Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Case Study of Vanitas
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 20, 2021 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Looks like another case to deal with in their supernatural world. This even involves some underground exploration.

Pretty chill episode actually. Vanitas and Noe may not be the best of friends but they were on the same page this episode. Oh and Ronlad is kinda amusing to watch for his personality until he got serious.
Aug 20, 2021 9:55 AM

Jul 2017
After all the relaxation fun that is last episode, it's back to more supernatural stuff, and Lord Ruthven acknowledges both Noe and Vanitas's efforts.

The curse-bearers sure are a nuisance to those in power, espeically Luca, his true position being the Grand Duke Oriflamme that's 2nd only to the vampire Queen. But the most important pointer is Vanitas, his Blue Moon Clan, and what does The Book of Vanitas entail...and that chance is booted out due to Vanitas's negligence on manner, but for a reason to get his answer.

To that effect, both Atlus Paris and the human realm both didn't appreciate Vanitas and Noe in their negotiation and mission, but the other fellow vampires led them to the Church's anti-vampire unit, the Chasseurs. And finding this illusive hidden group is like finding a needle in a haystack to investigate the vampire disappearances.

The 3rd person on the watch, 6th Paladin of 12 Chasseur captains Roland Fortis, he's such an amusing captain with his joking behaviour and personality. Alas, once his true colours show...he's a totally different being altogether, and their powers are to be feared.

Would be interesting to see the Chasseurs' battle and the comparison to Charlatan's for that matter.
Aug 20, 2021 9:58 AM

Jul 2020
Episode got me good with rolands sudden shift goddamn!
Check out my channel @Criticiza on Youtube to watch my vids ;)

Aug 20, 2021 10:04 AM

Jun 2019
Man... Vanitas and his manipulative words nearly got them all killed there. What an airhead... LMAO. Well, now they got some clue about the situation. Also, found that there's something that is called Dham which is Half Vampire and half-human. And, an anti-Vampire faction called Chasseurs.

Investigating through all that they reach the Catacombs and now they're in trouble. Vanitas is trapped and Noe is in trouble.
Aug 20, 2021 10:28 AM

Feb 2021
Vincent and Gilbert? Was that a reference to Pandora Hearts?

Anyways, I really enjoyed this episode. Especially the scene with Ruthven. He's overpowered lol.
Aug 20, 2021 10:36 AM

Oct 2019
Aritabias said:
Vincent and Gilbert? Was that a reference to Pandora Hearts?

Yes, that was a reference to Pandora Hearts.
Pandora Hearts is the best manga ever made and deserves an anime reboot
Aug 20, 2021 10:47 AM

Oct 2017
They fell right into Vanitas' trap, Vanitas got the info he needed. So the queen is also cursed eh, curious to know more about this. Thou looks like that'll have to wait as this took a turn in another direction. The chasseurs were introduced and I can already see that they are gonna be one of those annoying af people with fake/shallow justice. Specially this Roland guy.
Aug 20, 2021 11:02 AM

Jan 2021
Unexpected mood change, damn, it's just that Vanitas hasn't held back one bit hahah. Very interesting though, how the queen is dead?

What was missing, the typical church crazies
Roland has a baby face, but he's not someone to be underestimated 0.0

Drugs are bad guys....
I hope they can escape from there, Roland is crazy .-.
Aug 20, 2021 11:03 AM
Sep 2015
The white-hair dhampir is totally have a crush on Noe, and it excites me!
Aug 20, 2021 11:09 AM

Sep 2015
Roland finally appeared!!

This was a moment I have been waiting for, and the first part of it did not disappoint. Hopefully the second part will be just as faithful. I loved the choice of Roland's voice actor, he fits him perfectly in my opinion.

The meeting with Ruthven was great as well, although it did irk me a little that they made Jeanne seem a bit pathetic during that scene (her trying to grab at Vanitas and falling did not appear in the manga, at least in my physical copy).
Vanitas' taunting was well executed though.

Aug 20, 2021 11:22 AM

May 2021
Definitely seems like Vanitas has some history with the Chasseurs or connections to the Church. Can't see them getting out of this situation without someone having to save them or perhaps we'll see Vanitas in action?
Aug 20, 2021 1:01 PM

Nov 2019
We got a hint of Noé's parenthood, introduction of chasseurs and dhams, Vanitas past clues, Pandora Hearts reference, perilous and secretive situation of the queen, some detective work - all in one episode, and no wonder why it felt like 5 minutes...

