Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
High School DxD (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 11, 2020 5:03 PM

Sep 2019
What is your opinion? I think is good, but people like to attack it bacause it has ecchi and harem.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 11, 2020 5:09 PM

Jul 2019
In my opinion, it's not a bad show. But it's also not amazing.
Aug 11, 2020 5:10 PM

Aug 2019
i mean not really compared to other shows, its garbagio for sure but not mars of destruction bad even tho thats so shit its good still, plenty of show like high school dxd and they're mostly popular
Aug 11, 2020 5:12 PM

Jun 2015
One of the best ecchi shows if not the best ecchi show ever made. ;)
Read Toriko!
Aug 11, 2020 5:17 PM

Jul 2020
metalNakama8792_ said:
What is your opinion? I think is good, but people like to attack it bacause it has ecchi and harem.

it is not really my type of show because it is not intellectual like evangelion, but i see why some people like it. every anime has something for everyone
Aug 11, 2020 5:20 PM

Oct 2019
I liked it, it had some interesting lore to it and I enjoyed the transformations. Back when I was younger, would have said it was the best show that neared the boundary of ecchi and hentai. But, other shows have pushed past DxD in terms of ecchi. But, I still see it as one of the better shows that has ecchi and harem in it.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Aug 11, 2020 5:26 PM

Feb 2020
It's pretty average as a show but it's the best i've seen for it's genre

IT'S NEVER OGRE
Aug 11, 2020 5:27 PM

Oct 2013
For an ecchi series, which is generally what I choose to judge it as, I think it's pretty solid minus that last season... Fan service is pretty effective for me. If I were to judge it by it's other tags though...As a "comedy" it fails pretty hard for me compared to stuff like Saiki K. But I tend to be a harsh judge when it comes to supposed "comedy" anime in general though. As a "romance" anime...I'm not that big of a romance fan, but I'd say it fails on that front too, as most harem series tend to do...

Basically, the "ecchi" tag is what saves if for me.
FanofActionAug 11, 2020 5:38 PM
Aug 11, 2020 5:27 PM

Apr 2020
it's ecchi over plot, not plot infused with ecchi
making it cringe

Aug 11, 2020 5:37 PM

Jul 2017
I think it's a great mesh of appeal. There's a lot of similar titles, but I think it's the most perfect by far in handling itself. Entertaining af for me.

It can't be helped that people don't like it for what it is. It's nice that more people can say that it's just not for them, unlike some years back tho.

Aug 11, 2020 5:38 PM

May 2015
The first two seasons were good. Season 3 onwards just got boring.
Aug 11, 2020 5:38 PM
Jun 2017
I think its both some times the show eats raw ass but sometimes it slaps
Aug 11, 2020 5:40 PM

Sep 2019
I honestly really enjoy Highschool DxD but i couldn't see myself giving it anything higher than a 10 besides it's fanservice. It's nothing that special or GOAT worthy, but still an alright series.
Aug 11, 2020 5:41 PM

Oct 2013
Season 3 was a disappointment but everything else is pretty fucking good as far as Im concerned
People who say its bad because ecchi and harem are just blinded by their bias taste in the medium and dont stand on any objective grounding
Aug 11, 2020 5:57 PM

Aug 2020
One of the best of its genre. People kinda just look upon ecchi and harem and especially when it's as blatant as DxD
I swear, I don't have a thing for blondes.

Aug 11, 2020 8:17 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I wouldn't say outright bad - I could still have a good time with it, after I put myself in the right mindset (albeit the fact I had to do that on my own prerogative instead of it happening naturally should say something) - but I think its position as such a prominent gateway into ecchi due to its relatively accessible narrative structure/premise mixed with the fact that it has exceptionally safe and basic fanservice can cause people to stereotype ecchi as a whole pretty unfairly. I think a lot of the blame for that perception is shouldered by DxD and how it uses fanservice.

And on that note, I also have a personal distaste for shows that can only make use of basic exposure shots. Just seeing a tit isn't very exciting or fun. Same with panty shots. A tit is a tit, panties are panties. No matter what, DxD will take any context that it builds up for an ecchi scene and turn that into a similar basic exposure shot every time. I really like to bring up how it turned a fucking tentacle scene into nothing but a series of chest zoom-ins. That's actually impressive to me in how reductive it is. It gets stale fast, especially if you're not watching it as one of your first ecchi and have seen a lot of stuff execute on these sexualization concepts infinitely better.

