Forum Settings
Forums

(REVISED) LIST OF ANIME WITH ACTUAL ROMANCE (Last Updated November 2023) + Alphabetical Spreadsheet

New
May 21, 2020 10:57 AM

Jul 2017
since my niga @changelog has been out of action for quite a while, I've decided to continue on his legacy with the updated spreadsheet from the original post.

Note on suggestions:I really do recommend if you have anything not listed and/or changes to series' already listed, then please do feel free to suggest them and I will add them to the list

I have noticed that quite a bit of entires have not been updated, I tired my best to add all that I can remember
LINK TO SPREADSHEET

PLEASE READ ALL THE INFORMATION BELOW BEFORE SUGGESTING (as I have made some personal edits to the original post)

changelog said:

READ ENTIRE POST, PLEASE!

Introduction
Welcome to my romance anime list. This is a list of anime that contain actual romance. My definition of an anime that contains "actual romance" is one that succeeds in exploring an actual romantic relationship. This includes anime that highlights romantic relationships between characters, such as Sword Art Online. In this case, the relationship is between characters Kazuto Kirigaya (Kirito) and Asuna Yuuki.

On the other hand, anime that tend to be focused around drama, slice-of-lice, and comedy usually do not qualify for this list. The romance in these shows often takes the backseat. It is hinted throughout but never taken seriously, or is taken somewhat seriously near the end. An example of this is Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso. While the anime has a romance tag, the show is more about the character's struggles regarding music. The romance is not prevalent and it fails to explore a romantic relationship.

NOTE: I've taken a look at the list and realized that some of these entires have a lot less romance than entailed, so do not go into this list thinking each entry will excel in romance. From the entries here that I've seen at least, I can say that most of them have at least a moment or two of good romantic scenes in them.

Requesting Additions
Before making a suggestion, make sure to check if the title isn't already on the spreadsheet. Most titles will be in their Japanese names (as titled on MAL) but some with more common English names are presented as such (which was leftover from the previous spreadsheet that I was too lazy to change)

If the title is either shounen-ai/shoujo-ai/yuri/yaoi, then please indicate somewhere in the suggestion. If the show also has any notable information like "romance progresses more in the 2nd season" then please also note that as well.

In order to request an addition to this list, simply leave a message stating the following information:
Please do not PM me or leave a comment on my profile.

Anime Name
      MAL Link
      How Far Does the Romance Go?
      Do The Protagonists Kiss?
      Any Other Relevant Information? (optional)

For example, if you want the addition of the anime Sword Art Online, you would leave a message saying:

Anime Name
Sword Art Online

MAL Link (Please do not hyperlink this)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/11757/Sword_Art_Online?q=sword%20art%20online

How far does the romance go?
The romance goes quite far. The protagonists eventually do things a couple would do, such as holding hands and going on dates.

Do the protagonists kiss?
Yes, they do.

Any other relevant information
The main focus of the anime is action and adventure while the romance is a subplot.
There are multiple episodes dedicated to the romance.

Deviations from this format are okay. The important thing is that the message and information is clear in order for there not to be any misunderstandings.

Suggesting Changes
If you notice a typo, error, duplicated information or any kind of misrepresented information, simply leave a message stating what is wrong and how it should be fixed. There is no need to follow a format.

Please note that there are bound to be disagreements regarding what qualifies for this list. It is impossible for me to fact-check every submission so I just have to trust the word of the submitter. An anime might have a kiss scene, but is the kiss out of love is it coerced? I obviously cannot watch every anime to check this, so there might be some information on this list that is taken out of context. Therefore, if you feel as if something should not be on this list, please point it out to me and explain why it should not be on here, and I will do my best to consider your reasoning and apply appropriate changes.

Confirming Kiss Scnes
You will notice that there are some kiss scenes labelled as AWAITING CONFIRMATION. This is simply because the submitter could not provide this information for various reasons and it could not be verified online. If this is the case and you know whether or not the anime question has a kiss scene, simply leave a message and I will apply the appropriate changes (It will be changed to a YES or a NO).

