Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Mar 24, 2021 12:45 PM
Jul 2019
Yazan_Aot said:
Borshta said:

Wit did get overworked, you can say working conditions in most studios are harsh. Releasing 3 high production seasons during 2017-2019 period. Also WIT is a considerably smaller studio than Mappa, even a single big project can be a tough task for them, but they do deliver.

3 high production in 3 years, not 4 or more high production in 1 year
and WIT use lots of freelancer

and as you said "working conditions in most studios are harsh" and am with you 100% but some studios are worst than others
el3mel said:
retard_sean said:

I feel like if anyone doesnt care about the wellbeing of the animators, its people like you. Instead of sucking it up and enjoying the show for what it is you ridicule every little thing the animators do wrong. You act so high and mighty as if you care about the animators and yet you only seem to care about your own benefit and personal enjoyment. You do realise animators put all their hard work into shows like these and to be told straight up that their work is dog shit isnt what I consider "caring for the wellbeing of the staff". Especially when its not their fault they had such a shitty schedule. A perfect example is the director for episode 6. A man who cared about the show and wanted it to do well, forced into depression because he was told over and over again that it was terrible. Its not far fetched to assume animators feel the same way especially since they are paid even less, but they aren't seen by the public eye like the director was on an interview. Who wants to wake up and go work a badly paying job just to be told their work is shit yet another week?? Not to mention, no one seemed to care when WIT did the exact same thing to their aninmators for years. I wonder why that is? Because people got the animation they wanted. Funny how everyone only cares about the overworked animators when they dont get the animation they want and bully the studio for it. Don't act so high and mighty thinking you actually give a damn when all you care about is yourself.

Anyone who works in any sort of media or entertainment be it movies, shows, anime, games or whatever must be prepared to see harsh words and insults from casual fans. I'm not saying this is right, but this is how world works and if anyone can't deal with this he shouldn't choose anyone of these a profession from the start.
why can't a man follow his passion even if he's a little sensitive? Dude u can only judge but can't understand the man who worked way way harder than u ever did in ur life or will prolly will and, u won't know the pressure to satisfy a fanbase of millions but keep playing the smartass card
Mar 24, 2021 12:46 PM

Jul 2020
UberBat said:
Is the animation quality that bad or is it just not up to the standards certain SnK fans want for their favourite show?

From what I've seen of the current season (youtube clips ect) it doesn't look terrible to me. Surely the plot is the most important even with just fairly decent Animation?

The animation is certainly not bad if we take it as a standalone season but compared to previous seasons yeah it's pretty mediocre-a huge downgrade compared to the previous seasons so yeah.You can say it was just not up to the standards of Aot fans..The story is the only thing that is keeping the show going.Also the character designs too where only a margin of people care about.
Atlos said:
I could be a compilation film. These things are fairly common

That would seriously be going down in history as the worst anime ending ever.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Mar 24, 2021 12:47 PM
Dec 2020
retard_sean said:
alexa_78 said:
casuals will eat anything that is thrown at them,they dont give a crap about the well being of the staff.

I feel like if anyone doesnt care about the wellbeing of the animators, its people like you. Instead of sucking it up and enjoying the show for what it is you ridicule every little thing the animators do wrong. You act so high and mighty as if you care about the animators and yet you only seem to care about your own benefit and personal enjoyment. You do realise animators put all their hard work into shows like these and to be told straight up that their work is dog shit isnt what I consider "caring for the wellbeing of the staff". Especially when its not their fault they had such a shitty schedule. A perfect example is the director for episode 6. A man who cared about the show and wanted it to do well, forced into depression because he was told over and over again that it was terrible. Its not far fetched to assume animators feel the same way especially since they are paid even less, but they aren't seen by the public eye like the director was on an interview. Who wants to wake up and go work a badly paying job just to be told their work is shit yet another week?? Not to mention, no one seemed to care when WIT did the exact same thing to their aninmators for years. I wonder why that is? Because people got the animation they wanted. Funny how everyone only cares about the overworked animators when they dont get the animation they want and bully the studio for it. Don't act so high and mighty thinking you actually give a damn when all you care about is yourself.
at the end of the day, we are consumers. Ofc I want the best for the staff but if the product is bad (at least for me), I can be disappointed. And yeah it was the same case with wit but what should people know? ofc most of the people will see production problems if the product is bad, wit delivered regardless of the production. But what should people do now? Defend mappas staff because they worked hard or dont because it was the same case with wit? We are consumers, the product matters to us at the end
Attack on Titan ended with chapter 123 and 130/131 is the epilogue
Mar 24, 2021 12:47 PM

Jan 2008
Discussion_123 said:
UberBat said:
Is the animation quality that bad or is it just not up to the standards certain SnK fans want for their favourite show?

