Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 12 Discussion

Bofuri: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense.
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Apr 3, 2020 9:48 AM
Feb 2016
Finished the anime. Love it so much. Gonna miss Maple,Sally and the rest of Maple tree members....This has been an entertaining season and one of the few animes that can hook me up for this season. This show just prove playing games to enjoy is better than obsessing to be the top. I'm really glad there's a season 2 and really looking forward to them and the comments especially lol. Rather than angel shes more like a demon lmao. She's the true shied hero! Fuck you Naofumi

Bofuri>>>>>>>>>SAO
Apr 3, 2020 1:41 PM

Nov 2012
BOFURI saves us the drama which circulates through SAO. Just having fun in the vr game. It's about playing the game instead of trying to get out, rescuing someone or fighting the bad guys. It's overarching plot is Maple's getting gradually more overpowered. That's actually not very original, but this time it's not isekai but a game and she's still Kaede the highschooler everyday.
Apr 3, 2020 2:38 PM
Dec 2015
Janethan23 said:
Masterrazor said:

That wasn't what I was referring to. What I meant is the fact the majority of anime that comes out at least around 90% of the time has a male protagonist. Sure there is anime out there that has female protagonists, but the majority of the shows are male MC's.
Sister I hear you but you need to accept the fact that the market share (audience) that support the anime industry in Japan and mostly throughout the world are men, so ofcourse there would be relatively more shows aimed to the majority audience. The Japanese have a very good relationship with it's buying public. They listen and give what their people want and that's why their industries/economy isn't struggling like other countries would. In the west it's the exact opposite. Forcing identity politics and political agendas first than listen to the consensus choice that people traditionally accepted as appropriate. That said; look at the growing list of failures western companies have put out considered as appropriate entertainment. Look it up, google it
I don't believe that the anime industry is unfairly disproportionately towards women. It's more like the ratio : for every 10 anime titles released it's 5 to shounen, 4 to shoujo and lastly 1 to the Dōseiai (gay) audience.

Uh, I think you're missing the point. The point was I enjoyed the anime because the MC was a female that was powerful instead of a male. Also, what do men have to do with MC being males? There are plenty of men that watch shows with female MC's.
Apr 4, 2020 5:16 AM

Oct 2007
Bofuri has made me hype for another anime, simply because Maple's voice actress will be voicing Raika in Slime Taoshite. :D https://myanimelist.net/anime/40586/Slime_Taoshite_300-nen_Shiranai_Uchi_ni_Level_Max_ni_Nattemashita/characters
Liddo-kunApr 4, 2020 5:20 AM
Apr 4, 2020 3:03 PM

Apr 2012
Masterrazor said:
Uh, I think you're missing the point. The point was I enjoyed the anime because the MC was a female that was powerful instead of a male. Also, what do men have to do with MC being males? There are plenty of men that watch shows with female MC's.
You've proven to be very dodgy with the discussion we had. Didn't you start of saying :

Masterrazor said:
We need more anime with female characters that are portrayed as stronger then males.
I tried to advise you to ignore the mc male oriented anime but the you went on a tangent with this :

Masterrazor said:
...the majority of anime that comes out at least around 90% of the time has a male protagonist...
...but the majority of the shows are male MC's.
I immediately addressed this fallacy because it's factually inaccurate. I used to have this view until I saw the rate and ratio manga and anime put out there. After I told you that, the discussion has gone full circle with your 180°turn with this :

Masterrazor said:
...what do men have to do with MC being males?
I'm so done with this topic. You start off whining about the need for more female mc because you believe that there's a 90% unfairly disproportional number favoring strong male protagonist. Now you pretty much flushed your point down the toilet I see no reason to engage this waste of time I considered a discussion.

I'm just gonna post it here to save time and get back on topic.
Maple and the anime deserve a 2nd season. The entire series was quite enjoyable and I do hope it gets a sequel.
8/10
Janethan23Apr 4, 2020 6:37 PM
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Apr 4, 2020 6:02 PM

Nov 2009
Liddo-kun said:
Bofuri has made me hype for another anime, simply because Maple's voice actress will be voicing Raika in Slime Taoshite. :D https://myanimelist.net/anime/40586/Slime_Taoshite_300-nen_Shiranai_Uchi_ni_Level_Max_ni_Nattemashita/characters

Interesting... guess that sorta makes sense, since the MC in Slime Taoshite is also kinda airheaded...

cause instead of being asleep and being hit for hours.