If possible, linking a video or an image would greatly help in proving your case, but it is by no means necessary

Manga
This list is anime-exclusive. Manga do NOT qualify for this list. Please do not request the addition of any manga. If an anime's romance only gets serious in its manga, then it also does NOT qualify for this list. (If someone is good with excel that can make an adding entries type of script, then I'd be glad to do one for manga as well :P)

Short_CircutOct 31, 2023 8:13 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 21, 2020 7:09 PM
Mar 2016
You're doing God's work :)
Jun 2, 2020 8:07 PM

Jul 2017
EDIT: The list has now been improved to incorporate some tags now for the series. You may have noticed the manga list that is also up, where said tags originate from. I have decided to import than here as well

Notable Themes
Various tags designed to help filter out different aspects of a series that one might be looking for

Short_CircutMar 29, 2021 1:31 PM
Jun 11, 2020 2:06 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
This thread has been moved to the Anime Discussion board.
Jul 22, 2020 2:41 PM

Apr 2020
Hi there, just suggesting some changes:

Kokoro Connect - Does have kiss
Kokoro ga Sakebitagatterunda. - Don't have kiss
Kotonoha no Niwa - Don't have kiss

Will post if I remember something else.
I neither agree nor disagree, on the contrary.
Jul 22, 2020 3:11 PM

Jun 2020
No Kimi No na Wa? Eh, Also, how can someone be so cruel to suggest School Days to someone?

I said keep your hands on the table
Jul 22, 2020 3:30 PM

May 2009
Most of what I can think of has already been listed.

Casting a wide net for some suggestions I know of (including a couple I haven't seen):

The Tower of Druaga (has kiss)
Fate/Grand Order - First Order (no kiss, I think)
Asterisk War (almost-kiss, I think)
A Silent Voice / Koe no Katachi (no kiss?)
Lord Marksman and Vanadis (I think there's no kiss, but there's sucking snakebite venom out of someone)
Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo / My Wife is a Magical Girl / Bewitched Agnes [I have not watched this]
UFO Princess Valkyrie [I have not watched this]
Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle (has kiss)
Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse (no kiss, I think)
Phantasy Star 2 Online (no kiss, I think)
Uchiage Hanabi (movie) / Fireworks [I have not watched this]
Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor / Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records (has mouth-to-mouth contact that may or may not count as a kiss)

I know you said to PM you but I'll leave this post here because I can't write up a bunch of stuff for a PM at the moment, and this'll be here whenever I get around to doing that.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 22, 2020 8:40 PM

Jul 2017
@P-edro thanks for the changes, although 2 of them were already present :P

@Arin-san didn't realize that was not there lol

@GlennMagusHarvey actually I said to not PM but rather post here instead lmao.

In terms of the suggestions
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Fate/Grand Order - First Order (no kiss, I think)
Lord Marksman and Vanadis (I think there's no kiss, but there's sucking snakebite venom out of someone)
Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor / Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records (has mouth-to-mouth contact that may or may not count as a kiss)

I don't recall these ones having that much romance tbh, though I could be mistaken

GlennMagusHarvey said:
Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle (has kiss)
Uchiage Hanabi (movie) / Fireworks [I have not watched this]

these ones are already there lol

but the rest I have added, thanks!

@YossaRedMage Added the suggestions, thanks m8

Also added:

Ristorante Paradiso
Genji Monogatari
Giniro no Kami no Agito
Jul 23, 2020 6:32 AM

Oct 2017
Short_Circut said:
@GlennMagusHarvey actually I said to not PM but rather post here instead lmao.

LOL thanks Glenn. I PM'd him because of your post and then he tells me in PM to post here xD

Serves me right for not reading the OP properly I guess.

Short_Circut said:
@YossaRedMage Added the suggestions, thanks m8

Happy to contribute!

