Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 13, 2022 4:37 PM
Nov 2021
So I've been a avid anime watcher for years now but I only decided to watch seasonals in 2019. I had no problem felt fine picked up about 3 shows that seemed interesting. Over time I picked up more seasonals. Around late 2021 watching seasonals started to make me feel burn out and it made watching anime a job. I don't like dropping anime so I try to finish every anime I watch. By this season I'm completely and utterly burnt out. I hate seasonals now. Not because the shows are bad. This season is actually incredible. But because of how much of an absolute chore it is to feel like ok I have to watch the new episode because I don't wanna get left behind and catch up. It's giving me serious insane burn out and is making something I love to do as a hobby feel like I'm doing an office job. I can't wait till this season is over and I could go back to what I used to do. Which was pick up random shows and watch them whenever I feel like it. I'm done with seasonals after this season. Does anyone else feel like this and hates having to constantly keep up with multiple shows every week?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 13, 2022 4:43 PM

Aug 2020
...why not just stop now???
You've already reached the stage of self-reflection to be aware how much this is harming your enjoyment. If you intend to stop after this season, it means you will be "behind" on shows for all future seasonals, until you binge-watch something in its entirety later on. If you are fine with that, why not just stop the grind NOW instead of in 2 months? There's no harm in finishing the shows you are currently watching in one go once they finished airing.

If you know this is ruining your enjoyment, why do you continue that way?
May 13, 2022 4:46 PM

Jul 2021
But like... just watch whatever you feel like, whenever the season is over.
Can't be pressured to keep up, if you didn't care about it to begin with.
May 13, 2022 4:50 PM
Nov 2021
JaniSIr said:
But like... just watch whatever you feel like, whenever the season is over.
Can't be pressured to keep up, if you didn't care about it to begin with.

Yeah I know that's what I'm saying though after this season I'm done with seasonals
May 13, 2022 4:51 PM
Nov 2021
SleepySera said:
You've already reached the stage of self-reflection to be aware how much this is harming your enjoyment. If you intend to stop after this season, it means you will be "behind" on shows for all future seasonals, until you binge-watch something in its entirety later on. If you are fine with that, why not just stop the grind NOW instead of in 2 months? There's no harm in finishing the shows you are currently watching in one go once they finished airing.

I kinda just wanna finish these shows out and be done with this season. And after I'm done with this season I'm going to just watch what I want.
May 13, 2022 4:52 PM
Nov 2021
SleepySera said:

You know what... Uh yeah you might be right. Imma put a couple shows on hold and only keep up with summer time rendering and komi and spy family. Since those are really the only shows I really do enjoy watching and look forward to every week. Not to say the others are bad but I'm not like man can't wait to watch it.
May 13, 2022 5:55 PM

Aug 2020
Kasutoro-Kun said:

You know what... Uh yeah you might be right. Imma put a couple shows on hold and only keep up with summer time rendering and komi and spy family. Since those are really the only shows I really do enjoy watching and look forward to every week. Not to say the others are bad but I'm not like man can't wait to watch it.

Sounds like a plan :)
The other shows aren't gone after all, you can watch them when they are finished and you are in the mood for it!
May 13, 2022 6:12 PM

Jan 2020
I used to do near 10+ seasonal anime every season. But, it was a lot of eh stuff. I got tired of watching stuff just to watch stuff. So I've started only picking up a couple things based on what sounds good, sometimes that's nothing for that particular season. The exception being if something is getting mentioned a lot I will at least look into it. There have been plenty of times I added something to my watchlist and let it finish releasing and then binging on my own time, rather than following week-to-week.

Like, right now, I'm only watching 2 seasonal, and the rest of my free time is committed to watching other anime on my lists. It might not hurt to take a break from seasonal stuff, or just pulling back on it significantly to focus on stuff that you actually are interested in. I've even taken extended periods off from anime completely before. Sometimes you just get burned out and need to do other stuff. Anime isn't going anywhere, so there's no need to run yourself ragged if you aren't enjoying it.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

May 13, 2022 6:16 PM

Aug 2018
wait for the season to end, and then binge watch
May 13, 2022 6:17 PM

Oct 2013
I mean, you could always just stop trying to keep up with things as they air...I dropped having a consistent anime watching schedule entirely, and that helped drastically with avoiding burnout. Yes, it takes me forever to finish things, and I cant keep up with current series anymore, but that seems like a good tradeoff to me.
May 13, 2022 6:22 PM

Feb 2021
I would suggest you to not to waste time on seasonals. Better pick a finished anime which is atleast 24 episodes. There are tons of anime which you can watch.

