Forum Settings
Forums

What are some anime you consider to be hidden gems?

New
May 14, 2021 7:16 PM

Aug 2018
To give some examples of what I mean by hidden gems:

- anime that wasn't advertised well
- anime that performed poorly due to lack of accessibility
- anime that had controversial factors that drove many potential viewers away
- anime that was overlooked not due to poor quality, but because it aired at the same time as a much more popular anime

Also, I'd appreciate it if you'd include why you believe the anime was a hidden gem.

For my hidden gems, I've picked two comedy series, Cromartie High School and Level E.

Cromartie High School is about a "normal" guy that did one really bad thing once and ended up in a school full of delinquents, which include some rather unique individuals like: a 40 year old rocker dude that most definitely isn't Japanese, who is mute and is dubbed "Freddy" by the "normal" guy; a short, fat kid with an incredibly hard body named Mechazawa; and a gorilla, there's no joke here. It's an absolutely ridiculous show, but also. the kind of show I can watch again and again, and not get bored. I didn't see this when it initially came out, but the only reason I can think of why it isn't more popular is simply because its episodes are half-length (about 12 min), and that can drive some people away.

Level E is an equally ridiculous anime about a sadistic, genius alien, who likes to try to piss off every living being in the universe, and has recently decided to pull off his tomfoolery on earth. It too is full of unique characters like: a stand up guy just trying to live life and play baseball, two groups of aliens hell-bent on protecting earth because they both love baseball, a group of school children forced to become power ranger knock-offs, a group of incredibly gullible and equally broke guys, and many more! Unfortunately this didn't have as much rewatch value as Cromartie, because a lot of the big reveals that take place are what I found most enjoyable on my first watch, and after two watches I can already think of all the big reveals in the series off the top of my head even though its been at least a year since the last time I saw it. I think the biggest reason this anime has been overlooked is because most people don't realize that it was written by Yoshihiro Togashi, also known as the creator of both Yuu Yuu Hakushou and Hunter x Hunter, both incredibly more popular and much better known series than Level E.
Poyo.
May 14, 2021 7:17 PM

Oct 2020
Bloom into you is a hell of an underrated anime if someone likes the genres.

Fruits Basket tooo
# of bans: 4

@NoLiferSoul is an S+ tier MAL Staff member

@anime-prime and @AlexPaulLEWZ are S tier

Rest are mid
May 14, 2021 7:48 PM

Jul 2015
Might as well post it here again, it'll only be the third thread in an hour or two :p

https://myanimelist.net/anime/1962/Chikyuu_Bouei_Kazoku
Criminally underrated sentai-like show where a regular japanese family about to break apart is tasked to defend the Earth from an alien invasion. Awesome animation, wacky action, clever and bittersweet.

edit: the three shows posted above me, I heard about like in my first six months after getting back into anime ;'^)

Also Level E was pretty good, gf showed it to me and it was a good watch.
DeathkoMay 14, 2021 7:56 PM
May 14, 2021 7:54 PM
Aug 2020
ACCA: 13-ku kansatsu-ka had some amazing worldbuilding.

I'm right, you're wrong.
May 14, 2021 9:56 PM
Dec 2017
twlight of the darkmaster for being a horror sci fi mix.

May 14, 2021 9:59 PM

Jan 2020
I think maoujou de oyasumi is a pretty wholesome and cute one

May 14, 2021 10:00 PM
Jul 2018
Arslan Senki, I have not seen a single person hate on this anime its animation is good, amazing music, great characters, it's way more fast-paced than the manga.
It is one of those anime that has a certain charm to them also it is by the creator of LOGH so even though it's got multiple remakes and is a classic in Japan it's not very popular in the anime community.
May 14, 2021 10:04 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Princess Principal and Flip Flappers are criminally underrated.
May 14, 2021 10:07 PM

Apr 2021
https://myanimelist.net/anime/268/Golden_Boy
One of the best Comedies I've seen. With only 6 eps, the time investment isn't large but you will wish for more to be adapted.

+1 Bloom into You
Really great Romance if you don't mind Shoujo Ai.
"Life & anime are the same, they're both filled with bruh moments..."
May 14, 2021 10:12 PM

Mar 2020
Houseki no Kuni is a hidden gem for sure.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex series

Yuru Camp

May 14, 2021 10:13 PM

Aug 2018
Kamichu. At first glance it looks like a very typical CGDCT but I don't think that was what the show was aiming for at all.