Point to consider, this is one time Vanitas doesn't want Noé to get involved with. Roland's introduction was on point. Next episode has the potential to destroy the only one thing about the adaptation that bugs me:
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Aug 20, 2021 1:13 PM
May 2020
Kinda lost what happend at the end, can someone explain shortly?
Aug 20, 2021 1:15 PM

May 2020
Vanitas pulled a real fast one, to get the information he wanted on the queen but things too get escalated there.
They are back in human world for now, and here too investigating a new case Vanitas and Noé are now trapped in a labyrinth, with that new guy didn't looking to show them any mercy.
Softhenic03Dec 4, 2021 1:57 AM
Aug 20, 2021 1:24 PM

Sep 2017
Anyone know Roland's VA? sounds super familiar.

Anyway, totally lost it at Vanitas introducing them as Vincent and Gilbert
Aug 20, 2021 1:30 PM
Feb 2021
rubybestgirl said:
Anyone know Roland's VA? sounds super familiar.

Anyway, totally lost it at Vanitas introducing them as Vincent and Gilbert

Roland's VA is Kengo Kawanishi
Aug 20, 2021 1:58 PM

Sep 2015
Plstce said:
Kinda lost what happend at the end, can someone explain shortly?

Vanitas and Noé came back, sneaked a peek at some documents of Orlok's that said vampires had disappeared.
Dante, Johann and Riche appeared to tell them that it's the Chasseurs, specifically those who fights vampires.
Vanitas and Noé go into the catacombs with stolen clothes from Chasseurs, and Vanitas seems to know the way. They end up meeting Roland, one of the twelve Paladins of the Chasseurs. He ends up getting suspicious of them, tricks Vanitas and imprisons him. He uses a special flashbang on Noé to see if he's a vampire, and it proves effective. It's also important to note that Roland thinks the worst of them since Noé is a vampire, and it is heavily implied that he believes they killed the Chasseurs they took their clothes from.

I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for, but I hope it cleared things up. :)
Aug 20, 2021 2:13 PM

Jan 2020
Shit's about to go down, y'all.

Could it be that Luca is next to the throne, which is why he didn't react to the queen getting insulted? Noe didn't react either, I wonder why too.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Aug 20, 2021 2:21 PM

Apr 2018
Lord Ruthven was pretty scary this episode. Vanitas' insulting words about the queen really made him furious. Seems like the queen is dead..
Some supernatural stuff again. Vampires abducted..
It's time to go after the Chasseurs.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Aug 20, 2021 2:22 PM
Jul 2021
I don’t like the animation in this episode, but I enjoy it.
( this is an opinion )
Aug 20, 2021 2:29 PM

Apr 2018
samashi20 said:
Noe didn't react either, I wonder why too.

Noe was raised away from most of vampire society so he wouldn't have some of the expected mannerisms and reactions. I think in his case it was mostly just that.

Cathen99 said:

This was a moment I have been waiting for, and the first part of it did not disappoint. Hopefully the second part will be just as faithful. I loved the choice of Roland's voice actor, he fits him perfectly in my opinion.

Ahh I've found my people. Loved every second of Roland's introduction and kengo kawanishi did a great job as well. His voice is very, how to put this, /\/\/\/\, you know? Which is not at all what I was expecting but i'm digging it =D
Aug 20, 2021 2:56 PM

Mar 2021
I admire how Vanitas never hesitates to put himself into danger just to achieve his goal; to expose the current condition of the Queen. Meanwhile, I had a bad feeling about that Chasseur when Vanitas and Noe encountered him in the catacombs. Anyway, I can't wait to watch the next episode. I hope Vanitas and Noe can overcome this trial 😩
Aug 20, 2021 3:06 PM

Apr 2010
I am SO HAPPY that they combined more manga chapters into one! It makes the anime so much better! More events and action much faster! Just perfect :)
Forever hold this heart that I will give to you
Forever I will live for you
Aug 20, 2021 3:27 PM

Apr 2015
That was quite the mood changer from last week and Vanitas managed to get some Vampire blood boiling and this time not Jeanne when Vanitas makes her blush :P The condition of the queen is pretty bad and seems Vanitas suspicion was correct, even if he didn't get a straight answer.

