Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 16, 2020 8:44 PM
Sep 2020
Has anime been a positive or a negative on your mental health? I've been thinking recently about how anime can easily isolate somebody and increase their want for escapism. But also how it can be a stress reliever or a safe vice.

Do you feel your mental health is improved when you watch anime? Or has it had no noticeable effect at all.
Oct 16, 2020 8:46 PM

Mar 2017
i don't think it has necessarily bettered or worsened it but i can recognize i hyperfixate on shows as a form of escapism. so it helps my mental health but at the same time fixes nothing? LOL
Oct 16, 2020 8:46 PM

Apr 2020
Gets me through my online classes, so yea it has positively.
Oct 16, 2020 8:48 PM
Jul 2018
its fun to watch and the characters are very easy to get attached to, so its been positive :)
Oct 16, 2020 8:52 PM
Jun 2020
It’s Very motivating and inspiring.
Oct 16, 2020 9:02 PM

Aug 2019
It's taught me a lot of things I otherwise wouldn't have learned, at the same time though, it's somewhat addicting. Since I'm usually a calm person who doesn't visibly react to many things, the emotional saturation that anime has feels amazing. When I first started watching, I felt this rush I previously never had, and that's what really sucked me into the medium.
Oct 16, 2020 9:04 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
It's probably made me worse, but I don't give a shit at all and I bet that nobody else I know irl does too. I'll keep watching anime and reading manga anyway.
Oct 16, 2020 9:43 PM
Mar 2019
Evangelion taught me it was okay to just exist for now and find your purpose later on in life. If not for the traumawords it gave me, I probably wouldn't be here and have found more people who treat me more as a family than my bloodkin.
Oct 16, 2020 9:49 PM

Apr 2020
I didn't have a bad mental health, though it did make it good. Idk, i feel like I have a more positive outlook on things from watching a lot of shonen animes and their non stop, "never give up" attitude. it definetely made me learn a lot about life. Especially Clannad, it makes me feel grateful and appreciative of a lot of things. A 1,000 thanks to shows like Steins;gate as well
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 16, 2020 10:15 PM
Sep 2020
SAT0rii said:
It's taught me a lot of things I otherwise wouldn't have learned, at the same time though, it's somewhat addicting. Since I'm usually a calm person who doesn't visibly react to many things, the emotional saturation that anime has feels amazing. When I first started watching, I felt this rush I previously never had, and that's what really sucked me into the medium.
Well said, the emotional aspect of anime gave me the same rush and sucked me in as well.
Oct 16, 2020 10:23 PM
Jun 2020
To be honest, anime came at a low point in my life, I automatically got hooked and consumed a real lot. For me, through watching stories and slice of life, drama etc. I felt like I got a lot of lessons from anime, and it helped me gain back my footing
Oct 16, 2020 10:25 PM
Sep 2020
Fario-P said:
It's probably made me worse, but I don't give a shit at all and I bet that nobody else I know irl does too. I'll keep watching anime and reading manga anyway.
The reason I reason started this thread is because I was feeling the same way. So just know your not alone.
Oct 16, 2020 10:33 PM
Jul 2018
So far it has positive impact, esp. anime that inserts moral supports and stuffs. Majo no Tabitabi (Fall 2020) for instance.
Oct 16, 2020 10:34 PM

Jul 2013
SOL anime with capable protagonists are uplifting and motivational. But when fanbases go rabid in forums though, I'm ashamed to be a part of it.
Oct 16, 2020 10:53 PM

Apr 2014
I watched anime throughout my whole teen and now adult life and it didn't seem to affect my mental health in any negative way. I also try to stay away from the community nowadays with how toxic some parts have became.
Oct 16, 2020 10:57 PM
Sep 2020
Mist said:
I watched anime throughout my whole teen and now adult life and it didn't seem to affect my mental health in any negative way. I also try to stay away from the community nowadays with how toxic some parts have became.
Seems to be theme, anime hasn't been a negative on most peoples mental health but actual people have been.
Oct 16, 2020 11:04 PM

Apr 2019
For me, anime is escapism incarnate. It just manages to lift my spirits on any given day, no matter how horrible or stupid it was. So yeah, a very very positive influence on me.