It's also not one of those iyashikei shows either even though the rural setting gives that impression. It's a comedy first and foremost and a very good one at that.
May 14, 2021 10:15 PM

Dec 2020
Flip Flappers
Uma musume
Eureka Seven
Concrete Revolutio

Good animation doesn't save them, they needed to be generic to be more popular
Just weird and sad they end up like that
"no one really laughs on the internet, they just go 'hM' and type '𝕃𝕄𝔸𝕆𝔸𝕆𝕄𝔸𝕆𝔸'."

I'm Level 69 on Mal Badges. View My Badges.

May 14, 2021 10:23 PM

May 2020
I think Cross Game is a hidden gem.

If you like romance, drama, and sport this is a good anime to check out.
May 14, 2021 10:46 PM
May 2021
In my opinion i think beelzebub is an underrated and hidden jem,but sadly both the anime and manga got cancelled while the anime didn't even cover half of the manga(which is epic by the way) it had àn anime exclusive ending
And the manga was stopped(i think it was because of the controversy that people were making about the baby walking around who is a the son of the demon king etc),so the manga caught international problems and was discontinued
May 14, 2021 10:56 PM

Oct 2018
for comedy like k-on and suzumiya haruhi. i believe Comic Girls is one of hidden gem out there. this just came to mind i watch recently.

but for all time i go with Natsume yuujinchou and Ace of Diamond
May 14, 2021 11:06 PM

Jul 2020
I never see much discussion around Tsuki ga Kirei, even though it has 300k+ members, and a relatively high mean score. Tsuki ga Kirei sits as one of my favorite animes for right now.
May 15, 2021 4:28 AM

Mar 2017
They Are My Noble Masters is about a brother and sister who need a place to work and live, and end up as servants at a mansion where three sisters live. For the brother it includes romantic/sexual tension and other harem elements. The story has some good character and relationship development, and in my opinion is above average compared to other similar anime. It's a hidden gem because it's never been released on Blu-ray, was only ever released on DVD but is now out of print, and I don't think any of the major streaming services currently carry the show.
A møøse once bit my sister...
May 15, 2021 4:31 AM

Jul 2015
OP: "Hidden gems plz"
MAL: "Fruits Basket, Kino no tabi, Ghost in the Shell, Flip Flappers, Eureka Seven, K-on, Haruhi!"
Me: ...
May 15, 2021 4:41 AM

Apr 2018
Why are y'all calling animes that are in the top #200 hidden gems bruh?
Or even in the top 100 lol.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
May 15, 2021 4:59 AM

Mar 2017
Ghemotoc said:
MAL: "Fruits Basket, Kino no tabi, Ghost in the Shell, Flip Flappers, Eureka Seven, K-on, Haruhi!"

It's what happens on MAL. Someone asks for hidden gems or other underappreciated recommendations. MAL user replies with FMAB, AoT, Death Note.

I suppose it's not as bad as the ones who think it's funny to suggest Boku no Pico when someone asks for wholesome anime.
A møøse once bit my sister...
May 15, 2021 5:07 AM

Nov 2020
I have said it before but Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo is a hidden gem.
May 15, 2021 5:15 AM

Aug 2018
mwalimu said:
Ghemotoc said:

It's what happens on MAL. Someone asks for hidden gems or other underappreciated recommendations. MAL user replies with FMAB, AoT, Death Note.

I suppose it's not as bad as the ones who think it's funny to suggest Boku no Pico when someone asks for wholesome anime.

I dunno, I prefer the Boku no Pico trolls, I feel like 99% of the anime community just instantly knows that it is a joke, whereas when someone is recommending popular anime as hidden gems, makes you question whether the person is trolling or they're just so mainstream, that they believe anything with less than a million viewers must be a "hidden gem".

This is why I asked for people to say WHY they believed the anime to be a hidden gem, but clearly asking people to think critically, and do the bare minimum research (ya know, going to the anime's page and seeing how popular it is) was too much to ask for.
Poyo.
May 15, 2021 5:16 AM

Feb 2017
Yosuga no Sora, island and H2O footprints in the sand are amazing. We need more visual novel adaptions :(
May 15, 2021 5:20 AM
Aug 2020
ERROR-88 said:
I think Cross Game is a hidden gem.