From what I've seen of the current season (youtube clips ect) it doesn't look terrible to me. Surely the plot is the most important even with just fairly decent Animation?
It would have been ok but stupid Animes like Boruto are getting better animation then Aot deserves better .

Aot is a great show which has combination of everything From action to story and you cannot just take away a part from it and expect it not to be criticised .

I just want Aot to have great animation just like Jujutsu kaisen and Demon slayer . Aot deserves this . Wit has done it Mappa should do it as well . Since there is nothing as such as a time constraints or Manga ending for next part so next part should get it's justice .

So you are not fine with the animation because shows you don't like have better "quality"?

Sounds very petty
Mar 24, 2021 12:48 PM
Dec 2020
UberBat said:
Discussion_123 said:
It would have been ok but stupid Animes like Boruto are getting better animation then Aot deserves better .

Aot is a great show which has combination of everything From action to story and you cannot just take away a part from it and expect it not to be criticised .

I just want Aot to have great animation just like Jujutsu kaisen and Demon slayer . Aot deserves this . Wit has done it Mappa should do it as well . Since there is nothing as such as a time constraints or Manga ending for next part so next part should get it's justice .

So you are not fine with the animation because shows you don't like have better "quality"?

Sounds very petty
I think the reason most of us dont like it, is because its a huge downgrade from the previous seasons. Its bad for the retrospective way
Mar 24, 2021 12:49 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
thats like the most obvious statement you could make
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 24, 2021 12:50 PM
Jul 2019
Yazan_Aot said:
Borshta said:

Wit did get overworked, you can say working conditions in most studios are harsh. Releasing 3 high production seasons during 2017-2019 period. Also WIT is a considerably smaller studio than Mappa, even a single big project can be a tough task for them, but they do deliver.

and as you said "working conditions in most studios are harsh" and am with you 100% but some studios are worst than others
bruh mappa's using a lot of freelancers too like any production,but the superones prefer jjk, bruh wit's staff were fed on energy bars as food, and wit's ceo made bad jokes about whipping the staff for season 3 after season 2 and working them night and day, wit never was a studio thatt cared for its staff and u never were a person who cared for the animators, stop being pretentious
Mar 24, 2021 12:50 PM
Jul 2019
Sage_Path_Asahi said:
Yazan_Aot said:

el3mel said:

Anyone who works in any sort of media or entertainment be it movies, shows, anime, games or whatever must be prepared to see harsh words and insults from casual fans. I'm not saying this is right, but this is how world works and if anyone can't deal with this he shouldn't choose anyone of these a profession from the start.
why can't a man follow his passion even if he's a little sensitive? Dude u can only judge but can't understand the man who worked way way harder than u ever did in ur life or will prolly will and, u won't know the pressure to satisfy a fanbase of millions but keep playing the smartass card

I'm sorry but you can't convince everyone in the world to like your work or even mildly criticize it. Maybe you or I can, thousands others can't. If you work in a media job you should fully expect to be slaughtered on internet from time to time, especially if you're working for a huge name like this.

You either adapt to it, don't enter internet at all to read opinions on your work or simply don't choose a profession like this from the start. All are realistic solutions, but expecting all the fans in the world to either like your work or gently criticize it is unrealistic and will never happen. This is how world works, I'm sorry.
Mar 24, 2021 12:54 PM

Jan 2008
yaegerist-15 said:
UberBat said:

Sounds very petty
I think the reason most of us dont like it, is because its a huge downgrade from the previous seasons. Its bad for the retrospective way

That's to be expected though.. Different studio, reduced budget ect...

