Forum Settings
Forums

'Yakusoku no Neverland' Western Live-Action Series in Development

New
Jun 10, 2020 9:31 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Amazon is developing a live-action series based on Kaiu Shirai and Posuka Demizu's Yakusoku no Neverland (The Promised Neverland) manga, according to entertainment news website The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday.

Rodney Rothman and Meghan Malloy, known for their works in Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse, are directing and penning the show, respectively. Rotham and Malloy are also serving as executive producers alongside Masi Oka (Death Note), and Vertigo Entertainment's Roy Lee (The Grudge) and Miri Yoon (Polaroid). Fox21 Television Studios and Amazon Studio are producing the series, which will be released on Amazon's Prime Video platform.

Synopsis
At Grace Field House, life couldn't be better for the orphans! Though they have no parents, together with the other kids and a kind "Mama" who cares for them, they form one big, happy family. No child is ever overlooked, especially since they are all adopted by the age of 12. Their daily lives involve rigorous tests, but afterwards, they are allowed to play outside.

There is only one rule they must obey: do not leave the orphanage. But one day, two top-scoring orphans, Emma and Norman, venture past the gate and unearth the harrowing secret behind their entire existence. Utilizing their quick-wittedness, the children must work together to somehow change their predetermined fate. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Shirai and Posuka began serializing the fantasy thriller manga in Weekly Shounen Jump in August 2016. Shueisha released the 18th volume on March 4, with the 19th volume scheduled for release on July 3 (pictured). Yakusoku no Neverland has a cumulative 21 million copies of its volumes in circulation worldwide.

VIZ Media distributed the first three chapters of the manga in English alongside the Japanese release as a part of its Jump Start initiative and subsequently serialized it in their digital Weekly Shonen Jump magazine. The company now publishes the series simultaneously on its new Shounen Jump platform. The 15th volume went on sale on June 2.

A 12-episode television anime adaptation produced by CloverWorks aired in Winter 2019. A second season was originally slated for Fall 2020, but has since been delayed to Winter 2021 due to the effects of the COVID-19.

Shueisha announced a Japanese live-action film adaptation in September 2019, which will open in theaters on December 18.

Source: Comic Natalie, The Hollywood Reporter

News submitted by Aiimee
VindstotMar 4, 2021 10:03 PM

Jun 10, 2020 9:43 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Yet another series gets the Hollywood treatment.

I feel like this could work with the right budget and time but I’ll be keeping my hopes minimal at best.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 10, 2020 9:58 PM

Apr 2020
Will they cast kids or will they cast teens ?
I have a bad feeling about this

Jun 10, 2020 10:06 PM

Jul 2016
I think with the first arc its gonna work. With how TPN is similar to western series and movies.

Jun 10, 2020 10:13 PM

Sep 2018
Why? Why? just why?
Jun 10, 2020 10:33 PM
May 2020
Tbh if they they can just follow the anime, And not CHANGE anything unlike the shitty Death Note adaption then i think it's gonna be an alright live adaption.
Jun 10, 2020 10:33 PM

Apr 2009
epsilon4 said:
Will they cast kids or will they cast teens ?
I have a bad feeling about this

You mean cast people in their twenties and call them teens.
Jun 10, 2020 10:52 PM
Feb 2012
why does this 💩 get so much traction? Have people not read this atrocity past the first two arcs?
Jun 10, 2020 11:04 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
I'm really trying to believe this will be good... that I will enjoy it... I loved the manga... I thought the anime was damn good but even that left out the internal dialogue, and wasn't nearly as good... How can Hollywood make it even worse!?
Spider-Verse, maybe it's good... Death Note, how can it be good!? I'm really doing my best here to believe.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 10, 2020 11:18 PM

Apr 2020
To be honest i have never seen one live action based on manga/anime that i like, just hope isnt that bad.
Jun 10, 2020 11:20 PM

Sep 2019
ahneeme said:
why does this 💩 get so much traction? Have people not read this atrocity past the first two arcs?
have you ever considered that maybe, just maybe, the majority of opinions isn't the same as yours?
one piece
episode 321
15:46 (or 16:33)
you're welcome
Jun 10, 2020 11:22 PM

Dec 2019
I don't understand why everything needs a damn live action movie -_-
Jun 10, 2020 11:26 PM
Feb 2012
shuu-tsukiyama said:
ahneeme said:
have you ever considered that maybe, just maybe, the majority of opinions isn't the same as yours?

no because those opinions are wrong
Jun 10, 2020 11:45 PM

Aug 2015
Tbh i think this really, REALLY could work out fine. Especially since in the first arc, there wasn't much demon appearances...
But let's see...

After all, this means we got two live action of the same source material...

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Jun 10, 2020 11:50 PM

Sep 2019
ahneeme said:
shuu-tsukiyama said:

no because those opinions are wrong
or maybe no opinion is wrong and everyone has a different one?
one piece
episode 321
15:46 (or 16:33)
you're welcome
Jun 11, 2020 12:20 AM
Jul 2018
The super genius kids are sort of believable in animated form but might seem too fantastical in live action.
Jun 11, 2020 12:42 AM

Aug 2018
But why.