If you like romance, drama, and sport this is a good anime to check out.

First time I've seen someone mentioning cross game . It's artstyle is different but
is a really great anime .
May 15, 2021 9:12 AM

Mar 2021
Inferno Cop is studio Triggers masterpiece, Its basically a modern surreal comedy JoJo/ Western comic esque.
k, imma gonna disappear
May 15, 2021 9:18 AM
Oct 2019
Touch had a huge success over in japan, being one of the biggest shounen romance manga out there, but I never really seen oversea anime fans even talked or heard of the show/manga before. So i consider Touch criminally underrated, its actually really amazing lol
May 15, 2021 9:31 AM

Jun 2020
OwOraccoon said:
Touch had a huge success over in japan, being one of the biggest shounen romance manga out there, but I never really seen oversea anime fans even talked or heard of the show/manga before. So i consider Touch criminally underrated, its actually really amazing lol

+1 Touch is flawed, but nonetheless one of the true greats. I liked how it could often show subtle emotions, something very rare in anime.

I vote Salaryman Kintaro. No-ones ever heard of it but I thought it was pretty great action show until they ran out of money for the ending. Pretty much just Testosterone: The Anime.
Old is Gold

"Look, look, we can do spinning shots without wasting our entire budget"
"Did you see? Look, it's all smooth and everything !"
"You're not looking, please, it's SO AWESOME LOOK AT HOW SPINNY IT IS!!!!"

- All anime animators since the invention of CGI.
May 15, 2021 9:53 AM

Mar 2020
Space Dandy and Kyousou Giga are phenomenal, people are sleeping on them big time
May 15, 2021 10:05 AM
Jul 2019
Land of the lustrous/Houseki no Kuni is a hidden gem, because the characters are literal gems. It aired the same year as MHA S2 and Made in Abyss. Moreover, it was animated with CGI and that's why it was overlooked by many. I believe it is a really solid series and in the manga it gets even better
May 15, 2021 10:06 AM

Apr 2021
Iv'e already said this in another thread ( https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1922767&show=0#post39 ) but i'll post it here cuz why not.

I'd say Beelzebub. I hardly see any people talk about it and it is fucking HILLARIOUS. I absolutely loved it and it's by far my favorite comedy anime

For movies i'd say Promare . It's one of the few animes that actually has good CGI. The soundtracks and animation are absolutely magnificent. The character designs and characters in general are amazing, Galo is super funny and my fav character in the movie. It also tackles racial issues around the world which i think is dope, especially as a poc myself. Trigger did an amazing fucking job with this movie and i highly recommend it if you like action packed movies.
beep!
MAL's Little Raccoon #2
made by hearingnote

matching w/ sekai-

May 15, 2021 10:13 AM

May 2018
Will repost my old hidden gems list for the ninth time:

I made this list some time ago.

Three categories:
- Known but for some reason behind the corner
- Known but misunderstood
- Hidden gems

Known but for some reason behind the corner:

