old cast :-(
Sep 23, 2022 10:28 PM

Jan 2017
The Trailer doesn't looks bad , so i hope it really is like that in the actual series , especially with the reputation of LidenFilms...
I'm one of the few who actually loved Mayo Suzukaze , so i'm a little bit sad she doesn't take the role of Kenshin again , but welp.
I'm also a little bit doubtful about the OSTs.

ZXEAN said:

I highly doubt this Remake can top the adaptation of the Kyoto/Tsuioku Arcs made before , so i still recommend you to watch them.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Sep 23, 2022 10:29 PM
Jan 2017
Yooo i can't wait! this series is soo good, kenshin the GOAT
Sep 23, 2022 10:35 PM

Jun 2019
PEAK and GOATFILMS...
Sep 23, 2022 10:41 PM

May 2020
But how many episodes will it have? I highly doubt something even close to the original one. And well yeah then there's split cour thing too.
Sep 23, 2022 10:52 PM

Sep 2020
Alexioos95 said:
The Trailer doesn't looks bad , so i hope it really is like that in the actual series , especially with the reputation of LidenFilms...
I'm one of the few who actually loved Mayo Suzukaze , so i'm a little bit sad she doesn't take the role of Kenshin again , but welp.
I'm also a little bit doubtful about the OSTs.

ZXEAN said:

I highly doubt this Remake can top the adaptation of the Kyoto/Tsuioku Arcs made before , so i still recommend you to watch them.
Ok I will try to complete the old series first then.

Hopefully this remake doesn't focus to much on comidy lol. Rurouni Kenshin is best when it's serious and dramatic just like it's 4 episode OVA.
Sep 23, 2022 11:23 PM

Jan 2009
im sure this is gonna be mid like the Shaman King remake but im still gonna watch it
Sep 23, 2022 11:30 PM

Oct 2010
looks like the VA of kenshin is a dude, that's great
Sep 23, 2022 11:37 PM

Jan 2017
ZXEAN said:
Ok I will try to complete the old series first then.

After Episode 62 there is only fillers. (They were also so bad that they got the series cancelled)

Hopefully this remake doesn't focus to much on comidy lol. Rurouni Kenshin is best when it's serious and dramatic just like it's 4 episode OVA.

Well , the original Manga had a lot of comedy , even in the Tsuioku-hen chapters.
All fans were greatly surprised when the OVAs was released and we noticed they removed all the small comedy shenanigans toning down the sadness.
So no , i don't think they'll do like the OVAs.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Sep 23, 2022 11:54 PM

Apr 2018
ZXEAN said:

This is why I always say that watching Tsuioku-hen before the original series is a huge mistake. Because doing so sets up the viewer to expect a certain tone and atmosphere from the series that just isn't really present until way, way later into the story. It starts out light and comedic, and then it slowly builds up to a darker tone from the Kyoto arc onwards.

The reason why Tsuioku-hen has such a bleak, dramatic vibe is precisely because the events shown in that OVA aren't revealed until the final arc (Jinchuu). The viewer isn't supposed to go into the beginning of the story already knowing the details of Kenshin's past.
Stygian_PrisonerSep 24, 2022 12:01 AM
Sep 24, 2022 12:33 AM
Apr 2022
ZXEAN said:
Why do people like you exist?
Just continue watching it, if you like it, or stop if you don't.

Reboot is it's own thing, and not meant to replace the original adaptation.

ZXEAN said:

Don't tell me you watched that 4 episode OVA first, before watching series?

What is wrong with you?
AzeringSep 24, 2022 12:37 AM
Sep 24, 2022 1:14 AM
Jul 2018
the preview looks awesome can't wait for this
Sep 24, 2022 1:35 AM

Oct 2018
I doubt it's going to be better than the original, I'll wait for it to end before watching it. Also, to think that I had even a little hope that Hiroshi Hamasaki will be involved in the project. What a fool I was.
Sep 24, 2022 1:43 AM

Sep 2020
Azering said:
ZXEAN said:
Why do people like you exist?
Just continue watching it, if you like it, or stop if you don't.

Reboot is it's own thing, and not meant to replace the original adaptation.

ZXEAN said:

Don't tell me you watched that 4 episode OVA first, before watching series?

What is wrong with you?
Why are you getting triggered lol.

