Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 5, 2021 4:30 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
The official Twitter of Mag Garden's MAGCOMI website revealed on Tuesday that Kozue Amano's Amanchu! manga will conclude in the next chapter on May 10.

Amano began publishing the slice of life scuba diving manga in Monthly Comic Blade in November 2008 and subsequently switched to MAGCOMI, the magazine's web version. Mag Garden published the 16th volume on February 27 (pictured), with the 17th and final volume slated to release on November 10.

J.C.Staff adapted the manga into two television anime seasons in Summer 2016 and Spring 2018. The seventh home video release included an original video anime in March 2017. Crunchyroll streamed both seasons with subtitles in North America.

Synopsis
Originally from a big city, Futaba Ooki spends most days cataloguing her life through pictures on her phone. Upon moving to a seaside town, she gazes out over the vast expanse of sea and quickly becomes captivated by its endless possibilities. Unbeknownst to Futaba, her quiet contemplation catches the attention of local diving enthusiast Hikari Kohinata. Finding herself in the same class as Futaba the next day, Hikari is drawn to her quiet and shy demeanor and affectionately nicknames her Teko, sparking a tender friendship.

Struggling to adapt to the change of pace in her life, Futaba finds herself strung along by Hikari's vast energy and passion for diving. Together, they join the school diving club, led by their homeroom teacher Mato Katori. With Hikari by her side, Futaba works to earn her diving certification while experiencing new friendships and possibilities. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Source: MAGCOMI Official Twitter
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

May 5, 2021 4:57 PM
#borntoboil

Jan 2021
welp, new manga to read
is it really worf to put things in here like nobody reads these

discord ~ ganjimex

May 5, 2021 7:50 PM

Apr 2016
Did the manga fell from grace once the mangaka showed the middle finger to the toxic shippers ? Or did it kept the popularity ? Someone enlighten me.
May 6, 2021 12:23 AM

Apr 2012
Dragevard said:
Swagernator said:
Did the manga fell from grace once the mangaka showed the middle finger to the toxic shippers ? Or did it kept the popularity ? Someone enlighten me.

Wait... What's the ship?

This manga had a reputation for being subtle yuri and all for a very long time, but when people remembered that the mangaka didn't like shipping, it was too late.

Swagernator said:

This has always been popular in Japan, but the English fan translation was dropped very quickly after the yuri ships sank. Especially after MC said that "her love is different from the love" that the male character has for her friend.
May 6, 2021 12:51 AM
Jan 2016
Damn i hope someone picks up the scanslation forthis i really enjoy it
I'd rather die a free man then live under the rules of idiots
May 6, 2021 1:22 AM

Oct 2010
the shipping never made any sense, fans were shipping Teko x Pikari, Ai x Makoto, Pikari x 9 year old kid (on par with PSME), Ai x teacher. The manga was just slice of life about diving.
Anyways, hope someone will pick up the manga, I heard that the untranslated chapters are great
May 6, 2021 5:08 AM

Oct 2017
Hopefully it'll get fully translated soon.
May 6, 2021 6:34 AM

Nov 2016
Need english scanlations or a third season.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 7, 2021 3:23 AM

Apr 2012
Catalano said:
the shipping never made any sense, fans were shipping Teko x Pikari, Ai x Makoto, Pikari x 9 year old kid (on par with PSME), Ai x teacher. The manga was just slice of life about diving.
Anyways, hope someone will pick up the manga, I heard that the untranslated chapters are great

Whether it makes sense or not, somehow it killed the western fandom of this work. Another title where fans weren't really interested in anything other than gay speculation.
May 7, 2021 7:43 PM

Apr 2012
Dragevard said:
RobertBobert said:

This manga had a reputation for being subtle yuri and all for a very long time, but when people remembered that the mangaka didn't like shipping, it was too late.

This has always been popular in Japan, but the English fan translation was dropped very quickly after the yuri ships sank. Especially after MC said that "her love is different from the love" that the male character has for her friend.

What the mangaka should had done is not mention any love at all to keep both side of the fandom like the yuri bait that it is without denying nor going through with the ship. Coming out and deny the ship does nothing but harm...