I understand there will be disappointment but it's not like MAPPA has ruined Aot.
Mar 24, 2021 12:57 PM
Dec 2020
UberBat said:
yaegerist-15 said:

I understand there will be disappointment but it's not like MAPPA has ruined Aot.
no, the budget for this season is the highest. But the committee didn't gibe them enough time so the end product looks mediocre. And that will be the same for part 2. So we are disappointed because the animation is subpar but other people are defending every shit from this season because we should be grateful. ofc that's true that they didn't have the time but this doesn't mean that the product is good. people are allowed to criticize this season. The studio change isnt the main issue, but the committee forcing this ridiculous schedule. And in my eyes its kinda ruined and its the fault of Kodansha and mappa higher ups. But its no the fault of the staff
Mar 24, 2021 1:01 PM
Jul 2019
I found the animation to be quite decent at the start but degraded massively as it went on.

This season has been overall very good even with its flaws, but season 3 with its 2 parts is still the most fun I have had with AOT till now and so far the peak of the anime. I even enjoyed the politics in season 3 more than that in season 4 in someway.
el3melMar 24, 2021 1:04 PM
Mar 24, 2021 1:02 PM

Jul 2020
UberBat said:
yaegerist-15 said:

I actually heard that the budget was put more into this season compared to previous ones.So the reason of the downgrade animation is just time constraints.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Mar 24, 2021 3:43 PM

Oct 2020
dont forget aot final seaosn p2
# of bans: 4

@NoLiferSoul is an S+ tier MAL Staff member

@anime-prime and @AlexPaulLEWZ are S tier

Rest are mid
Mar 24, 2021 3:53 PM
May 2019
Aot season1 =
Awfull schedule. even the studio asking for help to finish it.
major bd fixes.

Aot Season 2 =
Only 12 episode due the lack of animator.

Aot season 3 =
wit working it but all resources goes to Kabaneri movie & vinland saga.
and using new artstyle due the missing of majority prev aot team
split 2 cour and pt2 has a bit upgrade

Aot season 4=
mappa is doing jjk. that's kinda suspicious.
and incoming csm
also split cour

aot just never be favorite
Mar 24, 2021 4:03 PM
Aug 2020
Yazan_Aot said:
Sage_Path_Asahi said:
where were ur concerns when wit did the same, y'all didn't care coz y'all care abt animation not animators

when did wit work on lots of project like Mappa?
i will always be against overwork, but you are one of Mappa fans and you dont care about the staff
and bad animation came from overworked
yeah ok just letting you know wit did their employees worse
Mar 24, 2021 4:10 PM

Dec 2018
I would say movie will employ less animators than JJK season 2 so its not that bad. And if you wanna have good animation its all about freelancers in anime industry with better schedule for AOT they will join no matter how much projects MAPPA take.
Mar 24, 2021 4:35 PM

Nov 2014
I couldn't care less about jujutsu kaisen movie to be honest, i wish MAPPA would just focus on finishing AoT adaptation and do it justice instead, but now they are getting in their hands more they can chew. Hope they don't screw up big.
Mar 24, 2021 4:42 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
"Don't try it."

"You underestimate my poooowwweerrr"

NYANPASU
5700XT

Mar 24, 2021 5:37 PM
Jul 2018
yea even arifumi imai could be in jjk movie or s2. well aot fans will be....
Mar 24, 2021 5:53 PM
Mar 2021
UberBat said:
Discussion_123 said:

Sounds very petty
I don't have problem with them having better animation . I want Aot to have great animation as well pretty simple. I didn't have any problem with others just that this season could have been easily 10x Better than it is now given enough time . That's why I want it to have great animation . Check difference in this images for instance

Mar 24, 2021 5:55 PM
Dec 2020
Discussion_123 said:
UberBat said:

Sounds very petty
I don't have problem with them having better animation . I want Aot to have great animation as well pretty simple. I didn't have any problem with others just that this season could have been easily 10x Better than it is now given enough time . That's why I want it to have great animation . Check difference in this images for instance

what a waste, and regardless of the schedule, they'll still use the 3dcg titan shifter models for part 2/movies
Mar 24, 2021 6:03 PM
Mar 2021
yaegerist-15 said:

what a waste, and regardless of the schedule, they'll still use the 3dcg titan shifter models for part 2/movies

I pray From god that atleast part 2 gets better treatment
Mar 24, 2021 10:59 PM
Jul 2018
el3mel said:
retard_sean said:

@retard_sean lmao where did you the hear the fact that director was forced into depression cuz of criticism. Some guys always blow the fact out of water. He was a little disappointed, and that's natural after getting criticism. Seriously you're undermining a professional, who has been working for long knowing the conditions of his work, as if he would go into depression.
Mar 24, 2021 11:43 PM
Jan 2018
Awesomeness_1307 said:
Blackkatsu001 said:

Eslam doesn't know shit about Aot, he's just a fake leaker. Remmeber when he said there's a super animator working on part 1 ? lol

Well, I don't know if he's a super animator, but Satoshi Sakai is amazing. He has been carrying this season for me in terms of animation. He's handling all the effects and explosion work this season, and he's honestly stunning. I don't think smoke in AoT has ever looked as good as this season. The entire slow mo and explosion in the end of episode 15 is also mostly him.

