Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Case Study of Vanitas
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 6, 2021 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Vampire lord Ruthven has such an intimidating presence in this show. Holy shit, even his eyes gives off an intimidating presence just by looking at him.

It's hard to say exactly what his goals are but he's not a good idea to get on his bad side. I also kinda like how they detailed Noe's mental struggles this episode in terms of his characer.
Aug 6, 2021 8:41 AM

Jan 2021
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
Vampire lord Ruthven has such an intimidating presence in this show. Holy shit, even his eyes gives off an intimidating presence just by looking at him.

It's hard to say exactly what his goals are but he's not a good idea to get on his bad side. I also kinda like how they detailed Noe's mental struggles this episode in terms of his characer.
how have you seen this already? Do you watch it raw?:o
I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT
Aug 6, 2021 8:59 AM
Nov 2019
Haven’t see the episode yet but the official Twitter said Ruthven is voiced by Toshiyuki Morikawa and he was the one I imagined to voice the character while reading the manga so I’m really happy about that!!!
Aug 6, 2021 9:04 AM

Mar 2021
maxuju1 said:
Stark700 said:

how have you seen this already? Do you watch it raw?:o

He knows japanese or is a manga reader. I am a manga reader and usually watch raw

Aug 6, 2021 9:44 AM
Sep 2020
Yep I liked this ep, don’t have much time to talk abt it and definitely wasn’t my fav but enjoyed it :)
Aug 6, 2021 9:57 AM

Jul 2017
@maxuju1 the rule of every new MAL user: DO NOT question where that person watched said episodes. @meyve u got it right on the dot.

Vanitas and Jeanne caught up to Noe who almost was riled in by Charlatan, and this won't be the last that we'll see of these curse-bearer creators. But right now with the banquet, Vanitas, Noe and Domi does what they can with the inflicted...but whe it comes to the idea of salvation, both Vanitas and Noe have very different outlooks to save humanity turned into curse-bearers to the point of no return.

What a true enemy that both guys face against, the Queen's Fangs Veronica de Sade. But her time is cut short by Senate member Ruthven (Luca's uncle) who seeks clarification on what's going on, and the look on Vanitas's face is one of admonishment. With a fair bit of mannerism, the misunderstanding is resolved, and the true end goal of Noe seeking out the Book of Vanitas to learn about the people surrounding this book, not to pick sides on the vampires.

A really intriguing episode, this journey between Vanitas and Noe is really just getting started, not just to say of the journey since the start. This show indeed is getting better by the count.
Aug 6, 2021 9:57 AM

Jul 2020
The vampire lord guy is broken, nerf him asap. Seeing noe in a completely new light, not the bundle of joy I thought he was but an normal person with normal feelings and a bittersweet past. That internal dialogue he had noticing that he was shoving his own perceptions of vanitas onto him was interesting and their end conversation was jokes, filled with nuance and the comedy of the bell did not dissapoint, what was said we will not know lmao. I was rolling when vanitas whistled at domi ripping up her skirt lmao, noe better watch out!
LeviathanHWDAug 6, 2021 10:19 AM
Check out my channel @Criticiza on Youtube to watch my vids ;)

Aug 6, 2021 10:03 AM
Jun 2020
THEYRE SO GAY AT THE END SMILING LIKE THAT AND WATCHING THE SUNRISE TOGETHER AND SAYING THEY CHOOSE TO STAY TOGETHER AAAA also very cool episode tho and i hate when ppl keep attacking vanitas bc he's a human like bitch he's trying to save u all wtf stop. but yeah i love their gayness each time i watch the op it gets gayer. i love it. if anyone's wondering, i watch it on aniplus on tv. they release new eps saturdays 12:30am philippine time for me so i watched it with eng subs yes
Aug 6, 2021 10:10 AM

Oct 2018
I'll have to drop this cartoon.

We had 3 seconds of Jeanne this episode.

