Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Yearly Manga and Light Novel Rankings for 2020 (First Half)

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 28, 2020 2:25 PM
Jul 2009
Daniel_Naumov said:
Zefyris said:

None. AFAIK Oricon chart does not count foreign sales at all (not even foreigner buying on Japanese websites with a foreign address)

Oh how disappointed I am in the most esteemed Japanese race... Thank you for this information.
Daniel_Naumov said:
Zefyris said:

None. AFAIK Oricon chart does not count foreign sales at all (not even foreigner buying on Japanese websites with a foreign address)

Oh how disappointed I am in the most esteemed Japanese race... Thank you for this information.

Stop being salty, you jackass
May 28, 2020 2:38 PM
May 2016
Hannatach said:
NG_Chloe said:

I would, but it's not available in my country

http://sensescans.com/reader/series/kingdom/

I can probably work with this, thanks
May 28, 2020 2:46 PM

Jul 2019
We have a king here, and his name is Kimetsu no Yaiba.
Apaixonado por jogos e animes.
May 28, 2020 4:35 PM

Jul 2015
Guys I think people like Kimetsu no Yaiba
May 28, 2020 4:39 PM

Sep 2013
Overlord surpassing SAO now, hopefully it continues after vol 17.
May 28, 2020 7:24 PM

Mar 2015
dabjiro dabbing on all of you.

Zefyris said:
... wait a minute kusuriya no hitorigoto 's LN is a 300,000 in 6 months? Woot? I've been reading it but I never knew that was this popular Oo. It's above even Overlord? How did that happen? ;O

the manga adaptation is in top 50 manga sales per volume. IT IS THAT BIG.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 28, 2020 8:10 PM
Jul 2019
Jesus Christ, how much do you love Kimetsu no Yaiba Japan?
May 28, 2020 10:04 PM

Oct 2013
I have notice the interest in manga sales has dropped for a year or more, I remember a few years back there would be plenty of discussions on the thread and I'm going on other popular websites and I'm little discussion on those as well, so its not mal but just overall lost in interest.
May 28, 2020 10:44 PM

Mar 2015
keragamming said:
I have notice the interest in manga sales has dropped for a year or more, I remember a few years back there would be plenty of discussions on the thread and I'm going on other popular websites and I'm little discussion on those as well, so its not mal but just overall lost in interest.

reddit community one is more lively
https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/gs9orr/news_top_10_half_year_manga_sales_2020_by_oricon/

it's just we didn't have big fanboys wars like big 3 eras used to be anymore.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 28, 2020 11:07 PM

Dec 2011
Zefyris said:
... wait a minute kusuriya no hitorigoto 's LN is a 300,000 in 6 months? Woot? I've been reading it but I never knew that was this popular Oo. It's above even Overlord? How did that happen? ;O

It's long been a member of the increasingly small club of series that consistently get 30k+ sales per volume before dropping out the weekly rankings without any anime or live action adaptation. However since February last year it has somehow developed a spectacularly strong long tail, and it has only dropped off the weekly series rankings once since then (on w/c 23rd December 2020)
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
May 28, 2020 11:13 PM
Aug 2016
@keragamming Ah yes, I remember now. Thanks for the clarification.
May 29, 2020 2:59 AM

Apr 2011
Overrated anime! KnY should be grateful to Ufotoable. Only reason.
May 29, 2020 3:04 AM

Apr 2013
kuuderes_shadow said:
Zefyris said:

It's long been a member of the increasingly small club of series that consistently get 30k+ sales per volume before dropping out the weekly rankings without any anime or live action adaptation. However since February last year it has somehow developed a spectacularly strong long tail, and it has only dropped off the weekly series rankings once since then (on w/c 23rd December 2019)

In other word, since the end of that one year hiatus and the vol 8 being published. I wonder what happened between those two volumes for it to gain such irregularly long trail.
May 29, 2020 5:57 AM

Mar 2016

Simplest reason why I don't bother going in this place, just look at the comments, it's freaking 800, with at least 60,000 views. But to be fair, this place isn't bias unlike that site.
May 29, 2020 6:22 AM

Mar 2015
mootjee said:
Overrated anime! KnY should be grateful to Ufotoable. Only reason.
glittered turd is still turd. do good anime help? yes, but not a solely factor. 5 toubun is successful while fire force is a flop should show how much good animation can only help, but that's it. even ufotable can't save tales of zestria and god eater.

