Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 16, 2020 5:59 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Avan is such a weird guy but he's got some absurd strength.

Dai is still such a kid this episode. I think he's got a long way to go to really become a hero. I find his training session rather amusing. Gotta give credit to the kid for trying hard though.
Oct 16, 2020 6:30 PM

Sep 2018
Next ep is Hadlar's debut. I LOVEEEE this pacing. Ep 5 will be awesome!!!
Oct 16, 2020 7:49 PM

Jan 2020
Nice episode once again, lovin it.
Oct 16, 2020 8:03 PM

Jul 2016
Good episode, I just don't like too much the rate of the beginning, but otherwise was good. I really felt the trainning part of this episode at a good rate, so no conplain there, I am also expecting too much for the Hadora appearance.
Oct 16, 2020 8:11 PM

Jan 2009
thats a very fast pace training arc lol next week is the end of the training or their training will be interrupted should i say by the Dark Lord

lets see if Dai can master cutting all earth, sea and air next week
Oct 16, 2020 8:19 PM

Sep 2018
I really don't like these "censored blood". Dai no Daibouken has many bloody intense fights, please don't censor them Toei, use real blood!!!

Oct 16, 2020 8:32 PM

Jul 2016
Silverstorm92 said:
I really don't like these "censored blood". Dai no Daibouken has many bloody intense fights, please don't censor them Toei, use real blood!!!

It's not censored, Hadlar and the demons have black blood. Also, in the 1991 anime the blood was blue with some kind of glitter effect, actually seems more like a kind of blue fire in that adaptation.
Oct 16, 2020 8:33 PM
Jan 2018
Episode was great. It was paced perfectly and felt brisk. There's a lot of little things that they adjusted that helps reinforce things like characterization for later but it's pretty much spot on with the manga as a whole. Super happy with the work they're doing.

Silverstorm92 said:

https://i.imgur.com/irI5ajp.jpg

The 1991 version used glowing blue fluid with tinges of red for this scene so it's not like they used blood in that version either. I actually really like the change they used for this because the monster disappears too making it feel more like a an otherworldly monster though I guess it technically is. It also reminds me of a fantasy game too, lol

And like the other post mentioned, their blood is supposed to be black. Brass mentioned it earlier in the episode and it's the same line as in the manga.
Oct 16, 2020 8:42 PM

Sep 2018
GoshujinsamaHID said:
Silverstorm92 said:

It's not censored, Hadlar and the demons have black blood. Also, in the 1991 anime the blood was blue with some kind of glitter effect, actually seems more like a kind of blue fire in that adaptation.
ReiahlTLI said:
Episode was great. It was paced perfectly and felt brisk. There's a lot of little things that they adjusted that helps reinforce things like characterization for later but it's pretty much spot on with the manga as a whole. Super happy with the work they're doing.

Silverstorm92 said:

https://i.imgur.com/irI5ajp.jpg

The 1991 version used glowing blue fluid with tinges of red for this scene so it's not like they used blood in that version either. I actually really like the change they used for this because the monster disappears too making it feel more like a an otherworldly monster though I guess it technically is. It also reminds me of a fantasy game too, lol

And like the other post mentioned, their blood is supposed to be black. Brass mentioned it earlier in the episode and it's the same line as in the manga.

I don't watch the old anime. Thanks for correcting me :)
Oct 16, 2020 10:02 PM

Jun 2015
My goodness, they really nailed Popp's and Avan's voice. Very close to the originals. But Avan's fight is not going to be in a cave this time, huh.
And geez now Hadlar is coming up. Faster pace indeed.
Oct 16, 2020 10:14 PM

Oct 2017
Wow sensei turned into a dragon or was he a dragon who turned into a human I wonder.
Oct 16, 2020 11:04 PM

Sep 2020
Enjoyed this ep a lot with Avan finally making his appearance

...and Poop too I guess

If you're having crippling depression, hopefully our videos will send you to another world and have you reborn as an isekai protagonist
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc8rSgYdcdZUSXXqVJhNwLw
Oct 16, 2020 11:31 PM

Aug 2015
So I´ve been getting the references of the spells, since I have played a few DQ games before, but I don´t remember transforming into a dragon to use attacks, so I guess that´s something only he does. On a side note, is really cool that Dai openly says he likes the princess.

