Forum Settings
Forums

'Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu.' Announces Supporting Cast Pair [Update 9/29]

New
Sep 21, 2021 7:25 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
The official website for the television anime adaptation of Tomohito Oda's Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. (Komi Can't Communicate) manga announced a pair of supporting cast members on Wednesday. The anime is scheduled to premiere on October 7 at 12:00 a.m. on TV Tokyo, followed by TV Osaka and TV Aichi.

Shuuko Komi: Kikuko Inoue (Hataraku Saibou (TV))

Masayoshi Komi: Mitsuaki Hoshino (Haikyuu!!)

Kazuki Kawagoe (Koisuru Asteroid episode director) is helming the anime with chief director Ayumu Watanabe (Koi wa Ameagari no You ni) at animation studio OLM. Deko Akao (Hitomi Mieno) (Arakawa Under the Bridge) is handling the series composition, and Atsuko Nakajima (Sakamoto Desu ga?) is designing the characters. Yukari Hashimoto (3-gatsu no Lion) is composing the music.

Oda began serializing the slice of life comedy in Weekly Shounen Sunday in May 2016, after publishing a one-shot in the same magazine in September 2015. Shogakukan shipped the 22nd volume on August 18. VIZ Media licensed the manga in English in November 2018 and will release the 15th volume on October 12.

Source: Comic Natalie

Update September 29
The official website of Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. (Komi Can't Communicate) revealed on Tuesday three additional cast members.

Cast
Nokoko Inaka: Megumi Han (Omoi, Omoware, Furi, Furare)
Nene Onemine: Ruriko Aoki (The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls)
Kaede Otori: Yurika Moriyama (Puraore! Pride of Orange)

DatRandomDudeSep 28, 2021 4:04 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Sep 21, 2021 8:36 PM

Apr 2012
Why did the producers take so long to do this? Komi has even more hit potential than Kaguya, but it is only now being adapted.
Sep 21, 2021 8:42 PM
Feb 2021
1 more month till the day.
RobertBobert said:
Why did the producers take so long to do this? Komi has even more hit potential than Kaguya, but it is only now being adapted.
Kaguya took 4 years, Komi took 5 years. Not that longer tho.
Sep 21, 2021 8:46 PM

Apr 2012
AbelNhom said:
RobertBobert said:

Well, I barely heard of Kaguya before the adaptation was announced, while the "lol, Komi still hasn't been adapted" meme appeared consistently in discussions of every other manga announcement. The Hype was so huge that even I, a person who only read random 5-6 chapters, believed it was a huge blockbuster.
Sep 21, 2021 9:11 PM

Apr 2012
VanishingKira said:
RobertBobert said:
I haven't read the manga in a while but maybe its nearing its end, like Horimiya for example. I'm pretty certain there have been other similar cases before where an unadapted manga gets an anime right before it get announced it's manga will be ending soon.

Komi, like Horimiya, has been accused of unreasonable length before, so let's see where that leads.
Sep 21, 2021 9:19 PM

Oct 2017
Yes who else better to do Komi Shuko than Inoue Kikuko.
Sep 21, 2021 9:22 PM

Mar 2020
RobertBobert said:
It kinda does, but not really. it works really well in manga format, because there's no end goal per se. It's just a manga with wholesome highschool shenanigans, similar to Horimiya, whereas Kaguya has an actual endgame of how Kaguya and Shirogane will end up together.

So I personally don't think it will actually attract many anime watchers who prefer having some substance or some plot every episode, compared to just having an episodic series with something new happening each episode. This is also why Horimiya skipped so much material just to maintain that romantic plot between Hori and Miyamura.
Sep 21, 2021 9:50 PM

Apr 2012
Judevin said:
RobertBobert said:
It kinda does, but not really. it works really well in manga format, because there's no end goal per se. It's just a manga with wholesome highschool shenanigans, similar to Horimiya, whereas Kaguya has an actual endgame of how Kaguya and Shirogane will end up together.

So I personally don't think it will actually attract many anime watchers who prefer having some substance or some plot every episode, compared to just having an episodic series with something new happening each episode. This is also why Horimiya skipped so much material just to maintain that romantic plot between Hori and Miyamura.

