Forum Settings
Forums

Horror Manga 'Ajin' Ends Nine-Year Serialization

New
Feb 5, 2021 12:20 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Gamon Sakurai's Ajin (Ajin: Demi-Human) manga ended its nine-year run in the March issue of good! Afternoon on Friday.

Sakurai originally launched the horror action manga with Tsuina Miura in good! Afternoon in July 2012. Following chapter five, Miura withdrew from the series and Sakurai became its sole creator. Kodansha published the 16th volume last May (pictured), with the 17th and final volume planned for a May 7 release.

Polygon Pictures adapted the manga into a 2015–2016 anime film trilogy alongside two television anime in Winter and Fall 2016. The eighth, ninth, and tenth manga volumes each included an original video anime (OVA).

Vertical licensed the manga in English in February 2014 and published the 15th volume on August 11, with the 16th volume planned to go on sale on February 23. Crunchyroll began simulpublishing the series in March 2014. The manga has also been published in multiple foreign languages, including Spanish, German, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, Italian, and Russian.

Sentai Filmworks licensed the anime series in North America and released the film trilogy and television anime on home video in May and December 2017, and the OVAs on December 1 last year. Netflix began streaming the two seasons outside of Japan in April and December 2016, respectively.

A live-action film adaptation opened in Japan in September 2017, grossing over 1.44 billion yen (approximately US$13.6 million). Katsuyuki Motohiro (Psycho-Pass, FLCL Progressive) directed the film, starring Takeru Satou (Rurouni Kenshin, Kamen Rider Den-O).

Ajin placed third in the 2014 Kono Manga ga Sugoi! rankings among the male readers and was nominated for the 7th Manga Taisho, 40th Kodansha Manga awards, and 18th Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize. The film trilogy ranked among the top ten films in the 2016 Newtype Anime Awards.

Synopsis
Seventeen years ago, mysterious immortal soldiers known as "divine warriors" appeared on the battlefields of Africa. These life forms later became known as "Ajin," or demi-humans, and were considered to be one of the greatest discoveries of mankind. The government declared their existence to be compatible with humans; however, it is rumored that they instead offer bounties for captured Ajin to secretly perform inhumane experiments on these rare beings.

Kei Nagai, an apathetic high school student, is studying to become a doctor and only wishes to live a normal life. However, this simple dream is shattered after he suddenly gets into a deadly traffic accident. Reviving at the scene, he is immediately labeled as an Ajin by bounty-hungry witnesses. Unable to understand his immortality or prove his innocence, he starts to live his life on the run and fights for survival. He barely escapes the government's reach when a group of anarchistic Ajin contacts Kei, asking him to join their forces to retaliate against the government. But who is Kei's real enemy, and which side will he take when it comes down to humans versus Ajin? [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Manga official page: https://afternoon.kodansha.co.jp/c/ajin.html
Official anime site: http://www.ajin.net/
Official anime Twitter: @anime_ajin

Source: Comic Natalie
VindstotFeb 5, 2021 11:56 PM

Feb 5, 2021 1:03 AM

Oct 2017
Sayonara~ to another manga.
Feb 5, 2021 1:14 AM

Nov 2019
Was the ending good?
If it was i will start reading the manga from the beginning, i loved the anime
Feb 5, 2021 2:05 AM

Nov 2020
Cool, I would love to see a new Ajin season
Feb 5, 2021 2:17 AM

Nov 2011
Sigh, there goes one of my favorites again :(

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Feb 5, 2021 2:18 AM

Feb 2015
Supercuecaaa said:
Was the ending good?

Way better than the anime, S2 didn't follow the manga.

Feb 5, 2021 2:24 AM

Oct 2008
Whelp, time to read!
Feb 5, 2021 2:31 AM

Nov 2019
SteelingMax said:
Supercuecaaa said:
Was the ending good?

Well, i know that but i still enjoyed the anime (much better than tokyo ghoul root a)
I just want to know if the ending was good or not, i dont want to waste my time if it was bad
Feb 5, 2021 5:45 AM
Jul 2018
I loved anime adaptations. I want next season but may be difficult.
Feb 5, 2021 6:11 AM

Sep 2011
I heard the anime went off the rails with the story, but as someone who never read the manga I enjoyed the anime quite a bit. Hopefully the manga ending means there's a slight chance for another season, though that's probably pretty unlikely.