I don't watch seasonals because I feel like I'm doing a job instead of enjoying anime.
May 13, 2022 6:34 PM
Jul 2017
I got done with seasonals after i got tired of watching 10 seasonals in the fall 2021 season lol, after that it is max 1 seasonal per season for me
May 13, 2022 6:42 PM

Apr 2008
I watch a lot of seasonals at a time sometimes 20+ but I don't watch one episode as it airs, I wait until multiple episodes are released and then I watch it and do the same thing over again or even wait until it's finished airing.
As it was starting too feel like a chore to me as well. I drop series I am not enjoying too because at first I was trying to complete everything I started and I was just not enjoying it.
May 13, 2022 6:48 PM

Apr 2020
I'm at this point as well. Watching 15-20 seasonals back in Fall 2020 - Winter 2021 was probably the best time that I have as an anime fan, but ever since then it has never been the same.

Watching 2-3 seasonals that are meaningful is good and all, but the problem is that even I can't watch non-seasonal anime in my own volition and enjoyment since I caught up to new interests. I don't know maybe my case is much more frustrating and maybe depressing than yours.
May 13, 2022 6:52 PM

May 2021
Seasonals won't go away, and you will be able to watch them whenever you want. If watching several shows every week is affecting your enjoyment, it's not necessary to keep doing it.
DachitosoruMay 13, 2022 6:55 PM

May 13, 2022 7:09 PM

Oct 2018
Your life will change when you realise that it's okay to just drop an anime.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
May 13, 2022 7:39 PM

Jul 2021
I get it: you biten more than you could chew. You're worn out because of the sheer amount of good shows this season has to offer and the level of effort it takes to keep track of so many stories at the same time.
In your case it's even worse because you decided to stick to the zero drop policy instead of keeping up with the seasonals, so you didn't earn any leeway for both the future and the present.
May 13, 2022 7:41 PM

Sep 2018
I like watching seasonals because it lets me find some hidden gems I wouldn't have watched otherwise. I also usually drop 40% of the ones I start watching.

Even if you stop watching seasonals, things won't change that much: the risk of ending up stuck with non-seasonal anime you hate is still there, despite being a bit lower.
May 13, 2022 7:49 PM

Feb 2020
good luck with the endeavor👍, whatever that is...
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

May 13, 2022 7:58 PM

Aug 2016
"I don't like dropping anime"

stopped reading there.
:v
May 13, 2022 8:16 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
SleepySera said:

I wanna watch everything I like.. old and new sessional doesn't matter to me... I wanna watch them all, and i wanna watch them as quickly as i can and I don't care how because I don't know how long in the future these free sites will be still up..

May 13, 2022 8:24 PM

Jul 2017
It's easy to get into the seasonal run...and hard to put it down when you have it altogether.

I'm probably the minority that will mention that seasonals are a viable hobby due to it being like in current times, though you will defo do better to avoid it like a plague if it brings you all the way to burnout.

There are lots of pros when it comes to binge-watching, literally the only con is that you don't get to enjoy it the same way when it is currently airing. Seasonals will never run away because it's business.

Take this advice from someone who's been on the seasonal grind since 2018.
May 13, 2022 8:28 PM

Feb 2021
Honestly I used to think the same thing on previous seasons, but this one I'm enjoying pretty much every show I'm watching, even though I don't think they're all good.
May 13, 2022 9:14 PM
Nov 2021
MichaelJackson said:

stopped reading there.
MichaelJackson said:

stopped reading there.

Why? I didn't say anything wrong? I'm confused
May 13, 2022 9:31 PM

May 2015
The problem is that you are watching too many seasonals. Every time I started feeling something similar to your struggle I dropped a few seasonals that I liked the less until I streamlined the amount of anme I was watching down to an easily consumable amount. My sweet spot is around 3-4 seasonal anime per season + a few old ones that I watch at my own pace. To put it simply, try to cherrypick from every season, don't try to watch "everything"!
IshitatesoMay 13, 2022 9:35 PM
May 13, 2022 9:55 PM

May 2018
Kasutoro-Kun said:
So I've been a avid anime watcher for years now but I only decided to watch seasonals in 2019. I had no problem felt fine picked up about 3 shows that seemed interesting. Over time I picked up more seasonals. Around late 2021 watching seasonals started to make me feel burn out and it made watching anime a job. I don't like dropping anime so I try to finish every anime I watch. By this season I'm completely and utterly burnt out. I hate seasonals now. Not because the shows are bad. This season is actually incredible. But because of how much of an absolute chore it is to feel like ok I have to watch the new episode because I don't wanna get left behind and catch up. It's giving me serious insane burn out and is making something I love to do as a hobby feel like I'm doing an office job. I can't wait till this season is over and I could go back to what I used to do. Which was pick up random shows and watch them whenever I feel like it. I'm done with seasonals after this season. Does anyone else feel like this and hates having to constantly keep up with multiple shows every week?

