Forum Settings
Forums

Light Novel 'Saihate no Paladin' Gets TV Anime for Fall 2021

New
Apr 17, 2021 4:13 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
A television anime adaptation of Kanata Yanagino's Saihate no Paladin (The Faraway Paladin) light novel was announced at the Overlap Bunko 8th Anniversary event on Saturday. The publisher also opened an official website, revealing the main staff, cast, a key visual (pictured), and promotional video. The anime series will broadcast in October 2021.

Synopsis
In a city of the dead, long since ruined and far from human civilization, lives a single human child. His name is Will, and he's being raised by three undead: the hearty skeletal warrior, Blood; the graceful mummified priestess, Mary; and the crotchety spectral sorcerer, Gus. The three pour love into the boy, and teach him all they know.

But one day, Will starts to wonder: "Who am I?" Will must unravel the mysteries of this faraway dead man's land, and unearth the secret pasts of the undead. He must learn the love and mercy of the good gods, and the bigotry and madness of the bad. And when he knows it all, the boy will take his first step on the path to becoming a Paladin. (Source: J-Novel Club)

Staff
Director: Yuu Nobuta (High School Fleet, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear)
Series Composition: Tatsuya Takahashi (Kenja no Mago, Tonari no Kyuuketsuki-san)
Character Design: Kouji Haneda (Scared Rider Xechs, Orenchi no Furo Jijou)
Studio: Children's Playground Entertainment (Hatena☆Illusion, Tsukiuta. The Animation 2)

Cast
William G. Maryblood: Maki Kawase (Hyakuren no Haou to Seiyaku no Valkyria)
Blood: Katsuyuki Konishi (JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 5: Ougon no Kaze)
Mary: Yui Horie (Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!)
Augustus: Nobuo Tobita (Tokyo Ravens)
Meneldor: Ayumu Murase (Shoukoku no Altair)

Yanagino originally launched the adventure fantasy novel on the Shousetsuka ni Narou website in May 2015. Overlap began printing the series with illustrations by Kususaga Rin the following March and published the fourth volume in September 2017.

Mutsumi Okuhashi (Hai to Gensou no Grimgar) began serializing a manga adaptation on the Comic Gardo web manga portal in September 2017. Overlap published the sixth volume last November, with the seventh volume scheduled for an April 25 release.

J-Novel Club licensed both the light novel and manga adaptation in English and released the fourth novel volume in April 2018. The fourth manga volume went on sale on January 26, with the fifth volume planned for release on April 27.

PV

Official site: https://farawaypaladin.com/
Official Twitter: @faraway_paladin
Novel special site: https://over-lap.co.jp/narou/865541045/

Source: Anime! Anime!

Saihate no Paladin on MAL
VindstotApr 17, 2021 1:27 PM

Apr 17, 2021 4:19 AM
May 2020
This on paper sounds interesting for me, I'll watch it.
Apr 17, 2021 4:20 AM

Sep 2020
Now this is a shocker. Nice.
Apr 17, 2021 4:23 AM
May 2018
his name is Will Smith, lol
Apr 17, 2021 4:27 AM

Sep 2020
never heard of the studio. i wished something like A-2 or similar to adapt it, maybe they dont want to since there's no indication author will continue the novel

really love the story, but sadly i dont like this anime version of will, a bit feminine or like a tomboyish girl plus voiced by girl didnt help too
i mean, altho he's not bulky, he should be physically fit since he train since little kid

but ofc i will watch it since the first part is excellent
Apr 17, 2021 4:32 AM

Feb 2019
Looks interesting,,
Apr 17, 2021 4:38 AM

Jul 2019
Can someone who reads source material tell me if it is harem,thanks in advance
Apr 17, 2021 4:42 AM

May 2017
Heretixin said:

Has been some time since I read the LN, but it aint a harem. I dont think that a love interest has been introduced either.

Apr 17, 2021 4:49 AM

Jul 2019
Tim0204 said:
Heretixin said:

Has been some time since I read the LN, but it aint a harem. I dont think that a love interest has been introduced either.

Wau then this actually sounds interesting I thought that after he will set off for his journey with his OP powers he would be picking girls like pokemons
Apr 17, 2021 5:42 AM

Oct 2017
The LN came up on my manga recommendation a lot, so I was quite interested in this one. Good thing it got an anime, now I won't need to read it to find out how good this is.
Apr 17, 2021 6:01 AM

Sep 2020
Ooo nice it's getting an anime adaption I have read the first 10 chapter of the manga it's really good but the studio though 😰
Apr 17, 2021 6:32 AM
Feb 2014
The synopsis has totally caught my attention, plus Konishi Katsuyuki is voicing one of the characters?!?! Ok, i'm interested!!! Art styles looks great too!

Looked around a bit just to make sure and i didn't find anything about it, so i'm asking those who read the novel/manga, does this have gore(AKA not just blood)?

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Apr 17, 2021 8:08 AM

Nov 2014
Synopsis sounds really interesting, at the very least.
Apr 17, 2021 8:16 AM

Jun 2010
On the one hand I am ecstatic because it's one of my favorite LN titles. This is a really good fantasy title which doesn't fall into the usual trend of JRPG inspired fantasy worlds and rather goes more along the lines of DnD and other western fantasy. Especially how it integrates gods, patrons and spirituality into its world.