From the chapters I've read, this might be good content for someone who loves school comedy with a bunch of different characters. So, this could be a great co-ed version of the endless all-female SoL. Although much still depends on what direction the studio will take for adaptation. We all remember the controversy over how Feel turned Dagashi Kashi into a romantic sitcom.
Sep 22, 2021 12:44 AM

Oct 2020
RobertBobert said:
AbelNhom said:

Well, I barely heard of Kaguya before the adaptation was announced, while the "lol, Komi still hasn't been adapted" meme appeared consistently in discussions of every other manga announcement. The Hype was so huge that even I, a person who only read random 5-6 chapters, believed it was a huge blockbuster.
It probably has something to do with the magazine. Komi-san is serialized in Weekly Shonen Sunday, it's not exactly the best performing manga magazine compared to Shonen Jump or WSM. Shonen Sunday pre-2016 was on their worst with their falling sales and their favorite anime studios filed for bankruptcy because the series that got animated failed to close the cost of production, let alone profiting off it.

After 2016 the situation got better, but the rest of anime studios still wary of sunday selection of series that wants to be animated. Remember sernyuu girl from WSM? The heroine had similar traits with komi-san, serialized months after komi-san's serialization in 2016, and somehow got anime first. They trusted WSM's choice more than sunday's even though komi manga sales are far better than sernyuu shoujo.

Had komi serialized in different magazine, I'm damn sure komi already got anime back in 2018.

Oh and to answer someone's response in your related question, Komi is nowhere near its completion. Its romance aspect has always been secondary subplot to its SoL shenanigans, and Komi is still nowhere near to complete her 100 friends list, the goal of the manga since the beginning.

Judevin said:
RobertBobert said:

If anything, I found Komi has clearer goal than kaguya lol. Since the start of the series the original goal has always been for Komi to get her 100 friends as well as overcoming her disorder. That should help explain why the manga took the approach of doraemon-like one new quirk character every chapter, it's just later on in the 2nd year we got more structured approach by having sub-arcs in the manga for author to explore deeper dynamic within Komi social relationship, so yeah mostly still your usual SoL shenanigans but with the definitive end goal. Kaguya in the other hand kinda lost its goal later on after
after multiple arcs focusing on secondary characters.
GardefusilierSep 22, 2021 12:54 AM
Sep 22, 2021 12:59 AM

Dec 2020
Okay, Kikuko Inoue is one of my personal favorite seiyuus and judging by the research that I done on Komi's mom on some sites, she's basically said that she's eternally 17 years old which is also Kikuko Inoue's trademark. I'M IN ON WATCHING THIS ANIME!
Sep 22, 2021 1:02 AM

Jun 2021
This is going to be interesting, and there are chances it could be also dubbed in italian (in current time, this is almost not happening any more because of the explosion of streaming services and western live action and cartoon shows that i don't care about but take almost all of our voice actors time, it would be refreshing for a change to watch a new anime in my language)
Sep 22, 2021 1:03 AM

Mar 2020
Gardefusilier said:
If anything, I found Komi has clearer goal than kaguya lol. Since the start of the series the original goal has always been for Komi to get her 100 friends as well as overcoming her disorder. That should help explain why the manga took the approach of doraemon-like one new quirk character every chapter, it's just later on in the 2nd year we got more structured approach by having sub-arcs in the manga for author to explore deeper dynamic within Komi social relationship, so yeah mostly still your usual SoL shenanigans but with the definitive end goal. Kaguya in the other hand kinda lost its goal later on after
We've hardly scratched the surface of that objective in 321 chapters though, the endgoal isn't even important for the series, that's the point I'm trying to make. Like we have hardly tried to get Komi-san to get over her social anxiety, compared to say Hitoribocchi which ended earlier this year which DID have the objective of getting over anxiety and making friends with everyone and it stayed right on that target the entire time where she making a new friend each arc. In 321 chapters, all we've had in Komi-san is just a lot of wholesome stuff, compared to Kaguya which has stayed on course with Shirogane and Kaguya, sure we've had arcs about Ishigami and the other main characters (the student council aren't side characters), but they've been on course for the most part and they've had a decent narrative. Komi-san has just been about episodic wholesome highschool stuff. I guess that is a subjective conclusion though but I don't remember the "Komi wants to get over her anxiety or make 100 friends" being brought up since like the first volume of the manga.