"They escaped the weight of darkness,
to forge a path into the marrow of the spirit.
They chose to drown in a deeper vacancy,
an emptiness that quells the null,
a pool for the forgotten..."
Feb 5, 2021 6:26 AM
Jul 2018
It was a great series hopefully its gets a proper adaptation with even better cgi

Feb 5, 2021 7:21 AM

Nov 2008
SteelingMax said:
Supercuecaaa said:
Was the ending good?

Didn't know that. Glad to hear it though - i found season 2 to be significantly worse than the first one.
AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
Feb 5, 2021 9:22 AM

Dec 2016
it's already been nine years, huh?
Feb 5, 2021 10:13 AM

Jan 2017
Satou-san ~ The greatest most bad-ass middle aged villain I have ever seen!!
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Feb 5, 2021 12:48 PM

Nov 2019
Do Kei & Kaito get their happily ever after..?
Feb 5, 2021 3:04 PM

Oct 2019
Man, I’d better pick it back up soon. RIP Ajin, you will be missed.
Feb 5, 2021 4:14 PM

Dec 2017
9 years!! To think that I got to follow it from almost the beginning. I'll wait till the last volume gets published in my country. But my gratitude to the creator/s, it is a very good manga and I bet the ending is good too.
Feb 5, 2021 7:27 PM

Feb 2015
Etsuko28 said:
9 years!! To think that I got to follow it from almost the beginning. I'll wait till the last volume gets published in my country. But my gratitude to the creator/s, it is a very good manga and I bet the ending is good too.
It seems like the other guy didn't really do anything, because his name is only on Vol.1, maybe he did some of the initial concept and characters, and i can't see that, because his manga(Tenkuu Shinpan) is fucking awful.

Feb 5, 2021 7:41 PM

Jul 2015
That was a great run, the art of this manga is amazing and Satou is one of my favorite antagonists ever, dude makes anything he does a blast to witness, I will miss this work.
Feb 5, 2021 7:41 PM

Jul 2009
SteelingMax said:
Etsuko28 said:
It seems like the other guy didn't really do anything, because his name is only on Vol.1, maybe he did some of the initial concept and characters, and i can't see that, because his manga(Tenkuu Shinpan) is fucking awful.

As far as I remember they were initially the writer with Sakurai only being the illustrator. Sakurai eventually took over writing too and continued the project on his own.
Feb 5, 2021 7:44 PM

Mar 2018
Great! I waiting for the finale. The manga page needs an update.
Feb 5, 2021 9:11 PM

Oct 2017
Woah, 9 years... I remember reading it back in 2014 up until 2017, when I withdrew from reading manga for a while. I've been thinking of picking it up again and it seems like now its the best time, haha. Can't wait to see what future projects the author brings after such a good manga like Ajin!
Feb 6, 2021 1:04 AM
Jul 2018
this_shit_again said:
Do Kei & Kaito get their happily ever after..?

They won't disappoint you just finish it
Feb 6, 2021 1:27 AM
Apr 2016
AcbSnakeDemon said:
Man, I’d better pick it back up soon. RIP Ajin, you will be missed.
I don't think they could even rest in peace, since they are immortal
Feb 6, 2021 6:38 AM

Jun 2020
Even with the that cgi I really liked the anime, the story is really good!!!!!

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Feb 6, 2021 12:23 PM

Aug 2016
One of my first manga reads back in 2015 and was blown away by the story. So it really has a place in my heart. Can't wait to revisit and binge read once it's officially complete.
Feb 6, 2021 2:13 PM

Feb 2015
kuroicho said:
SteelingMax said:

As far as I remember they were initially the writer with Sakurai only being the illustrator. Sakurai eventually took over writing too and continued the project on his own.