Yeah for me the explosion sakuga is the only good animation this season. Be it the thunder spears or the Collosal Transformation.
Subjectivity is a joke on MAL. If you implicitly bring in subjectivity in your counter argument, you've already lost the debate. Also this website is a fankid infestation , have pity on those kids by ignoring there quotes as they have absolutely no clue what exactly is going on.
Mar 25, 2021 12:32 AM
Dec 2020
Bhaskar_Singh said:
Awesomeness_1307 said:

Well, I don't know if he's a super animator, but Satoshi Sakai is amazing. He has been carrying this season for me in terms of animation. He's handling all the effects and explosion work this season, and he's honestly stunning. I don't think smoke in AoT has ever looked as good as this season. The entire slow mo and explosion in the end of episode 15 is also mostly him.

Yeah for me the explosion sakuga is the only good animation this season. Be it the thunder spears or the Collosal Transformation.
I think the 30 second mikasa vs wht cut was some good sakuga. Warhammer Titan was 2d there and mikasa was a mix if 2d and 3d. That was the best odm cut this season
Mar 25, 2021 12:34 AM
Dec 2020
yaegerist-15 said:
I think the 30 second mikasa vs wht cut was some good sakuga. Warhammer Titan was 2d there and mikasa was a mix if 2d and 3d. That was the best odm cut this season

Best ODM cut award this season goes to Commander Lobov lol. And that one awesome cut of the scouts flying around defending the airship in episode 8. The cut of Levi flying down while dodging chunks of meat is pretty good too. Still not as dynamic as Lobov.
Mar 25, 2021 12:37 AM
Dec 2020
Awesomeness_1307 said:
yaegerist-15 said:

Best ODM cut award this season goes to Commander Lobov lol. And that one awesome cut of the scouts flying around defending the airship in episode 8. The cut of Levi flying down while dodging chunks of meat is pretty good too. Still not as dynamic as Lobov.
true that was the best sakuga but the overall cut of mikasa vs wht was Sakuga worthy
Mar 25, 2021 12:52 AM

Jun 2016
Was hella confused why a Jujutsu Kaisen movie thread was the most recent thing for AOT, but reading the replies. lmao.

Storywise, definitely way better than s1-s3 imo. But if all I cared about was the story, I'd just read the manga. Ngl, most of the time the animation was pretty weak, especially comparing to s3 p2. It was just fine enough to be irrelevant to me, but throw a movie production into that. If the quality manages to stay at this mediocre level, it'd probably be a miracle. Not to say there weren't any good scenes, but overall, most scenes were just there. Nothing great, nothing terrible. Any noticeable scenes, were just noticeably above average or below average. Not great or terrible.
Mar 25, 2021 3:35 AM
Feb 2020
Lguanlin92 said:
Simple, they will prioritize Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsaw Man as their golden children, and abandon AOT who is actually an adopted child XD

basically this,lets be honest here,AOT IS SUPER POPULAR AND MAINSTREAM,mappa can go full deen on it and fandom will be okay,then they need to throw all the budget to JJK and chainsaw who isnt as popular as aot worldwide
Mar 25, 2021 3:56 AM
Jan 2018
zerokarasu said:
Lguanlin92 said:
Simple, they will prioritize Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsaw Man as their golden children, and abandon AOT who is actually an adopted child XD

basically this,lets be honest here,AOT IS SUPER POPULAR AND MAINSTREAM,mappa can go full deen on it and fandom will be okay,then they need to throw all the budget to JJK and chainsaw who isnt as popular as aot worldwide

