Forum Settings
Forums

Anyone really frustrated in abusive slapstick humour in shoujo anime?

New
Jan 13, 2021 2:20 PM
Feb 2016
I didn't care for it when I was young. I am 23 now and it's really pissing me off. In nearly every episode the male characters get punched, kicked etc for the dumbest reason, by both the male and female characters.

Even if it's warranted, shouldn't this be a bad lesson to teach the viewers as it obviously says it's OK to hit boys for whatever you want.

I just watched Fruit Basket 2019 till ep 3 when Kagura starts beating the crap out of Kyo but he just stands there and doesn't hit back.

I had enough of it, this is how I turned into Yaoi and Shounen Ai.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 13, 2021 2:24 PM

Nov 2020
Yeah I agree, it's really annoying.
*Guy accidentaly walks in on girl changing* *Guy get's called pervert and get's punched*
*Girl accidentaly walks in on guy changing* *Guy get's called pervert and get's punched*
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2021 2:25 PM

Jan 2019
yeah that does piss me off, whenever I see this I wanna see the guy just punt the girl. Still, though, this trend extends beyond just shoujo into all kinds of genres (especially in shounen).

also there are no shortages of violent tsunderes in BL idk what ur reading
Jan 13, 2021 2:30 PM
Feb 2016
belka1213 said:
yeah that does piss me off, whenever I see this I wanna see the guy just punt the girl. Still, though, this trend extends beyond just shoujo into all kinds of genres (especially in shounen).

In BL its different as its two guys, they hit each other. And I can't remember any violent tsunderes in BL. What BL are you talking about?

But in straight romance it's s gender thing.
Jan 13, 2021 2:31 PM

Oct 2015
Is this something that disproportionately occurs in shoujo anime/manga? I don't watch much shoujo, but I sure see that trope played out a lot. I really doubt it's significantly overrepresented in shoujo than it is in non-shoujo.
Jan 13, 2021 2:34 PM
Feb 2016
Auron_ said:
Is this something that disproportionately occurs in shoujo anime/manga? I don't watch much shoujo, but I sure see that trope played out a lot. I really doubt it's a significantly overrepresented in shoujo than it is in non-shoujo.

Yes, it happens all the time in Shoujo.

It's less prevelant in other genres outside of the romance genre as thee are shows where male hits back
Jan 13, 2021 2:39 PM
Nov 2019
It's annoying, cringy and not funny.

But I think it happens a lot more in shounen romcoms, because from the 20 or something shoujo anime I watched most of them don't really have that kinda thing.
Jan 13, 2021 2:42 PM
Feb 2016
Momokiki20 said:

But I think it happens a lot more in shounen romcoms, because from the 20 or something shoujo anime I watched most of them don't really have that kinda thing.

It happens all the time in Fruits Basket and Toradora, both popular shoujos
Jan 13, 2021 2:42 PM

Oct 2010
it is annoying but that is why I take breaks. seeing it after a long time actually makes me smile
Jan 13, 2021 2:45 PM
Oct 2017
I don't like this trope either but I don't think I've been seeing it in shoujo actually. It happens more often in shounen or some cheap rom coms.
Jan 13, 2021 2:47 PM
Oct 2017
Mark_Jason said:
Momokiki20 said:

Toradora is actually not a shoujo. I think it's a romcom
Jan 13, 2021 2:48 PM
Feb 2016
Teraplan0409 said:
I don't like this trope either but I don't think I've been seeing it in shoujo actually. It happens more often in shounen or some cheap rom coms.

It happens in most romantic comedies. Less in dramas.
Jan 13, 2021 2:49 PM
Feb 2016
Teraplan0409 said:
Mark_Jason said:

Toradora is actually not a shoujo. I think it's a romcom

It happens in most romantic comedies
Jan 13, 2021 2:50 PM

Jan 2019
Mark_Jason said:
Momokiki20 said:

Toradora isn't considered a shoujo; it's the magazine they are published in that makes them that. So Natsume Yuujinchou, which isn't romance, is also shoujo. I think thats why I disagreed with you on one part.
Jan 13, 2021 2:52 PM
Feb 2016
belka1213 said:
Mark_Jason said:

Toradora isn't considered a shoujo; it's the magazine they are published in that makes them that. So Natsume Yuujinchou, which isn't romance, is also shoujo. I think thats why I disagreed with you on one part.

I worded my question wrong.

It happens in romantic comedies instead, but romance and shoujo are used interchangeably.
Jan 13, 2021 2:59 PM

Jan 2019
Mark_Jason said:
belka1213 said:

In BL its different as its two guys, they hit each other. And I can't remember any violent tsunderes in BL. What BL are you talking about?

