Forum Settings
Forums

Series That Were Popular When You Became A Fan (But Obscure Now)

New
Jun 6, 2021 9:08 PM
otp haver ๐Ÿคช

Jul 2017
So I was showing my friend what used to be old AMV and meme from the ancient times (2005-2009) and realized a lot of anime shown used to be at least popular imagery on boards but if anybody even heard or cares about Angel Dokuro-Chan or School Rumble but I couldn't go anywhere back then without seeing either the OP animations or references.

Anime like Haruhi, Lucky Star, and even Azumanga Daioh have really held up and are still constant favorites.

I'd like to see what people remember of joining or at least what's dropped off popularity wise.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 6, 2021 9:24 PM

Jul 2017
Bakugan used to be the shit, and was really thriving back when I was growing up with it. No one speaks of it now tho lol.

Jun 6, 2021 9:32 PM

Sep 2020
Your Name was the most popular anime and it also made me anime fan , it was the first anime I have seen , I checked it out out of curiosity to know how good it was...
Jun 6, 2021 9:34 PM
Feb 2017
Didn't Nisekoi used to be the most trendy harem at some point? Feels like everyone's moved on now, though I do see it referenced a lot in regards to The Quintessential Quintuplet's ending
It's Aiko!!!!
Jun 6, 2021 9:35 PM

Oct 2018
Shingeki no Kyojin was pretty popular when I started, but right now, after that sad 3rd season, followed by the train-wreck called Shingeki no Kyojin the Final Season part 1, it kinda died.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jun 6, 2021 9:39 PM

Apr 2021
Inuyasha. It sort of came back (briefly) when the new series was announced but other than that, I haven't really heard or seen people talking about it for quite a long time.
Jun 6, 2021 9:40 PM

Jul 2013
Phosphophyllita said:
Shingeki no Kyojin was pretty popular when I started, but right now, after that sad 3rd season, followed by the train-wreck called Shingeki no Kyojin the Final Season part 1, it kinda died.

Way to use a completely unrelated topic to do your petty personal venting. It hasn't lost any momentum, you're just mad about stupid shit and making stuff up to let off steam
Jun 6, 2021 9:41 PM

Oct 2018
bledsoe60 said:
Phosphophyllita said:

Way to use a completely unrelated topic to do your petty personal venting. It hasn't lost any momentum, you're just mad about stupid shit and making stuff up to let off steam

Take it easy, fanboy. Here where I live people barely talk about Shingeki.
Kimetsu and Jujutsu became the main topic.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jun 6, 2021 9:41 PM
otp haver ๐Ÿคช

Jul 2017
Phosphophyllita said:

I feel after the final season gets adapted, it'll essentially "Game of Throne" itself and never be spoken about again.

Attackonfiller said:
Bakugan used to be the shit, and was really thriving back when I was growing up with it. No one speaks of it now tho lol.

Funnily enough I saw a popular Tiktok going around about Beyblade of all damn things; I know it's not the same but those kind of series in general shock me now nostalgia they are for many.
Jun 6, 2021 9:43 PM

Sep 2018
Seitokai yakuindomo, School Rumble, My Bride is a Mermaid are major ones I thought of.
Jun 6, 2021 9:44 PM

Sep 2020
Phosphophyllita said:
I don't know from which planet you have come from , but AOT S4 P1 was most popular and hyped up anime, Every episode was trending on twitter and major of the people in anime community in verious social media was talking about AOT S4
Jun 6, 2021 9:47 PM

Jun 2017
i honestly don't think i've been around enough for anything to go from popular to totally 'obscure'

Phosphophyllita said:
bledsoe60 said:

Take it easy, fanboy. Here where I live people barely talk about Shingeki.
Kimetsu and Jujutsu became the main topic.

AOT is still very popular lmaoo

eDiT 666TH POST HAIL SATAN
Jun 6, 2021 9:59 PM
Dec 2017
Anyone remember Idaten Jump? no well looks like i'm the only one.

ยฏ\_(ใƒ„)_/ยฏ

Nov 2012
*takes a deep breath*
Haruhi, Maid-Sama, Love Hina, Negima, Lucky Star, Hetalia, Kuroshitsuji, Ouran!
(These were at least what was widely talked about between my classmates in middle school, aside from the big names like Naruto and Bleach.)