She didn’t mention it. Personally, I think this phrase was a deliberate "take that" as it is rumored that she was extremely salty due to Aria's yuri reputation. However, not so much as the author of the Titans, who literally killed popular characters to destroy popular ships.
May 7, 2021 8:11 PM

Apr 2012
Dragevard said:
RobertBobert said:

She didn’t mention it. Personally, I think this phrase was a deliberate "take that" as it is rumored that she was extremely salty due to Aria's yuri reputation. However, not so much as the author of the Titans, who literally killed popular characters to destroy popular ships.

By Titans; you mean AOT?

Yeah. I heard that the author is not very fond of giving a lot of focus to romance, so he was annoyed when the producer declared some ships canon.
May 7, 2021 8:39 PM

Apr 2012
Dragevard said:
RobertBobert said:

Yeah. I heard that the author is not very fond of giving a lot of focus to romance, so he was annoyed when the producer declared some ships canon.

That explains the ending being an absolute shitshow that it is.

Don't get me wrong, this is just speculation. But I think they are hardly groundless, when spin-off shows that the author is fully aware of the ships, even the rarest ones, but at the same time almost every second ship ends with the death of one character. For example, the ship I mentioned sank right after the producer called it canon, and later even got a completely opposite ending at the end.

Although considering how this ship was featured in the actual manga and anime, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just revenge for outsiders intruding into the plot.
May 8, 2021 1:02 AM

Apr 2016
Dragevard said:
What the mangaka should had done is not mention any love at all to keep both side of the fandom like the yuri bait that it is without denying nor going through with the ship. Coming out and deny the ship does nothing but harm...

YES, tell the artists how they should do their work!
May 8, 2021 2:47 AM

Jun 2010
Swagernator said:
YES, tell the artists how they should do their work!

What's wrong with it? An author isn't above criticism and especially in such a case where they went out of their way to antagonize a part of their fanbase - you can ask: "Was that really necessary?", "Did it add anything to the work?" or "Could they have done something differently?"

And everyone is free to express their opinion on a work of art. If he would have enjoyed the story more if they left out the deliberate attack on the shippers and left it more ambigious he has every right to say so.
May 8, 2021 3:34 AM

Apr 2016
Asturaetus said:
What's wrong with it?

The very fact that you asking that is enough for me.

Imagine actually taking the side of toxic loud minority that don't even pay for the manga and yet they demand something from it, wow dude.
May 8, 2021 3:41 AM

Jun 2010
Swagernator said:
Imagine actually taking the side of toxic loud minority that don't even pay for the manga and yet they demand something from it, wow dude.

Chill, you seem to see enemies where there are none. He was neither toxic nor loud about it. Rather, you were the more abrasive one in this thread.

Are we still allowed to give criticism to a work, if there are elements in it we didn't like?
May 8, 2021 3:46 AM

Apr 2016
Asturaetus said:
Chill, you seem to see enemies where there are none. He was neither toxic nor loud about it. Rather, you were the more abrasive one in this thread.

Are we still allowed to give criticism to a work, if there are elements in it we didn't like?

You better chek a few quotes above you seem confused a bit. I've been talking about the people who dropped the manga scanlations.
May 8, 2021 4:28 AM

Jun 2010
Swagernator said:

You better chek a few quotes above you seem confused a bit. I've been talking about the people who dropped the manga scanlations.

In your two posts you never once referenced "people who dropped the manga scanlation". We can't guess what you're mumbling before your screen if you don't type it out.

So we only have the "YES, tell the artists how they should do their work!" to go by - directed at the user you quoted - and I saw nothing in his post (or previous posts) that warrants it. Just voicing an opinion that this element didn't work for him and how a different approach might have been more enjoyable for him.

Edit - and to come back to Amanchu (trying to stay OT ^^):
I have to say I agree - the strong point of the series was the relationship between Pikari and Pekko - I think even those that don't see any romantic potential/chemistry between the two can agree on that. The reveal in regard to Kokoro and the following "romance" subplot came completely out of the left field and wasn't executed very well/didn't integrate very well in the rest of the narrative. Therefore it came across as a deliberate attempt to ruffle some feathers. And like he said it was completely unnecessary.
AsturaetusMay 8, 2021 4:56 AM

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
8 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Today

4 by Memore »»
10 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 11 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
11 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Today

1 by RobertBobert »»
Today, 11:45 AM

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
Today, 11:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.