Forum Settings
Forums

Mediocre rated anime you love and think is actually damn good

New
Mar 30, 2020 9:43 PM

Sep 2014
not anime most people hate that you love, I feel like that makes a little sense because if people hate it, it was enough to stick in your mind at least and have people talking about it.

mediocre anime is so sadly forgetten, is is neither good enough to be hated or loved. it is just mediocre. something people just watch to add to their list before moving on to their next watched anime.

think anime that is ranked like 5- 6-7. not 8-9 or 1-4.

slightly inspired by an infamous mal user who watches a bunch of anime and has like a trillion posts and does "reviews", who left a totally MEDIOCRE review on an anime I love and hold close to my heart.

enjoy in topic discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 30, 2020 9:47 PM

Oct 2009
From the recent winter season, I did enjoy the Idol Anime "22/7". It's score is around 6.88, at the moment, but there were couple of elements that I did enjoy especially its somber feel to it.

OreSuki is another one which is about 7.5 and that's enjoyable for what it is.

Those are the two that are in my head, at the moment. :)
Mar 30, 2020 10:21 PM

Apr 2012
I loved Bakuon and Long Riders. They are kind of similar and I feel like nobody liked or hated it very much. When I watch them I want immediately go outside and ride a bike, so this my guilty pleasure.
Mar 30, 2020 11:04 PM

Oct 2019
Blend-S is scored 7.4. I think that qualifies as "mediocre".
I just think that is the best comedy ever. I laughed so hard, I think it has very good characters and good structure and plot. The ending isn't that good tho. But the episodes were outstanding! 100% recommended
Mar 30, 2020 11:14 PM

Aug 2018
Binan Koukou Chikyuu Boueibu LOVE! is rated only 6.95, and seeing it being in the 6s range I thought it would be pretty meh/bad but was pleasantly surprised. It was hilarious as a parody, which is what it was supposed to be. I loved how ridiculous everything was, watching it was an enjoyable experience.
Mar 30, 2020 11:18 PM
Jul 2018
I haven't seen even one person talk about Backstreet Girls: Gokudolls, but I think it's the funniest shit that has ever come out of Japan.

It takes setting in a yakuza trio that, rather than being killed and giving their organs, they made them choose to have a sex change surgery in Thailand, with the goal of making them the most popular idol group of Japan.

It shines in its cringiness, making every scene so uncomfortable to watch, so surreal, that makes me laugh out loud like no other anime ever even got closed to.

It also helps that the production of this anime's pretty low quality, having hardly any animation, while having its characters move in a very clunky way. The seiyuus are top notch, all of them fulfil their purpose, specially Jotaro, he's the man.

For this and more, this comedy will never leave my favourite list, not until they release a second season at least.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/36873/Back_Street_Girls__Gokudolls
Mar 30, 2020 11:28 PM
Jul 2018
Digimon Universe Appli Monsters: Yeah, it's pretty zoomer-y and takes a while to get going, but once it does it's easily on par with classic Digimon.

Key the Metal Idol: Actually a really solid sci-fi show with some social commentary that still rings true today. Yes, there's some pacing issues and a literal feature length exposition dump, but it's still very enjoyable.

Dragon Half: It's funny in that 90s cornball sort of way. What more is there to say?

Also how is 7 "mediocre"? I thought that was a good score.
removed-userMar 31, 2020 1:06 AM
Mar 30, 2020 11:35 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
I will never stop mentioning Uta∽Kata.
I genuinely believe it's an underrated dark magical girl anime that needs more love than MAL's 6.77 rating.

These two are genuinely cute to see, too.
Mar 30, 2020 11:40 PM
Jul 2019
Hitoribocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu
It was too wholesome and cute not to love it
Mar 30, 2020 11:47 PM

Jul 2019
Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to The Animation is rated 7.25, but it is hilarious. It's one of the series with 'harem' and 'ecchi' tags that I've actually enjoyed watching. I think that score is so low because it is a short anime (13 minutes per episode), and people have a tendency to rate those lower.
Mar 31, 2020 12:04 AM
Jul 2018
Well these might be mediocre , but I actually think that they don't deserve to be called mediocre...
- 3D Kanojo (Igarashi Iroha is a top tier waifu)
- Watamote (Tomoko is true to herself and her tries to make her popular among guys is not only funny but sad most of the time. It really hurts to see her going through that, but I always wish that she succeeds XD. Show is not cringy -_-)
- Rakudai kishi No Cavalry (really good love story XD)
Mar 31, 2020 12:21 AM