The MC in Slime Taoshite mindlessly killed thousands (if not millions) of slime for 300 years without even noticing that long already passed... LUL (F for the slimes tho.... poor slimes...)
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Apr 8, 2020 2:31 AM

Jul 2012
The start of this episode was so bad. Everyone just went full on stupid mode. Did like someone different do the writing for this episode?
Apr 12, 2020 8:28 PM

Jan 2019
I’m starting to think this game isn’t that balanced lol
Apr 14, 2020 10:52 PM

Apr 2020
So hyped for s2,cant wait!
Apr 15, 2020 4:44 PM

Dec 2012
Satisfying finale.
Indeed she just plays the game normally.

Apr 16, 2020 7:53 PM

Oct 2018
new season! we need a new season...this anime is really unique. really different from any isekai/game anime.

pls author, don't nerf maple. lol i love how cute she is.
Apr 17, 2020 1:57 AM

Jan 2019
the last 3 episodes totally got me hard. especially during 7 godzilla bunshin rofl.

8/10, probably gonna watch the next season.
Apr 20, 2020 12:17 PM

Dec 2014
greatest anime of all time.

May 7, 2020 5:48 AM

Oct 2007
amlg said:
Maple drinking coffee while in Alien-form... I laughed, LOL. (where did they get the giant cup from?)

Then afterwards she goes on a rampage like the actual Alien... and eat people... (especially when combined with Clone/ Phantom World)

LOOOOOOL MAPLE

She's like the ultimate Troll in this game. Not even the Devs can suppress her.

a bit late to comment, did not read your post before. Yeah, I wonder now as well.. where did they get that giant cup from? xD

or maybe the items turn big if a large character use it?
May 10, 2020 2:51 AM

Oct 2016
The last two episodes were so intense and fun at the same time.

I'm amazed how strong Payne is for pushing Maple to her limit, since Mii was unable to beat Maple even with her self destruct. Probably due to his high level and strong skills. Or maybe because Maple has already used up all her skills?

And it warms my heart to see the three guilds have a party together in the end, and makes me remember that all of the intensity was only just a game, in an anime.

Overall, this is anime is fun and intense at the same time. I totally enjoyed the whole episodes.
May 18, 2020 11:40 AM

Apr 2016
You see ... im not watching anime because i want it to make sense you know, but holy fuck this was terrible ... i was going into this with the mindset of me watching some "cute girls doing cute mmorpg things", but what i got instead is some weird mix of eh .. isekai rpg with an overpowered protagonist (?) who is at the same time dense as fuck. Like yeah, Holy fuck this was a waste of time. Not to mention this show already have one stupidly overpowered character, we need to add that female version of Kirito combined with Naruto.
May 20, 2020 11:11 AM
Aug 2010
I appreciate showing the rival guilds hanging out together in the end. For all the tension during the event, it's still just a game. I get the feeling that Payne enjoyed his battle with Maple, even if he lost. It was probably one of the few times he had to push himself, and now he has motivation to get stronger.
May 31, 2020 11:08 AM

May 2009
A little disappointed in how the show went from cute-girls-doing-cute things in an MMO into another one of those absurd power fantasy anime where everyone worships the MC, but I'll give it some slack since it doesn't take itself that seriously.
Jun 3, 2020 10:09 AM

Feb 2019
Well, it's over for now.

Knew that Maple was definitely going to use [Atrocity] against Payne, because we hadn't seen it used against players before this! Her last trump card. But she really had to use all her trump cards to beat the two top guilds. But once she uses a trump card, there's definitely no stopping her!

What I did not expect was the rampage lol who would've thought of that tactic. Maple may be the OP Angel/Demon and the poster for NWO, but none of it would be possible without Sally's tactics and strategies. She's the brains of the operation!

Man, when 6 other Maple monsters appeared I too was questioning what the heck was I seeing, just like Payne and the others. That's ridiculously OP but still so funny and fun to watch! It was just like pure absurd chaos lol their presence broke the event to the point that the admins themselves finally gave up!

