Forum Settings
Forums

Should It be illegal to deliberately spoil someone?

New
Mar 19, 2020 1:44 AM

Aug 2019
So if a person is very passionate about an anime and his coworker who hates him decides to mess with him by shouting every single major spoiler of that series, is there anything the law enforcement or HR department can do to protect the victim? I mean this is some serious psychological warfare, isn't it? What would you do if someone does that to you?
Mar 19, 2020 1:54 AM

Jul 2017
Spoil them back tenfold on something they love. That's the only way. Even if you don't watch the series, just look for major spoilers. I did that with GOT. Me and that same guy don't go near spoiler territory now lol

Mar 19, 2020 1:56 AM

Aug 2019
Attackonfiller said:
Spoil them back tenfold on something they love. That's the only way. Even if you don't watch the series, just look for major spoilers. I did that GOT. Me and that same guy don't go near spoiler territory now lol

Let's say the guy isn't that into any tv show, Now what?
Mar 19, 2020 2:02 AM
Jul 2018
Ok, I don’t mind. But! It should also be illegal to be a greedy bastard and refuse to share plot details when someone asks you.
“Uhhh, I won’t tell you, you have to watch it yourself” - off to the jail you go!
Mar 19, 2020 2:04 AM

Jul 2017
actuallyaadhi said:
Attackonfiller said:
Spoil them back tenfold on something they love. That's the only way. Even if you don't watch the series, just look for major spoilers. I did that GOT. Me and that same guy don't go near spoiler territory now lol

I don't know what I would have done tbh. I would have looked to other interests maybe. There would be something there hopefully lol

Mar 19, 2020 2:06 AM

Aug 2019
ysphyr said:
Ok, I don’t mind. But! It should also be illegal to be a greedy bastard and refuse to share plot details when someone asks you.
“Uhhh, I won’t tell you, you have to watch it yourself” - off to the jail you go!
I'd feel terribly guilty if I spoiled someone regardless if they ask me to do it or not.
Mar 19, 2020 2:11 AM

Aug 2019
Attackonfiller said:
actuallyaadhi said:

I don't know what I would have done tbh. I would have looked to other interests maybe. There would be something there hopefully lol

But the guy fucked with you so bad that you had to abandon you're primary interest and do something else. aren't you mad you cant do something about it?
Mar 19, 2020 2:14 AM

Jun 2016
I'm sure the police have bigger issues to deal with than some guy being an asshole.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 19, 2020 2:17 AM

Jul 2017
actuallyaadhi said:
Attackonfiller said:

But the guy fucked with you so bad that you had to abandon you're primary interest and do something else. aren't you mad you cant do something about it?

Well, I wouldn't want to try too hard if I can't find anything to get back at them on. Of course I'd still be seething though, so if an opportunity comes I would definitely take that.

Mar 19, 2020 2:22 AM

Apr 2015
Yes, it absolutely should be illegal and the punishment should be death by hanging. Preferably as a piece of paper containing the words associated with the spoiler is stuffed down his throat.
Mar 19, 2020 2:26 AM
Jul 2018
actuallyaadhi said:
ysphyr said:
I'd feel terribly guilty if I spoiled someone regardless if they ask me to do it or not.

Really? Why?

I mean, I hate not knowing everything about the show I’m watching so when I start the new anime there’s a 90% possibility I already know how it’ll end. And it never ruined my watching experience. But there are times I can’t find the info I need and the only way to find out something is to ask people to “spoil” it for me. If they refuse to do so - I suffer immensely.

So don’t feel guilty! You are making the world a better place when you spoil all the juicy details for people like me.
Mar 19, 2020 2:28 AM

Aug 2018
It's the persons own fault for raving about this anime to someone who doesn't give a toss. So no, it's not illegal. An eye for an eye for all the obnoxious anime fans.

