Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 26, 2020 1:28 PM
May 2016
The topic is simple and it's not a joke I seriously don't understand what people mean by bad animation. The only times I can think of bad animation are that one black clover episode, Arifureta, and the CGI stuff. So my question is what exactly is bad animation? The quality, the art style or something else?
blvckswordsMar 26, 2020 1:32 PM
Mar 26, 2020 1:33 PM

Jun 2016
When talking about "bad animation" people usually refer to stuff like way to many still frames, low frame rates, too much cg that doesn't blend well with the rest of the frame, characters that don't feel like they belong in the background, low detail drawings and awkward movement.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 26, 2020 1:36 PM

Dec 2015
I have seen a lot of people saying that older shows are bad, beacuse the animation is old and not colorful, no joke.

Well, in my case bad animation is only when Tiamat looks like she was made by clay or when the thingy they use in this show looks like it was made in paint "Kandagawa Jet Girl"

But that's me, I only get disappointed in shows that can do awesome animation but in the end they are using they easy way out from it. And that is cheap looking CGI.

If that have anything to do with how I score a show, no, not really.

But people do have some wierd mental walls infront of them, a show is bad beacuse it's old. Jesus, grow up kiddo.

Mar 26, 2020 1:49 PM
Dec 2016
I guess when I think of bad animation I think of like the more recent Berserk's CGI or Dragon Ball Super's infamous animation. The former is a style I don't like and then the latter is just poorly done animation. Two different kind of bads.
Mar 26, 2020 1:52 PM
May 2016
Theo1899 said:
When talking about "bad animation" people usually refer to stuff like way to many still frames, low frame rates, too much cg that doesn't blend well with the rest of the frame, characters that don't feel like they belong in the background, low detail drawings and awkward movement.

Thank you that's probably why I didn't understand lol. I don't understand frame rates and stuff. I only really watched Berserk movies with the CG to my knowledge.
Mar 26, 2020 1:53 PM

Jul 2019
To me, bad animation is when they use CGI instead of 2D animation. I'm sorry but CGI animated stuff is not watchable for me.
Mar 26, 2020 1:56 PM

Dec 2017
Bad animation happens when the animation teams do not have enough time to work on each episode.

I remember Naruto Shippuuden being a huge roller-coaster when it came to quality; watching some of the fights side-by-side really showed the huge difference in quality even within the same series.
Mar 26, 2020 1:56 PM
May 2016
guych said:
To me, bad animation is when they use CGI instead of 2D animation. I'm sorry but CGI animated stuff is not watchable for me.

Yeah I'm not a fan of it but the Gantz movie wasn't too bad for CGI
Mar 26, 2020 1:58 PM
May 2016
ZenZen7 said:
Bad animation happens when the animation teams do not have enough time to work on each episode.

I remember Naruto Shippuuden being a huge roller-coaster when it came to quality; watching some of the fights side-by-side really showed the huge difference in quality even within the same series.

Would you mind referring me to the fights I should watch for comparison. I think I might get a better grasp if I have something to base it off of.
Mar 26, 2020 2:03 PM
Jul 2018
I don't really know. I remember people shitting on animation in Dororo's ep.15, but personally - I thought it was nice. The same goes for Naruto x Pain battle scene - I liked it, but some people apparently hated it.
Mar 26, 2020 2:04 PM
May 2019
I'd say way to much CGI or unnecessary CGI is a big one, like why does goblin slayer need it sometimes just for him? Yet shows like land of the lustrous do it so well. Give Berserk 2016 a quick glance, its rough and why the original is all that people talk about. If you pay attention to some shows as a season progresses you can see a major dropoff in quality. Like you said theres some black clover episodes that if you dont look at the main characters of a scene you can see real poorly done work. That can be said about any number of shows.
Mar 26, 2020 2:10 PM
Jul 2018
This is an example of bad animation:

Mar 26, 2020 2:19 PM

Sep 2018
"Good" animation is any style of animation that benefits the story, it's characters, and the show as a whole.

For example, by typical standards, "Mairimashita! Iruma-kun" has pretty crap animation. However, because of the way that the show and character interactions are designed/written, it the lower quality animation actually adds to the comedy.