1974 - Uchuu Senkan Yamato
1978 - Takarajima
1980 - Tom Sawyer no Bouken
1982 - Space Cobra
1983 - Soukou Kihei Votoms ; Golgo 13
1984 - Meitantei Holmes
1986 - Vampire Hunter D
1987 - Ouritsu Uchuugun: Honneamise no Tsubasa ; Robot Carnival ; Manie-Manie: Meikyuu Monogatari
1988 - Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor OVA
1989 - Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor Movie
1990 - Cat Ninden Teyandee (aka Samurai Pizza Cats)
1991 - Roujin Z ; Kikou Ryouhei Mellowlink
1992 - Giant Robo The Animation ; Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki
1993 - Musekinin Kanchou Tylor ; Juubee Ninpuuchou ; Patlabor 2 the Movie
1994 - Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki (1994)
1995 - Slayers
1996 - Memories ; Slayers Next ; Burn-up W ; Tetsuwan Birdy
1997 - Yuusha Ou GaoGaiGar ; Slayers Try ; Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo (1997) ; Burn-up Exces
1998 - Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou ; Golgo 13: Queen Bee ; Spriggan
1999 - The Big O ; Jin-Rou
2000 - Yuusha Ou GaoGaiGar Final ; Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust ; Blood: The Last Vampire
2001 - Nekojiru-soup ; Metropolis ; Mahou Yuugi 2D + Mahou Yuugi 3D
2002 - Tenchi Muyou! GXP ; Azumanga Daioh ; Princess Tutu
2003 - Macross Zero ; The Big O (2003) ; Kino no Tabi (2003) ; The Animatrix ; Fullmetal Panic? Fumoffu ; Tokyo Godfathers ; Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki (2003) ; Planetes
2004 - Appleseed (2004) ; Steamboy ; Fantastic Children ; Gankutsuou
2005 - Karas ; Sousei no Aquarion ; Hachimitsu to Clover ; Fullmetal Panic! The Second Raid ; Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
2006 - Hachimitsu to Clover II ; Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi
2007 - Nodame Cantabile ; Hidamari Sketch ; Lovely Complex ; Stranger: Mukou Hadan ; Appleseed Saga Ex Machina ; Soukou Kihei Votoms: Pailsen Files
2008 - Macross Frontier ; Hidamari Sketch x 365 ; Tetsuwan Birdy Decode ; Bounen no Xamdou ; Detroit Metal City ; Cobra The Animation: The Psychogun ; Nodame Cantabile: Paris Hen
2009 - Cobra The Animation: Time Drive
2010 - Cobra The Animation (2010) ; Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu ; Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimittsu ; Nodame Cantabile: Finale ; Katanagatari ; Working!! ; Soukou Kihei Votoms: Gen'ei Hen ; Shinryaku! Ika Musume
2011 - Gosick ; Tiger & Bunny ; Sket Dance ; Shinryaku!? Ika Musume ; Carnival Phantasm ; Hidamari Sketch x SP
2012 - Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 ; Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou ; Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi OVA ; Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita ; Kokoro Connect ; Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb ; Saint Onii-san (2012)
2013 - Saint Onii-san (2013) ; Uchouten Kazoku, Space Pirate Captain Harlock (2013) ; Hidamari Sketch: Sae Hiro Sotsugyou Hen
2014 - Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo Returns ; Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
2015 - Working!!! ; Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo Returns (2015)
2017 - ACCA 13-ku Kansatsu-ka ; Youjo Senki ; Uchouten Kazoku 2 ; Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou
2018 - Sora yori mo Tooi Basho ; Emiya-san Chi no Kyou no Gohan ; B: The Beginning ; Hataraku Saibou
2019 - Kemurikusa ; Youjo Senki Movie
2020 - Id:Invaded ; Zashiki-warashi no Tatami-chan ; Appare Ranman! ; Maoujou de Oyasumi ; Akudama Drive
2021 - Fate/Grand Carnival ; Tatoeba Last Dungeon Mae no Mura no Shounen ga Joban no Machi de Kurasu You na Monogatari

Known but misunderstood:

1988 - Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Waga Yuku wa Hoshi no Taikai - people often miss this pilot to LOTGH, it's a nice way to test the waters if you gonna like the frenchise or not.
1998 - Geobreeders: File-X Chibi Neko Dakkan - at first glance it's a standard MOE ecchi thing, but it has unexpected abouts of nicely done action and surreal humour.
2000 - Geobreeders 2: Mouryou Yuugekitai File-XX Ransen Toppa
2002 - Overman King Gainer - people are taking it too seriously, it's supposed to be crazy and desiderating.
2004 - Area 88 (2004) - everybody remembers remembers only the OVA, but I think the TV was nice.
2014 - Terra Formars OAD - the only good part of the Terra Formars franchise.
2014 - Gundam G no Reconguista - see Overman King Gainer.
2015 - Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou - it's a parody, a caricature and it has tonsl with political stuff, but people took it for battle shounen and were disappointed.
2016 - Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou - The Last Song
2019 - Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai - you watch this show for the gorgeous aerial dog fights, the rest is trash.
2020 - BNA - it's a fun little conspiracy show not a failed attempt at SJW title

Hidden gems:

1968 - Sabu to Ichi Torimono Hikae
1981 - Kazoku Robinson Hyouryuuki: Fushigi na Shima no Flon
1982 - Kagaku Kyuujo-tai TechnoVoyager
1983 - Ginga Hyouryuu Vifam
1984 - Giant Gorg ; SF Shin Seiki Lensman + Galactic Patrol Lensman
1986 - Uchuusen Sagittarius
1987 - Black Magic M-66 ; X Densha de Ikou
1988 - Dominion
1989 - Venus Senki
1990 - Teki wa Kaizoku: Neko-tachi no Kyouen ; Kumo no You ni Kaze no You ni
1991 - Trapp Ikka Monogatari
1993 - Ghost Sweeper Mikami ; Tokusou Senshatai Dominion ; Orguss 02 OVA (you can skip on the horrible TV series from the 80s)
1994 - Nanatsu no Umi no Tico ; Iria: Zeiram - The Animation ; Ghost Sweeper Mikami: Gokuraku Daisakusen!! ; Darkside Blues ; Aozora Shoujotai.
1995 - El-Hazard: The Magnificent World
1996 - Mahou Tsukai Tai!
1998 - 6 Gou and Kujira no Chouyaku
1999 - Hoohokekyo Tonari no Yamada-kun
2000 - Hidamari no Ki
2001 - Spirit of Wonder: Shounen Kagaku Club ; Zone of the Enders 2167 Idolo ; Zone of the Enders Dolores,I ; Animation Seisaku Shinkou Kuromi-chan
2002 - Trava: Fist Planet ; WXIII: Patlabor the Movie 3 ; Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai ; Sentou Yousei Yukikaze ; Gun Frontier ; Hanada Shounen-shi ; Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou: Quiet Country Cafe
2003 - Aru Tabibito no Nikki
2004 - Animation Seisaku Shinkou Kuromi-chan 2 ; Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu ; Kakurenbo ; Yakitate!! Japan ; Mankatsu
2006 - Giniro no Kami no Agito ; Yomigaeru Sora: Rescue Wings ; Project Blue Chikyuu SOS ; Black Blood Brothers ; Ghost Hunt ; Shin SOS Dai Tokyo Tankentai ; Freedom
2007 - Kafka Inaka Isha ; Highlander: The Search for Vengeance ; Genius Party ; Sketchbook: Full Color's
2008 - Fireball ; Toshokan Sensou ; Zettai Karen Children ; Batman: Gotham Knight ; Mouryou no Hako ; Genius Party Beyond ; Touhou Niji Sousaku Doujin Anime
2009 - Kurokami The Animation ; Senjou no Valkyria: Valkyria Chronicles ; Natsu no Arashi! ; Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike ; Cencoroll
2010 - Uchuu Show e Youkoso ; Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin ; Otome Youkai Zakuro ; Soredemo Machi wa Mawatte Iru
2011 - Rain Town ; Fireball Charming ; Senjou no Valkyria 3: Unrecorded Chronicles - Tagatame no Juusou ; Touhou Gensou Mangekyou
2012 - Buta ; Wasurenagumo ; Kuromajo-san ga Tooru!! ; Joshiraku ; Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
2013 - Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited - Hyoubu Kyousuke ; Senyuu. ; Joshiraku OVA ; Servant x Service
2014 - Tonari no Seki-kun ; Danna ga Nani o Itte Iruka Wakaranai Ken ; Magic Kaito 1412 ; Imawa no Kuni no Alice OVA
2015 - Yoru no Yatterman ; Danna ga Nani o Itte Iruka Wakaranai Ken 2 Sureme ; Punch Line
2016 - Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge ; Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou ; Nobunaga no Shinobi ; Bernard-jou Iwaku
2017 - Onihei ; Nobunaga no Shinobi: Ise Kanegasaki Hen ; Mahoujin Guru Guru (2017) ; Fireball Humorous
2018 - Hakumei to Mikochi ; Hisone to Masotan ; Tsukumogami Kashimasu
2019 - Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki ; Cencoroll 2 ; Obsolete
2020 - Fireball Gebaude Baude
2021 - Youjo Shachou
May 15, 2021 10:21 AM

May 2016
Thread lacks some actual hidden gems, so I'll post some:

- One Off, actually a big Honda ad in form on a iyashikei anime, if you like iyashikei this might be for you.
- Morita-san wa Mukuchi, very similar to Senryuu Shoujo, but even shorter and without the romance.
- Elf 17, criminally underrated on this site, it's a pretty decent dumb boomer OVA.
- Koitabi: True Tours Nanto, for any romance fans, three stories with different settings and age ranges.
- Makasete Iruka! (Grrl Power!), might be oriented to kids, but super fun regardless.