You can be passionate about something and not be annoying as hell about it. That's the only way I could see this scenario occurring, so if it came to court, charges should be put on the obnoxious anime fan for initiating psychological warfare.
Mar 19, 2020 2:31 AM

Jul 2016
Tell me why illegal and spoiler are in the same sentence.I spoil myself all the time and I don't see me turning myself to court so why should i do it for other people?If they spoil me then fine,i´ll not be impacted by such a petty move and finish the anime regardless.
Mar 19, 2020 5:43 AM

Jan 2010
actuallyaadhi said:
So if a person is very passionate about an anime and his coworker who hates him decides to mess with him by shouting every single major spoiler of that series, is there anything the law enforcement or HR department can do to protect the victim? I mean this is some serious psychological warfare, isn't it? What would you do if someone does that to you?

Spoil back or get away from him as far as possible (like, quitting your job, lmao)

I'd definitely do that. I take spoilers very seriously.
Mar 19, 2020 9:21 AM

Jul 2017
That case would be more like harassment though, no?

but otherwise lol nah, because that can easily be misunderstood. Like something that happens in the very first ep could be a major spoiler to someone, but someone else might not care about it that much (as it's only the first ep). Plus I don't think getting spoiled is gonna end your life lul. I once accidentally spoiled Breaking Bad to one of my friend's brothers and he got super pissed, but he quickly forgot about it like shortly after
Mar 19, 2020 9:38 AM

Apr 2019
I don't mind being spoiled at all, where is my equivalent exchange for some group getting special privileges? That's like giving rabbit breeders a tax break and deny it to cat breeders. The internet wasn't made for children and spoiler sensitive wusses, and there is no reason to surrender it to them.

Mar 19, 2020 9:42 AM

Jun 2015
I hate being spoiled, but making it illegal sounds a bit silly. Just hit 'em with the spine blaster if they're doing it deliberately.

πŸ’– 𝐼'𝓂 π’½π’Άπ“Žπ’Ήπ‘’π“ƒβ£ πŸ’–

⋆ Λšο½‘β‹†ΰ­¨ΰ­§Λš πŸ’ π’―π“Œπ’Ύπ“‰π“‰π‘’π“‡ πŸ’ π’΄π‘œπ“Šπ’―π“Šπ’·π‘’ πŸ’ Λšΰ­¨ΰ­§β‹†ο½‘Λš ⋆
πŸ’ π‘€π“ŽπΉπ’Ύπ‘”π“Šπ“‡π‘’π’žπ‘œπ“π“π‘’π’Έπ“‰π’Ύπ‘œπ“ƒ πŸ’
Mar 19, 2020 9:24 PM

Sep 2018
As someone who is extremely sensitive towards spoilers, doesn't want to hear any details whatsoever beforehand, and generally never reveals anything about a show, I sincerely hope that this thread is a joke.
Mar 19, 2020 9:35 PM
Jan 2012
Can't do anything about it now unless you wanna slash their tires. Maybe next time don't actually let them know what anime you care about? They can only spoil a show for you if they know you like the show, they're bein a cunt but that doesn't mean you can't at least mitigate it, either stop letting them know what shows you like or stop letting others know what you like as they seem like they're fine letting em know.

Also yeah sure go to HR, maybe they'll count it as harassment? If you let the person know spoiling these things bothers you while witnesses are around and they do it again, HR could maybe be convinced it's harassment, or creating a hostile work environment. That's just a maybe though.
Mar 19, 2020 9:39 PM

Aug 2019
Ramy_Stereo said:
As someone who is extremely sensitive towards spoilers, doesn't want to hear any details whatsoever beforehand, and generally never reveals anything about a show, I sincerely hope that this thread is a joke.

