Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 18, 2020 9:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm starting to wonder what really Haru values about love.

Rikuo and Shinako's relationship is somewhat slowly progressing. On the other hand, it looks like Haru offered up a movie invitation (kinda like a date I guess?) to Rikuo. Feels like this episode got quite tense in the second half. I wish Rikuo showed up sooner for the movies...making Haru wait like that in the rain isn't cool.

Apr 18, 2020 11:13 AM

Feb 2019
Been the longest week ever. This is by far my fave show of the season and I’ve been looking forward to the new episode after last week’s amazing ep.

I really really like Haru as a character, her design, voice, aesthetic, everything is perfect to me. I love the fact we’ve got this type of love triangle playing out too.

The physical closeness of Shinako and the MC with the emotional distance between the two reminds me of some shinkai films and I love that type of romance set up. Really hurt me to see Haru get stood up like that and made to cry. https://imgur.com/a/Q7jIg2E

At least we got a make up at the end!

These types of shows hit different when you’re single and alone

For anyone who’s wondering “Nonaka” written 野中 means in the middle of the field, I think it’s a fitting name for Haru as well when you consider her personality and how she’s run away from home.

Another great episode, can’t wait for next week! I think DG have this one finished so should be good to air without delays. If this show gives me 15 more eps at this quality it’ll go in my top 10.
Marinate1016Apr 18, 2020 11:42 AM
Apr 18, 2020 11:33 AM

Mar 2010
I'm liking haru more and more, she doesn't show much self laothing but chases after she wants even though she knows the odds are stacked against her, everyone else just seem like virgin losers that need to get laid. Like wtf is up Rik not being able to keep a simple promise? A mans word shouldnt be such a weak thing. if you say you will do something then do it. ffs lolz

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 18, 2020 11:38 AM

Aug 2018
Poor Haru... She looked unbelievably cute in her movie date outfit. Also the maid outfit on the Vespa...

Shinako's clearly conflicted about her feelings, and she didn't come off in a very sympathetic light this week after telling Rikuo she didn't want to be friends anymore last week. Can't have it both ways.

The animation, direction and voice acting continues to impress here. Loving this show.

9/10

Any word about a post-credits scene for this week?
Set SCE to AUX
Apr 18, 2020 11:42 AM

Aug 2013
Another great episode.

Good thing there was no truck-kun.

Haru is a great character and I want her to be happy and end up with Rikuo.

Apr 18, 2020 11:48 AM

Mar 2016
Haru looks cute as hell in those close-ups with her goggles up on her helmet.
Apr 18, 2020 12:02 PM

Jul 2017
From an adaptation perspective, this might be the best of the season. It really does take all the material and adapt it beautifully. Pacing has been really top notch, the characters have been really good, the visuals have been some of the best of the season (with the likes of Tower of God), the soundtrack is so subtle yet perfectly compliments the subtle nature of this love triangle. I absolutely have loved these first 3 episodes, love these characters a lot more after loving them in the manga, and I'm so glad this manga is a full adaptation from the looks of things with 18 episodes. This has truly been a joy to watch.

My anime of the season is still probably Kingdom Season 3 but that's cause the material for this season is godly from the beginning and the adaptation has been very solid. Even with minor flaws, that would still be best of the season. But this show is not too far away due to how stellar this adaptation has been currently.
animejasApr 18, 2020 12:05 PM
Apr 18, 2020 12:03 PM

May 2014
I swear, this show really reminds me of True Tears. The girls not only look really alike, but their personality is similar too.

This one seems to be more mature, though. Which doesn't come as a surprise, considering the age of the characters, and I like it this way. I just wish the story follows a different path, though. Haru is too cute and such a solid character, my heart won't by able to cope if Rikuo ends up choosing Shinako anyways.

As for the technical side of it, I must admit that neither the art nor the sound managed to impress me much, but the director is surely making the most out of it. Not a single scene felt low on quality or weirdly arranged. Let's see if they can keep this up.
Apr 18, 2020 12:09 PM

Oct 2010
The animation in that scene where Haru yelled at Rikuo ran to her was really nice. Again, I'm loving the art and really everything about this. Still my favorite of the season

Ishikami said:
I swear, this show really reminds me of True Tears. The girls not only look really alike, but their personality is similar too.