Jun 2016
6.7-7.8 is considered a mediocre mean score around here but I've enjoyed almost every anime in that bracket that came out before 2000. The small fanbase these shows have on mal scores closer to how I do.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 31, 2020 12:27 AM

Aug 2019
The Black Jack OVA is rated 7.78. I feel like MAL's general ratingbase should have scored this one much higher, perhaps around 8.2. I gave it a 7/10, which is 1.62 higher than my average.
Mar 31, 2020 12:53 AM
Mar 31, 2020 1:00 AM

Jan 2018
will i ever stop talking about boogiepop phantom (2000)? guess not. it's in the low 7s, awesome show, if ur into 2000s weirdness.
Mar 31, 2020 1:17 AM

Apr 2019
A Certain Scientific Accelerator.

Score: 7.13

I love it because I'm a big fan of Accelerator.
Mar 31, 2020 1:18 AM

Apr 2017
Teekyuu and NieA Under 7 are two comedies with sub-7 ratings that are among my favorites in the genre.

Edit: The first JoJo OVA gets a fair bit of flak but it is definitely worth watching for anyone who likes the series or simply appreciates good animation.
S-H-I-N-YMar 31, 2020 1:26 AM
PFP source: Pixiv/Twitter
Mar 31, 2020 1:18 AM

Oct 2010
almost all 80s OVAs are enjoyable to watch and they are miles better than your regular 12 episode tv anime. And also Kitakubu, is an incredibly funny anime, it's sol, high school and the girls are cute, yet it has a 6.4 or whatever, I scored it a 9

who was the reviewer who broke your heart? do you want me to go to their profile and tell him off?
Mar 31, 2020 1:22 AM

Mar 2018
I really love Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records and Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin, out of the people I know that have watched these shows I seem to be the only one that actually enjoyed them.
Mar 31, 2020 1:23 AM

Jan 2015
Kabukichou Sherlock just finished up last week and that definitely deserves more than a 6.9. It was funny and had pretty good characters. Tiger Mask W only has a 7.0, but it def should be at least a 7.5 or 7.6. Great artstyle, animation, and characters that make for a good show with one of my favorite fights of all time. Only down side is that it had a good amount of boring episodes.
Mar 31, 2020 1:25 AM

Sep 2014

My thoughts exactly. That show was quickly forgotten once it finished airing, that is really sad.
Mar 31, 2020 1:29 AM

Jul 2015
Harukana Receive

12 consecutive beach episodes of quality beach volleyball. Very good as a sports anime as well.
Fanservice is God-tier and is not just boobs flailing around for no reason like in 95% of ecchi shows, but just cute girls in swimsuits playing beach volleyball. Give it a watch!

Mar 31, 2020 1:47 AM

Jan 2011
Pascal-sensei comes to mind. I'd have thought it'd manage to get into the 6 range at least.
Mar 31, 2020 1:51 AM

Dec 2017
"what's in a mediocre anime" sounds like the title to a anituber video

ot: most shorts are considered mediocre by the community because of their obvious time/budget constraints to downright hated and called "a waste of time" (ironic, considering how short they are), and "pointless".
Personally think they are not bad if you don't have the time to watch multiple 24-min episodes or outright don't want to watch them. People tend to go into these shows with unrealistic expectations and they leave disappointed that a 3-5 minute show didn't give them an epic story or characters.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Mar 31, 2020 1:56 AM

Aug 2018
Pet from this season.Currently it has a rating of 6.2.It's in my top 5 winter 2020.The concept and premise of this show is really intriguing.
Mar 31, 2020 2:24 AM

Jun 2019
Well, I haven't actually seen anything rated 1-4 anyway (going by MAL's collective rating; I have a few 4s and a 3 in my personal score, but no 1s or 2s at all). And I'll refrain from mentioning anything in the high 7s or above.