Nice to see the little party inviting the main members of the Flame Emperors and Order of the Holy Sword too. Really reminds you that this is all a game, and even though they may be rivals who've fought each other to the (virtual) death, they still have fun and make friends!

Also, by the end of this series, Mii became an underdog favourite character of mine for her cute real personality lol

Would definitely watch a season 2. 8/10!
Jun 12, 2020 2:51 PM

May 2013
This anime was undoubtedly v enjoyable. All the characters were likable. I just didn't appreciate Kuromu's thread gossip revealing Maple's new skills .-. other than that, he koo' I guess.

Too bad Sally didn't unlock the Godspeed skill. Next time.

I can't give this anime any higher than a 7/10 mainly bc Maple didn't really struggle until the last 2 eps. I'm glad Payne took an L for once considering he's the #1 ranked player, buuuut! Payne ain't the main lol. I want MAPLE to get the taste of defeat and grow from that. I want her to go out there and train instead of messing around as a wooly beach volleyball for the twins, y'know? Or like, die a few times trying to defeat a boss.

Ain't nobody flawless in an MMO :3

With that said, looking forward to S2 :D
Jun 21, 2020 7:28 PM

May 2020
7 Maple Kage Bunshin was so lit! hahaha. Maple op as ever. Hoping a good season 2 comes up to this fun anime!
Jun 27, 2020 9:53 PM
Jun 2020
Please Bofuri season 2, like this anime 😣😣😣
Jul 26, 2020 7:29 PM

Jan 2013
i skipped this when it was simulcasting bc i had too much at the time. after doing a slow-binge of this, this was surprisingly fun and endearing. i fell out of most CGDCTs/OP gaming types, but most, if not all, of the characters were likable and not annoying. Maple being unintentionally OP gets funny especially Machine God and Atrocity being hilariously dumb. the animations on some parts, like Sally going ham that one ep, was impressive too.

one big negative is that every episode did NOT need a montage with the same Persona3-style insert song

i was flipflopping between an 8 or a 9 as im watching bc imo it was consistently fun. but the negative wwas too glaring, so its an 8/10. hopefully we get to see some of the friends IRL in Season 2
dannymilkJul 26, 2020 7:33 PM
Jul 27, 2020 7:57 PM
Nov 2018
Figured I'd just write down a little bit of info on some of the game's mechanics (skill slots and friendly fire) as well as some of Maple's skills that weren't really explained in the anime, among other things.
And so while I would not personally count anything below as spoiler for the series, since I only explained skills and game features already shown in the anime, just in more detail than the anime did, I put it in spoiler tags just in case.
Mostly wanted to do this because hype for season 2 and because I adore this series. :p

EDIT: Thanks a bunch to kyled00m for reminding me about... a lot of things lol.

For now that is all, but will likely edit this later, and if anyone is curious about anything else that wasn't explained then feel free to ask! I kinda forgot what was explained in the anime and what wasn't now lol. There's also skills/gear she gets that is never showcased at all in the anime, except for when her skills/equips are shown in some episode right before the guild pvp event... I think. Not sure if I should add those too lol.
Could also just read the Light Novel. xD
-Kats-Jul 29, 2020 4:13 AM
Jul 27, 2020 9:50 PM

Jul 2009
-Kats- said:
Figured I'd just write down a little bit of info on some of the game's mechanics (skill slots and friendly fire) as well as some of Maple's skills that weren't really explained in the anime, among other things.
And so while I would not personally count anything below as spoiler for the series, since I only explained skills and game features already shown in the anime, just in more detail than the anime did, I put it in spoiler tags just in case.
Mostly wanted to do this because hype for season 2 and because I adore this series. :p

For now that is all, but will likely edit this later, and if anyone is curious about anything else that wasn't explained then feel free to ask! I kinda forgot what was explained in the anime and what wasn't now lol. There's also skills/gear she gets that is never showcased at all in the anime, except for when her skills/equips are shown in some episode right before the guild pvp event... I think. Not sure if I should add those too lol.
Could also just read the Light Novel. xD
You skipped that an item with Skill Slots (not A skill slot) has 1 skill slot per 15 levels the player has, with a minimum of 1. When Maple hits level 30, she'll have 2 slots on her body armor, 2 slots on her shield, and 2 slots on her weapon. This becomes 3 at 45, and so on.

