Forum Settings
Forums

'Beastars' Second Season Reveals More Cast

New
Mar 20, 2020 11:19 AM

Jan 2017
The official website for the Beastars anime series revealed two new cast members for the show's second season on Friday. The anime is set to premiere in 2021 on Fuji TV's +Ultra programming block.

Ibuki: Taiten Kusunoki (Kimetsu no Yaiba)

Free: Subaru Kimura (Carole & Tuesday)

Shinichi Matsumi (Houseki no Kuni episode director) made his directorial debut with the first season at animation studio Orange. Nanami Higuchi (Little Witch Academia (TV)) was in charge of the script composition, alongside Nao Ootsu (Youjo Senki weapon design) as the character designer, and Eiji Inomoto (Shuumatsu no Izetta) serving as the chief CG director. Satoru Kousaki (Fate/Extra: Last Encore) composed the music.

After the show's exclusive release in Japan in October last year, Netflix released it internationally on March 13.

Beastars adapts Paru Itagaki's psychological drama manga, which has been serialized in Shounen Champion since September 2016. Akita Shoten published the 17th volume on January 8, with the 18th volume planned for release on April 8. VIZ Media published the fifth volume in English on Tuesday.

Source: Comic Natalie
VindstotMar 20, 2020 11:44 AM
Mar 20, 2020 11:28 AM
Jul 2018
Damn, it's not Melon! Well, I guess we won't see him until season 3...
Mar 20, 2020 12:48 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Looking forward to this ~

2021 is a long way to go but if the quality will be just as good as that of the 1st season, if not better, I'll totally take it!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 20, 2020 12:53 PM

Sep 2017
ysphyr said:

It was expected honestly

Melon only appears waaaay later in the manga, it was sure he wouldn't be in season 2 if it's only 12 episodes like S1
Mar 20, 2020 12:58 PM
Jul 2018
Damuzen said:
ysphyr said:

It was expected honestly

Melon only appears waaaay later in the manga, it was sure he wouldn't be in season 2 if it's only 12 episodes like S1

Yeah, I know... I even doubt he will be in the S3 if they'll make one [but I'm not sure I remember everything in chronological order]
Mar 20, 2020 3:26 PM

Mar 2019
Oh I see how it is. Beastars gets a second season yet land of the lustrous doesn't, which has a better score and more overall members.
Mar 20, 2020 3:47 PM

Mar 2017
ActiveWave said:
Oh I see how it is. Beastars gets a second season yet land of the lustrous doesn't, which has a better score and more overall members.

How ridiculous can you be? You talk as if you expect the studio to even be aware of MAL. Even if they were, they wouldn't care.

'nom'
Mar 20, 2020 4:11 PM

Mar 2019
gleamblossom said:
ActiveWave said:

How ridiculous can you be? You talk as if you expect the studio to even be aware of MAL. Even if they were, they wouldn't care.

Are you telling me that studio's don't care about how many people have watched their shows? It makes sense to produce a Season 2 to a show which has more entries and/or has better ratings. That's what traditional TV has done for decades, so I can't see why anime studios should be any different.

Expect the studio to be aware of MAL? I'd hope so.
Mar 20, 2020 4:14 PM

Jun 2015
ActiveWave said:
gleamblossom said:

Are you telling me that studio's don't care about how many people have watched their shows? It makes sense to produce a Season 2 to a show which has more entries and/or has better ratings. That's what traditional TV has done for decades, so I can't see why anime studios should be any different.