As for your questions regarding HSG and Takagi, I'll spoiler tag my response because the info could be seen as very light spoilers.

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jul 23, 2020 6:38 AM

May 2019
I entered in this topic "what is new? probably is another list of shoujo"

And then the 1st example was Kirito x Asuna.

You sure have my like.

Bookmarked already, thanks!
Jul 23, 2020 6:54 AM

Nov 2014
Oh hell yeah, I had lost the old spreadsheet a while back. Thanks, you're doing great stuff *thumbs up*
Jul 23, 2020 7:23 AM

Dec 2016
I have a question: What about animes where the characters do not get into an explicity relationship but one or bouth of them have felings for each other like Kobayashi san no Maid Dragon and Ueno-san wa Bukiyou?

Now, lets go to the contribution

N04L1TYJul 23, 2020 1:20 PM
heh.
Jul 23, 2020 8:06 AM
Jul 2018
Koi wa Ameagari no You ni
Definitely explores a romantic relationship
Jul 23, 2020 11:12 AM

Jul 2017
@YossaRedMage yes, read better next time :P

jkjk, in terms of those 2, I'll trust you and add HSG on there, but Takagi I'm still iffy about so I'll omit it for now (unless more people think it should be there than alrighty)

@Rob7 , @CureEtude no probs, though credit should also be due to the people who contributed to the original thread (which is quoted in the OP) lol

@operationvalkyri thanks for the rec.

@Bob-o-Dominador generally, the entries on the list would have some area of romantic progression without just being teases/bait all the time (like say 'Hibike, Euphonium!' for instance). So no, entires like Maid-dragon and from what I hear at least Ueno-san would not be on. Same thing with one of your recs, Violet Evergarden, don't really recall all that much romance wise tbh (though could be wrong). Though in saying that I do realize some entries like Black Lagoon are listed despite not really coming to anything (unless you look in between the lines) so would likely take that down if people want to

tbh, most of the....debateable shows that are there are carried over from the previous thread, so I didn't want to tamper with it too much, which is why if people don't feel like a specific entry should be on there I'm fine with removing it out unless I think the entry deserves to be there

As for your former question about sequels and whatnot, generally speaking only one entry per series, usually the first one unless the romance is way more prevalent in a sequel (like Tamako Love Story, Major S5, etc.). Or if they're spinoffs/different versions of the same show (like 12-sai, Bungaku Shoujo, etc.). Though sometimes I'm too lazy to include separate entries for them lol like Kiss x Sis

but thanks for all the other recs though!

Also added:

more hyperlinks + comments
Jul 27, 2020 9:10 PM

Jul 2017
ok new feature added, decided to add the content of the actual romance present from purely a romance side, so as to give a better idea as to how much romance is actually present within these shows.

There are 3 different levels:

High - Implies that romance is the main focus and (most likely) the show contains a lot of romance involved. Examples would include shows like Photokano, Tsuki ga Kirei and the legendary School Days

Medium - The show has its share of romance here and there, although it is more often than not (key word here) more of a subplot. Also includes ones that may have romance present (even as a main plot) but not to a huge extent. Examples would include Hanasaku Iroha, Code Geass and Maria the Virgin Witch (this one being an example of the latter point)

Low - Shows that don't have all that much romance/romantic progression apart from a few moments here and there. Includes ones like Major S5, I Want to Eat your Pancreas and High School of the Dead.

