Forum Settings
Forums

mal-badges.net added "Mal-badges is closing" note

New
Aug 16, 2020 2:12 PM

Apr 2019
The maintainer / author of mal-badges.net has added a note to his page which announces termination of the service by September 17th, 2020 and asks for donations. I just want to share this information, not forestall an official statement.

http://mal-badges.net/the-end

Aug 17, 2020 2:16 AM

Jan 2020
Will the owner release his code? When it came to the original Malgraph shutting down in 2015, the code was picked up by another user. It wouldn't be abnormal for something similar to happen here I think.
Aug 17, 2020 2:25 AM

Jan 2009
indochina2 said:
Will the owner release his code? When it came to the original Malgraph shutting down in 2015, the code was picked up by another user. It wouldn't be abnormal for something similar to happen here I think.

agreed that would be the best way to continue this service or i mean somebody can continue this service because of that
Aug 17, 2020 2:32 AM

Jan 2020
deg said:
indochina2 said:

agreed that would be the best way to continue this service or i mean somebody can continue this service because of that

I third this. I think it's a great idea for the owner to release the code so that someone can keep maintaining the website if they want.
Aug 17, 2020 2:35 AM

Nov 2018
IrrelevantGuy said:
deg said:

I third this. I think it's a great idea for the owner to release the code so that someone can keep maintaining the website if they want.

+1 here. I think it'd be great for the site to get an upgrade and possibly add more features (like another badge level or more achievements or whatnot) if someone skilled took over.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Aug 17, 2020 2:36 AM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
Never even heard of this website until today. Quite a shame
I also think the code should be released. Achievements like this would make me want to watch anime thrice as much honestly
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2020 2:40 AM
Jul 2019
Rarely used this site but it's great to see how far I've come as an anime fan.

I agree that creator should release the code so someone can take his place and keep it running while also adding more features and achievements to make it more engaging.
Aug 17, 2020 2:43 AM

Jun 2019
_cjessop19_ said:
IrrelevantGuy said:

+1 here. I think it'd be great for the site to get an upgrade and possibly add more features (like another badge level or more achievements or whatnot) if someone skilled took over.

+1 I'd love to see more features and extra badges, a bit like the achievements section on mal graph, another site I adore using and recording my anime on.
Aug 17, 2020 3:04 AM

Jun 2016
23feanor said:
_cjessop19_ said:

+1 I'd love to see more features and extra badges, a bit like the achievements section on mal graph, another site I adore using and recording my anime on.

+1. I don't personally use this service but that seems like the best thing to do in this case.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 17, 2020 3:23 AM

Nov 2019
Theo1899 said:
23feanor said:

+1. I don't personally use this service but that seems like the best thing to do in this case.

+1. I have nothing to say in particular, but the chain shouldn't stop.
sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's
Aug 17, 2020 3:49 AM

Feb 2010
Well, I didn't use that site much because for the most part it just encouraged fake lists, as you can see in the top of the rankings where most are probably not legit. Also I just went there and updated my list and now I'm #1 with almost twice as much as #2? It seems to be bugging out. (edit after updating again it went back to normal, idk what happened).

But it is kinda fun to check once in a while and if the issue with obviously fake stats padding accounts not showing up in the toplist would be taken care of it could be a genuinely fun feature. It'd be a bit of a shame if it went away forever, although to be honest I personally wouldn't muss it very much. I'm much bigger on MALGraph because it is actually useful on top of having achievements and stats.
AlcoholicideAug 17, 2020 3:57 AM
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 17, 2020 5:28 AM

Apr 2019
PraiseTheSun123 said:
Theo1899 said:

This reply summarizes excellently why there is a problem. Let me summarize: Somebody (who is not me) with high technical skills should take over the cost of 100-200€ p/a (from his own money) and also start so work and add new features (in his spare time for free). Feeling of entitlement to free service because you posted a "+1", anybody? Where are the "I pledge 10 USD/EUR" postings?

