Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 14, 2021 6:47 PM

Apr 2019
The site changed "Dementia" to "Avant Garde". What's the point of this? What is an "Avant Garde" anime? haha
They are updating the site and it's making things worse.

MAL also replaced "Shoujo-ai" and "Shounen-ai" with "Girls Love" and "Boys Love".
Added "Erotica" to hentai. What's the point being that you already have "hentai"?

Added some themes for anime.
Look here:
https://myanimelist.net/anime.php

Well, it's just getting worse. Name changes are meaningless.
Adding themes is a good idea, especially to filter Mahou Shoujo (which doesn't have it yet), for example.
Sep 14, 2021 6:55 PM

Apr 2021
First I've heard of these changes, but honestly most of these I think are better. 'Avant Garde' is a much better descriptor for almost all of the anime that had the 'dementia' tag, basically a fancier way of saying experimental. 'Girls love' and 'boys love' are also much closer to the actual genre names, I was always annoyed by the terms 'shoujo-ai' and 'shounen-ai'. Though I would honestly rather just have it all be umbrellaed under 'yuri' and 'yaoi' since there is honestly no point in separating out the 2 when we already have a 'hentai' tag.

The only one I kinda agree with you on is changing 'hentai' to 'erotica' since hentai is a specific term to animation, where as 'erotica' encapsulates a lot of different mediums, but it isn't that egregious of a change.
Sep 14, 2021 6:56 PM

May 2020
Who the hell gives a shit, I certainly don't
Sep 14, 2021 7:00 PM

Mar 2015
mal is probably being run by folks suffering from a bit of avant garde. that's why these meaningful changes are taking place. that's ok though: welcome to the clown world
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to be better every single day? Also no
Sep 14, 2021 7:03 PM

Feb 2021
I still wonder if they are going to add the genre of "isekai" someday.
Sep 14, 2021 7:07 PM

Aug 2020
maybe they're making it more friendly to those who can't speak weeb lmao.

I can't think of a reason for this change other than that and I can't really say its better or worse. The erotica tag is pretty pointless though.

^We have gourmet and work life tag which are pretty niche but not isekai lol.
Sep 14, 2021 7:15 PM

Apr 2019
MadanielFL said:
I still wonder if they are going to add the genre of "isekai" someday.
Yes. Isekai and Mahou Shoujo they are not genres, but themes. Now there are themes on the site and I think you should add both.
Sep 14, 2021 7:24 PM

Aug 2016
They should have added more genres earlier. Now they have more work going back to retro add all the ones that were completed
Sep 14, 2021 7:28 PM

Apr 2008
Now I have to change all my tags in my anime list, not that I mind...at least they could add an isekai, magical girl or reverse harem tags. They are adding freaking gourmet tags for fucks sake...
SevenSep 14, 2021 7:32 PM
Sep 14, 2021 7:29 PM

Feb 2018
I liked thriller more than suspense, but other than that it's nice to see that they are working on updating their genres since they could use some work. Right now Anime Planet, Anidb and Anilist are much more detailed in that regard.
Sep 14, 2021 7:30 PM

Sep 2014
I think it's a good change. They removed shounen, shoujo and seinen from genre and added a demographic category.

lol people intolerance of change is breathtaking.
Sep 14, 2021 7:38 PM

Aug 2019
interesting changes but quite honestly I don’t really care since it’s really just a rename; however if they were to add some new genres that would be cool
Sep 14, 2021 7:57 PM

Mar 2020
I like more how girls love sounds than shoujo ai, therefore this is a great change.
Sep 14, 2021 8:12 PM

Jun 2017
Adding, removing or re-defining fields in any database (as opposed to simply renaming but keeping the same concept) is a pain in the ass because the entries don't update themselves: you need to go through the whole list and decide whether each item fits in the new category. I see there's something called "Work Life" with no entries which I don't remember seeing before:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/48/Work_Life

I guess it's new. Now somebody needs to think of all the possible anime that could have that tag, or import the data from some other database that has already done the job. In either case it's a pain in (as already mentioned) the ass.
I don't see an announcement of the changes yet but I suppose it's coming.

