Forum Settings
Forums

The cuter the media the more toxic the fandom is

New
Mar 8, 2021 6:40 AM
Dec 2017
So we all know about shonen fans and their history of toxicity from the mha,fma and aot fandoms to the obsession of keeping their scores the highest of the high on ranking sites like here.

Well on the flip side i don't notice anybody really talking about this topic. Cute media stuff like pre-cure,sailor moon,steven universe,pokemon,animal crossing,super smash fans to an extent and also sainro fans as well too.

I can give a shit ton of examples but none will really ever fully cover the depth of how truly toxic cute media fans really are so i'll just give a sample of the iceberg.

-Steven Universe fans bullying a fan artist to nearly comitting suicide.
-Animal Crossing and the whole spacebuns incidient
-My Little Pony Fans being child molestors and toxic shippers
-Pokemon fans being the mindless fanatics supporting everything nintendo does and also the whole #thankyougamefreak nonsense
-Sailor Moon fans going after me and my asociates and friends on social media for having "certain polticial views" so to speak lets just leave it at that.

I also noticed this as well too that these toxic fans base their knowedlge of the media they so call claim to enjoy from youtube videos and fandom wiki articles instead of really in-depth playing it for themselves so truth be told they aren't really fans at all in teh first place but just toxic leeches wanting making people as miserable as they are themselves. This mainly happens when stuff gets cool or popular like Neo TWEWY where all of the sudden these so called "lifelong" fans just randomly appear out of the wood works.

I see these people lurking alot on tumblr and especially on twitter but if this kind of shit was on minds we would have handled these people right there and then.

So what do you guys think do you seriosuly think cute media fandoms are as wholesome as they appear on the surface?
Disapeared_GhostMar 8, 2021 6:44 AM

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 8, 2021 6:43 AM

Oct 2017
Trollsome Wholesome gang rise up!!

Bur in all seriousness its always a minority of fans taht are toxic assholes in msot communities.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Mar 8, 2021 6:45 AM
Dec 2017
LSSJ_Gaming said:
Trollsome Wholesome gang rise up!!

^w^

KAWAII SO DESU NO!!! PINKSIES FOR EVERYONE!

Mar 8, 2021 7:04 AM

Jun 2020
smash isnt cute, but it sure is toxic

I've heard a quote somewhere before, "k-on fan's are either the most chill people you'll ever meet or the most toxic and there's no in between"
Mar 8, 2021 7:06 AM

Sep 2020
Tonikaku Kawai doesn't have a toxic fan base
If I could correct you then I would say that, the more popular an anime is, the more toxic its fan base is.
I am a useless student of society.
Tests are my body and Grades are my blood.
I have done over a thousand assignments.
Unseen by teachers,
nor done properly.
Yet, those hands shall never hold an outstanding grade.
So, as I pray...
Unlimited Homeworks.
Mar 8, 2021 7:06 AM
Dec 2017
01Wind10 said:

I've heard a quote somewhere before, "k-on fan's are either the most chill people you'll ever meet or the most toxic and there's no in between"
01Wind10 said:

I think i heard that quote somewhere as well too.

Mar 8, 2021 7:07 AM
Dec 2017
l--_--l said:
If I could correct you then I would say that, the more popular an anime is, the more toxic its fan base is.

Lesser known media fandoms in my expierince tend to be pretty chill for me.

Mar 8, 2021 7:09 AM

Sep 2020
Crow_Black said:
l--_--l said:

You just said the same thing, that i did
Unseen by teachers,
nor done properly.
So, as I pray...
Unlimited Homeworks.
Mar 8, 2021 7:09 AM
Dec 2017
dertasso said:
I actually agree and ill do my best to try to explain it.

The main thing is that cute media portrays itself in a very idealized and unrealistic way. Fans both instinctively tend to act like the media, and also the media attracts fans who think similar to the media. So in the end you get fans who think very idealized.