So I'll only include those rated by MAL's userbase in the lower to mid 7s, 6s, and 5s and for which I myself rated at an 8 or above.

- Koi Kaze MAL rating: 7.19/10. My rating: 10/10

- Gallery Fake MAL rating: 7.52/10. My rating: 9/10

- Beatless MAL rating: 6.23/10. My rating: 9/10

- Aishiteruze Baby MAL rating: 7.51/10. My rating: 9/10

- Happy Sugar Life MAL rating: 6.99/10. My rating: 8/10

- Aku no Hana MAL rating: 7.16/10. My rating: 8/10

- Petshop of Horrors MAL rating: 7.29/10. My rating: 9/10

- Sora no Woto MAL rating: 7.57/10. My rating: 8/10

- Kodomo no Jikan MAL rating: 6.91/10. My rating: 8/10

- Angel Cop MAL rating: 5.95/10. My rating: 9/10

- Fune wo Amu MAL rating: 7.66/10. My rating: 8/10

Fario-P said:

Don't ever cease. Thanks to your herculean plugging efforts I just completed the series this past weekend.
WatchTillTandavaMar 31, 2020 2:28 AM
Mar 31, 2020 3:13 AM

Jul 2016
mikerjw said:
The Black Jack OVA is rated 7.78. I feel like MAL's general ratingbase should have scored this one much higher, perhaps around 8.2. I gave it a 7/10, which is 1.62 higher than my average.

Have not seen the anime but am a big fan of the manga, would you recommend the anime? If so from where, as from what I see there are a lot different incarnations like the monogatari series.
Mar 31, 2020 3:22 AM

Jul 2016
Well here goes nothing, some of these may be to highly rated to be "mediocre" I dunno, all seems subjective to me

1: Shigofumi
2: Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi
3: Gamers!
4: Ani ni Tsukeru Kusuri wa Nai!
5: Juuni Taisen

Mar 31, 2020 8:07 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Since the avarage MAL users can't use the rating scale a mediocre score would be around 7.3 to 7.8 or so I guess. Although considering the kind of series reaching the very top of MAL I guess this could go up to 9.23

Asagao to Kase-san: 7.81, personal: 9
Flip Flappers: 7.72, personal: 8
Denpa-teki na Kanojo: 7.63, personal: 9
Flying Witch: 7.57, personal: 9
Gabriel DropOut: 7.55, personal 9
Kakegurui: 7.51, personal: 10
Imouto sae Ireba Ii: 7.46, personal: 8
Wataten: 7.45, personal: 10
Aikatsu: 7.43, personal: 9
Maria-sama ga Miteru: 7.38, personal: 8
Strawberry Panic: 7.34, personal: 10
Sono Hanabira: 7.31, personal 10

A lot of my favourites are in ''shit'' tier at sub 7 thought: Kanamewo, Sasami-san@Ganbaranai, Happy Sugar Life, Ore Twintail ni Narimasu, Kiratto Pri☆chan, etc.
Mar 31, 2020 8:36 AM

Sep 2018
For some reason Angel's Egg is rated as 7.
Mar 31, 2020 8:39 AM

Sep 2018
Roevhaal said:
Since the avarage MAL users can't use the rating scale a mediocre score would be around 7.3 to 7.8 or so I guess. Although considering the kind of series reaching the very top of MAL I guess this could go up to 9.23

If you used the rating scale correctly most shows would be 5, second most 4/6 and so on. Unless you actively seek out bad shows.
Mar 31, 2020 8:57 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Ramy_Stereo said:
Roevhaal said:

If you used the rating scale correctly most shows would be 5, second most 4/6 and so on. Unless you actively seek out bad shows.
I don't need to, they find me. 5's are still fairly lukewarm to me as it is.
Mar 31, 2020 9:13 AM

Feb 2010
That seems irrational. If I find an anime to be mediocre I can't find it 'damn good' at the same time. It contradicts each other. I either think one thing or the other, but never both at the same time. Mediocre ratings are not given to anime I find 'damn good'.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 31, 2020 9:15 AM

Sep 2018
Pullman said:
That seems irrational. If I find an anime to be mediocre I can't find it 'damn good' at the same time. It contradicts each other. I either think one thing or the other, but never both at the same time.

