Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 23, 2020 5:30 PM

Oct 2019
Is it just me or is the animation similar to the old animation in some moments and in others it looks completely different?
AcbSnakeDemonJul 24, 2020 12:03 PM
Mar 23, 2020 5:36 PM
Mar 2020
I agree with you 120%. I don´t have a problem with the new art style either and agree with you that some of the characters look better. The issue I have with the new season is the same as you - quality decline. I just rewatched the whole last 7 episodes and I think that if somebody looks on the practice match against Date Tech and then looks on the very last episode he will find out that quality is kinda on the different level.
What you write about the overall aspects of the match such as spikes, receives,... is true they are in bad quality or completely cut out that´s for sure.
Just as you as I hope too that it will get a lot better at least in the second part of the series. I don´t want any of those important moments and exciting matches that are coming to be ruined.
PS: don´t worry about English it´s okay.

For LauraBirdie: Of course, I don´t say that everybody will agree with my opinions if you like animation as it´s now then I´m completely okay with it.

I´m just calling the last episode worse from the rest from my perspective. It just doesn´t look good as I was writing before, even a practice match against Date Tech looks a lot better than the second part of the match against Tsubakihara. Why? because the ball´s trajectory just doesn´t seem realistic, run-up approaches look frickin awful, spikes and receives are without impact + are almost always drawn from the same angle + I´m not even talking about how are some of them animated (cut, no ball touches of the floor when block-outs, etc...) and I don´t even want to start to write about those audience scenes those gives me creeps in my dreams. Of course, I´m not writing all of that because I hate Haikyuu, no no no I love it but this very last episode looks incredibly bad from the others, in my opinion. Naturally, I´m writing this just for the sake of the series because I love it and don´t want it to go wrong and be ruined like for example NNT.

Plus it´s kinda hilarious that you are calling the very first match of the nationals "simple" when it´s literally one of the matches that we were waiting for sooo long. If you don´t get this then you are obviously the one that doesn´t get the weight of what is now happening in the series.
Mar 24, 2020 4:58 PM
Apr 2017
MaeStroLag said:
I agree with you 120%. I don´t have a problem with the new art style either and agree with you that some of the characters look better. The issue I have with the new season is the same as you - quality decline. I just rewatched the whole last 7 episodes and I think that if somebody looks on the practice match against Date Tech and then looks on the very last episode he will find out that quality is kinda on the different level.
What you write about the overall aspects of the match such as spikes, receives,... is true they are in bad quality or completely cut out that´s for sure.
Just as you as I hope too that it will get a lot better at least in the second part of the series. I don´t want any of those important moments and exciting matches that are coming to be ruined.
PS: don´t worry about English it´s okay.

For LauraBirdie: Of course, I don´t say that everybody will agree with my opinions if you like animation as it´s now then I´m completely okay with it.

I´m just calling the last episode worse from the rest from my perspective. It just doesn´t look good as I was writing before, even a practice match against Date Tech looks a lot better than the second part of the match against Tsubakihara. Why? because the ball´s trajectory just doesn´t seem realistic, run-up approaches look frickin awful, spikes and receives are without impact + are almost always drawn from the same angle + I´m not even talking about how are some of them animated (cut, no ball touches of the floor when block-outs, etc...) and I don´t even want to start to write about those audience scenes those gives me creeps in my dreams. Of course, I´m not writing all of that because I hate Haikyuu, no no no I love it but this very last episode looks incredibly bad from the others, in my opinion. Naturally, I´m writing this just for the sake of the series because I love it and don´t want it to go wrong and be ruined like for example NNT.

Plus it´s kinda hilarious that you are calling the very first match of the nationals "simple" when it´s literally one of the matches that we were waiting for sooo long. If you don´t get this then you are obviously the one that doesn´t get the weight of what is now happening in the series.