This might seem all nice and dandy at first, but unfortunately acting online, or even more irl means seeing things from another point of view, doing compromises, and not doing what you like all the time. I mean its real people after all. People who dont give a shit about that just happen to appear toxic to others. This is not exclusive to moe. Other fandoms around idealized media suffers from this as well (Star Wars).

I'm not saying avery moe fan is toxic, you can just find kind of a corellation there.

TLDR: Yes they are toxic becasue they dont have a grasp on reality.
dertasso said:
I actually agree and ill do my best to try to explain it.

The main thing is that cute media portrays itself in a very idealized and unrealistic way. Fans both instinctively tend to act like the media, and also the media attracts fans who think similar to the media. So in the end you get fans who think very idealized.

This might seem all nice and dandy at first, but unfortunately acting online, or even more irl means seeing things from another point of view, doing compromises, and not doing what you like all the time. I mean its real people after all. People who dont give a shit about that just happen to appear toxic to others. This is not exclusive to moe. Other fandoms around idealized media suffers from this as well (Star Wars).

I'm not saying avery moe fan is toxic, you can just find kind of a corellation there.

TLDR: Yes they are toxic becasue they dont have a grasp on reality.

Yeah i see alot of people in the community not having a grasp on reality as well too.

Mar 8, 2021 7:11 AM
Dec 2017
l--_--l said:
Crow_Black said:

I'm just pointing out my own expireince opposite to you.

Mar 8, 2021 7:11 AM
Sep 2020
It's more of a situation like "Loud minority, quiet majority", the minority being the toxic fans and the majority being the non-toxic fans
Mar 8, 2021 7:13 AM
Dec 2017
HoloKill said:
It's more of a situation like "Loud minority, quiet majority", the minority being the toxic fans and the majority being the non-toxic fans

I dunno man i've seen majority of fans being extremely toxic in the ac fandom and the smash fandom.

Mar 8, 2021 7:14 AM

Sep 2020
Crow_Black said:
l--_--l said:

I said,"The more the popular an anime is, the more toxic its fandom is"
And you said,"Lesser known media fandoms in my experience tend to be pretty chill"
Aren't the two things that we said the same?
Unseen by teachers,
nor done properly.
So, as I pray...
Unlimited Homeworks.
Mar 8, 2021 7:15 AM
Dec 2017
l--_--l said:
Crow_Black said:

I said,"The more the popular an anime is, the more toxic its fandom is"
And you said,"Lesser known media fandoms in my experience tend to be pretty chill"
Aren't the two things that we said the same?

Techincally no as even lesser known media can still have a really toxic fandom as well too and a popular media can have a pretty good fandom like edgy stuff for example.

Mar 8, 2021 7:19 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I've met some toxic fans of more mainstream moe like K-On!, but dedicated CGDCT/Slice of Life clubs on this site like the big dead titled one right below H&E in the rankings or Comfy Camp seem very...nothing.

Like, it doesn't seem toxic or combative, but conversation and interaction seems empty and uninteresting, like there's a bunch of weird unspoken rules about being anything other than incredibly passive towards anything and everything around them.

Mar 8, 2021 7:20 AM

May 2014
More like the bigger the media is the more toxic the fanbase is, that's just how things work.
Mar 8, 2021 7:20 AM
Dec 2017
Manaban said:
I've met some toxic fans of more mainstream moe like K-On!, but dedicated CGDCT/Slice of Life clubs on this site like the big dead one right below H&E in the rankings or Comfy Camp seem very...nothing.

Like, it doesn't seem toxic or combative, but conversation and interaction seems empty and uninteresting, like there's a bunch of weird unspoken rules about being anything other than incredibly passive towards anything and everything around them.

So in a sense its kind of like one sided apathetic conversations am i correct?

Mar 8, 2021 7:22 AM

Mar 2018
Ericonator said:
More like the bigger the media is the more toxic the fanbase is, that's just how things work.
Exactly the media has nothing to do with it tbh
DaokoscakeMar 8, 2021 11:00 AM

Aug 2020
Well your not really wrong to be honest
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Crow_Black said:
Manaban said:
I've met some toxic fans of more mainstream moe like K-On!, but dedicated CGDCT/Slice of Life clubs on this site like the big dead one right below H&E in the rankings or Comfy Camp seem very...nothing.

