Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jun 6, 2021 9:21 AM

Apr 2014
UTMAN said:
Albi-kun said:

That's irrelevant. Fishmen symbolize minorities. They don't have to be human for us to get the idea.

That doesn't change the fact what I've wrote. It's not irrelevant. This is why I told you One Piece took the "safe route". Also in 86 there is racism within the 86-ers, there is nothing like that in One Piece. But keep dodging the topics. It kinda makes it obvious that you have no idea what the show is about.

I think I am stating the obvious, but the amount of nuance, detail and the reality of how racism goes both ways is splendly done in 86, to the point where I can count on the fingers of a single hand the amount of anime I have seen doing those so well.
And of course none of the mainstream shounens. They get into some darker topics from time to time, but they barely graze the surface because the target demographic of young boys doesn't allow such complexity.
Jun 6, 2021 9:24 AM

Apr 2014
Albi-kun said:
Leonhart93 said:

I wasn't talking about the ones that died at all, we have like 7 characters that have a much larger focus and are still alive.
But anyway, I watched other anime this season and while I appreciate some specific ones a lot, none of them made me tingly every week to watch the episode like 86 did and then very disappointed when 20 minutes felt like an instant 😌. And I am mainly a character driven watcher, they matter to me a lot more that stuff like plot or world-building (although those are nice too).

Wasn't I talking about characters just now?! Which other anime are you watching this season?

Nah man, you completely misread that. I meant to say that since I am a particularly character driven watcher (as in I get excited the most when I see people I can learn stuff from) you can be certain I paid the largest amount of attention to characters. And therefore my decision to put 86 the crown jewel of the season in that category was very deliberate, and not on a whim.
Jun 6, 2021 9:26 AM
May 2008
Leonhart93 said:
UTMAN said:

That doesn't change the fact what I've wrote. It's not irrelevant. This is why I told you One Piece took the "safe route". Also in 86 there is racism within the 86-ers, there is nothing like that in One Piece. But keep dodging the topics. It kinda makes it obvious that you have no idea what the show is about.

I think I am stating the obvious, but the amount of nuance, detail and the reality of how racism goes both ways is splendly done in 86, to the point where I can count on the fingers of a single hand the amount of anime I have seen doing those so well.
And of course none of the mainstream shounens. They get into some darker topics from time to time, but they barely graze the surface because the target demographic of young boys doesn't allow such complexity.

Exactly. This is why I was baffled when he said that One Piece handles racism better. Like I get that One Piece has the theme of racism and it's not a bad one for that matter. It kinda puts it out there and leave it. It can't really go deep into it like 86 or Code Geass or other non-shounens because of its platform. And there is nothing wrong with that. But pretenting that its better is just laughable.
Jun 6, 2021 9:26 AM

Dec 2012
UTMAN said:
Albi-kun said:

That's irrelevant. Fishmen symbolize minorities. They don't have to be human for us to get the idea.

It's not the "safe route". It's just the way racism became part of the story. One Piece covers many types of discrimination too. What about the Celestial Dragons?!
Jun 6, 2021 9:32 AM
May 2008
Albi-kun said:

It's not the "safe route". It's just the way racism became part of the story. One Piece covers many types of discrimination too. What about the Celestial Dragons?!

I get that it became a part of the story, but it's just that. It's not really detailed. The anime just put it there. Racism because Humans > non-humans. Why? Just because Humans> Non-Humans. Nothing really deep into it. And as I said before I don't think it's a bad depiction. Also the way it shows that the fishmen can't really go into Shabody, also the blood transplant and some minor stuff that's tosssed there was interesting. But it never went deep. And as I said there is nothing wrong with that.

The Celestial Dragons is also quite interesting, imo it's a bit better than the Fishmen/Human relations. But I would not call that racism. It's more like a divison between classes. Like noble/commoner, rich/poor. etc. 86 has some really minor staff regarding this and it's not really the major point like the racism.
Jun 6, 2021 9:41 AM
Feb 2019
Albi-kun said:
UserAnonymous117 said:
Um Naruto's powerscaling become shit later on to the point powerups come out of nowhere and stronger enemies can be defeated by basic attack and the worse, BORUTO!

I mean, yeah it has flaws, but it's not trash.
It is actually one of the first few anime introduced in the west and open the path to current shonen so yeah its legacy shouldn't be judged
Jun 6, 2021 9:43 AM

Jul 2015
aightbet said:
Piromysl said:

Then they made a poor job conveying it, because even one of 86 was concerned about her risking her eyesight. This scene stil made her look evil.

Trust me, I do see where you are coming from, but I disagree. When Lena connected her vision to Raiden's vision, Raiden bursted out mentioning that Handlers don't connect their visions to the 86 because there is a risk of the handler going blind.

To me, I don't think that the scene made Lena look evil, but honestly made it feel like Lena is finally acting as a proper general perhaps? In my mind, the military always has generals often talking down to their subordinates in a sly/manipulative/almost forceful manner. The line Lena said to Raiden was that Lena herself did not want to die, seemed like a classic tsundere-jokey line, however it does hold truth.

Remember that Shin also told Lena in the episodes prior to this to never forget about him and the rest of the spearhead squadron, and to also survive.

That's pretty interesting but in order to discard this theory completely, I'd like you to answer those two questions:
1. Is there any meaning behind Henrietta suddenly starting wearing glasses?
2. Are Henrietta's reddish eyes a result of her emotional instability, light saturation, or actually favour she did to Lena?

One way or the other, her resorting to that sort of emotional manipulation is evil and her wanting 86 for herself doesn't really put her in a good light. There was also an obvious implication, that she started to develop a feelings for Shin.
Even Henrietta called her a "devil", afterall. And don't get me wrong, it's not w bad thing, because I wouldn't want to watch another predictable Mary Sue. This show is indeed a masterpiece.

Jun 6, 2021 9:43 AM

Dec 2012
UTMAN said:
Albi-kun said:

I get that it became a part of the story, but it's just that. It's not really detailed. The anime just put it there. Racism because Humans > non-humans. Why? Just because Humans> Non-Humans. Nothing really deep into it. And as I said before I don't think it's a bad depiction. Also the way it shows that the fishmen can't really go into Shabody, also the blood transplant and some minor stuff that's tosssed there was interesting. But it never went deep. And as I said there is nothing wrong with that.

The Celestial Dragons is also quite interesting, imo it's a bit better than the Fishmen/Human relations. But I would not call that racism. It's more like a divison between classes. Like noble/commoner, rich/poor. etc. 86 has some really minor staff regarding this and it's not really the major point like the racism.

You're getting too technical about the fishmen discrimination. We're talking semantics here. It's the same thing as racism. Racism doesn't have any logic either, it's about the color of the skin.
Jun 6, 2021 9:49 AM
Nov 2019
Piromysl said:
Leonhart93 said:

Wow, that's an absolutely cynical point of view 😒
I know not much will come out of it by talking about stuff with the likes of you, but I will say this nonetheless. Yes, there is always a reason for our actions, that's how our human brains are wired.
Then, what is stuff like kindness and altruism? It's when one's inner desires align with the well-being of other people and by helping these people then basically help themselves.
Of course, it's very far from following your inner desires towards chaos. I am not sure how your brain perceives them in the same category 😩

Btw, I don't know what you have been watching but it was VERY clearly stated that Lena, herself, risked her own eyesight by connecting it through the para-raid. Raiden himself protested saying it would turn her blind, to which she replied that "it was only for a brief instant " and that "the blindness won't set in immediately". He saw through her eye in the same way she saw through his and in that moment he saw her reflection in the screen from the control room.
Did it need any more concrete spelling to be obvious? And no I didn't read the LN or something

I believe I have already explained everything, so I won't repeat myself.

And it was actually conveyed quite well, that Lena literally manipulated Henrietta into risking her eyesight, which apparently wasn't even a threat, as a poster above me claims.

How tf Henriette's eyesight is at risk, she was not even wearing the Para-RAID . Annette job was to modify Para-RAID so that Lena can share visual data with Raiden .So it was Lena's eye at risk .
Jun 6, 2021 9:55 AM
May 2008
Albi-kun said:
UTMAN said:

You're getting too technical about the fishmen discrimination. We're talking semantics here. It's the same thing as racism. Racism doesn't have any logic either, it's about the color of the skin.

Because you want to treat racism like it's some very simple thing. It's not. Racism can happen because of:

- Diffent skin colour - (White/Balck issues in USA)
- Different language/ethnicity (Germans were killing white german jews aswell with same skin color, or their hatred of slavs who are also white)
- Different race - sci-fi/fantasy movies where there are actually different races (One Piece)
- Different Religion (Palestine/Israel)

Also these can go into:

- Invidiual
- Interpesonal
- Institutional
- Structural

86 goes into all of this:
- Invidiual - Lena hates her own race/Albas because of their mistreatment of other races. Basically an own guilt.
- Interpesonal - Comments regarding other 86-ers by Albas, or 86-ers the Albas, or between 86-ers themselves (Anju, Shin and Haruto by being imperial/alba descendants)
- Institutional - having anti-colorata laws, concentration camps etc.
- Structural - the whole Army / republic's system deported and force conscripted the 86-ers.