Sep 14, 2021 8:25 PM

Jun 2021
Don't worry about it.
After all they are doing what is good for them.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
Sep 14, 2021 8:36 PM

Feb 2014
I like how "magic" has been entirely removed.
Sep 14, 2021 8:43 PM

Feb 2016

They finally added new genres, but none that anyone has been asking for? 🤣
その目だれの目?
Sep 14, 2021 8:46 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Whoa what, they started making new changes?
Okay, so not only did they change "Dementia" to "Avant Garde" and the other stuff OP mentioned... they also changed "Thriller" to "Suspense" and added "Award Winning", "Gourmet", and "Work Life".

First off, major props for FINALLY adding a Food tag with "Gourmet". Seriously right about frickin' time.

But where on earth are the Magical Girl and Isekai tags?
People deny "Isekai" being a proper genre, but there are easily so many anime with specific tropes associated with the trend made these days. They have become so prevalent throughout the past 6+ years that many including myself believe an isekai tag is justified so that we can learn to immediately avoid suspiciously "copy-pasted"-feeling series with such a tag and leave the isekai lovers alone. And you sure as hell cannot tell me that "Magical Girl" doesn't deserve its own genre tag... that's been a legit genre since the frickin' 60s with literal tons of anime that definitely fall under enough similar tropes to classify it as a category. Even several other anime listing sites have it as a proper genre tag, so THERE IS NO REASON NOT TO INCLUDE A MAGICAL GIRL TAG.

Punkero said:
I like how "magic" has been entirely removed.
WAIT WHY?????
Sep 14, 2021 8:59 PM

Jan 2020
Well this will get some time to get used to for me...

It'll feel well not seeing "dementia" be the name anymore

the magic removal is a bit weird though

Dec 2014
who the well cares about "award winning"?

nobody gives a shit for prizes, if you care about it, go watch oscar or golden* globe

and what the heck is "avant garde"?

BlinkWinkel2864Sep 14, 2021 9:03 PM

Jul 2012
All those changes are better. The less googling someone who doesn't know the Japanese terms has to do the better and Avant Garde suits the content better than whatever the fuck Dementia was supposed to stand in for.
Sep 14, 2021 9:01 PM

Feb 2016
Fario-P said:
And you sure as hell cannot tell me that "Magical Girl" doesn't deserve its own genre tag... that's been a legit genre since the frickin' 60s

Seniority doesn’t matter to these admins. “Tragedy” has been a legit genre for thousands of years and it still does not have its own tag. “Police” and “cars” are deemed more important.
その目だれの目?
Sep 14, 2021 9:08 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
ManWild said:
agreed; there are some anime with magic in it that aren't quite fantasy cuz a modern urban setting is not exactly a fantasy setting, and the magic might be fairly minimal but some series with minimal magic kinda wouldn't feel right being set as "supernatural" imo

✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶
Weidman said:

nobody gives a shit for prizes, if you care about it, go watch oscar or golden* globe

i thought no one cared too... but there are people on these forums who genuinely ask for popular and well-received anime, so i assume this tag was made for those people. as for "avant garde", it's generally a term meant to describe more experimental types of art/film, so it's not that weird of a tag imo

Lucifrost said:
Fario-P said:
And you sure as hell cannot tell me that "Magical Girl" doesn't deserve its own genre tag... that's been a legit genre since the frickin' 60s

Seniority doesn’t matter to these admins. “Tragedy” has been a legit genre for thousands of years and it still does not have its own tag. “Police” and “cars” are deemed more important.
you've got a point there, also reading your last sentence made me chuckle a bit
Sep 14, 2021 9:16 PM

Oct 2018
Damn, they don't have Coming-of-Age tag here.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Sep 14, 2021 9:21 PM

Dec 2014
Fario-P said:
ManWild said:
agreed; there are some anime with magic in it that aren't quite fantasy cuz a modern urban setting is not exactly a fantasy setting, and the magic might be fairly minimal but some series with minimal magic kinda wouldn't feel right being set as "supernatural" imo

Weidman said:

i thought no one cared too... but there are people on these forums who genuinely ask for popular and well-received anime, so i assume this tag was made for those people. as for "avant garde", it's generally a term meant to describe more experimental types of art/film, so it's not that weird of a tag imo