I mean, if you wanna meet who I consider the archetypal Slice of Life/CGDCT/Moe fan, then look no further, he showed up!

Ericonator said:

ily eric don't hate me owo

But yeah like, look at this dude, I guess. We're both in a private discord server together and I make it a point to regularly post and say weird shit to him just to see his non-reaction. And I think that kind of extreme passivity seems to be the like, norm in those fandoms, from my experiences lurking in them for club politics reasons.

Mar 8, 2021 7:23 AM
Dec 2017
LCLicepops said:

you must have seen some fans like that in your time then.

Mar 8, 2021 7:28 AM

Aug 2020
Crow_Black said:
LCLicepops said:

yep, especially with K-ON fans quite a few of them can be toxic.
Mar 8, 2021 7:29 AM
Dec 2017
LCLicepops said:
Crow_Black said:

yep, especially with K-ON fans quite a few of them can be toxic.

K-On fans from what i am seeing do tend to be really toxic it seems.

Mar 8, 2021 7:31 AM
Dec 2017
Manaban said:
Crow_Black said:

I mean, if you wanna meet who I consider the archetypal Slice of Life/CGDCT/Moe fan, then look no further, he showed up!

Ericonator said:

But yeah like, look at this dude, I guess. We're both in a private discord server together and I make it a point to regularly post and say weird shit to him just to see his non-reaction. And I think that kind of extreme passivity seems to be the like, norm in those fandoms, from my experiences lurking in them for club politics reasons.

So you can say the most messed up thing possible and they would be indifferent to it?

Mar 8, 2021 7:37 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Crow_Black said:

So you can say the most messed up thing possible and they would be indifferent to it?

Iunno, I think me and Eric have a special dynamic at this point to where I can share weird goat doujins with him or offer to suck his cock and he pretty much expects that and rolls with it. I doubt I could walk into a general SoL club and do that, lol.

But...yeahhhhh, iunno how much that extreme combatativeness you're describing applies to Slice of Life fans/Moe fans since my experiences with them has been largely that they are very, very passive for the most part. I've seen some toxic K-On! fans, but outside of that it seems to be unbearably passive

I think the type of toxicity you're describing is less about how cute the content is and more about breadth of fandom - Animal Crossing, Pokemon, et cetera - or about a show being very sociopolitical thematically, i.e. Steven Universe, both of which lead to attracting certain types of discourse that can very easily lead into toxic and hostile reactions from either side of the conversations, whereas in situations like relatively niche anime genre fandoms, that element inviting toxicity wouldn't be as present.

I just think of the Moe fandom as the Ecchi fandom's mentally disabled, heavily inbred cousin.

Mar 8, 2021 7:38 AM
Aug 2020
Don't forget there are a lot of Nazis who watch moe anime like Love Live and K-On
Mar 8, 2021 7:45 AM
May 2019
Shounen, Shoujo doesn't matter the more popular something is the more toxic it's fanbase is.
Mar 8, 2021 7:48 AM

May 2014
Manaban said:
Crow_Black said:

Ericonator said:

Passiveness is the path of least annoyance which is why it's the best path. And I know that's why you do it so I'm not gonna force a reaction over something so little :<
Mar 8, 2021 7:49 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Ericonator said:
Passiveness is the path of least annoyance which is why it's the best path. And I know that's why you do it so I'm not gonna force a reaction over something so little :<

I mean yeah sure, but I still will suck your cock if you ever wanna put down some money for the service

Mar 8, 2021 7:51 AM

May 2014
Manaban said:
Ericonator said:

I mean, I still will suck your cock if you ever wanna put down some money for the service
Let me get some money first quickly then
Mar 8, 2021 7:53 AM

Feb 2014
I think this is a confused generalization. It's not that the show is cuter so it has a more toxic fanbase, it's that it's popular so there are more people and a higher likelihood for there to be toxic fans. The larger a given population, the more types of people you will have and the more disagreements will subsequently follow.Toxicity only stems from disagreement.
Mar 8, 2021 7:53 AM

Dec 2010
I think that you need to focus your thread a bit more, your claims are generalised at best and vague at worst. For example:

Super Smash isn't "cute". Is any franchise with a few cute characters considered "cute"?