Let's look at skills.
Although Shield Proficiency N or Great Shield Mastery N (English Dubbed anime) makes it easier to use a great shield, it also grants damage reduced by N%.

Seeping Chaos is actually similar to Hydra, Dedicated Affection/Loving Sacrifice, and Machine God. It's a skill that has sub-skills. These include Predator, Seeping Chaos, and Atrocity. It's somewhat obvious what Predator and Atrocity do. Seeping Chaos works similar to the Hydra skill in that it creates a colored energy that can be manipulated somewhat like the the King of Junk battle. The usage where it increases the range of the predator monsters isn't explained well.

Believe it or not, the thing that made Devour & Hydra "broken" (they're not broken, even in the beginning and there was little reason to nerf them) is the Skill Slots from her armor. Furthermore, the Destruction Growth made her never need to use outdated equipment or lose her armors benefits.
Without Skill slots, Hydra was unusable. Devour did have synergy by storing mana but her mouth takes up less than 1% of her character model and that's where Devour is used from. Skills in the Hydra-skill tree easily require 80-100+ MP per cast. Even the lower end of Poison Magic require 10+ MP per cast which makes it a 1-2x per combat trick and the poison damage from it is significantly lower.

Of note: After the 1st event, Sally gets a UNIQUE SERIES from a dungeon and it has neither Skill Slots nor Destruction Growth. The same can be said for Chromes' UNIQUE SERIES and Izs' UNIQUE SERIES(?). When they were nerfing Maple, they probably noticed how dangerous it was to give Skill Slots and Destruction Growth to items that aren't preset. Also, we can infer that the UNIQUE SERIES items are "generated on kill" rather than available in predetermined database.
Jul 27, 2020 10:36 PM
Nov 2018
kyled00m said:
You skipped that an item with Skill Slots (not A skill slot) has 1 skill slot per 15 levels the player has, with a minimum of 1. When Maple hits level 30, she'll have 2 slots on her body armor, 2 slots on her shield, and 2 slots on her weapon. This becomes 3 at 45, and so on.

Ah, indeed did forget that haha. :p
There's likely many little things I've forgotten but will edit in later, as I often do, sometimes to the detriment of the readability of the post lol.

kyled00m said:

Let's look at skills.
Although Shield Proficiency N or Great Shield Mastery N (English Dubbed anime) makes it easier to use a great shield, it also grants damage reduced by N%.

Yep, forgot this one too, and didn't include Evasion/Parry which both, too, reduces damage taken by 1%. :p

kyled00m said:

Seeping Chaos is actually similar to Hydra, Dedicated Affection/Loving Sacrifice, and Machine God. It's a skill that has sub-skills. These include Predator, Seeping Chaos, and Atrocity. It's somewhat obvious what Predator and Atrocity do. Seeping Chaos works similar to the Hydra skill in that it creates a colored energy that can be manipulated somewhat like the the King of Junk battle. The usage where it increases the range of the predator monsters isn't explained well.

Believe it or not, the thing that made Devour & Hydra "broken" (they're not broken, even in the beginning and there was little reason to nerf them) is the Skill Slots from her armor. Furthermore, the Destruction Growth made her never need to use outdated equipment or lose her armors benefits.
Without Skill slots, Hydra was unusable. Devour did have synergy by storing mana but her mouth takes up less than 1% of her character model and that's where Devour is used from. Skills in the Hydra-skill tree easily require 80-100+ MP per cast. Even the lower end of Poison Magic require 10+ MP per cast which makes it a 1-2x per combat trick and the poison damage from it is significantly lower.

Of note: After the 1st event, Sally gets a UNIQUE SERIES from a dungeon and it has neither Skill Slots nor Destruction Growth. The same can be said for Chromes' UNIQUE SERIES and Izs' UNIQUE SERIES(?). When they were nerfing Maple, they probably noticed how dangerous it was to give Skill Slots and Destruction Growth to items that aren't preset. Also, we can infer that the UNIQUE SERIES items are "generated on kill" rather than available in predetermined database.