Zefyris said:
kuuderes_shadow said:

It's long been a member of the increasingly small club of series that consistently get 30k+ sales per volume before dropping out the weekly rankings without any anime or live action adaptation. However since February last year it has somehow developed a spectacularly strong long tail, and it has only dropped off the weekly series rankings once since then (on w/c 23rd December 2019)

In other word, since the end of that one year hiatus and the vol 8 being published. I wonder what happened between those two volumes for it to gain such irregularly long trail.

same with slime, the manga adaptation exploded. first mentioned in kono manga sugoi award (not win but highly ranked), then win Tsugi ni Kuru manga few month after it. it's strong upward stream after it.

youseiki said:

Simplest reason why I don't bother going in this place, just look at the comments, it's freaking 800, with at least 60,000 views. But to be fair, this place isn't bias unlike that site.

one of reason i didn't like upvote system, it create hive mind mentality.
May 29, 2020 6:52 AM

Jan 2016
No, no I wont take that KnY bait. Gonna commenting the other instead,

Top LN sales list is just like the other years, nothing new. Ok there's a new one, Kusuriya no Hitorigoto, never heard it before.

oh wait SAO still continue? lmao Glad to see Overlord V14 there cuz yeah that's definitely hyped.

Oregairu last volume, as expected. Also it's good that last volume of KonoSuba is on top 10 tho.

Slime is still strong with its both manga and LN sales, if KnY not included, pretty sure Slime manga is gonna be on top 10, just like the other years.

Also damn, really need to catching up YouJitsu, already V12 huh.

Mahouka is also in the last stage of story, so yeah it's all good.
May 29, 2020 7:17 AM

Nov 2019
Detective1412 said:

Top LN sales list is just like the other years, nothing new. Ok there's a new one, Kusuriya no Hitorigoto, never heard it before.

oh wait SAO still continue? lmao Glad to see Overlord V14 there cuz yeah that's definitely hyped.

Oregairu last volume, as expected. Also it's good that last volume of KonoSuba is on top 10 tho.

Slime is still strong with its both manga and LN sales, if KnY not included, pretty sure Slime manga is gonna be on top 10, just like the other years.

Yeah I'm liking the LN list. Oregairu and Overlord ending probably boosted the sales.

Btw, just like you didn't ask when the big 3 will end when going strong, just like that you don't ask when SAO and Toaru will end. Lol. They are pretty much the driving forces behind the industry. I'm genuinely surprised that Toaru isn't in these lists for past 3 years.
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
May 29, 2020 7:39 AM

Jan 2016
biswa290701 said:

Yeah I'm liking the LN list. Oregairu and Overlord ending probably boosted the sales.

Btw, just like you didn't ask when the big 3 will end when going strong, just like that you don't ask when SAO and Toaru will end. Lol. They are pretty much the driving forces behind the industry. I'm genuinely surprised that Toaru isn't in these lists for past 3 years.

Oregairu and *KonoSuba.
Overlord will end in V17 iirc.

lol yea, been reading it till first volume of alicization, but it seems not my things so I don't really care about it.

Pretty sure Toaru NT already ended last year(?) We waiting for part 3 that coming this year.
May 29, 2020 12:23 PM

Mar 2016
demon slayer dominating the charts

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
May 29, 2020 1:36 PM

Nov 2019
Detective1412 said:
biswa290701 said:

Oregairu and *KonoSuba.
Overlord will end in V17 iirc.

lol yea, been reading it till first volume of alicization, but it seems not my things so I don't really care about it.

Pretty sure Toaru NT already ended last year(?) We waiting for part 3 that coming this year.

Oh volume 17 of overlord didn't release yet? I've basically read only till volume 10 so I didn't know. Btw, I don't read toaru, I'm only an anime-only. Reading it is a pretty daunting task. Lol.

But yeah I do read SAO and I'm updated with it. Probably you'll like this one. It's the highest rated SAO media but I still think it's underrated. Lol
https://myanimelist.net/manga/43921/Sword_Art_Online__Progressive?q=Sword%20art%20
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
May 29, 2020 2:51 PM

Jul 2016
Detective1412 said:

I think SAO going strong and hyped too. Overlord latest volume is hyped but anime is trash.

May 29, 2020 10:16 PM

Feb 2012
OPbros..........

