Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 2, 2012 7:58 PM

Apr 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
good dumb ott walnut-chompin' fun!

Only saw the English dub - pretty good, sounded like the Brits-doing-American dubbers like in Dominion (I like that dub). *edit: seen it in Japanese now, pretty great.

One thing I didn't understand though - the girl in the first scene was disguised as the kidnapped girl (to deliberately get caught on that camera) - didn't Bean recognise her when she got dropped off to his flat? I guess she had a cap on when he saw her. *edit: ah and prosthetic masks..!
I generally liked how open it was about the implausibility of some parts without being "ironic", and the fact the plot was surprisingly good!
BlackoutingAug 28, 2016 6:32 PM
Jan 5, 2013 6:48 PM
Oct 2011
Yeah, I really liked this too, it was a lot of fun with a ton of awesome action and car chases (probably some of the best/coolest anime car chases I've seen), and Bean and Rally were a blast. Same here I've only seen the old English dub and quite enjoyed it.

This thing looks really nice on the blu-ray rip.

That great walnut chomp lol :D

Gunsmith Cats was also really cool, Rally leads the show too. I wish they'd made more of the anime for it. Thanks to this topic, I'm finally picking up all of the manga (Revised of the first part and Burst) so I can see/read the rest of it before the manga's even harder to find.
Aug 24, 2013 9:22 AM

Mar 2009
Such a good movie with a very classic concept, the music, the songs couldn't be better suitable for this movie.
Jul 3, 2014 12:43 PM

Feb 2008
This is like The Transporter before The Transporter was even filmed. This is the original Transporter and the American movie is just a rip off.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jul 25, 2014 5:38 PM

Jan 2008
Interesting that you mention The Transporter - I was thinking the same exact thing.
May 13, 2015 6:07 PM

May 2012
Pretty crazy ending if you ask me, in general this was pretty solid to be honest! All in all it was a decent ova if you ask me.
Feb 2, 2016 9:14 PM

Jul 2015
ZetaZaku said:
This is like The Transporter before The Transporter was even filmed. This is the original Transporter and the American movie is just a rip off.

My thoughts too. ^^

I would have loved to see more episodes of RidingBean. Im not talking about 50+ episodes, but one season, where his background story would have been presented, would have been enough for me. Well, times and tastes have changed too much by now and I dont think a trash 80s flick would work today, but maybe Im wrong and there still is actually a big audience for that kind of stuff.
Feb 10, 2016 3:43 PM

Mar 2011
Pretty interesting characters, it would be nice if there were more episodes. 4/5
Mar 2, 2016 4:07 PM

Jan 2012
that old intro english music , some kinda good gun shooting , the art is ok

Apr 8, 2016 6:03 PM

Nov 2009
Honestly liked this more than I expected to.

I expect to watch Gunsmith Cats very soon as I quite liked the premise.
Jun 10, 2016 3:09 AM

Apr 2012
Very nice. Not usually into this kind of thing, but those chase scenes were extremely entertaining.
Sep 8, 2016 11:06 AM

Dec 2015
Pretty good US 80s action flick. Not on par with Gunsmith Cats but already very effective.
The soundtrack was great but the drawings quality wasn't as crisp as expected from an OVA.

Enjoyment: 4.5+/5
Score: 6/10 Better than the few manga chapters made by Sonada during the video's production.

@Farabeuf The creator did a one-shot of this concept. And since the project wa dropped, he made his manga Gunsmith Cats who features Bean quite often.

August 27, 2017
@satyrelfheim Bean is the invincible man, yes. In Gunsmith Cats (manga), you just know that whatever happens on the panels, the guy will come out of it unscathed next page. XD

March 26, 2020
@tabernac Why? Any problem?

November 4, 2020
Fortress_Maximus said:
What the hell is Bean made of, is he a terminator?

Based on this OAV and his appearances in both Gun Smith Cats comics series, I can say your hypothesis seems pretty close to the truth. (Some people even complain that this trait of him makes every chapter using him unfun since the outcome is "fixed". I find them fun nonetheless, but I love the character.)

April 10, 2021
St0rmblade said:
Bean looks like Woodchuck from Lodoss, they even both have an X-shaped scar, similar skin color/facial structure, and a headband, plus they both wield knives.
@Rei_III Do you know if there's any influence going on here?

I noticed the similarity (if you mean the head/skull shape) but simply discarded it as some sort of characteristic design used for a certain type of characters. If you're curious, why don't you ask Sonoda himself?
Rei_IIIApr 10, 2021 5:59 AM
Jul 28, 2017 4:09 PM
Nov 2015
Good action scenes but didn't really love it. I prefer a little more swords or robots in my hyper-masculine anime crap.
Aug 23, 2017 12:46 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm happy I backed the kickstarter for this. A funny, action packed, beautifully animated OVA that oozes 80's. Had a blast watching this. A shame it didn't get more episodes.