This is not just a simple topic as you want to make it out be.
One piece only scratches the topic of racism.
UTMANJun 6, 2021 10:07 AM
Jun 6, 2021 10:18 AM
Jan 2021
The scene from Lena's perspective where she looked at the drawings of each person as they spoke really stood out to me. I liked it.
Jun 6, 2021 10:56 AM

Dec 2012
UTMAN said:
Albi-kun said:

Because you want to treat racism like it's some very simple thing. It's not. Racism can happen because of:

- Different language/ethnicity (Germans were killing white german jews aswell with same skin color, or their hatred of slavs who are also white)
- Different race - sci-fi/fantasy movies where there are actually different races (One Piece)

Also these can go into:

- Invidiual
- Interpesonal
- Institutional
- Structural

- Invidiual - Lena hates her own race/Albas because of their mistreatment of other races. Basically an own guilt.
- Interpesonal - Comments regarding other 86-ers by Albas, or 86-ers the Albas, or between 86-ers themselves (Anju, Shin and Haruto by being imperial/alba descendants)
- Structural - the whole Army / republic's system deported and force conscripted the 86-ers.

What I'm saying is that racism comes fundamentally from differences. Whether it's skin color differences (our world) or species differences (One Piece)
Jun 6, 2021 10:57 AM

Dec 2020
shin in his coo coo mode uh oh

wish they'd show a bit more fight before lena showed up but that was SO good they did that scene wonderfully. actually they've done everything wonderfully but i was really waiting for that scene and im so glad they did great on it.

MMRRRHH THE ILLUSTRATION WHERE LITTLE LENA AND SHIN'S BROTHER WERE TOGETHER BEFORE THEY BOMBED HIM WAS SOOOO !!! and the scene after that too oh my GOD this is bad im rly loving this adaptation ill start seeing only the good things about it and come blind to the bad's

last scene after the battle was great too. them casually talking as if they're in a lounge while heading into a battlefield even stronger than the ones they've went to before. lena running miles purely full from adrenaline, them coming across red flowers that are near lena and as they cut the para-raid, the flower petals flow off
Jun 6, 2021 11:03 AM
May 2008
Albi-kun said:
UTMAN said:

Also these can go into:

- Invidiual
- Interpesonal
- Institutional
- Structural

What I'm saying is that racism comes fundamentally from differences. Whether it's skin color differences (our world) or species differences (One Piece)

Noo, you can hate your own race aswell. It's called invidiual racism. Which I also told you in my previous post.

Also you said OP explored racism better than 86, which is factually not true. This is what we were talking about from the very beginning.
Jun 6, 2021 11:31 AM

May 2015
Evil Major is something we need more of lol. She was great.

I'm surprised they've already taken out the brother by episode 9. I thought that would be at the end. I really REALLY hope the ending of the series is the Major meeting them.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Jun 6, 2021 11:51 AM
Jul 2020
I had given this a 9 but after this episode I will drop it to 7 because of few stupid decisions.
Why would the director play a sawano drop in the moment when the mc was killing his brother as if it was a hype moment and not a tragic one.
Secondly the last scene felt too melodramatic for my taste.
Third- despite its otherwise awesome direction, the character writing seems mediocre at best, I still don't feel anything for shin. Fumetsu did it in just 1 episodes, so you can't say I didn't give it much time.

Fourth - no sakuga, but that's acceptable cause cgi is good
Jun 6, 2021 12:16 PM

Oct 2017
Albi-kun said:
aightbet said:

Liking a story is of course subjective. Just like I find your rating of Naruto being a 10/10 quite funny, I still respect it if that's the type of show you enjoy.

I believe this show has explored the theme of forced conscription within a lens of a somewhat WWII type racism to be very well done and explored. The character development of Lena especially in the past 9 episodes was absolutely beautiful and breathtaking. Lena went from a character I was not too fond of in the beginning few episodes to progressively becoming my most loved character in the space of 9, wonderfully directed and presented episodes. The pacing of this story was one of my highlights of this show as well as how engaging it felt to see both alternating perspectives of the lives of Lena and the 86.

That being said, it is not my call to make you like a certain show if you do not like it. However, unlike you I do not barrage episode discussions by repeating the same rhetoric over and over in hopes to make other people not like this show. You may discuss your displeasure once, you may discuss it twice, maybe even three times. But continuously arguing with people who actually like the show or bringing this dead topic back to life over and over again is childish. Let people like what they like, you don't have to propagate your hatred to others, you only make yourself look like a troll.

Can you please tell me what changed about Lena so much that made you change your view of her? She's basically the same. Always trying to help, with good intentions in mind. Just because the 86 didn't acknowledge her and now they do, it doesn't mean she has changed.

What's with all the Naruto hate by the way? Everyone is mentioning Naruto to me like it's some shit show.

I've only commented twice on this show, the others are just responses to other people.

I see, I do apologise if my comment was too harsh, looking back it does look so to me. Sorry about that.

I will write a fairly lengthy piece of text explaining my perspective about the character of Lena, because I feel like her character is greatly misunderstood by many.

So, with the development of Lena being in mind, when Lena was first shown to us, it was clear that she played the role of being an idealistic and overtly naive character in an anime about war and discrimination. This was the character trope the writer of this story had essentially given Lena to perform, and she performed this role magnificently. Her idealism of what her country stands for and should accomplish was almost obnoxious and felt incredibly childish, and her advocacy for the 86 almost felt like it was merely a show of disgusting pity to the 86 people with regards to what her country was ACTUALLY doing to the 86. Of course at first glance, these aspects of Lena made it so that it was difficult for the audience to really like or connect with her as she was so disconnected with the reality of the 86's situation, and this is something the spearhead squadron themselves also felt.

Now a key aspect of Lena's character in the beginning I want to highlight is how trustful she is of what she sees, or is told. Lena at first was seen to be unable to have adequate critical thinking behind the information she learns about whether by her own eyes or ears. Her naivety is reflected by how she is very quick to believe or take things as fact the moment she learns about them, and this is namely seen in two separate occasions. The first one is when Lena interacts with Shourei (Shin's brother) when she was young, and the second is her blind trust of her government's word on reinstating the citizenship of the 86 after 5 full years of military service.

The first point I want to explore is of Shourei's reason of fighting which was shown in episode 3 of the anime when Lena was speaking with Kaie. Lena, who was rescued by Shourei when her father took her to the battlefield had learned of why Shourei fights. And what Shourei says to Lena is "We are members of the Republic. We were born here and grew up here. It's a citizen's duty to protect his country. I'm proud to do it. That's why we fight". Lena, after learning this is seemingly misguided by Shourei's reasoning of fighting and applies this 'fight principle' to all members of the 86. In essence this was one of the first signs where we saw Lena's naiveness and innocence working in full course. This is despite the context that Lena already knows of the 86 which is that they are forcefully conscripted into military service, her blind trust and closed view of her own thoughts, values, and ideals blinded her into honestly believing that the 86 actually fight for such a virtuous cause, and depicts her incapability to critically think behind why the 86 are actually fighting given the context she already knows.

The second case of Lena's obnoxious virtuousness and naivety can be seen in her blind trust of the Republic's word that the reinstatement of the 86's citizenship is guaranteed after the 5 years of military service they are forced to do. And yet again, we see that her lack of critical thinking given the context that she knows that the 86 are not even referred to as humans by the educators, policy makers, high ranking generals, and population of the Republic. How would the 86 actually be given 'human rights' and citizenship when said people have literally been taken as an example of beings that have 'failed to evolve'? This shows yet again Lena's innocence and naivety concerning her ideals.

The anime topples each of these cases by putting Lena in situations where she is under immense pressure by the 86, and forced to change her justifications and beliefs in order to conform with the realities of her own country and this 'blood-less' war, and most of all opens up her previously tunnel vision virtuousness and lip service advocacy into something much more respectable and meaningful. It is also in these situations where we, the audience, see Lena's growth by how she actively reshapes her fundamental ideals and turning into a character that does not remain only idealistic but also has an ounce of realist principles and is capable of dealing with these changes and events accordingly.

To keep this short, I will continue using the two cases of Lena's display of her naivety previously to show how Lena develops as a character.

If you remember in the manner Lena talked to the spearhead squadron until episode 3, one can argue that Lena herself, despite her strong views of acknowledging the 86 as humans and citizens of the Republic, has herself been impacted by the indoctrination of the Republic's views on those who are of not pure-blooded Albas. This is something that was interesting because it serves as a direct juxtaposition between Lena's beliefs and actions. So how were her conversational mannerisms ironic when engaging with the 86? It was simple, Lena did not even think about asking the real names of the people she is talking to. No, instead however, she unconsciously chose to continue using the spearhead squadron's member's codenames instead. This was yet again remarkable when you consider the fact that Lena asked for the name of the cat who lives with the squadron but not even have the thought of asking the real names of the very people she is conversing with.