On the other hand the novels are on hiatus for such a long time now. And I rather would want them to continue the books. Hopefully this will give them the necessary impetus.
AsturaetusApr 17, 2021 8:21 AM
Apr 17, 2021 9:15 AM

Jul 2015
Pretty good story. Some moments are VERY depressing though
Apr 17, 2021 10:30 AM
Aug 2011
Great news!!
One of the best isekai in these years , Especially the drama side ...
Apr 17, 2021 10:42 AM

Aug 2008
I'm reading the manga and city of the dead part of the story was amazing. Sadly afterwards it got pretty dull and art took a nosedive. Would love to see first part animated well but with that staff and studio, my expectations are low enough to be wheelchair accessible without a ramp... Such a shame. Both about anime and the manga not keeping quality it had at start.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Apr 17, 2021 12:17 PM
May 2016
Well, that's interesting. this series managed to catch my eye, I'll have to give it a look
Apr 17, 2021 1:24 PM

Jul 2019
Synopsis and PV surprised me a lot, for sure i will watch this.
Apaixonado por jogos e animes.
Apr 17, 2021 2:52 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Looks like something that deserved more than the staff it got.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 17, 2021 3:07 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
The LN illustrations are pretty insane! It would've been cool to see the anime somewhat replicate its art style, though that would've been too complicated to animate. That being said, the staff isn't the most impressive.

Hopefully this anime announcement encourages J-Novel Club to release the novels in print. That way, even if the anime turns out to be disappointing, at least something else can come out from this anime.
Apr 17, 2021 3:09 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Took a long time for this one, recall hearing about how good it was way back in the beginning, but reading LNs with few volumes is a pain so... been only 5 years lol.

Anyway, good news indeed!
Apr 17, 2021 4:08 PM
Jan 2012
This is one of the few Isekai I actually like, so I'm glad it's finally going to be recognized. It's started to veer off into regular ass Isekai, but I still really like the beginning arc.
Apr 17, 2021 9:35 PM
Feb 2019
Synopsis being unique and interesting, seemingly interesting fantasy setting and a fucking paladin as a protagonist? Count me in.
Apr 18, 2021 9:25 AM
Dec 2018
I just finished the first volume of the Light Novel. Shame it doesn't have a paperback release though.

Amazing start. I actually just spent 2.5 hours reading through volume 1 and was in for a heck of a ride. However, I have heard the subsequent volumes significantly decline in quality.

I like dub more than sub because I am not a weeb.
Apr 18, 2021 9:48 AM

Apr 2013
I've heard good things about this LN this last few years, nice to see it getting an adaptation.
Apr 18, 2021 9:59 AM

Sep 2016
Oh, I had this on my PTR. Nice. I like this.
bruh
Apr 18, 2021 11:41 PM

Nov 2010
Looking forward to watching this adaptation.

Kawase Maki voicing the MC is quite odd. Even though William's voice "could" be effeminate, I think someone like Yamashita Daiki or hell, even Murase Ayumu would fit the bill here.
Apr 19, 2021 12:34 AM

Oct 2020
Oooh, i actually read the manga a while back. Didn't know it was based on LN and i was just left the manga to pile up first.. lol
I'm really liking the beginning, will's voice isn't exactly what I'm expecting tho. But I'm still glad it's adapted! Looking forward to it~
A certain person lurking here
Apr 24, 2021 1:35 PM

Oct 2019
So.. We finally can get an anime adaptation that contains no female character? (Weell.. Maybe except his mother)
Apr 27, 2021 6:46 AM
Aug 2016
I want to thank everybody how made this possible. As novel reader I never even hoped that this series would get animated. This is my favorite literature piece. Thanks to the writer, I found my favorite music actist Christopher Tin. I hope how ever is in charge of music would use the same style. I´m sure you can do it. Even goblin slayer got Mili music. I couldn´t believe it. Hoping the best for the series. No matter how it will be adapted. More people should know this series.
Aug 3, 2021 5:17 AM
May 2014
I was excited. But now I'm concerned. This has gotta be one of the best isekais out there, manga art was phenomenal too.

But. But. Why is he a red head. Why is there a girl in the cover pic. Why does he look like a chick. Why does he sound so chick.

I'm concerned. I adore the manga but my hopes aren't high for this adaption... Sincerely hope it'll live up to it's originals.

More topics from this board

» 'High Card' Gets New Episode

DatRandomDude - Mar 25

3 by Memore »»
2 hours ago

» '30-sai made Doutei dato Mahoutsukai ni Nareru Rashii' Gets Compilation Movie in 2024

DatRandomDude - 10 hours ago

5 by Memore »»
2 hours ago

» Netflix Produces 'Hanma Baki vs. Kengan Ashura' Anime Movie

Hyperion_PS - Mar 22

7 by malvarez1 »»
5 hours ago

» 'Kami no Tou' 2nd Season Announces New Staff, Supporting Cast, Theme Songs

DatRandomDude - Mar 22

2 by malvarez1 »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Houseki no Kuni' Concludes Serialization

Vindstot - Mar 25

30 by GL_ »»
Yesterday, 7:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.