Even boring anime can be watched if it has good fan service
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 13, 2021 4:54 AM

Mar 2020
Nah man i cant watch fairy tail even with that
Sep 13, 2021 4:59 AM
Jul 2018
Lol
FanService can be distracting if it is incessantly excessive like High school of the Dead
Sep 13, 2021 5:01 AM

Mar 2020
If ur fan service is accompanied with good humour then it will work
Sep 13, 2021 5:01 AM
Jul 2018
I can't find a single reason to hate fanservice
Sep 13, 2021 5:04 AM

May 2018
"Reasons to hate fan service"

The main reason someone doing that is hating the fans who are being serviced.
Sep 13, 2021 5:07 AM
Jul 2018
I can't find a single reason to hate fanservice (2)
Sep 13, 2021 5:09 AM
Jul 2018
Hm, I'm a gay feminist and now I don't know what to pick. :/

Most fanservice just comes off as dumb or greasy and is a lot of second hand embarassment.

I also don't want to watch teenagers landing in the crotch of other teenagers or seeing their panties, while they react in the dumbest ways possible.
Sep 13, 2021 5:10 AM
Jul 2018
"Oh no I'm falling asleep .. ... boring plot... ... .. OH BOOBS!!! now I'm invested again"

rinse and repeat. Its not pandering to "fans" just to those who'd lose interest otherwise.

Also I love how gay is an option.
removed-userSep 13, 2021 5:50 AM
Sep 13, 2021 5:20 AM

May 2021
I find HEAVY fan service/cliché/ tropes bothersome or annoying is when it comes in the context of comedy which I find to be unnecessary most of the time, otherwise, minor fanservice doesn't ruin my experience
Sep 13, 2021 5:20 AM
Jun 2017
There are many reasons:

- Unnecessary. By definition, it's just there to appease fans rather than add anything, meaning it's ultimately nothing but padding for a scene that could be easily removed.
- Low-brow/devaluing characters. Sticking to just the colloquial definition as opposed to the actual meaning, having softcore sexual fanservice just to get people's interest is usually a sign that a work doesn't hold up or stand out without such superficial elements. Most fanservice scenes rely on tired tropes that often devalue the characters within it by them being turned into tired archetypes or acting inconsistent (eg. the trope of a cool-headed or resolute woman becoming flustered when the mc sees them naked or something similar being a bad cliche).
- Self-indulgent. This is speaking purely of fanservice in its proper term rather than what most people associate it with. Having other types of fanservice such as a popular character being forced into the spotlight or having an iconic quote repurposed (eg. going outside of anime, take how much the Terminator franchise has reused the "I'll be back" quote in very unfitting ways in later sequels) ends up feeling forced and decrease the integrity of a work.
- Overdone and far from satisfying. There's so many anime that do the type of "fanservice" most people associate with the term that it's hard to care about it, especially when the limits of what can be portrayed make it ultimately pointless. If you want to see an anime just for sexual content, just watch hentai.

It's also important to note that scenes of a sexual nature aren't fanservice if more is added to them. For instance, the sex gags in early Dragon Ball work as most ended up being tied into the plot of the scene rather than being pure padding.
Sep 13, 2021 5:23 AM

Feb 2021
Hollywood: has literal half-naked superheroes and female characters with no purpose other than a romantic interest for a dude
People: ♥

Anime: shows one (1) cleavage or panty shot
People:

Sep 13, 2021 5:23 AM

Mar 2015
Hmm what do I pick if my problem with fanservice is not enough guys getting sexialized?

HatTrickPatrick said:
Hollywood: has literal half-naked superheroes and female characters with no purpose other than a romantic interest for a dude

PLenty of people complain about female characters like that
Sep 13, 2021 5:30 AM

Feb 2021
Mirai said:
PLenty of people complain about female characters like that

πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€” πŸ€”
Sep 13, 2021 5:32 AM
Jun 2017
HatTrickPatrick said:

Anime: shows one (1) cleavage or panty shot
People:
Leaving aside how your point would hold more weight if you provided a few examples (and I don't see anyone praising the former idea anyway), a love interest at least adds to the plot or character motivations whereas a panty shot adds nothing but eye candy to a thirsty audience.
Sep 13, 2021 5:32 AM

Oct 2018
FanService can be distracting if it is incessantly excessive like High school of the Dead (2)

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Sep 13, 2021 5:33 AM

Oct 2010
If I don't watch anime to get horny, what makes you think I'm going to enjoy random panty shot inserts? Is it supposed to be appealing or something?
Sep 13, 2021 5:35 AM

