Forum Settings
Forums

Seinen Manga 'Blue Giant' Gets Anime Movie in 2022

New
Oct 20, 2021 5:24 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013

Shogakukan announced an anime movie adaptation of Shinichi Ishizuka's seinen manga Blue Giant on Thursday. The movie will open in theaters in Japan in 2022. Ishizuka drew an illustration to commemorate the announcement (pictured above).

Synopsis
"I will definitely become the world's best Jazz player!"

Blue Giant follows Dai Miyamoto, who is a member of the basketball club. While attending junior high school one day, a friend takes him to a live jazz performance, which inspires him deeply. Thereafter, he begins practicing the tenor saxophone by himself, without the ability to read sheet music.

Rain or shine, day or night, Dai continues to practice. During his first performance, he is criticized by the audience, however, Dai passionately blows away at his saxophone. A tale of reaching his goal recklessly and sincerely begins.

The jazz-themed manga ran in the semimonthly Big Comic magazine between May 2013 and August 2016 and was compiled into ten volumes. The Blue Giant Supreme sequel manga began in the same magazine the following month and ended with 11 volumes last April.

Ishizuka launched the third manga in the series, Blue Giant Explorer, last May. Shogakukan published the third volume on June 30, with the fourth volume scheduled for release on October 29. The manga series has a cumulative 7.7 million copies in print.

Seven Seas Entertainment licensed the first manga in English last February and publishes it in 2-in-1 omnibus volumes. The third omnibus volume shipped on July 27.

Blue Giant won the 62nd Shogakukan Manga Award in the general category, the Grand Prize at the 20th Japan Media Arts Festival Award, and ranked fifth and third in the 8th and 9th Manga Taisho awards, respectively.

Official site: https://bluegiant-movie.jp/
Manga special site: https://bluegiant.jp/first/
Manga official Twitter: @bluegiant_bc

Source: Comic Natalie

Blue Giant on MAL
VindstotOct 21, 2021 11:01 PM

Oct 20, 2021 5:28 PM

Jul 2017
I didn't even know this series, but it's interesting i will add this or try the manga i guess.
big hope for this series
im not too good to speak english

.. -- / -. --- - / - --- --- / --. --- --- -.. / - --- / ... .--. . .- -.- / . -. --. .-.. .. ... ....

Oct 20, 2021 5:34 PM

Apr 2012
I understand that in this case, most likely there is a reference to jazz, but lately I have increasingly noticed that the Japanese are very fond of adding blue to things that are in some way connected with their teenage experience. Blue Period, Liz and Bluebird, Aoi no Flag, Aoi Hana, Ao Haru Ride, etc. Well, you get the idea, lol.
Oct 20, 2021 5:36 PM
Jul 2017
I’m starting to lose track with all these series that have “Blue” in the name. Blue period, Blue Lock, Blue Box, now this lol.
Oct 20, 2021 5:45 PM

Sep 2013
Another "blue" anime, huh? Japanese really love the color, I guess.

The show has pretty interesting premise so I'll check it though.
Oct 20, 2021 5:58 PM
Feb 2021
Holy fucking shit no fucking way. This is my favorite manga I never thought I’d see the day.
Oct 20, 2021 6:01 PM
May 2018
RobertBobert said:
I understand that in this case, most likely there is a reference to jazz, but lately I have increasingly noticed that the Japanese are very fond of adding blue to things that are in some way connected with their teenage experience. Blue Period, Liz and Bluebird, Aoi no Flag, Aoi Hana, Ao Haru Ride, etc. Well, you get the idea, lol.

Gear707 said:

'Blue' in Japan has connotations meaning 'youth'.

Kinda like saying 'still green' in English. Could be why many manga that features 'coming-of age' themes use 'Blue' in their titles.
Oct 20, 2021 6:04 PM

Apr 2012
em_doubleyou said:
RobertBobert said:

Gear707 said:

Kinda like saying 'still green' in English. Could be why many manga that features 'coming-of age' themes use 'Blue' in their titles.

So, so many yuri and agnsty school romance is blue in design because in Japan blue is a meme associated with youthful experiences? I don't know about English, but in Russian teenagers or inexperienced young people are often compared to green fruit, implying that they still have to gain experience to get maturning.
Oct 20, 2021 6:27 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
An actual anime about jazz and not just in its soundtrack? Interesting...
Oct 20, 2021 6:31 PM
Dec 2017
I thought it was Doshin The Giant for a minute but damn, cowboy bebop fans really going to love this.

Oct 20, 2021 7:01 PM

Jul 2019
I had this in my ptw but now I have more reason to read the manga sooner than later.
Oct 20, 2021 7:09 PM

Nov 2018
ohhh i've been waiting for adaption!
Oct 20, 2021 7:10 PM
Jul 2018
Very surreal to see the manga's getting adaptation and even in movie format which honestly will be fitting as far I just recently red. Its kinda similar to Beck but has lighter atmosphere and focuses on good ol' jazz. Really hoping this one get produced by a competent studio than other "blue" got.
Oct 20, 2021 7:31 PM

Mar 2020
There's always room for more jazz.
Oct 20, 2021 7:42 PM

Oct 2015
that's pretty cool, been meaning to buy a physical copy of the manga
Oct 20, 2021 8:03 PM

Nov 2019
LETS FUCKIGN GOOOOOOOOOOOO
Oct 20, 2021 8:29 PM
May 2018
RobertBobert said:

So, so many yuri and agnsty school romance is blue in design because in Japan blue is a meme associated with youthful experiences? I don't know about English, but in Russian teenagers or inexperienced young people are often compared to green fruit, implying that they still have to gain experience to get maturning.

Something like that, I guess. Youth, adolescence, immaturity, that kinda stuff.