Referring to people with codenames instead of their actual names serves as a way to dehumanise a person by taking their very identity away, and is a prime example of Lena's unconscious mannerisms she may had picked up on during her time working as a handler, and not directly handed real names of the processors she is commanding, OR may also be a result of the Alba-centric education she had been given as well as surrounded by people sharing the Alba supremacist viewpoint. Either way though, this unbeknownst way of identification of hers served as the piece that made Lena's idealism ironic and collapses onto itself when she is exposed to the very harsh, but true words of Theo's exposition of holes in her virtue signalling mind and lip service advocacy. During Theo's outburst is when we, the audience, can see for ourselves that Lena's two ideals that, (1) the 86 fight to protect the Republic and (2) 86 should be treated as human beings, come crumbling down as Lena is in denial of her own actions as she realises how her fundamental idealistic principles failed to resonate with the spearhead squadron despite her projecting of virtuousness in an almost disgustingly pitiful way was not only insulting, but also ironic.

After Theo's outburst, Lena comes to understand this and realise her shortcomings. We can also see for ourselves that Lena makes great efforts into truthfully understanding the 86, and to not continue being blinded by her idealisms that have stemmed since her childhood. We see that she truly wants to become a better person, she understands her mistakes and decides to grow on this by asking for the real names of the spearhead squadron's member's.

The first case showed an aspect of how Lena developed as a character from her perspective of morals and ethics, and now comes the development of Lena from realist fundamentals within the second case.

As explained previously, the second case of Lena ironically trusting what her government says about granting citizenship to the 86 once their 5 year military service is over despite fully knowing that the country themselves have never once referred to the 86 as actual human beings serves as an ideal that is broken when the spearhead squadron finally expose what the spearhead squadron's role actually is within the war. Which is of course, the final execution ground to the most elite of the 86 soldiers who have continuously survived and are coming dangerously close to their 5 year term limit. This case represents the final breaking point of Lena's ideals of her country, military, people, and government that comes shattering down when she finally understands that her previous protests to her superior by rank, uncle, to add new soldiers to the now diminishing spearhead squadron had been completely futile, and served as the key to opening her locked close-sighted view. This is also the time when Lena can finally think critically, something that I mentioned early in this text to be a key attribute she lacked in previous to the event of the second case. It is here when we finally see Lena transition to someone who no longer just listens and follows orders, but to become radical, and to finally disobey the authority that had been holding her back in helping the 86 all this time. This was the final wake-up call for Lena, and what a wake-up it was, with her blackmailing her best friend (well currently not best friends I guess at this point in time) to sharing vision between the handler and 86 soldier and to take control of the artillery launch. Over the course of 9 episodes we saw a slow, but progressing change in Lena's mindset, and method of showing advocacy and support to the 86 by becoming much more radical, and particularly frightening.

Just taking these two cases alone we have seen an incredible change of old Lena and present Lena. We can see that the Lena at present is much more fitting to being a leader. She is able to think critically, think radically, use underhanded means to take charge of a situation and act according to her beliefs. We have seen her transition into an arguably cutesy, shallow, ultra-idealistic, ironic, and follower-type character into a character now with great depth, radical ability, leadership skills, and sacrificing some of her ideals in favour of seeing the broader picture. The real picture.

You made the comment that "She's basically the same. Always trying to help, with good intentions in mind." And I have to say, you are correct. She is still the same, but that is a good thing. Her character from the very beginning was set to supporting and advocating for the 86, to help with whatever that is needed to keep the 86 alive. But rather than focusing on how Lena develops with regards to her emotions regarding the 86, to truly evaluate Lena's character development you need to take into account HOW her mindset changes, how she comes to terms with her flawed idealism, how she becomes a leader, how she comes to better understand the 86, how she transitioned into merely performing lip service to the 86 becoming a radical with her means of supporting the 86, how she is now able to think critically as compared to conforming to her ideals and naivety. I believe this is the way to see Lena's development, which is why I believe Lena is a very well written character.

Thank you for listening to my TED Talk.

Anyways, regarding your Naruto thing. No, I don't think Naruto is shit at all, only MAL elitists would probably say such a thing. However, I personally would not give it a 10/10. That being said, this doesn't mean you are obviously wrong for giving it a 10. If you loved the show, you loved the show man.
Jun 6, 2021 12:27 PM

Oct 2017
Piromysl said:
aightbet said:

Trust me, I do see where you are coming from, but I disagree. When Lena connected her vision to Raiden's vision, Raiden bursted out mentioning that Handlers don't connect their visions to the 86 because there is a risk of the handler going blind.

To me, I don't think that the scene made Lena look evil, but honestly made it feel like Lena is finally acting as a proper general perhaps? In my mind, the military always has generals often talking down to their subordinates in a sly/manipulative/almost forceful manner. The line Lena said to Raiden was that Lena herself did not want to die, seemed like a classic tsundere-jokey line, however it does hold truth.

Remember that Shin also told Lena in the episodes prior to this to never forget about him and the rest of the spearhead squadron, and to also survive.

That's pretty interesting but in order to discard this theory completely, I'd like you to answer those two questions:
2. Are Henrietta's reddish eyes a result of her emotional instability, light saturation, or actually favour she did to Lena?

One way or the other, her resorting to that sort of emotional manipulation is evil and her wanting 86 for herself doesn't really put her in a good light. There was also an obvious implication, that she started to develop a feelings for Shin.
Even Henrietta called her a "devil", afterall. And don't get me wrong, it's not w bad thing, because I wouldn't want to watch another predictable Mary Sue. This show is indeed a masterpiece.

Hmmm, I mean you do point the glasses thing out but to me I think you are drastically overthinking it. Again, Lena did not risk Annete's eyesight to being damaged at all. The damage to eyesight is only felt by the handler.

Annete could just have glasses because she simply needs glasses like many people cause genetics, don't forget that the majority of her job is to look at a computer pretty much all day, which can be discomforting to her eyes. I never really saw any red in her eyes which you've mentioned.

But yeah you are probably right that Annete is emotionally unstable, after all she was pretty much blackmailed by Lena, but well, if the show was to not end here, had to be done right?
Jun 6, 2021 12:30 PM

Jul 2015
aightbet said:
Piromysl said:

Hmmm, I mean you do point the glasses thing out but to me I think you are drastically overthinking it. Again, Lena did not risk Annete's eyesight to being damaged at all. The damage to eyesight is only felt by the handler.

Annete could just have glasses because she simply needs glasses like many people cause genetics, don't forget that the majority of her job is to look at a computer pretty much all day, which can be discomforting to her eyes. I never really saw any red in her eyes which you've mentioned.

But yeah you are probably right that Annete is emotionally unstable, after all she was pretty much blackmailed by Lena, but well, if the show was to not end here, had to be done right?

Yea, the plot thickens and I'm wonder that she'll do now that Shin and the rest have deserted.
Character development incoming.

Jun 6, 2021 1:14 PM
Jul 2018
My god what a great episode it was very good was the best of this show so far, and it seems that the people died or something like that I could tell by the flowers.
Jun 6, 2021 2:07 PM

Sep 2018
Yuuki_Otakuu said:
My god what a great episode it was very good was the best of this show so far, and it seems that the people died or something like that I could tell by the flowers.

They didn't die, and I'm certain they won't (at least not all of them) the flowers can mean other things.

But they are now beyond the reach of the Republic, and the delightful irony of their final command is, so long as they keep gathering information they are fulfilling their orders.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Jun 6, 2021 2:23 PM
Dec 2015
Albi-kun said:
Neion4ty7 said:

is that supposed to be an insult? Ill come right back at you with your 10 for naruto and fucking bleach. Hell if its shounen 300 eps at least to get anywhere you give it a 10, typical shounensperg. Like you gave sangatsu no lion an 8 while the aformentioned shounen drivel is 10s. the only one that deserves it is hunter x hunter.

You have watched over 100 eps of fucking boruto for christ sakes. Thats all i need to know to confirm my suspicion that any subtle exposition, symbolization or characterization is completely lost to you.

Yeah, I like shounen. What's the issue here?

First of all, you don't know what I think about Boruto, so you're way off the mark there with your stupid conjecture. Secondly, there's nothing I don't understand about 86, it's just overrated as hell.

I think I like shounen more if I am able to distinguish according to quality. (Hunter x Hunter 10? Acceptable. Bleach 10? Hmmmm.)
Jun 6, 2021 2:26 PM

May 2016
from 8 to 9 what a treat was this episode every cell in my body is brimming with joy
and a bit of sadness.
Jun 6, 2021 3:21 PM
Jan 2021
Great episode but I didn’t really understand the bit about going into the unknown land and why she ran so far like she was gonna actually be able to get to them idk but still great
Jun 6, 2021 3:30 PM
May 2008
aka04 said:
Great episode but I didn’t really understand the bit about going into the unknown land and why she ran so far like she was gonna actually be able to get to them idk but still great

It was mostly to maintain the connection for a bit longer. If she remained in her office the connection would've ended way sooner.
Jun 6, 2021 3:31 PM
Jun 2020
aka04 said:

They need to move forward because of the mission.

Their signal is going to be out of range that's why she is running towards on their direction
Jun 6, 2021 3:32 PM
Aug 2019
Are we sure that this wasn't the final episode???? Because it sure felt like it. A lot.
Jun 6, 2021 3:56 PM
Jun 2020
LittleWhiteHerz said:
Are we sure that this wasn't the final episode???? Because it sure felt like it. A lot.