May 2018
It's the mostly the first 2. There is literally no reason to ever complain about fanservice unless you're gay or a brainwashed feminist.
Sep 13, 2021 5:39 AM

Sep 2020
Fan service in an ecchi way won't work that adequately for me but can be rational if associated with some drama and delicacy
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2021 6:06 AM

May 2020
1. they didn't show tits
2. They are not funny therefore making it worthless content
3. Sometimes they're not fit well with the show
Sep 13, 2021 6:19 AM

May 2020
Unless it is coming up minute after minute which makes it quite annoying, fanservice isn't something I hate
Sep 13, 2021 6:27 AM

Aug 2020
The only time I didn't like fan service was in Fire Force which was just annoying and too forced in my opinion

γ€Œ 𝕂𝕖π•ͺ π•₯𝕙𝕒π•₯ π•™π•šπ••π•–π•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕀 𝕠𝕗 π••π•’π•£π•œπ•Ÿπ•–π•€π•€, 𝕀𝕙𝕠𝕨 π•žπ•– π•ͺ𝕠𝕦𝕣 π•₯𝕣𝕦𝕖 π•—π• π•£π•ž 」

Sep 13, 2021 6:30 AM

Feb 2020
It depends on the anime. Sometimes it can be so awkward and forced.
Sep 13, 2021 6:31 AM
Laika Moonlight

Dec 2020
If "gay" is an option on the poll, then I certainly think my answer (asexual) is probably self-explanatory. I'm not morally opposed to fanservice, or something like that, but it just bores me to tears

Anton Chekhov would be turning in his grave at the pantyshots and naked breasts which don't serve to better the plot in any way, lol. If a gun can't just be mentioned in a story if it doesn't amount to anything, then you had better believe I want the fanservice to serve some sort of narrative purpose (such as in BEASTARS, for example)

In other words, fanservice to me is literally the same thing as going into excruciating detail about what a character had for lunch that afternoon, even though it's completely irrelevant and eats up runtime which could be better used for worldbuilding, character backstories, action sequences or whatever else
My greatest contribution to this website:
Sep 13, 2021 6:33 AM

Jun 2014
Fanservice shouldn't be in a show with a serious story/tone, as it tends to ruin the mood.

Fanservice works better in comedies, and works where you know to expect fanservice just by looking at the cover art.

Sep 13, 2021 6:49 AM

Mar 2020
There are no reasons to hate fanservice, if we ever get world peace, it will be because of fanservice.
People that dont like fanservice are just tsundere. Being gay is not an excuse, everyone likes boobs, and stripped frilly pantsu.
Sep 13, 2021 6:50 AM

Jul 2020
I like fanservice except if it makes the show worse, there's that reason.
Sep 13, 2021 8:01 PM

Jan 2020
Not everyone wants fanservice

I don't mind myself but I only speak for myself

Sep 14, 2021 3:50 AM
Jul 2018
I don't really mind fanservice but I just start to hate it when it gets too excessive or unnecessary to the point where it looks like the show writers are just starting to milk it with the same tits they've been shoving up on my face for a whole episode.
Sep 14, 2021 9:53 AM

Jun 2017
I don't mind fanservice, the best place for fanservice is in series specifically made to be around fanservice (IE: Ecchi stuff) or if the anime itself is lackluster and has a generic story, some fanservice can help bridge the gap and make it watchable.

Fairy Tail is a good example, it's pretty much an archetypal shonen.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Sep 14, 2021 11:30 AM

Sep 2020
Cheap resource to get audience's attention and to avoid plot building and character development.
Sep 14, 2021 11:31 AM

Feb 2010
it's mostly because of either hypocrites or religious fanatics.

you will find many people that object to ecchi and yuri, but the second it's yaoi or female aimed ecchi like Free.

they are okay with it. which is hypocritical to the extreme. most the times when they want to get rid of ecchi, but you say "okay lets get of yaoi and female aim amed ecchi."
they go "BuT iT's NoT tHe SaMe!"

then you have religious prudes that think it's "morally wrong/sin"

Mirai said:
Hmm what do I pick if my problem with fanservice is not enough guys getting sexialized?
t

you don't pick anything you go watch free, K, Jojos, and all the mountains of yaoi mangas

GrimAtramentSep 14, 2021 11:38 AM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Sep 14, 2021 12:56 PM

Nov 2007
i like how "straight woman" isnt even an option. you are blind to the actual issue even while you are explicitly bearing it out in a public forum. women don't seem to be permitted to have their own views, just bodies to look at. or perhaps if a woman shares a view you don't want to hear you can demonize it by labeling it "feminist."
Sep 14, 2021 1:28 PM

Mar 2021
Fanservice isn't always sexual in nature. Sadly over the years fanservice in anime has just generally become misconstrued with ecchi themes.