THREE SECONDS.

umaruchan26 said:
THEYRE SO GAY AT THE END SMILING LIKE THAT AND WATCHING THE SUNRISE TOGETHER AND SAYING THEY CHOOSE TO STAY TOGETHER AAAA also very cool episode tho and i hate when ppl keep attacking vanitas bc he's a human like bitch he's trying to save u all wtf stop. but yeah i love their gayness each time i watch the op it gets gayer. i love it. if anyone's wondering, i watch it on aniplus on tv. they release new eps saturdays 12:30am philippine time for me so i watched it with eng subs yes

Noé's going to suck something else pretty soon...
PhosphophyllitaAug 6, 2021 10:13 AM
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Aug 6, 2021 10:21 AM

Oct 2020
umaruchan26 said:
as I thought the last scene would definitely be a meal for Fujoshi.
Snow_dropindo99Aug 6, 2021 10:24 AM
Aug 6, 2021 10:26 AM

Oct 2017
Ruthven seems like a nice guy, he even took Vanitas and Noé under his wing so other vampires can't harm them. Vanitas and Noé moment at the end was nice. Also we finally know what Domi's grandpa and Noé sensei wanted him to do.
Aug 6, 2021 10:29 AM

May 2021
lmao i did not like the weird ass bollywood background music. ehhhhhhhhehhhhh. not that i have anything against it, i just dont think it fits with this anime n its aesthetic
also, can we talk ab how hot the teacher is? goddamn
honyaxAug 6, 2021 10:33 AM
Aug 6, 2021 10:33 AM
Jun 2020
Snow_dropindo99 said:
umaruchan26 said:

yeah man friends don't look at each other like that 🥲
Aug 6, 2021 10:39 AM

Oct 2020
umaruchan26 said:
Snow_dropindo99 said:

it means you also admit Naruto and Sasuke are also gayness because their relationship is very similar like Vanitas and Noe.
Aug 6, 2021 10:41 AM
Jun 2020
Snow_dropindo99 said:
umaruchan26 said:

it means you also admit Naruto and Sasuke are also gayness because their relationship is very similar like Vanitas and Noe.

idk i don't watch naruto
Aug 6, 2021 10:43 AM

Jul 2011
Basically in less than 30(?) minutes a vampire may be a lost case, but in days can curable.

A piece of information that im curious is how a human hater like Veronica adopted the Oiran style.

Is good to see that Rengoku found a job in another anime.
Aug 6, 2021 10:46 AM
Jun 2020
Phosphophyllita said:
I'll have to drop this cartoon.

We had 3 seconds of Jeanne this episode.

THREE SECONDS.

umaruchan26 said:

Noé's going to suck something else pretty soon...
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO (a lot of o's bc of the min :P)
Aug 6, 2021 10:53 AM

Jan 2021
Hmm, as usual, they won't admit it, but I know they get along better than anyone else („• ֊ •„)

I felt this episode like it 2 minutes long :o
I love the character designs AAA
Aug 6, 2021 11:14 AM

Jul 2017
the most boring episode yet
Aug 6, 2021 11:17 AM

Mar 2017
Every week my love for this anime grows! I like how Noe realised that he was placing unfair expectations on Vanitas, especially since Vanitas has been clear and honest about the fact that he'll do things how he wants from the very start.

I think this episode highlighted how self-destructive Vanitas is during the scene where Ruthven asked if he killed the little girl and he simply said that he had but didn't try to give any explanation... it's almost like he 𝘸𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘴 to be hurt/ killed.

Hope this anime becomes more popular in Japan since I really really want to see more seasons!
Aug 6, 2021 11:20 AM
Mar 2021
I am really satisfied with this episode.
Veronica's laugh make me laugh too, I was like "What's wrong with her" XD
Noe is really handsome with that sunlight~
I really like Noe's "conversation" with sensei. This type of thing often happen with people, they have expectation and ideal on their own and feel betrayed on their own when it's not how they expect it.

I really like Vanitas and Noe's dynamics. They can get along well definitely because Noe is like this, at this point of the story, he doesn't like Vanitas but try to understand him. Vanitas can't even say "no" to him because Noe's words throw him off.

Natsuki Hanae really nail every emotion of Vanitas even the subtle one. I can't wait to see more of Vanitas with Hanae's voice.