If this is the best reply of the community, the service is already dead.

Aug 17, 2020 6:01 AM

Jun 2020
Oh that's too bad; I was actually planning on syncing my list to it (I think that's how it works?) and start collecting achievements. It was something I was always going to do once I made a MAL account. Sad to see it go so soon ;-;
Aug 17, 2020 7:42 AM

Nov 2019
inim said:
PraiseTheSun123 said:

This reply summarizes excellently why there is a problem. Let me summarize: Somebody (who is not me) with high technical skills should take over the cost of 100-200€ p/a (from his own money) and also start so work and add new features (in his spare time for free). Feeling of entitlement to free service because you posted a "+1", anybody? Where are the "I pledge 10 USD/EUR" postings?

If this is the best reply of the community, the service is already dead.

Whoa, stop overanalyzing a reply that was never intended to mean something related to the topic we're discussing (if that wasn't obvious enough).

And as for me, there are simply more important things to spent my money. Especially if you live in suchs countries like mine's where there's is a inflation of 2688670.0% (which I doubt) and all you can use your money is in trying to barely survive the week. I would for certain won't ask my family which it's economically strugling every single day with money for a website that I don't even use to begin with.

And this is something that actually bothers me, since you said "Feeling of entitlement to free service because you posted a "+1", anybody?" ignoring the fact that my reply is completely unrelated to the topic (just read the second half of my sentence and it's crystal clear), and ignoring the fact that, as I've mentioned before, I've, and probably never will use that website. As of now, my last update on that website was the 20.04.2020, and it's probably the only one. I'm simply not an habitual user neither a donator of mal-badges.net to demand something or to even care about this, and I don't.

"If this is the best reply of the community, the service is already dead."

If you ignore the whole context of the message, the situation where some people live in, the fact that not everyone has even used the site and assuming that everyone who's an anime fan has to donate (completely disregarding whatever I just wrote). Then yes, the service is already dead.
sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's
Aug 17, 2020 8:11 AM

Apr 2019
PraiseTheSun123 said:
inim said:
This reply summarizes excellently why there is a problem. Let me summarize: Somebody (who is not me) with high technical skills should take over the cost of 100-200€ p/a (from his own money) and also start so work and add new features (in his spare time for free). Feeling of entitlement to free service because you posted a "+1", anybody? Where are the "I pledge 10 USD/EUR" postings? If this is the best reply of the community, the service is already dead.
Whoa, stop overanalyzing

Please don't take my blurb personal, it isn't meant that way. There are many sound reasons to hope the service survives, but to not be able to contribute to that personally. I'm well aware that the MAL community isn't filthy rich, many of us watch this much anime precisely because of that.

I'm a software professional myself, and over time have adopted (and actively maintain) four abandoned open source projects already. That's why I'm not shouting "here here here" myself. Adopting a piece of code comes with a price in terms of time, brain cycles and money. It's not very rewarding so I can completely understand why this author wants to phase out his commitment. There are many options to get this into a maintained mode, e.g. integration with other projects such as GRAPH, a suddenly appearing enthusiastic volunteer, or simply money.

The point is this: There already is a host, there already is that software, and there already is a volunteer. All it takes to keep everything "as is" is money. No skills, time, or management overhead required. Just cash. At least enough cash to buy another year of service, so a smooth transition (e.g. open source release if the author agrees) and setting up a new hosting and maintenance model can take place. Because 4 weeks is pretty short for that.

Given I can afford to contribute to that, I pledge 10 EUR if this thread reaches a total amount of 100 EUR/USD/CHF. This buys the needed time, and nobody needs to apologize if he for personal reason can't or doesn't want to contribute. I'm a heavy user of the service, so I'm in.

Aug 17, 2020 8:29 AM

Nov 2019
inim said:
Please don't take my blurb personal, it isn't meant that way.

My mistake then. I just wanted to make sure my stance on this was clear.

