Forum Settings
Forums

Favorites Boosting Accounts: Ranking Recalculations

New
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »
May 27, 2021 9:46 PM

Nov 2019
Geld from Slime isekai at a point of time had 10k favourites lmao. He now sits at 200ish
May 28, 2021 5:18 PM
Oct 2020
StrawHatDude said:
HeshamJohnny said:
One Piece / KNY / Death Note FANBOYS DON'T KILL YOURSELVES Plz
lol. I feel bad for the fanboys who put soooooo much effort to makes their fav shows and characters rise in rankings. But it was all for nothing. Go and cry in a corner.
shush hypocrite, 27, 30 and 35% ain't anything to scoff at.
May 29, 2021 1:18 AM

Jul 2020
SpremeHippo said:
StrawHatDude said:
lol. I feel bad for the fanboys who put soooooo much effort to makes their fav shows and characters rise in rankings. But it was all for nothing. Go and cry in a corner.
shush hypocrite, 27, 30 and 35% ain't anything to scoff at.
hypocrite ? Me ? How? I like one piece but i'm glad it got rid of the fake favs.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 29, 2021 3:26 AM

Jan 2020
YossaRedMage said:
Still not going to stop the problem. MAL needs to put a paywall between people and the ability to influence aggregate score, favorite rankings, as well as limiting review rating to only paying members. I would be quite happy to become a contributor in that case, and I would be much more assured that these things are legitimate.

Whilst I'd hate to see the MAL site become restricted to paid-members I completely agree restricting reviewing and 'liking' reviews is the only effective means to combat the abuse. Of course the extra funds raised MAL can then plough back into more backend features to support as well.
May 29, 2021 11:01 AM

Jul 2017
Just an advice from me. Actually, the root of all these problems is bot accounts. As we know, the way those trolls working are by making a lot of account, rated some animes, add some favorite characters, then left the account for forever, and then their system made another troll account. That means, these bot accounts are having one main pattern: it never had been online again since its making. So, I would advise MAL Dev Teams to make a system that never consinder any data from an account that never been online more than once. You can adjust it into twice, just for prevention if the trolls are trying to reactivate their bot accounts once more.
May 30, 2021 2:56 AM

Dec 2020
K-Lye said:
YossaRedMage said:
Still not going to stop the problem. MAL needs to put a paywall between people and the ability to influence aggregate score, favorite rankings, as well as limiting review rating to only paying members. I would be quite happy to become a contributor in that case, and I would be much more assured that these things are legitimate.

Whilst I'd hate to see the MAL site become restricted to paid-members I completely agree restricting reviewing and 'liking' reviews is the only effective means to combat the abuse. Of course the extra funds raised MAL can then plough back into more backend features to support as well.
It doesn't even need to be a paid feature, just a verification through credit card details, but that's probably a violation of data protection. They just need to make the process long/difficult enough that it would deter people from making bot accounts, i.e captchas and phone/email verifications.
May 30, 2021 5:20 AM
Oct 2018
Thanks a lot for doing this MAL! It will definitely make the scores a lot more trustworthy.
May 31, 2021 3:30 AM

Jan 2020
conrrr said:
K-Lye said:

It doesn't even need to be a paid feature, just a verification through credit card details, but that's probably a violation of data protection. They just need to make the process long/difficult enough that it would deter people from making bot accounts, i.e captchas and phone/email verifications.

A lot of fans won't have credit cards for various reasons (ie. under age) and email verification is easy enough to be automated. Captcha would definitely be a step in the right direction though I think the best method would be to restrict reviewing and upvoting be paywalled.

There's already a paid "supporters" membership for fans who want to support MAL which gets you some fairly basic benefits; so the framework is already there to implement. If $30 a year is too much an ask then they could introduce tier membership where for a small $5 a year gives members the right to upvote with the 'premium' membership giving members more benefits - like maybe creating reviews at this tier.
May 31, 2021 2:06 PM
Nov 2015
Do people really care about this shit it’s a ranking on a anime site why do people care so much I don’t get it.
May 31, 2021 6:07 PM
Feb 2021
seaver3434 said:
Do people really care about this shit it’s a ranking on a anime site why do people care so much I don’t get it.
It's about the value of objective truth. People skew their favorite characters' rankings to appear more favorable so that more people will jump on the bandwagon so they'll get even more popular. Bot creators' primary goal is to either troll for giggles or chase an illusion of validity by making the things they like seem better than others'. It really is selfish, and allowing them to perpetuate only encourages the behavior.
"Tomatoes are nutritious and scrumptious."--Ryuunoske Akasaka, "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou"

Sword Art Online is mid, not utter trash. Oh yes, I'm such a rebel. 😎
Jun 1, 2021 1:26 PM
Jul 2018
did not think ichigo would get so much faves.
Jun 1, 2021 9:20 PM
May 2015
I am absolutely in tears that the zero two and Rem haters were bots all along. was too obvious
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 1, 2021 9:40 PM

Jun 2019
and just like that, top charts got thanos snapped
Jun 4, 2021 11:05 AM

May 2020
Looks like the character favorites got reduced once again,though only by small amount.
Jun 5, 2021 1:05 PM

Nov 2015
Thanks MAL devs for constantly trying to improve this platform!
Jun 7, 2021 5:43 AM
Jul 2018
Nice, meanwhile I will keep boosting reviews.
Jun 11, 2021 6:51 PM

Jan 2017
Kineta said:
In the Top 50 Character Favorites alone, 1,068,471 votes were given by duplicate accounts for boosting purposes.

