Forum Settings
Forums

'Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu.' TV Anime Adaptation Announced for Fall 2021

New
May 11, 2021 6:25 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Publisher Shogakukan opened an official website for a television anime adaptation of Tomohito Oda's romantic comedy manga Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. (Komi Can't Communicate) on Tuesday. The website also revealed the lead cast, staff, teaser visual (pictured), and a teaser promotional video. The series will premiere on TV Tokyo in October 2021.

Aoi Koga (Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai) and Gakuto Kajiwara (Enen no Shouboutai) are starring as the lead characters Shouko Komi and Hitohito Tadano, respectively. Rie Murakawa (Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu) is voicing the character Najimi Osana.

Staff
Chief Director: Ayumu Watanabe (Uchuu Kyoudai, Koi wa Ameagari no You ni)
Director: Kazuki Kawagoe (Koisuru Asteroid episode director, Beyblade Burst God episode director)
Series Composition: Deko Akao (Hitomi Mieno) (Noragami, Arakawa Under the Bridge)
Studio: OLM (Utawarerumono, Odd Taxi)

Synopsis
It's Shouko Komi's first day at the prestigious Itan Private High School, and she has already risen to the status of the school's Madonna. With long black hair and a tall, graceful appearance, she captures the attention of anyone who comes across her. There's just one problem though—despite her popularity, Shouko is terrible at communicating with others.

Hitohito Tadano is your average high school boy. With his life motto of "read the situation and make sure to stay away from trouble," he quickly finds that sitting next to Shouko has made him the enemy of everyone in his class! One day, knocked out by accident, Hitohito later wakes up to the sound of Shouko's "meow." He lies that he heard nothing, causing Shouko to run away. But before she can escape, Hitohito surmises that Shouko is not able to talk to others easily—in fact, she has never been able to make a single friend. Hitohito resolves to help Shouko with her goal of making one hundred friends so that she can overcome her communication disorder. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Oda originally launched the manga as a one-shot in Weekly Shounen Sunday in September 2015, which began regular serialization in the magazine the following May. Shogakukan published the 20th volume on February 18, with the 21st volume scheduled for a May 18 release. Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. has a cumulative 5.2 million copies of its compiled volumes in circulation.

VIZ Media licensed the manga in English in November 2018 and shipped the 12th volume on April 13. The manga has also been published in multiple foreign languages.

Teaser PV

Official site: http://komisan-official.com/
Manga official page: https://websunday.net/rensai/komisan/
Manga official Twitter: @comisanvote

Source: animate Times

Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. on MAL
DatRandomDudeMay 11, 2021 12:13 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 11, 2021 6:30 AM

Apr 2016
Oh boy ...this gonna generate some hype.
May 11, 2021 6:37 AM

Sep 2019
Better late than never. Idk if the jokes will work as an anime but I’m still hyped.
May 11, 2021 6:52 AM

May 2014
I've been hearing lots of great things about this manga. Hope the anime will make it justice
May 11, 2021 6:58 AM

Jan 2015
Otakulover99 said:
I've been hearing lots of great things about this manga. Hope the anime will make it justice

As a manga fan, the PV indicates a very promising anime.
May 11, 2021 7:01 AM

Jan 2015
Heard so much about Komi, but also heard literally nothing happens after a while.
Well, I’m looking forward to this one
May 11, 2021 7:01 AM

Apr 2011
I remember years ago how many really hoping for an anime adaptation. Even read a few chapters of the manga to see what its all about. And now its finally announced.
May 11, 2021 7:04 AM

Oct 2020
nature is healing <3
May 11, 2021 7:04 AM
Apr 2021
Tadano's Voice Came Up Better Than What I Expected
May 11, 2021 7:05 AM
Jul 2017
Point at them! Point at all the neigh sayers who said this would never happen and laugh!
May 11, 2021 7:07 AM
Oct 2019
Feels like this Manga only got an Anime because people hyped the crap out of it, for reasons that i apparently don't understand. It's just Komi carrying the entire thing despite that even her character isn't good, let alone the others. Is it because people think she is "cute" or anything like that? I mean the story barely makes any progress, and even if you view it as a simple slice of life Manga it's not a good one at that.
May 11, 2021 7:08 AM
๐“ฃ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ž๐“ท๐“ฎ