So yeah, like Horimiya, OLM can either make Komi-san a 1 season anime where they focus on specifically the romance part, OR, they can go with Kaguya route and A1, and create multiple seasons documenting the entire wholesome experience from the manga.
Sep 22, 2021 1:28 AM

May 2020
Will be fun to see Mamakomi in anime
Sep 22, 2021 1:32 AM

Oct 2020
Judevin said:
Gardefusilier said:
We've hardly scratched the surface of that objective in 321 chapters though, the endgoal isn't even important for the series, that's the point I'm trying to make. Like we have hardly tried to get Komi-san to get over her social anxiety, compared to say Hitoribocchi which ended earlier this year which DID have the objective of getting over anxiety and making friends with everyone and it stayed right on that target the entire time where she making a new friend each arc. In 321 chapters, all we've had in Komi-san is just a lot of wholesome stuff, compared to Kaguya which has stayed on course with Shirogane and Kaguya, sure we've had arcs about Ishigami and the other main characters (the student council aren't side characters), but they've been on course for the most part and they've had a decent narrative. Komi-san has just been about episodic wholesome highschool stuff. I guess that is a subjective conclusion though but I don't remember the "Komi wants to get over her anxiety or make 100 friends" being brought up since like the first volume of the manga.

So yeah, like Horimiya, OLM can either make Komi-san a 1 season anime where they focus on specifically the romance part, OR, they can go with Kaguya route and A1, and create multiple seasons documenting the entire wholesome experience from the manga.

You kinda undersell Komi’s progression here. Komi DID overcome her hardship. She rarely talked before she met Tadano in High school, and considering her selective mutism, she has a lot more issues to tackle instead of simply having a ‘social anxiety’ and shy girl trope like bocchi is. And the progression throughout the years did show that, in the 1st year she was brought along with Najimi’s shenanigans and introduced to a lot of social interactions and the quirky characters where everything from her POV is literally new to her, hell even bringing a friend over to your house is a whole new world. And in the 2nd year it steadily shifted to Komi taking a more active approach in her relationship dynamics, namely by going around actively helping her friends in her own unique way like Isagi, Rei, and most especially Manbagi which is far more rewarding to read rather than simply 'she can talk now'. Calling it just ‘a lot of wholesome stuff’ is just simply undermining this aspect, the wholesome stuff is a plus, but Komi did progress steadily to reach 100 friends and with complexity of relationships she had on top of that, so the whole 100 friends thing doesn't act as mere quantity objective.

The whole goal is literally in the 1st volume, stated a few times on blackboard scene along when Komi was introduced to Najimi.

The rest of student council are side characters, there are reason why the fandom took a bore on the approach Aka had recently when he decided to finish Ishigami-Osaragi-Iino dynamic because Kaguya and Shirogane are literally sidestepped for multiple weeks to count. Looking back on how it goes the reason why the dynamic worked are because Shirogane-Kaguya are in the centre of it, this is why Hayasaka arc worked because Kaguya took a great deal of spotlight in it, or Ishigami-Tsubame-former Ishigami love arc because Shirogane is in there pushing Ishigami. This recent arc don’t because Osaragi isn’t connected that well to the main characters, and her relationship dynamic with Ishigami & Iino simply isn’t enough to push it as an urgent issues. Look at Amazon Jp review for the latest volume, there are people calling Aka out for having 2 serialized series, blaming OnK for the reason Kaguya drop in quality. Damn.

And for your last paragraph, I doubt they would make it a season tho considering a great deal of story also came from 2nd year, and there are no 2nd year characters been introduced. Considering this manga is the SoL-gag romcom flagship in Weekly Shonen Sunday magazine I mentioned before there's probably a chance the manga will get another season, if they push it hard that is.
GardefusilierSep 22, 2021 1:42 AM
Sep 22, 2021 2:40 AM