As for this all, much I didn't know about, or think about! :p Seeping Chaos I did know was similar to Hydra in that it had Sub-Skills, didn't know the Seeping Chaos worked like that though. I assumed it just buffed the Predators.
I did know Hydra was pretty much unusable without Skill Slots, did not know about the specifics of how Devour works though!
She does use Hydra by consuming all crystals on Shield at max in the first event so yes, it uses a ton (for her) of mana, though part of it costing that much is likely her making the Hydra flood the place in poison.

Thanks for the detailed and interesting post! Gonna edit my post later and likely correct some things, and add a couple of things hehe.
-Kats-Jul 27, 2020 11:16 PM
Aug 9, 2020 6:49 AM

Apr 2014
this series was amazing, loved every bit of it and all i gotta say is im highly looking forward to season 2
"one step at a time"
Aug 21, 2020 4:17 PM

Aug 2013
Pretty worthless anime, it leaves you with nothing - no emotions, no any thoughts, not a single smile since there weren't any jokes. Just another bubble gum tier anime, "kawaii TM" equivalent of Log Horizon - no plot, no meaningful events, all characters here are typical NPC without any development.
Aug 23, 2020 3:11 AM

Nov 2019
I know it's trendy to compare every new virtual MMO series to SAO, but this one actually is quite similar (minus the drama and romance aspects of course).

Like Kemono Michi this show ultimately wanted to do one thing and one thing only (wandering a virtual world while collecting broken power-ups), and in that respect it certainly succeeded.

The problem is that the power-ups start accumulating much too quickly (Demon -> Machine God is practically instantaneous) and sort of overwhelm the character antics. So that part is kind of exhausting.
Aug 23, 2020 12:43 PM

Jul 2009
Offkorn said:
I know it's trendy to compare every new virtual MMO series to SAO..
Why does everyone fail at STEP1?
    Step 1: Watch the anime.
    vs.
    FAILED Step 1: Compare the synopsis to other series and then go into it expecting stuff.

Anyone here seen Aria (the Animation/Natural/Origination/Avvenire)?
It's a story about a teenage girl leaving her home planet, Man-Home (Earth), to go to Aqua (a terraformed Mars) just to be a Undine (gondola tourist guide).
Although it should be treated as another world and terraforming should lead to diseases, wars with aliens, etc., we find our main character just living a daily life. The fact that ships that travel through space exist should lead to intergalactic wars as well but they don't. There's no Man-Home vs. Aqua like we see in Gundam Seed's Naturals vs. Coordinators.
Based on how people shit on Bofuri; Aria 0/10 worst anime ever, right!?
My score for Aria: 8/8/9/7 (Animation/Natural/Origination/Avvenire)
My personal enjoyment score/evaluation of the staff's work: 10/10 Perfect job!

<should-be synopsis: BOFURI!>
Kaede has been reluctantly trying games that Risa has been giving her to try because Risa wants to spend time having fun together. NewWorld Online is a newly released game and Risa pushes it on Kaede who becomes addicted.
Why play a game when you can live in it! The exciting daily life of Maple Tree is about to begin! There's no way she'll eat a whole sheep, right!?
Aug 28, 2020 4:05 PM

Aug 2013
kyled00m said:

Based on how people shit on Bofuri; Aria 0/10 worst anime ever, right!?

No, because Aria is a stylish and relaxed slice of life anime with a specific unusual setting when Bofuri is based on boring by default gaming theme which didn't developed at all, failed in gaming aspects, pointless since there are no deaths or any penalties but still characters acting in idiotic hardcore role-play manner, it's so casual like it's not a PvPvE MMO but some kind of Sims Online. And most important thing, it's calling itself a comedy only because it hasn't any plot to begin with. And this crap will have several seasons because of people with an attitude: "Hey, look, another one no brain, no sense, no entertain anime, so FUN!". It's even worse that MILF Isekai anime for example it's just has another type of fan service.
Aug 28, 2020 5:46 PM

Nov 2019
Lawgun said:

No, because Aria is a stylish and relaxed slice of life anime

So someone who likes slow and relaxed shows doesn't like fast random-styled ones? What a surprise.

