Forum Settings
Forums

Which anime of yours rated 9/10 is the closest to getting a 10 and what's preventing it from getting one?

New
Mar 1, 2020 6:58 AM
πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Jan 2020
The question's in the title, but to reiterate/explain: Of all the shows that you have rated a 9 out of 10, which one is the highest 9 i.e. that you're the closest to giving a 10/10 and what's holding it back or what the reason that you didn't give it a perfect score?

To answer it myself, it's Shoujo Kakumei Utena. I've dithered between 9 and 10 for this show but I've currently settled on a 9. I absolutely loved Utena for the visuals, symbolism, characters, music and story - what little of it made sense to me! Although I get why it annoyed some people, it never bothered me that a lot of scenes were a mystery, open to interpretation - I liked it in fact. Not to mention the best part of the show IMO - the crazy but loveable Nanami (and her little egg).

The one thing that stops from me from giving it a 10 is that there's a section of each of the arcs that's really repetitive as they cycle through each of the council member's duels and moreover, these cycles happen three times across the 39 episodes. But otherwise, that show's perfection to me. Hmmm...maybe I should give it a ten....?

Anyway, what's your almost 10/10 - and why? :)
HendyMar 1, 2020 7:24 AM

πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ . ι˜Ώθ‰―γ€…ζœ¨ 暦, ε‚· 物 θͺž . πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 1, 2020 7:08 AM

Aug 2016
Houseki no Kuni is definitely my closest 10, and it's not from anything that the anime did wrong I just don't think it currently holds up to my other 10s there's too much of an enjoyment gap between my lowest 10 and Houseki no Kuni. Houseki no Kuni also did used to be a 10 for me until I watched other things I considered to be my 10s.
Mar 1, 2020 7:17 AM

Sep 2017
Generally it just depends of my enjoyment and how impactful the anime was to me
So, in terms of pure quality and according to my rating system, a 9 and a 10 are the same thing

However there are a few anime that I almost scored 10, but ended up at 9 :
-> One Piece (the first hundreds of episodes would be a 10, but my enjoyment decreased a bit after the timeskip)
-> some JoJo parts (love this series, but I'm not a huge fan either)
-> Dororo (the first cour is definitively a 10, but the second cour was rushed and had some bad parts)
-> Tenki no Ko (a bit weaker than Your Name, and too similar)
-> Cowboy Bebop (incredible series, but a bit irregular in terms of emotions)
Mar 1, 2020 7:23 AM

Aug 2018
Gintama.
I love the series to bits but the beginning was a chore to get through.Once the characters are introduced and the character dynamics and interactions are set,it becomes the best thing over.No matter whatever the context there are some jokes aimed only at Japanese audience which completely goes over my head.
Mar 1, 2020 7:24 AM

Aug 2018
Interesting topic.

First one that comes to mind is Juuni Kokuki (twelve kingdoms). It was thrill ride all the way through right up until it just abruptly ended leaving dozens of plot threads hanging. Anyone who is invested in the story will definitely find that incredibly frustrating.
Mar 1, 2020 7:28 AM

Oct 2017
My 9/10 that's closest to a 10/10 has gotta be Cowboy Bebop. I think I probably should give it a 10, but I kinda like only giving my favorite series a 10. Apart from this, I found Cowboy Bebop's cast kinda poor in the interaction department, and a couple of episodes were a struggle to get through (like the feng shui one).
Mar 1, 2020 7:30 AM
πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Jan 2020
epidemia78 said:
Interesting topic.

First one that comes to mind is Juuni Kokuki (twelve kingdoms). It was thrill ride all the way through right up until it just abruptly ended leaving dozens of plot threads hanging. Anyone who is invested in the story will definitely find that incredibly frustrating.

That's almost the exact same for me, I loved Twelve Kingdoms but the loose ends annoyed me enough to dock two points, so it got a very high 8. In fact, it's probably my closest 8 to a 9 ;)

- H E N D Y -
Mar 1, 2020 7:31 AM

Jan 2010
Here are all my 9s:

- Death Note: not enough attachment, my favorite character died
- Fairy Tail: too many ridiculous plot armor for Erza and too many cheap friendship power
- Darker Than Black: not enough attachment, lack of happy ending
- KHR: not enough attachment, plot is all over the place? (tbh I forgot why I rated it a 9)
- Made in Abyss: not enough attachment
- Haikyuu: my fav is not main characters... but I seriously considering rating this 10, let's see if the Karasuno vs Nekoma would be enough)
- FMA: not enough attachment
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: not enough attachment
- Steins; Gate: not enough attachment, my ship sunk and I dislike one of the main character. I'm thinking of lower it to 8
- KNB: not enough attachment and my favorite is only a side character
- Magi: not enough attachment, need more seasons
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica: not enough attachment
- Given: not enough attachment

Closest to 10 probably:
- Fairy Tail
- Haikyuu
CrimsonMidnightMar 1, 2020 7:36 AM
Mar 1, 2020 7:35 AM

Jun 2012
Well, in my viewpoint, 9 is already the perfect score an anime could have so the only reason I won't push this "X" anime to 10 is that I'm not biased enough to it.
Mar 1, 2020 7:38 AM

Aug 2018
horridhendy said:
epidemia78 said:
Interesting topic.