Roland's introduction was pretty funny, but I had a feeling there was something about him. He definitely took both Vanitas and Noe by surprise and especially Vanitas let is guard down too quickly. They are in trouble now.
Aug 20, 2021 3:42 PM

Mar 2020
Laplace_kun said:
We got a hint of Noé's parenthood, introduction of chasseurs and dhams, Vanitas past clues, Pandora Hearts reference, perilous and secretive situation of the queen, some detective work - all in one episode, and no wonder why it felt like 5 minutes...

Point to consider, this is one time Vanitas doesn't want Noé to get involved with. Roland's introduction was on point. Next episode has the potential to destroy the only one thing about the adaptation that bugs me:
The author said that she was looking forward to
. I just hope They deliever that one properly
234MannanAug 20, 2021 10:29 PM
Aug 20, 2021 3:48 PM
Jul 2018
Vanitas was even planning something with that situation with the queen who doesn't monster her whole body but showed her arm that it's really tense all this.

This show surprises every episode and every moment.
Aug 20, 2021 3:51 PM

Nov 2019
234Mannan said:
Laplace_kun said:

The author said that she was looking forward to roland vs noe. I just hope They deliever that one properly

Put
under spoiler brackets, just saying. But that gives me hopes!
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Aug 20, 2021 4:02 PM

Nov 2014
The Chasseurs has finally arrived along with Roland, finally, I have been waiting *w* Had a hard time figuring out who voiced him, but finally found out.

Hoo boy, the next arc will be interesting for sure ~
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 20, 2021 4:07 PM

Sep 2017
Ya some pretty good developments this ep. The scene where Vanitas was accusing the Queen was really well directed. You could def tell he was paying close attention to Luca's reaction. Also interested to see what this Paladin guy can do.
Aug 20, 2021 5:05 PM

Jan 2020
I don't really like roland (yet) but it was an interesting episode and I like the change of setting from what we're normally used to

Aug 20, 2021 5:34 PM
Mar 2021
Finally Roland appear!! My second most favorite character in The Case Study of Vanitas!!

As expected Yuki Kajiura is also excited in her twitter because Roland is her favorite character.

Can't wait to see Roland in action next week!!
Aug 20, 2021 7:12 PM

Dec 2020
new blonde character ! he's pretty! has some few loose screws in his head but they were gonna he besties! though of course that was too good to be true.

luca in this ep tho D:
Aug 20, 2021 7:37 PM

Jun 2019
Good episode. Wasn’t expecting Vanitas and the Lord to have such a quick falling out, but it was well within his character and we gained some world-building through vampire norms and what is going on with the queen. The Paladin and his group adds an interesting aspect, although somewhat cliché with there being 12 captains (I wonder where I’ve heard that before).
Aug 20, 2021 8:33 PM

Jun 2021
Great animation, great BGM, story was OK, but hopefully the new character(s) are intersting.
Aug 20, 2021 9:36 PM

Jun 2014
Vanitas got Ruthven PISSSSED off with what he said about the queen. What a madlad, I would have shit my pants in that moment.

This new character Roland seemed like a goofball at first but he caught onto Vanitas and Noe's act. Their situation isn't looking good.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 20, 2021 11:14 PM

Apr 2015
"I am Vincent, and this is Gilbert."
Lmaooo that totally threw me off, I didn't expect there to be a Pandora Hearts reference....I want a PH anime re-adaptation so badly T^T

But wow, that scene in Ruthven's office was splendidly animated, especially with Yuki Kajiura's OST ramping up the tension. Vanitas sure knows how to provoke people to get the information he wants. Aaaaand the church groups are the bad guys again huh? Anime sure love flipping religious symbols on its head lol. Roland seems like an interesting enough guy, although I find it weird that Vanitas somehow didn't suspect that Roland was leading them to a trap. Unless maybe he wanted this to happen to quickly get in contact with the head of the Chasseurs?
I'm betting their best way out of the situation is for Vanitas to reveal his true identity to the Chasseurs. Good start to a new arc, I feel like this arc is the start of where the mysteries will really begin to unravel (hopefully).