This has already been accomplished by this season. Regardless of how good the direction was, I can't think of a single continuous complex sakuga sequence lasting more that 5 sec or so in the entire season and its still killing the rankings. Majority of good animation is Explosions.Logically makes sense from a business view point. Remove the flashy bits from JJK,GOHS, people wouldn't care less.
Bhaskar_SinghMar 25, 2021 5:29 AM
Subjectivity is a joke on MAL. If you implicitly bring in subjectivity in your counter argument, you've already lost the debate. Also this website is a fankid infestation , have pity on those kids by ignoring there quotes as they have absolutely no clue what exactly is going on.
Mar 25, 2021 4:08 AM

Aug 2020
zerokarasu said:
Lguanlin92 said:

why would they give a fuck what "worldwide" people think? most of the revenue comes from japan,then china.

as long as its popular on japan (which JJK is a lot more then AOT atm) then its very profitable
Mar 25, 2021 4:46 AM
Dec 2020
Sad7727 said:

why would they give a fuck what "worldwide" people think? most of the revenue comes from japan,then china.

as long as its popular on japan (which JJK is a lot more then AOT atm) then its very profitable

AoT is one of the most watched shows in the US right now. How much does that get them? I don't really have an idea, but I feel like it should be a lot?
Mar 25, 2021 4:55 AM
Aug 2017
Minerrr said:
Madlaad said:
Well i dont think it can get any worse than it already is.

lmao you rated aot final season a 1 only because of the animation... you're an idiot.

you rated every other season and the manga a 10. mappa is adapting the final season faithfully. the animation is the only thing thats "bad"

Yeah and animation is the only i care about when it comes to aot. I already know the story. I gave aots manga a 10. This adaptation is a disgrace.
Mar 25, 2021 5:04 AM
Jul 2018
zerokarasu said:
Lguanlin92 said:

They'll never do that LOL, Trust me, MAPPA will definitely care more about Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsaw Man who are their own children, why should they bother thinking about AOT who are only adopted children from WIT XD

Also comparing the popularity of the three when Jujutsu Kaisen just got an anime and Chainsaw Man anime hasn't aired yet, like it's not too fair let's see after 6-7 years who is more popular.
removed-userMar 25, 2021 5:12 AM
Mar 25, 2021 5:10 AM
Aug 2020
Attack on titan will just be slide show in the next 😂😂 prbly the quality will be the same like early dragon ball super or seven deadly sins too bad😂
Mar 25, 2021 5:26 AM
Mar 2021
zxcRaze said:
Attack on titan will just be slide show in the next 😂😂 prbly the quality will be the same like early drago
n ball super or seven deadly sins too bad😂
Careful mappa might do Even worse and get the narrator Armin to speak the story only with a blank screen .
Mar 25, 2021 7:55 AM

Aug 2020
Awesomeness_1307 said:
Sad7727 said:

AoT is one of the most watched shows in the US right now. How much does that get them? I don't really have an idea, but I feel like it should be a lot?

anime revenue on the west is very small compared to japan's and china,and we don't have numbers about the most viewed anime on US (no that marketing data "parrot" site doesn't either,it measures popularity based of bogus stuff like torrent downloads and tweets) crunchyroll data showed that it was JJK in 2020 and we don't have anything beyond that.

regardless as i said revenue is very small compared to japan or china,for example your name earned 97% of their revenue from japan + china + korea. the only thing that was high was Dragon ball Super broly at 30.7M (US&Canda) and it still didn't beat japan's revenue although it came very close (34.6M)

Anime industry data for 2020 showed that japan still controls anime industry revenues with atleast 50%,the rest heavily dominanted by asia (China,korea). then you get NA. EU and latin america are there but even smaller then NA.

very successful mangas in NA/france sell like 1-2 million per year (Naruto,then MHA now),while popular mangas on japan do that in less then a week.
Mar 25, 2021 9:07 AM
Mar 2021
Inorichi said:
Was hella confused why a Jujutsu Kaisen movie thread was the most recent thing for AOT, but reading the replies. lmao.

Storywise, definitely way better than s1-s3 imo. But if all I cared about was the story, I'd just read the manga. Ngl, most of the time the animation was pretty weak, especially comparing to s3 p2. It was just fine enough to be irrelevant to me, but throw a movie production into that. If the quality manages to stay at this mediocre level, it'd probably be a miracle. Not to say there weren't any good scenes, but overall, most scenes were just there. Nothing great, nothing terrible. Any noticeable scenes, were just noticeably above average or below average. Not great or terrible.