Mar 2020
Gardefusilier said:
You kinda undersell Komi’s progression here. Komi DID overcome her hardship. She rarely talked before she met Tadano in High school, and considering her selective mutism, she has a lot more issues to tackle instead of simply having a ‘social anxiety’ and shy girl trope like bocchi is. And the progression throughout the years did show that, in the 1st year she was brought along with Najimi’s shenanigans and introduced to a lot of social interactions and the quirky characters where everything from her POV is literally new to her, hell even bringing a friend over to your house is a whole new world. And in the 2nd year it steadily shifted to Komi taking a more active approach in her relationship dynamics, namely by going around actively helping her friends in her own unique way like Isagi, Rei, and most especially Manbagi which is far more rewarding to read rather than simply 'she can talk now'. Calling it just ‘a lot of wholesome stuff’ is just simply undermining this aspect, the wholesome stuff is a plus, but Komi did progress steadily to reach 100 friends and with complexity of relationships she had on top of that, so the whole 100 friends thing doesn't act as mere quantity objective.
I get what you're saying but it does not feel like that AT ALL, like sure they want Komi to make friends, but how many chapters are even about Komi? And how many are focussed on pretty much everyone around her and their shenanigans? I would even go so far to say that outside of Komi and Tadano, and Komi and Manbagi interactions, Komi is just treated like a deity and not much more until much later when she makes like 2 more friends (the glasses girl and the sweaty girl) who she can genuinely talk to (or well just nod and shake her head towards). You just simply cannot avoid the conclusion that MOST if not all of the fanbase reads the manga for the "wholesome" shit that goes down, and not about Komi making friends if they even remember that. The manga rarely focusses on that objective. Either way, subjective conclusion, each to their own I guess.

And just so we are clear Komi had just social anxiety, unlike Bocchi who shows a lot of reactions to it by throwing up or passing out, Komi practically freezes, which is a running gag in the manga since she still has the exact same problem and starts shaking. You are overselling her problem here for being anything more than social anxiety which is literally what she has. She has gotten better, but her uhhh "selective mutism" is always there so it's impossible to tell if she has improved. I mean in the more recent chapters, she still only barely manages to whisper things instead of actually saying them and even that is rare. I'm not saying the development is bad in Komi, it's just slow and placed in separate "chapters" than let's say a coherent story that Miyamura got over his problems because he met Hori and yada yada. It is extremely subtle, which isn't bad, but the average anime watcher might find it boring (I hope not because I love Komi manga but I do think so). Episodic anime get shit on all the time by anime-only folk which was the original point that I was trying to make. You need something substantial to keep people glued to the screen for 24 minutes straight like Kaguya's comedy and character drama or Horimiya's drama and romance (Horimiya wasn't even that good of an adaptation but anime watchers treated it as such).

Sep 22, 2021 3:35 AM

Oct 2020
I get what you're saying but it does not feel like that AT ALL, like sure they want Komi to make friends, but how many chapters are even about Komi? And how many are focussed on pretty much everyone around her and their shenanigans? I would even go so far to say that outside of Komi and Tadano, and Komi and Manbagi interactions, Komi is just treated like a deity and not much more until much later when she makes like 2 more friends (the glasses girl and the sweaty girl) who she can genuinely talk to (or well just nod and shake her head towards). You just simply cannot avoid the conclusion that MOST if not all of the fanbase reads the manga for the "wholesome" shit that goes down, and not about Komi making friends if they even remember that. The manga rarely focusses on that objective. Either way, subjective conclusion, each to their own I guess.

And just so we are clear Komi had just social anxiety, unlike Bocchi who shows a lot of reactions to it by throwing up or passing out, Komi practically freezes, which is a running gag in the manga since she still has the exact same problem and starts shaking. You are overselling her problem here for being anything more than social anxiety which is literally what she has. She has gotten better, but her uhhh "selective mutism" is always there so it's impossible to tell if she has improved. I mean in the more recent chapters, she still only barely manages to whisper things instead of actually saying them and even that is rare. I'm not saying the development is bad in Komi, it's just slow and placed in separate "chapters" than let's say a coherent story that Miyamura got over his problems because he met Hori and yada yada. It is extremely subtle, which isn't bad, but the average anime watcher might find it boring (I hope not because I love Komi manga but I do think so). Episodic anime get shit on all the time by anime-only folk which was the original point that I was trying to make. You need something substantial to keep people glued to the screen for 24 minutes straight like Kaguya's comedy and character drama or Horimiya's drama and romance (Horimiya wasn't even that good of an adaptation but anime watchers treated it as such).