"ball´s trajectory just doesn´t seem realistic"
my god, is so exaggerated that I want to laugh, fandom is a mistake
Mar 25, 2020 2:33 AM
Oct 2019
The new style of animation is not something i hate but the past 3 seasons the previous style was more dynamic and dramatic and was a lot more exciting and thrilling to watch. I hope they will bring back that style for at least the important matches.
Mar 25, 2020 4:57 PM
Feb 2020
XCF_Konzarn said:
I don't really have a problem with the new artstyle, in fact I think some of the characters actually look better in the new style.In one of the press conferences last year, they said that with the new style, the drawings would become much easier. So I was very excited to see the changes. But my main problem with this season is the drop in animation quality - especially scenes of ball-impact (spikes, receives, blocks etc) and off ball movements. Also the spin and float on the ball don't seem very realistic. Frankly I didn't think that the change of the Director and Chief Animation Director would change the animation so much. The dynamics of the characters also seem off a lot of the times. I was waiting for the Tsubakihara match to see how they would handle the matches but I have to say I wasn't very satisfied. Apart from a few scenes by Hideki Takahashi (which were quite impressive on their own btw), I couldn't find the quality of animation I was looking for, the quality which till now separated Haikyuu from the rest of the sports anime out there.

Considering what we have witnessed from the first three seasons, it really pains me to see this season not getting the handling it deserves. Don't get me wrong though, I don't for a moment think that the series is in the wrong hands; imo Production IG is probably the best studio there is to work on anime related to sports (well apart from Madhouse ig.. ) and if you say that this season is still better than most of the works that are coming out, I would 100% agree with you. But after seeing what Production IG is truly capable of, I just don't understand why they had to drop the quality of animation now, since HQ is probably their best work till date and no doubt very popular. Is it because they are working on a bigger project at the moment?Is it due to budgetary restrictions ( probably saving for the 2nd cour?) Or during the formation of Wit Studios, most of the good animators moved there?

Being a sports fanatic myself, I was always interested in sports anime and Haikyuu became my favourite anime in no time. To me it was one of the few shows which not only did justice to the manga but also improved upon it in its own way. I just loved how realistic it was and how it portrayed character movement and interactions with a high degree of accuracy. So it will break my heart if the animation doesn't improve in the next season considering the most important matches are coming up, especially the one against the Miya twins.

Also, sorry for my bad English...
I have just one thing to say and also I am %100 agreeing with your opinion but you said "They changed their art style because it is much more simple to draw" right? Then please revisit episode 9 and 10 AND PLEASE focus on Hinata and Daichi (how badly the whole two episode drawn) and come here and tell me "it is easier to draw". And also dont let the animators get you by putting one goodly drawn and animated scene to cover up the whole episode.
Mar 25, 2020 10:48 PM
Apr 2018
Carrot_Boii said:
I don't want to pour hate on the animators or pretty much anyone, but I reeeally don't like the new style. It looks a lot worse than before.
Even if it didn't look that bad I still wouldn't be the biggest fan of it since I'm already used to seeing the old design and changing it now, in fourth season, is probably not the best idea.
Some people say they enjoy it because it's more similar to the manga, but I'm gonna be honest - the only reason I'm not a manga reader is because I find the art style hideous XD
Anyway, Haikyuu is one of my all-time favorites and I'll still love the series no matter what it looks like. I'll just have to bear with the new style a little, until I get used to it.
Same, though I liked the old one because it was like "rough" for me, now it's like all characters are meant to look cute. Hinata's hair looked messy but now it seems that he's about to go full saiyan or something... Asahi has Lego hair during this season... Anyway, as you said, I also love Haikyuu and its characters so I guess I just have to get used to it.
Mar 27, 2020 12:45 AM
May 2016
I didn’t think there was a drop as such though? I’m fact I like character designs more now.
Mar 27, 2020 12:50 PM
Oct 2013
Today's episode was nice tho.
I feel they're adjusting the budget for the upcoming battles.
I'm not losing faith.
Mar 28, 2020 12:27 AM
Jan 2017
I hope they start adding a bit more detail in the receiving and setting, like they did in the previous season.. Otherwise it is getting very difficult to follow the movement of the ball. Sometimes I have to rewind a scene 2-3 times to understand how the ball reached the goddammn place! Also, they need to stop cutting so many frames in a particular scene. In this season, as far I can remember, every one of Kageyama's sets have been - him jumping, a close up of his hands, and then the ball going somewhere. It would be nice if they did the full animation - from him catching the ball to the ball leaving his hands. Same goes for receiving and spiking. The follow ups and follow throughs are pretty well animated. I just wish that they also animate the moments the ball is coming in contact with the hand with a little more detail. Setter dumps also don't look as impactful as they did previously. The camera angles feel weird too. And is it just me or the fingers of the blockers during a block look kinda funny?
It was minor details like these which made the previous seasons so memorable.