Then just stop. This is a recurring problem with so many people regarding anime. They start uncontrollably watching dozens and dozens of seasonals like their life depends on them. They get burnout, they feel oversaturated and hence, they start hating and criticizing every show there is. Stop, give it some rest, take your time and watch one anime at a time, you'll appreaciate them alot more.
"No one hates anime more than the anime community, which is composed of some of the most spoiled, immature, pessimist and ungrateful people on Earth."
-Anonymous anime watcher
May 13, 2022 10:24 PM

Sep 2020
I've never felt the inclination to watch seasonals. Seems stressful and the time investment isn't worth it if a show turns out to be bad.
May 13, 2022 10:26 PM

Jul 2021
I don't understand why people bother with seasonals n the first place, most suck anyway.

May 13, 2022 10:26 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Kasutoro-Kun said:
just do what I've been doing lately, be a true man of culture by watching Yu-Gi-Oh! instead of seasonals
May 13, 2022 10:32 PM
Nov 2021
Fario-P said:
Kasutoro-Kun said:
just do what I've been doing lately, be a true man of culture by watching Yu-Gi-Oh! instead of seasonals

Lol I've seen yu gi oh already and the one after that with the kid with the brown hair I actually liked him better. Me and a friend was talking about yu gi oh recently and we were laughing because we were basically saying how yugi basically cheats bc he's not the one actually playing it's a legendary duelist that takes over his body and plays for him whenever he needs him
May 13, 2022 10:35 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Kasutoro-Kun said:
Fario-P said:

Lol I've seen yu gi oh already and the one after that with the kid with the brown hair I actually liked him better. Me and a friend was talking about yu gi oh recently and we were laughing because we were basically saying how yugi basically cheats bc he's not the one actually playing it's a legendary duelist that takes over his body and plays for him whenever he needs him
Maybe you should start reading manga instead of watching seasonals, then. The original Yu-Gi-Oh! manga is such a zetta good read.

And yeah, I suppose that's true, but it's more like the other Yugi just forces himself to come out for these games anyway, especially in S0 lolol
May 13, 2022 11:10 PM

Oct 2018
Well, that's just your fault. Shouldn't have watched a lot of seasonals and instead should have focused on the single best of the season.
May 13, 2022 11:34 PM

Jun 2019
I had a similar experience with seasonal anime. I also started watching seasonal shows in 2019 and was watching up to 25 shows per season in 2020 (lockdown helped). Now I'm only picking up a max of 10 shows and I try to chose them more carefully. For example Shikimori was hyped and looked like it might be another Nagatoro/Uzaki/Komi with a great leading girl, but it's been bland and boring so far. Now I have more time to watch older/completed shows from my ptw list, like Dirty Pair, which I'm currently watching and is a fun watch.

It can be hard choosing which shows to pick up, for example who would've thought Ya Boy Kon Ming would be the sleeper hit.

Healer Girl is easily my top pick from this season and I wouldn't have guessed that before the season began.
23feanorMay 13, 2022 11:38 PM
May 13, 2022 11:54 PM

Jan 2018
if you are young you might feel like time is cheap but trust the working generation they will emphasize how really important is time for us. drop it if you don't like it, and watch in one go instead of waiting for weekly new episodes.

just like a healthy relationship, you need to allocate time and space for other things in life. if you quit now you will enjoy anime much better in near future if it's still your hobby. no one's gonna put out anime quizzes and win big money ya know.
May 14, 2022 4:38 PM
Jul 2018
why ... why does it bother you that much to drop something? why do you feel obligated to watch everything? this sounds like a completely self-inflicted problem and it's your own issue of not being able to control yourself and/or allow yourself to just enjoy things.

i watch "seasonal" shows because modern anime gets better and better (fight me, i can't watch anything released prior to 1999 because it looks goofy af), but i only pick up the stuff that seems up my alley (all-female cast/comedy/romance-less adventure and a tolerable art style/direction). i also have a life to live so sometimes i'll go a couple weeks without catching up. honestly? perfect, i can hunker down with some shows i've been anticipating without wasting my time on only one episode to leave on an arbitrary cliff-hanger that i would've forget about by next week. unless you're some professional reviewer and watching anime is your job or something, just ... why would you get involved to the point that something made for entertainment gets to be a chore?

are you being paid to do this? no? great. relax.
May 14, 2022 4:44 PM

Mar 2022
Just be pickier about what you watch. I know it sounds stupid and it is, but what can you do? The more there is to watch, the more you have to filter somehow. My recommendation is to pick the seasonals you enjoy talking about.
May 14, 2022 10:14 PM
Nov 2021
all_marbles_lost said:
why ... why does it bother you that much to drop something? why do you feel obligated to watch everything? this sounds like a completely self-inflicted problem and it's your own issue of not being able to control yourself and/or allow yourself to just enjoy things.

i watch "seasonal" shows because modern anime gets better and better (fight me, i can't watch anything released prior to 1999 because it looks goofy af), but i only pick up the stuff that seems up my alley (all-female cast/comedy/romance-less adventure and a tolerable art style/direction). i also have a life to live so sometimes i'll go a couple weeks without catching up. honestly? perfect, i can hunker down with some shows i've been anticipating without wasting my time on only one episode to leave on an arbitrary cliff-hanger that i would've forget about by next week. unless you're some professional reviewer and watching anime is your job or something, just ... why would you get involved to the point that something made for entertainment gets to be a chore?

are you being paid to do this? no? great. relax.