The next three are somewhat known, but according to MAL, people missed it:

- Kowarekake no Orgel, a shorter and better version of the well-known Plastic Memories
- Tamayura, literally my favourite SoL of all time, go watch it.
- Daicon Opening Animations, this is Gainax first anime and you definitely feel the passion in the work put in it, and the soundtrack by ELO is banging.

All in all, I could fill the post with a bunch more hidden anime, but they aren't as good in general/between its niche. Clearly, there is a reason why a lot of these anime just aren't popular
May 15, 2021 10:24 AM

Aug 2020
I feel like mushoku tensei might have been popular worldwide if it weren't for the controversy and "those" gross scenes, and also, if it had been advertised in the same way as a fighting shounen. It is popular in MAL, but I really would have liked it that it was as popular as AOT or JJK because it seems to be a great story (although, sadly, some actions of the character made the anime only popular because of the controversy, and that is not even talked about).
a wise user of MAL said:
Just to clarify, adaptations should absolutely stand on their own
May 15, 2021 10:24 AM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
Oban Star-Racers. Holy shit. So fucking slept on. Even the Japanese audio doesn't have subs.

If you grew up in the US and was able to see it air for a short amount of time in the mid-2000s, you might remember that was dumped on Jetix, a channel by Disney that isn't very well remembered, nor was the show very well advertised tbh. Such a good fucking anime.

SMH... your "hidden gems" are the anime with 340,000 members, TF? And I thought Oban Star-Racers having 20-30,000 was a lot for a "hidden gem"...

Speaking of "hidden gems" around the 20-30K range... how many of us are rockin' with Cyber City Oedo 808?
ChartTopper60May 15, 2021 10:29 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 2021 10:27 AM

Jan 2013
A I K A T S U ! is the Holy Grail of hidden gems
May 15, 2021 10:31 AM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
Chandela said:

I haven't seen most of Aikatsu yet (only like 1 or 2 episodes lol). How is it? There's a lot of episodes, so I was intimidated at first. I'm assuming it's episodic, and if so, is it more like a "Doraemon"-style episodic where you can hop on in any episode, or more of a "Kodocha", "Detective Conan" or "Love Live"-style episodic where it's majorly episodic, but there is still progression every few episodes and shorter story arcs? Not that you have to like Doraemon, Kodocha, Conan or Love Live, just curious about how the episode structure works. I'll watch it regardless.
ChartTopper60May 15, 2021 10:36 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 2021 10:40 AM
Sep 2015
Planetes, a realistic sci-fi with a creative setting, great characters, interesting political and philosophical statements and very pleasant to watch.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/329/Planetes?q=planetes&cat=anime

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, a dystopic sci-fi with a great setting, similar to the movie from 1995, interesting plot with philosophical questions and action with excellent animation for its time.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/467/Koukaku_Kidoutai__Stand_Alone_Complex?q=ghost%20in%20the%20&cat=anime
https://myanimelist.net/anime/801/Koukaku_Kidoutai__Stand_Alone_Complex_2nd_GIG
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1566/Koukaku_Kidoutai__Stand_Alone_Complex_-_Solid_State_Society

Plastic Neesan, short episodes with 2 minutes of pure fun.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/10711/Plastic_Neesan?q=plastic%20nee&cat=anime

Paradise Kiss, a shoujo for all to watch hidden behind its more popular sister Nana

https://myanimelist.net/anime/322/Paradise_Kiss

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, a classic Ghibli movie from 1984 hidden behind the classics that came afterwards, but it maybe the best of them.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/572/Kaze_no_Tani_no_Nausica%C3%A4
marciomaMay 15, 2021 11:04 AM
May 15, 2021 10:49 AM

Jan 2013
ChartTopper60 said:
Chandela said:

I haven't seen most of Aikatsu yet (only like 1 or 2 episodes lol). How is it? There's a lot of episodes, so I was intimidated at first. I'm assuming it's episodic, and if so, is it more like a "Doraemon"-style episodic where you can hop on in any episode, or more of a "Kodocha", "Detective Conan" or "Love Live"-style episodic where it's majorly episodic, but there is still progression every few episodes and shorter story arcs? Not that you have to like Doraemon, Kodocha, Conan or Love Live, just curious about how the episode structure works. I'll watch it regardless.
More like Conan (which I love) where it's episodic in nature but with overarching narratives that play off what was introduced previously. Watch it, the episode count is NOTHING because you're gonna love it in some way shape or form and be like "damn I'm glad there's so much of this".