And how did you find duplicate accounts? What's the criteria in order to consider an account a "duplicate" or a "bot"?

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan

Jun 11, 2021 7:26 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
swirlydragon said:
Kineta said:
In the Top 50 Character Favorites alone, 1,068,471 votes were given by duplicate accounts for boosting purposes.

And how did you find duplicate accounts? What's the criteria in order to consider an account a "duplicate" or a "bot"?

Why would I publicly say that so that boosters could try to hide their tracks better?
Jun 11, 2021 7:36 PM

Jan 2017
Kineta said:
Why would I publicly say that so that boosters could try to hide their tracks better?

I see. But one could even say that by not revealing the criteria, we can't even judge or criticize it. Maybe even I am considered a bot?
Although I am sure the mods/admins are not biased but every criteria can make a minor mistake when distinguishing real users from bots. Thanks for your reply though.

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan

Jun 11, 2021 8:37 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
swirlydragon said:
I see. But one could even say that by not revealing the criteria, we can't even judge or criticize it. Maybe even I am considered a bot?
Although I am sure the mods/admins are not biased but every criteria can make a minor mistake when distinguishing real users from bots. Thanks for your reply though.
I appreciate your skepticism. Please let me assure you that when you see all of the information in a table, it becomes extremely clear what is bot and what is not. If anything, we err on the side of not-bot vs is-bot.
Jun 14, 2021 4:49 AM
Oct 2007
Is Attack on Titan getting boosted, seems S3 Pt 2 has a fair amount of activity of 10/10 accounts created today
Jul 5, 2021 3:53 AM
Jul 2018
Nami below Usopp and Chopper. I want to cry :(
Jul 21, 2021 4:14 PM
Apr 2021
For a long time, the number of collections of some characters has not increased, but decreased. However, the ranking of some characters is still crazy.😅
Aug 26, 2021 8:29 PM

May 2021
@Kineta
Can you check Itsuki from Go Toubun, in these 5 days the number of Favs has increased strangely, initially she has 7,987 Favs but in 5 days she has reached 8,779 favs, she gets at least 100 favs per day eventhough the anime is over while other girl has increased favs it still makes sense about 7-10 favs per day.
Sep 4, 2021 12:26 AM
Sep 6, 2021 3:37 AM

May 2021
@Kineta
Can you check Itsuki from Go Toubun, in these 5 days the number of Favs has increased strangely, she gets at least 100 favs per day eventhough the anime is over while other girl has increased favs it still makes sense about 7-10 favs per day.

https://myanimelist.net/character/161471/Itsuki_Nakano
Sep 6, 2021 1:33 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Thanks, I'll run through the numbers once I have some time. This week is a bit psychotically busy orz.
Sep 7, 2021 10:18 AM

Oct 2020
I'm a little suspicious that Itsuki is being botted again because her favs have increased rapidly these past few weeks and are almost close to Nino and Miku, I remember her favs are still around 7.5k favs but now she has reached 9.3k favs.

Oct 12, 2021 11:57 PM
Jul 2018
Kineta said:
Thanks, I'll run through the numbers once I have some time. This week is a bit psychotically busy orz.

https://myanimelist.net/character/185970/Kurena_Kukumila

https://myanimelist.net/character/150824/Vladilena_Miliz%C3%A9
Drawing your attention to these two character profiles.Specially Kurena has been botted to the point she’s about to surpass main characters in favourites.She shouldn’t have more than 150-200.I am sure Lena has been heavily botted as well recently.
removed-userOct 13, 2021 12:02 AM
Oct 13, 2021 1:33 AM
Jul 2018
@Kineta
https://myanimelist.net/character/150824/Vladilena_Miliz%C3%A9
Drawing your attention to these two character profiles.Specially Kurena has been botted to the point she’s about to surpass main characters in favourites.She shouldn’t have more than 150-200.I am sure Lena has been heavily botted as well recently.
Nov 3, 2021 6:07 AM

Apr 2018
@Kineta
3 months since the last time the favorites were cleaned :(
Nov 5, 2021 7:43 PM

Aug 2017
345EdwardElric said:
Glad to see the botting all being taken care of. The absurd rise in favourites of the Kaguya-Sama and Re:Zero characters in such a short span of time always seemed pretty unnatural to me as much as I'm a huge fan of both series.

A little sad to my boy Ed still remaining at #8 after the correction though, I was expecting him to go back to #4/5 where he once used to be. :(

Emperor Lelouch's #1 spot was always very genuine though, I hope that has been proved more than well-enough now.
I mean Kaguya-Sama has become massively popular so a lot of people are watching it. Nowadays if I ask people for a romance anime it's usually Kaguya sama.