And finally everyone know what's the meaning of the scene in ending song (Noe try to grab Vanitas hand).
Alice0006Aug 6, 2021 11:28 AM
Aug 6, 2021 11:22 AM

Mar 2014
IT'S VANITAS FRIDAY

Loved this episode and how well it was adapted. We're starting to see who Vanitas is as a person, slowly. The final scene is one of my favorites, and I really liked seeing it animated ;_; next episode will be soooo much fun I can't wait for it!
Aug 6, 2021 11:23 AM

Mar 2020
Loved it once again! Okay this episode is kinda tied to the 5th one i suppose. Especially after the last minutes which showed their dynamics in such a great manner and give us an insight to vanitas character like he wants to get hurt purposely...(Vanitas insights are always the best parts of the story)
NGL
The music was just amazing as always as well!! It fits so perfectly with all the scenes and the aesthetics!
On 2nd thought it might be the best episode till now for me considering that was one of my fav parts in the manga and it was adapted so well! Yeah best episode for me yet!
Edit i forgot to mention the animation. Did it just improve i presume? Because that was some gorgoeus work! And fluidity too!
Also veronica is damn op and annoying i suppose. I didnt wonder about it while reading the mnaga but now i am wondering whether jeanne is stronger then her or not.
234MannanAug 6, 2021 11:59 AM
Aug 6, 2021 11:26 AM

Mar 2020
honyax said:
lmao i did not like the weird ass bollywood background music. ehhhhhhhhehhhhh. not that i have anything against it, i just dont think it fits with this anime n its aesthetic
Lol u are the first one with that complain. There is a reason why the queen of music yuki kaijura is invloved(Considering the story is not a lucky to go, tragic and is pretty dark making yuki the perfect choice)...Bollywood LMAOOO thats like comparing crap with gold...
Aug 6, 2021 11:32 AM
Sep 2015
So this is the episode when they stop being hetero ;)

Anyway, Ruthven is such a DILF vampire!
Aug 6, 2021 11:40 AM

May 2018
Between Noe and Ruthven my nosebleeds won't stop! They're both my vampire husbandos.

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Aug 6, 2021 11:46 AM

May 2021
234Mannan said:
honyax said:
Lol u are the first one with that complain. There is a reason why the queen of music yuki kaijura is invloved(Considering the story is not a lucky to go, tragic and is pretty dark making yuki the perfect choice)...Bollywood LMAOOO thats like comparing crap with gold...
HAHAHAH PLS i dont have anything against yuki as i think she has done some brilliant work overall but it’s just that particular song that sounds so wrong to me💀 literally reminds me of bollywood. it’s just my opinion tho(;
Aug 6, 2021 11:52 AM

Mar 2020
honyax said:
234Mannan said:
HAHAHAH PLS i dont have anything against yuki as i think she has done some brilliant work overall but it’s just that particular song that sounds so wrong to me💀 literally reminds me of bollywood. it’s just my opinion tho(;
Oh i see. I guess i feel bad now. But Bollywood is indian media right? Or maybe central asian if i recall and i had a very bad experience with their forms of entertainment..So i guess i kinda lost it considering yuki is one of my fav parts of the show and she is literally a queen in my eyes overall..in anycase i apologize
Aug 6, 2021 11:59 AM

Jan 2020
Every episode is as interesting as the previous one. I wish this was a long cour because I'm enjoying this to my heart's content. Great episode, went by fast.

Someone explain to me why Noe is so pretty.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Aug 6, 2021 11:59 AM

Mar 2021
Oh no fujoshis are coming again

Aug 6, 2021 12:02 PM

May 2021
234Mannan said:
honyax said:
Oh i see. I guess i feel bad now. But Bollywood is indian media right? Or maybe central asian if i recall and i had a very bad experience with their forms of entertainment..So i guess i kinda lost it considering yuki is one of my fav parts of the show and she is literally a queen in my eyes overall..in anycase i apologize
no need to apologize, i totally understand why you would write all that<3 yea, bollywood is indian media if i remember correctly. thanku for expressing your opinion tho, i love it when people argue with me. gets me excited lmao. yuki is talented af, love her voice.
Aug 6, 2021 12:17 PM
Mar 2021
Personally this show has been all over the place with no actual plot or story progression. I have no clue what is going on anymore
Aug 6, 2021 12:38 PM

Apr 2018
This was such a great episode. We also saw Veronica's face and damn, she's just way too beautiful but a bit too high classy. Noé got some character development here. And Dom was looking great as always. Vanita's also a leg guy after he saw Dom cutting her dress LOL.