Even the most mainstream of titles have a bit of fanservice here and there that is strictly targeting their most hardcore viewers. Either from an unexpected cameo of a loved character from the past to throwing in a niche theme specifically to appeal to a certain demographic.

In western media studios like "Disney" will make a title that is targeted towards children and throw in some female character just as eye candy just to appeal to male adults who take their children to see these movies.

If one really hates "fanservice" in general, you would be hard pressed to find any number of modern anime titles completely devoid of it. Because even titles you think have no fanservice, if you actually took the time to look for it you possibly will find some fanservice you might have overlooked before.
ColourWheelSep 14, 2021 1:35 PM
Sep 14, 2021 2:17 PM

Aug 2010
I think fanservice is boring.
I'm not attracted to cartoon boobs and panties.

I want to see cool characters in cool costumes, possibly with cool powers, beat the shit out of each other. Fanservice is just a complete waste of time, most of the time. I'd be cool with getting a good story too, but i don't rely on anime of that, and fanservice would only detract from that too.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Sep 14, 2021 2:27 PM
Nov 2019
I mean a lot of the time fan service just kinda ruins the plot or just takes the focus of the entire show and makes it redundant to watch. All your options assume everyone LOVES a pair of anime tiddies which isn't even close to the truth.
Sep 14, 2021 2:30 PM

Sep 2014
Meh, I suppose of these four being a hypocrite is the most common but most of the time its none of these i suppose.
I think it has to do with your upbringinig or the culture in your country or something, idk. I personally love me some fanservice, and never felt like it made an anime worse or distracted me from the plot or other aspects of the show. IDK, some people are allergic to it it feels like. Like all them people complaining camera was on Kallen's ass for 3 seconds in code geass - even if you ain't liking the sight, why would you even notice it and think about it to the point it annoyed you lol
Sep 14, 2021 2:34 PM

Apr 2015
It serves no discernable narrative purpose a lot of the time and is actively both wasting my time and insulting my intelligence by thinking I'd somehow be more entertained getting my PP hard, than actually engaging with the story content they've chosen.

But what do you do? Inserting random tits and ass is easy, having a compelling narrative and characters is challenging.
Sep 14, 2021 2:35 PM

Mar 2021
I can't watch Monogatari with parents around
Sep 14, 2021 2:42 PM

Nov 2017
1. I can't take a show seriously with fan service plus sometimes I would like to watch an anime with someone but then bitches be getting naked and moaning over nothing.

2. It's unnecessary. It's a cartoon, why would I need to see abs and tits everywhere? I ain't that horny.

3. Doesn't make sense. Somehow multiple characters end up naked after fighting...like what?? Every.Single.Fight.

4. Many times they add it in serious scenes but just like I said before, I won't be able to take it seriously. Fan service turns the anime into a comedy and most times a bad one.

Obviously sometimes, if not extreme and unneeded, I won't mind it. So if it only happens a few times I really won't care.
"he has it big as a cactus
but he won't let go of my head
and I puke on his cock bitch" - Boy by Fishball 
Sep 14, 2021 2:46 PM

Oct 2013
I think you meant to say "even fanservice heavy shows can be watchable if they aren't boring". I love me some fanservice, but no amount of bouncing anime boobage is going to keep me from dropping something that bores the shit out of me.

If we were talking about games, I'd be more inclined to agree. I'm not playing games like Senran Kagura for the story or character development, I can tell you that much. And at least that actually lets me control the characters, so I'm getting more out of it than just constant gravity defying boobies being shoved in my face.
FanofActionSep 14, 2021 2:59 PM
Sep 14, 2021 2:54 PM

May 2009
Reasons to hate threads flaming people who hate fanservice

Why do you hate threads flaming people who hate fanservice?
β–‘ Repetitive
β–‘ Strawmanning push-poll
β–‘ Low-effort
β–‘ OP not even here for the conversation

More serious answer to the topic:

I like good-looking characters. Everyone likes good-looking characters.

But I don't like sex appeal when it feels shoehorned in and doesn't fit with the rest of the story.