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Aug 21, 2021 1:15 AM
Mar 2021
Blue_Maroon said:
Good episode. Wasn’t expecting Vanitas and the Lord to have such a quick falling out, but it was well within his character and we gained some world-building through vampire norms and what is going on with the queen. The Paladin and his group adds an interesting aspect, although somewhat cliché with there being 12 captains (I wonder where I’ve heard that before).

Many characters name most likely based on something like Joan of Arc (Jeanne), Count Orlok (Orlok),Lord Ruthven (Ruthven), Paladins of Charlemagne/Charlemagne's 12 peers (Roland), later on there will be part of story based on real event in France with character based on real life person in that event. The author said it's intentional to make people search what it's based on.
Aug 21, 2021 1:17 AM
Oct 2007
I'm pleasantly surprise that this series is holding up very well for me. Usually not my genre half of the time. The blend in is captivating even for a male watcher.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 21, 2021 2:33 AM

Sep 2015
elany said:
Cathen99 said:

Ahh I've found my people. Loved every second of Roland's introduction and kengo kawanishi did a great job as well. His voice is very, how to put this, /\/\/\/\, you know? Which is not at all what I was expecting but i'm digging it =D

Do you mean sing-songy? I am slightly confused, haha ^^" But yes, every second was perfect!
Aug 21, 2021 5:03 AM

Apr 2020
This episode was fucking amazing. Hearing again the names Vincent and Gilbert hit very hard, people who have read Pandora Hearts can probably understand!
Aug 21, 2021 5:55 AM

Nov 2013
Man... Vanitas always has me surprised lol!
First he "trash-talks the queen, even though I believe he's correct.
Then he tries to brake into the church but uses guards (who caught him red handed) instead lol.
And "we got lost" is probably the most LOL excuse when caught trespassing.
Aug 21, 2021 6:15 AM

Oct 2016
ROLAND!

Really great episode! They did the whole Vanitas and Ruthven scene fucking perfectly. The backgrounds this episode and just the overall directing was *chefs kiss*. Really looking forward to the next episode.
Aug 21, 2021 4:43 PM
Sep 2020
Omg Roland yes!!!! Also the ref to Gil and Vincent got me crying
Aug 21, 2021 9:07 PM

Oct 2008
oh no more trouble ahead!
looks like Roland is gonna be a pain in the butt and much worse he seems like a strong vamp hunter huh...
5/5.

Aug 21, 2021 11:23 PM
Oct 2017
Love the Pandora Hearts reference!! Pandora Hearts better get a reboot after this.
Anyway, great episode, but also whooo action and trouble ahead for the MCs! How are they gonna win this time? Guess we'll find out next xD

Aug 22, 2021 12:05 AM

Nov 2012
If her hand is indicative of the rest of her, I'd say the queen has long since expired.

I can't believe Vanitas fell for that act.
Aug 22, 2021 5:35 AM

Oct 2019
-AC9123 said:
Pandora Hearts better get a reboot after this.

Yes. Just yes. That requires a reboot.
Pandora Hearts is the best manga ever made and deserves an anime reboot
Aug 22, 2021 8:55 AM
Dec 2011
Wow! A lot of intense drama in this episode. Can't wait for the fight with the Chasseur!
Aug 22, 2021 10:22 AM
Nov 2020
This episode was really good, tension, mysteries and cuteness. So hyped for the next one as always.
Aug 22, 2021 11:06 AM

Mar 2017
So much to take in this ep... First of all, Lucius just becomes more and more mysterious with every appearance and I'm hella curious about his brother now. Second, I wonder why Vanitas knows the catacombs so well? And lastly, I knew Roland was gonna be an enemy but a part of me didn't want it to actually happen cause he seems awesome.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2021

126 by nikki05 »»
Apr 15, 10:30 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2021

242 by Sasutaschi »»
Apr 6, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2021

158 by wallus81 »»
Mar 25, 7:29 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2021

148 by wallus81 »»
Mar 24, 12:54 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Carte Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2021

350 by wallus81 »»
Mar 18, 4:24 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.