Why do you hope that? this is a serious thread lmao. I believe I've described a real problem
Mar 19, 2020 9:51 PM
Jan 2018
Yes.
Anybody who spoils will now be sent to the electric chair.
Mar 19, 2020 9:55 PM

Nov 2018
If someone decides to spoil you, steal all their toilet paper and pasta and watch them go mental

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time πŸ™πŸ™
Mar 19, 2020 9:57 PM

Sep 2018
actuallyaadhi said:
Ramy_Stereo said:

Why do you hope that? this is a serious thread lmao. I believe I've described a real problem

Aside from the fact that you can't make the distribution of facts illegal, you'd have to define what constitutes a spoiler which is already purely subjective. To people like me pretty much everything is a spoiler, but then there's people who don't even recognize spoilers at all. Case in point, the Japanese. There are no "spoilers" in Japan, it's seen as a way to hype the audience. I have a friend who reads the conclusions to stories before watching. You can't make something illegal just based on your own personal feelings. Also the absolute minority of spoilers are hostile. Most of the time you'll overhear/read other people talking about a show you haven't watched yet. Should that be illegal too? And also, even for people like me, spoilers are just minor inconveniances. I don't like them but making them illegal is ridiculous and complete overkill. Spoiling makes you a dick, it's not nice to be a dick but it's not illegal. It doesn't even sound like something anyone would sincerely suggest which is why I thought this post was a troll.
Mar 19, 2020 9:59 PM

Dec 2019
I hate spoilers it ruins so much, expectations, hype etc.

If its irl person slap him if not fuck it idk verbal abuse him xD
                                                         πŸ–€   

Mar 19, 2020 10:21 PM

Aug 2019
Ramy_Stereo said:
actuallyaadhi said:

Aside from the fact that you can't make the distribution of facts illegal, you'd have to define what constitutes a spoiler which is already purely subjective. To people like me pretty much everything is a spoiler, but then there's people who don't even recognize spoilers at all. Case in point, the Japanese. There are no "spoilers" in Japan, it's seen as a way to hype the audience. I have a friend who reads the conclusions to stories before watching. You can't make something illegal just based on your own personal feelings. Also the absolute minority of spoilers are hostile. Most of the time you'll overhear/read other people talking about a show you haven't watched yet. Should that be illegal too? And also, even for people like me, spoilers are just minor inconveniances. I don't like them but making them illegal is ridiculous and complete overkill. Spoiling makes you a dick, it's not nice to be a dick but it's not illegal. It doesn't even sound like something anyone would sincerely suggest which is why I thought this post was a troll.
What if you are a serious spoiler sensitive person and some guy deliberately keeps spoiling you? Lets say you bought a Blu-ray for a show and that guy deliberately spoils you with malicious intent. He keeps doing that for every single blu=ray you buy. wouldn't that count as ruining the product, especially because you're a spoiler sensitive person? how is that any different from breaking a toy that you've bought?
Mar 19, 2020 10:46 PM

Sep 2018
actuallyaadhi said:
Ramy_Stereo said:

What if you are a serious spoiler sensitive person and some guy deliberately keeps spoiling you? Lets say you bought a Blu-ray for a show and that guy deliberately spoils you with malicious intent. He keeps doing that for every single blu=ray you buy. wouldn't that count as ruining the product, especially because you're a spoiler sensitive person? how is that any different from breaking a toy that you've bought?

First of all, if that were the case your primary concern should be to investigate how your coworker is able to monitor your blu ray purchases as that may be a case of breach of privacy which would warrant criminal charges.

Secondly, no he is not ruining the product. He is not even touching the product, what he's ruining is your perception of it. He's not breaking the toy, he is just making you not enjoy playing with it anymore. Since you bought the blu rays you own their physical copies which means there'd be a problem if anyone mingled with them without your permission. That's as far as the law goes. To begin with, it's not like the story and characters are your property just because you bought the blu rays. Any information that is public is public property. Anyone can be sensitive towards anything, you have the right to be pissed off and to a certain extent people have the right to piss you off as long as they uphold the law. That's not enough to build a case on.
Mar 25, 2020 10:16 PM

Oct 2012
Oh. I thought you were asking if it should be illegal to buy your girlfriend some flowers.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 25, 2020 10:18 PM

Jun 2017
Yes.