Pokemon fans are far from being an united front defending every decision of Nintendo/GameFreak, "Pokemon designs suck ever since Gen X" or "No good game after Gen X" to name a few. Even the whole #thankyougamefreak stuff wouldn't be a thing if there wasn't a huge negative reception of the S&S games.

A few people already mentioned it, but with larger communities there's simply a higher probability of toxic fans, right?
Mar 8, 2021 8:08 AM

Oct 2017
The most toxic fanbases tend to be very mainstream action shonen. When you compare that to the CGDCT fandoms of shows like Yuru Camp, Girls Last Tour, Girls Und Panzer etc those fanbases are incredibly tame and some of the better anime fanbases I have seen.

You also bring up a lot of fandoms that have no relation to the anime fandom such as Animal Crossing, MLP and Steven's Universe. Tons of fans of these franchises don't watch or engage in anime/manga so I don't see how that is relevant? The Pokemon stuff has more to do with game mechanics not anything to do with necessarily the story or designs or the anime. Any game fandom with an unhappy fanbase is going to be toxic. When you consider the anime fanbase a lot of shows that sell on "cuteness" I rarely see toxicity. I guess sure some fujos are into battle shonen because of cute guys but on the flip side they are still usually a small part of the fandom and most of toxicity in the battle shonen fandom isn't caused directly by their interests these days.

Regardless in large you will find "toxicity" anywhere on the internet but trying to imply there is some link between "cute" media I really don't see it. It's just more evidence for popular fandoms always end up in drama if anything.
BilboBaggins365Mar 8, 2021 8:12 AM
Mar 8, 2021 8:18 AM

Feb 2020
Since when toxic fandom started being identified by genre or tags associated with media?
toxic are toxic irrespective of the content of the media.

Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Mar 8, 2021 8:19 AM

Jan 2021
i remember from a while back on 4chan you could not chat any shit about nichijou or you would face certain death. (i liked the show myself but christ some people went to extremes).
"不幸だ!" - Kamijou Touma
Check out my anime list by clicking here (it's public now).

Mar 8, 2021 8:29 AM
Dec 2017
Don't forget there are a lot of Nazis who watch moe anime like Love Live and K-On

Just because someone is an anime fan does not equate them to being a nazi at all good fucking lord this is alex level thread derailing.

Mar 8, 2021 8:35 AM

Sep 2008
"well that's stupid. NOW WAIT A SEC" hit the nail on the head. holy shit, you're good at this.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Mar 8, 2021 8:44 AM
Aug 2020
Crow_Black said:

Just because someone is an anime fan does not equate them to being a nazi at all good fucking lord this is alex level thread derailing.

At what point did I say "all anime fans are Nazis"? None. There was no such point. Stop making shit up. Plus, I am a big K-On fan, but seeing a lot of Nazis using avatars of K-On characters makes me sick.
Mar 8, 2021 8:45 AM

Oct 2018
It think it is mainly because there is more clout in shitting on the toxic shounen fandoms rather than the ones for more cute shows and games. For example if I were to make a thread about the toxicity of the AOT fandom than it would get hundreds of replys. However if I did one for the toxicity in the Sailor Moon fandom literally no one would care because there toxicity isn't out in the open and Sailor Moon isn't as popular as AOT. This is just my take on this subject though.
Mar 8, 2021 8:45 AM
Dec 2017
MoonDragon72 said:
Crow_Black said:

At what point did I say "all anime fans are Nazis"? None. There was no such point. Stop making shit up. Plus, I am a big K-On fan, but seeing a lot of Nazis using avatars of K-On characters makes me sick.

