Forum Settings
Forums

Production Staff of 'Blue Period' TV Anime Announced

New
Mar 24, 2021 9:21 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
The official website of the television anime adapting Tsubasa Yamaguchi's Blue Period manga revealed the staff and a teaser visual (pictured) on Thursday. The anime series is scheduled for a 2021 airing.

Staff
Chief Director: Koji Masunari (Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, Uchuu Show e Youkoso)
Director: Katsuya Asano (Yu☆Gi☆Oh! Vrains, Madan no Ou to Vanadis episode director)
Series Composition, Script: Reiko Yoshida (Violet Evergarden, Bakuman.)
Character Design: Tomoyuki Shitaya (Shokugeki no Souma, Sakurada Reset)
Studio: Seven Arcs

Monthly Afternoon began serializing the school drama manga in June 2017. Kodansha published the ninth volume on January 21, with the tenth volume planned for a May 21 release. Blue Period has a cumulative 3 million copies of its volumes in print.

Source: Comic Natalie
VindstotApr 27, 2021 8:46 AM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 24, 2021 9:46 AM

Nov 2015
Dragevard said:
The big question is... is this yaoi?

I haven't read the manga. Looking at the discussions/reviews it looks like LGBT+ themes are explored (specifically transgender and/or crossdressing, though there may be more), but they don't necessarily drive the story.
Mar 24, 2021 10:05 AM

Jul 2016
This looks amazing! Can't decide if I should read the manga before or after.
Mar 24, 2021 10:06 AM

Mar 2015
Dragevard said:

It is not, its a slice of life, drama that focuses on the MC search for his passion
Mar 24, 2021 10:20 AM

Feb 2017
Not sure about this, I guess I had too high of expectations. Seeing Arte and Tonikaku Kawaii as studio's previous and most recent works doesn't inspire much confidence for this being some high quality production and director's only previous work is Yugioh vrains. THough chief director seems reliable and so does the scriptwriter. Guess we'll see but I am not expecting too much.
TsarkoMar 24, 2021 10:26 AM
Mar 24, 2021 10:21 AM

Jan 2015
Never heard of this one

I see a character that cross dresses. He will most likely be treated like a joke with plenty of stereotypes just like every other lgbt character in existence in anime
Mar 24, 2021 10:27 AM

Oct 2017
A total blue Key Visual, heh.
Mar 24, 2021 10:29 AM

Oct 2017
I know this series has quite a bit of praise. Looking forward to a good SOL drama. So many good titles getting adapted this year along with originals with potential.
Mar 24, 2021 10:35 AM

Apr 2012
Dragevard said:

Should it be? This is a dramatic hobby seinen SoL that touches on some LGBTQ topics, but it has never been a major or very important focus.

Xenocrisi said:
Never heard of this one

I see a character that cross dresses. He will most likely be treated like a joke with plenty of stereotypes just like every other lgbt character in existence in anime

As mentioned above, this manga has a pretty positive attitude towards crossdresser characters. Although of course, certain folks take it much higher than the original story.
Mar 24, 2021 10:38 AM

Nov 2018
Definitely not the studio I was hoping for, and the director doesn't inspire much confidence ether. I hope it's good...
"Otaku search for patterns within data presented and draw conclusions. Anime fans only see clones and copies."
-artificialnightsky
Mar 24, 2021 10:42 AM
Feb 2020
Solid staff and Blue Key Visual💙💙!
Mar 24, 2021 11:21 AM

Jun 2013
Xenocrisi said:
Never heard of this one

Just like every other character in anime.
Mar 24, 2021 11:57 AM

Mar 2018
Xenocrisi said:
Never heard of this one

Manga reader here!! Yuka’s gender identity is actually treated super seriously and with respect. As a nonbinary fella myself, I love how it’s handled and can’t wait for y’all to see :’)
Mar 24, 2021 12:21 PM

Feb 2011
Really looking forward to it. =)
眠れないのは君のせい
Mar 24, 2021 2:16 PM

Apr 2012
beargolfer said:
Xenocrisi said:
Never heard of this one

Manga reader here!! Yuka’s gender identity is actually treated super seriously and with respect. As a nonbinary fella myself, I love how it’s handled and can’t wait for y’all to see :’)

Yuka? This character isn't from main cast?
Mar 24, 2021 2:36 PM

Sep 2011
The studio has me nervous.
But the series comp/scriptwriter has me excited. She's done some great work.