ZetaZaku said:

You're so right!
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 16, 2018 1:13 AM
May 2014
This was awesome man
Aug 23, 2018 7:13 PM

Jul 2017
Wow, that was weird, pretty awesome but weird. Bean has an armored headband and jacket (to an extreme extent) and eats walnuts in the shell and pineapples, skin and all. This was pre-irony macho action stuff, though, so, even though it was so ridiculous, it works better. Like, the English dub clearly knew this was outrageous, but it worked. The soundtrack was awesome too. This was a true B-movie anime, a true trash OVA.
May 14, 2019 1:19 PM

Sep 2015
real human bean

and a real hero
Aug 8, 2019 8:35 PM

Jul 2008
Loved it, I'll probably watch it again sometime since it's easy to miss details in such an action packed anime.
Aug 19, 2019 10:12 PM
Jul 2018
neat ova as a action flick but some of the over-the-top scenes kind of makes me scratch my head which really could had executed in different scenario especially mostly I find them very mean-spirited and some of the psychics were too absurd.

Also haven't watched the eng dub, but I felt the jap va were very mixed bag to me like or put the wrong actor choice.
removed-userAug 24, 2019 5:18 PM
Mar 25, 2020 5:16 PM

Apr 2016
How much coke were the writers snorting when they wrote this flick!?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 4, 2020 5:27 PM

Feb 2012
Oooh Blonde Rally

Best watched in dub for the immersion of this being set in America.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 8, 2021 3:41 PM

Aug 2017
Wow, this OVA made my day. Awesome chases, lovely designs and totally banger music which fits just right. The concept of bulletproof masks/suits is simple but awesome and can be used in interesting ways. Definitely a nice "promo" for Gunsmith Cats.

Bean looks like Woodchuck from Lodoss, they even both have an X-shaped scar, similar skin color/facial structure, and a headband, plus they both wield knives.
@Rei_III Do you know if there's any influence going on here?

Throughout the OVA, I think there were 3 cities namedropped or written on the background objects? Chicago, NY (in the police department) and Ontario (the name of the warehouse).

I am bamboozled by Semmer's profile picture on MAL (isn't it Bianca from the manga depicted in some artwork?). She surprised me as a character though (as well as her partner - didn't expect an abusive lesbian relationship but here we go). The final showdown showed Semmer to be a lot less "badass" in the face of mortal danger.
St0rmbladeApr 9, 2021 4:23 AM
Jun 19, 2021 10:12 PM

May 2021
It was really cool & the action was great. Also, Bean's car is pretty sweet.
Jul 8, 2022 6:29 AM

Oct 2015
Semmerling is a stubborn greedy fool. She should've just surrendered to Bean, if only she had listened to Carrie.

This was a blast, I loved every minute of it. Only problem is that it was too short. Blinked and it was gone.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 23, 2023 2:02 AM
Sep 2020
The animation, the music, the voice acting and the action, this OVA has it all. Too bad Kenichi Sonoda and Toshiba EMI had a falling out so there were no more episodes.

Based on Bean's fast and smooth driving skills, it's obvious that they get away again in the end. His sunglasses flying off when he angrily ate those walnuts back at the mansion when his car was insulted was hilarious.

I never saw The Warriors but I loved the reference at the end.

The part where Rally throws her magazine while keeping one in the chamber to kill the henchman taking Chelsea hostage was badass.

I wonder if Bean knows how to use a gun and if he's the type to use one. I wonder if his car has guns and bombs.

I love the odd couple chemistry between Bean and Rally. Bean being the rough and short tempered yet gentle guy and Rally as a nice and cool woman who isn't afraid to kick some ass. These 2 basically married since they live together, they kinda act like parents towards Chelsea and they basically argue like an old married couple.

If by some miracle that this gets an anime, it can be basically Bean doing jobs and only going after clients and other people who are doing wrong while Percy is hot on his trails. Sometimes they clear their names if they're framed for something they didn't do. Maybe they can show Bean doing more knife fights or hand-to-hand combat. I'm cool with Percy being forced to team up with Bean while Bean is enjoying pushing Percy's buttons.

When kids are involved in the situation, both Bean and Rally do their best to care for the kids and make them happy which is one of the factors of bringing the 2 closer together. Maybe they can show more of their domestic life where they take turns cooking and doing chores.

They can also explain how Bean got his bulletproof jacket, his superhuman strength and maybe his bulletproof headband with how his head resisted Semmerling's bullet. They can also explain how Bean and Rally met, became partners and ended up living together.
gio_lingadFeb 23, 2023 2:06 AM
Gio G. Lingad
Jun 26, 2023 10:34 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Why rally isn't listed as a character? And why is simmerling picture is dark skinned?

Nov 7, 2023 5:08 PM

Oct 2018
Ok this was really awesome, especially the long chase scene. Never dwelled too much on anything to waste time. The final part taking place in the basement resulted in shading over the characters which is a delight to watch.

More topics from this board

» This Deserves a Series

Aiaigasa - Jul 17, 2020

7 by gio_lingad »»
Feb 23, 2023 1:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.