That's almost the exact same for me, I loved Twelve Kingdoms but the loose ends annoyed me enough to dock two points, so it got a very high 8. In fact, it's probably my closest 8 to a 9 ;)

I weep bitter tears whenever I think about the fact that such an excellent show never got the second season it deserves.

Another not quite 10/10 is Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. I loved this movie but 2 seasons of the dreadfully boring TV series is required watching for the movie to really make sense, I had to detract 2 points.
Mar 1, 2020 7:41 AM

Aug 2016
I would say Ghost in the Shell: SAC - The Laughing Man movie, but it's technically the movie focused on an arc version of the GiTS:SAC first season, so it's not quite fair if I was already hooked on the TV one. I like the buildup of the mysterious persona of the Laughing Man better in the TV series vs movie, but that's to be expected.

I'd say the next one is Black Lagoon S1. If Rock wasn't so annoying in the first several episodes, that would probably be enough for a 10.
Mar 1, 2020 7:45 AM

Apr 2019
Closest one to being another Masterpiece is Parasyte

Everything is done perfectly from Action to Romance to Character development, the only downside is it's too short - it ends when you are at the highest point of that coaster ride and it just stops there.

Mar 1, 2020 7:46 AM
Feb 2020
I’m pretty new to anime, but so far the only anime I have at a 9 is Black Clover. I love Black Clover because the Black Bulls give me that accepting family vibe similar to the Straw Hat Pirates of One Piece. With that in mind though, I know in my mind that Black Clover is nowhere near as great as One Piece, which I gave a 10/10. There are many other aspects I enjoy about Black Clover, such as all the interesting types of magic, the conflict between social classes, the development of the story and other Black Bull members, etc. With all this in mind though, it just wouldn’t feel right to make it a 10.
Mar 1, 2020 7:46 AM
Feb 2020
I’m pretty new to anime, but so far the only anime I have at a 9 is Black Clover. I love Black Clover because the Black Bulls give me that accepting family vibe similar to the Straw Hat Pirates of One Piece. With that in mind though, I know in my mind that Black Clover is nowhere near as great as One Piece, which I gave a 10/10. There are many other aspects I enjoy about Black Clover, such as all the interesting types of magic, the conflict between social classes, the development of the story and other Black Bull members, etc. With all this in mind though, it just wouldn’t feel right to make it a 10.
Mar 1, 2020 7:49 AM

Aug 2018
-Shinzo said:
Closest one to being another Masterpiece is Parasyte, everything is done perfectly from Action to Romance to Character development, the only downside is it's too short, it ended when the rollercoaster ride was at its peak.
I have to agree on this too.I don't know if the anime completely adapted the manga or not but the anime ending felt abrupt to me.I didn't understand the ending that the parasites adapted to live with humans.Didn't they came here to conquer in the first place?Why are they trying to live with humans now???Apart from that a solid 9 from me.
Mar 1, 2020 7:59 AM

Apr 2018
Coincidentally, i was about to mention Utena, because i feel the same way as the OP does about it (though i have it listed as one of my Favorites).
As much as i loved the experience of watching through it, it really is a show that demands a lot of patience and thought from the viewer, due to its repetitive and cyclical arc format and its extremely nebulous symbolic nature. Also, the Nanami-centric episodes were very hit-or-miss.

Even though i'd love to rewatch it eventually, now having full context of what's really going on, it's perhaps this same inaccessibility that keeps me from giving it a 10, and makes me reluctant to want to sit through all 39 episodes again any time soon.
Stygian_PrisonerMar 1, 2020 8:02 AM
Mar 1, 2020 8:08 AM
ε­”ηœŸγƒ»γ‚³γ‚¦γƒžγ‚³γƒˆ

Jun 2017
Closest to 10 from a 9 from my list include:

FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Sakurusou no Pet Na Kanojo
Chihayafuru 2
Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2
Hibike Euphonium 2
Yuru Camp β–³

Something to do with bias’s for sure.
_MushiRock11_Mar 3, 2020 11:48 PM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 1, 2020 8:08 AM
Jul 2018
Definitely HxH (2011), I'd give it a 9.5 but MAL ratings doesn't have .5 scores.