Not everyone who disagrees with you politically is a terrible person you're just trying to derail the thread like what Alex does.

Mar 8, 2021 8:48 AM
Dec 2017
It think it is mainly because there is more clout in shitting on the toxic shounen fandoms rather than the ones for more cute shows and games. For example if I were to make a thread about the toxicity of the AOT fandom than it would get hundreds of replys. However if I did one for the toxicity in the Sailor Moon fandom literally no one would care because there toxicity isn't out in the open and Sailor Moon isn't as popular as AOT. This is just my take on this subject though.

One time me and a friend defended date a live from demon slayer fans and we were both called pedophiles for liking date a live and well i got locked on twitter for defending myself against demon slayer fans.

Mar 8, 2021 8:52 AM
Aug 2020
Crow_Black said:
MoonDragon72 said:

Not everyone who disagrees with you politically is a terrible person you're just trying to derail the thread like what Alex does.

I have seen actual Nazis that love moe anime. Just look at some posts on r/animecirclejerk. I tried to put some links here but they wouldn't work for some reason.
Mar 8, 2021 8:59 AM
Dec 2017
Crow_Black said:

I have seen actual Nazis that love moe anime. Just look at some posts on r/animecirclejerk. I tried to put some links here but they wouldn't work for some reason.

Since when did this became a talk about political disagreements like wow you're so obessed about politics its just really ruining your life i can tell.

Mar 8, 2021 9:09 AM

Oct 2010
first time I hear that sailor moon fans are toxic, I am sorry for your experience, you must have angered some crazy fans or you insulted them first in order to act like that.
Mar 8, 2021 9:12 AM
Aug 2020
Crow_Black said:

Since when did this became a talk about political disagreements like wow you're so obessed about politics its just really ruining your life i can tell.

This isn't about disagreements. There are ACTUAL Nazis that love these show. Again, go look for yourself. I hope these links work this time:

https://preview.redd.it/v0ljfyxfcrr51.jpg?auto=webp&s=5fc8faffc3c75319459793598215d667511fb190

https://i.redd.it/6k1zc52uu5g61.jpg

https://preview.redd.it/exhruq20ke161.png?auto=webp&s=0511a984705a28e13af3dd7523a18088074f9eab
Mar 8, 2021 9:18 AM

Jul 2019
Neo nazis in the US watching stuff like K-on is the funniest thing I've read all day.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Mar 8, 2021 12:56 PM
Dec 2017
MoonDragon72 said:
Crow_Black said:

This isn't about disagreements. There are ACTUAL Nazis that love these show. Again, go look for yourself. I hope these links work this time:

https://preview.redd.it/v0ljfyxfcrr51.jpg?auto=webp&s=5fc8faffc3c75319459793598215d667511fb190

https://preview.redd.it/exhruq20ke161.png?auto=webp&s=0511a984705a28e13af3dd7523a18088074f9eab

imagine trying to dreail a thread all just to push a political agenda could never be me.

Mar 8, 2021 12:56 PM
Dec 2017
MoonDragon72 said:
Crow_Black said:

imagine trying to dreail a thread all just to push a political agenda could never be me.

Mar 8, 2021 1:00 PM
Dec 2017
Neo nazis in the US watching stuff like K-on is the funniest thing I've read all day.

last thing i'd expect but not suprised at all knowing this place.

Mar 8, 2021 1:01 PM
Dec 2017
Manaban said:
Ericonator said:

I mean yeah sure, but I still will suck your cock if you ever wanna put down some money for the service

So this is the kind of stuff you talk about i see saying random messed up stuff and nothing much really does happen.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 52 minutes ago

5 by tchitchouan »»
13 seconds ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

85 by ColourWheel »»
2 minutes ago

» What's the last bad anime you've watched? ( 1 2 )

MechaFanBoy1979 - Mar 17

82 by ScarRufus »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

89 by Israel_Is_Evil »»
4 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 3 hours ago

21 by LostSpectre »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.