That doesn't really make much sense, could you imagine the writer leaving the project out of nowhere and the artist filling their shoes like that? There was also no change in tone or writing style, my previous comment is probably closer to the truth, at most maybe Gamon Sakurai was also the co-writer, then became the sole writer when Tsuina Miura left.
Also Tenkuu Shinpan, again, awful.
SteelingMaxFeb 6, 2021 2:18 PM

Feb 7, 2021 6:56 AM
Apr 2016
SteelingMax said:
kuroicho said:

That doesn't really make much sense, could you imagine the writer leaving the project out of nowhere and the artist filling their shoes like that? There was also no change in tone or writing style, my previous comment is probably closer to the truth, at most maybe Gamon Sakurai was also the co-writer, then became the sole writer when Tsuina Miura left.
Also Tenkuu Shinpan, again, awful.

Nah, beside the concept of IBM fighting Sakurai was only in charged of illustration in the first volume. Sakurai explained the whole situation on his twitter and google translate is there for you to understand the details.
https://twitter.com/ggggggggggero/status/913002403904987136?s=20
Feb 7, 2021 9:52 PM

Feb 2015
JAGuys said:
Nah, beside the concept of IBM fighting Sakurai was only in charged of illustration in the first volume. Sakurai explained the whole situation on his twitter and google translate is there for you to understand the details.

Interesting read, also kind of weird how the publisher could just take away a book from the person who created it, and just put it in the hands of a work for hire illustrator with no prior writing experience, did the editor maybe had some problems with the story or a personal problem with Miura or something.
Sakurai also had to come up with the story without knowing where it was going with the previous writer, can't wait for his next project after Ajin, it could even be a weekly series now that he has more experience, monthlies are usually hard to hold me for long, they're too slow and the updates are too far spaced, even Ajin and AoT, sometimes i would just forget about them and then read 3 chapters in a row, not the best way to consume the story, weekly is more like clockwork.
Now with SJ+, mangaka like the author or Kaijuu #8 has a way better deal schedule wise, with a break every 3 chapters with weekly releases, making it a more viable option.
SteelingMaxFeb 7, 2021 9:56 PM

Feb 8, 2021 2:21 AM

Jan 2014
JAGuys said:

For those who can't access it, here's the Twitter thread:

原作者と作画担当がってどれくらいの配分で漫画を作ってるのか
という事が気になる人っていうのは案外多いんだなあと
感じる出来事が先月ありました。
バクマン。の影響とかもあるんですかね。
↓つづく

これは多分作品によって全然違うと思うんですが
亜人でいうと0~5話まで原作者さんがいたわけですが
この段階での私の役割はほぼ作画のみです
原作者のラフなネームをカッチリしたネームにして作画していくわけです
(バクマン。のオマケページに載ってるようなやつですね)
編集者さんや原作者さんに「ここどうにかならない?」みたいな事を言われない限り特にただ絵を描く人です。↓

(だからこの時点では原作者さんにはお会いしたことはないんですよね。
ネームを貰ってそれを描くだけだから、お互い会わなくても別にいいですよねーって感じでしたね。
実際お会いしたのは亜人を降りられてから、全然関係ない場所で偶然会ってご挨拶した一回だけ。↓

よく喧嘩別れだなんだって勘ぐられるんですが、喧嘩するタイミング自体ないんですよ。
もっと言うと、三浦さんが降りる決断に至った理由は私もよく知りません。
私はいい加減な人間なので特に聞いたりしてないんですよね。↓

作家だって人間です、きっと当時やむにやまれぬ事情があったんじゃないですかね。
お会いした時に「こんな事になってしまって申し訳ない」とおっしゃってたました
すごく誠実そうな方でしたよ)
話を戻します
で私が0~5話の内容にノータッチかと言うとそうでもなくて
例えばIBM同士の戦いのルールを作ったのは私です
三浦さんのネームの段階だと明確なルールがなかったので
IBMの特性だのなんだのは提案させて貰った↓

で、5話より後の話はどうかと言うと
これは本当に白紙の状態。
当初決まってたのは「最初逃走系で、どんどん戦いになってく」みたいな事のみだったので。↓

三浦さんは「後先考えずにとにかくどんどんいろんな事を起こす」という話作りに長けてる人だと思いました。凄いことに連載中にコロコロ設定が変わったりもする。だからエキサイティングな話になる。そこが三浦さんの話作りの最大の魅力なんですよね。↓