Avan gives me some heavy Merlin vibes, same voice and behavior.
Oct 17, 2020 1:07 AM

Mar 2018
Amazing Episode can't wait for next
Oct 17, 2020 1:58 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Hah, its about time another characters appeared. Its Popp and his master, the agent of justice xD. Surely their appearance kinda funny. But, beside their appearance they looked so strong so far. Even Avan had a strong light spell that could prevent the darkness power to posessed the monster on the island. Wow, such a massive power! Popp even had a potential too, with his magic, could burn that Gargoyle in an instant. However, like Avan's said, his lack of determination kinda made him stuck below the average and never surpassed his weakness. However, by seeing Dai intenses training, it seemed, slowly, Popp might realized his weakness as soon as possible. The motivation indeed became a massive answer to be stronger.

Dai did a quick learnt by taking a special hard training from Avan. A lot of various lesson he had, from strengthened his physical, did a lot of combatant technique already launched, slicing a huge rock, a sword play in the afternoon, then a little battle against Avan himself at the end of the second day, slowly raising up his combat's level. Two days in, Dai already changed himself and mastered the basic technique of sword, forced Avan to show Dai his special attack and told Dai to mastering it in a flash. Avan's Strash, thats its name! First stages easily passed, an Earth Slice. Now, the second stages Dai needed to defeat Avan's again. Its interesting to see how Dai could fight and defeated Avan, but on the Dragon's form now. Lets see the next to see the result!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Oct 17, 2020 2:22 AM

Aug 2013
Pakumen- said:
So I´ve been getting the references of the spells, since I have played a few DQ games before, but I don´t remember transforming into a dragon to use attacks, so I guess that´s something only he does. On a side note, is really cool that Dai openly says he likes the princess.

Avan gives me some heavy Merlin vibes, same voice and behavior.

It’s not a very popular spell, but it’s always there.

https://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Puff!

If you played Dragon Quest Monsters you might recognize it by its older name, BeDragon.
Oct 17, 2020 2:42 AM

Dec 2009
Now I know why the upcoming game is called Infinity Strash
Oct 17, 2020 2:50 AM

Sep 2019
Avan’s dragon form is looking good.
Oct 17, 2020 3:09 AM
Mar 2018
Am I forgetting something? Why did Dai say he needs to train to get stronger to save princess Leona? Did something else happen to her that I'm not remembering. I thought he saved her last episode and then they said their goodbyes until they meet again. She doesn't need to be saved. Or is it because of the dark lord being back? He has to save her from the dark lord?
Colors143Oct 17, 2020 3:21 AM
Oct 17, 2020 3:10 AM

Sep 2018
I'm very glad that these first eps get many positive reviews though first two arcs are the worst of whole manga. The story will get much better from Flazzard Arc and 100x better from Baran Arc onwards... Can't wait to watch those parts being animated with this great animation!!!
Oct 17, 2020 3:36 AM

Sep 2018
Colors143 said:
Am I forgetting something? Why did Dai say he needs to train to get stronger to save princess Leona? Did something else happen to her that I'm not remembering. I thought he saved her last episode and then they said their goodbyes until they meet again. She doesn't need to be saved. Or is it because of the dark lord being back? He has to save her from the dark lord?