Blanks.
Mar 26, 2020 2:31 PM

Feb 2010
Bad animation - The Basics:
- missing frames
- low framerate, looking choppy instead of fluid
- lots of stills
- repetition or rewinding of frames
- sloppy frames, going off-model or lacking details when it's clearly not for stylistic or comedic purposes

Bad animation - Advanced Course:
- sucking at the Twelve Principles of Animation and just not looking good or smooth because of it
- unrealistic/unnatural looking movements that are not based on story or style reasons
- lack of ability to animate realistic physics, objects lacking impact or momentum or weight when they move on screen

Not Bad Animation:
- "I don't like the art style"
- "I don't like the color palette"
- "It's old"
- Stylistic choices that deviate from the norm and aren't for everyone but it's a matter of taste not animation quality

Great Animation:
- opposite of all the bad animation criteria
- Animating things in more detail (e.g. lip movements vs. mouth flaps)
- Animating subtle and nuanced aspects of body language or eye communication well
- being willing to experiment and know when it works to a scene's or shows favor
- animating more than one thing at once in any given frate (e.g. animating background characters or the backgrounds themselves)
- consistency, not just a few spikes in framerate with average animation in between
- using style and animation in perfect sync with the music, themes, emotions, pacing and timing of a scene to elevate it to more than just the sum of its parts
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 26, 2020 2:34 PM

Apr 2015
operationvalkyri said:
This is an example of bad animation:

That looks more like a high effort clipshow.
Mar 26, 2020 3:03 PM

Jul 2017
It's basically when the animation feels very choppy, not fluid and/or relying too much on still frames (hence the "powerpoint slides" complaint). Just look at Tokyo Ghoul for instance. If you compare the Kaneki v Amon fight from rootA versus pretty much any fight from :re you'd notice how bad the latter ones are to watch

but some people tend to combine animation with artstyle, when you can have good of one but poor of the other. Fate/Apocrypha for instance some of the fights towards the end had great animation but shit artstyle
Mar 26, 2020 3:47 PM
Oct 2018
For me its sequence and frame rates if thats done ill watch anything if there are same frame repeated which dragon ball does 90% of the time then goodbye
Mar 26, 2020 3:55 PM

Jul 2014
blvckswords said:
The topic is simple and it's not a joke I seriously don't understand what people mean by bad animation. The only times I can think of bad animation are that one black clover episode, Arifureta, and the CGI stuff. So my question is what exactly is bad animation? The quality, the art style or something else?

I think the simplest description of bad animation is the same as bad editing or bad storytelling. If you can't tell what the fuck is happening on the screen then the animation is bad.
Mar 26, 2020 4:04 PM

Jun 2017
hmm im in sort of the same confusion boat, i know Why people are calling it good/bad, but a lot of the time it feels like personal opinion towards art style, and not just about the actual quality, but maybe thats just my experience.

Also im not as bothered so maybe i just dont see it the same way is all, but ive definitely had series i felt didnt look good in animation. as some have mentioned above^ there seems to be a dislike of old animation /art styles with some people that doesnt necessarily mean its bad, but you also cant help how you feel about a style.
for instance, i dont like the art style in fate series/kara no kyoukai movies (dont know the character designers name) but i acknowledge its Good art, good budget, well made. i just dont like how it looks.

i tried to watch the first few episodes of https://myanimelist.net/anime/37451/Boogiepop_wa_Warawanai_2019?q=boogiep but everyone just looked Off/not well done? and i wasnt into the plot so i dropped it.

To me, most bad animation complaints ive seen that Are technical? are usually about shounen when a fight isnt on par with previous ones or compared to another loved series, and while i get thats a valid argument when lots of people turn to shounen specifically For the action, i think as a whole animation has steadily become better over the years as technology progresses, and so our standards raise with them, so when its not as great as the last season/episode people take notice. Personally i dont worry about it too much and focus more on how characters are written, but i do love beautiful /fluid animation and understand why people would be frustrated. But yeah the way i look at it? animation cant always be at 100% which i think most people know, and even in its low times would probably have been considered amazing 20+ years ago.