In the LN it did since this is the final act of vol1 and we are still at vol1 out of 10 volumes ongoing
Jun 6, 2021 4:31 PM
Apr 2021
UTMAN said:
Okay let's go one by one.

theGodde said:
First of all, the entire plot spearhead has been pushing up towards the Legion. In order for the "Mortals" to be already positioned there that would mean that spearhead wasn't literally just sent on a suicide mission INTO DISPUTED LEGION TERRITORY and that was the climax of the episode. They are entering enemy territory - there is no way the artillery was already waiting in range.

No,they are in contested terrority. They are still in former republic terrority. It's the 86 district. The Legion terrority is when the connection got lost with Lena. The mortars are capable of reaching all former Republic terrority. And it was said by the Spearhead squadron that they are leaving the 86 district by the very end.

so by disputed I mean contested territory. Territory disputed by the legion. We are both talking about the same thing. And last time I checked, the entire time they have been fighting in this territory and yet NEVER used the mortars before. I just spent 3 posts arguing about how that was illogical so I'm not going to reiterate that point

UTMAN said:
theGodde said:
and now once you realise how stupid this all is you retort with the classic...

No it's set in a world that uses Sci-fi technlogy. Like Star Trek or Star wars. You don't see Spider Mechs, or mass-killing robot AI that wants to kill the whole Humanworld. This is why I said specifically SCI-FI element, not fantasy element. Fantasy would be Shin's powers. Like you could go on "SpAcE bAtTlEs aRe UnReaLisTic" too.
You obviously don't have a lot of understanding or experience with the sci fi genre, which is understandable since it's pretty dead in modern media. Traditionally sci-fi has been broken into two main schools of thought "science fiction" and "science fantasy". Shows like Star Wars are science fantasy and shows like Star Trek are science fiction. And yes believe it or not Star Trek was in fact originally based on real science concepts such as matter-antimatter (warp) drives, phasers (particle guns), teleporters, and other things. Because of this you can actually take old Trek fairly seriously when it comes to science. I would argue that 86 is also trying to be that kind of show. Like Minority Report, like Blade Runner, and like many other sci-fi shows depicting a future earth, 86 incorporates real world technology and then pushes it to the most extreme level while still remaining somewhat plausible. And because of this, it is a valid criticism when 86's technology doesn't make any sense. The telepathic communication and even Shin hearing the voices is explained away and that's part of being in a sci-fi genre. It's a concept that doesn't exist and therefore you can take creative liberties with it. The weird gooey arms on his brother's mech made absolutely no sense and ruined what little immersive feeling of the world it had left, HOWEVER if they were explained prior to their use, then it would have been an acceptable decision just like Shin's telepathy.

UTMAN said:
theGodde said:
Also until you mentioned it I had no idea there were other nations that still existed aside from the two we know of. Way to go world building, it's almost as bad as RWBY.

It was hinted before by Shin there there might be others out there but you are too busy hating on the show rather than listening/understanding what the characters say. Also it's 9 episodes. Wtf do you expect? This is 2nd cour material.
it's really not. Ideally the world should have been established in the first 2/3 episodes at most. But the best we get is A HINT from Shin that there are other nations than the two we have been introduced to. This is not 2nd cour stuff. We should actually know about these nations' existence in some level of detail before they leave Republic territory and run off to what I'm assuming is probably the other nations you were describing.
Literally, I could probably solve this problem right now. When they are talking about how the legion became autonomous then killed off their own society, it was only told in terms of the Republic and the Legion's creator nation. They could have literally said "during the war the Legion turned autonomous and started attacking all the other nations" and that would have INSTANTLY clued us in as to whether or not there are other nations without having to talk around the fact in a random speech by Shin about racial oppression.

UTMAN said:
theGodde said:
And this is the controversial bit that most of you don't agree with - 86 is poorly written....

Well most of us think it's written good. Even some experts say so aswell, it's not a coincidence that the LN won awards for being the best LN out there. So I am taking the experts opinion over yours. No offense.
EXPERTS huh? There are plenty of shitty teen novels that have won awards. Back in highschool I read the entire "award winning" list of shit post-hunger games teen novels and they were all garbage. Never use awards as proof that something is good because awards are often based more on popularity and public perception. Just like Code Geass that won countless awards when it first premiered despite having glaring flaws and character development that was essentially ignored for the sake of the plot.

UTMAN said:

And regarding your comment on Lena being a Major. Ranks are given because of merit and connections. Lena has both. IF you look at episode 1, she is one of the few person who takes her job seriously. You could see Military books around her room, she gives useful analysis and her causlty rate is the lowest among her piers.

The Republic's army is basically is just a place for slackers to get some alibi job. Because the 86 does all the fighting, so being in the army is not really super important position.
and I agree - to an extent - that incompetent people can be put in places of power and influence. World history has demonstrated this. But the thing is that no one has ever gone so far as to appoint teenagers in positions of high authority in the military based solely on connections. And there are different ways in which you can be good at your job. One is having the required skills - which Lena does. The other is training and experience required to deal with stressful situations - which Lena does not (or at least, the show ignores any training she may have gotten to reduce her down to a cliche teenage girl). I would also like to remind you that since - in your own words - the republic's goal is to kill off the 86; a low casualty rate is actually a bad thing. On top of this, Lena routinely commits acts of insubordination, questioning rank and authority, ignoring direct orders, and is just in general a bad soldier.

And I don't think either you or the writer understands the importance of logistics and command. You can win a war with shitty ground troops but a really intelligent commander (or "handler") who can look at the battlefield and manoeuvre troops strategically. You can't win a war with ace troops who are poorly coordinated. This has been demonstrated in real world history countless times. The fact that the Alba just don't feel bothered to maintain competent military command is just illogical on every level and only serves to create more drama in the story. There is no excuse for it. No number of "eXpErTs" can tell me it's good writing when characters can't even act and think at the level of normal functioning humans.
Jun 6, 2021 4:45 PM
Mar 2021
Its now episode 9 and its really good.. and in this episode, the team then goes to battle in a very big disadvantage.. its just the 5 of them versus a whole legion of enemies! Makes u think of how heartless humans sometimes are, just to save themselves.. and as i said, there will always be limits to what one can do with their current rank in an organization, but doesnt mean there isnt any other way.. gladly, milize understood this, and threatened her ex best friend to help her.. which was how the team had help, by milize playing dirty.. tho there will be consequences they will face.. and seeing that they have now defeated the enemy, just what will happen to milize from now on? Anyways, i rate the episode a 4.5 of 5, 4.5 for both story and art.. :)
Jun 6, 2021 4:45 PM
Apr 2021
UserAnonymous117 said:
One thing I can say from your long ass reply, you're definitely missing out. Rei is an implication of Shin's dreadful past. Combat experience is not always equal in Maturity, a teen is a teen no matter what circumstance they are in, do you think they can act like an adult. They just placed them in battlefield, like a militia, so definitely they have little to no organization of a true military. Lena is from a noble family and the military was also in complete disorder. But here's one thing, Lena is only officer that give positive results, why remember episode 1, the adult officers and the Spearhead's reputation to the military, think again. I think what I can summed up to you is you're clearly an odd one, not dumb but left out

Rei is an aspect of Shin's dreadful past yes. He is also a character with motivations that drives the story. He needed more development in order to create actual tension in this episode. Never, for a second, did I want Rei to win. Despite this he has a motivation that on paper sounds actually pretty relatable. He just wants his brother to be reunited with him and no longer have to suffer, since he feels responsible for what he did to Shin in the past. If they spent time and fleshed out this motivation then there would have been more tension because you understand both characters and their motivations more clearly.

Combat experience ALWAYS changes people in some way. No one is the same after war. That is a fact. People are forced to face death and either can't handle it, or learn to mature up and take on the guilt and responsibility. During war children, teenagers, and pretty much everyone is forced to become more mature - otherwise they die.

And they did not place them onto the battlefield. The 86 are not some kind of militia that wanders around and does its own thing. They are strategically commanded by handlers. They are not a militia - they are a poorly trained conscripted force. And spearhead is a group of people who have forcibly trained themselves on the battlefield by surviving.

Like I mentioned to the other guy, in this world positive results ARE A BAD THING for some reason. You guys can't tell me they are prioritising the extermination of the 86 and then also prioritise good survival rate for the 86? Lena is a bad soldier - because the job of a soldier is not primarily to be proficient at their role, but to follow the chain of command and benefit the nation as a whole however the military sees fit. Ideally, the military is a physical extension of government international policy.

