Forum Settings
Forums

Have you ever lived in the countryside? (short or long-term )

New
Sep 3, 2021 3:14 PM

Jun 2020
Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to experience this yet.

what about you guys? if yes what did you think of the experience?
If you haven't would you like to live there (temporarily)?

There's several jobs you can do from home or online nowadays, would ever consider living there for the long-term while doing one of these jobs?
Hydre_ItoSep 4, 2021 5:21 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 3, 2021 3:29 PM
Jul 2018
Hmm I guess it can be consider country side I lived in village for the first like 9 years of my life.
Sep 3, 2021 3:39 PM
Jan 2020
No. I dont want that because job opportunities and infraestructure are bad in my country's countryside.
inactive
Sep 3, 2021 3:40 PM

Apr 2019
After seeing Non Non Biyori I really wanted to live in a place like this. I've never even visited a place like it.
Sep 3, 2021 3:55 PM

Apr 2020
I lived on a farm for a few years as a kid. It was... Eh. I don't really ever want that again. It's just too far away from everything
Sep 3, 2021 4:06 PM

Dec 2015
If living in a town which has 12-15k citizens is counted as living in countryside than yes I am living at countryside most part of my life.
Sep 3, 2021 6:13 PM

Oct 2014
I have some family who live in some pretty remote areas in Oregon, and I've spent a few summers there over the years. It's peaceful and very beautiful, but after awhile I always feel a longing for society again.
Sep 3, 2021 7:15 PM

Jul 2020
I did get to stay there but no live, I liked it very much it's so much better than the capital
Sep 3, 2021 7:58 PM

Aug 2018
For the first 5 yrs of my life I lived on a farm in timbucktwo (nowhere), then around 11-13 I lived in a small country town for a few years. Gigantic spiders and man-eating snakes aside, the country life’s great, I think non non biyori captures it pretty accurately (at least the good parts)
Sep 3, 2021 8:19 PM

Jun 2020
nope never had the chance to but I hope I get to experience living in the countryside
Sep 3, 2021 9:05 PM

Jan 2020
I personally haven't. I honestly don't think I ever will

Sep 3, 2021 9:46 PM

Jan 2011
I grew up on an Indian reservation. It's alright, quiet. Lot of coyotes, some mountain lions and deer and Lots of mountains to hike.. there was nothing to do. No internet, no nearby stores just quietness. I would like to move back there when I get old and retire but for now I'll just enjoy my time in town and what it has to offer.
Sep 3, 2021 10:02 PM

May 2021
I have never been in a "pure" countryside, but I have lived during some periods in houses that are far away from towns and cities, enough to not hear anything but birds and bugs at night while having a shitty ass 4G connection

Sep 3, 2021 10:19 PM
Jul 2018
I experienced living in a country side. It's chill.
Sep 3, 2021 11:14 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
I have lived in a small Austrian village for a few months. It was nice and everything, but I got bored rather quickly since there were not many places to go to, and my dating pool was nigh on non-existent. Not to mention that I had a hard time understanding the local dialect.
Sep 4, 2021 1:55 AM
Jan 2019
I've been living in the countryside (village of some 2000 people) for the past 10 years. The things I love the most are the general peace and quiet, nature and clean air. It's great for your nerves when you just wanna relax in your garden and stargaze.

But for younger people there's nothing much to do or job offers so you have to frequently travel to a bigger city via car or train, that part gets really annoying and unconvenient.
Sep 4, 2021 1:56 AM

Oct 2009
nahh, but i'd love to. less people, the better.
Sep 4, 2021 2:00 AM

May 2021
Yes, I spend my childhood in the countryside and, I'd say it was heaven compared to the shit place I'm living in now
Sep 4, 2021 2:41 AM

Aug 2020
I lived in a small country town for the first 5 years of my life

「 𝕂𝕖𝕪 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕙𝕚𝕕𝕖𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕤 𝕠𝕗 𝕕𝕒𝕣𝕜𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕤, 𝕤𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕞𝕖 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕥𝕣𝕦𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕞 」

Sep 4, 2021 2:43 AM

Mar 2015
Living there is a bit of an overstatement, but my family owns a summer house in the countryside where I spend some time every year.

It's pretty enjoyable in the summer but I'd rather not spend any of the colder months there.
Sep 4, 2021 3:27 AM

Nov 2019
I have lived in the countryside for most of my life. It's relaxing to not hear noise everywhere you go and see 50 different people in every direction you look.

死神

What do you think are the most important things in life? Money, dreams, sympathy towards others...

