Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Blue Period' Gets TV Anime Adaptation

New
Jan 18, 2021 8:23 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Publishing company Kodansha opened an official website for a television anime adaptation of Tsubasa Yamaguchi's Blue Period on Tuesday. The anime series will debut in 2021.

Synopsis
Second-year high school student Yataro Yaguchi is bored with his normal life. He studies well and plays around with his friends, but in truth, he does not enjoy either of those activities. Bound by norms, he secretly envies those who do things differently.

That is until he discovers the joy of drawing. When he sees a painting made by a member of the Art Club, Yataro becomes fascinated with the colors used in it. Later, in an art exercise, he tries to convey his language without words but instead through painting. After that experience, Yataro finds himself so invested in art that he decides that it is what he wants to do for a living. But there stand multiple obstacles in his way: his parents who are hesitant over his unique choices, his more experienced peers, and the study of a subject much deeper than he initially expected. [Source: MAL Rewrite]

Yamaguchi began drawing the school drama manga in Monthly Afternoon in June 2017. Kodansha published the eighth volume on September 23 last year, with the ninth volume scheduled for release on Thursday. Blue Period has a cumulative 1.8 million copies of its volumes in circulation.

Kodansha Comics licensed the manga in English in November 2019 and published the first volume the following October. The second volume shipped on January 5.

Blue Period placed among the top 20 manga in the male readers' division in the 2019, 2020, and 2021 Kono Manga ga Sugoi! rankings. The manga also won the 13th Manga Taisho and 44th Kodansha Manga Awards' General category, and was nominated for the 24th Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize in 2020.

Official site: https://blue-period.jp/
Official Twitter: @blueperiod_pr

Source: Comic Natalie

Blue Period on MAL
VindstotJan 19, 2021 9:55 PM

Jan 18, 2021 8:36 PM

Feb 2014
been keepin an eye on this for a while, tho I hoped Sen wa, Boku wo Egaku would get an adaptation :/

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Jan 18, 2021 8:41 PM

Apr 2020
oh so we're getting a painting anime, this might be nice to have.
Jan 18, 2021 8:42 PM

Mar 2018
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Blue Period is my favorite manga, don't get me wrong. But there's not enough out for it to have a proper adaptation!!!! I'm genuinely worried about how this'll go ;-;
Jan 18, 2021 8:53 PM

Mar 2015
beargolfer said:
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Blue Period is my favorite manga, don't get me wrong. But there's not enough out for it to have a proper adaptation!!!! I'm genuinely worried about how this'll go ;-;

I think theres plenty of stuff to adapt chapters are pretty long, I assume 1-2 chapters per chapter. Theres also the raws which are a good amount of chapters ahead of translated chapters (think around 40 chapters out by now)
Jan 18, 2021 8:55 PM
Feb 2014
Yes!!!!! This is one of the manga that i actually was hoping would get an anime because the subject interests me!!!! :D
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jan 18, 2021 8:59 PM

Mar 2018
AnimeWatcher69 said:

I think theres plenty of stuff to adapt chapters are pretty long, I assume 1-2 chapters per chapter. Theres also the raws which are a good amount of chapters ahead of translated chapters (think around 40 chapters out by now)

I'm sure it'll be fine, I've just never had a manga I love this much get adapted, so it's really worrying haha. Good to know there's 40~ chapters out, though. That's a little more comforting
Jan 18, 2021 9:03 PM

Aug 2010
Wonder which studio is going to adapt them, I really can't think of a suitable studio since this manga style is unique.

beargolfer said:

When I first heard about the rumors, that was my thought as well: is there even enough content? But if it's only 1 cour anime, I think it's enough, and the moment
can be a good cut off too.
Jan 18, 2021 9:05 PM
May 2020
Seems an interesting manga here, i'll give it a read soon...
Jan 18, 2021 9:09 PM

Mar 2018
Shirayukin said:

When I first heard about the rumors, that was my thought as well: is there even enough content? But if it's only 1 cour anime, I think it's enough, and the moment

Honestly yeah, that might be a really good spot to end it. Leaves it for a good cliffhanger, having folks get interested in what happens next and lead them to read the manga. Or set up for a season 2, or something!!

