Forum Settings
Forums

MAPPA Announces 'Taisou Zamurai' Original TV Anime for Fall 2020

New
Aug 13, 2020 9:58 AM

Jan 2017
The Seiyuu to Yo Asobi program on AbemaTV announced an original television anime titled Taisou Zamurai (Gymnastics Samurai) from animation studio MAPPA on Thursday. Aniplex opened an official website simultaneously, revealing the cast, staff, an announcement promo, and a teaser visual (pictured).

Taisou Zamurai reunites the main staff members from MAPPA's Fall 2018 anime Zombieland Saga. The anime will begin airing on October 11 at 1:30 a.m. on the NUMAnimation programming block on TV Asahi and its 24 affiliate networks. AbemaTV will also stream the show.

Synopsis
Year 2002. Japan's gymnastics world was once strong. Former Japanese representative Shoutarou Aragaki (29), who devoted his time to gymnastics, was unable to perform as expected. Even so, after training on a daily basis, his coach Amakusa recommends Shoutarou to retire. However, the fate of the Aragaki family will change significantly due to a certain "encounter."

Cast
Joutarou Aragaki: Daisuke Namikawa (Garo: Honoo no Kokuin)
Noriyuki Amakusa: Kenyuu Horiuchi (Dorohedoro)
Rei Aragaki: Rina Honizumi (Kenja no Mago)
Leonardo: Kensho Ono (Vinland Saga)
Tetsuo Minamino: Yuki Kaji (Arslan Senki (TV))

Staff
Director: Hisatoshi Shimizu (Zombieland Saga episode director)
Series Composition: Shigeru Murakoshi (Katsute Kami Datta Kemono-tachi e)
Character Design: Kasumi Fukagawa (IDOLiSH7)
Chief Animation Director: Fumihide Sai (Garo: Vanishing Line)
Art Director: Masatoshi Kai (Goblin Slayer)
Color Design: Azusa Sasaki (Shoukoku no Altair)
Director of Photography: Mitsuhiro Satou (Peace Maker Kurogane film duology)
Editing: Keisuke Yanagi (Kingdom 3rd Season)
Music: Masaru Yokoyama (Sirius)

Announcement

Note: The video is region-locked; click here for an alternative link.

Official site: https://taiso-samurai.com/
Official Twitter: @taiso_samurai

Source: Moca News

Taisou Zamurai on MAL
VindstotAug 13, 2020 2:39 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 13, 2020 9:59 AM

Jan 2009
inb4 does this mean that Attack on Titan will have bad production quality if its release on October this year too hah maybe
Aug 13, 2020 10:07 AM

May 2011
How many productions is MAPPA doing?
It seems an overkill

Shingeki no Kyojin
Yuri on Ice movie
Yasuke
Jujutsu Kaisen
and now this.
Aug 13, 2020 10:07 AM

Mar 2015
deg said:
inb4 does this mean that Attack on Titan will have bad production quality if its release on October this year too hah maybe

That was my first thought too when I read the title lol can't wait for the impeding shitstorm.
Aug 13, 2020 10:13 AM

Feb 2018
mappa please stahp
Aug 13, 2020 10:14 AM

Aug 2019
MAPPA really is doing a lot of projects I just hope their workers can handle it.
Aug 13, 2020 10:14 AM

Jan 2009
Mirai said:
deg said:

That was my first thought too when I read the title lol can't wait for the impeding shitstorm.

ready your popcorn lol or maybe this news is foreshadowing that Attack on Titan will be delayed and air next year instead
Aug 13, 2020 10:19 AM

Feb 2017
Ahhh another mass produced anime by MAPPA.
Anyway, haven't seen anime by gymnasts so I will check this out.
Aug 13, 2020 10:22 AM

Aug 2018
It says in the article that it's the ZLS team, they had nothing to do with AoT to begin with. Mappa is a decently sized studio with several work teams, and if anything's going to cause delay on their anime then it's not this but covid.
Aug 13, 2020 10:22 AM
Apr 2016
deg said:
Mirai said:

ready your popcorn lol or maybe this news is foreshadowing that Attack on Titan will be delayed and air next year instead
Did Shingeki no Kyojin manga already end? It's supposed to be the final season, doesn't it?
Aug 13, 2020 10:23 AM