Some of those I think are still considered classics, but I definitely don't hear anybody talking about them lately.
Some of them I'm glad nobody talks about them.

I think I would have listed Inuyasha and Fruits Basket in there as well, if it wasn't for the recent sequel and remake, respectively.

ไบคใ‚ใ—ใŸ็ด„ๆŸๅฟ˜ใ‚Œใชใ„ใ‚ˆ

Dec 2020
Pandora Hearts, Shakugan no Shana, Ueki no Housoku
Jun 6, 2021 10:04 PM
otp haver ๐Ÿคช

Jul 2017
friendlypickle said:
*takes a deep breath*
Haruhi, Maid-Sama, Love Hina, Negima, Lucky Star, Hetalia, Kuroshitsuji, Ouran!
(These were at least what was widely talked about between my classmates in middle school, aside from the big names like Naruto and Bleach.)

Negima was the huge harem series but I didn't know about the anime till years later and I think Funimation was still trying to hype it up for no good reason. People will reference Maid-sama mostly to talk about how hot Takumi Usui is but I'll just blame Nobuhiko out of pocket for that one. Hetalia is also getting a revival; it should have stayed buried but it makes money so I get it.
Jun 6, 2021 10:08 PM

Apr 2021
Yu-gi-oh! was the only thing my friends and I talk about back in middle school. But sadly it died.
beep!
MAL's Little Raccoon #2
made by hearingnote

matching w/ sekai-

Jun 6, 2021 10:10 PM

Aug 2011
Did anyone remember Zatch Bell? It showed on Toonami when I first got into anime and I remember it airing alongside Naruto and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
desu desu binches
Jun 6, 2021 10:11 PM
otp haver ๐Ÿคช

Jul 2017
Heswee said:

I blame AMV/MMV makers for those first two being as popular as they were. That third one though. It looks like a fake anime.

Crow_Black said:

I have never ever ever heard of this and the top reviews are all 10's and 9's. I'm getting bamboozled. It's the only explanation.

Jeff_Caesar said:
Card-game anime come to mind. Back then in my schools every kid had a deck of Yugioh or even more unheard of nowadays, Cardfight Vanguard :)

I think the card game scene is still rampantly popular for YGO and when I went to see Dark Side of Dimensions the theater was PACKED. I think it's because newer seasons are hit or miss. Had no strong urge to watch Vrains. Maybe if they were even thinly connected in a JJBA kinda way people would be more interested but it's more easter eggs then connected. Not to mention much of the card community isn't a fan of the series because they don't play the game CORRECTLY. *laughs*
Jun 6, 2021 10:16 PM

Jun 2013
Phosphophyllita said:

Lol, no it didn't. And I'm not even fanboying. AoT just simply didn't die at all, it's as popular as ever.
Jun 6, 2021 10:28 PM

Aug 2010
Ouran, Maid-Sama, D.N.Angel, Vampire Knight, Hetalia and obviously Big 3 (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, later Black Butler
Jun 6, 2021 10:29 PM

Feb 2020
Crow_Black said:

yes, i remember. Brings back memories

maybe blue dragon?

Kiteretsu Daihyakka and perman (from doraemon creator). especially kiteretsu was as popular as doraemon
luckyman was also pretty popular back then. maybe Anpanman too
AdampkJun 6, 2021 10:39 PM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jun 6, 2021 10:45 PM
otp haver ๐Ÿคช

Jul 2017
cornonacob said:
Did anyone remember Zatch Bell? It showed on Toonami when I first got into anime and I remember it airing alongside Naruto and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

Some guy on my twitter will not shut up about it. I did watch it and like it but from what I remember the anime didn't get fully adapted. It could probably use a readaptation, the nostalgia is def there and it has a solid ending.
Jun 6, 2021 11:11 PM