I was rushing desperately, trying to reach the light. When I thought I did, I reached a dead end instead. Then I decided I wanted to enter that light. And at the edge of it, I found you.
Oct 17, 2020 2:22 AM

May 2020
For me each anime series or movie I watch it effects my mental health differently each time. IDK there is some sort of weird power hidden in every anime I feel.
I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 17, 2020 2:36 AM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
I've never had bad mental health, but I used to be very neutral and emotionless about everything, but I think when I started to watch anime I completely changed and without anime I wouldn't be the bubbly person I am. I used to be a loner bookworm who had nothing else to do on free time but to read books, but now that I have anime, I have plenty of other friends who I can talk about anime (and other stuff) with, I go to conventions (first time ever I went to any kind of event was when I first went to a convention, other than that I always stayed home) and my long time best friend said that the first time she heard me laughing was around the time I started to watch anime (of course there could have been other reasons too)
Oct 17, 2020 2:41 AM
Oct 2020
If you see Anime and you don't learned one or two lessons of life then you never have seen Anime
Oct 17, 2020 3:00 AM

May 2015
It helps me deal with my depressive periods.
IshitatesoOct 17, 2020 3:07 AM
Oct 17, 2020 3:06 AM
Jul 2018
I watched episode 18 of Re:ZERO and I was sure it was the cream of the crop of anime episodes in general. I then went straight to the source material and raced up to Arc 3 chapter 52. The strokes of a genius were glowing with each word and I understood Tappei Nagatsuki's themes much better. It contributed greatly to me personally. It helped me clear up a lot of fog in my life and I started picking up philosophy with a sprinkle of logic on the side. I'm currently in a much better position than I was before reading the WN.

Mgka said:
If you see Anime and you don't learned one or two lessons of life then you never have seen Anime

I agree with this. You haven't watched a (good) anime if you didn't understand it's message.
Oct 17, 2020 3:19 AM
Jul 2018
I do deal with a shitty mental health, and anime definitely help me a lot. Because good anime makes you learn things, but also relating to characters who either deal with the same problems as you, or simply inspire you is really helpeful too.
Oct 17, 2020 4:45 AM
Jul 2020
Nothing really. Anime just cools me down. Though, I never really had mental health issues lol.
Oct 17, 2020 12:59 PM

Apr 2017
Romeo no Aoi Sora really cured my depression, it was so beautiful and emotional like damn..

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Oct 17, 2020 1:05 PM

Jan 2009
well as long as youre not addicted to it that will make you dysfunctional then its all fine and a source of entertainment at least
Oct 17, 2020 1:09 PM
Sep 2020
I
S-quare22 said:
Romeo no Aoi Sora really cured my depression, it was so beautiful and emotional like damn..
I to loved that show, was sad when it ended
Oct 17, 2020 1:14 PM

Apr 2017
Zentrix-Anime said:
I
S-quare22 said:

Wow, it's really rare to find someone who watched it. Too bad I can't see your list or your fav anime since you only use this acc for forums :(

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Oct 17, 2020 1:49 PM
Sep 2020
S-quare22 said:
Zentrix-Anime said:
I

Wow, it's really rare to find someone who watched it. Too bad I can't see your list or your fav anime since you only use this acc for forums :(
My bad, I will say i've seen most of the shows from that studio and my interests vary across all genres
Oct 17, 2020 1:56 PM

Aug 2015
It made me a fucking degenerate, what can I say.

Jokes aside is a hobby, so I guess it makes me stay cool and entertained most of the time. I used to watch a lot more when I was in school, but it's always fun to start a new season or show.
Oct 17, 2020 2:33 PM
Jul 2018
Anime have made me happy few minutes does that count
Oct 17, 2020 2:49 PM

Sep 2020
it's given me something to look forward to on bad days, especially when a show i like is airing and i can think about watching new episodes. that's basically what kept me going through some of the roughest parts of college. i've never been able to use it as escapism, i have such a shitty imagination that fantasizing about stuff just doesn't happen for me even if i sit there and consciously try to. so thankfully i don't have to worry about ending up relying on that.

watching some goofier shows with silly power of friendship messages has probably changed my outlook on life at least a bit, too. on the other hand, fuckin. edgy dark bullshit has also been cathartic and given me things to sit and ruminate over.

i think i'd be in the same place, mentally, as i am now without anime - i would've found something else to occupy my time without it. but i'm glad its been there to give me a pick me up or make me think about things.
Oct 17, 2020 2:57 PM

May 2016
It makes me jack off 3 times a day if that counts.
Oct 17, 2020 3:18 PM
Apr 2020
Anime helps me stay motivated and is a good refresher, if ever I find myself feeling down or feel anxious or worried about something and would like to forget that emotional state, I would just watch anime :D
Oct 17, 2020 3:46 PM

Feb 2020
Some anime brighten my mood on bad days and some have taught me a lesson. I‘m watching Anime for 20 years already and grew up with it so I guess it did affect my personality. I never rest had mental health issues tho.