I don't understands who wants this.
_______I like rocks__
Jun 11, 2020 2:34 AM
Jul 2019
Ehh, I don't know about this chief.
Jun 11, 2020 3:07 AM

Sep 2011
Be right back, gotta wash the puke from my mouth.

"They escaped the weight of darkness,
to forge a path into the marrow of the spirit.
They chose to drown in a deeper vacancy,
an emptiness that quells the null,
a pool for the forgotten..."
Jun 11, 2020 3:07 AM

Jun 2008
can't wait to see 25 years olds playing 12 year olds
Jun 11, 2020 3:28 AM

Jun 2016
For some reason the premise sounds harder to fuck up than other adaptations. The first season at least (I haven't read the book) isn't very FX heavy, it features a multiracial cast that hollywood loves lately and it can capitalize on the little kids hype (kek that sounds wrong) with stranger things. Also kaiu and posuka are some weird ass names.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jun 11, 2020 3:43 AM

Feb 2020
No, just no. Who thought this was a good idea? Not everything can be made into a live-action, let alone a Hollywood live-action. I don't need Amazon screwing up everything, we've already got Netflix for that.
OrangeJuicelolJun 11, 2020 3:53 AM
Jun 11, 2020 3:49 AM

Dec 2014
Let me guess... They will complain that all the actors need to be Asians, then they make the female lead in a sexually ambiguous black girl, and make one of the guys Asian and one Mexican, and at least one of them is gay or queer. Instead of females the orphanage will be administered by a Caucasian man, and all the demons will actually white men with horns... A decade ago I really wanted anime adaptations done by Hollywood, but now I just wish they would forget that Japan even exist... at least until Western peoples grow some ball and send the woke movement to trash.
Jun 11, 2020 6:09 AM

Dec 2018
Amazon shows tend to be pretty good from what ive seen so lets hope this also turns out well.
Jun 11, 2020 6:33 AM

Apr 2011
Ah yes, child actors. What could possibly go wrong?
Jun 11, 2020 7:33 AM

Mar 2018
And it will suck as do all live action remakes
Jun 11, 2020 8:08 AM
Apr 2020
This manga and anime series means a lot to me so my hope is that they at least handle this series with the care it deserves. The Promised Neverland is a series that deals with a lot of themes that need to be handled carefully in order for the horror element to work. I'll be interested to see just how they decide to tackle this and what direction they decide to go, however, I do fear that it certainly will not live up to many anime and manga reader's expectations.
Jun 11, 2020 8:12 AM
Apr 2020
kronopy said:
Let me guess... They will complain that all the actors need to be Asians, then they make the female lead in a sexually ambiguous black girl, and make one of the guys Asian and one Mexican, and at least one of them is gay or queer. Instead of females the orphanage will be administered by a Caucasian man, and all the demons will actually white men with horns... A decade ago I really wanted anime adaptations done by Hollywood, but now I just wish they would forget that Japan even exist... at least until Western peoples grow some ball and send the woke movement to trash.

You're probably not even wrong and that's the sad thing. Western directions usually don't care about sticking to the original source material for the most part, and now they usually try to pass as "all inclusive," while applying painfully obvious stereotypes, usually to the gay or queer characters. At this point we can only really hope that they take this series for what it's supposed to be, though i highly doubt it.
Jun 11, 2020 8:41 AM

Jul 2009
As much as I dislike live-action adaptations of any kind, I can understand why Amazon decided to go with this series. The premise feels similar to those dark fantasy stories saturating the western young adult genre.

Don't have much hope for it turning out good, though. Only silver lining I can think of is that Amazon had the incentive to pick up the golden gem that is Vinland Saga.
Jun 11, 2020 10:20 AM

Aug 2016
SPIDER-VERSE DIRECTOR LES GOOOO
Jun 11, 2020 10:46 AM

Jul 2016
kronopy said:

But this kind of trash is also nice. Nice that they pay the creators but everyone will hate their pc bs. People who want to watch garbage will watch garbage, and it's profitable to make it. If you want quality you have to stick to the original.
Jun 11, 2020 10:53 AM
Dec 2013
Amazon has some great originals in their catalogue, so I'm optimistic when it comes to this Hollywood adaptation. If they make it a miniseries to begin with, it might be a great 8 ep ride when they leave the orpahage. You don't even need a big budgets. Cast the kids as unknowns and put in some great character actors in the adult roles. They prob need to change up some stuff. Manga to live-action need some reworks. This happens all the time. Just look at Marvel. This and Bebop might be OK. Why do we need to be so salty. Producers do track interest, so why not hype up projects we want to happen.
Jun 11, 2020 11:09 AM

Jun 2014
Can Hollywood just come up with new, original stories and leave the manga/anime stuff alone please....
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jun 11, 2020 12:24 PM

Apr 2019
This sounds like a complete trainwreck waiting to happen to the point that I'm actually kind of excited to see it lol

The main cast is either going to be child actors or 20 year olds cast as 12 year olds, and I can't tell which would be worse
Jun 11, 2020 2:17 PM

Oct 2008
I like The Promised Neverland a lot, but this is a hard pass for me. Absolutely not.