Yes, they're all important things as well... But the most important thing is responsibility for your own actions.
- Yuichi
Sep 4, 2021 3:34 AM
Jul 2018
I wouldn’t mind it as long as the main towns aren’t too far away.
Sep 4, 2021 5:06 AM

Oct 2012
I live in the countryside. It's a village with about 2000 people. It's calm and relaxing for the most part. But the downsides are that it often smells like fertilizer from the fields, and there's only one bus each hour and the latest bus comes at 8:30 pm. And there are no busses on sundays. So you can't reach bigger towns that easily. We also only have one supermarket, no other options to buy stuff.
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?
Sep 4, 2021 5:12 AM

Jun 2021
Yeah my relative live in the countryside so when we go to met them there I live at there for some time.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
Sep 4, 2021 5:18 AM

Jun 2020
Illuminatli said:
I live in the countryside. It's a village with about 2000 people. It's calm and relaxing for the most part. But the downsides are that it often smells like fertilizer from the fields, and there's only one bus each hour and the latest bus comes at 8:30 pm. And there are no busses on sundays. So you can't reach bigger towns that easily. We also only have one supermarket, no other options to buy stuff.

But nowadays you can order a lot of stuff online

149597871 said:
I have lived in a small Austrian village for a few months. It was nice and everything, but I got bored rather quickly since there were not many places to go to, and my dating pool was nigh on non-existent. Not to mention that I had a hard time understanding the local dialect.

Have you heard of the paradox of choice?
Hydre_ItoSep 4, 2021 5:36 AM
Sep 4, 2021 5:42 AM

Feb 2020
One of my parents (now former sadly, it's being sold) homes was in the countryside of Herefordshire, UK. I've lived there off & on for a number of years. It was nice but VERY remote small cluster of houses. The nearest "bigger place" was 8-10 miles down very narrow windy roads. The area used to suffer blackouts from electrical storms which could last days and had floods which almost killed our rabbits if they hadn't been smart enough to bunch together on a rocking chair in our garage. It was quite noisy all the time - Sheep, Dogs, Owls.

It...was nice but i couldn't live there. I can't drive and my remaining family is too far away from there.
Sep 4, 2021 6:00 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Yeah, for like a day or two. Always enjoy its relaxing and calm atmosphere ^.^

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Sep 4, 2021 6:35 AM

Sep 2015
I grew up in the countryside (for about 15 years), but now I live in a city.

It was pretty nice there, lots of grass and flowers. The summers were amazing. I feel lucky to have lived there.

There was a lot of extra work with the land around the house, such as mowing lawns and dealing with trees that threatened the house. Sometimes there would be trouble with the water and electricity but it was uncommon. I think overall, living in the city is more convenient. Here stores and such are closer too.
can dis sig fit
Sep 5, 2021 10:12 AM

Jul 2016
I have lived in the countryside for almost a decade and a half. I grew up in a nice English city, having been there in recent years it is completely alien and unrecogniseable.
Sep 5, 2021 12:11 PM

Oct 2019
I've always lived in the suburbs, but not rural countryside. Wait maybe there's no difference. What's the difference? I guess I've always lived in the countryside.
Sep 5, 2021 12:40 PM

Oct 2018
I lived there for the first six months of life, since I lived with my grandparents. I wouldn't mind living in a rural area sometime in the future.
Sep 5, 2021 12:58 PM

Jun 2016
Grew up in the countryside, teaches you some usefull skills if nothing else. It was also pretty peaceful, my only gripe was how hard it was to get to any cities cause for the most part we only had a bus depart every 4 or so hours and the train station was about 2 miles away.
Sep 5, 2021 1:46 PM

Jun 2020
Erg_Orgy said:
Grew up in the countryside, teaches you some usefull skills if nothing else. It was also pretty peaceful, my only gripe was how hard it was to get to any cities cause for the most part we only had a bus depart every 4 or so hours and the train station was about 2 miles away.

I wish I grew up in the countryside, that would be the ideal time in life for anyone to live in the countryside. Since after that you will have to submit to some kind of reliable job and urban life.

Honestly didn't think this thread would get this many replies when I was thinking of making it.
Hydre_ItoSep 7, 2021 3:08 AM
Sep 5, 2021 2:56 PM

Jul 2015
I lived in a town with like 5,000 people at one point, that’s the closest I’ve gotten to that. Does seem nice though, particularly if you own some nice land.
Sep 6, 2021 2:53 AM
Sep 2021
I lived during the month. Nice experience.
Sep 6, 2021 2:57 AM

Oct 2020
Fortunately, I did not have this "opportunity" either. Only been there on vacation or visiting some relatives. I'm definitely not made for that kind of life. I'd get bored to death in a couple of days. I love city life, as stressful as it may be you always have somewhere to go and something to do.
Sep 6, 2021 3:04 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Hydre_Ito said:

149597871 said:

Have you heard of the paradox of choice?

