Forum Settings
Forums

'Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden' Gets Second Season

New
Mar 28, 2020 8:50 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
The 13th and final episode of Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story) ended with announcement on Sunday that a second season for the anime series is in production.

Synopsis
Rumor has it that if a young girl strikes a bargain with a white fairy, it will grant any wish her heart desires. However, in exchange, she will become a magical girl and must put her life on the line to slay fearsome and ferocious witches.

Iroha Tamaki, a kind-hearted middle schooler from Takarazaki City, is living proof that these rumors are true. Armed with a magical crossbow and the ability to heal injuries, Iroha seeks out the labyrinths where witches hide and defeats them before they can prey on humans. Yet Iroha has no memory of her wish, and even Kyuubey, the white fairy himself, seems to have no idea what Iroha requested of him.

One day, Iroha hears rumors of a city where "magical girls can be saved," and finds herself on a sunset train to Kamihama City. Unfortunately, she discovers that the witches in Kamihama are far more powerful than usual. After veteran magical girl Yachiyo Nanami is forced to save her, Iroha vows to never return. But when a chance encounter with a tiny Kyuubey seems to trigger distant memories, Iroha is compelled to investigate the mysterious city despite the danger. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

The television series, originally scheduled for last year, debuted in Japan on January 5. Aniplex of America licensed the anime in North America and streamed it with subtitles on Crunchyroll, Funimation, and HIDIVE.

Gekidan Inu Curry (Goku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei opening director), an animation writer unit comprised of ex-Gainax animator Ayumi Shiraishi and 2D artist Yousuke Anai, served as the chief director and handled the series composition at Shaft. Yukihiro Miyamoto (Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica) acted as the assistant director.

Other production staff include character designer Junichirou Taniguchi (Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai), chief animation director Nobuhiro Sugiyama (Nisekoi) and Hiroki Yamamura (Fate/Extra: Last Encore), and music composer Takumi Ozawa (Hidan no Aria).

Anisong trio TrySail, composed of voice actresses Momo Asakura, Sora Amamiya, and Shiina Natsukawa, performed the opening theme "Gomakashi." Female J-pop duo ClariS performed the ending theme "Alicia."

Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden serves as a spin-off to the 2011 anime series Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica. Aniplex launched the smartphone game for Android and iOS platforms in August 2017, featuring character designs by Ume Aoki (Hidamari Sketch).

Manga Time Kirara Forward began serializing a manga adaptation by Fujino Fuji in August 2018. Houbunsha published the third volume on February 4.

Announcement

Note: The video is region-locked; click here for an alternative link.

Source: Comic Natalie

Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) 2nd Season on MAL
VindstotMar 30, 2020 9:00 PM

Mar 28, 2020 8:52 AM
May 2015
Well, that ain't surprising. With the show's slow pacing, there was no way they could have wrapped up the story in just 13 episodes.

I really hope they pick up the pacing and get the story moving by the 2nd Season because this season felt underwhelming. It took them a long time to finally explain the truth behind Magical Girls (although if you watched the OG series then you should already know this fact) and what Wings of the Magius is truly about.

Mar 28, 2020 9:00 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
What the hell, Magia Record gets a second season but yet no sign of a sequel to Rebellion?
Did the original mobage give Shaft a shitton of money or something, cuz I thought the fanbase had mixed opinions on this spin-off... anyway this is a genuine surprise. Didn't see the anime yet nor finish the original mobage, so idk how to feel about this.
Mar 28, 2020 9:09 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
As expected.

The penultimate ep introduced some interesting plot points that wouldn't have been addressed in one ep. The overarching story also needs more time to wrap up as well.

Im glad that they decided to have a split cour instead of trying to rush everything though. Iroha and team certainly deserve it .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 28, 2020 9:14 AM

Nov 2016
Glad to have it confirmed, the plot has some promise and not getting more of it would've been a shame.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 28, 2020 9:36 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great news! Looking forward to today's finale episode even more now!

It's going to be some ride next season, I can tell.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 28, 2020 9:40 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Excellent news. Always a highlight when these people are involved.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Mar 28, 2020 9:51 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Well, I guess the leaks back then were kinda right. It just wasn't straight up 2-cour like they said at first.