Same goes with any decorative thing, honestly.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 14, 2021 3:06 PM

Jul 2017
Aerosmith224 said:
Lol
FanService can be distracting if it is incessantly excessive like High school of the Dead

That's a really strange example. HSOTD is an Ecchi series lol

Sep 14, 2021 3:11 PM
Jul 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Reasons to hate threads flaming people who hate fanservice

Why do you hate threads flaming people who hate fanservice?
β–‘ Repetitive
β–‘ Strawmanning push-poll
β–‘ Low-effort
β–‘ OP not even here for the conversation

More serious answer to the topic:

I like good-looking characters. Everyone likes good-looking characters.

But I don't like sex appeal when it feels shoehorned in and doesn't fit with the rest of the story.

Same goes with any decorative thing, honestly.

Yes, I sign this.

Also fanservice is rarely sexy. It's supposed to be sexy, but I always think "oh yeah, I'm not supposed to be here, that series is written for horny teenage boys."

Of course not when there are one or two harmless scenes, but it can become annoying fast and I drop series with dumb fanservice then, because chances are high that I won't like characters and story either.
One of the only things that annoyed me but I kept watching, has been Magi, because I liked other things there.
removed-userSep 14, 2021 3:27 PM
Sep 14, 2021 3:20 PM

Mar 2020
I prefer the funny kind of fan service over the sexy kind but both are fine. Like anything it can be done poorly or done well. Some of the older fan service is cringe as fuck though. Like Ikkitousen gets so old so fast and a lot of the time it is accompanied by groping and shit and I don't really like that style of fan service.
Sep 14, 2021 4:00 PM
Dec 2019
[quote=hazarddex message=64396033]it's mostly because of either hypocrites or religious fanatics.

you will find many people that object to ecchi and yuri, but the second it's yaoi or female aimed ecchi like Free.

they are okay with it. which is hypocritical to the extreme. most the times when they want to get rid of ecchi, but you say "okay lets get of yaoi and female aim amed ecchi."

Mirai said:
t

you don't pick anything you go watch free, K, Jojos, and all the mountains of yaoi mangas

[/q
hazarddex said:
it's mostly because of either hypocrites or religious fanatics.

Mirai said:
t

Eh I can agree to a point. U don't often see shounen mangas have 2 guys wanting to fuck each other, but instead women w tits and ass as their personalilty. The only one I can think of is fire force when the guys were taking pics of their muscles. Which was so forced it literally hurt me.U can see women often bash ecchi, but it's more just unnecessary fan service.it's also not all that different w men to Yaoi. The problem is normal animes adding fan service when they're literally abt to die.

Run down is basically that if it's not meant to be jacked off to, don't add it
Sep 14, 2021 4:12 PM
Oct 2020
i dont hate it unless dad walked on me watching it and i then have to go to the long process of convincing him that anime is not all like that cs hes basically aware of how much anime i watch lol <3
𝕿𝖔 π–‘π–Žπ–›π–Š π–Žπ–˜ π–™π–π–Š π–—π–†π–—π–Šπ–˜π–™ π–™π–π–Žπ–“π–Œ π–Žπ–“ π–™π–π–Š π–œπ–”π–—π–‘π–‰. π•Έπ–”π–˜π–™ π–•π–Šπ–”π–•π–‘π–Š π–π–šπ–˜π–™ π–Šπ–π–Žπ–˜π–™
Sep 14, 2021 5:51 PM
Sep 2021
Fanservice is for virgin losers. Imagine being such a loser that you have to simp for 2D characters. Yikes!!
Isekai, Ecchi and Harem are garbage!
FACTS
Sep 14, 2021 5:59 PM

May 2016
Yash-Anime347 said:
Fanservice is for virgin losers. Imagine being such a loser that you have to simp for 2D characters. Yikes!!
Then it seems like it should be right up your alley
Sep 14, 2021 6:35 PM

Mar 2015
I don't understand the provided reasons. who would ever think that fan service is inherently gay? there is a bunch of straight fan service. in fact most fan service is straight since most of the audience also is so. therefore it's invalid reason.

sarcasm aside, where is the option 'I don't'? I can't vote like this
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to be better every single day? Also no
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 36 minutes ago

4 by Zettaiken »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

30 by Zefyris »»
3 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

80 by Maumuu »»
8 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 5 hours ago

31 by LostSpectre »»
9 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - Yesterday

13 by TheMechaManiac »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.