Now I would agree I am left out. I am left out from the strange way of thinking that allows you to rationalise all these flaws. Because you only rationalise something flawed when you actually like and care about a show. And since I don't care about 86, I cannot bring myself to explain away all its problems with BS logic
Jun 6, 2021 5:08 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
My favorite episode so far since Lena finally did something besides walk around whining to her superiors. A little guilt and some action....boom.....she finally did something concrete and positive. Good stuff. Hopefully she won't emo out for the rest of the episodes while the 86 folk actually do something.
Jun 6, 2021 7:02 PM
Nov 2020
Fortress_Maximus said:

17:43 Spearhead knows they can't turn back to the Republic that sent them to die in that mission, they're moving forward into unknown battlefields as planned. Lena, not wanting to get left behind, desperately runs in their direction so her Para-RAID stays connected.

ahhh, so that's what she was doing. thanks for that lol
Jun 6, 2021 7:23 PM
Nov 2017
I'm speechless just what the fu°° man what an EP
Jun 6, 2021 7:50 PM
Sep 2019
I came for Hiroyuki Sawano's soundtrack, I stayed because it's fucking amazing. It gives me Aot vibes, war is brutal, I don't know what will happen next, when I think I know something, turns out I have no idea. I love it very much. I saw the 2nd season was already announced and the LN has like 7 volumes, so I'm fucking curious what will happen next.
This season for me was like: meh. I didn't really watch anything, but then I started with Fumetsu no anata e and now this. I love this season, next is gonna be the Vivi flower.
Jun 6, 2021 8:58 PM

Aug 2020
This episode was epic. 1st half was great and the 2nd half took an unexpected turn. Sawano coming up with a new banger ost everytime.
Jun 6, 2021 9:58 PM
Mar 2015
So long brother Glad Lena made Henrietta help Shin after she abandoned him twice Now they have abandoned her by moving outside her control
Jun 6, 2021 11:16 PM
Apr 2021
FUCKIN' GLORY TO THE SPEARHEAD SQUADRON
Jun 7, 2021 12:36 AM

Dec 2008
This happens when you upset kindhearted people.
Lena's comeback from last episode, where everyone threw dirt at her... it was just great!

Didn't understand why sharing eyesight would cause blindness, but whatever the mortar action was awesome,
although 52% didn't explode, the Legions were mowed down. The military must really suck when that wasn't attempted before.
Even when they never saw the need to really attack the Legion on their own, it looked like lots of fun XD

On first watch I didn't understand the end of the episode. I thought they were moving towards the Replublic borders when they mentioned that building and death flowers.
I expected them to die with some screwed device from the military like self destruction or whatever.
Fortunately nothing happened and no one stopped them from walking into their "freedom".
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 7, 2021 12:52 AM
Jun 2020
Fabienne said:
This happens when you upset kindhearted people.
Lena's comeback from last episode, where everyone threw dirt at her... it was just great!

Didn't understand why sharing eyesight would cause blindness, but whatever the mortar action was awesome,
although 52% didn't explode, the Legions were mowed down. The military must really suck when that wasn't attempted before.
Even when they never saw the need to really attack the Legion on their own, it looked like lots of fun XD

On first watch I didn't understand the end of the episode. I thought they were moving towards the Replublic borders when they mentioned that building and death flowers.
I expected them to die with some screwed device from the military like self destruction or whatever.
Fortunately nothing happened and no one stopped them from walking into their "freedom".

They can't go back because of the mission(special recon: into the depths of legion territory) that's they have to move forward, to the unknown.
Jun 7, 2021 12:52 AM
May 2008
theGodde said:
so by disputed I mean contested territory. Territory disputed by the legion. We are both talking about the same thing. And last time I checked, the entire time they have been fighting in this territory and yet NEVER used the mortars before. I just spent 3 posts arguing about how that was illogical so I'm not going to reiterate that point

Lena tried to used them before, she couldn't because she didn't have authorization.
Also the main reason why they don't use it because half of them are not working. (you can see this from Lena's monitor, 52% malfunctioned). So if they were using it the 86 would know that they are just trash and would increase the risk of a rebellion because the 86-ers have this thought that X amount of mortars are looking at them.
And this kinda answers your question on why on how they don't build more. They don't/can't mainatin the ones they already have because of lack of resources.

theGodde said:
You obviously don't have a lot of understanding or experience with the sci fi genre, which is understandable since it's pretty dead in modern media....

You don't know nothing about me so please stop assuming what I know or don't know. I have plenty of experience with sci-fi whether it's from Western medium or Eastern or movie/books/games. I admit I'm not a Sci-fi maniac, but that doesn't really the point here. You don't need to be.

I already told you the 86 technology is ALSO based on real life technologies.
400 km artillery--> railgun
The para-raid is not telepathy, but a sense sharing device. We have entire researches on brains.
The Shin's brother's liquid arms is also have an explanation. You just need to wait for later episodes. Or if you are inpatient, hit up the 86 wiki. The explanation is there.
You just can't expect an anime to lay their cards on the table by episode 9! There is a 2nd season coming and in the LN we only covered the 1st volume. There are 10 volumes alltogether. And more will come in the near future.

theGodde said:
it's really not. Ideally the world should have been established in the first 2/3 episodes at most. But the best we get is A HINT from Shin that there are other nations than the two we have been introduced to.....

Yes it is. It is hinted that beyond the eastern border there might be someone out there. But who or what is that someone is a 2nd cour material. Once again don't expect the anime to give every answer for you at the beginning.
The rest of the world is irrelevant in the first season, because it's happening in San Magnloia and the communication is cut from the rest of the world. It doesn't matter whether you are aware of the fact that there are other countries or not, because it doesn't affect the story whatsoever.

theGodde said:
EXPERTS huh? There are plenty of shitty teen novels that have won awards. Back in highschool I read the entire "award winning" ...

Well I know you don't like when people bring this out because it basically undermines your "muh bad writing" arguments. Also the LN first volume was written for a CONTEST, which means that it was unknown, so winning because it's "popular" is not the case, so at the time and won by just being a good piece of art. After it won it started the seriealization, BTW this is one of the main reason why you don't really know a lot of shit about the wider world. THe LN had to stand on their own and not just a part of the story, so what you watch now was written as a one-shot in mind. But since it became a series you will get your asnwers, but in 2nd cour.

theGodde said:
and I agree - to an extent - that incompetent people can be put in places of power and influence. World history has demonstrated this. But the thing is that no one has ever gone so far as to appoint teenagers in positions of high authority in the military based solely on connections. And there are different ways in which you can be good at your job. One is having the required skills - which Lena does.....

Well this being appointed as a teen is an anime trope, if this bothers you so much I don't think most of the animes are for you. Also when you want to convey an naive/inexperienced girl personality, the younger she is the better. Also this gives room for nice character developement. Later on the LN-s she will be 18 already for example.

Yeah I agree she is insubortinate a lot, but since she has a friend in higher-ups so a lot of this are looked over. He is the one who should punish her but since he doesn't do that. Also if you can get away with someone you'll do some other stuff again. Also I assure you the usement of mortars by Lena won't go overlooked this time.

Her low casulty rate is not necessary a bad thing. Since the Republic wants to "dacne" around the 2 years period. So they want as much dead 86-ers as possible by then, but if they die a lot faster it can be a problem. Since then there will be no one to defend the walls.

Also not having a competent millitary command. Well it's kinda true, but kinda not. The millitary command succesfully managed to
- banish all the 86-ers
- set up a safe zone with walls/minefield
- would probably succeed in killing most of the 86-ers by the end of 2 years.
Also having a non-competent leadership is nothing new. There are IRL examples of that. For example look ath 1526 battle of Mohás Hungary side. The whole Hugnarian army/command and backbone of the country was so incompetent that after losing that battle in 1541 the capital was lost. Or you can search up the Red Purge and look at the Soviet's commanders after that. They were super incompetent, so much that the Soviet Union couldn't capture Finland, and almost lost to Nazi germany, weren't for the US lend leasing. So my point is having an innefective commandership is nothing new, and plausible. Since it happened a lot of times in our real time too. Also the Republic will pay the price for neglecting this matter, hopefully you can see it in this season's last episode, or in the next season, because it will be adressed aswell.
UTMANJun 7, 2021 1:05 AM
Jun 7, 2021 1:26 AM

Oct 2008
errr...so where did they go? to the unchartered borderlands!? lolz
3/5.

Jun 7, 2021 1:34 AM
Oct 2013
matias067 said:
errr...so where did they go? to the unchartered borderlands!? lolz
3/5.

Either dont be a fucking speed watcher, or read the multiple comments here wasting their time explaining what happened for you slow cunts.
Jun 7, 2021 2:36 AM
Apr 2021
UTMAN said:
theGodde said:

Lena tried to used them before, she couldn't because she didn't have authorization.
Also the main reason why they don't use it because half of them are not working. (you can see this from Lena's monitor, 52% malfunctioned). So if they were using it the 86 would know that they are just trash and would increase the risk of a rebellion because the 86-ers have this thought that X amount of mortars are looking at them.
And this kinda answers your question on why on how they don't build more. They don't/can't mainatin the ones they already have because of lack of resources.
Airburst munitions are pretty cheap and not complex to make. However this is fiction so I guess market prices really are up to them. The biggest flaw with this is that the require essentially the same components as the 86's mechs and ammunition. So if they can't build airburst munitions then how are they able to build mechs? Again at this point I've basically iterated every possible aspect of this problem and it's started to feel like a nitpick because I've invested so much thought into it.

As for the *not using it because it would decrease morale*, as we know the 86 are not fighting because they're forced to. They are fighting because they believe that their death is inevitable either way. A couple of faulty airburst mortars are not going to change this mindset. This is a poor excuse for why they're not used more. And it ties back to an incompetent military which I'll go into further detail when I address your main point

UTMAN said:
theGodde said:
You obviously don't have a lot of understanding or experience with the sci fi genre, which is understandable since it's pretty dead in modern media....

You don't know nothing about me so please stop assuming what I know or don't know. I have plenty of experience with sci-fi whether it's from Western medium or Eastern or movie/books/games. I admit I'm not a Sci-fi maniac, but that doesn't really the point here. You don't need to be.