Dude it's about anime that are rated mediocre on MAL, not anime you find mediocre
Mar 31, 2020 9:20 AM

Jul 2016
Tenkuu no Escaflowne has a 7.7 but it deserves a high 8.
Colorful movie has a low 7 but also deserves a bit higher I believe.
Mar 31, 2020 9:26 AM

Feb 2010
Ramy_Stereo said:
Pullman said:
That seems irrational. If I find an anime to be mediocre I can't find it 'damn good' at the same time. It contradicts each other. I either think one thing or the other, but never both at the same time.

Dude it's about anime that are rated mediocre on MAL, not anime you find mediocre

oh okay, so he just refers to 90% of the DB which has scores between 5 and 8?
That's even more practical, narrowing it down to 90% of all anime out there...

If I started listing all the anime in that score range that I liked we'll still be here next week. But well, I guess it makes sense to diguise your 'what anime do you like?' listing thread somehow so it doesn't get locked.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 31, 2020 9:28 AM

Mar 2018
cross ange: tenshi to ryuu no rondo. i remember loving this anime so much
Mar 31, 2020 9:39 AM

Jun 2019
I don't think I have anything on my list that I both loved and is universally rated under a 7.. I know, it's a boring answer.

Mar 31, 2020 9:41 AM

Aug 2009
AnimeFreak-San said:
"Mediocre rated anime you love..."

Ikk-

AnimeFreak-San said:
"...and think is actually damn good"

...I got nothing. Perhaps I'm just being facetious for the sake of it, but I wouldn't describe Ikkitousen as a "good" show as if it's genuinely underrated and appeals to more than just a specific audience.

Mar 31, 2020 9:43 AM
Dec 2019
Definitely Pet from this winter, this is the first anime that i found becoming the victim of MAL's mediocre score as i dont really have so much anime list.
Mar 31, 2020 9:47 AM

Mar 2020
Gintama and Steins;Gate. Both were average at best but I've actually liked some parts and therefore I rated them with 6s.
Mar 31, 2020 11:38 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
Fario-P said:

Don't ever cease. Thanks to your herculean plugging efforts I just completed the series this past weekend.
Haha, wow that's great! If you don't mind me asking, how was it? What did you think of it? I'm sure I can tell what the answer is from your second sentence, but... was it worth the watch in your opinion?

Back to OP: I forgot to mention The Cat Returns. I love that movie so much, it's probably the most underrated Studio Ghibli movie that I've seen so far.
Mar 31, 2020 12:59 PM

Jun 2019
Fario-P said:
Haha, wow that's great! If you don't mind me asking, how was it? What did you think of it? I'm sure I can tell what the answer is from your second sentence, but... was it worth the watch in your opinion?

It was definitely worth the watch, although in a technical/literal sense I feel that about most things I watch unless they're outright atrocious which is seldom the case seeing as I'm pretty accurately proactively selective for my own tastes and interests in anime and every other medium.

As far as my estimation of it in a ratings sense, I'm waffling on the fence between a 7 and and an 8, although that's just in my mind as I haven't actually physically given it a rating yet on the site since several weeks ago I took the liberty of suspending my ratings of new series to allow time to take a breather and step back from the perspective of a regular viewer as I fear the tendency to lapse into hyper-critical mode otherwise which may start to adversely affect my enjoyment of anime and really, all art and entertainment. I plan to go back in maybe around six months and rate everything I've skipped rating for now retroactively to allow being removed from the material and the passage of time to inform a new perspective on it.

What I liked or loved:

- The OP and ED. It's been a while since I've seen a series where both the OP and ED (many haven't even been great on either) caught my attention immediately, actually compelled me to listen to them every time, and had me download and add them to my anime-related music playlists on my iPod.

- Manatsu

- The animation, since I'm in the likely minority on MAL who actually not only enjoys or appreciates, but strongly prefers the early and mid-2000s animation and art styles over the present-day trends

- The dualism and symbolic role of the mirror and spirits or entities from the mirror dimension

- The pronounced coming of age themes related to self-worth and self-conception, way of relating to others and the world around you and social standing, body image, and physical and mental health most visible and deftly integrated from the beginning of the second half of the series

- The very Shinto or animistic take on the djinn as and lore/mythology around that as transcendental forces personifying nature and outside man and time. And as chaotic forces beyond man's conception of morality

- The fact that the special or OVA episode (I assume it was originally included on the series' initial DVD release in 2005) provides a preferable, more fitting and conclusive ending than the original last episode of the series' first TV run. I would have been more disappointed and left less fulfilled by the first ending.

