Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'New Game!' Concludes Eight-Year Run

New
Jul 27, 2021 11:38 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
The September issue of Manga Time Kirara Carat announced on Wednesday that Shoutarou Tokunou's New Game! manga will end in the next magazine's next issue. The October issue will publish the final chapter on August 27.

The 4-koma slice of life comedy manga ran as a guest series in Manga Time Kirara Carat from January to March 2013 before beginning regular serialization in May that year. The 12th volume shipped on March 26 (pictured). Houbunsha will ship the 13th and final volume along with an art book on September 27.

Doga Kobo adapted the manga into two television anime seasons in Summer 2016 and 2017. Kadokawa released an original video anime episode in May 2017. Crunchyroll and Funimation streamed the anime series with subtitles and English dub, respectively. The latter released the seasons on home video in November 2017 and September 2018.

Seven Seas Entertainment licensed the manga in English in 2017 and released the 11th volume on June 1. The 12th volume is scheduled for a November 30 release.

Synopsis
Aoba Suzukaze is a high school graduate and an aspiring character designer. She joins the video game company Eagle Jump, known for the game that she profoundly loves—Fairies Story.

At Eagle Jump, Aoba is placed into a team of six, which includes the lead character designer for the original Fairies Story game, Kou Yagami. Getting mentored by her role model, Aoba strives to become a better character designer and learn the ropes of the video game industry.

New Game! revolves around the buoyant lives of Aoba and her team members. Together, the girls put their sweat and tears into the production of the new upcoming video game, Fairies Story 3—the third installment of the Fairies Story series. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Source: Comic Natalie

Jul 27, 2021 11:47 PM

Aug 2019
damn, well looks like the possibly of another season is practically out of the window; guess I’ll have to check out the ending to see if anything major happened
Jul 27, 2021 11:52 PM

Feb 2014
damn it's been 8 years. Non Non Biyori, now New Game. Would've been nice to have an OVA bundled with the last vol or somethin

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Jul 27, 2021 11:58 PM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
Otsukaresama...

Jul 28, 2021 12:13 AM

Oct 2017
Someday I'll read this manga now that it's completed.
Jul 28, 2021 12:30 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Sadge, well tbf it kinda felt like it was heading in that direction based on the last volume
Jul 28, 2021 12:48 AM

Apr 2012
I had already forgotten about this manga. I never thought that the hype of manga is so heavily influenced by anime.
Jul 28, 2021 2:13 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Oh man, I was hoping for a third season.

But well, congratulations to the creators!

Hoping to get around to it someday.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 28, 2021 6:17 AM

Jul 2015
This is one of the best CGDCT anime I have ever seen and I still fondly remember those cute character designs.
Pity, that 2nd season was a downgrade, but still I was hoping for 3rd season.

Jul 28, 2021 1:08 PM

Nov 2008
snowykevin said:
damn, well looks like the possibly of another season is practically out of the window; guess I’ll have to check out the ending to see if anything major happened

Seriously, the stigma of finished works when it comes to adaptations really has to stop. You can still sell merch based off an adaptation of a finished work.

Jul 29, 2021 11:03 AM

Jul 2017
Gonna have to finish this someday, now that it's completed.
Jul 29, 2021 11:40 AM
Jul 2018
You've served us well o7

Looks like I'm gonna have to read the shit out of this now.
Jul 29, 2021 4:35 PM

Feb 2018
Hoppy said:
snowykevin said:

Seriously, the stigma of finished works when it comes to adaptations really has to stop. You can still sell merch based off an adaptation of a finished work.

Studio Gokumi is finishing Kiniro Mosaic and Silver Link finished Non Non Biyori so I think it's more an issue with Doga Kobo. Others like Food Wars, Quintessential Quintuplets, Devil is a Part Timer, Strike the Blood and Konosuba have also shown that it is changing somewhat. It's kinda weird how often SoL anime change studios (Yuru Yuri, Is This A Rabbit?, Isekai Shokudou) but I'm guessing it would be finished by someone else. Kadokawa, the producer for the New Game anime, would probably make a season 3 depending on the sales like with Konosuba. It also shares producers with NNB and Kiniro Mosaic (Media Factory and Kadokawa), and all three shows have gotten a fair amount of sponsorships and merch, so if New Game's merch sells as well as the others I don't think a third season is impossible.
TheFlyingOrangeJul 29, 2021 4:46 PM
Jul 29, 2021 5:38 PM

Apr 2012
TheFlyingOrange said:
Hoppy said:

Studio Gokumi is finishing Kiniro Mosaic and Silver Link finished Non Non Biyori so I think it's more an issue with Doga Kobo. Others like Food Wars, Quintessential Quintuplets, Devil is a Part Timer, Strike the Blood and Konosuba have also shown that it is changing somewhat. It's kinda weird how often SoL anime change studios (Yuru Yuri, Is This A Rabbit?, Isekai Shokudou) but I'm guessing it would be finished by someone else. Kadokawa, the producer for the New Game anime, would probably make a season 3 depending on the sales like with Konosuba. It also shares producers with NNB and Kiniro Mosaic (Media Factory and Kadokawa), and all three shows have gotten a fair amount of sponsorships and merch, so if New Game's merch sells as well as the others I don't think a third season is impossible.

You got me thinking that, compared to all these shows, New Game has never been an over-the-top cash cow. Although in my subjective sense, at least the first season was much more fun than even Gochiusa, which I highly respect and consider an exemplary Kirara's SoL.
Jul 30, 2021 8:43 AM

Jul 2015
Amazing run, one of the best cgdct manga/anime, will miss it, but the future of the mangaka is bright, already a master of the genre !
Jul 30, 2021 9:28 AM

May 2008
3 season when? I wait for that.
Jul 30, 2021 7:42 PM
Dec 2017
press f to pay respects.

Jul 30, 2021 10:28 PM

Aug 2010
I wish my local library had this series.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Aug 2, 2021 6:03 AM

Jun 2009
It was a good run. Hope we get another anime.

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

69 by Jin_uzuki »»
57 minutes ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 9 hours ago

3 by Maumuu »»
3 hours ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
6 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.