How do we recover this is insane, at least KnY is over.
May 31, 2020 3:09 AM
Jan 2013
Koshi_Inaba said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Daniel_Naumov said:

Ok, KnY fanboy, no need to be salty about someone's reasonable opinion.
"How am I supposed to face the problem when the problem is my face?" - W.Lui

"A real man forgives a woman for her lies." - Sanji

"First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes adults flying through a portal in the sky." - NettoSaito

"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago." - A newbie
May 31, 2020 5:09 AM
Jul 2009
Lelouch_Darsi said:
Koshi_Inaba said:

Ok, KnY fanboy, no need to be salty about someone's reasonable opinion.

Ok, op fanboy, no need to be salty about someone's reasonable opinion.

Btw, being disappointed because the japanese has a different taste than your own is NOT a reasonable opinion, it's moronic at best
Koshi_InabaMay 31, 2020 5:13 AM
May 31, 2020 5:10 AM
Jul 2009
Ramkec said:
OPbros..........

How do we recover this is insane, at least KnY is over.

Yeah, not really. There's still a movie and second season, so the hype is going to continue for a while
May 31, 2020 6:17 AM

Dec 2011
biswa290701 said:

Index hasn't warranted mention in terms of "driving forces behind the industry" in many, many years now. If it ever was.

As an aside, I've always found it bizarre that Index is always the series that keeps getting mentioned in that sort of context - yes, it's a long runner, but there are others that have been around longer. Yes, it was one of the best selling series about 7 or 8 years ago, but it was never more than one of, and it hasn't even been that in a long time now. Plenty of more successful series have ended in that time.

And I very much doubt Kamachi would stop writing if he finished Index, so it wouldn't even mean losing a prominent author...
kuuderes_shadowMay 31, 2020 6:38 AM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jun 2, 2020 4:24 PM
Dec 2018
kuuderes_shadow said:
biswa290701 said:

Index hasn't warranted mention in terms of "driving forces behind the industry" in many, many years now. If it ever was.

As an aside, I've always found it bizarre that Index is always the series that keeps getting mentioned in that sort of context - yes, it's a long runner, but there are others that have been around longer. Yes, it was one of the best selling series about 7 or 8 years ago, but it was never more than one of, and it hasn't even been that in a long time now. Plenty of more successful series have ended in that time.

And I very much doubt Kamachi would stop writing if he finished Index, so it wouldn't even mean losing a prominent author...

Because according to Wikipedia, Toaru novels reached 30M sales in 2018 which is very rare for a novel series.

But yeah all the awards the series won was like 7-9 years ago and despite the fact that there is still an active fandom and the goods still sells quite a lot, the novels sells aren't so good anymore.
Jun 2, 2020 11:44 PM

Dec 2011
Koldmotro said:

Because according to Wikipedia, Toaru novels reached 30M sales in 2018 which is very rare for a novel series.

The novels haven't sold that much. The franchise as a whole has sold that much, including manga adaptations and spinoffs. It's also a worldwide figure.
Jun 3, 2020 2:37 AM

Apr 2013
Kuma said:

same with slime, the manga adaptation exploded. first mentioned in kono manga sugoi award (not win but highly ranked), then win Tsugi ni Kuru manga few month after it. it's strong upward stream after it.

But we're talking about a LN, not a manga, and Slime LN has been doing good for a very long time (+ got an anime to help it, whereas Kusuriya did not)
Jun 3, 2020 3:42 AM

Mar 2015
Zefyris said:
Kuma said:

But we're talking about a LN, not a manga, and Slime LN has been doing good for a very long time (+ got an anime to help it, whereas Kusuriya did not)

LN is the same, tho only on kono LN ga sugoi iirc. but the manga adaptation of kusuriya definitely exploded.
Sep 12, 2020 8:13 AM
Jul 2019
Jesus Christ, the jump from Top 2 to Top 1 is insane. How come Kingdom is so popular in Japan yet no one's talking about it outside? Are Japan's and the International's taste polar opposites? Cause even the Top 1 anime (Tiger and Bunny) in Japan is barely talked about in the international community.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - 4 hours ago

7 by RobertBobert »»
40 minutes ago

» Light Novel 'Saikyou no Shienshoku "Wajutsushi" de Aru Ore wa Sekai Saikyou Clan wo Shitagaeru' Gets TV Anime in Fall 2024

Vindstot - Apr 21

8 by modcarparking »»
3 hours ago

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

11 by modcarparking »»
3 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
6 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.