Same. I think I posted on twitter or maybe here in episode 1 that Haru reminded me of Noe. Which makes me fear for her lol.Haru is amazing which generally means she'll likely lose cuz anime/manga tend to be lame like that >.<

Apr 18, 2020 12:13 PM

Apr 2018
Yare yare women are complicated, aren't they? I must admit that Haru is cute.
Apr 18, 2020 12:25 PM

Feb 2020
God i love this show so much, only 1 ep a week hurts. Rikuo hurting Haru in turn hurt me. I’m hurt
Haru x Rikuo💕 or death
OneofEvilApr 18, 2020 12:49 PM

Apr 18, 2020 12:27 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great episode, yet again! This is really turning out to be a gem, definitely one of my top three from the season so far and I can only hope it'll keep this up to the very end.

Didn't have that overall melancholic vibe from the last episode but it's a given considering this was a episode focused on Haru-chan. She's just a treat to watch really. Unsurprisingly, some unusual family problems too.

Anyway, keeping that aside, it really wasn't nice at all from Uozomi to keep her hanging like that under the downpour.

Haru looking to go into plan B there in the end was nice to see but I really can't help and fear that the worst is awaiting for her. Ah, kusou!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 18, 2020 12:33 PM
Feb 2020
I really enjoyed this episode.

All three characters are being explored in such an interesting manner, Shinako's conflicted feelings about Rikuo, Rikuo showing he still cared about Shinako even after she rejected him and told him they shouldn't be friends as well as his genuine regret about missing the film with Haru and Haru being concerned about Rikuo and deciding to go against her tendency of not forming proper bonds with others.

I can't wait to see where the story goes!
Apr 18, 2020 12:48 PM

Jun 2013
Very good episode, even if him missing the date really irritated me
Apr 18, 2020 12:48 PM
Apr 2019
I didn't expect the adaptation in the scene when Haru yelled at Rikuo would be this perfect.
Apr 18, 2020 1:04 PM

May 2018
Haru thinking of calling Rikou, but wtf do them Japs still use a rotary dialing phone????

So Milk Hall where haru works in a coffee house during the day and a bar during the night, but WTF, seriously they deliver coffee in a pot, not a fancy kind of Coffee like that in Starbucks, just ordinary coffee????
JiangHaoyi1979Apr 18, 2020 1:30 PM
Apr 18, 2020 1:05 PM

Jul 2014
It hurts so much to see Haru sad. Seriously, how can you not root for her!?

That said, I like Shinako too. In fact, the only one I don't like in this show is Rou, he seems like the kind of character who's just there to be annoying and create unnecessary drama. I hope I'm wrong.
Apr 18, 2020 1:06 PM

May 2019
The two teenagers in this show are so cute. I want to see more of the safety pin earring dude.

This anime is definitely one of the best this season.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Apr 18, 2020 1:08 PM

Feb 2011
Rikuo has an extremely small brain. That is all.
Apr 18, 2020 1:14 PM

Jul 2017
wow first Rikuo gets infected with corona then blatantly coughs into his hand, touched the cloth from the bento and gave it back when he was done without cleaning it s m h

for realz I desperately hope this doesn't end up being a case of Shinako inadvertently ruining the thing between Haru and Rikuo (like a certain domekano). felt bad for Haru getting stood up like that although she did take it like a champ
Apr 18, 2020 1:20 PM

May 2015
Poor Haru. :((( At least she is in better mood now.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Apr 18, 2020 1:37 PM

Jan 2013
i got so worried that she’ll get stood up the more he stayed at the other girl’s place...then he looked at the clock and like eh 11 is not too bad...then she actually did got stood up >.<
he totally should simply said he overslept which is actually true

im really digging these showed centered around adults the past few years, this is no exception
Apr 18, 2020 1:44 PM
Feb 2016
Crow loli confirmed best girl Spring 2020.
Apr 18, 2020 1:46 PM

Sep 2017
A cliched event but it was not handled in an annoying dramatic way. Cute episode and am looking forward to the next.
Apr 18, 2020 1:51 PM

Oct 2018
Man, I like how mature the characters are in this anime. They are actually acting like real people

I'm glad this episode ended with Haru being cheerful again, I'm starting to like her, and it was pretty sad seeing her depressed
Apr 18, 2020 2:03 PM

Mar 2019
every Saturday I am waiting for a new episode...and the wait is totally worth it. Each episode is until now so good.