As for studio, I was half eyeing Lerche for it, but I don't know if they could really capture the scenes of anxiety? The staff's also gotta be just as important on it, of course.
Jan 18, 2021 9:48 PM

May 2009
I wasnt expecting this at all and I'm so excited!! I love the manga, but it seemed like a style that would never get an anime. Kinda makes me a bit more hopeful for a few other manga I love too.

Shirayukin said:
Wonder which studio is going to adapt them, I really can't think of a suitable studio since this manga style is unique.

beargolfer said:

Yeah, I also think that's where they're going to end it if they want to only do one cour for now. That's still more than enough material for one season and convince people to read the manga.
Jan 18, 2021 9:53 PM

May 2019
I usually just stick to anime but I’m tempted to read this now. The synopsis hits a lot of notes for me. I’m looking forward to this.

"𝘚𝘰 𝘸𝘦'𝘷𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘴𝘦𝘭𝘦𝘀𝘡𝘦π˜₯ π˜ͺ𝘯 𝘡𝘩π˜ͺ𝘴 𝘣𝘦𝘒𝘢𝘡π˜ͺ𝘧𝘢𝘭 𝘭𝘰𝘡𝘡𝘦𝘳𝘺
𝘞𝘦 𝘴𝘡𝘳𝘢𝘨𝘨𝘭𝘦π˜₯ 𝘴𝘰 𝘭𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘣𝘢𝘡 π˜ͺ𝘡 𝘦𝘯π˜₯𝘦π˜₯ 𝘴𝘰 𝘦𝘒𝘴𝘺
𝘐𝘡'𝘴 𝘴𝘡𝘒𝘳𝘡π˜ͺ𝘯𝘨 𝘡𝘰 𝘴𝘢𝘳𝘧𝘒𝘀𝘦, 𝘒𝘭𝘭
𝘨𝘰𝘭π˜₯𝘦𝘯 𝘒𝘯π˜₯ 𝘨𝘰π˜₯𝘭π˜ͺ𝘬𝘦
π˜›π˜©π˜ͺ𝘴 𝘧𝘦𝘦𝘭π˜ͺ𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘦 𝘩𝘒π˜₯ 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 π˜₯𝘒𝘺 𝘒𝘯π˜₯ 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘯π˜ͺ𝘨𝘩𝘡
𝘐𝘡 𝘣𝘢𝘳𝘴𝘡𝘴 π˜ͺ𝘯 𝘒𝘯
𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘳𝘨𝘺, 𝘒 π˜₯𝘰𝘰𝘳 π˜ͺ𝘡 π˜ͺ𝘴 𝘰𝘱𝘦𝘯π˜ͺ𝘯𝘨"

✭
Jan 18, 2021 10:27 PM

Nov 2018
yoasobi definitely need to sing the OP.
Jan 18, 2021 10:57 PM

Oct 2017
Good to have official confirmation.
sogegesoge said:
yoasobi definitely need to sing the OP.
Was thinking the same.
Jan 18, 2021 11:42 PM
Jul 2018
Very good news. I'm already excited!
Jan 19, 2021 12:01 AM
Mar 2017
Bruh, this manga helped get into the uni i wanted to get into lets gooooooooooo
Jan 19, 2021 12:34 AM

Mar 2017
Glad to see this one getting an adaptation!!! Love the manga so much. But i still wonder how they're going to "adapt" the paintings in the manga to the anime version. All in all, i'm very excited.
Jan 19, 2021 1:00 AM
ε­”ηœŸγƒ»γ‚³γ‚¦γƒžγ‚³γƒˆ

Jun 2017
Definitely interested! If I'm not wrong, I wished for an adaption of this previously as well so it's finally come true.