And that's why I said Komi already got a lot of significant shift story structure in the 2nd year where I specifically mentioned about the appearances of sub-arc stories that explore Komi's dynamic relationship with other characters, Oda knew he couldn't keep 'one quirk one chapter' forever so he tried to experiment with the sub-arc stories while maintaining character consistency, and he did. Manbagi with the whole love triangle where Komi tried to maintain their distorted relationship as a rival and as a bff, rei-chan arc where she is forced to resolve the conflict with her own way and the beginning of their little competition in getting friends the most. And student election arc where for the first time Komi dealt with someone 'untouchable' like she was back then when Komi was introduced. It's also the arc where Komi observed the development between Ase and Isagi where they are finally being honest to each other, an important point where Komi applied the same values when she confront Manbagi in 2nd year festival arc. There's so much Komi has done in 2nd year in term of quality dynamic relationship, and it shows that she progress while maintaining the wholesome conclusion in each and every one of them.

Without any means of disrespect, the talking points you mentioned in the 2nd paragraph are literally the problem I had with western audience when it come to the disorder Komi had. Komi's problem is not a simple mere shy girl trope like bocchi did where it's just cute girl doing cute things, in the interview back in 2016 Oda did admit that he used the term 'disorder' freely, but he won't change the title and still carries the theme with proper interpretation in mind, and he did staying true to his character. Komi barely interact with anyone before she met Tadano in highschool, that's a whole load of years she spent alone. Do you think realistically in a year or two she can easily overcome it? Oda knew it will be a long journey, and he never once tried to hide the fact that the manga will be a slow-burner about coming-of age story. Try to go to any SNS forum about komi, the whole conversation is on another different level compared to overseas audience where it's just gone 'No progress reeeee'. They literally talked about the whole thing on the severity of selective mutism and its classification, or discussing on the way Komi herself is told in the story whether she tried to overcome the disorder or simply try to live with it. It's just mind-blowing how different it is. Calling me overselling things in Komi is just legitimately false since everything is laid out in the manga and the fandom there. I don't why you can compare bocchi to Komi tho, bocchi literally just another moetrap the way I see it and doesn't have any depth whatsoever, heck she doesn't even have a male friends so there goes the variety within it.

For the last response, I genuinely doubt that. Horimiya is from different magazine and has way vastly different circumstances than Komi. Remember Horimiya dated all the way back since 2013, different mag from Komi, only had few volumes and already finished, it simply doesn't have any marketable values anymore so no wonder they rushed it. Komi in the other hand is different, it's an expected manga simply because the circumstances within the magazine is now different from pre-2016, has a lot of volumes, and still on going. If they want to rush it, the 1st season probably will end up in the 1st year where they can advance to the 2nd year on the next one, if there is 2nd season that is.

Nah disagree about that, both Komi and Kaguya have always been a coming-of-age story. The difference simply being Kaguya are more focused on the relationship between two MCs while Komi's romantic relationship has always been put in the background in favor of her goal. The lack of drama doesn't mean Komi is not a coming-of age story, in fact Komi doesn't have a drama is just plain wrong. Manbagi is the most tense one sure, but 2nd year has always been about Komi being put in a new situation where she was forced to go out from her bubble while being supported by Tadano and Najimi in the arcs I mentioned in the paragraph above. Tho in all fairness I did agree that Komi shouldn't be compared to Kaguya, Komi is comparable to Iruma or Gin No Saji Imo since it has the same structure of coming-of age story with romance as the subplot, while Kaguya with Rent-a-gf or Domekano with romance as the focus in its comin-of-age structure. Different niche for different market, capitalism worked!
GardefusilierSep 22, 2021 3:58 AM
Sep 25, 2021 9:13 PM
Oct 2020
Kikuko Inoue as mama milf again
Sep 26, 2021 9:51 PM

Jul 2016
Komi looking good, this PVs are nice animation and BG art to it. Even the story is comedy focused

Sep 28, 2021 4:06 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
News Update
The official website of Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. (Komi Can't Communicate) revealed on Tuesday three additional cast members.

Cast
Nokoko Inaka: Megumi Han (Omoi, Omoware, Furi, Furare)
Nene Onemine: Ruriko Aoki (The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls)
Kaede Otori: Yurika Moriyama (Puraore! Pride of Orange)

STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
2 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
4 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 5 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
5 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 6 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.