Dealt with by unconditional death sentence.
Mar 25, 2020 10:36 PM

Aug 2018
if there's really such a person going around, maybe there's a bigger problem like they are actually mentally unstable and need to see a doctor. sounds like they just need lots of attention too. no normal working adult is that free to keep on looking up and be constantly updated with someone's favourite shows to spoil them on purpose with the aim of annoying them. or you could also just not let them know what you're watching to prevent that altogether.
Mar 25, 2020 11:26 PM

Aug 2019
Ramy_Stereo said:
actuallyaadhi said:

First of all, if that were the case your primary concern should be to investigate how your coworker is able to monitor your blu ray purchases as that may be a case of breach of privacy which would warrant criminal charges.

Secondly, no he is not ruining the product. He is not even touching the product, what he's ruining is your perception of it. He's not breaking the toy, he is just making you not enjoy playing with it anymore. Since you bought the blu rays you own their physical copies which means there'd be a problem if anyone mingled with them without your permission. That's as far as the law goes. To begin with, it's not like the story and characters are your property just because you bought the blu rays. Any information that is public is public property. Anyone can be sensitive towards anything, you have the right to be pissed off and to a certain extent people have the right to piss you off as long as they uphold the law. That's not enough to build a case on.
Spoilers are absolutely show ruining for most people, lets just get this out of the way. lets say there is a murder mystery show where A is the killer. Knowing that A is the killer makes every episode that builds up on B and C being the killer useless because you already know that isn't true so the "tension" in response to the show isn't there.
I understand the issue is difficult to process through the legal framework, mainly because it conflicts with freedom of speech directly. But Regardless of legality, do you think it is immoral to do such a thing? lets say you are the boss of a company and one of the co- workers is continually harassing the other through spoilers, would you fire him for being an asshole?
Mar 26, 2020 12:03 PM

Apr 2010
Spoilers fucking suck but dude it's not that serious. At the end of the day it's just a Chinese cartoon.
Mar 26, 2020 12:11 PM

Aug 2018
SadisticSougo said:
Yes and I believe nothing less than the death penalty is a fitting punishment for such a heinous act.

Funnily enough, I remember reading about the dude who spoiled newest Star Wars movie to people waiting in line of cinema. He got beat up to near death
Mar 26, 2020 12:16 PM

Jun 2019
I can't believe I'm going to say these words but no, I don't think there should be a law to prevent you from spoiling the story of a piece of entertainment for someone else.

Mar 26, 2020 12:22 PM

Nov 2016
You need to ask? Absolutely! A person who deliberately spoils someone else should get their tongue cut off.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 26, 2020 12:28 PM

Aug 2019
NickRedMachine said:
I can't believe I'm going to say these words but no, I don't think there should be a law to prevent you from spoiling the story of a piece of entertainment for someone else.
If I keep spoiling everything for you, I bet at some point you're gonna wish there was a law like that.
Mar 26, 2020 12:33 PM

Jun 2019
actuallyaadhi said:
NickRedMachine said:
If I keep spoiling everything for you, I bet at some point you're gonna wish there was a law like that.

It's really frustrating, and I absolutely despise being spoiled, but come on man lol.

Just make sure the other person doesn't know what you're watching if it gets that bad

Mar 26, 2020 8:19 PM

Feb 2011
Nah, it's just your fault for watching it too late. Freedom of speech, man, freedom of speech

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - 8 hours ago

19 by SgtBateMan »»
3 seconds ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - 7 hours ago

29 by Taynix »»
5 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 2 hours ago

5 by Akuya »»
10 minutes ago

» Anilist is better ( 1 2 3 4 )

SleepySimoon - Oct 28, 2021

178 by Nurguburu »»
10 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

59 by inim »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.