Here's to hoping for a good team working behind the scenes on this.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 19, 2021 1:01 AM

Feb 2017
Fantastic news! Hopefully the staff and the studio are just as fantastic as this manga. It absolutely deserves top tier adaptation.

beargolfer said:

There is no need to worry. There are around 40 chapters out. Plus chapters themselves are all quite long and dense. I think it can comfortably go around ~1 chapter per episode and finish it at chapter 25, which is a great stopping point for a season, in 22-25 episodes.
Jan 19, 2021 1:18 AM
Dec 2013
The manga is currently in the Top 100 on MAL. Definitely looking forward to this.
Jan 19, 2021 3:40 AM

Oct 2010
heard good things about it and I saw some random manga pages, it looks good and the mc is interesting so to say
Jan 19, 2021 4:08 AM

May 2020
OMG! I'm really happy that this will get an anime adaptation, I've been enjoying the manga a lot. I can't wait to see all the paintings in an anime form!
Jan 19, 2021 4:12 AM

Sep 2013
Hm, I'll check the manga then.
Jan 19, 2021 4:33 AM

Feb 2017

Noticed that the link to the website is wrong. Should be https://blue-period.jp/.
Jan 19, 2021 4:46 AM

Apr 2012
Is this an adaptation of that shonen hobby manga that was awarded best shonen last year? I've heard a lot about this. Intriguing news, note. I've always loved shonen, but hobby shonen always has a special place in my heart.

"Kodansha Comics licensed the manga in English in November 2019 and published the first volume the following October. The second volume shipped on January 5." - It's unusual to live at a time when every second slash or femslash one-volume book or anthology is instantly licensed, but over-hyped shonen, even in the USA, where people are literally obsessed with shonens, takes several years for that.
Jan 19, 2021 5:27 AM

Jul 2019
not even up to date lol. going to read to its current chapter. this is really good too. hoping for some great visuals.
Jan 19, 2021 6:15 AM

Jun 2020
As an art student back then this really interests me, looking forward to it!

κ•€ but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing
κ•€

Jan 19, 2021 6:19 AM
η©‚δΉƒζžœγ―η₯ž

Oct 2015
Women, if your blood is blue, chances are something is wrong, or you're an alien. Consult your parents about it, just in case they've been hiding a deep dark secret of you being from the film Avatar all this time.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 19, 2021 6:25 AM

Mar 2015
beargolfer said:
it has 10 volume worth of content to adapt. it has more than enough to have 2 cour adaptation which normally around 6-8 volume.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 19, 2021 6:42 AM

Aug 2018
Been keeping my eye on the manga for a while so this is cool
_______I like rocks__
Jan 19, 2021 6:42 AM
Jul 2018
Really Cool. Had seen this coming and but I have been thinking for long time which studio will be able to handle this? I really hope the adaptation will live upto the manga. The story and characters are too good.
Jan 19, 2021 7:23 AM
Feb 2018
RobertBobert said:
Is this an adaptation of that shonen hobby manga that was awarded best shonen last year? I've heard a lot about this. Intriguing news, note. I've always loved shonen, but hobby shonen always has a special place in my heart.

"Kodansha Comics licensed the manga in English in November 2019 and published the first volume the following October. The second volume shipped on January 5." - It's unusual to live at a time when every second slash or femslash one-volume book or anthology is instantly licensed, but over-hyped shonen, even in the USA, where people are literally obsessed with shonens, takes several years for that.

it is published in a Seinen magazine... the prizes he won were the Manga Taisho Award (covering all demographics) and the Kodansha manga awards in the general category
Jan 19, 2021 9:15 AM

Mar 2018
RobertBobert said:

???? It’s not a shounen, my dude. Idk where you got any of that, it’s a drama abt a kid who falls in love with art, and a lot of the tension comes from his works being compared to others, as well as not knowing how to further his work.
Jan 19, 2021 9:29 AM
Mar 2019
Yeaaahhhh, I love this manga! I am glad it will be an anime!
Jan 19, 2021 10:43 AM
Aug 2011
great news indeed
Jan 19, 2021 10:51 AM

Jul 2013
hell yes!! one of my favorite manga!
It's really relatable with artist struggles and i love the different paintings depicted and the different art techniques... I'm super curious about how they'll look in the anime, I hope it is adapted well.

The main character is quite likeable and relatable as someone who starts off not knowing much about art
I think the anime will probably cover

can't wait T_T
Jan 19, 2021 10:57 AM
May 2016
been putting this one off for a while, definitely will watch
Jan 19, 2021 11:11 AM

Dec 2016
Interesting. Really relatable too since I also studied art and now don't know what to do in this world which is more interested in digital art.