Also listed are '*' variants of each level, which essentially relate to 'borderline' cases between that level and the one below (i.e., Medium* would indicate in-between Low and Medium). Low* are ones that would most likely get removed soon. Examples include, Black Lagoon (Low*), Kaguya-sama (Medium*) and Kiznaiver (High*)

ofc (gotta get in some excuses dont @ me) this is all purely subjective and it's been a while since I've seen quite a lot of these so I may have misremembered some parts, which have an impact on the given rating.
Jul 28, 2020 3:18 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
White album 2’s romance (and just overall atmosphere/setting) was too real I had to check I was watching actual anime

NYANPASU
5700XT

Oct 26, 2020 1:19 PM
Aug 2018
Anime Name
Baki
MAL Link
https://myanimelist.net/anime/34443/Baki?q=baki&cat=anime
They become a couple
Yes.
it's on netflix and a new season is coming
Oct 26, 2020 4:18 PM

May 2018
Since it's fictional romance it's a nonsense to call part of it actual.

Also those examples...
A random pick. The MC of Jin-Rou was faking it. It was part of a scheme, not actually a romance even by the fictional rules of the title...
Oct 26, 2020 5:00 PM

Jul 2017
alshu said:
Since it's fictional romance it's a nonsense to call part of it actual.

Also those examples...
A random pick. The MC of Jin-Rou was faking it. It was part of a scheme, not actually a romance even by the fictional rules of the title...

don't see what the narrative form has any correlation to the presence of something though? 'Actual' here is not being used as a means to reference the reality of it, just the fact that it merely exists within it. Tons of series' are listed as "romance" despite hardly having a semblance of it lel

And yeah, the list has definitely been skewed and kinda lost its original purpose some time ago, especially if you look at the introduction from the original post. So rather than being about series' with actu....series' that have decent/high amounts of romantic focus in them, it's sorta become more about just picking out the ones that have any romance in them. Hence why some of the series' listed really shouldn't be there in the first place tbh (like Black Lagoon for instance)

As for Jin-Rou, regardless of the intentions, the romance was still present. Even if his feelings weren't all there, hers were (at least from what I remember) and it did leave an effect on him at the end.

@Lymon thx m8
Oct 26, 2020 5:11 PM
Jun 2020
What a bunch of crap. I'M THE ONE WHO DECIDE WHICH ANIME IS AN ACTUAL ROMANCE OR NOT.

Matter of fact, Toradora is still the best romance ever conceived upon this world.
Oct 27, 2020 9:05 AM

Dec 2016
i suggest that on the "Kiss-Y/N" section of the spreadsheet there should also be something to do with frequency cause I can't count the number of anime where it's in the final episode that the kiss actually comes.
Oct 27, 2020 9:33 AM
Jul 2020
Great job. Stuff will be easier now lol.
Oct 27, 2020 10:10 AM

Jun 2016
This will sure come in handy. Gonna keep this tabbed and take a closer look later.
Oct 27, 2020 1:52 PM

Feb 2020
Ahh man i was looking for some good ones but meh, TL;DR.
Oct 27, 2020 3:04 PM

May 2020
Anime Name
Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata

https://myanimelist.net/anime/23277/Saenai_Heroine_no_Sodatekata

They become a couple.

Yes, they do.

First season is focussed on comedy, second season on drama, the final movie - on romance.
In general, the romance progresses steadily though, it's really wholesome.
Don't mind me,
just passing by...
Oct 27, 2020 3:48 PM

Jul 2017
@HentaiIs4Losers welp sorry to disappoint kek
TheQuietLife said:
i suggest that on the "Kiss-Y/N" section of the spreadsheet there should also be something to do with frequency cause I can't count the number of anime where it's in the final episode that the kiss actually comes.

that's actually a good suggestion lol. I've updated the list with from what I can actually remember

Though in doing so I'm reminded just how many series' only have a kiss at the very end :P

@tl_dr oh wow, didn't actually think the romance in that series went anywhere tbh

I've also included a separate 'Explanations' tab which explains each of the sections
Oct 27, 2020 4:07 PM

May 2020
Short_Circut said:

@tl_dr oh wow, didn't actually think the romance in that series went anywhere tbh

That*s what I thought at first too. The eccho/harem tags really made me stay away, believing it would be another one of those generic ecchi harems without any story. How wrong I was, I can't really say how well the series turned out to be for me, especially the movie was really sweet! I'm glad that a friend convinced me to try it out!
Don't mind me,
just passing by...
Oct 27, 2020 4:17 PM