That is but a logical fallacy, in my opinion, similar to "money can't buy happiness" delusions and whatnot. Either that or some people lack certain higher brain functions. The more choices I have, the happier/freer I am.
Sep 6, 2021 3:54 AM

Aug 2020
I've lived at the very edge of the suburbs for practically all of my life. Though for a few weeks I have lived out in the sticks. Safe to say, I didn't enjoy it too much because I had no idea what everyone around me was saying because of how thick their regional accent was.

so sleepy...

did you need something?

Sep 6, 2021 6:11 AM

May 2018
I've lived in somewhat of the countryside all my life and I enjoy it, it's special to me. The wildlife and nature is calming and amusing, for example, just outside my bedroom windows are two massive trees, a plum tree and an avocado tree.

The plum tree (to me) embodies mother nature because every year like clockwork it becomes covered in fruit and feeds and houses iguanas, many different kinds of birds and squirrels. I love looking out and seeing the squirrels especially, they are so vivacious.

The avocado tree is the same way, except this also (strangely) housed a cat at one point, one time I was studying and looked out to the most breezy cat napping under the shade of the tree in all the dry leaves and availing it self of the silence and calm winds.

I have never had the opportunity to "live" in the city but I have spent bursts of time in a very small city and I can't say I enjoyed it more, therefore, I prefer countryside.

I suggest to all who have the opportunity to take it, it's quite the experience.
AkumaBlueSep 6, 2021 6:25 AM
Sep 6, 2021 6:23 AM

Feb 2019
I grew up in a smaller city, but definitely not as small as some of the other users in this thread. I did live in the suburbs, so farm animals, big houses, and lots of greenery weren't exactly uncommon. There were even some windmills here and there. Maybe because it wasn't that rural, I have no complaints about services or infrastructure. Granted, I didn't rely on public transportation, so take it with a grain of salt.

Was it a good experience? The place itself yes, most of the people in it no. Would I do it again? Not in a town as small as that, because my interests and ambitions aren't compatible with small town living anymore.
Sep 6, 2021 12:42 PM

Jun 2020
AkumaBlu said:
I've lived in somewhat of the countryside all my life and I enjoy it, it's special to me. The wildlife and nature is calming and amusing, for example, just outside my bedroom windows are two massive trees, a plum tree and an avocado tree.

The plum tree (to me) embodies mother nature because every year like clockwork it becomes covered in fruit and feeds and houses iguanas, many different kinds of birds and squirrels. I love looking out and seeing the squirrels especially, they are so vivacious.

The avocado tree is the same way, except this also (strangely) housed a cat at one point, one time I was studying and looked out to the most breezy cat napping under the shade of the tree in all the dry leaves and availing it self of the silence and calm winds.

I have never had the opportunity to "live" in the city but I have spent bursts of time in a very small city and I can't say I enjoyed it more, therefore, I prefer countryside.

I suggest to all who have the opportunity to take it, it's quite the experience.

OMGGGG you're living the dreeaam!!!! are you in university? and what kind of job do you plan to get? and how's the internet connection there?
Sep 6, 2021 7:35 PM

May 2018
Hydre_Ito said:
AkumaBlu said:

OMGGGG you're living the dreeaam!!!! are you in university? and what kind of job do you plan to get? and how's the internet connection there?

I am in university, and I used to stay near the campus for the week and come home on weekends, though now I am home all the time due to the virus. I am studying IT currently so I intend to get a job in this industry, most likely something related to data but I do not want to stay in one place all of my life, which is why I am studying what I am (I crave adventure, as silly and fantastical as it might sound to say).

The internet is decent, fortunately or unfortunately, because it’s good most of the time but when it rains heavily it’s gone and sometimes along with electricity haha

Though because of rapid urbanization everything is changing and what was once very rural is not so much anymore and will not last into the future except this land that I am on because I make it my priority to protect that plum tree for as long as I am here, as there exist enemies of it who want to cut it down!

But how about your experience, if you don’t mind my asking, how was your experience presumably living in a city? Is there anything you would not be able to give up in pursuit of life in a countryside?
AkumaBlueSep 6, 2021 7:39 PM
Sep 6, 2021 7:55 PM
Jul 2018
Fortunately not.
Friends, who grew up on the countryside moved to big cities, as soon as they graduated from high school, and they disliked it for quite a lot parts.