Lucifrost said:

you've got a point there, also reading your last sentence made me chuckle a bit

but anime isn't film, dementia is a proper term to use, or even denpa in the case of perfect blue, and seeing this "avant garde" page, I see a lot of SHIT ANIME using stop motion or generic stuff like higurashi (don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed higurashi, but it isn't "experimental" at all)

this is myANIMElist, if you like avant garde go to rotten tomatoes

Jul 2012
Fario-P said:
And you sure as hell cannot tell me that "Magical Girl" doesn't deserve its own genre tag... that's been a legit genre since the frickin' 60s with literal tons of anime that definitely fall under enough similar tropes to classify it as a category. Even several other anime listing sites have it as a proper genre tag, so THERE IS NO REASON NOT TO INCLUDE A MAGICAL GIRL TAG.

Magical girl as a genre is so dubiously defined that you don't even need to be magical or a girl to join the club. If you took a modern weeb a got them to watch a magical girl show from the 60s like Mahou Tsukai Sally they probably wouldn't coin it as Magical girl.

Jul 2019
They changed Thriller for Suspense
Yeah most of thriller anime have suspense but that's not the point of a thriller, a thriller is about the main character getting better or worse
y'all should watch haibane renmei
Sep 14, 2021 9:24 PM

Jul 2012
Weidman said:
but anime isn't film, dementia is a proper term to use, or even denpa in the case of perfect blue, and seeing this "avant garde" page, I see a lot of SHIT ANIME using stop motion or generic stuff like higurashi (don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed higurashi, but it isn't "experimental" at all)

Higurashi is absolutely unorthodox though.
Sep 14, 2021 9:25 PM

Dec 2014
GreenPlatinum said:
Weidman said:

only in your mind, if you get my drift XD
Sep 14, 2021 9:25 PM

Oct 2014
I'm happy that they changed the name of dementia and they compiled the gay genres (shoujo ai is such a disgusting concept in its original definition that it feels wrong to use it to refer to non-hentai yuri). Seems like they've also added some new genres in there. Shame there's still no magical girl genre, though.
Sep 14, 2021 9:29 PM

Jul 2012
Weidman said:
GreenPlatinum said:

Not really. Even with some outliers, I personally wouldn't miss Higurashi. I don't think Dementia is the better term.
Sep 14, 2021 9:35 PM

Mar 2008
TheFlyingOrange said:
I liked thriller more than suspense, but other than that it's nice to see that they are working on updating their genres since they could use some work. Right now Anime Planet, Anidb and Anilist are much more detailed in that regard.

Thriller is more related to horror while suspense is related to action and drama. I dont really feel they are totally interchangeable though similar as they are.
Sep 14, 2021 9:37 PM

Dec 2014
GreenPlatinum said:
Weidman said:

Not really. Even with some outliers, I personally wouldn't miss Higurashi. I don't think Dementia is the better term.

it is, because higurashi is a very common anime besides the "dementia" aspect of the plot, everybody in that village seems kinda annoying or out-of-place, but putting this aside, it's an anime like any other.

If "avant garde" tag had any sense, aku no hana should be there, and look, IT'S NOT THERE HAHAHAHA, they just changed the name to give a impression of "asshole elitist movie watcher, letterboxd user"

Sep 14, 2021 9:37 PM

Jul 2019
Avant garde is a much better descriptor for experimental shit than saying dementia. Might as well call something what it actually is instead of referring to it with the name of a set of neurological disorders. MAL was the only site to even have a "genre" named dementia.
Sep 14, 2021 10:25 PM

May 2020
It's just a rename,but it's funny how they changed Shounen Ai to Boy's love and same with Shoujo Ai.Will take some time to get used to
Sep 14, 2021 10:27 PM

Feb 2020
-Replacing Dementia with Avantgarde is good, but they're not synonymous, so there need to be some changes.
-Gourmet
-Removal of Magic is kinda unnecessary.
-Not sure what to think about Suspense replacing Thriller, why change the name?
-Adding Award-Winning is fine, it's basically just an "official" list of recommendations.
-They should've added more genres (like Mahou Shoujo) if they're making a huge change like that.