Also old anime, in its time, was probably considered really well done unless it was an already choppy show, and honestly i think old things have a great atmosphere and style that you dont get now because, every era has its own feeling and way of doing things, and i think theres good things in all of them if you look for it. i really think its crazy just how fast we progress with things like this.

sorry for the rant i hope i dont sound contradictory lol im still figuring it out myself, basically people either dont like the style or they notice a series is dipping when previous fluidity is suddenly lacking, or theyre comparing a show to other high budget shows.
CrystosisMar 26, 2020 4:13 PM
Mar 26, 2020 4:45 PM

Oct 2008
There is bad character design (Persona entire franchise, Senran Kagura)

Bad animation (Kingdom, Hataraku Maou-sama, Fate Kaleid liner Prisma Illya)

There is also bad background and bad fight choreography, don't have any examples at the moment however.
Mar 26, 2020 4:45 PM
May 2016
Pullman said:
Bad animation - The Basics:
- missing frames
- low framerate, looking choppy instead of fluid
- lots of stills
- repetition or rewinding of frames
- sloppy frames, going off-model or lacking details when it's clearly not for stylistic or comedic purposes

Bad animation - Advanced Course:
- sucking at the Twelve Principles of Animation and just not looking good or smooth because of it
- unrealistic/unnatural looking movements that are not based on story or style reasons
- lack of ability to animate realistic physics, objects lacking impact or momentum or weight when they move on screen

Not Bad Animation:
- "I don't like the art style"
- "I don't like the color palette"
- "It's old"
- Stylistic choices that deviate from the norm and aren't for everyone but it's a matter of taste not animation quality

Great Animation:
- opposite of all the bad animation criteria
- Animating things in more detail (e.g. lip movements vs. mouth flaps)
- Animating subtle and nuanced aspects of body language or eye communication well
- being willing to experiment and know when it works to a scene's or shows favor
- animating more than one thing at once in any given frate (e.g. animating background characters or the backgrounds themselves)
- consistency, not just a few spikes in framerate with average animation in between
- using style and animation in perfect sync with the music, themes, emotions, pacing and timing of a scene to elevate it to more than just the sum of its parts

Thanks for the breakdown in felt like it helped me understand more of what it's about. I think im understanding now.
Mar 26, 2020 4:47 PM

Jul 2013
guych said:

That moment when Demon Slayer uses tons and tons of CGI and wouldn't look nearly as good without it. Or unless you mean only the characters themself but then again demon slayer uses cgi on the characters quite often.
Mar 26, 2020 4:48 PM
May 2016
I really appreciate everybody helping me understand this. Apologize for the shitty post too it was my first real post here.
Mar 26, 2020 7:57 PM

Jul 2019
Calal-Chan said:
guych said:

That moment when Demon Slayer uses tons and tons of CGI and wouldn't look nearly as good without it. Or unless you mean only the characters themself but then again demon slayer uses cgi on the characters quite often.

Do they? I haven't noticed it at all. But the CGI I'm talking about is like the animation used in the performances in Zombieland Saga, the outro for Cautious Hero, the school festival performance with Uruka and Mafuyu, and etc.
Mar 26, 2020 8:02 PM

Jan 2009
here must watch video especially explaining that Naruto vs Pain fight is not bad animation at all

also low frame rate is not necessarily bad animation if each frame is drawn differently like with deformed drawings that studio Trigger main animators are doing since they are just a huge follower of Kanada School of Animation
Mar 26, 2020 8:34 PM

Jul 2013
guych said:
Calal-Chan said:

Do they? I haven't noticed it at all. But the CGI I'm talking about is like the animation used in the performances in Zombieland Saga, the outro for Cautious Hero, the school festival performance with Uruka and Mafuyu, and etc.

This is the problem with people hating on CGI. They don't even notice most of the CGI used in shows and especially when it is used really well. Sure that CGI in those looks bad but there is also plenty of bad 2d animation too. You see CGI all the time you just don't know because most shows use it much better. Bad CGI is usually because of time constraints the same as poor 2d animation or camera panning over a still frame is. Anime is done on a limited schedule so yeah sometimes bad animation is gonna happen.

But see AoT on your list also has tons and tons of CGI. Even some bad in it too. I just feel people hate on CGI and don't even really understand why when someone of AoT's amazing fight scenes or cool moments are because of CGI.