I think it's a mediocre H&E. I wouldn't say bad, but I think it's very weak, soft, and safe, especially relative to contemporaries like To LOVE-Ru, KissXSis, et cetera. There are heaps upon heaps of better golden age ecchi to choose from if you're showing up for the ecchi. If not, well, have fun with the meh battle shounen-esque narrative, I guess? It does put a greater emphasis on that than a lot of other H&E series, but it's nothing really special if you've seen a couple of series like it already.

DxD is baby's first ecchi. Always has been and always will be. It's good to have around due to how accessible it is, making it a good gateway series for ecchi. It places people in familiar territory with its narrative and won't do any fanservice that's too extreme with its sexualization, since it will live and die by simple exposure shots. On any level beyond that, it falls to pieces fast.
ManabanAug 11, 2020 8:33 PM

Aug 11, 2020 8:27 PM

Nov 2016
Even though I had unknowingly watched other ecchis before dxd like Ranma 1/2 İ still consider it as my official entry to the genre so it still holds a pretty special place in my heart. As for the hate I think it's pretty stupid to judge a something for what it's not trying to be, as an ecchi it's still really good.
Aug 11, 2020 8:28 PM

Jul 2017
If you care about any of the qualities of the actual story, or if you care about how it is that the ecchi scenes come about, then DxD sucks.

I only like ecchi when the characters bring about the ecchi scenes themselves. I derive no enjoyment from weird camera angles or paper clothes that fall apart in battles. I also don't find the character designs to be attractive in DxD, nor do I like their personalities.

I am ready for all the hate you can send my way. Especially after I admit that I enjoyed To Love Ru a lot.
Aug 11, 2020 8:34 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Maenads said:
. Especially after I admit that I enjoyed To Love Ru a lot.

Finding DxD bland and TLR great is the correct opinion tho :>

Hell, I consider To LOVE-Ru to be the gold standard for ecchi and still haven't found one that managed to be more fresh and consistently awesome with how it used fanservice. Mixed with Yabuki's art if you're reading the manga, it was fucking exciting. Every scenario pushed the limits. Every scene was at worst decently refreshing in how it handled it, and at best was the fucking pinnacle of what ecchi could be. If DxD is simple exposure to an extreme, TLR is context and scenarios to an extreme. Also, the difference in character writing quality is pretty drastic. I will 100% asser that the worst girl in TLR would be the best in most other harems.

Either way, there's a reason that conservative parents in Tokyo tried getting TLR banned from being sold in the city and didn't give a shit about DxD during that whole push :P
ManabanAug 11, 2020 8:43 PM

Aug 11, 2020 8:57 PM

Jul 2017
Manaban said:
Maenads said:
. Especially after I admit that I enjoyed To Love Ru a lot.

Hell, I consider To LOVE-Ru to be the gold standard for ecchi and still haven't found one that managed to be more fresh and consistently awesome with how it used fanservice. Mixed with Yabuki's art if you're reading the manga, it was fucking exciting. Every scenario pushed the limits. Every scene was at worst decently refreshing in how it handled it, and at best was the fucking pinnacle of what ecchi could be. If DxD is simple exposure to an extreme, TLR is context and scenarios to an extreme. Also, the difference in character writing quality is pretty drastic. The worst girl in TLR would be the best in most other harems.

Either way, there's a reason that conservative parents in Tokyo tried getting TLR banned from being sold in the city and didn't give a shit about DxD during that whole push :P

I agree with you 100%, but I think we are actually in the minority for having this opinion. I have read about 30 chapters into the manga, although that was a while ago. The sad thing is after TLR (and nozoki ana was pretty great too...the manga) where the hell do I go? Nothing compares.