A great fight, great dialogues, visuals and what more.

The conversation in the end was beautiful. Noé will do his best in order to help and understand Vanitas.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Aug 6, 2021 1:05 PM

Sep 2015
I'm happy they bought back the first scene in the manga and used it at another point in time, it fit in well!

All in all, I really liked this episode, especially the "what is salvation" scene and their argument in the end. In my opinion, Noé's and Vanitas' relationship is the best part of the series, and seeing these scenes animated is a joy. ^^

I'm looking forward to the next episode and the next arc... It will be very interesting to read about people's reaction to the things to come!
Aug 6, 2021 1:06 PM
Feb 2021
BlichoBoy said:
Basically in less than 30(?) minutes a vampire may be a lost case, but in days can curable.

A piece of information that im curious is how a human hater like Veronica adopted the Oiran style.

Is good to see that Rengoku found a job in another anime.

It's not a matter of time, it's a matter of degree. Some people are just too far gone. And I think it was mentioned earlier that vampire culture and human culture develop in parallel to one another, so it's not that odd.
Aug 6, 2021 1:09 PM

Sep 2015
DaPlane said:
Personally this show has been all over the place with no actual plot or story progression. I have no clue what is going on anymore

It's a VERY character-driven story. It's all building up for things to come. However, if you're willing to stick around, I believe the next few arcs will have a more linear plot overall.
Aug 6, 2021 1:21 PM

Mar 2020
DaPlane said:
well the writing style of the story is pretty unique if u are familiar with jun that is. Other then that its highly character driven and plot is basically just started its not as disjointed as ph though which can give u a headache but its not too simple as well and the threads are joined with each reveal for the most part but for now it only focuses on the characters.
Aug 6, 2021 1:22 PM

Mar 2020
meyve said:
Oh no fujoshis are coming again
Well i dont mind them here though(Considering the dynamics between vanitas and noe and how the relationship between those 2 is one of the best things about vanitas oh i mean the unique relation between those 2 as jun implied that they are not friends or a couple but something in between in other words they make each other whole by feeling the voids of one another which was also a hint in the ending song i mean its one of the lyrics as well so dont get the wrong idea fujoshies ) but i hope the newcomers dont get the wrong idea about them being a bl couple because that would be troublesome
234MannanAug 6, 2021 1:33 PM
Aug 6, 2021 1:29 PM
Mar 2021
DaPlane said:

The story direction is actually stated in first episode. Vanitas want to heal curse bearer, that's why he search curse bearer like Thomas in episode 2. But sometimes he got disturbed like when Jeanne and Luca confront him or when Domi took Noe's away (Vanitas want Noe to help him).
Next episode, Vanitas will continue search curse bearer. And more mystery about the characters and the world will be revealed too.

It's like Vanitas and Noe's journey to search curse bearer while discovering new things about them, other characters and the world on the way. Vanitas also search for why this curse bearer appear that's why he ask about it to Amelia in episode 3. All of this are important for the plot. The author is more focused on the characters and the world so maybe sometimes people will confused with the direction of story, even sometimes I forget after many chapters of long arc when I read the manga, "Wait, what's Vanitas purpose again?" But it's actually really clear if I remember again.
Alice0006Aug 6, 2021 7:49 PM
Aug 6, 2021 1:31 PM

Nov 2019
This episode is one of the most important ones because it gives great hints about the real nature of Vanitas as a character, and I would suggest anime-onlies who are clueless about the plot till now to have their doubts cleared immediately before the roller-coaster to follow totally confuses them.