I wish Hollywood and their ilk would stay away from anime/manga. Especially with their recent tendencies to screw up and twist the many well loved series/franchises they get their hands on.
Jun 11, 2020 2:49 PM
Apr 2016
Why...? I mean, there is already going to be Japane live action, why would you make another one? Even before the first live action aired...?
Jun 11, 2020 3:36 PM

Nov 2015
All I have to say is that The west will not like the Portrayal of sister krone. For obvious reasons
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jun 11, 2020 3:51 PM
Nov 2016
You know, as skeptical as I am, I think this is the one live-action adaptation that could work in all honesty. The fact that some of the writers and the director from Into The Spiderverse is part of this project honestly give me a glimmer of hope already, as Spiderverse is an amazing film! Doing a bit more research, Fox 21 doesn't have much recognizable shows (at least to me that were enjoyed by a lot of people), however, Vertigo entertainment has actually worked in co-production with many not only good films, but high grossing ones such as It and it's successor, every theatrical Lego Movie, The Ring and it's sequels (and the god awful 2019 threequel sadly), Doctor Sleep, The Disaster Artist, and a ton more movies. While there isn't any television credits in Vertigo's catalog, they're experience shows a lot of promise. Of course, there are others factors that could determine the quality, one example being who they cast, etc. Overall I'm still skeptical, but I'm looking at this one with open arms. (Just don't cast adults to play the kids. That's all I'm asking for.)
Jun 11, 2020 7:40 PM

Dec 2007
kronopy said:

You should probably calm down dude. You're making like 20 assumptions based on your own preconceived notions. It's kinda why the MAL forums are trash, so many angry dudes complaining about SJW's, of which they've only seen on youtube and not real life.

It'll probably be shit but not because of "PC culture", it'll be because they give it the Hollywood treatment with shitty one liners and hollow character rewrites like DBZ or GitS. It's more likely they make it a copy of maze runner or hunger games than it is they cast diverse characters to be "PC".
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 11, 2020 8:01 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
I wonder how they'll mess this one up...

kronopy said:

OMG don't give them ideas!
Jun 11, 2020 8:33 PM

Jul 2010
Am I the only one who's actually excited about these news? This is probably one of the most suited manga series ever to be turned into a western live-action.
I just hope that the characters are actually children, portrayed by good child-actors. I expect a vibe like Strange Things.
Jun 11, 2020 9:09 PM

Aug 2016
Wildcat17 said:
Am I the only one who's actually excited about these news? This is probably one of the most suited manga series ever to be turned into a western live-action.
I just hope that the characters are actually children, portrayed by good child-actors. I expect a vibe like Strange Things.

If they give it a Stranger things treatment, it could be great (despite some awful cgi demons) but I still wouldn´t set my expectations that high.
:v
Jun 12, 2020 6:24 AM
May 2020
Why, god? WHY?! It's gonna be terrible, or these really are the ends times.
Jun 12, 2020 6:33 AM

Feb 2010
Tbf this series seems will not be that hard to make as live action, i agree if they give Stranger Things treatment it could be great, but even if in a lower budget it'll be fine, but we'll see...

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

Jun 12, 2020 11:52 PM

Aug 2012
I just know this will be complete shit and even more so when I read this:

"Rotham and Malloy are also serving as executive producers alongside Masi Oka (Death Note)"

The Death Note live action is an abomination. So I already see this live action already at a level close to trash before it even aired.

Live actions always turn to shit. Never get your hopes up with these things. Have the lowest of the low expectations.
Jun 13, 2020 8:33 AM

Jan 2016
Obligatory there's no such thing as good live action comment.
Jun 13, 2020 12:42 PM

Oct 2010
"Amazon is developing a live-action series based on Kaiu Shirai and Posuka Demizu's Yakusoku no Neverland (The Promised Neverland) manga, according to entertainment news website The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday."

::closes tab::
Jun 14, 2020 10:59 AM
Nov 2015
Im afraid of this already. Better keep my expectations low :S

More topics from this board

» 'Dungeon Meshi' Second Cour Reveals Additional Cast, Theme Songs, Third Promo

DatRandomDude - 1 hour ago

3 by Playcool »»
36 minutes ago

» 'Kusuriya no Hitorigoto' Second Season Announced

Nioxys - Mar 23

18 by Adnash »»
3 hours ago

» 'Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest' Unveils Main Staff, Summer 2024 Premiere

Vindstot - Mar 11

25 by Juventinoaymen »»
3 hours ago

» 'Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf' Reveals Additional Cast, Staff, Third Promo

DatRandomDude - Mar 21

19 by HloFrndz »»
5 hours ago

» 'High Card' Gets New Episode

DatRandomDude - Mar 25

3 by Memore »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.