Orange probably is just waiting for the manga to be completed and then they do a full adaptation. I remember that back when the show aired there's not too much left to be adapted that they could finish 1-cour without the biggest cliffhanger (or saddest cliffhanger) possible.
Mar 20, 2020 4:16 PM
Apr 2016
ActiveWave said:
gleamblossom said:

You can't know how did this fare in Japan. You might do some research on it and then share it with us here, but literally nobody gives a crap about "MAL score and overall members".
And studios mainly care about how many blu-rays/DVDs/merchandise they managed to sold, not about how many pirates watched their anime, noted it on some random website and how did those people rate it...
Mar 20, 2020 4:17 PM

Mar 2019
Yeah, that had crossed my mind. They could easily "announce" a season 2, as I'd imagine it would take a few years to actually produce it. Unless the show was just meant to boost the manga sales ultimately.
Mar 20, 2020 4:25 PM

Mar 2019
You can't know how did this fare in Japan. You might do some research on it and then share it with us here, but literally nobody gives a crap about "MAL score and overall members".
And studios mainly care about how many blu-rays/DVDs/merchandise they managed to sold, not about how many pirates watched their anime, noted it on some random website and how did those people rate it...[/quote]

That's very true, I've heard merch is the biggest profit vector for studios, but I'd counter-argue that anime is no longer a "Japan" thing, and international scores/reception should be given weight. More so, if you want to build a larger global audience. Why do you think people pirate so much anime? I believe it's because "official" quality releases such as on Blu-Ray cost an arm and a leg. Thank goodness for services such as Crunchyroll, else more people would either pirate or just not watch it, period. I would expect they'd sell a decent amount of discs if they actually shipped reasonably priced sub/dub copies.
ActiveWaveMar 20, 2020 4:29 PM
Mar 20, 2020 5:01 PM

Feb 2011
Ottes said:
ActiveWave said:

Orange probably is just waiting for the manga to be completed and then they do a full adaptation. I remember that back when the show aired there's not too much left to be adapted that they could finish 1-cour without the biggest cliffhanger (or saddest cliffhanger) possible.

Bro we don't even know if the studio is in the production committee, most studios don't have the luxury of picking what shows they're working on let alone decide what shows get sequels or not.
Mar 20, 2020 9:32 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
ActiveWave said:
gleamblossom said:

Expect the studio to be aware of MAL? I'd hope so.

Not all studios have the luxury to choose what to work next.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 21, 2020 12:09 AM
Sep 2017
Are they siblings or not ?
Mar 21, 2020 2:53 AM
Jul 2018
ronald_bastian said:
Are they siblings or not ?

Who? The lions? No, they are the members of the same gang, The Shishigumi
Mar 21, 2020 8:13 AM
Mar 2020
To the user comparing Land of the Lustrous' MAL numbers to Beastars':
It has more members because it has been on the site for 1 year longer than this show. If we're talking about numbers, then this show's opening on YouTube has 7.5 million views while the LotL's one only got 3.1 millions.

Anime studios care more about the Japanese sales and TV ratings rather than random scores given on a Western site by people who watched it on a pirate site.
The Beastars' manga has been very popular on Japan and is produced on a weekly basis on top of winning many awards, so its not exactly some 'random' franchise over there.

If they decided to make a 2nd season of this show rather than LotL, its simply because it performed better on Japan and they thought they'd make more profits from it + has Netflix's WW support, and/or maybe because LotL's production was more expensive to make or because the manga isn't finished enough yet.
You'd be surprised how many shows that get a lot of praise and good scores on this Western site, aren't as popular on Japan due to cultural differences, and viceversa. That's why you see many 'random' animes here who barely have any MAL members supporting them, getting a 2nd, 3rd and even 4th season. So don't take MAL's numbers as the voice of reason that dictates which shows are being a success on Japan, because they aren't.

More topics from this board

» 'Isekai Shikkaku' Reveals Supporting Cast Pair

Hyperion_PS - 9 hours ago

1 by seweholmes »»
58 minutes ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

21 by Old_School_Akira »»
3 hours ago

» Musician wowaka Dies

Sakana-san - Apr 9, 2019

34 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
3 hours ago

» 'T.P BON' Reveals Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Medalist' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - May 17, 2023

55 by Adizcool »»
Today, 5:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.