Forum Settings
Forums

CLAMP's 'Tokyo Babylon' Manga Gets TV Anime for 2021

New
Oct 25, 2020 9:31 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
King Amusement Creative opened an official website for a television anime adaptation of CLAMP's Tokyo Babylon on Monday, revealing a teaser visual (pictured) and a promotional video. Produced by GoHands, the anime series will air in 2021.

Synopsis
Subaru Sumeragi is the thirteenth head of his powerful onmyouji clan. Until the time comes when he must succeed his grandmother fully, Subaru is allowed to live in Tokyo with his fraternal twin Hokuto. While Subaru is kind and shy, Hokuto has exuberance to spare, and her favorite pastime is designing bold matching outfits for the two of them to wear. Her next favorite thing to do is try to set up Subaru with their veterinarian friend Seishirou Sakurazuka who, oddly enough, is always readily available to accompany the Sumeragis throughout the city.

Subaru has to resolve a variety of spiritual conflicts in Tokyo: some are cases formally brought to him by clients, and others are matters in which he decides to involve himself. A selfless teenager, he empathizes with others to the point that their pain may as well be his own. This leaves him vulnerable in a city where nearly everyone makes decisions that only benefit themselves as individuals. Hokuto hopes that if Subaru develops feelings for Seishirou, their relationship will be the one thing that he never gives up for the sake of anyone else. However, is Seishirou the best candidate for her brother's love, or is he hiding sinister secrets? [Written by MAL Rewrite]

CLAMP serialized the fantasy shoujo manga in South and Monthly Wings magazines between 1990 and 1993. A sequel manga titled X ran in Monthly Asuka from March 1992 to March 2003.

Madhouse adapted Tokyo Babylon into a two-episode original video anime in 1992 and 1994 and produced an anime film for X in 1996. A 24-episode television anime re-adapting the sequel manga aired in Fall 2001.

Tokyopop published the manga in English from May 2004 to May 2005. Dark Horse Comics reacquired the rights to the series and published it in two omnibus volumes in 2013.

PV

Official site: https://tokyobabylon2021.jp/
Official Twitter: @tokyobabylon2021

Source: Comic Natalie

Tokyo Babylon 2021 on MAL
DatRandomDudeOct 25, 2020 2:35 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 25, 2020 9:33 AM
Haruna Sairenji

Jan 2017
Never thought this would happen. Hope they can do it some justice.
Oct 25, 2020 9:37 AM
Dec 2017
hopefully this turn out to be really good

Oct 25, 2020 9:58 AM
Dec 2017
VanishingKira said:
I don't trust or consider GoHands a good studio by any means but if by chance it does turn out good it'll be a pleasant surprise. Wonder who will be on it staff.

Well they did good job with Seitokai Yakuindomo and K, so there is alwasy hope. Wz and Handshakers was mostly bad because of bad script (no manga or LN behind it).
But yeah, whoever is in productiom commitee, they are probably trying to save on it as much as possible.
Oct 25, 2020 10:04 AM

Sep 2007
The absolute rollercoaster of seeing this and then reading the words "produced by GoHands"... oof. The PV looks decent, but the character designs don't really look like CLAMP. Hopefully this will turn out okay, but I'm not holding my breath.
Oct 25, 2020 10:14 AM

Mar 2014
I definitely didn't expect that it would get an anime adaptation after so many years, but fingers crossed it's actually good. I'd be happy if that was the case
Oct 25, 2020 10:33 AM

Feb 2011
Mixed feelings. Do I really want more pain in my life? But at the same time...bittersweet memories.
眠れないのは君のせい
Oct 25, 2020 11:08 AM

Jan 2008
GoHands has been more miss than a hit as of late, with Hand Shakers really dragging them down. Hopefully they chill on the CGI, excessive use of scenery movement not matching character speed and recycled character animation.
Oct 25, 2020 11:11 AM

Sep 2007
i didn't watch anything from the studio except for the K series and i liked it a lot

its not my place to give advice or tell you how to feel about the studio but isn't it better to wait and see maybe they will improve and make a good adaptation

Oct 25, 2020 11:22 AM

Oct 2019
Nice. Never thought this would happen.