Plus it's fucked up cute.
May 15, 2021 2:06 PM

Jul 2015
To counterbalance the amount of ultra-mainstream "hidden gems" reccs OP is getting, lemme drop Kachou Ouji.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/1025/Kachou_Ouji

The story of a random salaryman who used to play guitar undergoing midlife crisis when a hot alien coworker asks him to play guitar to power the ultimate weapon and win a galactic war.

YOU ARE MY SPACE INVADER
May 15, 2021 2:32 PM

Jul 2020
Hinomaruzumou mostly. I think people should give it a shot.
MFKZ and Bartender are ones that I don't see anyone talk about. Anytime I see a thread about lesser known anime, I bring these up.
May 15, 2021 5:32 PM

Nov 2016
Hidamari no Ki

Ghemotoc said:

I mean MAL is still not as bad as YouTube where you stumble upon gems like this

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 15, 2021 5:34 PM

Nov 2019
FMmatron said:
Hidamari no Ki

Ghemotoc said:

I once saw someone recommend attack on titan
May 15, 2021 5:42 PM

Apr 2020
Haven't watched too much anime, but I definitely don't see enough people talking about hHouseki no Kuni and also Vivy which is currently airing and is done by Wit, like bruh idk what they did with the advertising but I'd say they definitely didn't promote it well in the west. I only recently found out of its existence and I had been looking into spring season anime since winter season so yeah
May 15, 2021 5:55 PM

Sep 2016
Genshiken, an anime that shows the life of otakus being otakus in the right way, without the side as romantic as in wotakoi, a slice life that explores even the difficulties that an otaku may have in the future if you just watch anime without thinking about the own life.

May 15, 2021 6:02 PM

Jan 2013
There are a lot of hidden gems out there that I can recommend, but let me keep it brief I'll just recommend my favorite franchise!

Jewelpet: All of Jewelpet is amazing and super underwatched. Each season is stand alone and has something different to offer than the rest of them, and each of them I found to be a lot of fun. I'd say check out one of the 5 full subbed seasons that aren't Magical Change:

Jewelpet Twinkle
Jewelpet Sunshine
Jewelpet Kira Deco
Jewelpet Happiness
Lady Jewelpet
May 15, 2021 6:17 PM
Nov 2020
It’s still airing and could pick up steam in terms of popularity towards the end, but I think 86 is massively underrated. It is sooooo good!
May 16, 2021 8:02 AM

May 2017
Princess Nine - it has under 10k watchers despite being an above average sports anime from the 90s and a female lead one at that.

The Case of Hana & Alice - rotoscoped movie that might not be to everyone's liking, but everyone should watch cause it's so unique.

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou - very good story about a kid not wanting to do what his parents tell him, its just animated weirdly.

Nadia: Secret of Blue Water - it's a Hideaki Anno show that no one seems to care about cause it came out before Evangelion

Big franchise time. Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt - 4 eps. gorgeously animated show with jazz and an easy to follow plot. but it has under 50k watchers.
May 16, 2021 8:07 AM

Jul 2015
FMmatron said:
Hidamari no Ki

Ghemotoc said:

Hahahahaha. To be fair he's not 100% wrong. If there was a gem in Parasyte it was well hidden, because I didn't find it :p

More topics from this board

» How often you feel like watching anime?

Cammell - 37 minutes ago

8 by Scavendgarr »»
3 minutes ago

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time?

MeanMrMusician - 2 hours ago

11 by Cybre771 »»
5 minutes ago

» What anime would you like to see return? ( 1 2 )

Cybre771 - Yesterday

53 by Ende_uraa »»
5 minutes ago

» What is your favourite anime related meme

DinoNo1 - 5 hours ago

6 by Scavendgarr »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Re Zero s3 censorship confirmed on 2 characters ( 1 2 3 )

rohan121 - Mar 26

117 by Mezino »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.