Reason it's not a 10 is because I had some minor problems with Gon's character throughout the show.
Mar 1, 2020 8:11 AM

Dec 2018
K-ON! Season 2

In one episode one of the girls said .because Mugi was sneaking of she might have a boyfriend!!NOOO!! Thats a bad lesbian!! Be ashamed of yourself!! And that dirty mouth of yours!! My lesbians angels are not allowed to talk about boys and definitely not boyfriends!!

Yui saved it from losing even more points!! Because of that and some other minor technically s I gave it 9 instead of 10!! The 10 are only for my pure girls!!! That never speaks about those horrendous things!!

Still a very good anime with lesbian females and so close to get 10! But my girls need to behave themselves and follow my rules!! They stepped out of line to many times and therefor the 9

Yuri-CrusaderMar 1, 2020 2:24 PM
Mar 1, 2020 8:15 AM

Jan 2020
Probably Nichijou: My Ordinary Life

If the anime have more interaction in between Yukko's gang (Yukko, Mio and Mai) and Shinonome's gang (Hakase, Sakamoto and Nano) this show it would be perfect (like K-On). But how this happened a few times, I rated 9/10
IgorPsc91Mar 1, 2020 1:17 PM

Mar 1, 2020 8:16 AM

Dec 2018
Redline. Animation and characters are amazing, the overall story holds it back just that tiny bit.
Mar 1, 2020 8:17 AM

Jun 2019
The following are all really close:

Tsuki Ga Kirei - A bit on the short side but I have little flaws with it otherwise.

Pet Girl of Sakurasou - Anime didn't finish the manga, so the story isn't fully complete.

Steins;Gate - The ending was a bit rushed in my opinion. This is also why I gave Steins;Gate 0 a 10. It's not better than its motherseries by itself, but it's the perfect addition to make it a complete masterpiece.

AnoHana - A few weird character and storytelling choices kept this from being a 10 for me.

Mar 1, 2020 8:17 AM

Nov 2019
The closest to a 10/10 is Madoka Magica, and I can't explain why I don't feel it deserves to be at my podium. Perhaps it's because the amount of plot twists in only 12 episodes is a bit exaggerated xD

Pleasant_pancakeMar 1, 2020 8:22 AM
Mar 1, 2020 8:20 AM

Jul 2014
Hunter x Hunter. The first half of the Greed Island arc was kinda mediocre. If it weren't for that it'd easily be a 10.
Take care of yourself

Mar 1, 2020 8:25 AM
Aug 2014
Ojamajo Doremi because it's my only 9 atm.
Mar 1, 2020 8:26 AM

May 2016
Berserk 1997 - That non-ending. That fucking non-ending.

Princess Mononoke - Ashitaka and San are a little undercooked in the characterization department. All the side characters are great, but our leads feel bland in comparison.

Golden Boy - Began to feel a bit formulaic in the middle.

NANA - That non-ending. That fucking non-ending.

Gunbuster - If the same story had been told over the course of 10 episodes rather than 6, we might've gotten more character development, and that would've sealed the 10/10 deal.

Battle Angel Alita - It ended.

FMA: Brotherhood - The first 13 episodes are nonsensically directed under the assumption we've seen the 2003 series already. This is perfectly true, but why would you direct it like that?! Assume EVERYONE'S a newcomer, dude!

Violet Evergarden - The first few episodes needed some more energy and just plain stuff in it.

Fruits Basket 2019 - The comedy needed the same punch and energy the 2001 series had.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Mar 1, 2020 8:34 AM
Jul 2018
How is everyone's so logical in their ratings? I still don't understand the thought process behind me rating anything. Damn, I feel so dumb now
Mar 1, 2020 8:37 AM
Jul 2018
Dororo. The lackluster ending. The rest of the show was a solid 10 (don't care much about the animation problems).
Mar 1, 2020 8:38 AM

Dec 2016
Nothing really, because I don't see a 10 as something I have no gripes at all with, but rather as something profoundly resonating with my inner self. I'm not preventing myself of giving a 10 to any of my 9s because of any kind of issues I may have with them, but instead just because they didn't resonate with me as much to earn that maximum score.
Mar 1, 2020 8:47 AM

Aug 2018
generally my 9s are those where I enjoyed a lot, but the plot/characters weren't captivating enough or as impactful emotionally.

looking through again I think I would have rated banana fish a 10 instead of a 9 if only
Mar 1, 2020 8:50 AM

Jun 2012
Bunsuke said:
Zaphkiel_El_Rem said:
Well, in my viewpoint, 9 is already the perfect score an anime could have so the only reason I won't push this "X" anime to 10 is that I'm not biased enough to it.