GoHands better not mess this up.
Pandora Hearts is the best manga ever made and deserves an anime reboot
Oct 25, 2020 11:52 AM

Feb 2016
Until now, I believed CLAMP to be distancing themselves from their oldest manga. As much as I hate Tokyo Babylon, I look forward to watching this anime. CLAMP's anime tend to be very different from their respective source material.
その目だれの目?
Oct 25, 2020 12:47 PM

Jun 2015
Studio GOATHands back at it again, epic.
Oct 25, 2020 1:12 PM

Aug 2014
Ah fuck, CLAMP's alive again. Guess I gotta run.
Oct 25, 2020 1:18 PM

Jan 2009
Thumbs down for character designs. Sure they don't have to be exactly the same as in manga, but, please, give me a break. Making Sakurazuka look like that is a blasphemy.
Oct 25, 2020 1:19 PM

Oct 2019
Lucifrost said:
Until now, I believed CLAMP to be distancing themselves from their oldest manga. As much as I hate Tokyo Babylon, I look forward to watching this anime. CLAMP's anime tend to be very different from their respective source material.

Why would you consider Tokyo Babylon bad? Also, their oldest manga is RG Veda.
Pandora Hearts is the best manga ever made and deserves an anime reboot
Oct 25, 2020 1:48 PM

Apr 2009
They apparently going to modernize this, which makes me wonder how they are even going to make it work, the manga is about sociopolitical issue in Japan in the year it was published. There is also the fact that well, the story is inconclusive without X anyway.

Also the new character design is awful, especially for Seishirou.

Oct 25, 2020 2:03 PM

Feb 2016
SebCyrSC2000 said:
Lucifrost said:

Why would you consider Tokyo Babylon bad? Also, their oldest manga is RG Veda.

It's bad because the relationship between the 3 leads is bad. I meant "oldest manga" as a plural. RG Veda may predate Tokyo Babylon, but both are from the same time period. Everything seen in the 1st CLAMP in Wonderland video is basically ancient by today's standards.
LucifrostOct 25, 2020 2:06 PM
その目だれの目?
Oct 25, 2020 2:08 PM

Nov 2013
NOT GOHANDS FOR A CLAMP ANIME ;___;
Oct 25, 2020 2:27 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
One of the many works from CLAMP I didn't read... dunno if this seems like the type of thing I'd watch/read though.
Also, what happened to that announcement where they were partnering up with Netflix? Is that still a thing, or is this anime the result of that?
Oct 25, 2020 2:31 PM
Jul 2018
Looks very promising. As a big fan of CLAMP and GoHands, I can expect this remake.
Oct 25, 2020 3:32 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
Oh I love the Tokyo Babylon manga. It's one of the few manga series that I own the whole lot. I hope they keep the shounen-ai elements.

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Oct 25, 2020 3:35 PM

Jul 2013
Animation is beautiful. At least for now it seems like a lot of care will be given to this anime. Hopefully it will be good.
Noir… It is the name of an ancient fate. Two sisters who watch anime. The peace of the newly born, their black hands protect.
Oct 25, 2020 3:43 PM
May 2015
I have mixed feelings on this.

Firstly, it's nice to see CLAMP's early works get some love.

However, that artwork looks very subpar, especially the character designs. (Especially if you compare to the 90s adaptation of Tokyo Babylon and X) CLAMP's elegant and elaborate designs need to be animated nicely, they're half the charm of their work. I hope GoHands will improve on their work.
Oct 25, 2020 3:53 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015

They did it... They DID IT... THEY FUCKING DID IT....

no bro I did NOT expect old CLAMP manga getting redone adaptations.