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Nov 8, 2021 8:03 PM

May 2021
@Kineta

can you check the favorite count of these characters?? I'm a bit suspicious because they can get quite a lot of favorites in a short time, even when they don't do something prominent in the anime that makes them popular, they were characters that have been botted before being removed by mods.

Nov 26, 2021 10:54 PM
Oct 2019
I’m seeing a lot of characters that were previously boted rising up again at pretty high rates. Mainly Mami from Rent a Girlfriend, Itsuki from Quints, Kurena from 86, Iino from Love is War, and Ichigo from Darling in the Franxx. There are others but those are some off the top of my head who are getting massive jumps seemingly out of the blue. I hope they go back through and clean out the boys again :/
Dec 2, 2021 3:45 PM

Aug 2014
KingKatsura said:
I am absolutely in tears that the zero two and Rem haters were bots all along. was too obvious

Source?
Dec 18, 2021 9:54 AM
Oct 2010
ChristianGivens said:
I’m seeing a lot of characters that were previously boted rising up again at pretty high rates.

Just give up, MAL doesn't care any longer. All hail bots and fake votes, the only things that matter.
Feb 9, 2022 7:03 PM
Jun 2017
it will never be solved, they can't admit they are wrong, they say they already have a program for that, but you don't see the ratings being fair, the series score 1 only increases, they don't ban and the ratings only go up when the fandom of a series decides to boost it
Mar 4, 2022 3:31 AM

Jun 2014
I think the favorites list is long due for another cleanup. It's been months since the last one and I really feel like the usual suspects are starting to have some really strange growth. One Piece for example has been gaining an insane number of favorites as of late, much more than the other anime in the Top 6. While I assume it's possible that this is legit (maybe the current arc is great and attracting new favorites), it definitely raises some eyebrows given than One Piece and its characters were some of the most fake boosted entries last time.

@Kineta, I assume that there is a good reason why your system for detecting and deleting boosting accounts isn't automatic, but why can't it at least be weekly or even just monthly? As things currently stand, the rankings have been inaccurate for months (basically since the last cleanup).
Mar 7, 2022 10:38 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
I've been wanting to go through it myself too for a while now, but I have my hands completely full. Considering the other high-priority projects I'm currently juggling, I think we might be able to do another clean-up of the favorites sometime in April or possibly May. Please be patient for a while longer.

Apr 10, 2022 10:59 PM
Oct 2019
Kineta said:
I've been wanting to go through it myself too for a while now, but I have my hands completely full. Considering the other high-priority projects I'm currently juggling, I think we might be able to do another clean-up of the favorites sometime in April or possibly May. Please be patient for a while longer.

Thanks for letting us know that it’s been noticed! We appreciate all your hard work.
Apr 14, 2022 1:52 PM

May 2009
Wow even new show Shikimori has botted literally who to top in favourites just because bot-tard was triggered by it.
Apr 14, 2022 2:05 PM

Jan 2009
this confirms what i suspected for a long time now too that the anti bot system is not an automated process so knowing that people will simply do more spam bots since the system is not even periodically doing cleaning of scoring bots anyway

MAL is adding a lot of features lately but they seem to just at least 50% effective and/or finished and not even at least 80%-90% effective or finished features

its not even be called beta features but just alpha version features
Apr 19, 2022 6:21 PM
Mar 2017
Kineta said:

last time u guys were too harsh on gintoki....he fell 71k to 59k...its been almost a year he is on 67k...his popularity is legit bro...dont be harsh with gintama their popularity decreasing and so many people downgraded gintama so plzz cleaning accurately!!!
May 12, 2022 11:27 AM

May 2009
Well done, now that girl from Shikimori which had 1k more favs then titular character, now has only 200.
Also Itsuki fell to third place, from ~20k to 11k
May 26, 2022 6:14 AM
May 2021
OMG these many bot favourite were luffy
Jul 5, 2022 5:18 AM

May 2009
Itsukitard bot guy is back at game. He boosted Itsuki Nakano to be just 1k less than most popular Miku (after last purge it was 19k vs 9k) and Mami from Kusokari to be almost as much as Chizuru.

Edit: Other anime that loon is messing numbers up: Shikimori, Summertime Render, Ayumu, Kakkou no iinazuke.

Edit2: Ok, mods fixed some of them

Edit3: He's doing it again, Itsuki has 5k more than after last purge.
bastek66Aug 17, 2022 9:26 PM
Jan 23, 2023 5:12 PM

May 2009
Kineta said:

@Kineta This loon did it again, he boosted Itsuki to be over 21k
She was 11k after last purge as mentioned earlier.
Jan 24, 2023 11:24 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
bastek66 said:
@Kineta This loon did it again, he boosted Itsuki to be over 21k
She was 11k after last purge as mentioned earlier.
Sigh. Thanks for letting me know.
Jan 25, 2023 6:48 AM
Jun 2021
@Kineta, A great initiative. I hope MAL can further expand on this. So, malicious user wouldn't try to manipulate scores.
Apr 20, 2023 2:22 PM
Apr 2021
I want to say that there has been another large-scale invasion of robot accounts.
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

207 by Shin_016 »»
Yesterday, 7:32 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Yesterday, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.