10s are just your favorite shows, dude
quit being pretentious
Well you're half correct. I actually intended my post with a hypocritical meaning.
Mar 1, 2020 8:53 AM

Dec 2019
In almost every case, it's the ending. Not even the last episode specifically but because I felt like there were things that didn't get resolved before the end so it felt incomplete and didn't feel completely right.
♥️
Mar 1, 2020 8:53 AM

Nov 2010
Houseki no Kuni- the ending was too open-ended and not strong enough. I don't rly like to be continued endings in anime if the new season isn't announced and it's more like "fuck u, go read the manga".

Versailles no Bara- it's long show and some parts of it are better than some others that were either bit confusing or kept dragging bit too long for my taste.

Pokemon- it's 9 for nostalgias sake xd

NANA- ends abruptly another fuck u go read the manga.

Code Geass S2- S1 was better.

Durarara- Baccano was better.

Mar 1, 2020 9:05 AM

Jan 2019
Welcome to the NHK or Princess Principal. NHK because it has that pyramid scheme arc which I disliked. PriPri because overall not much plot progression at the end of the season.
Hunter x Hunter is a 1/10
Mar 1, 2020 9:06 AM

Oct 2015
Honey and Clover, it was even a 10 before I saw March Comes in like a Lion. The character drama is still top notch but I feel that its hard hitting moments are a tad too dependent on drama stemming from romance.
Mar 1, 2020 9:08 AM

Jun 2011
Probably Death Note.

I guess I can give a show 10 rating only either it has massive sentimental value or its sheer quality is just hypnotizing in my eyes.

I watched Death Note when I was 12 probably. For me in that time, it was the best show ever produced. How can someone come up with something so brilliant? It was a no brainer 10 for a long time.

Then I watched it again. I saw that it kinda loses its mojo after that certain incident as you know. It loses its pacing and consistency.

Still, I think it's an amazing show. 9/10 for sure.
EpicSaxGuyMar 1, 2020 2:57 PM
Mar 1, 2020 9:12 AM

Jul 2016
Initial D First Stage: Pretty much everything was perfect, except for the existence of Itsuki. Every scene he was in brought that scene down from the perfection it should've been.

Adolescence of Utena: Again, pretty much everything was perfect, but I'm not that big a fan of Anthy as a character. It's worse in the TV series, but still not great in the movie.

Spice and Wolf: I just wish it focused less on trying to be smart and put more focus on the character drama. I have the same problem with Ghost in the Shell too.

Summer Wars: Didn't really like the look of the digital world.
Mar 1, 2020 9:14 AM

Nov 2019
Koe no Katachi: It gets waaay over dramatic in certain points.

Violet Evergarden: her war intervention is a black spot in an otherwise magnificent story. Also, the way she lost her arms was typically anime stupid.
Mar 1, 2020 9:15 AM

Aug 2019
JoJo part 1 sucked but part 2 was really great with Joseph joestar and all. But because of part 1 I had to force myself to give it a 9.
Mar 1, 2020 9:17 AM

Aug 2019
winfoharso said:
Welcome to the NHK or Princess Principal. NHK because it has that pyramid scheme arc which I disliked. PriPri because overall not much plot progression at the end of the season.
nhk's yramid scheme arc was hilarious, for me the off meeting arc was kinda illogical but overall it was an amazing anime
Mar 1, 2020 9:24 AM
πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Jan 2020
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:

Adolescence of Utena: Again, pretty much everything was perfect, but I'm not that big a fan of Anthy as a character. It's worse in the TV series, but still not great in the movie.

I haven't actually seen the movie yet - it's on my plan to watch but the reviews pretty much said it wasn't as good as the TV show. From some of the images/clips I've seen, the animation looks stunning. I have seen THAT transformation, vroom vroom. What did you give the series then? Did you prefer the film overall?

Also, I agree with you about Anthy, she's a little annoying - probably my least favourite character. I feel bad about it but I found it kinda hilarious every time she got completely bitch slapped. Probably wouldn't have laughed if I liked her more.