BITCH give me Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle too. CLAMP is (are) THAT (those) bitch(es).

It's so odd to see old CLAMP artwork being cleaned up for HD. I really like it tho. Kinda reminds me more of the Tales of anime adaptations more than CLAMP art for some reason. Animation-wise it is good but this is just a teaser.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 25, 2020 4:15 PM

May 2009
Damn was I excited... then I watched the trailer and it's fucking GoHands.

They could have at least tried to make it look closer to the original designs... Now I won't be able to stop thinking about Hand Shakers whenever I watch it...
Oct 25, 2020 4:24 PM

Jun 2014
I own the first episode of the OVA on laserdisc, but I've never watched it.

This doesn't look any better. It looks more like something from the "Tales" video game series, lol.

Oct 25, 2020 4:42 PM

Aug 2011
i thought it was impossible to alter clamp's unique character design so much but they actually did it

for what reason though? for what reason
Oct 25, 2020 4:58 PM
Jan 2016
I love Go Hands animation style but I think I'll skip this I will never watch anything with incest that's a deal breaker
I'd rather die a free man then live under the rules of idiots
Oct 25, 2020 5:16 PM

May 2008
man all the NEGATIVE NANCIES IN THE COMMENTS...

meanwhile I'm STOKED because I LOVE tokyo babylon so I hope the studio does good.

Oct 25, 2020 5:21 PM

Jun 2014
yamiyugi101 said:
I love Go Hands animation style but I think I'll skip this I will never watch anything with incest that's a deal breaker

Wait, there's incest in Tokyo Babylon? Well then, I'll make never to watch it. Why does CLAMP stuff have to be so weird?

Kaymyu said:
man all the NEGATIVE NANCIES IN THE COMMENTS...

meanwhile I'm STOKED because I LOVE tokyo babylon so I hope the studio does good.

You're "stoked?" Why? Are you gonna catch some waves on your surfboard or something? :P

Oct 25, 2020 5:32 PM

Dec 2011
I'll never understand these decisions that change the time period/setting from the original, they almost never retain the personality. I'm not one to be on the modernizing obsession and that's the feeling I get from their clothes.

BUT STILL hell yea HELL YEAH Tokyo Babylon!! Everything by CLAMP is beloved but this one is a particular experience. I'm unfamiliar with the studio but excited for whatever happens. Maybe more X-related news in the future?

Happy 30th anni everyone :^)

Seiya said:
yamiyugi101 said:

Wait, there's incest in Tokyo Babylon? Well then, I'll make never to watch it. Why does CLAMP stuff have to be so weird?

Huh. It's been a while since I last read it but I don't remember that being in the manga.
Oct 25, 2020 5:33 PM

Jun 2014
CMYK said:
I'll never understand these decisions that change the time period/setting from the original, they almost never retain the personality. I'm not one to be on the modernizing obsession and that's the feeling I get from their clothes.

BUT STILL hell yea HELL YEAH Tokyo Babylon!! Everything by CLAMP is beloved but this one is a particular experience. I'm unfamiliar with the studio but excited for whatever happens. Maybe more X-related news in the future?

Seiya said:

Huh. It's been a while since I last read it but I don't remember that being in the manga.

Oh, I see. What was that other user talking about, then?

Oct 25, 2020 5:40 PM

Feb 2016
@Seiya
You wouldn’t want to watch this anyway. It’s gay.
その目だれの目?
Oct 25, 2020 5:42 PM

Jun 2014
Lucifrost said:
@Seiya
You wouldn’t want to watch this anyway. It’s gay.

So, why should that turn me off from watching it?

Oct 25, 2020 5:45 PM

Feb 2016
You said you’re homophobic.
その目だれの目?
Oct 25, 2020 5:52 PM

Jun 2014
Lucifrost said:
You said you’re homophobic.

That was mostly a short phase I went through. I like anime boys and penises, and I hate vaginas, so I can't truly be homophobic now, can I?