The neighbours sticked their noses in everyone's business. They talk about every step you make and make up ridiculous rumors in no time.
A female friend had for a lan party a bunch of friends at her place, including me and another woman, but mostly male ones, and the old hags in her neighbourhood made up the rumor that we had some sort of orgy over there, because women can't have guys at their place and not having sex with them apparantly lol.
I mean, it's funny in a way, but I like my neighbours anynonymous. They don't know me, I don't know them, it's perfect.

Also, I'd really miss the opportunity to do whatever I want without needing a car.
I don't really miss nature either. We got a lot of smaller and a bunch of bigger parks here.
removed-userSep 6, 2021 8:01 PM
Sep 6, 2021 8:38 PM

Jun 2010
I have lived in a semi-rural area for about a year or so. It is like in between a town and village where you have modern facilities (supermarket, schools, shops, etc) and at the same time, there are farms close by. There is a local horse stable where residents can keep their horses and engage hostlers to take care of them. The stable also serves as a horse riding club for those who wish to learn about caring and riding horses. In the estate where I live, there is a fishing pond where fishes and ducks are reared, and residents can build tents for camping, fishing, having picnics or simply feeding the fishes and ducks or relaxing in the nature. There are also lots of trees and plants and it is a breeze to go out in the morning and breathe in the fresh air. It is quieter as well, with much lesser motor vehicles than in the city. Thus noise pollution isn't much of an issue. It is actually quite a tranquil life style where one can't find in city living.

Besides the stable and garden, there are other farms for animals like cows, sheep, chicken and some others like vegetable and fruit plantations. Every morning, residents around the area can go there to buy fresh eggs, vegetables and fruits.

Of course, living in an area like this has its disadvantages and one of them is the rapid temperature fluctuation - it can be very sunny (nice and warm) in a minute and then it starts to get extremely windy and rains heavily (cold and freezing). Thus most people who live there will always bring along a jacket or sweater in case the weather starts to change. During winter, it is usually in minus degree and snow will pile up to the point where cars can't be driven out to the roads until it is cleared.

Living in the country may not be for everyone but if one seeks a quiet and serene life style with less disturbance and in a slower pace, then it can be very pleasant.

Sep 6, 2021 8:49 PM

Jan 2017
the closest i've ever lived in the country side was staying in the philippines for a week at my relative's place for a couple of days.

houses would literally be right next to the beach, small road/highway a few steps away from the house, and then mountains.
Sep 7, 2021 2:43 AM

Jun 2020
AkumaBlu said:
Hydre_Ito said:

The internet is decent, fortunately or unfortunately, because it’s good most of the time but when it rains heavily it’s gone and sometimes along with electricity haha

I don't think I would actually mind this too much, if anything, it's good to have a break from constantly using the internet.

AkumaBlu said:
Hydre_Ito said:

Though because of rapid urbanization everything is changing and what was once very rural is not so much anymore and will not last into the future except this land that I am on because I make it my priority to protect that plum tree for as long as I am here, as there exist enemies of it who want to cut it down!

Yeah it will probably all be gone in the near future, and it sucks!! but don't you think there would be groups protesting against this?

AkumaBlu said:
Hydre_Ito said:

But how about your experience, if you don’t mind my asking, how was your experience presumably living in a city? Is there anything you would not be able to give up in pursuit of life in a countryside?

City life isn't bad by any means, where I live there's lots of parks and quite a bit of greenery. I just thought it would be a nice experience to try out the countryside.
There isn't much I would find hard to give up besides job opportunities. Though if I can switch to a decent online job after I have gotten ample work experience it would probably solve that problem.

_Maneki-Neko_ said:

The neighbours sticked their noses in everyone's business. They talk about every step you make and make up ridiculous rumors in no time.
A female friend had for a lan party a bunch of friends at her place, including me and another woman, but mostly male ones, and the old hags in her neighbourhood made up the rumor that we had some sort of orgy over there, because women can't have guys at their place and not having sex with them apparantly lol.

OMG I can see how annoying that would be. Being gossiped is one of my worst fears! especially because I'm self-conscious.

But if you have a wide social circle in the city, wouldn't people gossip about you anyway?

ProGoddess said:
I have lived in a semi-rural area for about a year or so. It is like in between a town and village where you have modern facilities (supermarket, schools, shops, etc) and at the same time, there are farms close by. There is a local horse stable where residents can keep their horses and engage hostlers to take care of them. The stable also serves as a horse riding club for those who wish to learn about caring and riding horses. In the estate where I live, there is a fishing pond where fishes and ducks are reared, and residents can build tents for camping, fishing, having picnics or simply feeding the fishes and ducks or relaxing in the nature. There are also lots of trees and plants and it is a breeze to go out in the morning and breathe in the fresh air. It is quieter as well, with much lesser motor vehicles than in the city. Thus noise pollution isn't much of an issue. It is actually quite a tranquil life style where one can't find in city living.