Jan 2009
JanPri said:
deg said:

Did Shingeki no Kyojin manga already end? It's supposed to be the final season, doesn't it?

manga will end in 2-3 chapters so 2-3 months more as its a monthly manga
Aug 13, 2020 10:25 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Personally, MAPPA's originals have been pretty solid, in general (Listeners and Idol Jihen tho ... urgh) so I'm looking forward to it.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Aug 13, 2020 10:28 AM

Jan 2009
Gallyleo said:
It says in the article that it's the ZLS team, they had nothing to do with AoT to begin with. Mappa is a decently sized studio with several work teams, and if anything's going to cause delay on their anime then it's not this but covid.

majority of talented animators are free lancers though im sure the 200 employees of MAPA only has a handful of talented animators there even and half of that employee count are managerial or production assistant related workers

Kyoto Animation got 200 employees too before the fire incident but look at them they only release few anime each year
Aug 13, 2020 10:30 AM

Feb 2018
Fuck AoT. Glad to see that Mappa isn't afraid of some new experiments.

First PV is fine, but CGI gymnastic on the crosspiece... is meh imo.
However, I liked it. Hope it wouldn't be another Yuri on Ice instead of real sports.
Aug 13, 2020 10:35 AM

Aug 2018
deg said:
Gallyleo said:

majority of talented animators are free lancers though im sure the 200 employees of MAPA only has a handful of talented animators there even and half of that employee count are managerial or production assistant related workers

Kyoto Animation got 200 employees too before the fire incident but look at them they only release few anime each year
Exactly, AoT is probably a big magnet for freelancers coming from outside the studio to come and assist them. The rest of Mappa can focus on other projects in the meantime.
Aug 13, 2020 10:36 AM

Jan 2009
Gallyleo said:
deg said:

Exactly, AoT is probably a big magnet for freelancers coming from outside the studio to come and assist them. The rest of Mappa can focus on other projects in the meantime.

except there is overproduction of anime problem for years now so talented animators are so busy all the time but who knows maybe? err ye hope for the best
Aug 13, 2020 10:44 AM

Jun 2017
Holy shit dude! Mappa is stacking money this year!!
Aug 13, 2020 10:44 AM

Nov 2007
tsubasaloverAug 13, 2020 11:31 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 13, 2020 10:46 AM
Jul 2017
Wow. Is MAPPA gonna be ok? They really got a lot on their plate as it is. I’m surprised it’s slated for the fall since Jujutsu Kaisen already has a spot.
Aug 13, 2020 10:46 AM

Jun 2017
lkevsan said:
How many productions is MAPPA doing?
It seems an overkill

Shingeki no Kyojin
Yuri on Ice movie
Yasuke
Jujutsu Kaisen
and now this.

Don't forget Zombieland Saga sequel.
Aug 13, 2020 11:04 AM

Jul 2019
Wow MAPPA is really going all out. The series seems interesting.
That aside, this is cool and all, but can I get a release date on SnK final season? :-(
Aug 13, 2020 11:10 AM
May 2015
I've wanted a gymnastics anime for years so I'll be watching it. Plus a sports anime protagonist pushing his 30s? That's new to me. The oldest sports anime protagonists I can think of are those from Run With the Wind and Yuri Katsuki and Victor Nikiforov.
Aug 13, 2020 11:32 AM

Jan 2009
original anime gives more profit via royalties to an anime studio usually because they are part of the ownership of said original anime aka production committee

so its safe to say this is a priority project for MAPPA this year but then i heard Listeners which is an original anime too shows that MAPPA is not part of the production committee of that so thats rare when it comes to original anime ownership
Aug 13, 2020 11:35 AM

May 2019
Damn Mappa had a ton of projects right now.
Aug 13, 2020 11:46 AM
Jul 2018
This looks amazing! I'm super hyped, can't wait for it to air
Aug 13, 2020 11:47 AM
Oct 2017
interesting to see the main character will be older/have a daughter. I'm interested to see how much of it is about family drama and how much about the sport (staff comments indicate a strong theme of 'family')

edit: daughter comment coming from this translation of the description (https://twitter.com/ksalientian/status/1293956958861455360)
Aug 13, 2020 11:53 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Studio MAPPA really needs to take it easy...