HELL!! I don't even want a repeat of S3!If the animation of S4 2nd cour is comparable to that of S2, I would be more than satisfied.
Mar 28, 2020 7:02 AM

Mar 2014
MaeStroLag said:

Alright, "simple match" is not really the proper way to call it, I'll admit. But anime production is ALWAYS about making the decision where to put your money and your time. This match was simply not the "budget" event of the season, hence there were not many "money shots", like the guy with the underhand serve.

Again, people should really stop comparing this to S3, that was crazy in terms of production values.

Yesterday's episode was good though. Complaining about yesterday's episode feels way too harsh.
Mar 30, 2020 3:02 AM
Aug 2019
I really think people need to do at least some research before saying things like lower budget and the staff is lazy

3 important members of Haikyuu production staff did not return from the past seasons

-the director(Susumu Mitsunaka),storyboarded season 2 op 2, personally key animated the climax in season 3

-the chief animation director(Takahiro Chiba)https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=takahiro_chiba

-main action director( Yasuyuki Kai)https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=yasuyuki_kai+haikyuu%21%21_series+

These are very important people for the series, especially Chiba and Mitsunka, since they were very responsible haikyuu's character looks and realism/weight. Having such high level individuals leave a show is not something any show would want and with the high bar they set with 3 seasons, it was inevitable that people weren't going to like it. But at least people should know the reaon and stop sprouting things that aren't true.

Edit: Also important, one of their main key animators, Shinji Suetomi (https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=shinji_suetomi+haikyuu%21%21_series) stepped down from haikyuu, but his was due to health reasons so him coming back for season 4 isn't really known
AbrahamOmosunMar 30, 2020 3:10 AM
Mar 30, 2020 1:00 PM
Mar 2018
AbrahamOmosun said:
I really think people need to do at least some research before saying things like lower budget and the staff is lazy

3 important members of Haikyuu production staff did not return from the past seasons

-the director(Susumu Mitsunaka),storyboarded season 2 op 2, personally key animated the climax in season 3

-the chief animation director(Takahiro Chiba)https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=takahiro_chiba

-main action director( Yasuyuki Kai)https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=yasuyuki_kai+haikyuu%21%21_series+

These are very important people for the series, especially Chiba and Mitsunka, since they were very responsible haikyuu's character looks and realism/weight. Having such high level individuals leave a show is not something any show would want and with the high bar they set with 3 seasons, it was inevitable that people weren't going to like it. But at least people should know the reaon and stop sprouting things that aren't true.

Edit: Also important, one of their main key animators, Shinji Suetomi (https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=shinji_suetomi+haikyuu%21%21_series) stepped down from haikyuu, but his was due to health reasons so him coming back for season 4 isn't really known

Exactly. Some people here make it sound like they lowered the quality on purpose to piss of the fans. It's so ridiculous. People really need to get off their high horses and appreciate the quality we are getting despite some key staff members not being available. Especially the latest episode was a great example of how good this season still looks.

What pisses me of even more are people who act like this season has been a let down in terms of content because there was so much training. Seriously? The whole first half of season 2 was training. I see no one complain about that. There can be no pay off without build up and this was a fantastic training arc that contained many emotional moments. Every thing you saw here will become very important later on and lead to some of the best moments in the entire series. So sit back and be patient.
Apr 3, 2020 3:41 AM

Jul 2012
op u mispelled slack. it's actually SLAPS because this season's animation is still good lol
Apr 8, 2020 1:35 AM

Nov 2018
a sweet reminder, they did just fine and perhaps saving the best quality for the upcoming season, and this one of the proof:
Apr 18, 2020 8:35 AM

Jan 2016
ireallywantcake said:
SaiDrew said:
I bet this season won't have THAT many important moments so I don't mind if the animation isn't as clean. The only thing that I don't like is the new designs; not sure if the studio messed up the manga design or if it's just that weird-looking, it looks downgraded imo.

