Forum Settings
Forums

'Saiyuuki' Manga's 'Even a Worm' Arc Adapted for TV Anime

New
Jan 10, 2021 10:47 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014

Frontier Works announced on Sunday that Kazuya Minekura's Saiyuuki manga will receive a new television anime adaptation titled Saiyuuki Reload: Zeroin. The anime series produced by LIDENFILMS will adapt the Even a worm arc from Minekura's Saiyuuki Reload manga. The announcement also revealed a teaser visual (pictured above) and teaser promotional video.

Houchuu Ootsuka (Golden Kamuy) is joining the main cast returning from the previous anime series, composed of Toshihiko Seki as Sanzou Genjou, Soichiro Hoshi as Son Gokuu, Akira Ishida as Hakkai Cho, and Hiroaki Hirata as Gojou Sha.

Studio Pierrot adapted the manga into three television anime in Spring 2000, Fall 2003, and Spring 2004. Platinum Vision produced the latest installment, Saiyuuki Reload Blast, in Summer 2017. An anime movie subtitled Requiem - Erabarezaru Mono e no Chinkonka premiered in 2001. The manga also received multiple original video anime.

Minekura serialized the original fantasy action manga in GFantasy from February 1997 to January 2002. The Saiyuuki Reload sequel ran in Comic ZERO-SUM from March 2002 to June 2009.

Saiyuuki Reload Blast, the latest manga in the franchise, began in the same magazine in December that year and has three volumes in print as of October 2017. The manga series has a cumulative of 25 million copies in circulation worldwide.

Teaser PV

Official Twitter: @saiyuki_re

Source: PR Times

Saiyuuki Reload: Zeroin on MAL
DatRandomDudeJan 14, 2021 9:13 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 10, 2021 10:54 AM

Apr 2012
Linden's guys decided to finally turn into a shounen studio?

Jan 10, 2021 10:57 AM

Mar 2017
I'm so excited! I can't believe they are animating my favorite arc. The boys are back & I can't wait to see them!
Jan 10, 2021 11:04 AM

Mar 2011
More Saiyuuki is always welcome.
Jan 10, 2021 11:19 AM

Oct 2017
Nice new Saiyuuki anime.
Jan 10, 2021 11:35 AM

Feb 2011
Great news for the fans.
眠れないのは君のせい
Jan 10, 2021 11:43 AM

Apr 2015
RobertBobert said:

Saiyuki is a josei, actually.
Jan 10, 2021 12:05 PM

Apr 2012
Vsegda7 said:
RobertBobert said:

Saiyuki is a josei, actually.

Which comes out in a gender-neutral shonen magazine?
Jan 11, 2021 1:34 AM
Jun 2020
Not particularly interested
Jan 11, 2021 1:57 AM

Jul 2016
Sounds good but they should have done that way before they make the Reload Blast anime or the Gaiden OVAs rather than now lol. I hope Hazel and Gatz's VAs from Gunlock will reprise their roles in the new anime.

For those who doesn't know, this is kinda a remake of Saiyuki Reload Gunlock's second arc (Which takes place before Reload Blast anime that previously aired on 2017) but in FMB: Brotherhood style (Following the manga stories closer since Gunlock went with anime-original ending instead due to lack of source material to adapt).
MahiaErebeaNegiJan 11, 2021 2:04 AM
Jan 11, 2021 2:11 AM

Jun 2017
Ok, I'm always glad to have more Saiyuki but can't see the point in these disjointed anime adaptations. If the series is given brotherhood-treatment I'd prefer a quality remake of the whole story but that's probably an impossible dream. :D

BR,
Minekura-worshipper
Jan 11, 2021 5:01 AM

Nov 2018
What's this about?

For anyone that read the manga how is it?

Jan 11, 2021 7:44 AM

Jul 2016
BenRyan said:
What's this about?

For anyone that read the manga how is it?