I don't keep track of manga so thats the best we have rn
Jan 13, 2021 3:01 PM

Jul 2017
in FB's case, it does explain later on Kyo's reasoning for why he doesn't do anything about it (as well as why Kaguya does what she does)

but otherwise, yea that's honestly one of the worst tropes tbh, most of the time can't really see the entertainment in that kinda stuff. It's especially worse in cases like High Score Girl or Isuca where the main pairing have barely anything going for them anyways, just makes the abuse look more ridiculous
Jan 13, 2021 3:05 PM
Feb 2016
belka1213 said:
Mark_Jason said:

He's not hitting him so it's different.
Guys hit each other rarely in BL like they do in romantic anime.
Jan 13, 2021 3:07 PM

Sep 2018
yeah it's very annoying we should definitely have a new tag called "slapstick humor" so that i can avoid watching them except if the anime is really incredible
Jan 13, 2021 3:08 PM
Feb 2016
Short_Circut said:
in FB's case, it does explain later on Kyo's reasoning for why he doesn't do anything about it (as well as why Kaguya does what she does)

but otherwise, yea that's honestly one of the worst tropes tbh, most of the time can't really see the entertainment in that kinda stuff. It's especially worse in cases like High Score Girl or Isuca where the main pairing have barely anything going for them anyways, just makes the abuse look more ridiculous

You can't excuse violence though. It doesn't make it any better in my opinion.

This is extremely disappointing for FB, because I was excited for it and liked Kyo a lot.

Shame. What a way to ruin an anime.
Mark_JasonJan 13, 2021 3:16 PM
Jan 13, 2021 3:09 PM
Feb 2016
Doc21 said:
yeah it's very annoying we should definitely have a new tag called "slapstick humor" so that i can avoid watching them except if the anime is really incredible
Doc21 said:

Excellent idea, I would agree to it.
Jan 13, 2021 3:10 PM
Jul 2018
I tolerate it in older anime. Probably why I prefer older anime so much more. I forgive a lot of "cliches" in older anime because at the time they were made they weren't necessarily cliche. New anime that keeps making the same jokes from 20 years ago over and over again definitely put me off.
Jan 13, 2021 3:15 PM
Feb 2016
RadarDuker said:
I tolerate it in older anime. Probably why I prefer older anime so much more. I forgive a lot of "cliches" in older anime because at the time they were made they weren't necessarily cliche. New anime that keeps making the same jokes from 20 years ago over and over again definitely put me off.

Yeah, take Hana Yori Dango for example. I know people who didn't watch it or read it because the female gets hit several times by the male lead and gets beat up and nearly raped by other guys.

This could never happen in today's romantic or shoujo anime for example.
I thought it was amazing how they handled it.
Jan 13, 2021 3:25 PM

Jan 2019
Mark_Jason said:
belka1213 said:

ok this

ya i know that ur right in this but I need to validate myself a little bit ok
Jan 13, 2021 3:26 PM

Feb 2013
no in fact it turns me on
i wasnt interested in these anime until now
Jan 13, 2021 3:29 PM
Feb 2016
belka1213 said:
Mark_Jason said:

ok this

romagia said:
belka1213 said:
Mark_Jason said:

ok this

belka1213 said:
Mark_Jason said:

ok this

Haha, I like that. Sure, do whatever you need to validate yourself babe.
Jan 13, 2021 3:30 PM
Feb 2016
romagia said:

Go ahead.

I get turned on by men controlling and using girls and boys too.
Jan 13, 2021 3:39 PM

Jun 2017
I vaguely remember a case where the usual scene happens, but the guy has a very hard face or something like that and doesn't feel anything, and the girl hurts her hand instead. But I can't place the anime. Anyone?

Jan 13, 2021 3:52 PM

Jul 2017
Mark_Jason said:
Short_Circut said:

This is extremely disappointing for FB, because I was excited for it and liked Kyo a lot.

eh, having at least some sort of proper justification for why characters behave the way they do is a lot better than all those characters who just brainlessly wack the dude every time

in Kagura's case,

so yes, you can't excuse violence, but a character who's violence is properly explained is far better than a character who's violence is just used for "shits and giggles" (at least with intense violence, not like Chuunibyou levels violence)
Jan 13, 2021 5:32 PM

Jul 2011
I do think it's refreshing when the boy hits the girl back. There are several series that have this.
Jan 13, 2021 5:47 PM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
It's a trope I'm a bit tired of, but it doesn't bother me any more than other anime tropes.