All these type of mangas are getting anime adaptation, I wonder when Ao no Flag will get an anime adaptation too...
Jan 19, 2021 12:13 PM
Mar 2019
Rickydory123 said:
Interesting. Really relatable too since I also studied art and now don't know what to do in this world which is more interested in digital art.

All these type of mangas are getting anime adaptation, I wonder when Ao no Flag will get an anime adaptation too...

Yeah, me too. But in same time I would like Ao no Flag get an anime, I will not stand the prejudice coments about, and more about the end.
Jan 19, 2021 3:33 PM

Sep 2011
Premise sounds interesting, and from what I gather the manga is good, so I'll give this a go.

"They escaped the weight of darkness,
to forge a path into the marrow of the spirit.
They chose to drown in a deeper vacancy,
an emptiness that quells the null,
a pool for the forgotten..."
Jan 19, 2021 8:26 PM

Dec 2016
Luisito14 said:
Rickydory123 said:

Yeah, me too. But in same time I would like Ao no Flag get an anime, I will not stand the prejudice coments about, and more about the end.

Yeah, I thought about that too. If it gets an anime, it will be full of toxic annoying stereotypical comments.
Jan 20, 2021 11:29 AM

Jul 2019
They said good things about the manga, I'll watch for sure!
Apaixonado por jogos e animes.
Jan 22, 2021 12:18 AM

Jul 2016
Been meaning to read it, because of all the praise and awards it gets. I hope the adaption gonna be good

Jan 22, 2021 7:31 AM

Apr 2012
beargolfer said:
RobertBobert said:

???? It’s not a shounen, my dude. Idk where you got any of that, it’s a drama abt a kid who falls in love with art, and a lot of the tension comes from his works being compared to others, as well as not knowing how to further his work.

Even if it's seinen, it's still pretty strange to hear the idea that shonen can't be about the characters' love for art.
Jan 22, 2021 1:10 PM

Mar 2018
RobertBobert said:

Even if it's seinen, it's still pretty strange to hear the idea that shonen can't be about the characters' love for art.

Not saying it can't be! I'm just saying that how this manga is presented is most certainly not a shounen
Jan 22, 2021 1:49 PM

Apr 2012
beargolfer said:
RobertBobert said:

Not saying it can't be! I'm just saying that how this manga is presented is most certainly not a shounen

Why do you think that shonen cannot describe mature emotional experiences?

Rickydory123 said:
Luisito14 said:

Yeah, I thought about that too. If it gets an anime, it will be full of toxic annoying stereotypical comments.

Hah, I just wanted to write "Are you talking about that LGBTQ-friendly shonen? Obviously adapting this will cause a shitstorm" and immediately saw that you already wrote that. Well, I would love to see a show like this, but at the same time my heart hurts at the thought of another gay vs straight war.
Jan 22, 2021 3:23 PM

Mar 2018
RobertBobert said:

Please stop putting words into my mouth. They CAN describe emotional and mature experiences, but that's often not the entire focus. I would suggest you read Blue Period before adamantly arguing with me on this. Even if you don't want to listen to me, the MAL page for the manga lists it as a seinen.
Jan 22, 2021 4:20 PM

Sep 2019
Heard about it from some people, I hope it’s as good as they say it is.
Jan 22, 2021 4:30 PM

Apr 2012
beargolfer said:
RobertBobert said:

Please stop putting words into my mouth. They CAN describe emotional and mature experiences, but that's often not the entire focus. I would suggest you read Blue Period before adamantly arguing with me on this. Even if you don't want to listen to me, the MAL page for the manga lists it as a seinen.

I'm not going to deny that this is a seinen manga. I just don't understand what exactly you want to tell me with that message.
Jan 28, 2021 2:38 AM

Oct 2019
It was obvious that they adapted it. A good manga quickly attracts producers to get even richer.

It's a nice news!
Incluso si nunca nos llegamos a ver otra vez,
vamos a estar unidos por el Abyss.

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

96 by rikazkhan »»
57 minutes ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
8 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

21 by VanishingKira »»
Yesterday, 2:11 PM

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Apr 22, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 22, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.