I already told you the 86 technology is ALSO based on real life technologies.
400 km artillery--> railgun
The para-raid is not telepathy, but a sense sharing device. We have entire researches on brains.
The Shin's brother's liquid arms is also have an explanation. You just need to wait for later episodes. Or if you are inpatient, hit up the 86 wiki. The explanation is there.
You just can't expect an anime to lay their cards on the table by episode 9! There is a 2nd season coming and in the LN we only covered the 1st volume. There are 10 volumes alltogether. And more will come in the near future.

To me the general rule of storytelling is - unless you don't have a reason for your audience to not be clued in on something, then you probably should. This is especially true for sci-fi, where there are many concepts that the audience may not be familiar with and you will need to clue them in. These explanations can come in many forms. But they must come in SOME form. When you introduce a concept, the audience should be familiar with how and why it works within the timeframe in which the audience will be expected to remember it.

If you don't want to explain a concept that is integral to how a particular battle/confrontation plays out - integral to the plot (like those jelly arms), then I have to question why you introduced them at all. Even a simple statement from the cast along the lines of "oh my goodness what is that?" could clue us in as to whether this is normal in their world. Because if it is normal than we should be told it. If it is not normal and some kind of unique legion tech then we need to be informed of that in some way. We need to know that this is strange tech. Communication is essential in science fiction or fantasy - or literally any genre that introduces concepts an audience will be unfamiliar with. I would prefer a length essay mid-story about a certain piece of technology INTEGRAL TO THE PLOT than no explanation and absolute confusion as to what I'm seeing unfold. The issue is, to a LN fan, this experience is difficult to relate to. You are already familiar with most aspects of this world. You have already learnt about this stuff from the LN. So you won't notice when concepts aren't introduced properly because you're already familiar with them. This reinforces my belief that this show is primarily focused on the LN readers as their target audience.

As for all your summaries of their technology, you aren't wrong, and I appreciate your knowledge and understanding of the world, but para-raid devices or their like do not currently exist. Current brain technological communication does not cover the scope of the para-raid's function. To top this, not many people know about the brain-reading technology being developed, so it is still unfamiliar territory that will no doubt look silly and stupid to future generations when the technology becomes available (just like how internet depicted in the 90s makes no sense now we know how it works).
My issue is that for as grounded as this show is, the mechs are a real letdown. They feel ridiculous and unrealistic which contrasts the rest of the show that feels highly realistic.

UTMAN said:
theGodde said:
it's really not. Ideally the world should have been established in the first 2/3 episodes at most. But the best we get is A HINT from Shin that there are other nations than the two we have been introduced to.....

Yes it is. It is hinted that beyond the eastern border there might be someone out there. But who or what is that someone is a 2nd cour material. Once again don't expect the anime to give every answer for you at the beginning.
The rest of the world is irrelevant in the first season, because it's happening in San Magnloia and the communication is cut from the rest of the world. It doesn't matter whether you are aware of the fact that there are other countries or not, because it doesn't affect the story whatsoever.

I think you've missed my point. A hint isn't good enough. The subject of the conversation wasn't even really related to this key point. Part of establishing a world also means displaying the scope. As far as we're concerned up till now, only two nations exist. I was under the assumption that everyone else was already deleted by the legion and the Republic was humanity's last stand. The fact that this is not the case completely reframes the story and is definitely something we NEEDED to know from the start. The scope of a world is very important because it influences the scope of the story.

UTMAN said:
theGodde said:
EXPERTS huh? There are plenty of shitty teen novels that have won awards. Back in highschool I read the entire "award winning" ...

Well I know you don't like when people bring this out because it basically undermines your "muh bad writing" arguments. Also the LN first volume was written for a CONTEST, which means that it was unknown, so winning because it's "popular" is not the case, so at the time and won by just being a good piece of art. After it won it started the seriealization, BTW this is one of the main reason why you don't really know a lot of shit about the wider world. THe LN had to stand on their own and not just a part of the story, so what you watch now was written as a one-shot in mind. But since it became a series you will get your asnwers, but in 2nd cour.
From the perspective of a self-contained story, this series is above average for sure. It's got a large self-contained world that feels as if you're being inserted into the world rather than the world has been made solely to serve the story. It has characters with backstories and past histories as well as motivations that continue into the future. And it's got all the cliches and tropes that anime fans love. I can understand how this would win a novel contest, but that doesn't make it a good anime.

Being lavished with praise does not reduce or remove it's flaws. Just like how I love Coyboy Bebop, I still have to acknowledge that the show's episodic nature can be a turnoff to people who don't connect with the characters, or how many episodic plots are reimaginings of popular western films and stories. These flaws are significant enough to completely ruin Cowboy Bebop for some people.

The same can be said for 86 (but in the reverse). The characters are awful. They're cliched, bland, unrealistic, and not really all that relatable. The draw for this show comes from the world and story - which I don't particularly like the former because I'm a University student studying engineering, and the latter I just hate because I feel like I've seen it before.

No matter how many important people praise it, this will not eliminate its flaws - and based on the MAL review, a fair majority of people dislike this anime. It has 3-4 star reviews literally on the front page.

UTMAN said:
theGodde said:
and I agree - to an extent - that incompetent people can be put in places of power and influence. World history has demonstrated this. But the thing is that no one has ever gone so far as to appoint teenagers in positions of high authority in the military based solely on connections. And there are different ways in which you can be good at your job. One is having the required skills - which Lena does.....

Well this being appointed as a teen is an anime trope, if this bothers you so much I don't think most of the animes are for you. Also when you want to convey an naive/inexperienced girl personality, the younger she is the better. Also this gives room for nice character developement. Later on the LN-s she will be 18 already for example.

Yeah I agree she is insubortinate a lot, but since she has a friend in higher-ups so a lot of this are looked over. He is the one who should punish her but since he doesn't do that. Also if you can get away with someone you'll do some other stuff again. Also I assure you the usement of mortars by Lena won't go overlooked this time.

Her low casulty rate is not necessary a bad thing. Since the Republic wants to "dacne" around the 2 years period. So they want as much dead 86-ers as possible by then, but if they die a lot faster it can be a problem. Since then there will be no one to defend the walls.

Also not having a competent millitary command. Well it's kinda true, but kinda not. The millitary command succesfully managed to
- banish all the 86-ers
- set up a safe zone with walls/minefield
- would probably succeed in killing most of the 86-ers by the end of 2 years.
Also having a non-competent leadership is nothing new. There are IRL examples of that. For example look ath 1526 battle of Mohás Hungary side. The whole Hugnarian army/command and backbone of the country was so incompetent that after losing that battle in 1541 the capital was lost. Or you can search up the Red Purge and look at the Soviet's commanders after that. They were super incompetent, so much that the Soviet Union couldn't capture Finland, and almost lost to Nazi germany, weren't for the US lend leasing. So my point is having an innefective commandership is nothing new, and plausible. Since it happened a lot of times in our real time too. Also the Republic will pay the price for neglecting this matter, hopefully you can see it in this season's last episode, or in the next season, because it will be adressed aswell.
I think the fact that it's an anime trope doesn't excuse its execution at all. There are times when inserting a teenage waifu protagonist works, and times when it doesn't.

as for the insubordination and low casualty rate - this is to do with military incompetence and it's stupid on every level.

Now for the as for the success of the republic military, these are small feats at best. The imprisonment of all 86s was likely not done by the military as that is a domestic issue - I would assume the republic equivalent of the SS handled that (maybe republic FBI idk? This isn't explained but unlike other glaring issues it's not really an important issue worth complaining about).

Now as for the non-competent leadership you're mentioning here, Hungary was most definitely incompetent, but this was due to a variety of circumstances including - government interference, absence of proper support from Germany, tiny population, half their military being siphoned off to go fight in the Soviet Union, and many other things like that.

Now as for the Red Purge, you're kinda shooting yourself in the foot for bringing that up. Stalin literally killed off the entire chain of command, and then within several months, a competent command structure rose up to defend the German invasion. Finland was a travesty that was a direct result of the Red Purge, and there is no way that the Republic could have possibly lost its entire chain of command even if it did eliminate all 86 soldiers from the chain of command.

Also Germany could have never defeated the soviet union. Initially they believed that if they took down Moscow then the entire soviet front would have collapsed and the USSR would be forced to surrender. But as was demonstrated later in the war when the Soviets moved all their factories to the Urals, they were more than capable of waging war even without their capital. So even if the Nazis had of succeeding in their goal of taking the capital, there was no way they could have defeated the soviet union (and they never even stood a chance of that because of the supply system). The fact is that the second the Soviet chain of command was recovered, Germany essentially got screwed over. Bogged down in Stalingrad. Unable to advance because of an onslaught of soviet forces. However that's another point entirely.