Since this is set for Fall 2020, I'm guessing most of the work ought to be completed by now though but here's to hoping they'll be a little more considerate of their employees.

Gymnasium though, that's certainly new as far as I'm concerned. Might as well give it a shot.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 13, 2020 11:55 AM
Jan 2018
Don't see the cause for worry as far as I'm aware mappa are pretty big studio and it says the zombieland saga team are doing this
Aug 13, 2020 12:03 PM

Feb 2019
The poster looks cool. Just hoping that this one has good production values. Mappa is really churning out new titles nowadays.
Aug 13, 2020 12:10 PM
Jul 2020
Ooo im intrigued, I'm definitely going to watch this.
People are saying the MAPPA is going overboard, but I honestly don't care if they are. As long as they are producing good content them i'm alright.
And it's an original yay! this is making excited. Hope it turns out well.
Aug 13, 2020 12:23 PM
Jul 2018
looks interesting I guess but those short 3D shots caught my eye immediately and it just doesn't work in some places yet unfortunately.

deg said:
they have some CG animation so that speeds up production.
Aug 13, 2020 12:25 PM

Jan 2009
Korishi said:

deg said:
they have some CG animation so that speeds up production.

yep more Colossal Titans in 3D im not sure if the fans would like that
Aug 13, 2020 12:41 PM
Playing Violet

Jun 2017
Dammit MAPPA, why are you giving me MORE things to watch this Fall~!>.<'3
Haha, but tbh, really looking forward to this~!^v^
Aug 13, 2020 1:38 PM

Mar 2014
MAPPA you ok man

seriously they are taking on so many projects lately like damn. I also really hope for the 4th season of aot to be amazing so hopefully there won't be a decrease in quality because of all these projects
Aug 13, 2020 2:01 PM

Aug 2018
Mappa is taking on A LOT I just hope they aren't stretching there employees too thin in the process
_______I like rocks__
Aug 13, 2020 2:13 PM

Jan 2009
Mattinator95 said:
Don't see the cause for worry as far as I'm aware mappa are pretty big studio and it says the zombieland saga team are doing this

as i said Kyto Animation before the fire incident got 200 something employees too like MAPPA have now but Kyoto Animation only do 2-3(?) anime each year but look at MAPPA lol and worse Kyoto Animation do all their animation in-house with a lot of talented animators they have but MAPPA? err i bet you can only count the number of talented animators they have so they will rely heavily on talented freelance animators that are always busy around the anime industry already

but hope for the best though for Attack on Titans sake
Aug 13, 2020 2:21 PM

May 2015
VanishingKira said:
The series people will hate on, not because of it own merits or flaws but because it not AoT Final season...

If them making all of these shows at once causes the final season of one of the biggest shows ever to be shit, then I'd say it would be reasonable for people to be upset.

Aug 13, 2020 2:35 PM

May 2015
And just today I have been talking about wanting to see a gymnastics sport anime
Aug 13, 2020 2:53 PM

Jul 2016
Yikes the MAPPA the trash studio that makes ton of anime per year. Their original anime are horrible, like Listeners and the PV has a ugly CGI that MAPPA is known for. Their project this fall is full. With how the animation of GOHS is worse as episodes goes this project is gonna be flop.

Aug 13, 2020 3:03 PM

Nov 2015
Looks cool. Maybe it will be gay like yuri on ice?
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Aug 13, 2020 3:14 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
Is there any proof that MAPPA cannot handle this much projects at once? Seriously, I'm so tired of these claims. Many big name anime studios typically work on multiple anime at once and are fine. I don't know about MAPPA.