I don't drop anime bc I have a high power level 😎
May 14, 2022 10:24 PM

Oct 2013
Ah sometimes I get you. But at the same time, you'll just have to drop.

If a show is not good and you're not enjoying it, whether it's a seasonal or not - it should go to the dropped list. Watching anime should be fun after all
May 14, 2022 10:28 PM

Feb 2021
Well, I think you should just drop those shows. Continuing would only lead to anime burnout and probably make you dislike them further. If you're not a completionist there's no reason to keep going tbh. Or you can just put them on hold for now and then binge watch all the eps later on when you feel like it.

May 14, 2022 11:35 PM

May 2021
bro think if he drops an anime he'll get murdered 💀💀💀💀
May 15, 2022 1:36 PM
Nov 2021
satoneh said:
bro think if he drops an anime he'll get murdered 💀💀💀💀

Eren Jaeger is constantly in my ear controlling me and telling me not to drop shit I'm scared
May 16, 2022 1:36 AM

Feb 2019
Kasutoro-Kun said:

Unless you're being Clockwork-Oranged into watching everything, this is really not a problem you need to think about for more than a second. X action is a chore to do. X action is not mandatory. Conclusion = do not do X action.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
May 16, 2022 3:17 AM

Oct 2008
When did watching anime turn in to work:

Watch what is popular, give everything that looks good to you it's obligatory 3 or however many episodes it needs to hook you in.
Join in conversation with people watching the same anime episode that came out today. Or binge the anime you want, without skipping any of the ones you initially thought you'd like when they started airing. Take at most two day breaks, if you take more know that you will be forsaken.

Mommy this isn't fun anymore. I want off Mr. seasonal anime's wild ride.
May 16, 2022 11:29 AM

Dec 2020
yeah I kinda started out the same , but in just one year, the number of seasonals I watched dropped from 6-7 to 1-2. I think most of the seasonls aren't really good anyway.

May 16, 2022 11:41 AM

Feb 2021
Your first mistake was forcing yourself to watch a show you don’t like, maybe take* this season as a test and start dropping the shows you’re not interested in
bam
May 16, 2022 11:59 AM
Jun 2021
Kasutoro-Kun said:

For goods sake, do you REALLY have to follow EVERYTHING in a season? Drop the stuff you don't like and be done with it.
Hot Blood saves lives.
May 16, 2022 12:04 PM
Nov 2021
TheMechaManiac said:
Kasutoro-Kun said:

For goods sake, do you REALLY have to follow EVERYTHING in a season? Drop the stuff you don't like and be done with it.

Lol I don't follow every single thing but I do follow too much
May 16, 2022 12:18 PM

Jan 2013
I feel like that a tiny bit, I'm watching too many seasonals, but I can put them on hold at any time, so I don't have any anxiety over it.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 16, 2022 12:18 PM

May 2014
This is just the start you'll eventually hate thinking about anime in general because you're forcing yourself to watch it , what you're feeling is a natural thing called FOMO ( Fear of missing out) its just an obnoxious OCD most of us had at some point

The only way to get that FOMO out of your system is to just not watch anime and force youself to stop thinking about it and you'll eventually feel free to do what you want , like you can put all the anime you want to watch on hold till the season ends and then you binge them all in on go and so on for the next seasons .
May 16, 2022 12:39 PM
Jun 2021
Kasutoro-Kun said:
TheMechaManiac said:

Lol I don't follow every single thing but I do follow too much

I really don't get guys who feel the need to keep up to date with seasonal stuff. Really, of all the stuff to air in a season/course you're rarely bound to like more than 3-4 titles. More people, especially here, need to try the "favorite genre/theme" method. Watch stuff in your comfort zone and set aside the shows that sound interesting for later. I for example do only mecha as it airs and I'm very lucky that only Kyoukai Senki is currently airing.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

105 by mo_lave »»
4 minutes ago

» Your top 5 anime couples

Anjumhossain - Dec 12, 2022

40 by WatchTillTandava »»
5 minutes ago

» Seeking Recommendations from My "Plan to Watch" List

vansonbee - 48 minutes ago

4 by ryokoblue »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - Yesterday

43 by MichaelJackson »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » How important is the art style for you

nishant0 - Apr 11

41 by SnipeStrike »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.