The problem here is clearly that this show (and ones like it) were never designed to appeal to you in the first place. That doesn't make it bad, rather it means you need to get better at identifying what type of shows you enjoy watching so you can avoid the ones you don't. Being able to separate personal enjoyment level from technical quality might also help prevent such off-base accusations.
Aug 29, 2020 3:28 AM

Aug 2013
Offkorn said:
So someone who likes slow and relaxed shows doesn't like fast random-styled ones? What a surprise.

Are you talking about yourself or your delusions? I like relaxed and fast-paced anime if they are good in its own genre. It's clear that Bofuri is slow and boring on many levels including pathetic abstract combat, nonsense dialog and worthless relationships in genre which should be fast-paced and full of events and interesting characters since it's about MMO. Game-themed anime exist only because they are lazy and cheap most of times equivalent of classical fantasy anime since it doesn't need any plot or development.

Offkorn said:
The problem here is clearly that this show (and ones like it) were never designed to appeal to you in the first place.
There is no any reason for existing of slice of life MMO anime at all, it's worthless in its conception. This anime is equivalent of freemium grinding game.

Offkorn said:
That doesn't make it bad, rather it means you need to get better at identifying what type of shows you enjoy watching so you can avoid the ones you don't. Being able to separate personal enjoyment level from technical quality might also help prevent such off-base accusations.
Your argument sounds no better than "there are stupid things for stupid people, stop complain" but since this crap has so high rating I won't. Who cares about technical quality of anime when it's core is a garbage? Game with a good graphics but awful gameplay, movie with great effects and stunning scenes but without any plot or sense, a painting which was drawn with expensive and best quality paints but it has only a "blot" on canvas. I don't care about fanbases and stables they belong to. It's better you stop living in delusions so you can able to separate personal enjoyment level from technical quality (which is irrelevant most of times) it might also help you to prevent such off-base accusations.
LawgunAug 29, 2020 3:38 AM
Aug 29, 2020 11:43 AM

Jul 2009
Spoiler tag to shorten post. (the un-tagged portion should be enough to understand the blocks of text hidden)

Lawgun said:
.. but since this crap has so high rating I won't.
Your real reason for causing hysterics. Get off the forums. Your bias doesn't not need to match everyone else. We're not your clones and you're not our Queen Ant/Bee.
When I say the anime production company shit on the series and exploited it base just to sell fanservice and references to other series, it labels what is wrong with the series. Your comment suggests you are god and everyone should do and believe what you say.
#FreeWill
Aug 29, 2020 2:18 PM

Aug 2013
kyled00m said:
Your real reason for causing hysterics. Get off the forums. Your bias doesn't not need to match everyone else. We're not your clones and you're not our Queen Ant/Bee.
When I say the anime production company shit on the series and exploited it base just to sell fanservice and references to other series, it labels what is wrong with the series. Your comment suggests you are god and everyone should do and believe what you say.
#FreeWill
It's pretty retarded to say so much worthless bullshit about "someone wanted this and someone wanted that" and then making a big statement about my bias, hypocrite, since you are kind of king here and decide who should be on forum and who doesn't, it's just laughable. Just keep your pathetic delusions to yourself and let people have their own opinions especially when you can't do any argumentation and just whine about abstract things on anime forum like a psycho.
LawgunAug 29, 2020 2:22 PM
Sep 12, 2020 8:03 PM

Nov 2009
Fun show I just felt that it went in circles a lot, there's only so many "Wow look at Maple go!" scenes I can take before my brain starts to just switch off. I think I would watch a 2nd season.
Sep 19, 2020 1:46 PM

Dec 2015
I like how the devs are taking the Kirito approach while trying to handle Maple. Since she has become the face of their game and pretty much the driving force of people wanting to grind in hopes of battling her. They're just going to sit back and watch the fun. I also like how they all guessed on what Maple was doing right now, but they were all wrong and Maple was in her wooly form, and May and Yui were playing catch.

What a crazy episode this was and episode 11 was. Non-stop action and randomness these two episodes had. I thought Maple Tree was going to lose to Payne during their showdown. I have mixed feelings about the outcome. On one hand, I'm glad that Maple Tree, but there was a part of me that wanted to see them lose. I think it would have been great character development since up to now they haven't lost yet. What do you guys think? Also, Mii is adorable.