Feb 2020
Short_Circut said:
TheQuietLife said:

that's actually a good suggestion lol. I've updated the list with from what I can actually remember

Though in doing so I'm reminded just how many series' only have a kiss at the very end :P

I've also included a separate 'Explanations' tab which explains each of the sections
Short_Circut said:
TheQuietLife said:

The movie came out almost a year ago if im not mistaken, but we on the other side of the world couldn't watch it because ya know, blu ray and all that stuff, but its on now, i would recommend you to watch it, its really good and has a solid end to the series.
May 1, 2021 1:58 AM

Sep 2012
Anime Name
Hakubo

https://myanimelist.net/anime/34972/Hakubo

They become a couple.

Yes, they do.
May 12, 2021 11:37 PM

Jan 2021
Anime Name
Bakemonogatari

MAL Link
https://myanimelist.net/anime/5081/Bakemonogatari?q=bakemonoga&cat=anime

Protagonists sleep with each other (outside the scenes) and go on dates.

Probably, but they are never shown kissing.

There are actually a lot of seasons and episodes but this is the first released one. Romance isn't the main focus of the series, but there are quite a lot episodes focused on it. The show always skips the kissing and "love" scenes of the main couple but doesn't skip interactions between MC and other girls than his girlfriend (lol).
they deleted my signature again so i'm not making a new one
May 13, 2021 1:30 AM

Apr 2020
I noticed that there is a NO regarding kisses in Why the hell are you here teacher. But there a actually some really nice, romantic and loving kisses.
MascimusMay 13, 2021 1:53 AM
May 13, 2021 9:55 AM

Jul 2017
@FlamingMangos thanks

@m4ci3x I'm surprised this wasn't there already lol

Mascimus said:
I noticed that there is a NO regarding kisses in Why the hell are you here teacher. But there a actually some really nice, romantic and loving kisses.

Does it? I know there was the accidental one in the kojima arc (which doesn't really count) and Hikari and Mayu arcs I'm fairly certain don't have any. Unless there was one in the chizuru arc I missed :P
May 13, 2021 10:16 AM

Apr 2020
Na, it wasn't accidential. You could check Episode 3, at about minute 9.

And then there is the "Special" Episode "Nande Koko ni Sensei ga!? Special". While it is labelled as special, it's more like an episode 13, even though MAL calls it "Side Story". It takes place directly after episode 12 and has two very nice scenes, one with Kana and one with Chizuru, both in the last third of the episode. In fact the whole "sex scene" between Chizuru and Tanaka was handled super wholesome.
May 13, 2021 12:53 PM

Jan 2020
Thank you for the "extra information" column, I was literally about to add them to my list randomly, but I'm glad it caught my attention.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
May 16, 2021 10:56 AM

Apr 2020
No Adachi and Shimamura yet?

Anime Name
Adachi and Shimamura

MAL Link
https://myanimelist.net/anime/39790/Adachi_to_Shimamura

It stays pretty one-sided. There isn't even a real confession.

no

lesbian couple
Jul 18, 2021 8:23 AM

Apr 2020

Hatsukoi Monster is tagged with NO kiss, but we have at least one, in E3 at about 19:00

https://puu.sh/HXfzv/a7c3c5f761.png
https://puu.sh/HXfzK/46f907f59b.png
Jul 18, 2021 8:39 PM

Jul 2017
Jul 28, 2021 9:40 AM

Apr 2020
I'm baffled that there is no Uzaki-chan in the list. This series shows real romance, when a friendship steadily progresses into love. At least since ep. 8 it's pretty clear what both protagonists are really feeling. It's tagged as ecchi, but its not really one. There is no harem, no love traingle. Just two people having overall a great time