There are lots of reboot which are better than its original. Fruit Basket, FMAB and HxH are prime example.

Yes I watched the OVA first because I thought it's prequel to the original series. Moreover I was interested in watching long series.
Sep 24, 2022 1:58 AM

Sep 2020
Stygian_Prisoner said:
ZXEAN said:

This is why I always say that watching Tsuioku-hen before the original series is a huge mistake. Because doing so sets up the viewer to expect a certain tone and atmosphere from the series that just isn't really present until way, way later into the story. It starts out light and comedic, and then it slowly builds up to a darker tone from the Kyoto arc onwards.

The reason why Tsuioku-hen has such a bleak, dramatic vibe is precisely because the events shown in that OVA aren't revealed until the final arc (Jinchuu). The viewer isn't supposed to go into the beginning of the story already knowing the details of Kenshin's past.
Yaa I should have watched that OVA after the original series lol.
Sep 24, 2022 2:00 AM

Apr 2012
So, is this a reboot, a remake or what?
Sep 24, 2022 2:13 AM

Mar 2015
Kuma5an_De5u said:
Bruh,it was reboot. I thought it was new arc of Hokkaido adaptation. And new seiyuu soma saito and Rieri duet again. Btw miss childhood legendary old anime and miss old voice actor. Live action did a better job too
same. if the reboot also didn't adapt jinchuu arc, i am going to be really disappointed!
ZXEAN said:
[Hopefully this remake doesn't focus to much on comidy lol. Rurouni Kenshin is best when it's serious and dramatic just like it's 4 episode OVA.
comeone, the comedy part is what make the serious part gut puncher just like gintama was. i actually didn't like hokkaido arc sequel because it's way over the top with seriousness.
RobertBobert said:
the PV adapting first few page of first chapter in the manga. it's look like reboot from start.
KumaSep 24, 2022 2:16 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 24, 2022 2:18 AM

Apr 2012
Kuma said:
Kuma5an_De5u said:
same. if the reboot also didn't adapt jinchuu arc, i am going to be really disappointed!
ZXEAN said:
[Hopefully this remake doesn't focus to much on comidy lol. Rurouni Kenshin is best when it's serious and dramatic just like it's 4 episode OVA.
comeone, the comedy part is what make the serious part gut puncher just like gintama was. i actually didn't like hokkaido arc sequel because it's way over the top with seriousness.
RobertBobert said:
the PV adapting first few page of first chapter in the manga. it's look like reboot from start.

I've only watched the first few arcs of the anime, so I hope this makes sense.
Sep 24, 2022 2:25 AM

Mar 2015
RobertBobert said:
Kuma said:

i don't remember anything that doesn't make sense in the older anime. it's pretty straightforward cookie cutter battle shounen series. i don't remember anything making nonsense. is there anything wrong?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 24, 2022 2:30 AM

Apr 2012
Kuma said:
RobertBobert said:

i don't remember anything that doesn't make sense in the older anime. it's pretty straightforward cookie cutter battle shounen series. i don't remember anything making nonsense. is there anything wrong?

I was obviously talking about the meaning of the new adaptation and watching it for me.
Sep 24, 2022 2:49 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
It looks so good man....I'm super glad that this is confirmed to be a complete remake because I planned on rewatching the series and thankfully now I can do so with this new one (Hopefully it's manga accurate)
Sep 24, 2022 3:03 AM

Mar 2015
RobertBobert said:
Kuma said:

I was obviously talking about the meaning of the new adaptation and watching it for me.
oh, i see. it shouldn't be. seem to be full remake since start.
Sep 24, 2022 3:09 AM

Jan 2009
the PV seems pre-animated so i do not expect any good amount of sakuga on the actual show
Sep 24, 2022 3:12 AM

Jul 2016
Surprised that they decided to recast all of the characters and how Kenshin being voiced by a man this time around, considering Watsuki himself preferred female VA as Kenshin (And that's how Megumi Ogata and Mayo Suzukaze was casted in the first place).