Though the Japan-blue-youth thing is only something I read somewhere. Take it with a grain of salt.
Oct 20, 2021 8:37 PM
Jun 2020
that's awesome
and i was about to read the manga lol
Nissan 350Z
Oct 20, 2021 8:42 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Wish this was getting a TV anime instead of a film but I'll watch it still....Premise sounds very promising
Oct 20, 2021 8:52 PM

Nov 2019
em_doubleyou said:
RobertBobert said:

Though the Japan-blue-youth thing is only something I read somewhere. Take it with a grain of salt.
I thought the title was a reference to trane's albums Blue Train and Giant Steps, tho i don't really know much about jazz
Oct 20, 2021 9:05 PM

Oct 2017
This is great news.
Oct 20, 2021 9:07 PM
May 2018
sodobean said:
em_doubleyou said:

I thought the title was a reference to trane's albums Blue Train and Giant Steps, tho i don't really know much about jazz

Multiple meanings / interpretations make them even better. Like Blue Period (obviously Picasso) as well.
Oct 20, 2021 10:01 PM

Sep 2020
Look great♡(> ਊ <)♡

I wonder which studio will handle this project !!! There is a strong possibility this going to be MAPPA, They have previously worked on Kids on the slop which is very similar to this one.
Oct 20, 2021 10:14 PM
Feb 2021
em_doubleyou said:
RobertBobert said:

Gear707 said:

Blue Giant is a term teachers or professors use (usually in music) to describe one of their students as a prodigy that is destined for greatness, but still has much to learn. “I think _____ on sax could be a Blue Giant”
Oct 20, 2021 10:39 PM
Mar 2021
Sakamichi no Apollon part 2 baby lets goooooo
Oct 20, 2021 10:57 PM

Oct 2015
Ah, the Charlie "Bird" Parker anime adaptation.

Also, mandatory Ya like Jazz entry

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Oct 21, 2021 12:17 AM

Mar 2015
WHY IT WAS ONLY A MOVIE? got piano no mori flashback here. it deserve full fledged tv series adaptation.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 21, 2021 2:29 AM

Feb 2019
Depends on how the actual music turns out, I'll wait for a PV.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Oct 21, 2021 5:26 AM
Jul 2009
RobertBobert said:

The word "青春" (Seishun), meaning Youth, is written with the Kanji for "青" (Ao) meaning Blue and "春" (Haru) meaning Spring. The blue refers to that. Thats why, the Japanese also sometimes read it as "Aoharu" (blue spring). Thats the reason for the title of Ao Haru Ride. Basically, the Japanese considers blue as the color that represent or is closely associated with youth
Oct 21, 2021 5:35 AM

Apr 2012
Koshi_Inaba said:
RobertBobert said:

The word "青春" (Seishun), meaning Youth, is written with the Kanji for "青" (Ao) meaning Blue and "春" (Haru) meaning Spring. The blue refers to that. Thats why, the Japanese also sometimes read it as "Aoharu" (blue spring). Thats the reason for the title of Ao Haru Ride. Basically, the Japanese considers blue as the color that represent or is closely associated with youth

In my culture, blue is considered one of the strongest symbols of male homosexuality (there are several reasons for this, but in modern Russian blue is often used to mean gay), so it's hard for me to get used to this symbolism, lol. Although it was quite interesting to learn about the roots of what seemed intriguing to me for many years.
Oct 21, 2021 5:36 AM
Oct 2016
Tokoya said:
Wish this was getting a TV anime instead of a film but I'll watch it still....Premise sounds very promising

they decided between a live action film, a tv anime, and an anime movie and choose that third option
Oct 21, 2021 5:37 AM
Oct 2016
RobertBobert said:
Koshi_Inaba said:

In my culture, blue is considered one of the strongest symbols of male homosexuality (there are several reasons for this, but in modern Russian blue is often used to mean gay), so it's hard for me to get used to this symbolism, lol. Although it was quite interesting to learn about the roots of what seemed intriguing to me for many years.

blue meaning gay makes no sense
Oct 21, 2021 5:45 AM

Apr 2012
Dukino said:
RobertBobert said:

blue meaning gay makes no sense

It's much easier. In the Russian pop scene, there is a very campy gay singer, Boris Moiseev, who became incredibly famous in the 90s for his biggest hit, Blue Moon. Which was not a very ambiguous song about homosexual falling in love. Since then, the word has gained an extremely strong homosexual vibes, which has only increased over the years. And given that there are very few non-offensive words for LGBTQ in Russian, it quickly became quite popular.

Outside of that, the word blue often meant "sadness" in Russian, for example, in the past there was an extremely emo story about "blue puppy". Of course, over time, the cartoon based on this story turned into a meme and people joked that the puppy was in sadness because of homophobia.

Oct 22, 2021 10:43 AM

Feb 2020
The premise sounds interesting
I really wonder how will they are gone fit a 10 volume manga into a movie. Tv series would have been better
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Oct 24, 2021 7:06 PM

Jul 2016
Its a movie, gonna have low expectations because. Its gonna be rushed on paper like its 10volumes adapting on a movie

Oct 24, 2021 10:34 PM

Jan 2020
It'll take an eternity to get to the western audiences, but I'll wait.
Judevin said:
There's always room for more jazz.

Manifesting Kanno Yoko.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Oct 25, 2021 2:00 AM

Jul 2021
Oo another music anime, really hype for this one :0
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

More topics from this board

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
3 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
5 hours ago

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

10 by malvarez1 »»
5 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

11 by MantaRaydiated »»
Yesterday, 10:50 AM

» 'Hitoribocchi no Isekai Kouryaku' Unveils Production Staff, Additional Cast, Teaser Promo for Fall 2024

DatRandomDude - Apr 21

4 by Azuchi »»
Yesterday, 4:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.