And lol every country has their authoritarian conservatives huh?
Aug 11, 2020 9:00 PM

Nov 2018
The anime is alright (except for S3), and given how I just finished the first 25 volumes, I think the LN is great.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Aug 11, 2020 9:05 PM

Nov 2011
I don't hate ecchi and harem, but I found DxD boring.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 11, 2020 9:07 PM

Sep 2008
it's not lewd enough, I don't care for the story, and issei's fear of women made me cringe my eyes out. ashia is an annoying cockblock character. fuck obligatory tournament arcs. it was okay otherwise.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Aug 11, 2020 9:07 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Maenads said:
Manaban said:

Hell, I consider To LOVE-Ru to be the gold standard for ecchi and still haven't found one that managed to be more fresh and consistently awesome with how it used fanservice. Mixed with Yabuki's art if you're reading the manga, it was fucking exciting. Every scenario pushed the limits. Every scene was at worst decently refreshing in how it handled it, and at best was the fucking pinnacle of what ecchi could be. If DxD is simple exposure to an extreme, TLR is context and scenarios to an extreme. Also, the difference in character writing quality is pretty drastic. The worst girl in TLR would be the best in most other harems.

I agree with you 100%, but I think we are actually in the minority for having this opinion. I have read about 30 chapters into the manga, although that was a while ago. The sad thing is after TLR (and nozoki ana was pretty great too...the manga) where the hell do I go? Nothing compares.

And lol every country has their authoritarian conservatives huh?

Meh, probably with the masses, doubt with devoted ecchi fans. TLR talk typically dominates the H&E discord and both H&E and E/H advertise primarily with TLR for a reason.

Aug 11, 2020 9:08 PM
Jul 2018
PerfectAzul said:
In my opinion, it's not a bad show. But it's also not amazing.

Yeah, I agree with this sentiment. Highschool DxD is a lot of fun. It's not an amazing anime, but it does what it does for its genre, better than most anime do; it is not ashamed of its fan service like most ecchi I've seen, it does not take itself seriously, and is hilarious imo.
Aug 11, 2020 9:31 PM
Aug 2013
It's the OG ecchi harem anime and arguably the best, it set the standard for the genre now every anime since then is just a copy of highschool dxd
~AnimeDownUnder~

Aug 11, 2020 10:20 PM
Community Mod
ウェルカムチーム™

Feb 2014
Thread moved to the series sub-board.

GUIDELINES/FAQ
AD/MD RULES
CD RULES
CE RULES
STAFF
SET BY SENPIEX
Aug 12, 2020 12:18 AM

Jul 2019
I've dropped it at episode 10, but I think it's good for what it is. I guess I wasn't the targeted audience.
Sep 3, 2020 2:41 AM
May 2020
No, I don't like it.
It's quite boring
Sep 3, 2020 3:22 AM
Jun 2020
The 4th season is one-big-stinker. Anything previous is good.
Sep 3, 2020 3:26 AM

Apr 2013
Nope, I think it's really good. Best ecchi show out there imo. Great characters, comedy, fanservice and even decent action.
Sep 8, 2020 4:01 AM
Apr 2018
Indisputably the best show with both the plot and the plot. What sets it apart from most other ecchi/harem shows is that it actually has a good plot, I had to read the entire source material after finishing the third season. Sometimes it has unnecessary nudity, but that's understandable since many people watch it for that. I don't mind it if it allows me to have more seasons to watch.
Sep 8, 2020 5:58 AM

Aug 2017
it's a cliche harem and echhi , and prolly that's what make it bad
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 21, 2020 12:14 PM

Jan 2015
I just watched the first episode and immediately lost all interest. Fanservice doesn't bother me (if it's funny/self-aware) but it's just kinda.... lame in this show. Also, Rias is boring and I don't like her hair color. I think I'm just not the audience lmfao
sneakers-n-cakeSep 21, 2020 5:00 PM
Sep 22, 2020 3:22 PM
Nov 2015
FanofAction said:
For an ecchi series, which is generally what I choose to judge it as, I think it's pretty solid minus that last season... Fan service is pretty effective for me. If I were to judge it by it's other tags though...As a "comedy" it fails pretty hard for me compared to stuff like Saiki K. But I tend to be a harsh judge when it comes to supposed "comedy" anime in general though. As a "romance" anime...I'm not that big of a romance fan, but I'd say it fails on that front too, as most harem series tend to do...