Jan 2020
I remember Maou Gakuin has a big hype then when Goku vs Saitama vs Rimuru vs Anos debate is still popular but I don't see any hype about that show anymore now
ะฅะฐะนะดะต, ั…ะฐะนะดะต, ั…ะฐะนะดะต, ั‚ะพะฒะฐ ะต ะฟัŠั€ะฒะฐั‚ะฐ ะทะพะฝะฐ, ะฑั€ะฐั‚ะพ, ะฟัŠั€ะฒะฐ ะทะพะฝะฐ, ะฟัŠั€ะฒะฐ ะทะพะฝะฐ, ะดะพะฑั€ะต, ะดะพะฑั€ะต, ะดะพะฑั€ะต, ั‚ะพะฒะฐ ัั‚ะฐะฒะฐ ั‚ัƒะบ ะณะพั€ะต, ะพั‚ะธะฒะฐ ั‚ัƒะบ ะณะพั€ะต, ัะฐะผะพ ัะฟะพะบะพะนะฝะพ, ัะฐะผะพ ัะฟะพะบะพะนะฝะพ... ะฅะฐ, ะพั‚ะดััะฝะพ ะต, ะฝะฐะฒััะบัŠะดะต ะพั‚ะดััะฝะพ ะพั‚ะดััะฝะพ ะบัŠะดะต ะต ะดััะฝะพั‚ะพ ั‚ะธ ะพ ะดะฐ ะดะพะฑั€ะต ะดะพะฑั€ะต ะดะพะฑั€ะต ั‚ะธั…ะพ ะผัŠะปั‡ะฐะปะธะฒะพ ะฝะต ัƒัะฟัั… ะดะฐ ัะต ััŠัั€ะตะดะพั‚ะพั‡ะฐ ะฒัŠั€ั…ัƒ ั‚ะพะฒะฐ ะ•ะฅ ะขะชะŸะะš ะšะžะ“ะะขะž ะกะ˜ ะ‘ะะ’ะะž ะ‘ะะ’ะะž ... ะพะน ะต ะฟัƒั‚ะบะฐั‚ะฐ ะฝะฐ ะผะพะตั‚ะพ ะผะพะผะธั‡ะต ะฟั€ะฐัะต ะบัƒั‡ะต, ะฐะท ะงัƒะฒัั‚ะฒะฐะผ ัะต ะดะพะฑั€ะต, ะพ, ะผะฐะผะพ, *ัˆะฐะผะฐั€*, ะบะฐะบะฒะพ ะต ั‚ะพะฒะฐ ะณะพัะฟะพะถะธั†ะต ั‚ะฐั‚ะบะพ-
Jun 6, 2021 11:13 PM
Jul 2018
Seven deadly sins, it used to be very popular. Now no one talks abt it even when it's airing.

Crow_Black said:

cornonacob said:

Haven't heard these names in a long while, those mountain bikes and spells used to be so hype as a kid.
Jun 6, 2021 11:38 PM
otp haver ๐Ÿคช

Jul 2017
Borshta said:
Seven deadly sins, it used to be very popular. Now no one talks abt it even when it's airing.

Online no but weirdly enough I've had it talked to me about by normies in public 3 separate times. Thanks Netflix.
Jun 7, 2021 2:28 AM

Oct 2008
Zero no Tsukaima
Toradora
Shakugan no shana
Jun 7, 2021 6:30 AM

Feb 2016
I watched The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya long after its hype died out. Fans were still talking about Disappearance, however.

Stripes said:
I think the card game scene is still rampantly popular for YGO and when I went to see Dark Side of Dimensions the theater was PACKED. I think it's because newer seasons are hit or miss. Had no strong urge to watch Vrains. Maybe if they were even thinly connected in a JJBA kinda way people would be more interested but it's more easter eggs then connected. Not to mention much of the card community isn't a fan of the series because they don't play the game CORRECTLY. *laughs*

I quit watching Yu-Gi-Oh because I quit playing the card game. What's the point in watching an ad if I have no interest in whatever's being advertised?
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Jun 7, 2021 7:06 AM
otp haver ๐Ÿคช

Jul 2017
Lucifrost said:
Stripes said:

I quit watching Yu-Gi-Oh because I quit playing the card game. What's the point in watching an ad if I have no interest in whatever's being advertised?