Will definitely miss Mayo Suzukaze's Kenshin voice tho
Sep 24, 2022 3:23 AM

Apr 2012
Kuma said:
RobertBobert said:

Does the original anime adapt the entire manga without noticeable fillers or omissions?
Sep 24, 2022 4:03 AM

Feb 2021
It looks so intriguing! Guess that I will wait for all the episodes to finish airing and then watch it.
Sep 24, 2022 4:26 AM

May 2021
strike the blood director strikes again! decent enough. a good story by a shitty author. the slashes sounded and looked crispy, lidenfilms boutta drop some heat again?!
Sep 24, 2022 4:59 AM

Jan 2017
ZXEAN said:
Yes I watched the OVA first because I thought it's prequel to the original series.

It is , and that's exactly why you need to watch it after.
Prequel doesn't mean that you should watch it first , it just means that it happens before in the timeline.
This concept works incredibly well for tragic backstories , so they are often made only toward the end of the work.

RobertBobert said:
Does the original anime adapt the entire manga without noticeable fillers or omissions?

Eh.

The Manga contains 3 Arcs : Tokyo , Kyoto & Jinchuu.

Tokyo was adapted with a few changes/fillers , but it's still ok.
Kyoto was adapted extremely faithfully , with a notable step-up in Animation/OSTs. (And without a single filler scene)
Jinchuu was still ongoing in the Manga , so they replaced it with a long serie of fillers , which were so bad that it got the Anime cancelled...
After that , the Tsuioku-hen OVAs adapted the past chapters shown in the Jinchuu Arc , while Seisou-hen OVAs used a few elements of this last Arc to create an Anime-Original ending.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Sep 24, 2022 5:09 AM

Apr 2012
Alexioos95 said:
ZXEAN said:
Yes I watched the OVA first because I thought it's prequel to the original series.

It is , and that's exactly why you need to watch it after.
Prequel doesn't mean that you should watch it first , it just means that it happens before in the timeline.
This concept works incredibly well for tragic backstories , so they are often made only toward the end of the work.

RobertBobert said:

Eh.

The Manga contains 3 Arcs : Tokyo , Kyoto & Jinchuu.

Tokyo was adapted with a few changes/fillers , but it's still ok.
Kyoto was adapted extremely faithfully , with a notable step-up in Animation/OSTs. (And without a single filler scene)
Jinchuu was still ongoing in the Manga , so they replaced it with a long serie of fillers , which were so bad that it got the Anime cancelled...
After that , the Tsuioku-hen OVAs adapted the past chapters shown in the Jinchuu Arc , while Seisou-hen OVAs used a few elements of this last Arc to create an Anime-Original ending.

Was the original anime actually canceled due to it ruining the adaptation of the actual arc from the manga?
Sep 24, 2022 5:23 AM

Jan 2017
RobertBobert said:
Was the original anime actually canceled due to it ruining the adaptation of the actual arc from the manga?

It's not that it ruined the Arc , in fact it didn't even touched it.
They didn't dare to start adapting an Arc that wasn't finished at that time , so they improvised fillers after fillers. (Episode 62 is the end of the Kyoto Arc , and everything after it (63 to 94) is just plain fillers)
Those fillers were so non-sensical (Like , it introduced magic in the world of Kenshin...) that people stopped watching it , driving down the TV audience...
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Sep 24, 2022 5:27 AM

Apr 2012
Alexioos95 said:
RobertBobert said:

It's not that it ruined the Arc , in fact it didn't even touched it.
They didn't dare to start adapting an Arc that wasn't finished at that time , so they improvised fillers after fillers. (Episode 62 is the end of the Kyoto Arc , and everything after it (63 to 94) is just plain fillers)
Those fillers were so non-sensical (Like , it introduced magic in the world of Kenshin...) that people stopped watching it , driving down the TV audience...

This sounds even more pointless than the decision to adapt half a chapter per episode in One Piece in order to stay within the bounds of the released chapters.
Sep 24, 2022 6:18 AM

Mar 2015
RobertBobert said:
Kuma said:

read this guideline.
https://reddit.com/r/rurounikenshin/comments/htokbn/guide_to_rurouni_kenshin_read_this_before_asking/
Sep 24, 2022 6:57 AM

Sep 2011
I adore the trend of older series with bad to troubled adaptations getting more faithful or complete ones, the original Rurouni kenshin is a series absolutely bogged down in filler and poor pacing during its actual adapted parts this could be potentially great if it alleviates those problems.