Still weird that THIS is getting more anime but not the OG Madoka tho.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 28, 2020 9:56 AM
Jan 2018
The Power of mobile games I guess
Mar 28, 2020 10:04 AM

Oct 2010
they will bore us with another cour, great. So, where is that madoka movie 4?
Mar 28, 2020 10:27 AM
Jul 2018
Catalano said:
they will bore us with another cour, great. So, where is that madoka movie 4?
It takes time to write it, give them a break. They'll tell you when they're ready, probably on the 10th anniversary or at the end of S2 .
Mar 28, 2020 10:30 AM

May 2013
Unpopular opinion

Magia Record > Madoka Magica

So I am happy with getting a second season.
_Nette_Mar 28, 2020 12:21 PM

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Mar 28, 2020 10:45 AM

Feb 2013
Fario-P said:
What the hell, Magia Record gets a second season but yet no sign of a sequel to Rebellion?
Did the original mobage give Shaft a shitton of money or something, cuz I thought the fanbase had mixed opinions on this spin-off... anyway this is a genuine surprise. Didn't see the anime yet nor finish the original mobage, so idk how to feel about this.

Shaft has almost nothing to do with this getting a sequel much like they don't have with Madoka itself as they are the ones that invest less, with Aniplex and Houbunsha investing the most.

And the opinion of the west from the people who don't play the game doesn't really matter when the "second season" was already planned since the beginning and the anime is basically like Fate Go adaptation in a way.
Mar 28, 2020 10:54 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Wasn't this announced as a 2-cour originally and then changed to this format? Pretty sure this was planned to be 24-26 eps from the start
Mar 28, 2020 11:11 AM
Aug 2015
HaXXspetten said:
Wasn't this announced as a 2-cour originally and then changed to this format? Pretty sure this was planned to be 24-26 eps from the start

It was only a theory that it would be 2 cour originally, this is the first official confirmation
Mar 28, 2020 2:45 PM

May 2016
wow season 2 for this but not the original masterpiece madoka? insane..
Mar 28, 2020 8:38 PM

Dec 2008
I-for one-liked this series and more of it is most certainly welcome.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Mar 29, 2020 1:47 AM

Jan 2019
Everyone is saying "Why is Magia Record getting more content but not the original series?"

Magia Record can get more content because it was planned to have more content,
so it can be expanded up through the Walpurgisnacht.

I may not like Magia Record the same way I love (and religiously watch) Madoka Magica, but I still really like Magia Record, so I'm happy to get a season 2.
ItsForResearchMar 29, 2020 1:56 AM
Mar 29, 2020 3:00 AM
Jul 2018
This ain't surprising if I have to be honest ;; tho people kinda called it at the time so it should be gucci.
Mar 29, 2020 6:55 AM
Dec 2018
ItsForResearch said:
Everyone is saying "Why is Magia Record getting more content but not the original series?"

Magia Record can get more content because it was planned to have more content,
so it can be expanded up through the Walpurgisnacht.

I may not like Magia Record the same way I love (and religiously watch) Madoka Magica, but I still really like Magia Record, so I'm happy to get a season 2.

Maybe Magia Record will play some part in the sequel of the original.
Mar 29, 2020 8:21 PM

Mar 2020
Sure why not. I'll be watching Madoka 2.0 when it'll come out.
Mar 31, 2020 2:44 AM
May 2010
Another 7 or below score coming right up.

Unpopular opinion? Yeah, right. More like the general consensus from this thread seeming to hail this series above the original Madoka series. Get back to Devil Homura and stop dicking around with this bullshit.
Apr 1, 2020 12:13 PM

Jan 2019
Pshaw. Enough of this pleb tier magical girl franchise, just make a series with highscool Nanoha already!
Apr 1, 2020 5:51 PM
Apr 2017
I'm happt MagiReco's getting a second season, we'll get to meet Nagi-tan and the others, and hopefully we'll see Karin in Alina's backstory!
Apr 2, 2020 4:24 PM
Oct 2016
Thank goodness they're doing a second season because this season was basically a character introduction. Hopefully, this next season will have more plot/the plot will move forward a little bit faster.
bread is yummy
Apr 3, 2020 11:28 AM

Aug 2010
LOL, the spin-off is getting more episodes then the main series.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Apr 3, 2020 10:11 PM
Dec 2018
malvarez1 said:
LOL, the spin-off is getting more episodes then the main series.

It's simple because the story exists, unlike the main series.
Apr 12, 2020 4:11 AM

Dec 2018
Imo first half was fucking awesome! And i cant wait for more adventure with my magical lesbians! And i really hope for a lesbian kiss between Iroha and Yachiyo,,,,YEEEES!! The lovebirds are so damn cute together!

Yuri-CrusaderJun 27, 2020 2:43 AM
Jul 1, 2020 9:12 AM

Aug 2018

More topics from this board

» 'Black★★Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Feb 11, 2022

11 by nisafitri »»
3 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.