They were already able to keep the mediocre quality with 2 cours of jujutsu kaisen ( not to mention all the other projects) why would they screw it up now having to animate less than 2 hours of the same show (quality will be better than a tv anime but 2 hours and 2 cours are way different ).

Mar 25, 2021 10:00 AM
Jul 2018
Scordolo said:
Fiveskies said:

I have been with mappa all this time but it would be very scummy if they rush part 2 . They have no reason for this .

They if they mess up part 2 they literally have no reason for this.As for part 1 I understand because it was covid and all the lockdown stuff but they don't have any excuse if they mess up part 2 now that the Japan is open and all.Hope that they don't mess up Chainsaw man

Don't be worry, I think mappa won't be shitting CSM production. I also thought just AoT production had bad production at every mappa anime made. So yea mappa only had bad luck in AoT production lol...
Mar 25, 2021 6:20 PM

Jun 2016
nabbo13 said:
Inorichi said:

They were already able to keep the mediocre quality with 2 cours of jujutsu kaisen ( not to mention all the other projects) why would they screw it up now having to animate less than 2 hours of the same show (quality will be better than a tv anime but 2 hours and 2 cours are way different ).

There's also chainsaw man which will most likely be airing in the next year or so. No idea how large Mappa's staff is, but they're working on a lot, and it's not like the quality has been mind blowing so far. I can't really see a higher quality production when they have a sequel to a very popular anime, right off the heels of ufotables Kimetsu movie, while working on chainsaw and a AOT which supposedly takes significantly more effort to produce over other anime.

Like if AOT final was mind blowing, sure, mappa can take on another half dozen shows and I wouldn't care. But AOT Final's animation was mediocre at best imo, I don't really see how they have the leeway to throw on a movie adaptation with Chainsaw and whatever else they have planned. And it's not like Jujutsu and Chainsaw are small titles either. Just my 2 cents though, again no idea how big or small Mappa is or how a studio operates so could be unfounded.

Also- I know in my posts, I mentioned the quality dropping, but I'd rather not the quality stay the same either. AOT Final's animation was already much weaker than any other season, I'd really like to see it improve.
Mar 25, 2021 6:26 PM
Feb 2017
Anime Only AoT Spoilers

It's Aiko!!!!
Mar 25, 2021 11:30 PM

Oct 2020
Lmfao I feel bad for AOT fans now XDDDD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 26, 2021 12:19 AM
Dec 2020
The moderation here is really terrible. How is a post about Jujutsu Kaisen still up after 2 days in the AoT forums? Is this not against the rules or something?
Mar 26, 2021 12:33 AM

Mar 2019
Movie? I wonder if it'll be an arc or some sort of filler.
Mar 26, 2021 12:35 AM

Oct 2017
Sad7727 said:
Awesomeness_1307 said:

anime revenue on the west is very small compared to japan's and china,and we don't have numbers about the most viewed anime on US (no that marketing data "parrot" site doesn't either,it measures popularity based of bogus stuff like torrent downloads and tweets) crunchyroll data showed that it was JJK in 2020 and we don't have anything beyond that.

regardless as i said revenue is very small compared to japan or china,for example your name earned 97% of their revenue from japan + china + korea. the only thing that was high was Dragon ball Super broly at 30.7M (US&Canda) and it still didn't beat japan's revenue although it came very close (34.6M)

Anime industry data for 2020 showed that japan still controls anime industry revenues with atleast 50%,the rest heavily dominanted by asia (China,korea). then you get NA. EU and latin america are there but even smaller then NA.

very successful mangas in NA/france sell like 1-2 million per year (Naruto,then MHA now),while popular mangas on japan do that in less then a week.

Where are you getting that most of the international revenue is coming from China and Asia? They don't specify in industry reports by pure profit and if you count by contract NA has the majority at around 42.9% looking at 2019's report and 31.5% for Asia. Now sure China could be paying more for each individual contract but I don't see where you are getting they are unless it's an assumption. Plus just because a few films have sold more in China doesn't mean it's the same for the average TV seasonal. The fact China came out to watch Your Name doesn't mean all of those same people are watching the average seasonal. You also have producers like the one for SH saying that overseas streaming is likely where the big money for the anime industry is going to lie. The fact companies like Sony have spent so much money acquiring services like CR says something.