I get that the series is an ad essentially but I mean it does have a story, that sometimes is enjoyable. Especially the first couple seasons. I feel like the game and the series are separate though. Kind of how Pokemon is.
Jun 7, 2021 7:27 AM

Feb 2016
Classic Yu-Gi-Oh still works as a standalone, as the manga predates the game. But by the time GX rolled around, I could no longer separate them. As someone with no prior investment in anything 5Ds has to offer, I can't bring myself to give it a chance.
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Jun 7, 2021 6:20 PM
otp haver ๐Ÿคช

Jul 2017
zieek said:
Zero no Tsukaima
Toradora
Shakugan no shana

The Rie Kugimiya effect was so strong back then.
Jun 7, 2021 6:42 PM

Mar 2017
Most of the first anime I watched (that weren't movies) were already a few years old at the time, and many were still being talked about.

The first seasonal I watched while it was airing was "Blend S". It still comes up now and then but I don't see it being discussed very often.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Jun 7, 2021 6:45 PM
Oct 2017
Stripes said:
zieek said:
Zero no Tsukaima
Toradora
Shakugan no shana

The Rie Kugimiya effect was so strong back then.

Although I started watching anime a few years after these anime were initially broadcast, after catching up on them today I can say Shana and Louis were and are the only anime characters I fell in love with. I was still a teenager at the time though. I proposed the viewing of these anime to a friend and he fell in love with them too. They were the shit. I think we can say they were the first waifu material in anime history?

Anyway zero no tsukaima was my favorite, it had the isekai incipit that no one else had at the time. I remember the season 2 finale caused me a terrible void that lasted for months. Damn. It makes me feel so old to see these anime rated so low on MAL today.
Jun 8, 2021 4:25 PM
otp haver ๐Ÿคช

Jul 2017
mwalimu said:
The first seasonal I watched while it was airing was "Blend S". It still comes up now and then but I don't see it being discussed very often.

I feel like series that only get hyped on OP/ED are doomed to fall into obscurity, drop Eromanga and Domestic Girlfriend into the same bucket.
Jun 8, 2021 4:33 PM

Feb 2016
i feel like devilman crybaby got a lot of talk when it first came out, but i don't see a lot of people talk about it now, may be due to it's completed storyline. i've noticed anything that isn't a shounen loses fame pretty quickly.
Jun 8, 2021 5:09 PM

Oct 2018
Crow_Black said:

I do, and it still is one of my favourites that I watched in my childhood on TV. Sadly, I never got to know the ending because they stopped the broadcast mid way in the last arc(?) in my country. I do plan to rewatch it completely someday.

Jun 9, 2021 12:10 PM
otp haver ๐Ÿคช

Jul 2017
I was so kindly reminded of Elfen Lied today by this wonderful video, I personally have and always will think it's hot garbage but hey, I can't deny it's significance;;;;unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trwdaJA-6z8
Jun 9, 2021 12:29 PM
Oct 2020
I would say assassination classroom, it used to be very popular, and don't get me wrong, it still has a very high score and a lot of favorites, but it just isn't discussed anymore
Jun 9, 2021 12:32 PM

Jul 2020
Blue exorcist has over a million members but barely gets any mentions in the community.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jun 9, 2021 2:45 PM

Oct 2018
Stripes said:

Anime like Haruhi, Lucky Star, and even Azumanga Daioh have really held up and are still constant favorites.
They are? Haruhi, I agree, but it sure has been a while since anyone ever mentioned Azumanga or Lucky Star. On that note, K-ON is another show that stood against the test of time.

Elfen Lied was pretty big here in Germany in the early to mid 00s, like big big big, On any Forum or any convention it would be constantly talked about. In retropesctive, it was kinda trash tho, that we can all agree on, I guess. Same goes for Gantz or these Ecchi battle shows like Ikki tousen. In general I would say the early 00s have had a lot of shows that fell into obscurity or were obscure to begin with.

If we look over to Japan, there are also some shows that I would call one time wonders. Infinite Stratos is a show that came to mind. Widely popular back then and kinda led to a resurgence of Harem anime, years later, nobody even remembers best girl Char. Interesting topic though, just shows you how anime trends come and go.

MaceChanJun 9, 2021 2:49 PM
Jun 9, 2021 3:00 PM

Oct 2017
I remember Eureka Seven being something commonly liked to some degree when I just starting getting into anime around 2008/2009. Haruhi and Lucky Star are the other two notable ones a lot of others that I am seeing like Inuyasha, Hetalia and Ouran are basically right. Shana was another one that was pretty popular that I also enjoyed that almost no new fan is going to know of.
BilboBaggins365Jun 9, 2021 3:03 PM
Jun 10, 2021 9:32 AM
otp haver ๐Ÿคช

Jul 2017
Scordolo said:
Blue exorcist has over a million members but barely gets any mentions in the community.