- H E N D Y -
Mar 1, 2020 9:33 AM

Aug 2017
Attack on Titan Season 3 (1st cour). It would be a 10 if WIT didn't needlessly omit so many scenes from the manga in that arc.
Some of you never watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers on TeleToon in 2008 and it shows.
REST IN PEACE KENTAROU MIURA
Mar 1, 2020 9:35 AM

Mar 2018
There are four that are SO SO close to a 10. Hunter x Hunter (2011) would for sure be a 10 if the story was finished. Astra Lost in Space, I legitimately can't justify giving it a 10/10 even though I absolutely adore it. Aries is too weak of a character, really. everything else is just what I needed. Death Parade ALMOST became a 10 (and was for a hot second), but I couldn't say that it was better than Kuroko or HxH, I think if I watched it closer to when it came out, when I was more suicidal, it would have been a 10/10 and helped me a lot because that ending is what I needed to hear at the time.

Kuroko is something that I legitimately don't know why it isn't a 10/10. There was just....something missing from it? Something felt a little off. All my 10s have this sort of Spark and, for the most part, I react to them in some way that sticks with me (having multiple panic attacks because Code Geass's intensity, crying nonstop at the last two episodes of FMAB, feeling validated by the real depiction of depression in Charlotte, etc etc). But Kuroko didn't have any of that. It's almost a 10/10 because it's just that damn good, but it's missing that emotional reaction that all my 10/10s have.
Mar 1, 2020 9:40 AM

Apr 2019
Definitely HxH... if parts of the Chimera Ant Arc weren't boring, then it would be a guaranteed 10. But for now it's a 9.5
Mar 1, 2020 10:07 AM

Jul 2016
horridhendy said:
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:

I haven't actually seen the movie yet - it's on my plan to watch but the reviews pretty much said it wasn't as good as the TV show. From some of the images/clips I've seen, the animation looks stunning. I have seen THAT transformation, vroom vroom. What did you give the series then? Did you prefer the film overall?

Also, I agree with you about Anthy, she's a little annoying - probably my least favourite character. I feel bad about it but I found it kinda hilarious every time she got completely bitch slapped. Probably wouldn't have laughed if I liked her more.

I do prefer the film overall, mostly because it's a hell of a lot prettier. Backgrounds, costume/character design, you name it. My only real gripe with it is that if I hadn't watched the tv show first, I'm not sure I would have understood what was going on. It streamlines and trims down the story from the anime so much that I can see it being hard to parse for a new viewer. More of an art book than a plot movie.
Mar 1, 2020 10:47 AM

Jul 2019
Mar 1, 2020 10:58 AM

Nov 2019
Fate Zero. There was too much monologuing. A certain villain made certain fights completely trivial and it ruined the build-up and depth of the fights. I prefer fights where both parties are neck and neck. They can fully utilize their potential like this.
Mar 1, 2020 11:06 AM
Jul 2018
I took a look at my Anilist profile and this is what I found out so far...

Fruits Basket (2019)
This has the biggest potential to get a 10/10. But since it's kind of a rehash of the first series, I gave it a lower score (I may give a 10 for the 2nd season).

AOT S3P2
I would give this a 10, but the amount of popularity it had back then ruined my liking for the series in general.

Mob Psycho 100 2
I can't really pinpoint on what's holding me back on this. I guess a lot of the characters weren't really that great.

Nichijou
While highly entertaining, a 9.5 is the best I could give for an epsiodic SoL show

The World God Only Knows 3
TWGOK didn't adapt parts of the manga before this. Not to mention ending it in a "read the manga" ending.
Mar 1, 2020 11:19 AM

Nov 2019
I would say 4 animes in this aspect. Hyouka, Mob Psycho 100 II and both the seasons of Oregairu and SAO Alicization.

Hyouka did almost everything perfectly. But one thing that stops me from giving it is that it got boring in quite some times.

Mob Psycho 100 II- I really loved. Probably one of my favourite 2019 animes but in my opinion, the last episode didn't impress me.

Oregairu- To summarise, first season had too much comedy and the second season had too much drama. We still didn't get the balance between comedy and drama. But nevertheless, I loved it. Hyped for season 3.

SAO Alicization- The universally accepted best arc of SAO but it's still SAO. Do I even need to state the reasons? I loved part 1 bt the fight with Quinella disappointed me. In part 2, the character of Gabriel disappointed me. But it did everything else correctly until now. Hyped for part 3.
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Mar 1, 2020 11:22 AM
Jul 2018
the 2005 OVA, Karas is probably closest to being a masterpiece. I honestly can't remember exactly why I gave it 9 though.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 4 hours ago

23 by traed »»
4 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

68 by DarkFirefly72 »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

26 by Ex-Aid »»
19 minutes ago

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 7 hours ago

12 by Ex-Aid »»
32 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

100 by FanofAction »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.