what was bad about the last season?
Sep 22, 2020 3:23 PM
Nov 2015
sneakers-n-cake said:
I just watched the first episode and immediately lost all interest. Fanservice doesn't bother me (if it's funny/self-aware) but it's just kinda.... lame in this show. Also, Rias is boring and I don't like her hair color. I think I'm just not the audience lmfao
Rias is boring and you dont like her hair color? You have lost all validation.
Sep 22, 2020 3:30 PM
Nov 2015
Manaban said:
I wouldn't say outright bad - I could still have a good time with it, after I put myself in the right mindset (albeit the fact I had to do that on my own prerogative instead of it happening naturally should say something) - but I think its position as such a prominent gateway into ecchi due to its relatively accessible narrative structure/premise mixed with the fact that it has exceptionally safe and basic fanservice can cause people to stereotype ecchi as a whole pretty unfairly. I think a lot of the blame for that perception is shouldered by DxD and how it uses fanservice.

And on that note, I also have a personal distaste for shows that can only make use of basic exposure shots. Just seeing a tit isn't very exciting or fun. Same with panty shots. A tit is a tit, panties are panties. No matter what, DxD will take any context that it builds up for an ecchi scene and turn that into a similar basic exposure shot every time. I really like to bring up how it turned a fucking tentacle scene into nothing but a series of chest zoom-ins. That's actually impressive to me in how reductive it is. It gets stale fast, especially if you're not watching it as one of your first ecchi and have seen a lot of stuff execute on these sexualization concepts infinitely better.

I think it's a mediocre H&E. I wouldn't say bad, but I think it's very weak, soft, and safe, especially relative to contemporaries like To LOVE-Ru, KissXSis, et cetera. There are heaps upon heaps of better golden age ecchi to choose from if you're showing up for the ecchi. If not, well, have fun with the meh battle shounen-esque narrative, I guess? It does put a greater emphasis on that than a lot of other H&E series, but it's nothing really special if you've seen a couple of series like it already.

DxD is baby's first ecchi. Always has been and always will be. It's good to have around due to how accessible it is, making it a good gateway series for ecchi. It places people in familiar territory with its narrative and won't do any fanservice that's too extreme with its sexualization, since it will live and die by simple exposure shots. On any level beyond that, it falls to pieces fast.
I would argue that's part of the appeal the way it uses fan service so it doesn't get old. It is so over the top and exploitative that it becomes very enjoyable because of that laughable extremes.

Got a say you put alot of thought into this essays. As for highschool dxd being the source of the ecchi stereotype I dont know if that is true even though it is the getaway I dont think it's the most popular one and nor do alot of predominately ecchi series differ from it in terms of fan service at least dxd has the perverted protagonist and that adds to its appeal in how it uses ecchi instead of the denser impotent one. Its definitely a step up from other ecchis you mentioned like kiss x sis or to love ru. It definitely has better lore than both of them maybe characters are at the same level.
Black_Sheep97Sep 22, 2020 3:34 PM
Sep 22, 2020 3:31 PM

Jan 2015
Black_Sheep97 said:
sneakers-n-cake said:

Lol why did you send me a friend request
Sep 22, 2020 3:32 PM
Nov 2015
sneakers-n-cake said:
Black_Sheep97 said:

sneakers-n-cake said:
Black_Sheep97 said:

cause why the hell not?
Sep 22, 2020 3:34 PM
Nov 2015
wape said:
The 4th season is one-big-stinker. Anything previous is good.
what was bad about season 4?
Sep 22, 2020 3:37 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Black_Sheep97 said:
I would argue that's part of the appeal the way it uses fan service so it doesn't get old. It is so over the top and exploitative that it becomes very enjoyable because of that laughable extremes.

That's...literally the opposite of what I'm saying DxD is, though. I'm arguing that it's very milquetoast, mild and cautious relative to a lot of its contemporaries. A series that uses fanservice in increasingly over the top ways and plays around with the tropes of the genre in that fashion is To LOVE-Ru, or High School of the Dead, or Shimoneta. A lot of popular ecchi series use that formula. DxD is the fundamental opposite of that, though. It has an overreliance on one type of shot - basic exposure - and it doesn't push the boundaries or do anything interesting with that at all. It doesn't move forward with basic exposure shots. It doesn't push the envelope in any way. It's very, very circular with it. You see boobs. You see panties. You see boobs. You see panties. It's the type of fanservice that's only exciting or interesting if you're not used to anime fanservice. It's the very stereotype that a lot of outsiders *have* about what ecchi is and why they say they hate it so much.