What I can say is that it did affect my sense of humor. The humor of the people around me and mine don’t match at all.
Oct 17, 2020 4:06 PM
Sep 2020
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
exercise both arms evenly, i'm serious you can get a hernia
Oct 17, 2020 4:11 PM

May 2016
Zentrix-Anime said:
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
exercise both arms evenly, i'm serious you can get a hernia

I don't think I've ever masturbated with my left arm in my life.
Oct 17, 2020 4:13 PM

Jul 2013
One of the guys from my high school recently started watching anime. Now he's posting about how Naruto changed his life

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Oct 17, 2020 4:15 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
More than just saved my life. Without Love Live I would have been a dead thirteen year old who was forgotten five years ago. Just keeping it real and frank. In fact, this MAL account wouldn't have been created because I would have been dead.
Who am I now? A person who wants to find himself out to help others through his rather upsetting stories. One of the biggest steps is being absolutely up-front with the nature of things.

Oh, I also firmly believe that anime is more than just the base level and basic story structure that it presents, and with taking apart the structure without any infliction of emotion (outside of passion of taking apart that structure) comes a second world beyond just what is happening with the characters. Sometimes I don't find it, most of the time I do, because I watch anime to think and reflect. On a base level, I'll have some form of enjoyment, but on a level that describes intricacies + structure such as ongoing themes is where I really think that I find that enjoyment. That is why I'm always glad that people enjoy things I don't, because chances are that they're finding things that I'm not, and the fact that perspective chances from person to person is not only phenomenal and amazing, but so cool, because as humans it's amazing to have individuality and that not every person is like me.
I feel like most people come to entertainment to be entertained and escape thinking, so I think it's a pretty good thing to have an open mind on what you're viewing.
So, yah, TL;DR I really like it when I find more than just the base-level story in an anime, and I'm glad that not everyone in the world is a clone of me ladadadada lol
ChartTopper60Oct 17, 2020 4:32 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2020 4:28 PM

Aug 2009
I mean, I enjoy watching it when I actually take the time to watch something, but that's about it.

Oct 17, 2020 4:41 PM

Apr 2020
Anime has helped me go through school but I stay up laate watching a show so I get less sleep. Right not its almost 3am for me but luckily im on holiday so it's fine.
Wanna play 8-ball?
Oct 17, 2020 4:42 PM

Apr 2020
Anime has helped me go through school but I stay up laate watching a show so I get less sleep. Right not its almost 3am for me but luckily im on holiday so it's fine.
Wanna play 8-ball?
Oct 17, 2020 4:53 PM

Mar 2016
There are a handful of shows that have changed my outlook and mindset of life for the better over the years, so I'd say it's been affecting me positively :)
"It wasn't your fault. You do not have to carry that burden."

Violet Evergarden

Oct 17, 2020 4:55 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Not sure if I would be a better person if I never experienced anime, but currently its one of the only things I have fun with so I would say positive.
Oct 17, 2020 6:01 PM

Feb 2020
I now beat my meat watching animated girl waving they massive cock around, isn't that great?
Oct 17, 2020 11:45 PM
Jul 2018
The few hair that's left of me hasn't changed to pink yet
Oct 17, 2020 11:49 PM

Jul 2020
Positive effect:Absolutely.It distracts me from boredom.
Negative effect:I am now studying less because of watching anime.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Oct 17, 2020 11:53 PM

May 2014
I have severe anxiety and anime definitely works as a distraction. Also gets me through during boring zoom meetings.
Oct 18, 2020 6:06 PM

Aug 2012
I´m messed up since my childhood, so anime distracts me. I won´t lie, it´s a way of escapism. I think my life would be miserable without it, since it made me interested in stuff I´d never discover in other way. It expanded my language skills and literary tastes. It also broke my music bubble, which I´m very thankful for. I guess I could only point to anxiety and panic attacks depending of the content, but this goes away soon.
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
Mar 18, 2021 2:42 PM
Dec 2020
I know a person who become a different person because of watching to much anime(he started to go insane). His parents send him to a rehabilitation clinic that helped him psychologically to recover.
On one hand, the movies you watch may make you more creative. For example, a study evaluated young children watching some scenes of Harry Potter and found that compared with other children who have been exposed to other movies, they scored much higher on the creative thinking test. On the other hand, your movie choices may make you more aggressive. This has been proven time and time again in experiments involving subjecting people to violence and then evaluating their subsequent violent attitudes and behaviors.
doncarleoneMar 19, 2021 8:44 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

43 by Toooooooooohru »»
1 minute ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

71 by AzafuseKingTora »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

25 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

21 by Vendicator »»
18 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

17 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.