I just need to stop reading/watching the news, and I'll be in a healthier state of mind.

Oct 25, 2020 5:54 PM

Dec 2011
Seiya said:
CMYK said:

Something like that would definitely stick out so I doubt I'm remembering wrong. They share a bond but there's no incest between the siblings in TB.
Oct 25, 2020 5:55 PM

Jun 2014
CMYK said:
Seiya said:

Something like that would definitely stick out so I doubt I'm remembering wrong. They share a bond but there's no incest between the siblings in TB.

Oh, I see. I'll consider giving it a shot someday, then.

Oct 25, 2020 6:00 PM
May 2018
CMYK said:
It's easier for most people to identify with the era they currently live in.
Also, smartphones mean modern.
Oct 25, 2020 6:00 PM
Mar 2019
Oh, I can t wait! I love CLAMP!!
Oct 25, 2020 8:02 PM
Jul 2018
I have to go and see code geass to fully adapt to CLAMP's proportions and man if this looks kind of promising.

Met you in code geass!
Oct 25, 2020 9:00 PM
うまぴょい伝説

May 2017
Expecting Hand Shakers/W'z staff from this, just looking from the character designs...
Oct 25, 2020 10:18 PM

Jan 2017
I still can't belive it, that's so f amazing and unexpected, please don't disappoint me GoHands T.T
awesome
Oct 25, 2020 10:56 PM

Aug 2012
If it's CLAMP, I'm definitely checking this out!

And it looks like it's a great time for me to watch the first adaptation of Tokyo Babylon and read the manga.
Oct 25, 2020 11:13 PM

Oct 2010
I only like tsubasa chronicle from clamp, sadly, it will never get the anime it deserves
Oct 25, 2020 11:54 PM

Dec 2016
I can't trust GoHands...they stopped giving justice to animes after doing K. K is the only anime they did really nicely and then I think their director got possessed or something, like all the anime they did after K is shit.
Oct 26, 2020 2:25 AM

Jun 2020
Oh? Oh! That's really cool, ngl.
>GoHands
Oh... that's... still cool. Yeah.
TadanoMariOct 26, 2020 2:37 AM
Oct 26, 2020 2:32 AM
Jul 2018
Rickydory123 said:
I can't trust GoHands...they stopped giving justice to animes after doing K. K is the only anime they did really nicely and then I think their director got possessed or something, like all the anime they did after K is shit.

Seitokai Yakuindomo, Mardock Scramble also good GoHands anime. I agree with you in terms of their job was worse due to Hand Shakers and W'z. They're Frontier Works (Producer company) and script writer self-satisfaction original anime series.
Tokyo Babylon is manga adaptation so I still can expect animation quality. I love GoHands.
Oct 26, 2020 4:03 AM

Dec 2016
Xnovazero said:
Rickydory123 said:

Seitokai Yakuindomo, Mardock Scramble also good GoHands anime. I agree with you in terms of their job was worse due to Hand Shakers and W'z. They're Frontier Works (Producer company) and script writer self-satisfaction original anime series.
Tokyo Babylon is manga adaptation so I still can expect animation quality. I love GoHands.

I agree that their manga adaptations turns out good so there's hope for this one. What bothers me is that all their recent ones has baby face characters... Even another one that's coming Project Scard, they are like in their 20s with baby face...
Oct 26, 2020 5:39 AM

Mar 2012
The manga has been on my plan to read for a long time now, I like Clamp so I'm looking forward to this.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

9 by RobertBobert »»
4 minutes ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - 51 minutes ago

2 by RobertBobert »»
8 minutes ago

» 'Katsute Mahou Shoujo to Aku wa Tekitai shiteita.' Reveals Additional Cast, Second Promo

Doshigatai - 7 hours ago

3 by JehadKun »»
4 hours ago

» 'T.P BON' Reveals Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

2 by EcchiGodMamster »»
5 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/10]

Snow - Apr 5

26 by infanf »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.