Nah, it looks exactly like the manga actually. Most manga readers love it, i think you anime onlys are just not used to the manga artstyle LOL.

Here are some examples:
Akaashi - https://twitter.com/dorkuto/status/1196370290223267846
Hinata's "I want to beat you" to Hyakuzawa - https://twitter.com/mariaflora1208/status/1224694153012842496
Hinata's nosebleed - https://twitter.com/lovingkenhina/status/1220817137083785216
Anime onlies being subjected to a shift in art style that is a lot less visually appealing upsets them? Who would've thought lmfao.
Apr 24, 2020 1:43 PM

Apr 2008
A lot of people defend the new art style because it matches the Manga now but could you imagine if shingeki no kyojin suddenly decided to match its Manga art style?

I read the Manga and love it but the new art style is ugly; it's that simple. It's ridiculously unappealing, I'll keep watching because I love the anime and I'll buy all the Manga when it comes out but just like shingeki no kyojin I don't have to like the Manga art style to enjoy the story.

I just think it was a bad choice for the anime and considering the amount of complaints inside and outside this thread I don't think it's a wrong one even if we all do have differing opinions.
Apr 25, 2020 11:03 AM
Jul 2018
I do not think there is a completely fair opinion about art. In fact I don't even understand why people spend their time arguing unnecessarily "I am right, you are wrong" etc.

I read all of the 391 chapters in the manga. Furudate's art has evolved, it is undeniable but I find that the action stands out particularly well with its new style.
In fact his new style is constant, dynamic. The old one was irregular... look at the first volumes but the drawing was too imprecise.
Jul 3, 2020 1:43 AM

Sep 2009
For the first 5 or 6 episodes, I really hated the new art style and the animation. When I try to compare it to last season, it's really different. I don't know how to express it in words but it lacks 'depth'. Like when they show Shoyo's eyes it's really cool but now it's different. But I got used to it for the last 3 episodes. I just accepted it. :/
Aug 31, 2020 11:44 AM

Oct 2008
The animation may have dropped, but I feel the character design has improved.
Sep 23, 2020 5:51 PM

Jun 2016
haven't seen it but the poster looks weird.
Oct 9, 2020 1:56 PM
Oct 2020
realnigga123 said:
I just watched the first 5 seconds of the first episode and I already thought something was off with the animation, so I came here and I guess I was right lol

Yeah so right. It is a shame! The first 13 and the 14 episode were so good and now... Its Seven deadly sins 2.0. The Animation horrible now. The Characters look awful. It was a really pain to watch that episode! I'm really pissed because Haikyuu is so good and that...
Oct 10, 2020 2:40 AM
Jul 2019
WTF is happening to haikyuu part 2 I hope they will change the studio or the team of the anime ep2 was the worst shit animation ever pls production IG do something better god damn it even the mangaka can draw the episode better by himself fuck the made us waiting for 8 fucking months and that what we get fuck this team who work on this part
Nov 6, 2020 7:26 PM
Jan 2018
Akbe_ said:
I am seeing that Toho Animation saving the budget a lot by cutting scenes like the impacts when the strike happens. Most of the "one touch" and serves are getting cut through out of the episodes. Was this Season worth to wait 4 whole years?

Totally agreed. I have waited years instead of reading the manga, just so I see the wonders they would prefer with the animation ,but this is the shit they give us.It looks like they are making the anime just for the sake of it.Better it is that they cancel this season and we wait for another year so that another studio can adapt it again.
Nov 7, 2020 6:58 AM
Nov 2020
CRONOS21426 said:
Akbe_ said:
I am seeing that Toho Animation saving the budget a lot by cutting scenes like the impacts when the strike happens. Most of the "one touch" and serves are getting cut through out of the episodes. Was this Season worth to wait 4 whole years?

Totally agreed. I have waited years instead of reading the manga, just so I see the wonders they would prefer with the animation ,but this is the shit they give us.It looks like they are making the anime just for the sake of it.Better it is that they cancel this season and we wait for another year so that another studio can adapt it again.