I have the feeling the a triangle is not enough...Rou will also have a big impact on this I guess....
but you cant never let a girl like Haru who is smiling like that, wait for you and dont show up.....
Apr 18, 2020 2:07 PM

Mar 2008
The manga won the lottery, holy crap!
I'm super amazed by how well they adapted the story, and they even announce and make fun with they changes they're making!

But i'm getting tired of writing so much about this, no way I'll translate all the threads and forum posts just for you otakos, but if you're interested here is the tweeter thread.

Oh, just one thing, this will NOT BE DELAYED,right?
It's impossible to deliver this level of animation even of banal moments on a short notice, this was animated months ago, right?
Just this scene had, I think, 94 unique frames of animation:

Apr 18, 2020 2:15 PM

Mar 2013
OK this episode made me love Haru. I was choosing Shinako over her but I find her dynamics with MC more fun to watch.
Also she looked better with glasses :(
Apr 18, 2020 2:26 PM

Feb 2017
Not really fan of type of drama from this episode but thankfully they got over it quickly.
Apr 18, 2020 2:38 PM

Jan 2018
That's it, I'm finally rooting for Haru. Protect that smile!

Now, most of her life has been revealed here. She really looks different if not dressed in black.
Apr 18, 2020 2:38 PM
Apr 2016
Mori-dono said:
Yare yare women are complicated, aren't they? I must admit that Haru is cute.

It is worth noticing that men are just as complicated. Even though Rikuo does not "feel" about Haru, he is still answering her feelings in kind, to an extent. Willing to go with her to the cinema, feeling bad about breaking his promise to a girl he does not "love".

Where lies the border between gentleness and affection?
PaninaManina said:
The manga won the lottery, holy crap!
I'm super amazed by how well they adapted the story, and they even announce and make fun with they changes they're making!

But i'm getting tired of writing so much about this, no way I'll translate all the threads and forum posts just for you otakos, but if you're interested here is the tweeter thread.

Oh, just one thing, this will NOT BE DELAYED,right?
It's impossible to deliver this level of animation even of banal moments on a short notice, this was animated months ago, right?
Just this scene had, I think, 94 unique frames of animation:

We are talking about 90% of facial and head animations, are we not? Facial expressions are not as tricky as full-body or complex camera flow animations. Haru got a lot of different facial expressions here, and it is commendable, as it would actually JUSTIFY the need to produce a daily-life drama into an animation medium. Otherwise, however, we have several different facial expressions on a fixed background (head and hair included). This "animation even of banal moments" is all there is. While not many series preoccupy themselves with it (the latest re-makes of Gundam are known having everything that can realistically move at the given moment diligently animated), for a "slice-of-life" facial expressions and transitions are the only way to show the effort of the animators working on the adaptation.

This should not mistakenly seen as exceptional, and instead understood as a norm for a self-respecting, decent adaptation and studio working on it.
Daniel_NaumovApr 18, 2020 2:46 PM
Re:formed
Apr 18, 2020 2:51 PM

Apr 2018
Haru just entered top 10 strongest characters of all time. Who in her emotional circumstances would have done what she did how she did? And I have to say I kinda wanted her to just scram. Well fiction is awesome like that, it allows oneself to create super tough people D:
Apr 18, 2020 3:02 PM

Mar 2008
Daniel_Naumov said:

We are talking about 90% of facial and head animations, are we not? Facial expressions are not as tricky as full-body or complex camera flow animations. Haru got a lot of different facial expressions here, and it is commendable, as it would actually JUSTIFY the need to produce a daily-life drama into an animation medium. Otherwise, however, we have several different facial expressions on a fixed background (head and hair included). This "animation even of banal moments" is all there is. While not many series preoccupy themselves with it (the latest re-makes of Gundam are known having everything that can realistically move at the given moment diligently animated), for a "slice-of-life" facial expressions and transitions are the only way to show the effort of the animators working on the adaptation.