Examples of good CGI in demon slayer and AoT. Spoiler tag to make more neat XD
Mar 26, 2020 8:38 PM

Apr 2015
Not all CGI anime are "bad animation" though. Houseki no Kuni and Apreggio of Blue Steel's CGI is great.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Mar 26, 2020 8:41 PM

Jan 2018
Watching even just one episode of Garzey's Wing will give you a crash course in bad animation
What a beautiful Duwang
Mar 26, 2020 8:46 PM

Jul 2019
Calal-Chan said:
guych said:

This is the problem with people hating on CGI. They don't even notice most of the CGI used in shows and especially when it is used really well. Sure that CGI in those looks bad but there is also plenty of bad 2d animation too. You see CGI all the time you just don't know because most shows use it much better. Bad CGI is usually because of time constraints the same as poor 2d animation or camera panning over a still frame is. Anime is done on a limited schedule so yeah sometimes bad animation is gonna happen.

But see AoT on your list also has tons and tons of CGI. Even some bad in it too. I just feel people hate on CGI and don't even really understand why when someone of AoT's amazing fight scenes or cool moments are because of CGI.

What I meant was the use of CGI on characters. Like you can tell because they're moving too fluidly and they look like robots. Sorry if my thing didn't make sense but I hope you got the gist of it. I don't mind it if it's not noticeable but when it becomes super noticeable, then I won't like it.
Mar 26, 2020 9:13 PM

Jul 2013
guych said:
Calal-Chan said:

What I meant was the use of CGI on characters. Like you can tell because they're moving too fluidly and they look like robots. Sorry if my thing didn't make sense but I hope you got the gist of it. I don't mind it if it's not noticeable but when it becomes super noticeable, then I won't like it.

My point is bad stiff unnatural 2d animation is also a thing. There is a reason something like the last season of seven deadly sins was heavily criticized. And it was 2d lol. Yeah CGI on characters can look poor but not always. I think the problem is most people just are not used to it. It is just not normal so people prefer stiff unmoving humans. Which let's be honest is very robotic and stiff, but people are just used to it. Also, moving to fluidly? The main issue people have with 3d characters is the stiffness and frame rate.
Mar 26, 2020 9:42 PM

May 2019
zieek said:
There is bad character design (Persona entire franchise, Senran Kagura)

Bad animation (Kingdom, Hataraku Maou-sama, Fate Kaleid liner Prisma Illya)

There is also bad background and bad fight choreography, don't have any examples at the moment however.

Is there a video you can link with Maou-sama having bad animation?

Bad animation to me means everyone feels stilted. There's also the matter of eyes/proportions not being right, but that can argued to be in the art department too.
Mar 26, 2020 9:48 PM

Jul 2019
Calal-Chan said:
guych said:

My point is bad stiff unnatural 2d animation is also a thing. There is a reason something like the last season of seven deadly sins was heavily criticized. And it was 2d lol. Yeah CGI on characters can look poor but not always. I think the problem is most people just are not used to it. It is just not normal so people prefer stiff unmoving humans. Which let's be honest is very robotic and stiff, but people are just used to it. Also, moving to fluidly? The main issue people have with 3d characters is the stiffness and frame rate.

I don't know how frames work or what they are but the movement seems unnatural
Mar 26, 2020 10:19 PM

Dec 2019
when something looks obviously 3D CGI in a 2D animation :/
That's really bad
Ḻ͖͚̤̥͂ͪͩ̽ͅo͖̺̒̉r̰̝ͣͤ̌̉̃̀d ͈̹̠͎͙̗ͪ̄͆ͪ̈̃̀R̩͌͂͑ͦi͔̯̱̣̹̜̲x͕̮̞̮̪̒͆̈́u̜̦͔͈̮͕͈͐̇̔̒̐el̰̖̦͒͛

Discord qhCsvqT

Make English people read this: Ohio go say mass

More topics from this board

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - 3 hours ago

22 by _lordcanti »»
1 minute ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9068 by BlackSpectrum »»
2 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 9 hours ago

15 by SnipeStrike »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

55 by Rinenka »»
20 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

14 by Rinenka »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.