The dark lord has an army of powerful demons... He wants to conquer earth, invade all countries in the world and he is doing well. Leona is the queen of Papnika Kingdom and it is being invaded by his demonic army.
Oct 17, 2020 3:39 AM

Nov 2017
This show is much better than thought it was going to be. Honestly I haven't played the games but I still feel like I have the important information given to me.
I'm late because I was watching anime and forgot...
Oct 17, 2020 3:40 AM
Oct 2016
Avan has arrived! The hero trainer who's got some wicked skills himself has come to the Island to train our young Dai. Classic shonen training kind of episode. Dai is being put through the ringer to get his skills up to snuff with the demon Lord returning. Avan came at just the right time to stop Dai monster friends from rampaging. Setting that giant sealing spell. Popp is a cool dude too. A bit more weary of Avan training since he's been under his wing the past year. But still knows the value Avan can bring when he trains someone. Popp can handle some advanced magic too, something Dai isn't too good at. While little Dai showed just how amazing he as with that sword, even a cheap one Avan threw his way. Loved the progress we could see from Dai in such a short time. He's a natural with the blade. Now to see him face Avan himself whilst transformed into that dragon!
Oct 17, 2020 6:36 AM

Aug 2013
A dragon with glasses lol.

Avan is an interesting character and I can't wait to learn more about him.

And it was nice seeing Dai taking the training seriously.

Oct 17, 2020 7:18 AM

May 2012
In the original anime, Avan transformed to dragon in the 5th episode

With this pace we will get to Baran arc much earlier. Can't wait !!!
Oct 17, 2020 7:52 AM

Jan 2013
Silverstorm92 said:

GoshujinsamaHID said:

Correct. Here's how the scene was in the original.
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Oct 17, 2020 7:55 AM

Mar 2020
Training time with a tutor that can turn himself into a dragon......with glasses...............nice.

Well Dai is on his way to becoming a hero and we finally get to meet the second main character of the story, Popp and nothing else really happens besides his training.

Ok episode :)
Oct 17, 2020 8:01 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
So the Dark Lord has returned and is causing the monsters to go out of control. Luckily Avan and Popp arrives on Dai's island to train Dai on how to fight like a hero after calming the monsters on the island. Avan puts Dai through a series of exercises and he's getting stronger everyday. Dai finally learns the Avan strike technique and his final test is to beat Avan who has turned into a dragon. Seeing Avan turn into a dragon reminds me of when Vegeta turn into a Great Ape for the first time, It was that powerful.
Oct 17, 2020 9:14 AM

Aug 2015
il-Palazzo said:

It’s not a very popular spell, but it’s always there.

https://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Puff!

If you played Dragon Quest Monsters you might recognize it by its older name, BeDragon.

Now that rings the bell. It makes sense then that I recognize the old name. Thanks a lot for letting me know :D
Oct 17, 2020 9:37 AM

May 2019
z00nex said:
Avan’s dragon form is looking good.

I completely agree. I liked episode but I think the cliffhanger is nothing but hype! Next episode might be the best yet.
Oct 17, 2020 11:01 AM

Jul 2017
This was an okay episode. Better than last week's for me. Nice seeing some training and lessons here for Dai to comprehend and grow from.
Oct 17, 2020 12:15 PM

Apr 2018
thepath said:
In the original anime, Avan transformed to dragon in the 5th episode

With this pace we will get to Baran arc much earlier. Can't wait !!!

This kinda feels like a "Brotherhood" version of Dragon Quest. I hope we keep a fast pace until the Baran arc and then we get to enjoy the rest of the story that was never animated at a slower pace.

As an old fan of the first series I'm enjoying this one very much!
Oct 17, 2020 1:15 PM
Jun 2017
This episode reminded me so much Dragon Ball and the training of Goku and Kuririn with Kame Sennin especially with the exercise of the rock !
The only inconvenient I found was the pace at the beginning of the episode, but except that it was a great episode :)
I'm so happy that Toei decided to remake the series
Oct 17, 2020 1:43 PM

Jul 2020
Nice episode. I'm glad that Dai takes Avan's training serious.