ZXEAN said:

That'd be awful, the only reason trust and betrayal works is as a contrast to the tone of the story and building up Kenshin as a goofy well-meaning guy keeping his past vague throughout the series till its eventually revealed and we get to see the monster he used to be. Its at the direct midpoint of the series for a reason.
JizzyHitlerSep 24, 2022 7:02 AM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 24, 2022 7:06 AM

Sep 2020
JizzyHitler said:
I adore the trend of older series with bad to troubled adaptations getting more faithful or complete ones, the original Rurouni kenshin is a series absolutely bogged down in filler and poor pacing during its actual adapted parts this could be potentially great if it alleviates those problems.

ZXEAN said:

That'd be awful, the only reason trust and betrayal works is as a contrast to the tone of the story and building up Kenshin as a goofy well-meaning guy keeping his past vague throughout the series till its eventually revealed and we get to see the monster he used to be. Its at the direct midpoint of the series for a reason.
I watched trust and betrayal OVA before watching the original series may be that the reason my opinion differs from other. Moreover I only watched first 27 ep of the TV series currently it's on hold.
ZXEANSep 24, 2022 7:11 AM
Sep 24, 2022 7:13 AM

Sep 2011
ZXEAN said:
JizzyHitler said:

I watched trust and betrayal OVA before watching the original series may be that the reason my opinion differs from other. Moreover I only watched first 27 ep of the TV currently it's on hold.
yeah that'd explain it, the ova is great as a standalone experience but it really doesnt work as part of the series as a whole when seen out of order, the bad adaptation that adds alot of comedy filler does not help that early arc. If im not mistaken the anime only faithfully adapts the middle arc where the trust and betrayal arc is told right after and I remember the pacing being pretty padded out there anyway.

I think its always important to remmember being a prequel doesnt mean its actually an entry point, if anything they usually carry as much baggage if not more than sequels and potentially spoil a ton of mystery or things meant to be left vague in the main product.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 24, 2022 7:17 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Looking forward it and hopefully it will be a full adaptation this time.
Sep 24, 2022 7:42 AM

Feb 2022
So excited for this. Love how close it looks to the originals.
Sep 24, 2022 11:03 AM

Feb 2020
Hope it has enough episode count and is a full adaptation.
Aside from Kyoto arc, i don't like the previous anime adaptation (even those ovas). So i hope it is made faithful to manga (don't mind rushing Tokyo arc a bit). But what worries me is for its to be complete and faithful adaption it requires like around 80 episode (or atleast 3 season).

Also pv looks good, but LIDENFILMS makes me fear it won't have good enough animation
AdampkSep 24, 2022 11:19 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Sep 24, 2022 11:24 AM

Jul 2019
I've never watched this anime because it's not from my time, but now that a remake is coming out, I'm going to watch it for sure.
Apaixonado por jogos e animes.
Sep 24, 2022 5:09 PM
Jan 2015
screw the author for what he did (if you know you know)
Sep 24, 2022 5:13 PM
Feb 2017
NOT THE RETURN OF THE PEDOBEAR'S MAGNUM OPUS
Sep 24, 2022 6:07 PM

Mar 2014
It does look good but why a reboot ?
Sep 24, 2022 10:20 PM

Jan 2017
RedChrome said:
It does look good but why a reboot ?

The last Arc of the original Manga never was adapted , the Sequel Manga is doing good , the recent Live-Action movies were extremely well received , and the old Anime is from 20+ years ago.
So it makes sense that it would be a complete Reboot , even if we were scared they'll choose to only animate the Sequel Manga.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Sep 25, 2022 4:52 AM

May 2020
Don't know why but this pick my interest, I like the idea of bringing back an old Battle Shounen so new people can be aware of. I wanted to see the old adaptation, but I guess this would do. The animation looks fine actually and I hope the all series sticks with it or improve it somehow, tho I have my doubts

MAL is the perfect place to shit talk about people's opinions.
Sep 25, 2022 7:55 AM
Oct 2020
2 main casts from Orient will play again as love interests (imagine Yuuma Uchida also join in this anime, so we can watch love triangle between them)
Sep 25, 2022 9:04 PM

Aug 2010
The animation looks really good so far.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

70 by dodoxdo97 »»
39 minutes ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 10 hours ago

3 by Maumuu »»
3 hours ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
7 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.