Anime Name Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!
MAL Link https://myanimelist.net/anime/41226/Uzaki-chan_wa_Asobitai
How Far Does the Romance Go? no kiss yet
Do The Protagonists Kiss? no

Oh, and there is a typo in "Yamada-kun an the Seven Witches", not Bitches. It may be funny, but it's not so good when I'm searching for Seven Witches and don't geht a result.
Sep 3, 2021 11:54 AM

Jan 2020
Thank you for updating this post. I hope you will continue to do so in the future.
Sep 3, 2021 6:34 PM

Jul 2017
Animillion said:
Thank you for updating this post. I hope you will continue to do so in the future.

lol updates will continue for as long as need be.

That being said though, in its current state it's probably gonna be updated less and less mainly because not that many people contribute rip. I think most romances barring long episode count ones, more obscure ones and some (or maybe a lot idk) gay ones are already present, so there's only so far it can go lmao

Mascimus said:
Oh, and there is a typo in "Yamada-kun an the Seven Witches", not Bitches. It may be funny, but it's not so good when I'm searching for Seven Witches and don't geht a result.

:( It's gonna stay like that because changelog said so
Short_CircutSep 3, 2021 6:40 PM
Sep 16, 2021 4:22 AM

Apr 2020
Regarding Ai Yori Aoshi: We have at least 5 kisses in S1, a few more in S2 and something like implied sex in S2E9, so I would say the kiss and romance-amount is at least medium or even high.
As tags I would suggest Strong Relationship, Childhood Friend, College Students/Adults and Early Couple.

I'd also submit the facts for some newer romances like nagatoro, but haven't seen them yet. The manga is super wholesome, though.
Apr 7, 2022 4:25 PM

Feb 2010
Haven't seen this on the list

https://myanimelist.net/anime/113/Uchuu_no_Stellvia
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 7, 2022 4:50 PM

Feb 2010
Short_Circut said:

ah, nice to see an older entry. Thanks

I don't really remember if there was a kiss or whatever (I think so?) but I do know that this show and Zegapain are my two go-to recs for anime that have great romance without romance being the main genre.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 13, 2022 1:40 PM

Apr 2020
How is there no Nagatoro in the list? This is blasphemie!

Anime Name
Don't Toy with Me, Miss Nagatoro

MAL Link
https://myanimelist.net/anime/42361/Ijiranaide_Nagatoro-san

Apart from the first oder second episode, everything in this anime is about the growing feelings and obvious romance between our two protagonists. In fact, it gets more wholesome every episode and there a some scenes that are so wonderful, you have to watch it more than once (ok, at least I did)

Jun 27, 2022 12:10 PM

Sep 2021
Dunno if you are still updating with newer works, but from 2022

Anime Name
Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru (My Dress-up Darling)

MAL Link
https://myanimelist.net/anime/48736/Sono_Bisque_Doll_wa_Koi_wo_Suru

The romance is the central theme of the story. There is a lot of attraction and hanging out together, dating, watching movies, going to festival, touching.

I don't think so, but I'm not sure. They were about to, and it got interrupted.

No love triangle.
Jun 27, 2022 3:51 PM

Jul 2017
Khashishi said:
Dunno if you are still updating with newer works, but from 2022

I'm always updating the list :P

though I didn't even realize it's been a good few months since I last updated it lol

anywho thanks for the reminder
Jul 3, 2022 12:28 PM

Apr 2020
Your "Extra Information" for Aharen-san wa Hakarenai is exactly what I thought! I thought it would lead to nothing, like at least first season of Komi. So I was pleasently surprised that there was real, honest romance in it. Very nice.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - Yesterday

19 by PlasticRobot »»
3 minutes ago

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 3 hours ago

9 by Luchipher-Zen »»
13 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

31 by WatchTillTandava »»
29 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

56 by RantingMarauder »»
34 minutes ago

» peak piece

Cyborgium - Mar 28

6 by SnipeStrike »»
57 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.