Basically it's a anime/manga version of Journey to the West but doing it's own thing instead (Similar way to early Dragon Ball but follows JTTW's ideas way closer).
Jan 11, 2021 8:54 PM
BL Connoisseur

Oct 2008
I am really glad that there's another Saiyuki adaptation to hold us fans off until Blast gets continued/has enough material for a second season. I really hope Minekura-sensei gets better soon so that Saiyuki as a franchise can return to being serialized somewhat regularly. ToT

Warning: spoiler. Don't open if you haven't watched Blast/read the manga.

I am forever your most devoted believer.

Jan 12, 2021 1:14 AM

Jul 2016
gwendal738 said:

The manga stopped at exactly where the Blast anime ended before it went on infinite hiatus so we don't know what will happen later on.
Jan 12, 2021 1:23 AM
BL Connoisseur

Oct 2008
MahiaErebeaNegi said:
gwendal738 said:

The manga stopped at exactly where the Blast anime ended before it went on infinite hiatus so we don't know what will happen later on.

That's exactly what I feared... With Minekura-sensei's health problems I really doubt it will return to a normal serialization T^T;;;

I've been waiting for a conclusion to this franchise since 2005, lmao... I've been a fan since Gensoumaden Saiyuki (2000). I even read the original Journey to the West (English translated, ofc) for English class in high school which gave me a rough idea of how it will end, but seeing as how the whole franchise is really LOOSELY based on the original novel more than anything I doubt it helps.

Jan 12, 2021 4:29 AM

Jul 2016
gwendal738 said:
That's exactly what I feared... With Minekura-sensei's health problems I really doubt it will return to a normal serialization T^T;;;

You know, sometime I wonder why didn't Minekura just hired another artist to draw the manga on a bi-monthly magazine (So she has more time to rest), while she simply proving a story script to that artist and maybe fixing some stuffs if that artist do something wrong. I think that perhaps she would be more easier to work that way without feel uncomfortable due to her health issues.

There's even a few times in the manga where she's not able to finish drawn some pages and ended up only sketch available, for example like one of Reload manga chapter where it's just full of sketch with speech bubbles added rather than fully drawn pages.
Jan 12, 2021 4:49 AM

Mar 2017
MahiaErebeaNegi said:
gwendal738 said:

You know, sometime I wonder why didn't Minekura just hired another artist to draw the manga on a bi-monthly magazine (So she has more time to rest), while she simply proving a story script to that artist and maybe fixing some stuffs if that artist do something wrong. I think that perhaps she would be more easier to work that way without feel uncomfortable due to her health issues.

There's even a few times in the manga where she's not able to finish drawn some pages and ended up only sketch available, for example like one of Reload manga chapter where it's just full of sketch with speech bubbles added rather than fully drawn pages.

I think she can't hire other artists as her art style is special, it's hard to copy it as we've seen in different anime adaptations.
Reload manga pages were only sketches in the magazine, they were finished in the full volume.
Jan 12, 2021 7:28 AM
BL Connoisseur

Oct 2008
gofree said:
MahiaErebeaNegi said:

I think she can't hire other artists as her art style is special, it's hard to copy it as we've seen in different anime adaptations.
Reload manga pages were only sketches in the magazine, they were finished in the full volume.

@MahiaErebeaNegi honestly I was also thinking this... but as @gofree has pointed out here, that is pretty much the case. Though honestly I would much rather her artstyle change a bit because of her assistant/co-artist than for the Saiyuuki franchise to remain unfinished... This was literally my childhood. I don't want to see it incomplete. Because there's a possibility that Minekura-sensei might just discontinue the manga, just like the recent news with Somali to Mori no Kami-sama's author discontinuing said manga because of his health issues.

I'm sure there's some compromise to be had here, but maybe there are other circumstances preventing her from hiring assistants, like maybe lack of resources/money? She isn't as famous as she used to be so it might be hard to get assistants...

Jan 12, 2021 8:00 AM

Aug 2010
I've never read Saiyuki, but it's impressive how it's never down for long.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

DatRandomDude - 10 hours ago

43 by VivavideoUser2x »»
15 minutes ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 50 minutes ago

0 by Snow »»
50 minutes ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
8 hours ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
9 hours ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
Yesterday, 6:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.