Edit: I didn't show me the new categories (genre, explicit genre, theme, demographic) earlier for some reason. Was wondering what people were talking about lol. That's pretty cool, so probably no more genre vs demographic threads. Although Josei is still in the genre category as of writing this. And Gourmet seems more like a theme than a genre to me.
mazuchiSep 15, 2021 12:30 AM
Sep 15, 2021 12:07 AM
Jul 2018
It's really nice to see some changes, but come on, still no magical girl, isekai or something that's really anime specific is weird.
Sep 15, 2021 12:14 AM

May 2018
Oh no!
They are de-weebefing us!

And Avant Garde sounds so intentionally elitistic.
Sep 15, 2021 12:18 AM

Oct 2010
how is evangelion avant-garde? I see mecha is a theme now, pretty weird
edit: they messed up badly with Sailor Moon, now no one understands what this show is by looking at the tags
CatalanoSep 15, 2021 12:24 AM
Sep 15, 2021 12:33 AM

Jun 2020
Crap!! Now I have to change the tags from my list there are over 600 entires.
Sep 15, 2021 1:17 PM

Feb 2016
Catalano said:
edit: they messed up badly with Sailor Moon, now no one understands what this show is by looking at the tags

Genre: Romance
Theme: Demons
Demographic: Shoujo

Does this make Sailor Moon the progenitor to Twilight and other "teen paranormal romance?"
その目だれの目?
Sep 15, 2021 1:23 PM

Oct 2010
Lucifrost said:
Catalano said:

Genre: Romance
Theme: Demons
Demographic: Shoujo

Does this make Sailor Moon the progenitor to Twilight and other "teen paranormal romance?"

by comparison, A-P actually knows how to tag an anime
Sep 15, 2021 1:37 PM

Aug 2018
It's gonna be a mess. It's written in the stars. They haven't realised it yet.

Lincanfer said:

I have the same problem how you do it but with approx. 1300 in total entries. *OOF*
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Sep 15, 2021 1:53 PM

Nov 2016
It's a shame they didn’t add battle shounen.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 15, 2021 2:12 PM

May 2021
I wouldnt be so pessimistic, decoupling themes and genres is a good idea so we have general outlines of the style of an anime with genres while describing the content through themes. Themes could evolve faster, since there is no constraint of generality, be more specific and produce better recommendations in the long run if the community participate

Sep 15, 2021 2:21 PM

Nov 2019
We just have to adapt, that is the first priority.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Sep 15, 2021 2:42 PM

May 2020
Shokugeki no Souma - the one and only "Gourmet" anime! 😎

Overall I don't mind this change, if it gets similar to something like MangaDex's definition of genres <-> themes, that'd actually be kinda nice. Applying new themes for all the exisitng entires sounds like a real pain though.
Also moving demographics to their own section was definetly a good choice.
Don't mind me,
just passing by...
Sep 15, 2021 2:47 PM

Apr 2013
shoujo ai and shounen ai being replaced is a 100% correct move. Shoujo ai and shounen ai don't mean what peoples think they do, and the mistake was quite borderline embarrassing to see considering what the real meaning of these words are.

It's good that they're separating genres from other tags like demographics too.
Sep 15, 2021 2:54 PM

Sep 2018
1) Is there really anyone who prefers Dementia over Avant Garde?

- Avant Garde = works that are experimental, radical, or unorthodox with respect to art, culture, or society. It is frequently characterized by aesthetic innovation and initial unacceptability.

- Dementia = a general term for the impaired ability to remember, think, or make decisions that interferes with doing everyday activities

2) Work Life was very needed, Shirobako being listed only as Comedy and Drama is a total joke, way worse than any discussion about Isekai.
Sep 16, 2021 2:33 AM

Jun 2020
Timz0r said:
It's gonna be a mess. It's written in the stars. They haven't realised it yet.

Lincanfer said:

I have the same problem how you do it but with approx. 1300 in total entries. *OOF*

We can add the genres and demographic separately which does the same magic as tags so I had hid the tag section and enabled the genre and demographic, Now I can add entries without worrying about copying genres in the tag.
It got me worrying at the beginning knowing they changed genres but hearing about separate section for that made me somewhat relieved but still if I want to use tags for different purpose I have to first clean that 700+ worth of entries.

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

121 by FFandMMfan »»
7 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7158 by damiJESUS »»
9 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

978 by legonene »»
12 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates.

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

45 by Bidoof_PMD-EOS »»
13 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

45 by Longnines »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.