Initially I thought Domi won't be so hawt in anime, but this episode, again, proved me wrong. Cue Vani whistling. She also had her Aqua moment XD. Lord Ruthven is looking good already with that voice and design.

The last scene is iconic. It starts the journey of Noé trying to see Vanitas in not necessarily a better light, but in a "human" way. On that tower, it makes the audience wonder "Who is the real child between the two?" Also, big takeaways:

1. Vanitas apparently doesn't care about his life
2. Noé has a nature to see the best sides of other people
3. Naenia - what is it and why it's in Charlatan?
4. There is apparently a cursed stage beyond which vampires cannot be saved
5. Domi has some nice thighs
Laplace_kunAug 6, 2021 2:14 PM
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Aug 6, 2021 2:51 PM

Apr 2015
Vanitas whistling when Domi ripped her dress in two so that she could walk better, not gonna lie, I would do too. She got some fine legs.

Damn, that was barely 5 seconds of Jeanne.. Gimme more of her please!!

It was nice to understand a bit better on how Noe feels about vanitas. He doesn't particularly like him, but is fascinated about Vanitas being the human that he is, with the powers he possess. The talk at that clock tower was great, now I only wish I knew what was said when the bells started to move.
Aug 6, 2021 3:27 PM

Jun 2020
Morikawa voicing the character with the best character design I've seen thus far in the show? Sign me the fuck up!

I was skeptical about this show ever since starting it, but things seem to be about ready to kick into high gear from now on and I'm totally stoked for it. Also, reading through this thread has further convinced me to get started on the manga.
Aug 6, 2021 3:50 PM
Jul 2018
Noé's true name revealed by the teacher is already something interesting this teacher is very mysterious in every moment he appears in Noé's memory.
Aug 6, 2021 4:28 PM

Apr 2010
I have to check manga twice as I didn't remember this course of evetns :D
Forever hold this heart that I will give to you
Forever I will live for you
Aug 6, 2021 5:18 PM

Jun 2019
Ok, things are cooking up a bit now.

I like how the relationship between Vanitas and Noe has become “I will do what I want” even if they don’t neccessarily “like” each other. It makes things more interesting and less conventional. The Ruthven seems like he will make things interesting too given that he has a very odd agenda for a man with such power.

I guess they are just not explaining what happened between Vanitas and Jeanne when she was sucking him dry (innuendo intended). All of a sudden he appears to save the day before the powered up vampire Jeanne despite having lost a bunch of blood. Maybe they’ll talk about it later, idk.
Aug 6, 2021 5:19 PM

Feb 2017
this show isnt doing anything for me. im only watching bc vampires but the characters and plot are so bleh

placeholder text
Aug 6, 2021 5:47 PM

Aug 2019
A meh episode overall. Only things of note are Lord Ruthven's appearance and Vanitas and Noe's scene at the end. I'm hoping for some clarification later on for what happened after Jeanne finished drinking Vanitas's blood two episodes ago.
Aug 6, 2021 5:50 PM

Jul 2017
I preferred the 4th and 5th episodes to this one, but nonetheless, a very good episode overall. A little budget with the frames at times but that's to be expected in the middle of a show sometimes, at least the content was very good and it was nice to be introduced to Ruthven and the whole scene at the end was well-conceived too, really kicking off the journey from here.
Aug 6, 2021 6:20 PM

Jan 2020
Good episode. The soundtracks really stood out and this was a nice way to end off the first half of the first season.

That whole scene with vanitas and noe at the end kind of gave me season finale vibes which was pretty interesting but I'm looking forward to next week

Aug 6, 2021 7:19 PM

May 2021
I kind of liked how they developed both Noe and Vanitas character here, mostly in the perspective of each other, it stalled a little and it was overly expositive in some sorts though. I also loved how they used the light and the music here, while it wasnt anything revolutionary it felt tangible

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2021

126 by nikki05 »»
Apr 15, 10:30 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2021

242 by Sasutaschi »»
Apr 6, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2021

158 by wallus81 »»
Mar 25, 7:29 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2021

148 by wallus81 »»
Mar 24, 12:54 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Carte Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2021

350 by wallus81 »»
Mar 18, 4:24 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.