Yes I agree. I’d rather have nothing or wait another year than this crap. Some of the worst stiff and ugly animation I’ve seen ever. Also the humor is not it. Feels like an entirely different show, and a bad one at that. If this continues they’re going to make me pretend the anime ended after season 3
Jan 2, 2021 8:07 AM
Aug 2020
This season was a bit of a let down.

Voice acting and sound design were prenominal. The art change I could live with but it feels like its being made to excuse the drop in animation. Which it shouldn't.

Season 1 - 3 was constant movement, you would see little details of the boys doing crap in the background. Those were a lot smoother. The boys dancing to meat was more fluid than most of season 4. Hell, their facial reactions had more life than the stills we got when they scored.

Season 4 had its moments but it felt like it took out too much of the little slice-of-life details fans have come to enjoy and love from the series. The VA's have done a wonderful job giving life to the characters but if the art doesn't match up, it falls a flat. Tsukki's sarcasm wasn't hitting normal levels of salty, Noya's callousness was shaved down a bit, Kageyama's glares less intense. The art style shouldn't make the animation dip, nor should it take the viewer out of the experience.

There's too many scenes where facial proportions alone are out of whack (like nearing Nanatsu no Taizai levels) and a lot of those are stills. I know that most of these changes came from a change in the staff. Change isn't a bad thing but if a normal viewer can notice these little things, there's a problem.

Saying its because of the art change is not an excuse for lackluster direction, art and animation. Its a bit disappointing when you know Kobayashi, Yuu is the Chief Animation Director, who brought us many incredible scenes from the series before as a key animator, and instead we got this.

Yahiro, Yuuko and Chiba Takahiro were chief animation directors for season 2 and the Shiratorizawa match, let it stew for a bit how vastly different their animation directing styles went and how much went they brought to the table.

As the director, I thought Satou, Masako would do fine in filling in for Mitsunaka, Susumu with their previous work with Haikyuu but I now realize I may be giving them more credit than I thought. Satou worked on 2 eps in season 2 as a director and 1 for ep during the shiratorizawa match.

There's definitely a conflict of vision here. Don't know from who or where it came from but it feels like the new directors are trying to carve their own mark into Haikyuu and instead they left it a mess 2nd half onwards. 1st part was salvageable but part 2? Ehhhh... so-so. There were some distracting eps but then there are ones that are actually GOOD. Everything is on point, the animation is working with the art, story boarding and direction have been planned out for the hype and feels, basically what should have happened throughout the entire season.

In conclusion, subpar compared to previous seasons but not terrible. The previous directors definitely left a high bar but I hope the newly restructured team can get it together and do better for the next season because its there.
MewsPewsJan 2, 2021 8:35 AM
Jan 6, 2021 5:02 AM

Dec 2014
Tsarko said:
Animation is good as ever. Plus it didn't have much opportunities to shine since we haven't had a game yet. Just character designs changed because Chief Animation Director had changed.

Geez you sure are delusional, huh.
Animation's so terrible it literally made me go read the manga instead.
Jan 6, 2021 11:31 AM
Jul 2020
I wasn't sure if I just imagined it, but it seems like the animation really did change. I must say I liked the first three seasons way more than the fourth one and the animation was something that differentiated Haikyuu! from other animes, but now sadly this factor is gone and also the design of the characters is different from before. It's not a super big deal but it's just something that feels "off". I miss the animation style when they used to put those black lines in the shadows or whatever you might call it, I thought it always looked super cool :]
Jan 11, 2021 6:08 AM
Aug 2020
the animation itself was actually very good from what i can see, it looked more vivid than in past seasons. But the art style change kind of messed it up a bit. Oh well
Feb 6, 2021 9:04 PM
Feb 2021
i thinks its still good tbh
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2020

176 by Jekkii1 »»
Apr 4, 9:04 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2020

69 by Jekkii1 »»
Mar 23, 4:13 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2020

94 by adbeaver »»
Feb 25, 8:59 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2020

107 by vit_ »»
Feb 18, 3:51 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2020

84 by Remotepaper »»
Jan 20, 8:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.