"They escaped the weight of darkness,
to forge a path into the marrow of the spirit.
They chose to drown in a deeper vacancy,
an emptiness that quells the null,
a pool for the forgotten..."
Mar 24, 2021 2:37 PM

Mar 2018
RobertBobert said:

Yuka is in the main cast!! Ryuji Ayukawa is the full name, but he goes by Yuka :)! That's my bad, oops
Mar 24, 2021 2:58 PM

Apr 2012
beargolfer said:
RobertBobert said:

Yuka is in the main cast!! Ryuji Ayukawa is the full name, but he goes by Yuka :)! That's my bad, oops

I see. So, are they a respected otokonoko character that is not used as fujoshi food or an androgynous fanservice? I love these characters, but I don't like when they are used as a loophole for BL teasing, which is quite common in seinen works.
Mar 24, 2021 3:04 PM

Mar 2018
RobertBobert said:

I see. So, are they a respected otokonoko character that is not used as fujoshi food or an androgynous fanservice? I love these characters, but I don't like when they are used as a loophole for BL teasing, which is quite common in seinen works.

No BL teasing whatsoever about it in Blue Period, you're good! They're just friends with the protagonist and that's their relationship.
Mar 24, 2021 3:09 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Someone mentioned the original manga before and it kinda caught my interest... should I bother with the anime or go for the manga as planned?
Oh, Reiko Yoshida's working on this? The writing might be half-decent then.
Mar 24, 2021 3:16 PM

Apr 2012
beargolfer said:
RobertBobert said:

No BL teasing whatsoever about it in Blue Period, you're good! They're just friends with the protagonist and that's their relationship.

Well, I'm more than sure people already ship them, but that's not a problem lol. The only thing I want is that if their gender identity is really important, then that is not the only character trait. I love how Made in Abyss did it with Nanachi, even though their gender was canonically hidden.
Mar 24, 2021 4:14 PM

Aug 2018
While the chief director and script writer are fairly experienced the director choice worries me
_______I like rocks__
Mar 24, 2021 4:23 PM

Jan 2015
DemonicFang said:
Xenocrisi said:
Never heard of this one

Just like every other character in anime.

Sure, now make me a list of cis gender and straight characters whose sexuality and gender identity are treated as a joke.

Hint
Mar 24, 2021 6:02 PM

Jan 2010
Haven't read the manga yet, but when this was first announced, those who have read the manga gave high praises to it. SO I got excited for this. As an ex-artist, the subject of the story appealed to me.

But now that we've gotten the studio and staff for it ehhh...time to lower my expectations quite a bit. The manga seems to be pretty successful, so to see it get the short end of the stick studio and staff-wise is a bit disappointing. All the works this studio has put out all have pretty low ratings here on MAL. Read the reviews for their more recent works, and nothing positive said about the visuals, which seems like it should be a very key thing for a manga life this.
The director choice doesn't instill much confidence in it being good, since their only other recent work is a Yugioh anime. Only the Script writer seems the most competent.

Will wait for the PV, hopefully that'll make me more optimistic. But even if the PV looks good, it can still be a crappy adaption as a whole.
I know I'm being pretty negative, but its pretty common to see a really great manga/LN/Webcomic/etc get mediocre anime adaptations.
giveup-the-ghostMar 24, 2021 6:06 PM
Mar 24, 2021 6:07 PM

Aug 2010
That's a really nice Key Visual!

I had my expectations low since beginning since I just can't imagine how this anime will be in anime form, but now I'm quite excited actually.
Mar 24, 2021 8:52 PM

May 2020
This will probably be the not-so-experienced director's biggest work, hope it ends out fine
Mar 24, 2021 9:23 PM

Jan 2020
I have a bad feeling about seven arcs but hopefully everything else would be good.

KV looks incredible

Mar 24, 2021 10:37 PM
Jul 2018
The main question is, is it worth a watch?
Mar 25, 2021 5:59 AM

Apr 2017
oh no my hidden gem getting exposed

More topics from this board

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

15 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 1:39 AM

» 'Fruits Basket' Creator Launches New Manga

Hyperion_PS - Sep 2, 2023

20 by KeyboardBunny »»
Apr 14, 8:04 AM

» 'Kijin Gentoushou' Reveals Main Cast, Staff, Teaser Promo, Summer 2024 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Feb 22

6 by JackAward »»
Apr 13, 1:07 PM

» Voice Actress Mutsumi Tamura Announces Marriage

Hyperion_PS - Apr 1

15 by CrackedYolk »»
Apr 12, 10:50 PM

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/10]

Snow - Apr 5

23 by infanf »»
Apr 12, 2:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.