Besides the stable and garden, there are other farms for animals like cows, sheep, chicken and some others like vegetable and fruit plantations. Every morning, residents around the area can go there to buy fresh eggs, vegetables and fruits.

Of course, living in an area like this has its disadvantages and one of them is the rapid temperature fluctuation - it can be very sunny (nice and warm) in a minute and then it starts to get extremely windy and rains heavily (cold and freezing). Thus most people who live there will always bring along a jacket or sweater in case the weather starts to change. During winter, it is usually in minus degree and snow will pile up to the point where cars can't be driven out to the roads until it is cleared.

Living in the country may not be for everyone but if one seeks a quiet and serene life style with less disturbance and in a slower pace, then it can be very pleasant.

This sounds like the perfect mix between city countryside and city life. Would you live there again?
Can you ride horses yourself? I've never tried it.

I don't consider the fluctuating weather to be a disadvantage really, except for maybe the snow

p0ckyy said:

houses would literally be right next to the beach, small road/highway a few steps away from the house, and then mountains.

This sounds great, did you enjoy it while you were there?
Sep 7, 2021 4:13 AM

Oct 2010
I live in the countryside, it's kinda shitty and the people are dumb but that's the same everywhere, it's good because I lave a sorta big yard and I can party and get drunk like crazy and no one will know.
Sep 7, 2021 4:18 AM

Apr 2020
Yeah in Japan at my grandparent's house
Good times, haven't been there since jan last year because covid :(
Sep 7, 2021 4:37 AM

Jul 2015
Catalano said:
I live in the countryside, it's kinda shitty and the people are dumb but that's the same everywhere, it's good because I lave a sorta big yard and I can party and get drunk like crazy and no one will know.

Yeah I don't really understand the people who are like "countryside neighbours are nosy". Town's neighbour can look directly into your bedroom or bathroom lmao, there's no privacy, you don't have a garden to chill or grow some food, you can't listen to music, play music, or even walk without pissing off the neighbour downstairs, and the rain is so disgusting you feel like taking a napalm shower when you get home. Most women wore a hijab in St-Denis because they were afraid someone they'd know would see them without it but ok, townsfolk aren't nosy at all.
Went back to the countryside quickly af. I can deal with being in a govt-forgotten place better than with being an ant.
DeathkoSep 7, 2021 4:40 AM
Sep 7, 2021 4:59 AM
Jul 2018
Hydre_Ito said:

_Maneki-Neko_ said:

OMG I can see how annoying that would be. Being gossiped is one of my worst fears! especially because I'm self-conscious.

But if you have a wide social circle in the city, wouldn't people gossip about you anyway?

You have some of those people everywhere, but I heard / experienced that is extreme on the countryside. They all know each other and especially older people don't seem to have better things to do in their lives than stalking their neighbours.

That friend didn't even dare, or felt bad, to go out of the house in summer with hotpants, because the old hags lurked at their windows to control her clothes. Then she told her mom that her daughter is 'looking like a whore again'.

And don't get my started with lgbt people... they almost all run away from the countryside asap.

I mean... we found that one situation hilarious tho. Our Discord group is called the orgy since then lol

Deathko said:
Catalano said:

Yeah I don't really understand the people who are like "countryside neighbours are nosy". Town's neighbour can look directly into your bedroom or bathroom lmao, there's no privacy, you don't have a garden to chill or grow some food, you can't listen to music, play music, or even walk without pissing off the neighbour downstairs, and the rain is so disgusting you feel like taking a napalm shower when you get home. Most women wore a hijab in St-Denis because they were afraid someone they'd know would see them without it but ok, townsfolk aren't nosy at all.
Went back to the countryside quickly af. I can deal with being in a govt-forgotten place better than with being an ant.

I mean, that's what jalousies are made for and even if they could look into your room, most people just don't care who you are and what you are doing.
removed-userSep 7, 2021 5:05 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What if Burger is on a stick?

Dragevard - Feb 10, 2022

14 by DesuMaiden »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » school uniform or no school uniform which is better? ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 21

95 by DesuMaiden »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - 4 hours ago

15 by deg »»
6 minutes ago

» I got spooked by a water bottle

tsukareru - 1 hour ago

1 by DesuMaiden »»
8 minutes ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

13 by DesuMaiden »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.