Regardless it's more easily explained in AOT is ending they want to get it out soon as the manga is airing and also JJK and CSM are somewhat new titles with more seasons ahead of them. AOT is in the twilight period of almost being over and after it's done the amount of future profit is going to be minimal. AOT may not have the same level of love in Japan as the West but even until the end it was one of the more popular titles even if JJK has finally started to outsell it.
BilboBaggins365Mar 26, 2021 12:44 AM
Mar 26, 2021 1:26 AM

Aug 2020
BilboBaggins365 said:
Sad7727 said:

Where are you getting that most of the international revenue is coming from China and Asia? They don't specify in industry reports by pure profit and if you count by contract NA has the majority at around 42.9% looking at 2019's report and 31.5% for Asia. Now sure China could be paying more for each individual contract but I don't see where you are getting they are unless it's an assumption. Plus just because a few films have sold more in China doesn't mean it's the same for the average TV seasonal. The fact China came out to watch Your Name doesn't mean all of those same people are watching the average seasonal. You also have producers like the one for SH saying that overseas streaming is likely where the big money for the anime industry is going to lie. The fact companies like Sony have spent so much money acquiring services like CR says something.

Regardless it's more easily explained in AOT is ending they want to get it out soon as the manga is airing and also JJK and CSM are somewhat new titles with more seasons ahead of them. AOT is in the twilight period of almost being over and after it's done the amount of future profit is going to be minimal. AOT may not have the same level of love in Japan as the West but even until the end it was one of the more popular titles even if JJK has finally started to outsell it.

https://aja.gr.jp/jigyou/chousa/sangyo_toukei

there's a 2020 report which NA had like 11.4% IIRC contracts ( English will probably release with animejapan),and there's a different japanese soruce then AJA which does so by region although its somewhat dated (2018)
https://www.soumu.go.jp/menu_seisaku/ictseisaku/housou_suishin/housou_kaigaitenkai.html

my point was not talking about specfic film here,im just saying even with massive popularity (which dragon ball is more then AOT will ever be) it still did not do massively. the market is simply not as big as japan or china yet.

im not saying there is no profit to be made,Sony also owns aniplex which produces a lot of anime. this combined with them monopolizing the streaming market around the world will lower costs a lot and drive more profit in the bigger picture so its a no-brainer decision for them.

JJK and CSM are much more profitable,espeically if you look at CSM sales. it almost topped AOT sales (for 2021) despite having no anime. so yes it does make sense to prioritize them over AOT which is ending and has already peaked in 2013. it is also smart move by kodnasha to rush it.
regardless im not sure what you're saying with your last point here,as i was talking about NA/EU market not japan.
Sad7727Mar 26, 2021 1:29 AM
Mar 26, 2021 1:54 AM

Oct 2017
Sad7727 said:
BilboBaggins365 said:

there's a 2020 report which NA had like 11.4% IIRC contracts ( English will probably release with animejapan),and there's a different japanese soruce then AJA which does so by region although its somewhat dated (2018)
https://www.soumu.go.jp/menu_seisaku/ictseisaku/housou_suishin/housou_kaigaitenkai.html

my point was not talking about specfic film here,im just saying even with massive popularity (which dragon ball is more then AOT will ever be) it still did not do massively. the market is simply not as big as japan or china yet.

im not saying there is no profit to be made,Sony also owns aniplex which produces a lot of anime. this combined with them monopolizing the streaming market around the world will lower costs a lot and drive more profit in the bigger picture so its a no-brainer decision for them.

JJK and CSM are much more profitable,espeically if you look at CSM sales. it almost topped AOT sales (for 2021) despite having no anime. so yes it does make sense to prioritize them over AOT which is ending and has already peaked in 2013. it is also smart move by kodnasha to rush it.
regardless im not sure what you're saying with your last point here,as i was talking about NA/EU market not japan.

Weird. I wonder why that changed drastically in 2 years especially as China if anything is being more picky about what is allowed to be legally streamed. Well until they translate the latest report I can't really read the details. Maybe Demon Slayer was that impactful lol.

Also yeah I didn't disagree on CSM and JJK overtaking AOT I am just saying it's still one of the more popular manga out there. You have less popular IPs getting quite a bit of love too. All I was saying in my last point is that popularity isn't the biggest factor rather that it's an ending series they need to finish up. I am not disagreeing with those comments on why Kodansha is doing what they are.