There are no excuses for the level of incompetence displayed in 86. They transcend regular incompetence to prioritise executing the 86 over winning the war. The Nazis provide a perfect historical example of how to go about exterminating your local minority gang and winning a war. The way the Republic is going about it not only makes no sense, but also defeats the very reason they did the thing in the first place. That circular logic I mentioned before. This is a flaw. An undisputable flaw.

on a more positive note, despite the increasing escalation of these discussions, I do feel like we are starting to find some common ground and coming to agreements more often. I'm feeling like this discussion is making progress. Sure we won't agree on everything, but I feel like we might be able to come to a universal conclusion on several hot topics we're discussing right now
Jun 7, 2021 2:46 AM
Jun 2020
How can you write this long essay 🤣
Jun 7, 2021 3:25 AM
May 2008
theGodde said:
Airburst munitions are pretty cheap and not complex to make. However this is fiction so I guess market prices really are up to them. The biggest flaw with this is that the require essentially the same components as the 86's mechs and ammunition. So if they can't build airburst munitions then how are they able to build mechs? Again at this point I've basically iterated every possible aspect of this problem and it's started to feel like a nitpick because I've invested so much thought into it.

As for the *not using it because it would decrease morale*, as we know the 86 are not fighting because they're forced to. They are fighting because they believe that their death is inevitable either way. A couple of faulty airburst mortars are not going to change this mindset. This is a poor excuse for why they're not used more. And it ties back to an incompetent military which I'll go into further detail when I address your main point

They whole point is that they can't build mechs/artillery etc. And if they do it's very low quality. You can carve the armor with an army knife. That's the mech.

It doen't matter if it's cheap or not. If you don't have the raw material to do it in large quantities.

That's awesome that YOU know why the 86 are fighting, the repuplic doesn't. You have a lot more information than the Republic. Also the 86 doesn't know that half of the mortars are not working. They just assume. So we don't know what they would do with that information.

theGodde said:
To me the general rule of storytelling is - unless you don't have a reason for your audience to not be clued in on something, then you probably should. This is especially true for sci-fi, where there are many concepts that the audience may not be familiar with and you will need to clue them in. These explanations can come in many forms. But they must come in SOME form. When you introduce a concept, the audience should be familiar with how and why it works within the timeframe in which the audience will be expected to remember it.

Im not gonna quote the whole thing because it's getting long enough now already.

I already told you that the main source WILL explain it. You don't have to explain everything at the moment of introduction. There are mysteries/secrets that the characters and viewers has to think and realise later.

Take for example One Piece. They introduced a small child like ghost in Skypiea Arc and the ship was miracolously repaired by the morning. (klabautermann) This thing was explained WAY later, houndreds of chapterss on after the end of ennies lobby arc. Which is like 2-3 arcs later.

I kinda get your LN sentence. However I still haven't read everything and also don't have all the answers. I'm still at volume 3. However I don't expect the anime/LN to give me everythign at once. You will get your answers, but later on.

Also your comment about not having a similar techology to para-raid. Well we don't have any colony on Mars either, yet Spike was born there. So it's unrealistic, bad shit writing, Cowboy Bepop worst anime ever! /sarcasm

That's not how sci-fi technology work. You can take a single concept that exist in our real world. Like interstellar travel, and you can expand it in the Sci-fi with pseudo science.
Also your comments on Mecha's being unrealistic. Yeah mecha's ARE unrealistic. Every mecha is unrealistic. There's a reason why the modern army is not using vehicles that has legs etc. It feels like your issues are with the mecha genre then.

""oh my goodness what is that?"" - Well Shin didn't say anything but you could definetely see on his face expression that he did not expect /know what are those arms.
https://imgur.com/t4EbgY5

theGodde said:
From the perspective of a self-contained story, this series is above average for sure. It's got a large self-contained world that feels as if you're being inserted into the world rather than the world has been made solely to serve the story. It has characters with backstories and past histories as well as motivations that continue into the future. And it's got all the cliches and tropes that anime fans love. I can understand how this would win a novel contest, but that doesn't make it a good anime....

Once again the story was supposed to be a stand alone. So you can't really blame the author not fleshing out smaller characters in more details. Her focus is on Lena and Shin mostly. They get a lot more background than other.

I kinda agree that the other supporting cast would deserve some more details. The other 4 will play a bit more role in the 2nd cour for example.

I don't agree that they are unrealistic. Stop calling everything you don't like unrealistic. It feels like those SJW-s who don't like anything it's racism or something -ism. You don't know how characters would react in this situation, since idk if you are enlisted and were enlisted in your past. Since you are an universsity student. Also the show is written with the council of a military expert.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Kenichi_Kaneko
So please don't be offended when I beleive him more than you on what's realistic in a military scenario and what is not.

Your coment on reviews, if you look at them firstly they are coming from people who watched only 4! episodes. Secondly, there were a lot of 10 reviews aswell. However MAL deleted them few days ago. But for some reason it left the low scorings up. The top review was made by addie1998 with a 10 rating. It got deleted by the mods. So there's that. Also the rating from 7.9 it soared to 8.01 in the last 4 episodes and it keeps going up.

theGodde said:
I think you've missed my point. A hint isn't good enough. The subject of the conversation wasn't even really related to this key point. Part of establishing a world also means displaying the scope. As far as we're concerned up till now, only two nations exist. I was under the assumption that everyone else was already deleted by the legion and the Republic was humanity's last stand. The fact that this is not the case completely reframes the story and is definitely something we NEEDED to know from the start. The scope of a world is very important because it influences the scope of the story.

And congrats you said the important point. "I was under the assumption that everyone else was already deleted by the legion and the Republic was humanity's last stand. " This is what the Republic beleives too. It was mentioned multiple times that they have absulutely NO idea who lives or who doesn't. This is why I said it's irrelevant whether people are alive or not. When it becomes relevant, is 2nd cour and the anime will tell you what countries that are fighting the legion.

theGodde said:
I think the fact that it's an anime trope doesn't excuse its execution at all. There are times when inserting a teenage waifu protagonist works, and times when it doesn't....

Once again, if you want to convey a naive person who doesn't really know how the world works, a younger person 16-18 is the perfect age range. It would be weird to have a 24 or 30 year old MC who would be acting all surprised about all these new information. This is the story what the author WANTS to tell, so a younger protag suits the story just well.

I agree that the Republic's military is incompetent, but as I said in my previous point they gonna pay the price.

The Hungary reference was not a WW2 example. I even told you the years. 1526 and 1541. There was no Germany then and no Soviet union. There was the Ottomam Empire down the south and Austria to the West.

Hungary had a very good king from 1458-1490. (Mathias Corvinus) After his death the Hungarian Nobles elected a weak king that they can manipuilate. Also defunded the Black Army which main task was to stop the Ottomans. After 36 years, the Ottomans attacked, decimated the Hungarian army, then 15 years later they captured the capital Buda and Hungary ceased to exist and not come back to the map for +400 years. Yeah. Also I could give you another Hungarian example. Battle of Muhi. 1241. The Hungarian Nobles hated the current king and did not lend their army to aid him against he Mongols. The king lost, but after he lost the Mongol army ravaged whole Hungary killing the whole center/eastern part of it.

No germany absolutely could have defeated the Soviets. Doesn't matter if you move your factories to the right, if you can't feed your workers. All of Soviet Russia's aggricultural land was occupied by Germans. The US Lend leased a TON of food and this is the main reason. Without the US, Russia would have starved out.
https://www.rferl.org/a/did-us-lend-lease-aid-tip-the-balance-in-soviet-fight-against-nazi-germany/30599486.html

Also it doesn't matter whether a competent got raised or not. Russia paid a LOT of blood for incompetence.

Also if you look at the 86 leadership by an alba viewpoint. They are not really incompetent.
- They managed to subdue the 86
- Legion couldn't defeat the republic in 8 years (they beleive because they are competent, not because the Legion doesn't want the republic dead yet)
- Legion numbers assumingly reduced by 50%

They have 0 reason to beleive that they are incompetent. THe moment they realise this it will be all over. Just like the Russions realied this when the Germans was knocking at Moscow's door and them begging the US for food. To change the current goverment people need to realise first that they are incompetent. This has not yet came to the Republic. The Legion is not at the wall's and killing Alba people yet.

On your last note. I totally agree. I feel you listening to my points and I also think that this talk is fruitful. I hope that later on when the anime gives you a more whole picture regarding what we are talking about will change your idea on it for the better.
UTMANJun 7, 2021 5:32 AM
Jun 7, 2021 6:21 AM
Apr 2021
UTMAN said:
theGodde said:

Im not gonna quote the whole thing because it's getting long enough now already.

I already told you that the main source WILL explain it. You don't have to explain everything at the moment of introduction. There are mysteries/secrets that the characters and viewers has to think and realise later.

Take for example One Piece. They introduced a small child like ghost in Skypiea Arc and the ship was miracolously repaired by the morning. (klabautermann) This thing was explained WAY later, houndreds of chapterss on after the end of ennies lobby arc. Which is like 2-3 arcs later.

I kinda get your LN sentence. However I still haven't read everything and also don't have all the answers. I'm still at volume 3. However I don't expect the anime/LN to give me everythign at once. You will get your answers, but later on.

Also your comment about not having a similar techology to para-raid. Well we don't have any colony on Mars either, yet Spike was born there. So it's unrealistic, bad shit writing, Cowboy Bepop worst anime ever! /sarcasm

That's not how sci-fi technology work. You can take a single concept that exist in our real world. Like interstellar travel, and you can expand it in the Sci-fi with pseudo science.
Also your comments on Mecha's being unrealistic. Yeah mecha's ARE unrealistic. Every mecha is unrealistic. There's a reason why the modern army is not using vehicles that has legs etc. It feels like your issues are with the mecha genre then.