I mean really, most of the time it doesn't even deviate from using the same setup to each fanservice scene, i.e. clothes dissolution is probably 3 or 4 out of every 5 fanservice scenes in DxD. And unlike TLR with anime falls and how it handles that trope - progressively taking that basic trope and maintaining a consistent escalation of it throughout the series, where early on the anime falls are anime falls, and as it goes on we're hitting points where Rito is hitting his foot on a remote and somehow doing an anime fall on his entire harem as a result of that - DxD never escalates the trope it uses most. The first clothes dissolution shot is the same as the second, which is the same as the third, and the same as the 200th. That's not making it more and more absurd. This isn't being over the top. This isn't being extreme with its fanservice. It's basic exposure on loop, never actually doing anything particularly interesting with the same fucking type of shot.

I think DxD is pretty limp-dicked about how it incorporates ecchi, if anything, but take that with a grain of salt. If you like basic exposure or if you like it kind of tame or soft like DxD handles it, that's all fine. But I don't think DxD even bothers trying to do anything interesting with its fanservice. It's 100% content resting on its laurels and being extremely repetitive and tame with it. Do I think less of it for that? Goddamn straight I do. Does that mean that the preference for how DxD does it is invalid? Nope.

Also, Sora no Otoshimono. Trinity Seven. Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai. Zero no Tsukaima. Majikoi. Is a harem MC with the type of personality Issei has *really* that special? It's an archetype that exists in fucking spades and yet people want to act like it hardly exists. Would also hard disagree that DxD's cast is better - or even just equal to - any of the series I'd mentioned prior.
ManabanSep 22, 2020 4:00 PM

Sep 22, 2020 3:41 PM

Oct 2013
I see thread still going
so just going to drop gif for those who need moral support
Sep 22, 2020 3:58 PM

Oct 2013
Black_Sheep97 said:
FanofAction said:

what was bad about the last season?

Honestly I don't remember. Probably something stupid and nitpicky that bothered me. Just remember not liking it as much. Maybe there was a character that bugged me or something..
Dec 9, 2020 6:51 AM
Dec 2020
I fully support the opinion that would make education free. If students are allowed to choose courses, it will allow them to distribute their workload properly. It is worth thinking about why there are so many courses.
Dec 11, 2020 7:07 PM
May 2020
metalNakama8792_ said:
but people like to attack it bacause it has ecchi and harem.
people like it because it's Ecchi also
Dec 21, 2020 1:03 PM
Aug 2020
It's not bad, but very mediocre. If you want to watch an ecchi anime there are better options.
Dec 23, 2020 8:55 AM
Apr 2018
Top 3 in the ecchi harem genre easily.

Personally 2nd only to Saekano though they're quite different
Jan 14, 2021 8:18 AM

Oct 2018
Not at all, I love it 😂 I enjoy the ecchi and harem aspects, and I do find the situations issei gets into amusing
Jan 14, 2021 12:59 PM
Aug 2019
Yes it is, but i love it.
Jan 26, 2021 2:24 AM

Oct 2017
I think that it could have been more enjoyable. You are not supposed to take shows like this too seriously and I did not, its just that even as an ecchi comedy it's not all that amusing.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How old is Koneko? Does she have the same age as Asia?

JustSomeone15 - Apr 13

0 by JustSomeone15 »»
Apr 13, 5:44 PM

Poll: » Highschool DxD Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Feb 23, 2012

152 by Hokage_the_7th »»
Apr 9, 5:32 AM

Poll: » Highschool DxD Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Yumekichi11 - Feb 16, 2012

127 by SupriyoMaity »»
Mar 26, 10:51 AM

» Why you can still see the girls' nipples poking through their uniforms even though they're wearing bras?

CoolUsername2 - Dec 7, 2023

33 by shah7398 »»
Mar 15, 5:04 AM

» The "female devil characters" aren't typically devils, they're succubuses, a type of demon (and Issei is a Incubus, also a type of demon)

5hyguy - Feb 26

20 by FirelordZuko27 »»
Mar 9, 9:03 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.