- Some of the basic Slice of Life scenes of swimming, eating, and walking on shady summer afternoon streets provided me with a retroactive sense of nostalgia as I would have been roughly the same age as Ichika when the series first aired and tend to relate and experience second-hand nostalgia in that way, and passionately so.

- The "romance" starting with and again going back to self-love

What I disliked or hated:

- Lack of adequate character development for the supporting characters. This is because Ichika and Manatsu are the focus and I actually prefer series where even as few as two main characters are the overwhelming central focus, but the issue here is that in some of those series other characters are a glorified background decoration whereas we actually spend a significant amount of time with supporting characters like Ichika's friend group, but because of the series' length could not be evenly developed in a sufficient manner

- Because the first half is slower and more SoL-esque, this is harmed by the first point, because I actually love slow and SoL series and episodes if I'm invested in the characters they're revolving around. I could watch a 100 episode series of just that with no qualms. But I didn't feel very invested in characters apart from Ichika and Manatsu

- Because of the length again, some plotlines more in the area of subplots are sprung or abandoned rapidly without requisite groundwork and build-up to feel emotionally engaged over them

- I wanted to see more of the djinn and perhaps the mirror realm and less shots of Saya on the prowl stalking from a removed vantage point which I feel like could have filled an episode's worth of runtime

I hope this will be sufficient, but let me know if you believe I've missed a lot or taken the series in a very different manner than yourself or something like that.
WatchTillTandavaMar 31, 2020 1:13 PM
Mar 31, 2020 1:03 PM

Feb 2015
5cm Per Second

7.83 to this masterpiece is a shame.
Mar 31, 2020 1:15 PM

Jul 2015
I always thought that Kasumin was fun to watch, yet it is not too popular or well known.
Mar 31, 2020 1:15 PM

Aug 2016
Chrono Crusade, Samurai Flamenco, White Album 2, NTHT, Last Exile, Gungrave, Bokurano, Koi Kaze, Shigofumi and Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis should all be at least in the 8.10s
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Mar 31, 2020 1:16 PM

Jan 2016
Little Busters! got scored 7.56. It has colorful characters and a good story about friendship.
Mar 31, 2020 1:18 PM

Apr 2017
WhosHaxz said:
5cm Per Second

7.83 to this masterpiece is a shame.

That rating is criminal. I haven't seen Tenki no Ko yet but this is probably the best of Shinkai's other movies.
PFP source: Pixiv/Twitter
Mar 31, 2020 1:25 PM

Aug 2019
sukeban deka!! maybe it's bc im a sucker for sukeban or just badass girls in general but i thought it did the genre and irl show justice!! not just that but i thought the 90s aesthetic bled SO well and it's was just really aesthetically pleasing in general.

watamote as well. i think people disliked it bc it reminded people of them. i thought it was brilliant.

idk if it counts as "average" but gakkou gurashi and paranoia agent deserve FAR higher scores and i felt like people didn't give it a chance.

also the 2019 boogiepop. one of the most underrated and best shows of 2019, i feel like people gave up bc the 1st 3 episodes were backwards.
Mar 31, 2020 1:38 PM

Aug 2018
Well first of all lets clear up a misconception. 7/10 rating is not "mediocre". It's "good".

that being said, three shows Ive rated a 9 have 7 MAL averages.

Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku
Scrapped Princess
Tenkuu no Escaflowne

If I ever re-watch these shows it will be with a more critical eye; I may end up detracting a point.

The fact that they each tell an interesting, complete story with an actual resolution (not a frustrating "read the source material" ending so common in anime) automatically disqualifies them from the 7/10 group.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

116 by Lhundrup »»
2 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

20 by MasterTasuke »»
3 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

73 by traed »»
15 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

69 by MasterTasuke »»
19 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 7 hours ago

16 by LenRea »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.