This is easily one of my favorites for this year and I can't wait for season 2. Let the randomness continue!
Oct 1, 2020 1:13 AM

May 2009
This last episode basically turned into the most outrageously charming top guild protection racket.

This is a strange series, in that the most villainous actions are those of the protagonists and we're cheering them on just because this is absolutely not how the game was meant to be played and at this point we're just cheering them on to see how much weirder and wilder things can get. And frankly all the players seem to understand this too, knowing that this is just a game, and for all the intensity of battle there's a light-hearted backdrop to it all.

Frankly speaking, if there were a real-life MMORPG that were like this, so chock full of gameplay-relevant secrets/easter-eggs while having not much regard for game balance, and also with so many actually reasonably good-natured players who can sit down and hang out before and after fighting each other to the death, I think I'd love to play this. Unfortunately, I doubt such a game exists.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 1, 2020 8:15 AM

Feb 2016
There is nothing better than thinking a certain anime is bad and turns out to be fantastic !!!!!

I absolutely loved it....
Oct 14, 2020 7:39 AM
Dec 2019
Very very fun show, it's not good nor it's bad it's just plain FUN I have no issues with it! I look forward to season 2 can't wait to see what Maple does next.
Oct 14, 2020 8:37 AM

Nov 2013
The biggest insult I can give to this anime is that SAO is better. Big time. This was absolutely dreadful. It took me a week to drag myself finishing this series because there's nothing in it. No plot, nothing at stakes, no lore, no world-building, no bad guys it just cute girl playing MMO. The premise fail too, what's the point of having protagonist who only good at defense when in the end she got all the strongest attacking force available in the game.

2/10
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Oct 23, 2020 1:52 AM

Oct 2019
Definitely dumb but fun and enjoyable show to watch while you relax after long day of work, no ecchi, no douchebag villains, no rape scene unlike that other overrated VRMMO show with plain boi mc and his sea of harem. Here it's just Maple doing Maple things like.. spread poison on the sea or turned into godzilla and massacre everyone. Yep, very harmless show. Looking forward for S2.

8/10
andrearionaOct 23, 2020 2:14 AM
Oct 25, 2020 10:02 AM
Oct 2020
Stumbled across this thread, reading some of the replies really makes me laugh. First things first, compare it with SAO. Like dude, no one cares.
Nov 16, 2020 6:10 AM

Oct 2013
Gosh I HATED this anime. And of course she beat the top player with her op stupid skills. Like WTF, her boss form is weaker than the bosses they beat to changes level and it wreck literally everyone ???

So op, so dumb, so unfair. It's worse than SAO in so many ways, I can't even believe it. And I think she's the worst stupidly OP Mary Sue MC I've seen in at least a decade, if not in my entire life.

I chose to watch this anime to my November Challenge because I thought it was going to be fun and cute lol what a mistake, if it wasn't for it I would have dropped it into oblivion

Also this is the worst game ever lmao, can you actually imagine a game like that ? No balance, stupid skills almost all uniques for one player to have, player max defense with better dps than dps, even the developpers don't know their own game (WTF ?), win op items / skills (just them, of course) by doing some random quests everyone should be able to do, + transforming into level bosses basically...

Welp, to conclude, it was a pain in the ass and I'm so happy I'm done for now with this anime ffiu! :D

Good for you if you can shut down your brain to enjoy "cute girls playing a bad VR game", I certainly can't.
Nov 19, 2020 3:19 AM

Aug 2017
how much did the anime adapt from the novels?
Dec 2, 2020 11:57 AM
Apr 2016
Meh, nothing special here, but a little above an average score of 5. It was a pretty cute and sweet show, but the action scenes were dry for me. The story is as generic as it gets though, so it's all about the execution.
Dec 12, 2020 8:22 PM

Jan 2011
Pretty funny, especially the comments people write about Maple. First half was better with Maple acquiring more skills, and people generally being more surprised than supportive, but still nice.

Ovbiously the game would not work like that in real life, or at least i seriously doubt that it would. Absolutely no balance, and you reach "endgame" within a couple of days even when you have no idea hat you are doing. Also, they are releasing event after event and additional content at the same rate - not possible to sustain that.