This should not mistakenly seen as exceptional, and instead understood as a norm for a self-respecting, decent adaptation and studio working on it.

Yes, it's facial expressions, but not every anime have this many expressions. The characters don't emote, it's just simple common expressions on their faces. Even when there's a cene where they put more effort it's not like this. Look at this scene again, it's 94 unique drawings!

The animation in this is very, very impressive. The characters are not just moving, they are acting! Look at this scene:

Look how she walks deliberately and spins.
It's very rare to see a TV animation this good, to se an anime with a simple scene like this where the character doesn't goes off model horribly and because of this I don't believe the episodes will be delayed. They need a great amount of time in advance to do all this work.
Apr 18, 2020 3:09 PM

Mar 2017
I respect Haru so much for having the courage to look at her commitment issues and actively decide to change what she doesn't like about them. I think it's so nice that she and Rikuo don't feel the pressure to define their relationship but that's going to become a problem if he keeps putting Shinako first knowing Haru has feelings for him.
Apr 18, 2020 3:15 PM

Dec 2014
hmmm simple things...are always the hard to get comprehend off
Apr 18, 2020 3:16 PM

Oct 2019
Great episode. Haru is such a likeable character. Episode 4 and she is already getting amazing character development. The direction was top notch. It’s got a great atmosphere to it. This is already turning out to be better than most romance I have seen. The only thing that is missing is making the rest of the cast as likeable but we have plenty of time to do that.
Apr 18, 2020 3:36 PM

May 2014
Fantastic episode. The OST for this show is so damn beautiful; I loved the music that played when Haru was on her Vespa and thinking about how she's running out of places to run away.

I take back what I said in EP1 about Haru being a MPDG, really nice to see her mindset this episode. That being said, I have no idea what she sees in Rikuo... she deserves WAY better.
Apr 18, 2020 3:51 PM

Apr 2020
in the beginning I ship Rikou with Shinako,but after watching this episode I changed my mind, now I ship Rikou with Haru
Apr 18, 2020 3:54 PM

Mar 2019
Another week another episode and now i'm left again wanting more. Haru x Rakuo got some development this ep, which is nice, they're cute, but i really ship Rakuo x Shinako more... This episode really had me on the edge of my seat, when Rikuo ran out to meet Haru in the rain after he forgot about the movie and there was a crowd and Haru wasn't there, i genuinely thought something had happened to her!
So many unexpected little tidbits that keep me hooked and wanting more, this is the kind of series i'd typically binge in a day or two, and having to wait a week between episodes is hard, but i've managed it these past 2 weeks, so i'm sure it won't kill me.
I'm hoping for some more development on Shinako, i think she's a really interesting character and deserves her shot.
Overall great ep and i'm already impatient for next week, this could be anime of the year, no doubt.
LumyhApr 18, 2020 3:59 PM
Apr 18, 2020 4:10 PM

Sep 2011
I felt bad for Haru. She was so happy that Rikuo agreed to go to the movies with her that she even "shared her happiness" by being kind with Rou, who she met by chance and was still just a stranger. But it's not like Rikuo was wrong to go and take care of Shinako. She took food to him when he was sick, and they are friends, even though things are complicated between them right now, who live close to each other and by themselves. It wouldn't be right of him to ignore her when she got sick herself. And it isn't like he chose to take care of her instead of going to the movies with Haru like a thoughtless jerk or anything like it. He just got careless and stood Haru up like that, who waited for him, worrying, alone in the rain. And I feel like her reaction and thoughts about this were very relatable and real in a way. Oh, and her relationship with her mother was kind of weird. They somehow felt close and distant at the same time. Welp, I'm still not sure about Rikuo and Rou, though I'm hopeful now, but Haru and Shinako are definitely compelling. Can't wait for more, I'm officially in love with the ED song too.
Apr 18, 2020 4:20 PM

Sep 2019
Again a very fantastic episode. The OST, characters and animations were nearly perfect. I really like this show. 100% certain that this will turn out as one of the best shows this season if not the best.
Apr 18, 2020 4:21 PM