Also shoujo ≠ romance. There are shoujo stories with no romance, and romance stories that aren't shoujo. They aren't interchangeable terms.
Jan 13, 2021 5:49 PM

May 2020
Yeah I dislike it too, the girls then blush or something, cringe
Jan 13, 2021 8:54 PM

May 2018
I generally don't mind it if it isn't overused or if the female character isn't too squeaky. It can get annoying sometimes when it is overused. If I compared anime cliches and tropes to things I hate or disapprove of in real life, I wouldn't be watching anime.
Jan 14, 2021 3:44 AM
Feb 2016
Robotdick said:
I do think it's refreshing when the boy hits the girl back. There are several series that have this.

Excellent, give me the names please.
Jan 14, 2021 3:49 AM
Feb 2016
Short_Circut said:
Mark_Jason said:

eh, having at least some sort of proper justification for why characters behave the way they do is a lot better than all those characters who just brainlessly wack the dude every time

in Kagura's case,

so yes, you can't excuse violence, but a character who's violence is properly explained is far better than a character who's violence is just used for "shits and giggles" (at least with intense violence, not like Chuunibyou levels violence)

EH,not sure. I think that reasoning is really stupid. Just an excuse to promote violence against boys so little girls can laugh.

Fruits Basket was made for little girls anyway, so what can I say?

It's cringy at its best, and Kagura deserves to be slapped.
Jan 14, 2021 3:55 AM
Jul 2018
Mark_Jason said:
I didn't care for it when I was young. I am 23 now and it's really pissing me off. In nearly every episode the male characters get punched, kicked etc for the dumbest reason, by both the male and female characters.

Even if it's warranted, shouldn't this be a bad lesson to teach the viewers as it obviously says it's OK to hit boys for whatever you want.

I just watched Fruit Basket 2019 till ep 3 when Kagura starts beating the crap out of Kyo but he just stands there and doesn't hit back.

Glad they only have rape and absolutely toxic boyfriends in a lot, or at least too many, BLs. Welp.
Jan 14, 2021 4:05 AM
Feb 2016
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
Mark_Jason said:

Glad they only have rape and absolutely toxic boyfriends in a lot, or at least too many, BLs. Welp.

That's true, it's represented the same way as violence is in romantic straight anime.

And there are tons of toxic boys and girls in shoujo, Seinen, and romance anime.

But physical violence bothers me more tbh.
Jan 14, 2021 4:06 AM
Dec 2017
yeah it is really beyond cringey ngl and its very oversaturated too

Jan 14, 2021 4:13 AM
Jul 2020
Shounen AI isn't much better either what with all the rampant sexual assault and overly-possessive behavior. It's sad because the genre has stories with genuine heart but most people are understandably put off by it's rapey reputation.
Jan 14, 2021 4:16 AM

Jan 2020
A bad lesson ? I wouldn't say so, If you take lessons from jokes in anime then you're doin something wrong, The comedy is amped to make it more funny, So basically instead of someone screaming or arguing with someone why doesn't he just falcon punch him to the sky ?, This isn't a formula for a funny joke but it's not like they're even attempting a useful moral in the first place, It's just a joke.

If you take this as "abusive" then you probably take Batman as a terrorist and Patrick as a mentally ill individual whom needs medical help
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
Jan 14, 2021 4:18 AM

May 2018
saz3000 said:
Shounen AI isn't much better either what with all the rampant sexual assault and overly-possessive behavior. It's sad because the genre has stories with genuine heart but most people are understandably put off by it's rapey reputation.

It is sad. Some stories are amazing and a welcome departure from typical cliched romance when you want something different. Themes can range from sweet to dark.
Jan 14, 2021 4:19 AM

Jul 2015
You know, people keep complaining about sexualized lolis, retrograde representation of women or gays, rapeshit, sexual or degrading jokes, etc... And I must say I don't have these problems.

'Cuz I watch 80s shows. AH!

Screw modern anime. I'm currently watching and reading Maison Ikkoku and it destroys every crappy modern romcom I endured before. Also Japan felt more modern in the 80s than 2020s, great...
Jan 14, 2021 4:29 AM
Feb 2016
Nalusa_Falaya said:
A bad lesson ? I wouldn't say so, If you take lessons from jokes in anime then you're doin something wrong, The comedy is amped to make it more funny, So basically instead of someone screaming or arguing with someone why doesn't he just falcon punch him to the sky ?, This isn't a formula for a funny joke but it's not like they're even attempting a useful moral in the first place, It's just a joke.

If you take this as "abusive" then you probably take Batman as a terrorist and Patrick as a mentally ill individual whom needs medical help

That's what feminists and some people say when guys hit girls for a joke in anime, so what is your point?