""oh my goodness what is that?"" - Well Shin didn't say anything but you could definetely see on his face expression that he did not expect /know what are those arms.
https://imgur.com/t4EbgY5.

as for Shin's expression, the issue is it can be interpreted a variety of ways. Before I went and asked on here, I thought he was either thinking "what is that?" or "my goodness I can't believe they're using that". All we can surmise from that is that the use of the arms was surprising, not necessarily unfamiliar. I thought about this a fair bit too much during the episode lmao.

Now you seem to have missed my point with the setting stuff (mainly because I rambled for 2-3 paragraphs about something and then made a completely different conclusion as I was basically reasoning as I was writing). My point was that they needed to make it more clear that this was also something new to the 86. It was a little too ambiguous for a piece of technology that very nearly decided the outcome of a battle.

As for the telepathy gear (yes I will keep calling it that -fight me), I was not criticising it at all, although it may have seemed that way. Wait... what did I actually say about it? Looking back I was originally going there with it and then I had this like 10 minute philosophy moment about how media representation of technology changes with time.
But yeah my main point was that the telepathy gear is a concept people don't understand so you have creative liberties with it. What you shouldn't have creative liberties with is... physics. Which is why I hate the spider mechs. [At least humanoid mechas are somewhat feasible because their legs are capable of supporting their body weight. Spider mechs have these tiny spindly legs - and because of physics (again, it's a little inconvenient all this logic and reasoning eh) weight increases greater than size increases, and I can assure you no futuristic skinny leg motor would be able to withstand the torque from the sheer weight of that big body and massive recoilless rifle.]

and yes I do have big problems with the mecha genre, which is why I'm not a massive fan of it (although sometimes I can appreciate the aesthetic - like with some of the better gundam entries and eva/pacific rim). I think this is a reason why a lot of people don't enjoy mecha anymore. It's because mecha anime keeps trying to tell more grounded and realistic stories that don't really sit well with the big boi human robots. (at least that's my take. I'm probably wrong though because behavioural science actually requires statistics and logical reasoning)

UTMAN said:
theGodde said:
From the perspective of a self-contained story, this series is above average for sure. It's got a large self-contained world that feels as if you're being inserted into the world rather than the world has been made solely to serve the story. It has characters with backstories and past histories as well as motivations that continue into the future. And it's got all the cliches and tropes that anime fans love. I can understand how this would win a novel contest, but that doesn't make it a good anime....

Once again the story was supposed to be a stand alone. So you can't really blame the author not fleshing out smaller characters in more details. Her focus is on Lena and Shin mostly. They get a lot more background than other.

I kinda agree that the other supporting cast would deserve some more details. The other 4 will play a bit more role in the 2nd cour for example.

I don't agree that they are unrealistic. Stop calling everything you don't like unrealistic. It feels like those SJW-s who don't like anything it's racism or something -ism. You don't know how characters would react in this situation, since idk if you are enlisted and were enlisted in your past. Since you are an universsity student. Also the show is written with the council of a military expert.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Kenichi_Kaneko
So please don't be offended when I beleive him more than you on what's realistic in a military scenario and what is not.

Your coment on reviews, if you look at them firstly they are coming from people who watched only 4! episodes. Secondly, there were a lot of 10 reviews aswell. However MAL deleted them few days ago. But for some reason it left the low scorings up. The top review was made by addie1998 with a 10 rating. It got deleted by the mods. So there's that. Also the rating from 7.9 it soared to 8.01 in the last 4 episodes and it keeps going up.

it's something the LN has an excuse for, since like you said it was originally written as a standalone. It could have been rewritten to expand the story and better flow with sequels, but that's not entirely necessary and I'm more than willing to let that pass with no consequences.

However the anime doesn't have that excuse. It shouldn't follow the LN to a T. The LN isn't perfect, and the adaptation arguably should be its own thing, able to stand on its own two feet even when the LN is taken out of the picture. If you see a glaring flaw in your source material (like criminally underwritten characters) then why not put in some time to fix this up. So far I haven't really seen anyone comment "this episode they added something that wasn't in the LN and I think it really improved the story" at all. Because the anime is following the LN so rigidly, it doesn't really get the chance to be its own thing. And that's a real shame to me because without the background of the LN this adaptation feels lifeless. It feels like a series of cool events that are being ticked off the LN checklist as they happen. And it's difficult to explain where in the direction this could be improved (I'll give it a rewatch once the series finishes and see if I can pinpoint what is making me feel this).

for reference, I was an air force cadet, and my father was ex RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force), so I have a pretty extensive military background and a lot of my family friends are from the military. People who have served have this entirely different vibe to them. Anyone that has had to take a life changes in some way, and if you look hard enough you can notice it. There's a look I see when I look at professional soldiers. This lifeless look that tells me that they have taken lives. My Cadet CO was ex-SOS (kinda like Commonwealth Navy Seals I guess?) and he was a really normal guy - on the outside. But there was just something about him that set him apart from everyone else. He just had this different vibe. And in a lot of war dramas, I can feel this vibe from the characters. Saving Private Ryan, the Hurt Locker, even Akito sold me on this feeling. I just don't get the same feeling from the 86 characters.

-by far my favourite depiction of child soldiers is Gundam Frame: Iron Blooded Orphans. They feel like their childhoods have been stolen. You can really feel the cost of war on their lives. And that is what I was expecting with the 86. Just growing up in a concentration camp should change you enough that you stop acting like normal teenagers. These guys are holocaust survivors that then volunteered to go die on a battlefield. What kind of person lives like that and acts like a normal teenager?

As for the military guy, I can't read Japanese and the auto-translators are shit, so his twitter really doesn't give me much other than tell me he exists. What I'll say is that I can see his handiwork in plenty of places. The fact that the 86's mechs use recoilless rifles rather than conventional cannons is a really cool small detail that just increases the realism for me. The way the HE-VT mortars worked was also really realistic and satisfying to see accurately portrayed (which is why I keep bringing them up). But I don't know much about the guy. I don't know how much he actually contributed. I really don't know enough to say that this guy had a hand in the characters at all. For all we know, he could have just been a creative consultant on the military technology.
Which should mean that any issues with the tech and world building deserve even more criticism - since you can't argue that "it's just anime" since they literally brought in a military guy to get this stuff right.

on a positive note, I'm glad that the assumptions I got based on obviously hints from the show were actually what it wanted me to think, and that the show was actually doing a good job, and the entire "other nations" thing was just a big misunderstanding on our part.

I'll probably end it here because I am an armchair expert on soviet warfare since I'm obsessed with it. Suffice to say Germany could never have won - their own generals admitted that after the war. The guy who negotiated the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact (I'm not smart, I did have to look that up) actually said to his soviet compatriot that the German government's decision to do this was a terrible idea and they were destined to lose.
Also the US definitely contributed to the Soviet's ability to wage war, but not as much as you think to their overall success. Americans like to give themselves more credit than they deserve, and I personally think this is a case of exactly that.
sadly I know nothing about Hungarian history pre-WW2 and misread your original post. I'd like to explain how 86 is even dumber than that and you should stop defending it's stupid-ass military but I can't because I genuinely know nothing about Hungarian history. But if I did, that's what I would say regardless of what that history says, so it's probably better that I don't since it's all time wasted.

While I think we are making ground, I am actually starting to forget most of the problems I originally had with 86 because I've spent more time arguing on these forums then actually watching the show, and when I rewatch it I'll come back with them and we'll probably go back to ground zero.
Jun 7, 2021 6:33 AM
Nov 2020
Where is it that they're headed to at the end of the epidose and why? I've completely forgotten what their orders were lol they set to a legion camp or base or something right?
Jun 7, 2021 6:55 AM
Jan 2021
Fede111 said:
Where is it that they're headed to at the end of the epidose and why? I've completely forgotten what their orders were lol they set to a legion camp or base or something right?

There's a forum in this series that titled of "im sorry,what" that is were the answer your looking for
Jun 7, 2021 7:13 AM
Mar 2019
God knows how I want to love this show like any of you do, but this episode was anticlimatic for me. I genuinely loved the previous episodes and kinda expecting more in the conclusion. The decisive battle between Shin and his brother ended too quickly that I find it greatly lacking of luster, not to mention the usage of literal representations of Shourei's (more accurately, the legion's) thought of holding onto Shin with the robot's molding that should've been metaphorical is honestly unappealing. That isn't what I am expecting, given that they teased an intriguing post-credit scene last episode. I might or might not read the light novel if I ever found a reason to. Nevertheless, the dedication in the whole production of 86 is evident and for that reason alone does this show deserved every bit of praises it is getting. 2 more episodes to go!
suzuyakennJun 7, 2021 7:17 AM
I love K-On, and so should you.

Pages (10) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2021

242 by ILLARX »»
Yesterday, 1:00 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2021

380 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 14, 10:42 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2021

430 by grizmuth »»
Apr 5, 5:57 PM

» 86 LN starts its Final Arc with the next Light Novel volume 14.

darksideee - Jan 11

24 by SSRSyt »»
Apr 3, 10:22 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2021

259 by ILLARX »»
Apr 2, 12:00 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.