Mar 2019
Really liking the story so far and the main protag is trying his best haha. Haru is super cute too but real about it, liked the twist at the end. Great playoff
Apr 18, 2020 4:55 PM

Mar 2016
Chibi Haru looked cute with glasses.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Apr 18, 2020 5:05 PM

Nov 2016
At the end I simply would've said that idiots don't catch a cold, lol. But honestly, Haru has gotten even more likeable with this episode dedicated to her character. The focus on how she's approaching love or better said the relationship to someone was nice. There was a decent amount of development and pacing as well as the production in general are indeed more than solid. Great watch so far.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 18, 2020 5:39 PM

Dec 2015
PaninaManina said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Yes, it's facial expressions, but not every anime have this many expressions. The characters don't emote, it's just simple common expressions on their faces. Even when there's a cene where they put more effort it's not like this. Look at this scene again, it's 94 unique drawings!

The animation in this is very, very impressive. The characters are not just moving, they are acting! Look at this scene:

Look how she walks deliberately and spins.
It's very rare to see a TV animation this good, to se an anime with a simple scene like this where the character doesn't goes off model horribly and because of this I don't believe the episodes will be delayed. They need a great amount of time in advance to do all this work.

Glad someone else noticed it besides me! The animation for this show is incredibly well done. Sure it's not as complicated as some fight scenes, but you can tell this is not one of those low-budget cash grab like so many others.

That said, I'm not surprised with the quality of the show. Doga Kobo is low key one of the best studio when it comes to hand-drawn animation (Like ep12 of Watashi ni Tenshi ga Maiorita!). Their animation is not flashy like Ufotable, nor unique as Trigger, but everything they make is super solid. I always felt that they are super underrated, and deserves way more attention then they currently have.
XXXXXXXXXIIIApr 18, 2020 5:42 PM
Apr 18, 2020 5:39 PM

Apr 2015
3 episodes in and I amazed at the quality of this show up to this point! Everything is just great so far and if they can keep up this quality, this might just be ranked pretty high at the end of its run!

The fact that this is happening about 3 decades ago (my guess would be like early 90's) is also really nice, I don't see it often in the modern days of Anime!

Haru is a girl that just gives me so much positive energy that I find if hard to explain in mere words! Just seeing her on screen makes me oddly smile!

Poor Haru though, waiting at the cinema in the rain for Rikuo to show up only to be let down by him not showing up. I get her reaction to it, but Rikuo can't blame himself too much for being late after taking care of Shinako, especially cause she had done the same for him! I am just glad it got fixed at the end!

Animation was incredible, so many lovely and amazing scenes (like Haru's rides on her scooter) that I just can't wait to see more!!
Apr 18, 2020 5:51 PM
Sep 2015
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
Haru thinking of calling Rikou, but wtf do them Japs still use a rotary dialing phone????

So Milk Hall where haru works in a coffee house during the day and a bar during the night, but WTF, seriously they deliver coffee in a pot, not a fancy kind of Coffee like that in Starbucks, just ordinary coffee????

the manga dates back to 1997
Apr 18, 2020 6:12 PM
Jan 2018
I like this show but I find Haru near insufferable.
Apr 18, 2020 6:23 PM
Apr 2020
JiangHaoyi1979 said:

The manga was released in 1997, so the world is different for the modern perspective, dont focus too much on those things xD
Apr 18, 2020 6:29 PM

Jan 2011
Out of all the new shows that manged to come out this season this ones my top number one it's soo good and it looks great ,i'm not on team Haru but gotta give the girl props shes tough and how she was able to reflect on her own terms of commitment even if it wasn't her fault in the first place but still managed to face it and move on was nice to see.

still the anime logic of getting sick but a small amount of water strikes again

also shocked we don't have a OP each week i been waiting for it and nothing it works just i don't think i've seen any recent anime's that do this
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zyjJanApr - May 9, 2020

150 by SadMeat »»
Jan 29, 11:09 AM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2020

443 by StandingSitting »»
Jan 11, 1:23 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2020

160 by Stargurll02 »»
Jan 6, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2020

123 by komikvalentine »»
Nov 18, 2023 11:46 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2020

204 by littlebiglyon »»
Nov 15, 2023 2:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.