I mean, I get it. Typically a single anime has around 200 crew members. Some have less, others have more. I mean, you can't compare it to Toei which has around 750(?) staff and are working on two dozen anime at once, who often do a practice of putting more articulated care into one anime than another(?).

I just want to see some evidence that they cannot handle it. Long as their more anticipated projects have more effort, I hope it's okay to excuse some smaller ones having CGi, lower production values or even putting some of the more important people and resources on their bigger projects.

I also don't know how many anime studios with 200 or so members shit the bed working on five or six projects.
I can't say 100% that AoT S4 will be good. Just gotta pray.

(?) = assumed/questionable
ChartTopper60Aug 13, 2020 3:22 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 13, 2020 3:21 PM

Jan 2009
ChartTopper60 said:
Is there any proof that MAPPA cannot handle this much projects at once? Seriously, I'm so tired of these claims. Many big name anime studios typically work on multiple anime at once and are fine. I don't know about MAPPA.

I just want to see some evidence that they cannot handle it. Long as their more anticipated projects have more effort, I hope it's okay to excuse some smaller ones having CGi, lower production values or even putting some of the more important people and resources on their bigger projects.

circumstantial evidence only lol like look at JC Staff which have 200 employees something too

but its just educated guess the final product is still uncertain so ye just hope for the best
Aug 13, 2020 3:24 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
deg said:
ChartTopper60 said:

circumstantial evidence only lol like look at JC Staff which have 200 employees something too

but its just educated guess the final product is still uncertain so ye just hope for the best

Yeah lol I edited my post after doing more research, I know you can't really compare MAPPA to the likes of Sunrise or Toei with nearly a thousand staff, so I don't know how many anime shit themselves when working on multiple projects at once, that's true for JC Staff though
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 13, 2020 3:50 PM

Sep 2015
What a strong cast of voice actors, though
Aug 13, 2020 3:56 PM
Apr 2020
MAPPA's making a LOT of shows in the coming seasons
Aug 13, 2020 4:10 PM

Sep 2011
This looks like it could be good.

"They escaped the weight of darkness,
to forge a path into the marrow of the spirit.
They chose to drown in a deeper vacancy,
an emptiness that quells the null,
a pool for the forgotten..."
Aug 13, 2020 5:35 PM

Oct 2018
MAPPA studio is releasing 992918181 animes this year the manager went crazy

I'm not complaining, i love

「闇の力を秘めし鍵よ,
真の姿を我の前に示せ 契約のもと、
さくらが命じる 封印解除
(レリーズ)!」

find me: twitter × tvtime × dotpict
Aug 13, 2020 6:04 PM

Oct 2013
VanishingKira said:
The series people will hate on, not because of it own merits or flaws but because it not AoT Final season...

If it's part of the reason for snk finale season to not be good then sure, why not? If it was your favorite anime in this situation I'm sure you yourself will be a bit worried.

Anyways I trust Mappa knows what they are doing and the final series for one of the biggest anime of the last decade will get the best adaptation as it deserves!
Aug 13, 2020 6:51 PM

Aug 2018
keragamming said:
If it's part of the reason for snk finale season to not be good then sure, why not? If it was your favorite anime in this situation I'm sure you yourself will be a bit worried.
More likely people will use the series as scapegoat for every flaw they find in the AoT adaptation, regardless of whether it has anything to do with it. Nobody in this thread, or in this whole forum, knows what really goes on behind the scenes in an anime studio. Nobody here can actually pinpoint what is needed to pull off a 10/10 adaptation, and they can only repeat bits of info they've seen other posters or articles say.

I hope that if people are going to hate this series, then they hate it because it is bad or disappointing. Keep AoT and other Mappa anime out if it. I'm saying this as someone who is looking forward to AoT more than any other anime.
Aug 13, 2020 9:13 PM

Oct 2017
Mappa this Mappa that, making more animes is a good thing but hopefully this one won't be a trash like GOH adaptation.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
46 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
3 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 4 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
4 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 6 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.