It was only a cheap sword, Imagine what a real legendary sword attack would look like
Oct 17, 2020 2:25 PM

Mar 2010
damn the training was just getting good.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 17, 2020 2:29 PM

Aug 2018
Another good episode and I liked how Dai takes Avan's training serious and Dai master everything in two days while Popp didn't take the training seriously even though the dark lord has return Popp is just relaxing and at the end of the episode when Avan yelled out loud Puff I was like WtF but thank god he only transformed into a dragon with glasses
Overall 7 out of 10
Oct 17, 2020 2:33 PM

Sep 2007
The pacing is quite good so far. Next episode, things will start to get serious. My only little concern is really about the music that is not at the level of that of the original series.
For the censor, i'm waiting for the result of attacks on important characters.
Oct 17, 2020 3:51 PM

Jan 2010
Popp was saying that is impossible to become an hero in a week. It seems that things are looking good for dai in only 3 days of traning, it helps that he is hard working and has a lot of talent.
Oct 18, 2020 12:33 AM

Feb 2012
Inuki said:
My only little concern is really about the music that is not at the level of that of the original series.

exact same feeling. Everything is fine. pacing, animation, etc... that's perfect
But the music... big no no. no offense to the composer but that's nowhere near to the first series. I don't have that epicness feeling like before.
Oct 18, 2020 3:38 AM
Nov 2015
Silverstorm92 said:

Are you blind ? / Bot or something /

That monster have black blood.
Oct 18, 2020 4:31 AM

Sep 2018
redcobra said:

Are you blind ? / Bot or something /

That monster have black blood.

First, I only read manga, manga only has black and white colors lol
Second, Demons' blood in manga is described as Blue but I still think the monsters from Human's world (surface) should have red blood, only Makai's monsters' blood is blue but maybe I am wrong :))
Please don't insult like that lmao, so impolite, kiddo :)
Oct 18, 2020 11:25 AM
Aug 2020
We've gotten to the point where two of my favorite characters are introduced: Popp and Avan. Dai also gets in intense but amusing training this episode too. All in all, pretty good ep. I just feel so happy to see my favorite characters come back in HD again lmao
Oct 18, 2020 4:38 PM
Oct 2015
Is this show geared towards little kids?
Oct 18, 2020 5:00 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Karmafan56 said:

Yes. Its a kids show, but that shouldn't stop you from watching this show if you like it.
Oct 19, 2020 11:26 AM

Sep 2007
Karmafan56 said:

Well the level of violence is like Saint Seiya or DBZ and YuYu Hakusho to stay within the original series airing period. Each person has a different approach to blood. So i wouldn't recommend it for little kids who are easily impressed.
InukiOct 19, 2020 11:32 AM
Oct 19, 2020 12:55 PM

May 2018
1 episode in and I already love male Juvia haha :3
Oct 19, 2020 8:55 PM

Oct 2008
Avan Strash! oh man! that's the same attack move of Dante! nice!
5/5.

Oct 20, 2020 3:24 AM
Sep 2020
Silverstorm92 said:
I'm very glad that these first eps get many positive reviews though first two arcs are the worst of whole manga. The story will get much better from Flazzard Arc and 100x better from Baran Arc onwards... Can't wait to watch those parts being animated with this great animation!!!
For someone who's been enjoying this show, reading this just made my day
Oct 20, 2020 11:16 AM

Dec 2009
Omg.. this show is just great
Oct 25, 2020 12:27 AM

Mar 2019
Gotta say, seeing Avan after so many years after watching the original anime and reading the compete manga some years later, bringed a tear to my eye.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» NEW ANIME PROJECT CONFIRMED

SOSYBOI - Mar 11, 2023

12 by Illyricus »»
Apr 8, 6:53 AM

Poll: » Choose the best arc(s) in Dai no Daibouken!

DragonKnight92 - Oct 21, 2022

10 by Illyricus »»
Apr 8, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 32 Discussion

Stark700 - May 14, 2021

35 by Teirayo »»
Mar 30, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2020

132 by MonkeyDKyle »»
Mar 27, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2020

50 by Teirayo »»
Mar 27, 7:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.