BilboBaggins365Mar 26, 2021 1:57 AM
Mar 26, 2021 1:58 AM

Aug 2020
BilboBaggins365 said:
Sad7727 said:

Weird. I wonder why that changed drastically in 2 years especially as China if anything is being more picky about what is allowed to be legally streamed. Well until they translate the latest report I can't really read the details. Maybe Demon Slayer was that impactful lol.

Also yeah I didn't disagree on CSM and JJK overtaking AOT I am just saying it's still one of the more popular manga out there.

My last point is that popularity isn't the biggest factor rather that it's an ending series they need to finish up. Literally all you are saying.

yes AOT still sells in the Japanese market for sure,but it has already peaked and it was a smart move by kodnasha to rush it to get that "ending boost".

my original reply was about the guy who thought popularity in west = revenue which is a wrong idea,I do agree they made it in order to capitalize in the ending boost not because of popularity.
Mar 26, 2021 2:11 AM

Oct 2017
Sad7727 said:
BilboBaggins365 said:

Also yeah I didn't disagree on CSM and JJK overtaking AOT I am just saying it's still one of the more popular manga out there.

My last point is that popularity isn't the biggest factor rather that it's an ending series they need to finish up. Literally all you are saying.

yes AOT still sells in the Japanese market for sure,but it has already peaked and it was a smart move by kodnasha to rush it to get that "ending boost".

my original reply was about the guy who thought popularity in west = revenue which is a wrong idea,I do agree they made it in order to capitalize in the ending boost not because of popularity.

All I am responding to is the idea Japan is the only market that matters which fair my misunderstanding. Ultimately that was true maybe say when I got into anime in the late 2000's/early 2010's but now you have tons of notable producers from studios like IG and Kinema Citrus saying they are looking at the foreign market. Outside of that it was also directed around the China comment but I hadn't seen the new numbers. So I was wrong there.

Now it could be mostly China (which honestly two years ago it looked like NA was ending up as the primary market but whatever) and if true that actually could work against AOT (it's banned) and why studios may want to work on titles that can capture the globe (granted wonder if Quanxi from CSM could get in trouble with the censorship board in China). China's censorship board could play a bigger role in what kinds of content studios are looking towards.

BilboBaggins365Mar 26, 2021 2:23 AM
Mar 26, 2021 2:23 AM

Aug 2020
BilboBaggins365 said:
Sad7727 said:

All I am responding to is the idea Japan is the only market that matters which fair my misunderstanding. Ultimately that was true maybe say when I got into anime in the late 2000's/early 2010's but now you have tons of notable producers from studios like IG and Kinema Citrus saying they are looking at the foreign market. Outside of that it was also directed around the China comment but I hadn't seen the new numbers. So I was wrong there.

Now it could be mostly China (which honestly two years ago it looked like NA was ending up as the primary market but whatever) and if true that actually could work against AOT (it's banned) and why studios may want to work on titles that can capture the globe (granted wonder if Quanxi from CSM could get in trouble with the censorship board in China).

it isn't the only thing that matters,but an anime flopping in japan has very high risk of not continuing since japan controls a little over half of the anime industry revenue.

im pretty sure foreign they're talking about china,china is a massive market. even hollywood is sanitizing their work and dying to get a chance at the chinese market (Endgame china revenue was only lower by 200m~ then US&Canada).
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt4154796/?ref_=bo_se_r_2

but i can see netflix helping in the NA side,as they fund anime productions and allow them to gain a wider casual audience.

AOT is definitely hurt by the chinese ban for sure,it was very popular before it got hit with the ban. im sure they lost atleast 100M in lost profit.

all in all this doesn't matter as long as the anime is profitable enough to get sequels,which AOT is for now.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » If Eren was in avatar...

TASM18 - 5 hours ago

7 by Pendragon572 »»
36 minutes ago

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 7, 2021

513 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 13, 8:01 AM

» Isayama: The Perfect Architect ( 1 2 )

Mikasa - Mar 29, 2021

65 by benisfroms »»
Apr 10, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Jan 10, 2021

986 by Jasmin061011 »»
Apr 2, 8:12 AM

» Falco and Gabi…

Arddaa52 - Jul 25, 2021

20 by Adrena »»
Mar 27, 6:50 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.