I think A-1 did a shit adaptation leaving it unmemorable.

CraTerDestroyer said:
I would say assassination classroom, it used to be very popular, and don't get me wrong, it still has a very high score and a lot of favorites, but it just isn't discussed anymore

The manga was one of the best selling for a small period of time, so weird how I don't see it talked about either.
Jun 10, 2021 8:43 PM

Jun 2007
Mainly shows like Chrono Crusade, Wolf's Rain, Elfen Lied, D.N. Angel, My-Hime, Scrapped Princess, and the original FMA. Basically stuff from the "Early BitTorrent" era of anime fansubbing. I remember when I first started hosting "Name That Tune" contests at my local anime convention, OP/ED from titles like these and other mid-2000s hits would be "Easy" tier, songs that nearly any contestant would instantly pick up on after a few notes. But by the time I stopped hosting those contests in 2016 (due to ascending to a higher position in convention staff, with more responsibilities), they were decidedly obscure, only identified by the "perennial contender" level contestants.

Though as a testament to their enduring appeal, all of the above titles except DN Angel are still in-print / legally streaming in the US.
Jun 10, 2021 8:45 PM

Jul 2019
The Devil is a Part-Timer! That anime was a phenomenon, my god. It's probably obsolete good isekai.

Jun 10, 2021 9:00 PM

Jul 2020
Heswee said:

New fan here, I watched Ueki a few months ago and really liked it. It doesn't have any fans these days, to the point where I actually didn't know that it was ever popular to begin with. What happened to its community anyway? Did it just get Thanos snapped?

"Truth is always a cruel thing."

Jun 10, 2021 9:04 PM

May 2014
I started watching anime in 2013/2014, so for me some of the titles that were popular (or considered to be really good) but don't get any attention nowadays would be: Noragami, Terror in Resonance, Barakamon, Blue Exorcist, Magi and Parasyte.

That's not to say that I think these shows should get more attention, but some of them definitely deserve their flowers. Not Blue Exorcist though, that show was so underwhelming.
Jun 10, 2021 9:33 PM

Dec 2020
triplepsycho said:
Heswee said:

New fan here, I watched Ueki a few months ago and really liked it. It doesn't have any fans these days, to the point where I actually didn't know that it was ever popular to begin with. What happened to its community anyway? Did it just get Thanos snapped?

Well, the anime used to be pretty popular in my country back when I was still in elementary school, don't know about internet back then so I can't speak about it's popularity in other places.

As for the community maybe everyone just forgot about it? I dunno since the last time I speak with someone irl who knows about this anime are around 4 years ago.
Jun 10, 2021 9:37 PM

Mar 2018
Sgt. Frog was so big when I first got into anime, what happened? Man, that's one show I still suggest to people. It's such a fun time.
Jun 10, 2021 9:40 PM

Feb 2019
Stripes said:
So I was showing my friend what used to be old AMV and meme from the ancient times (2005-2009) and realized a lot of anime shown used to be at least popular imagery on boards but if anybody even heard or cares about Angel Dokuro-Chan or School Rumble but I couldn't go anywhere back then without seeing either the OP animations or references.

I'd like to see what people remember of joining or at least what's dropped off popularity wise.

PUPIRU PIRU PIRU PUPIRU PIIIII
deadass thought I was the only person on earth that has seen dokuro chan
Jun 11, 2021 8:41 AM

Feb 2016
Zalis said:
Though as a testament to their enduring appeal, all of the above titles except DN Angel are still in-print / legally streaming in the US.

The funny thing is, I discovered most of those while they were out of print. Thanks to my time browsing old blogs, I learned of that era before watching the newer titles my friends recommended.
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 2 hours ago

19 by Zimzky »»
13 seconds ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - Yesterday

12 by Rhaelynne »»
15 seconds ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

83 by MapleToffee »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 9 minutes ago

0 by Peach_Main »»
9 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9049 by thatoneguy2440 »»
16 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.