It's sexism teaching girls and boys it's OK to hit men because they don't care.

No, I don't see Batman as a terrorist. Now that was a strange comment.
Jan 14, 2021 4:32 AM
Feb 2016
saz3000 said:

That's true, they are both wrong, but with Shounen Ai, there is no sexism at least unlike in straight romance, and it's between two guys so the dynamics are different.

So I prefer it over cringy romance, comedy or shoujo and seinen. There is a different issue I see with shounen ai and especially yaoi.
Jan 14, 2021 5:03 AM

Jan 2020
Mark_Jason said:
Nalusa_Falaya said:

That's what feminists and some people say when guys hit girls for a joke in anime, so what is your point?

One, Not because feminists say it that means it's right, I also think that many of them take these jokes way too seriously like it's some kind of movement for abusing women, It seems like you're trying to fight fire with fire, So basically I disagree with both you and many of the feminists since it doesn't matter who says it, What matters is the context of the "abuse"

Two, Bruh, Why are you trying to find lessons in anime jokes !? Not because it's in the show and the good guy does it means that you should too, Not everything is lesson.
The idea of everything should be morally right works in children stories where the knight saves the princess but in stuff like comedy, It's extremism IS one of the reason it's funny, And most people who don't take anime shows like moral guidebooks won't think "Oh the guy hit his friend in this joke, I'll go punch my friend in the face"

Also, I said the Batman part just to comment on you looking too deep into things and turning a lighthearted joke that most people will forget to some sexist abusive attack.
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
Jan 14, 2021 5:06 AM

Jul 2015
Mark_Jason said:
Nalusa_Falaya said:

Heh I knew "le evil feminazis" was the actual subject from the beginning.

I'm here since 5 years and it's like the 100th thread like yours I read, and I didn't read a single one made by a "feminist" to complain about the opposite.

Watch better shows?

Jan 14, 2021 5:12 AM
Apr 2020
Of course. This is the reason why I hate Toradora and Shigatsu wa kimi no uso (not a shoujo but the point is still there).
If you're happy and you know it clap your hands
Jan 14, 2021 8:17 AM
Feb 2016
Ghemotoc said:
Mark_Jason said:

I'm here since 5 years and it's like the 100th thread like yours I read, and I didn't read a single one made by a "feminist" to complain about the opposite.

Watch better shows?

No, feminism wasn't the foundation of this topic, I am just saying they are the ones who complain about using violence on females as a humour.

Many other people wouldn't watch a guy hit a girl as a humour as well, but they don't mind girls abusing boys.

It's sexism ingrained in the society.
Jan 14, 2021 8:21 AM

May 2018
Mark_Jason said:
Ghemotoc said:

Watch better shows?

No, feminism wasn't the foundation of this topic, I am just saying they are the ones who complain about using violence on females as a humour.

Many other people wouldn't watch a guy hit a girl as a humour as well, but they don't mind girls abusing boys.

It's sexism ingrained in the society.

Have them watch Barakamon then (lovely anime, by the way), where the MC kicks a little girl and an old man. Equal abuse to all, no sexism or ageism!
Jan 14, 2021 8:23 AM
Feb 2016
Nalusa_Falaya said:
Mark_Jason said:

One, Not because feminists say it that means it's right, I also think that many of them take these jokes way too seriously like it's some kind of movement for abusing women, It seems like you're trying to fight fire with fire, So basically I disagree with both you and many of the feminists since it doesn't matter who says it, What matters is the context of the "abuse"

Two, Bruh, Why are you trying to find lessons in anime jokes !? Not because it's in the show and the good guy does it means that you should too, Not everything is lesson.
The idea of everything should be morally right works in children stories where the knight saves the princess but in stuff like comedy, It's extremism IS one of the reason it's funny, And most people who don't take anime shows like moral guidebooks won't think "Oh the guy hit his friend in this joke, I'll go punch my friend in the face"

Also, I said the Batman part just to comment on you looking too deep into things and turning a lighthearted joke that most people will forget to some sexist abusive attack.

I am not looking for lessons, but romance anime are watched by kids. It doesn't transfer a good message at all.

And its definitely sexist because girls are not treated this way. It's only guys, why?

Because if the creators would show guys hitting girls, people wouldn't watch it and complain about domestic violence and that the author or whoever made it is pure scum.

So if you think of it that way, it is abusive and sexist.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 8 hours ago

31 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
10 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

76 by velvetnyan »»
12 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

55 by Pokitaru »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 6 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
43 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 11 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
53 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.