And well I see your point, it's just that I misunderstood what you wrote. Anyways, have a nice day.
sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's
Aug 17, 2020 8:44 AM

May 2018
Great!
Now I can put a fake high rank picture and nobody would be able to check if I am lying or not...muahahaha!

Wait, I don't actually care.
Aug 18, 2020 2:08 PM

Nov 2018
Can we see if there has been some money donated? I would be willing to help out with server costs, but would like some kind of transparency.

I'm currently on level on mal-badges!
Aug 18, 2020 2:14 PM
Jul 2018
alshu said:
Great!
Now I can put a fake high rank picture and nobody would be able to check if I am lying or not...muahahaha!

Wait, I don't actually care.

I can also brag about downloading rare series with.... 0 seeds to boost my list capacity!
Aug 18, 2020 2:25 PM

May 2009
I don't use this, but it's still a shame to see it go.

I'm neither a user nor wealthy so I'll probably stay out of this, but I'm happy to see there's interest in continuing it.

Another possibility might be for MAL to integrate that third-party site's features into a set of first-party features or otherwise develop their own. I think Anime-Planet has a set of chieves (or whatever) kinda like this, for what it's worth, so there's precedent. But I don't know anything about the cost or hassle of doing such a thing.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 18, 2020 2:33 PM

May 2018
petran79 said:
with.... 0 seeds to boost my list capacity!

That's the Rare Collectable Just Out Of Reach Frustration badge.
Aug 18, 2020 8:04 PM

Oct 2010
This turned out into a money discussion. Well, I didn't use the site that much, only going there once a month or so to update my list for a few seconds.
Hope it doesn't close down, I see it has users/fans.
Aug 19, 2020 6:33 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
This thread has been moved to the correct board.

"Anime/Manga specific threads should go into their respective sub-boards."
Aug 22, 2020 6:04 PM

Jun 2007
I hope that the site can be saved, and I'd be willing to put down $30-40 or whatever is needed (within some reason, so maybe not "everything I've ever sunk into server costs") to keep it open another year until a more permanent community-based solution can be found. Over the past few months, I've enjoyed finding ways to increase my score there, whether it's finding "high-leverage" titles that fit many different genres, or just getting out of my comfort zone to watch titles I wouldn't have watched otherwise -- whether that's pre-1999/post-2016, or genres like Police, Thriller, Horror, Dementia, and others that aren't "maxed out" the way Comedy/Action/Ecchi/Romance/School/Harem/etc. are.

Even if some top-ranking lists are faked, the "leaderboard" aspect of individual achievements is addictive. Anime.plus also encourages the watching of less-popular genres, but it doesn't have the same community measuring-stick component. Of course, even if mal-badges does shut down, I can go on watching the titles I've listed on a spreadsheet to meet individual year/genre/type goals, but it won't be the same.

Maybe I should donate some amount, with a message saying, "If you'll keep it open, I'll chip in the rest of the ~$110 you need," although I can understand if the creator just doesn't want to deal with maintaining the site anymore, regardless of the financial situation.
Aug 23, 2020 11:26 AM
Mar 2020
The message has been deleted, does that mean that the site is saved?
Aug 23, 2020 8:32 PM

Oct 2012
You guys realize that server costs are monthly and not a one-time fee, right?
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Aug 24, 2020 12:06 AM

Apr 2019
katsucats said:
Annual, not monthly. The service is not compute or memory intensive. My own VM with 4 dedicated cores costs about 10 EUR per month, and should be more than enough. I doubt his cost is higher.

Aug 24, 2020 12:34 PM

Oct 2012
inim said:
katsucats said:
Annual, not monthly. The service is not compute or memory intensive. My own VM with 4 dedicated cores costs about 10 EUR per month, and should be more than enough. I doubt his cost is higher.
You're probably right. It's still a continuing cost though. Are there people that would actually pay for something like this? Someone could set up a Patreon lol. Isn't MALgraph already superior to this?
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Aug 29, 2020 3:47 PM

May 2020
ThisIsImpossible said:
sadly no
http://mal-badges.net/the-end
┏────────┓
WHY
Is HoneyComeBear so Underrated?