But who cares, the game doesn't have to work in real life, and it makes the show obviously way more interesting than them waiting for 5 hours for a boss to respawn only to have someone else get last hit, so they show us 3 episodes of them grinding the same boss over and over, only to make no progess at all..

And it's not like they don't understand that, they seem to have a good grasp of MMOs, with e.g. the mother in the quest where Maple got the archangel skill spouting nonsense lines because the "barely escape forest" dialog got triggered when they flew over it, not having met any monster at all.

Actually, despite being completey over the top i'd say it's probably the best representation of an MMO, with how NPCs behave, how players interact with each other, or how to interact with the world - many do away with stuff like menus, cooldown, MP cost etc. soon enough, so that there is no difference anymore between "stuck in MMO" or "actually in a different world".

Only thign a bit annoying where the admins/developers or who those guys are supposed to be. They don't really mesh with the rest of the anime. Normally they would work as comedic relief, but the whole show is a comedy, so whats their point? And why do they appear to meet in the game with weird characters, and what the game through the same kind of view screens that allow players to follow events while being in game? if that is all they have it's no wonder they have no idea whats going on. Well, maybe they will get explored a bit more in the next season..
Dec 19, 2020 11:03 PM

Jan 2012
And so Maple in her Atrocity form eats her way to victory...or at least 3rd place. I'm not sure I really have much to say about this one. For the most part I found it cute and charming. The characters and story were likeable enough and I've never played an MMO in my life! Not that that stops me from checking out shows like this that have one at the center. It was only later on that I bumped my score up from the standard 7/10 level good to 8/10 level great and I'm not sure it deserves it, but I'm in a good mood so I'll keep it there. I look forward to seeing the second season.
Jan 9, 2021 11:51 PM

Jan 2010
So the event ends with seven Godzilla-like Devil Maples going on a rampage and either devouring or lighting up players in unholy fire.

Bofuri is an extremely fun anime, and I think I understand why. It's definitely a power fantasy aimed at people who like anime and fantasy MMORPGs, but the goal here isn't to attain the strongest powers, but to attain the weirdest, most absurd powers imaginable. It's fun because it's not about how Maple ends up winning, but the crazy antics she comes up with to somehow win. She's also a fun character to support, because she's not purposefully trying to break the game.

Maple's just trying to have fun coming up with crazy skill combinations, all the while getting through conundrums with insane ideas. Who thinks of eating a demon from the inside out? Who thinks of having a giant flying turtle to rain acid death on everyone? Who thinks of attaining poison immunity, dunking themselves into a ball of poison, and using it as a means of fast transportation? By the end of the anime, Maple was a walking fortress poison-spewing Hydra angel demon mecha, and she did all this while just trying to have fun playing the game.

Another thing about Bofuri is all the other player characters. There are certainly super serious players, but they're also all just playing the game. There's no hard feelings over winning or losing, and they can all be friends by the end. In essence, Bofuri is all about having fun, and I'm glad it didn't try to spur any drama, especially with how easy a PvP subplot could get dramatized. Now, all that's left is to wait until season 2.
Jan 30, 2021 3:54 PM

Jul 2016
That "Counter" skill was such an asspull. Only way to justify the fact of dealing damage to a player who is like 40 levels above you.

Well, this series was what it was. Entertaining when it was only about Maple gaining crazy skills while dealing with bosses but utterly underwhelming when it focused on PvP confrontations since we already knew how things will end with such broken MC.

Regarding cast, Maple as protagonist was nice and pretty likeable but the rest of characters were absolutely forgettable. Especially Sally, who was such a bland co-protagonist I couldn't help but feel disappointed with the amount of screen-time she ended up receiving.

6/10 - Also damn, they really overkilled that insert song by using it in almost every episode...
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2020

95 by Gvendoline »»
Mar 1, 3:37 AM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2020

168 by Gvendoline »»
Jan 18, 3:02 PM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2020

123 by Gvendoline »»
Jan 17, 7:19 PM

» Unacceptable Developer Response to Maple (spoilers through Ep. 3) - I'm cancelling my MMO subscription

Oiisu - Jan 14, 2023

12 by Foreall908 »»
Jan 16, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aversa - Jan 6, 2020

282 by Gvendoline »»
Jan 16, 5:50 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.