Jul 2020
I've found out about the manga last year and was praying for it to get an Anime adaptation (and a great one at that). The PV looks very promising, I'm really excited for it! Can't wait!! I love Komi-san so much <3

anime list -~~- manga list
May 11, 2021 7:19 AM

Jul 2020
BuschJP said:
Feels like this Manga only got an Anime because people hyped the crap out of it, for reasons that i apparently don't understand. It's just Komi carrying the entire thing despite that even her character isn't good, let alone the others. Is it because people think she is "cute" or anything like that? I mean the story barely makes any progress, and even if you view it as a simple slice of life Manga it's not a good one at that.

That's your opinion and I respect it, but there must be a reason for this many people wanting a series to be adapted into an Anime.

Honestly, having read and watched quite a lot of Romance/SoL series, I personally love this manga. I found that most of the characters have unique traits and personalities, and I simply love reading stories like this (even if the development is slow, since there's so many characters to keep track of) just to see how their relationships evolve with time and different events and such. Plus, I think Komi-san is incredibly beautiful (character design wise) and her mannerisms are just too cute (especially when cat ears pop out of her head and she transforms into a chibi character, makes me laugh everytime!)

Maybe it's just not your type of manga/Anime :-)

May 11, 2021 7:22 AM

Jul 2020
MichaelGracio said:
So this is one of those anime where the female lead is cute and likable but everyone else is a fodder.

How much y'all wanna bet that the other girl on the cover (probably a childhood friend) is in love with the protagonist but in the end it is all in vain because Komi exist? We will have a confession by the end of this season, as well as the girl's realization of the protagonist's love for Komi.

I can assure you that it is not the case. I'm well over 280 chapters in the story and no such thing happened.
Zach-chanMay 11, 2021 7:29 AM

May 11, 2021 7:31 AM

Oct 2010
finally, now the fans can stop complaining about it. the pv looks better than the manga artwork. I'll be sure to watch it even though I found the manga boring
May 11, 2021 7:36 AM
็ฉ‚ไนƒๆžœใฏ็ฅž

Oct 2015
THE
FUCKING
TRANSFORMATION
IS
COMPLETE

THEY'RE. ALL. ADAPTED.

an Amano Megumi anime would be nice though...
hitomi-chan & tomo-chan as well...
ChartTopper60May 11, 2021 7:40 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 11, 2021 7:36 AM

Jul 2019
This is based.

I can't say I am hyping it like crazy, but I was waiting for an adaptation forever. It might do a Horimiya and skip hella content.
May 11, 2021 7:41 AM

Sep 2020
PHAT W

Characterlimitcharacterlimitcharacterlimit
watch this and your dick (or vagayna) will literally blow off with the sheer amount of force and momentum created by inertia and Einsteins second law :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXJuefY2tG1lB9q7QaFJQLQ
May 11, 2021 7:45 AM

May 2020
The PV is looking really nice. This made me want to pick up the manga again.

Definitely looking forward to seeing the anime.
May 11, 2021 7:52 AM
Jan 2021
LETS FUCKING GOOOOOO

megavirgin42069May 11, 2021 7:58 AM
May 11, 2021 8:09 AM

Jul 2015
Seriously. 2021 is the best year for anime since 2011.
This year is absolutely STACKED with all kinds of masterpieces.

May 11, 2021 8:17 AM

Sep 2020
Life is now Daijoubu (โ•ฅ๏นโ•ฅ)
May 11, 2021 8:27 AM

Oct 2017
Congratz to everyone who has been waiting for this for ages, finally damn it.
May 11, 2021 8:30 AM

Aug 2018
LET'S GO
2021 is the best year for Anime ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
"When There Is Evil In This World That Justice Cannot Defeat, Would You Taint Your Hands With Evil To Defeat Evil? Or Would You Remain Steadfast And Righteous Even If It Means Surrendering To Evil?"
May 11, 2021 8:31 AM
Jul 2018
PV looks really good although the KV looks like shit. I was planning to read the manga but I guess I'll watch the adaptation first. Anyway, hyped. Fall 2021 looking good.
May 11, 2021 8:32 AM