─────────
┗─────────┛
Aug 29, 2020 3:57 PM

Apr 2019
AntiMoba said:
ThisIsImpossible said:
sadly no http://mal-badges.net/the-end
The link to the message was deleted, though. I interpret that as "as good as deleted". Transparency isn't really great here, the author minimizes communication, unfortunately. It's his decision and for sure minimizes the amount of work he has with the site. There are many things which could be done, such as a donation counter, re-opening the page's MAL club, bug tracker (I would report half a dozen instantly), and in a perfect world, a code release.

For myself I came to an interpretation, but my guess is as good as yours. The site was saved for the time being by one or more donors. This triggers my pledge and I'll send my 10 bucks into what essentially is a black hole, but one which keeps the site running more likely if fed with money. Anything else is "I have a dream" and is outside my sphere of influence.

Sep 1, 2020 4:04 AM

Nov 2018
Cut them some slack. I messaged the owner, that is waht he replied:

Hi,

Pepole have already supported mal-badges so it's not closing anymore but if you still want to support it, you can find the donation button here : http://mal-badges.net/help-me

Thanks for your help :)

- Now everybody that was sad about closing, please put some money into your words. Even 1$ is a dollar :)

Nov 3, 2021 1:10 PM

Nov 2018
KanchiMoe said:
gumpibaueli said:
Cut them some slack. I messaged the owner, that is waht he replied:

Hi,

Pepole have already supported mal-badges so it's not closing anymore but if you still want to support it, you can find the donation button here : http://mal-badges.net/help-me

Curiously, how did you contact them? I've been wanting to get in touch but never found how to.

Actually pretty easy, there is a Mal badges club, and they have it in their profile that they are the creator.
Their name is Jikan_ here on MAL – but be nice, it is just a hobby for them, if you need some changes at least donate to the project so they can keep the servers running.

Nov 3, 2021 7:25 PM

Feb 2018
thats sad bro, mal should have its own badge thing, I don't know what it was but it should have it
Dec 4, 2022 1:28 PM

Oct 2019
aaaand it's dead...

ok... who's going to take one for the team and make the replacement?
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Dec 4, 2022 1:39 PM

Jan 2017
Damn got my hopes up that MAL was going to close, guess Christmas never delivers after all.
Dec 4, 2022 2:34 PM
Jul 2021
Cneq said:
Damn got my hopes up that MAL was going to close, guess Christmas never delivers after all.

So what are you doing here? Leave then ... No one will miss you. So go on skedaddle.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Dec 4, 2022 2:39 PM

Jan 2017
Dawizz said:
Cneq said:

So what are you doing here? Leave then ... No one will miss you. So go on skedaddle.
who even are you bro, everyone would miss me including myself and only myself
Dec 4, 2022 2:46 PM
Jul 2021
Cneq said:
Dawizz said:

No one will miss you, skedaddle. Who are you again?
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Dec 4, 2022 3:03 PM

Jan 2017
Dawizz said:
Cneq said:

No one will miss you, skedaddle. Who are you again?
I'm Cneq. Who is this skedaddle person and why will he not be missed?

More topics from this board

Poll: » school uniform or no school uniform which is better? ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 21

92 by dreamingneon »»
31 minutes ago

Poll: » thoughts on social experiments?

deg - 4 hours ago

2 by deg »»
32 minutes ago

» Is fanart cheating?

spaceslut - Mar 5, 2023

42 by dreamingneon »»
33 minutes ago

» do you like the fandom of your fave musical artists ??

ame - Apr 17

18 by dreamingneon »»
36 minutes ago

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - 7 hours ago

11 by juanlqr »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.