ただこれは三浦さんだからこそできる作り方で、
私にはそう言う話作りの仕方はできません。↓

降りると聞かされ、原作まで私が担当すると急遽決まった6話の時点で
これからの全ての流れを大まかに考える必要があったわけです。
それまでの伏線の答えや、亜人やIBMは何なのかとか細かい設定とか、キャラクターはどんな人間でどんな過去があるのかとかもその時に考えたわけですね。↓

(だから2巻以降単行本に三浦さんの名前がないわけですね。
三浦さん自体「自分は書いてないんだから載せなくてかまいませんよー」って潔い人らしいです)↓

亜人においての原作者と作画担当の配分というのはこんな感じなんですよね。
作品によっても全然違うと思いますが
あと、亜人のこういった原作者が変わるだのの流れは漫画業界において特に珍しいことではないと思いますね。↓

さて、原作者と作画担当の配分を細かく説明するとこんな長文になってしまうんですね。
だから誰が描いてるかとか気にせずに漫画を楽しむのが得策だと思いますよ。

Last month, I felt that there were unexpectedly many people who were wondering how much distribution the original author and the person in charge of drawing were making manga.
Bakuman. Is it also the influence of?
↓ to be continued

I think this is completely different depending on the work, but in the case of Ajin, there were original authors from episodes 0 to 5, but my role at this stage is almost only drawing. A name that is a rough name of the original author. And draw
(Bakuman. It's like the one on the bonus page)
Unless the editor or the original author asks something like "What can I do here?", He is just a painter.↓

(So at this point, I haven't met the original author.
I just got a name and drew it, so I didn't have to meet each other.
Actually, I met him only once after I got off the Ajin, and I happened to meet and say hello in a place that had nothing to do with it.↓

I often think that it's a quarrel farewell, but there is no timing to quarrel.
In other words, I don't know why Miura-san decided to get off.
I'm a sloppy person, so I haven't heard anything in particular.↓

The writer is also a human being, so I'm sure there were unavoidable circumstances at that time.
When I met him, he said, "I'm sorry for this happening." He seemed to be very sincere.)
Returning to the story, if I say no touch to the contents of episodes 0 to 5, for example, it was me who made the rules for the battle between IBM. There was no clear rule at the stage of Mr. Miura's name. So
I suggested that it is a characteristic of IBM.↓

So, what about the stories after the 5th episode? This is really a blank slate.
At first, the only thing that was decided was something like "It's an escape system at first, and it's going to be more and more fighting."↓

I think Mr. Miura is a person who is good at making stories that "make more and more things happen without thinking ahead". Amazingly, the setting may change during the serialization. So it's an exciting story. That is the biggest attraction of Mr. Miura's story making.↓

However, this is a method that only Miura can make.
I can't make a story like that.↓

I was told that I would get off, and at the time of the 6th episode, when I was in charge of the original work, I had to think roughly about the whole flow from now on.
At that time, I thought about the foreshadowing answers up to that point, what Ajin and IBM were, detailed settings, what kind of person the character was, and what kind of past it had.↓

(That's why there is no Miura-san's name in the books after Volume 2.
Mr. Miura himself seems to be a clean person saying "I haven't written it, so I don't have to post it.")↓

The distribution of the original author and the person in charge of drawing in Ajin is like this.
I think it's completely different depending on the work, but I don't think it's unusual in the manga industry for Ajin to change the original authors.↓

By the way, if you explain in detail the distribution of the original author and the person in charge of drawing, it will be such a long sentence.
So I think it's a good idea to enjoy manga without worrying about who is drawing it.
Feb 9, 2021 9:27 AM
Sep 2015
Damn, I remember watching the adaption in 2016 and being fairly new to anime back then, and getting really excited that it had two seasons.

Sad to see it go, hopefully they adapt more now that it's finished, the CGI was pretty good that's why
Feb 13, 2021 9:11 AM

Aug 2010
Man, I remember starting the manga, but it's been so long that I should really consider starting from scratch.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

70 by dodoxdo97 »»
58 minutes ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 10 hours ago

3 by Maumuu »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
7 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.