Jul 2016
Yes!! 2021 is a great year :D hype
May 11, 2021 8:34 AM

Aug 2020
Piromysl said:
Seriously. 2021 is the best year for anime since 2011.
This year is absolutely STACKED with all kinds of masterpieces.
Honestly mate , it's been an unbelievable year for anime . Long awaited sequels , long awaited adaptations we got everything we wanted . Truly is payback for the shitshow that was 2020
May 11, 2021 8:43 AM
Oct 2020
Damn I gotta check out the manga now. Looking forward to it :)
May 11, 2021 8:52 AM

Jul 2020
NextUniverse said:
This is based.

I can't say I am hyping it like crazy, but I was waiting for an adaptation forever. It might do a Horimiya and skip hella content.

I'm really worried how the adaptation will go.The studio is heavily inexperienced in making these type of anime.The only notable anime they made are Pokemon and Berserk(The good one).They should've given the anime to an experienced studio who has worked on romance before considering this is an extremely popular manga.If not done right,it would disappoint the masses.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
May 11, 2021 8:52 AM

Jul 2014
While this series has long since passed the point of being stale and derivative, the good thing is that an anime adaptation should only be adapting the early chapters of the series back when it was still fun and entertaining to read. I'll likely watch it on that basis, but with the hope that they just forget Yamai exists and don't get to the point where Manbagi shows up and the series descend into no-progress purgatory.

My only real immediate concern is that they'll do something similar to Senryuu Shoujo and have Komi voice the lines she writes in her notebook, as that would kind of defeat the value of the rare moments when she actually speaks in the early stages of the series. That aside, I'm hoping Rie Murakawa doesn't go for a voice as grating as the one she uses for Megu in GochiUsa, as that'll make it very hard to endure all of the screentime Najimi is going to get.
May 11, 2021 8:54 AM

Jul 2020
Atavistic said:
While this series has long since passed the point of being stale and derivative, the good thing is that an anime adaptation should only be adapting the early chapters of the series back when it was still fun and entertaining to read. I'll likely watch it on that basis, but with the hope that they just forget Yamai exists and don't get to the point where Manbagi shows up and the series descend into no-progress purgatory.

My only real immediate concern is that they'll do something similar to Senryuu Shoujo and have Komi voice the lines she writes in her notebook, as that would kind of defeat the value of the rare moments when she actually speaks in the early stages of the series. That aside, I'm hoping Rie Murakawa doesn't go for a voice as grating as the one she uses for Megu in GochiUsa, as that'll make it very hard to endure all of the screentime Najimi is going to get.

Damn,now you're making me worry even more than usual :(

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
May 11, 2021 9:12 AM
May 2020
Welp, this is just like a cherry on top of cake for 2021. 2021 best year for anime?
May 11, 2021 9:16 AM

Aug 2020
Scordolo said:
NextUniverse said:
This is based.

I'm really worried how the adaptation will go.The studio is heavily inexperienced in making these type of anime.The only notable anime they made are Pokemon and Berserk(The good one).They should've given the anime to an experienced studio who has worked on romance before considering this is an extremely popular manga.If not done right,it would disappoint the masses.
the studio isn't what matters the most in these type of situations (or any type of situation tbh) it's the one that leads the project as in the directors and co .(sound , art , animation and all .) . The studio and it's animators is only gonna follow the directors wishes and how he wants to portray the show (with A bit of room for individual expression of course)
And in this case the leaders are experienced in handling such type of shows . We literally have the director of kaijuu no kodomo .....

Tho the matter is going to be the content and how they are adapting it . I too think that series will skip a lot of the chapters and all , like horimiya . It's on the production committee and deko akao now .unlike with horimiya , this series doesn't have much dramatic moments , like love triangle or love rejection/confession and all that .

We got our wish on the visual aspect , now we pray for what those visuals is gonna hold....
TweedleDaneMay 11, 2021 10:48 AM
May 11, 2021 9:59 AM

Jul 2017
WOW!!! So many great mangas adaptation announced and we wondered when Komi will got one, and here we are finally! This is the best outta the bunch for sure.
May 11, 2021 10:03 AM

Jul 2017
Aoi Koga SHAT for Komi lols, probllo the easiest job of staying silent for a Seiyuu.

And yes, we've finally completed some sort of Trinity with manga series wanting to be adapted into anime.
May 11, 2021 10:14 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
I'm sure there's no one that's surprised by this lol
May 11, 2021 10:16 AM
Jul 2018
This year has been amazing, Chainsaw Man has been confirmed and now Komi can't communicate has also been confirmed. now I just hope Blue Lock, HakoMari, and Solo Leveling get an anime announcement this year.
May 11, 2021 10:18 AM

Mar 2020
not sure about the new art style...
May 11, 2021 10:22 AM

Jun 2019
How long have I waited for this. Finally....
May 11, 2021 10:29 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
The PV looks incredibly good! The director's kinda an amateur, so hopefully Watanabe's a big part of the production. Also, I doubt people would have issues with Kajiwara voicing Tadano after hearing the PV. He's a really good VA and people shouldn't dismiss him just because he voiced Asta. Good VAs don't sound the same in every role they do.

I don't mind if the anime skips some chapters here and there (like Kaguya-sama). I just hope that the anime doesn't rush to Manbagi's debut. Hoping for a 2-cour season, but with visuals like that, it might just be one-cour instead.
May 11, 2021 10:45 AM

Oct 2018
hly sht. The contender for the best romantic comedy is here!!!!
May 11, 2021 10:52 AM
Jan 2021
OMG Finally komi san is adapted T_T
May 11, 2021 11:19 AM

Mar 2015
TweedleDane said:

Tho the matter is going to be the content and how they are adapting it . I too think that series will skip a lot of the chapters and all , like horimiya . It's on the production committee and deko akao now .unlike with horimiya , this series doesn't have much dramatic moments , like love triangle or love rejection/confession and all that .

Also there is a quite a few chapters with just 5-7 pages, or silent chapters from Komi's PoV, so in one episode they could adapt 4-5 chapters at ease, while tuck some short chapters in scenes after ending, like in Jujutsu Kaisen.
May 11, 2021 11:53 AM

Mar 2017
PV looks great. Nice voice acting cast, to top it off. Very excited!

Still can't believe Komi-san anime is happening.
May 11, 2021 12:04 PM

Sep 2009
I see people classing this as a rom com but it really isn't. Sure there is some romantic elements in it but is few and far apart. If anything you can call this a slice of life anime.

Yes. I have caught up with the recent chapters
May 11, 2021 12:04 PM

Sep 2016
Well since when the domain for the anime was registered, it was about time it finally announced it to the public :P
bruh
May 11, 2021 12:27 PM

Jan 2020
Ever since I came back into the community, everyone did nothing but praise the manga and the female lead. Definitely watching this one.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
May 11, 2021 12:50 PM

Jul 2015
IT TOOK THEM SO LONG ... FINALLY KOMI ANIMATED !!
May 11, 2021 1:39 PM

Feb 2017
It looks so adorable! This is a manga I've been wanting to read for a long time but I think I am gonna wait for an anime now that it is announced.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» English Dub Cast for 'New Game!' Announced

Sakana-san - Jul 14, 2017

27 by Yui_Suzumiya69 »»
1 hour ago

» Manga 'Youkai Gakkou no Sensei Hajimemashita!' Gets TV Anime in 2024

DatRandomDude - Dec 15, 2023

16 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago

» '30-sai made Doutei dato Mahoutsukai ni Nareru Rashii' Gets Compilation Movie in 2024

DatRandomDude - Mar 27

7 by Memore »»
8 hours ago

» 'Kusuriya no Hitorigoto' Second Season Announced

Nioxys - Mar 23

19 by Ant161718 »»
9 hours ago

» 'Yuru Campโ–ณ' Season 3 Announces Additional Cast

Nioxys - Yesterday

8 by MalchikRepaid »»
11 hours ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.